PDA

View Full Version : Echo And The Bunnymen

BrickTop24
01-21-2010, 09:45 AM
I haven't seen them live since Street Scene 97. Anyone else looking forward to seeing them?

Pixiessp
01-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Oh yes!!!!!!

CellarOwl
01-21-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm really looking forward to this, but not with the inevitable conflict that's going to happen.

wstsidela
01-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Absolutely

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VM6j14DDtGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VM6j14DDtGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BrickTop24
01-21-2010, 10:22 AM
yeah that's what sucks about friday is the conflicts with some of the acts. but i hope to see them again this year.

Lt. Bowie
01-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Why are they not subheadling?! They're a big deal!

hendrixfan143
01-21-2010, 12:28 PM
i am also very surprised at how low they are, but it doesn't effect them as a band. They were amazing in OCTOBER and i don't expect them to disappoint at coachella, One of my favorite bands of all time.

RODGERRAMJET
01-21-2010, 12:38 PM
I haven't seen Echo & the Bunnymen since way back in their beginning, 1980 I think. It was in a small club in New York City called The Peppermint Lounge. A "local" NYC band called Plan 9 opened for them. The opening band was excellent, too. Wonder whatever happened to Plan 9....After all these years, very much looking to E&TBM's set at Coachella.

Mickjagger00
01-21-2010, 12:40 PM
They havent tourd since 06 that could be why there name is lower on the lineup

HAMMERHEAD
01-21-2010, 12:47 PM
i mean realistically they're only 1 line below where they should be (below vampire weekend/grizzly bear?!?!), but then again so are several artists on that poster. come coachella weekend that shit wont matter anyways

darksideofkaos.
01-21-2010, 01:36 PM
They havent tourd since 06 that could be why there name is lower on the lineup

They were touring quite a bit last year, Ian has even been doing solo acoustic shows from what I've heard.

exile
01-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Yes.

Rescue live
oozHfqtSXAU

Do It Clean live
r1lEaxvSQpE

Never Stop live
ixyq4EH776U

anonimouse
01-21-2010, 01:43 PM
i am also very surprised at how low they are, but it doesn't effect them as a band. They were amazing in OCTOBER and i don't expect them to disappoint at coachella, One of my favorite bands of all time.

nokia theatre? yea that show was amazing! played all of ocean rain and then a whole other set, didnt expect them to play that long

their set however HAS to be either right after the sun goes down or at night. daytime would just be wrong

hendrixfan143
01-21-2010, 01:50 PM
nokia theatre? yea that show was amazing! played all of ocean rain and then a whole other set, didnt expect them to play that long

their set however HAS to be either right after the sun goes down or at night. daytime would just be wrong

agreed, i don't get how pission pit is ahead of them, but maybe echo will be ignored by the people who don't already love them

joppy-slow
01-21-2010, 02:53 PM
This is a huge draw for me, as I've always wanted to see Echo in concert, but just never had the opportunity... I hope they play some of their slower ballads (Forgiven) and they play the outdoor Theatre or they would even sound better in the Gobi.

panchobot
01-21-2010, 02:55 PM
What are their current setlists like?

KickerConspiracy
01-21-2010, 03:18 PM
I love Echo, but I don't think they're much more popular than Paul Weller, and he played to maybe 100 people in the late afternoon on the Outdoor. I think the best Echo can hope for is a 6:30 pm slot in the outdoor.

Likely:

Fri Main - Jay Z > TCV/LCD > Vampire Weekend
Fri Outdoor - Specials > TCV/LCD > Passion Pit > Echo

ballroomdancer22
01-21-2010, 03:23 PM
maybe if ian's voice sounded like it did in the 80's...but his pipes are not what they use to

blackchango
01-21-2010, 04:19 PM
I love Echo, but I don't think they're much more popular than Paul Weller, and he played to maybe 100 people in the late afternoon on the Outdoor. I think the best Echo can hope for is a 6:30 pm slot in the outdoor.

