PDA

View Full Version : Thom Yorke vs. Noel Gallagher

nahuatldream
02-21-2007, 01:28 AM
So...who wins?

Noel Gallagher's being a bitch, again (http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=1611)

nahuatldream
02-21-2007, 01:44 AM
Bigger than Elvis, he is... (http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=1587)

C0linS
02-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Noel. Every time.
Some things he means and some things are just bullish cockyness. I'm pretty sure "bigger than elvis" falls into the latter catogory but saying that sting is irrelevant and that as much as radiohead piss and moan that the world is going down the tiolet everyone still just wants to hear creep, spot on if you ask me.

TomAz
02-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Thom Yorke shits more talent in one sitting than Gallagher could ever hope to have.

vinylmartyr
02-21-2007, 11:32 AM
I think they both write great lyrics.

amyzzz
02-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Thom Yorke shits more talent in one sitting than Gallagher could ever hope to have.
It's funny how much people talk about Thom Yorke's shit on this message board.

fatbastard
02-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Noel.

TomAz
02-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Andrew says that Radiohead is the second coming of Jesus.

downingthief
02-21-2007, 12:22 PM
This isn't even close. Thom in a landslide. And I LIKE Oasis, but come on...no comparison.

TomAz
02-21-2007, 12:23 PM
It's funny how much people talk about Thom Yorke's shit on this message board.

yeah. he's got good shit.

wmgaretjax
02-21-2007, 12:27 PM
ha ha. you have to be kidding me? is there even any question?

oh wait, people actually said noel....

wow...

i hate oasis.

jerpar24
02-21-2007, 12:41 PM
I say Noel

elChurro
02-21-2007, 12:42 PM
"what the hell's a wonderwall anyway?" :P

codytwo
02-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Oasis represents everything that is wrong with anything.

kimery08
02-21-2007, 12:45 PM
thom thom thom thom thom.

dontfeedthebird
02-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Is Thom even into scat? Am I?

jerpar24
02-21-2007, 12:53 PM
"what the hell's a wonderwall anyway?" :P

The name of the song is from a movie that came out in 1968 called Wonderwall. The Soundtrack was scored by some guy named George Harrison. You may have heard of him lol. Noel got the name from the movie but he said "It's a song about an imaginary friend who's gonna come and save you from yourself."

TomAz
02-21-2007, 12:54 PM
George Harrison is dead. Noel isn't, but he should be.

summerkid
02-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Noel. Every time.
Some things he means and some things are just bullish cockyness. I'm pretty sure "bigger than elvis" falls into the latter catogory but saying that sting is irrelevant and that as much as radiohead piss and moan that the world is going down the tiolet everyone still just wants to hear creep, spot on if you ask me.

hmm is that why Kid A, which didn't even have an official single released, was their only album to debut at number 1 on the charts in the US.

amyzzz
02-21-2007, 12:58 PM
The name of the song is from a movie that came out in 1968 called Wonderwall. The Soundtrack was scored by some guy named George Harrison. You may have heard of him lol. Noel got the name from the movie but he said "It's a song about an imaginary friend who's gonna come and save you from yourself."
FYI, that person may have been quoting a Travis song in which the lyrics are "What's a wonderwall anyway?" I think the song is called "Writing to Reach You."

jerpar24
02-21-2007, 01:00 PM
George Harrison is dead. Noel isn't, but he should be.

I know George Harrison is dead

jerpar24
02-21-2007, 01:01 PM
FYI, that person may have been quoting a Travis song in which the lyrics are "What's a wonderwall anyway?" I think the song is called "Writing to Reach You."

O I didn't know that. I'm not a big Travis fan. Thanks for letting me know.

TomAz
02-21-2007, 01:03 PM
I know George Harrison is dead

Well, good for you. Now if you could only master part 2.

summerkid
02-21-2007, 01:04 PM

the same George Harrison that called their music "silly" and a "passing fad"

hypervera
02-21-2007, 01:07 PM
noel has better lyrics thom only sings oh raindrops oh raindrops oh raindrops and i really like radiohead, but if i have to kill one of them id kill yorke

jerpar24
02-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Well, good for you. Now if you could only master part 2.

