PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Weekend Lands First No. 1 Album

Caligula
01-20-2010, 09:57 AM
HOLY SHIT. 124.000 copies are fuckin ridiculous numbers these days

New York band Vampire Weekend sees its sophomore set "Contra" debut at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 with 124,000 copies sold according to Nielsen SoundScan. The set is only the 12th independently distributed album to top the Billboard 200 chart since SoundScan began powering the list in May of 1991.

Vampire Weekend not only celebrates its first No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 chart, but the New York band also notches its best sales week yet. The quartet's previous best sales frame was earned when its self-titled first album opened with 28,000 copies in its opening week. That set debuted and peaked at No. 17 on the chart and has since sold 498,000.

"Contra" also is the second independently-distributed album to hit No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart in the past year. It is distributed by Alternative Distribution Alliance and marks the first indie set to top the tally since Pearl Jam's self-released "Backspacer" debuted at No. 1 on the chart dated Oct. 10, 2009.

"Contra" is the lone debut in the top 10 this week, as the second-highest entry comes from Omarion's "Ollusion" at No. 19 with 19,000 copies. This isn't out of the ordinary for January, as the month's release schedule is usually light on blockbuster new albums.

PassiveTheory
01-20-2010, 09:58 AM
This couldn't have gone in any of the previous dozen other Vampire Weekend threads?

Also, good for them. The new record is great.

Caligula
01-20-2010, 10:13 AM
This couldn't have gone in any of the previous dozen other Vampire Weekend threads?

NO.BECAUSE.THERE.AREN'T.THREADS.ABOUT.THEIR.FIRST. N1.ALBUM.:winkiss

PassiveTheory
01-20-2010, 10:18 AM
There are threads about Vampire Weekend, though, and this is clearly Vampire Weekend-related.

Caligula
01-20-2010, 10:51 AM
There are threads about Vampire Weekend, though, and this is clearly Vampire Weekend-related.

can you sleep well tonight or this thread has ruined your day ?

PassiveTheory
01-20-2010, 11:24 AM
I sleep pretty well knowing that I can engage this message board in such a way as to not be a nuisance for the entirety of the board's membership.

guedita
01-20-2010, 11:34 AM
To be fair, Caligula is just creating as many music threads as possible in an effort to prove that he is not, in fact, a Warped Tour enthusiast.

Be thankful this one isn't riddled with youtube videos......yet.

BrettShipes
01-20-2010, 11:40 AM
PLENTY of other bands have had No. 1 Albums, Vampire Weekend is NOT the first. Pshhhh.

Caligula
01-20-2010, 12:15 PM
To be fair, Caligula is just creating as many music threads as possible in an effort to prove that he is not, in fact, a Warped Tour enthusiast.

Be thankful this one isn't riddled with youtube videos......yet.

OH OH OH.

OH

weeklymix
01-20-2010, 12:15 PM
The thread creator and subject of this thread have ensured my inability to achieve an erection for the next three to four hours.

Caligula
01-20-2010, 12:16 PM
The thread creator and subject of this thread have ensured my inability to achieve an erection for the next three to four hours.

I'm happy for you. I'm not gay

ltotehinzi
01-21-2010, 02:16 AM
It really is a really good album.

alex gardner
01-21-2010, 02:48 AM
i'm feeling kind of meh on the album so far, but the track with autotune sucks so bad and is so hilarious, i can't help but be happy for these guys. really surprising to see they put up these kinds of numbers though, regardless of who you are right now, pushing 100k+ copies of an album is almost unheard of, especially for a band like vampire weekend. CONGRATS BOYS.

also, glad to see that passive theory is still playing messageboard deputy and douching up every thread he posts in as a holier than thou asshole. cut your fucking hair and lighten up, big guy.

tishabennet
01-21-2010, 03:35 AM

Also, good for them. The new record is great.

:thu