PDA

View Full Version : Tent Only Camping

fiopadp7791
01-19-2010, 09:09 PM
If I understand the camping FAQ correctly, if we drive to the fest, you're forcing us to buy a car camping pass and park it? The FAQ says "Tent Only" campers have to buy a car camping pass if they drive to the fest... yuck.

Because I'd prefer tent only camping so I can drive in/out the grounds if I want. There's no additional parking for the tent only campers outside of the campsite?

frazzles
01-19-2010, 09:11 PM
That's the way I read it.

gaypalmsprings
01-19-2010, 09:14 PM
They've never charged campers extra for parking. This will work out OK for single campers, but way more expensive if you have more people.....well, actually the same as previous years. Car camping is way cheaper than before.

aguila26
01-19-2010, 09:16 PM
As i understand it, you're not forced to buy a car camping pass, but it costs the same if you don't park your car in the camping area, because they give you an equal 10x30 spot.

So, no car = more space to camp.

fiopadp7791
01-19-2010, 11:11 PM
As i understand it, you're not forced to buy a car camping pass, but it costs the same if you don't park your car in the camping area, because they give you an equal 10x30 spot.

So, no car = more space to camp.

Well yeah, this is what I want, but the part that concerns me is how I'm reading this in the FAQ-
"If you are driving a car to the event and camping overnight you must purchase a spot and camp in the car camping area. All cars staying overnight during the festival must be in a car camping spot."

I'm really hoping they maybe by some miracle revise this and give the option of tent only camping with a separate parking lot for people driving in. Because seriously- who's gonna hoof it there and camp? Or am I just misinterpreting the above statement?

fiopadp7791
01-19-2010, 11:13 PM
They've never charged campers extra for parking. This will work out OK for single campers, but way more expensive if you have more people.....well, actually the same as previous years. Car camping is way cheaper than before.

My issue isn't being charged for parking. My issue is it doesn't seem like they're offering parking, but they're making you park the car in the site just because you drove.

condenser
01-20-2010, 01:33 AM
The way this is worded is very confusing

fiopadp7791
01-20-2010, 10:04 AM
In the Camping FAQ-

Where can we park if we are camping on site with a group but want one or more of our cars available to drive out for supplies during the 3 day event?

Answer: STAND BY

Psychic Friend, it would be appreciated if the lovely brain trust you work with (and that you're a part of hehe) could get this resolved before tix go on sale Fri.

ToddThaGod
01-20-2010, 10:12 AM
yea i'd like to know also. if they are doing it that way it's fucking retarded because i want to beable to drive to the supermarket to get food/water everyday.

fiopadp7791
01-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Per Psychic Friend-
I was told that cars parked overnight will be required to park in car camping.
There were many changes made this year. Now the whole area is an EVENT. And you get your festival wristband when you get there. If you are camping and driving they send you to car camping. If you are dropped off and camping you go to tent only camping. If you are rv camping they send you to rv camping. if you are not camping you park in day parking.

She sent me this answer in a private message, but I have asked her a follow-up question:
There is the question in the FAQ- "Where can we park if we are camping on site with a group but want one or more of our cars available to drive out for supplies during the 3 day event?", the answer says "Stand By". Do you know when this will be answered?

ToddThaGod
01-20-2010, 11:41 AM
thank you fiop for being pro-active with this question. i don't understand how it hasn't been answered yet. but the sooner the better because then i can begin to plan.

CellarOwl
01-20-2010, 11:43 AM
San Quin-chella.

aguila26
01-20-2010, 11:45 AM
i'd also like to know what fiop asked.

Pandroid
01-20-2010, 11:46 AM
How easy will it be to get camping gear once i get to LA? I'm flying in from New Orleans and planning on buying gear there

CellarOwl
01-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Just find a Target/Walmart/etc.

fiopadp7791
01-20-2010, 11:55 AM
How easy will it be to get camping gear once i get to LA? I'm flying in from New Orleans and planning on buying gear there

I buy my tent and other misc camping gear every year once I get to L.A. I just go to a Walmart somewhere along the way since I'm usually driving from LAX. I'd maybe buy the gear as far away from the venue as possible, because people might all try to buy supplies at the closest Wally-World to the venue, which could lead to some items being picked over. So if you're flying into LAX, go to a Walmart or Target closer to the airport as opposed to closer to the venue.

psychic friend
01-20-2010, 12:19 PM
This year is not like last year. This year people driving who want to camp must camp in a car camping spot. If you want to tent only camp then you either need to be dropped off or you would have to buy another spot, park your car in car camping and walk all your stuff over to tent only camping spot. I am sure whoever you park next to in car camping would love the extra unused space. and if there are 2 of you then it works out to be the same price as last year but more room. iF there are more than 2 of you then it works out to be cheaper.

any questions that say STAND BY will be answered if/when an answer becomes known. the festival is a few months away. that answer might never be answered so in the mean time, go with the current info. If it does not work for what you want to do, sorry about that, many things are different this year. we realize people freak out over change or things not going exaxctly how they want them to be.

fiopadp7791
01-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the info. This at least sorta clears things up.

ToddThaGod
01-20-2010, 01:20 PM
yea thanks. if it's like that then you might as well just do car camping. i guess that's what the majority of the people are doing this year?? i'm just not sure how i feel about a rent-a-car being around a bunch of crazy people for 3 days.

hopefully we don't get hit with bad weather. wouldn't want monday morning to be insane getting out.

fiopadp7791
01-20-2010, 01:28 PM
yea thanks. if it's like that then you might as well just do car camping. i guess that's what the majority of the people are doing this year?? i'm just not sure how i feel about a rent-a-car being around a bunch of crazy people for 3 days.

hopefully we don't get hit with bad weather. wouldn't want monday morning to be insane getting out.

Todd, for you you might wanna read my rent-a-car how-to thread for some advice on that. Especially the loss-damage waiver.
http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15443

ultraslow
01-20-2010, 03:39 PM
I think these are burning questions on many attendees minds.

Thanks for the info so far.

I will continue to stand by for answers.

n3glect
01-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Regardless of your camping decision, BE SURE to take out the damage waiver on your rental car. I've sustained damage to my car in day parking on more than one occasion.