Haha

Mr.Nipples
02-21-2007, 01:11 PM
thom...this thread offends me

TomAz
02-21-2007, 01:15 PM
noel has better lyrics thom only sings oh raindrops oh raindrops oh raindrops and i really like radiohead, but if i have to kill one of them id kill yorke

How many special people change
How many lives are living strange
Where were you when we were getting high?
Slowly walking down the hall
Faster than a cannon ball
Where were you while we were getting high?

Some day you will find me
Caught beneath the landslide
In a champagne supernova in the sky
In a champagne supernova
A champagne supernova in the sky

Wake up the dawn and ask her why
A dreamer dreams she never dies
Wipe that tear away now from your eye

In a champagne supernova

Cos people believe that they're
Gonna get away for the summer
But you and I, we live and die
The world's still spinning round
We don't know why
Why, why, why, why

Where were you while we were getting high?

In a champagne supernova

Cos people believe that they're
Gonna get away for the summer
But you and I, we live and die
The world's still spinning round
We don't know why
Why, why, why, why

We were getting high
We were getting high
We were getting high
We were getting high

these lyrics are dreadful. They are meaningless drivel. They're not poetic and they're not even prosaic. They're just stupid.

amyzzz
02-21-2007, 01:16 PM
I think that's the only Oasis song I like.

TomAz
02-21-2007, 01:18 PM
I like the song too. The music is pretty good. but the lyrics are swill.

jerpar24
02-21-2007, 01:20 PM
I really like that song but it means alot to me.

TomAz
02-21-2007, 01:21 PM
hopefully it means a lot to you because you got laid to it or something. because if it means a lot to you because of the lyrics, your life is meaningless too.

amyzzz
02-21-2007, 01:21 PM
I think it's funny that he sings "champagne supernover in the sky."

jerpar24
02-21-2007, 01:24 PM
hopefully it means a lot to you because you got laid to it or something. because if it means a lot to you because of the lyrics, your life is meaningless too.

First off your such a smart ass. Well It has to do with a girl and a really crazy time in my life.

TomAz
02-21-2007, 01:26 PM
First off your such a smart ass. Well It has to do with a girl and a really crazy time in my life.

Don't shoot the messenger.

jerpar24
02-21-2007, 01:30 PM
I just find it funny TomAz. You always have this smart ass remark you remind me of my older cousins.

C0linS
02-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Radiohead don't want anyone else involved in that little thing they've got going on. Their thing is: Don't look at us. Don't photo us. Don't interview us. In fact, don't listen to our music. Where does it end? It ends with Thom Yorke saying I've written the most fantastic piece of classical music ever but the only way you can hear it is by jamming a jack plug into my ear."
Noel in Q a while back, still makes me laugh out loud.

I love this argument, ive got two mates who are massive radiohead fans and they gang up on me on this one evrytime either of the two is mentioned. Ive just not got the patience or tolerance to cope with radiohead.

wmgaretjax
02-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Ive just not got the patience or tolerance to cope with radiohead.

it's ok. stupid people don't realize; good things don't always come easy.

amyzzz
02-21-2007, 04:21 PM
If Coachella adds Thom Yorke solo, I'm gonna cream my jeans. They won't, but I'm just sayin. My man and I had a religious experience the other night listening to The Eraser CD.

C0linS
02-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Damn, I walked into that one a wee bit!
Youre right though, good things dont come easy but I dont like listening to albums where, come the end, I feel like I should geta medal for sitting and making it to the end.
What I was really meaning was that I cant be bothered with all the crap that just seems to follow radiohead. Their music doesnt do anything for me and their personalities just rub me up the wrong way. Some of the stuff they spout is just nonsense, like equating musical taste and intellect, pffft. ;)

amyzzz
02-21-2007, 04:34 PM
COlin, I feel that way about the Arcade Fire.

atom heart
02-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Noel is just the biggest, loudest attention whore in the entire music industry. Thom hides behind poles whenever people come near. Okay, so Thom's constant spouting about nuclear waste, rising tides, and Tony Blair being a git and all DOES get really annoying, but the man does have way more class than Noel.