Likely:

Fri Main - Jay Z > TCV/LCD > Vampire Weekend
Fri Outdoor - Specials > TCV/LCD > Passion Pit > Echo

Spot on ! Perfect sunset act !

ZackQ
01-22-2010, 12:14 PM
So let me ask you hardcore fans, as someone who has never really gotten into Echo and the Bunnymen, do I have any chance at getting into them before Coachella? Would I appreciate them anyways?

hendrixfan143
01-22-2010, 12:23 PM
yes. Listen to ocean rain, maybe like 3 times, but really listen to it. If not, then at least you know you won't regret missing them. You can spare 2 hours of the next three months to listen to echo

summerkid
01-22-2010, 12:24 PM
If you like post punk then i see no reason why you couldnt get into them. They are a great band and have some very accessible stuff.

Saw them at the Nokia in October, man what a great show and set list.

ZackQ
01-22-2010, 12:26 PM
yes. Listen to ocean rain, maybe like 3 times, but really listen to it. If not, then at least you know you won't regret missing them. You can spare 2 hours of the next three months to listen to echo

I can easily spare that time. I can probably spare time to listen to another album or too also. I've got Ocean Rain on right now, and I'm already liking it. What else would you reccommend?

mozfan27
01-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Does anyone know if they still play porcupine era material. That album is just too good, Im guessing that they still play Ocean Rain.

jamesc2929
01-22-2010, 03:03 PM
They were excellent even in the rain at All Points West. if you havent had the chance, see them! I also hope they are on the outdoor stage, or better yet in one of the tents. I have seen them many times, and I never miss them. No matter the conflict, i will see them again.

KickerConspiracy
01-22-2010, 04:25 PM
So let me ask you hardcore fans, as someone who has never really gotten into Echo and the Bunnymen, do I have any chance at getting into them before Coachella? Would I appreciate them anyways?

Find All My Colors(Zimbo) (I think it's on Porcupine). Play. Repeat. That is all.

chairmenmeow47
01-22-2010, 04:26 PM
i don't care how boring randy says they were at APW. i am fucking there. SO excited for echo.

hendrixfan143
01-22-2010, 04:28 PM
I can easily spare that time. I can probably spare time to listen to another album or too also. I've got Ocean Rain on right now, and I'm already liking it. What else would you reccommend?

heaven up here is a really really cool album

SEEDYMIG420
01-22-2010, 08:06 PM
See if you could find the BBC Peel session of Echo & the Bunnymen. Porcupine is a realy good album, but I personaly like Heaven Up Here more. Ocean Rain of course. Crocodiles is another great album too.

CiderMouseRules
01-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Put me in the "They were awesome at Nokia" camp. It was one of my concert highlights of the year.

amyzzz
01-23-2010, 09:36 AM
I saw them at Reading 99. All I remember was The Cutter though because I haven't listened to alot of their stuff.

philabuster
01-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Their show at the Fox Theater in Oakland last October was as good as any show I've seen by them going back to the 80s. They are still vital both live and on record.

pachucasunrise
01-23-2010, 11:05 AM
I just got their first four albums and I'm really, really impressed. They might be my #2 band for Friday. (Behind the Avett Brothers.)

Cherita Chen
01-25-2010, 06:52 PM
ECHO!!!

paulb
01-25-2010, 06:57 PM
I love their music, but I just saw a recent live show of theirs on Directv and it didnt look as amazing as I was imagining them live in my head... I still wanna see them big time...

darthlaker
01-25-2010, 07:44 PM
i'm really looking forward to seeing echo and bunnymen for the first time. hope they play the main stage.

motionnn77
01-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Looking forward to them as well. The Killing Moon is a song that I really connect with. Rescue...so many others. Have never seen them.

hendrixfan143
01-25-2010, 08:04 PM
I love their music, but I just saw a recent live show of theirs on Directv and it didnt look as amazing as I was imagining them live in my head... I still wanna see them big time...

yeah that was the sxsw show, that sucked. But the song choice wasn't taht great and the crowed sucked. Plus things always suck on tv

sacleonard
01-25-2010, 08:09 PM
They are very high on my list for Friday. They have such a great catalog of songs.

sonnyboy11
01-25-2010, 11:54 PM

In their heyday, Bunnies were a real force live. Plenty of recorded material out there to back up that assertion. Nowadays, Ian's voice just does not pack the wallop it used to. Years of smoking, drinking and generally being a fark up. That said, I was also at the Nokia Ocean Rain show (my 4th time seeing them), and once Ian was warmed up, right around the point they launched into Bring On the Dancing Horses, his voice really opened up and the band were absolutely killing it. Back Of Love and the Cutter were as good as they have ever sounded. Definitely a top draw for me this Coachella.

brycerosen
01-26-2010, 05:07 AM
i am pumped i really wanted tears for fears but instead got a band that does a lot fo songs i thought were tears for fears

jamesc2929
01-28-2010, 02:33 AM
A must see just for the older stuff. The new CD is well..., but go and listen just for "Killing Moon," "The Cutter," "Dancing Horses," especially if they end up in the tent (I hope). Saw them at APW in the rain, and it was worth the wait.

thedevious
01-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Will glance at as I walk past slowly, hopefully during some cutter tracks.

stewboss
01-28-2010, 08:51 PM

You're totally right about the time slot, but perhaps misguided on the Weller attendance last year. While his crowd was smaller than he deserved, there was a reasonable crowd and one that seemed to grow as the set went on.

Hopefully these guys can draw a few people in during the sunset hour.

Duvel
01-29-2010, 12:00 AM
they will be...and are, great...

far gone and out
01-29-2010, 06:27 AM
i saw them in the fall with a small orchestra, they performed ocean rain and some its. fuckin' ace.

i've seen them a few other times too and they are always wonderful.

public image ltd., the specials and echo and the bunnymen all on the same day is my teenage wet dream.

DaFunkyPrecedent
01-29-2010, 09:41 AM
I can see them headlining the Outdoor stage or at least getting a night slot. I mean, people fuckin' LOVE Echo and Bunnymen.

Main Stage: Passion Pit -> Vamp Weekend (Sunset) -> TCV -> Hova.

Outdoor: She & Him - Grizzly Bear (Sunset) -> Public Image -> Echo.

HandBanana
01-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Has anyone seen them recently?

Does they still got the magic?

chucky canuck
01-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Find All My Colors(Zimbo) (I think it's on Porcupine). Play. Repeat. That is all.

Heaven Up Here, actually. A very underrated album with great songs such as No Dark Things, With A Hip and A Promise. I wonder if they include HUH material on their set list

KickerConspiracy
01-29-2010, 12:21 PM
You're totally right about the time slot, but perhaps misguided on the Weller attendance last year. While his crowd was smaller than he deserved, there was a reasonable crowd and one that seemed to grow as the set went on.

Hopefully these guys can draw a few people in during the sunset hour.

Maybe more people did come later. I remember walking up after he had just started and being able to basically walk all the way to the stage.

KickerConspiracy
01-29-2010, 12:24 PM
I can see them headlining the Outdoor stage or at least getting a night slot. I mean, people fuckin' LOVE Echo and Bunnymen.

Main Stage: Passion Pit -> Vamp Weekend (Sunset) -> TCV -> Hova.

Outdoor: She & Him - Grizzly Bear (Sunset) -> Public Image -> Echo.

People do love Echo, but they tour a lot. I've seen them at least twice since they started touring in the late 90s. With LCD playing the main before Jay-Z, that probably makes TCV the outdoor closer. I think Sunset or earlier.

hendrixfan143
01-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Heaven Up Here, actually. A very underrated album with great songs such as No Dark Things, With A Hip and A Promise. I wonder if they include HUH material on their set list

when i saw them they played show of strength. Would die for over the wall though