"I never went to f****** university. I don’t know what a paint brush is, I never went to art school." [Noel]

i did. it taught me to respect other artists. [Thom]

[deadairspace]

leo01g
02-21-2007, 04:56 PM
I think Thom is more creative with his lyrics and they have more emotion without trying so hard. I like Oasis but i think they try a little too hard to have meaningful lyrics

C0linS
02-21-2007, 05:00 PM
COlin, I feel that way about the Arcade Fire.

Aw, I like the arcade fire but I've not read or seen them interviewed, will I only not like them if I do?

Sorry but:
"I dont know what a paint brush is, I didnt go to art school."
I think thats a great wee quote.

atom heart
02-21-2007, 05:07 PM
I like the Arcade Fire too but they haven't become people in my mind, they're still just a band.

I like a few Oasis songs but I definately don't like Oasis as people (Noel and Liam, although Liam is much less annoying).

krunchy
02-21-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm not going to sit here and start a rally for thom regardless of how much I love his album and radiohead stuff, but seriously, who the fuck can apologise for noel. He is a wanker. There is nothing else to it. He needs to be stabbed, not shot, so you can see his face change right up close as he shits it and realises he isn't so tough anymore.
He is the kinda guy that starts a fight with you in the pub to try and steal your girlfriend. He is a chav of the highest order.

bballarl
02-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Radiohead is art rock. Oasis is a rock n' roll band. Let's stop comparing the two. They do totally different things. They embody different personas. Enough already.

amyzzz
02-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Noel is a wanker, but he's kind of endearing JUST BECAUSE he's such a wanker. As far as Oasis goes, I can take-it-or-leave-it.

Radiohead is the most important band of my generation. Thom Yorke personally is probably an ass, but that's irrelevant to me.

vinylmartyr
02-21-2007, 05:31 PM
I was gonna say the same thing but people are gonna say Radiohead writes Rock n Roll songs. So get ready.

vinylmartyr
02-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Radiohead is the most important band of my generation.

Cough*U2*Cough

amyzzz
02-21-2007, 05:32 PM
I was gonna say the same thing but people are gonna say Radiohead writes Rock n Roll songs. So get ready.
I dunno. Radiohead USED to write rock n roll songs.

amyzzz
02-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Cough*U2*Cough
U2's music is not important to me anymore, although I greatly respect Bono and his politics, even if he IS an egomaniac.

Martin Gore
02-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Radiohead is the most important band of my generation.

I thought you loved me Amy. I feel betrayed.

randy ricochet
02-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Whatever all you fuckin yanks think of Noel Gallagher, he will always succeed because you are talking about him!
Take the attention away and he won't be so cocky!!!

amyzzz
02-21-2007, 05:39 PM
I thought you loved me Amy. I feel betrayed.
Oh god, I loved you madly in the early 90's, Martin. Unfortunately, I can't live on sex alone.

wmgaretjax
02-21-2007, 05:41 PM
I agree with Amy. Their music isn't always the BEST, but they are definately the most important. If an album like Kid A can nab no. 1, you know you are doing something amazingly right. That album pushed the envelope in an extraordinary amount of regards, and it was still amazingly well received by the public.

and Oasis well... I get that song confused with that kevin costner movie... but then I remember it doesn't really matter, because they are both garbage.

amyzzz
02-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Radiohead makes me want to understand music theory more because the music ALONE is sheer genius, but add to that the poignant, sincere, and sometimes confused lyrics about love and life in our modern world AND Thom's AMAZING voice, and you just can't get better than that.

(...Although Catherine Wheel is still my favorite band ever.)

ThomThom
02-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Noel Gallagher is a bitter shit head that had two great studio albums with his band and than sank to the bottom of the earth from a music perspective. Radiohead has time and time again showed us that they are not going anywhere anytime soon. Radiohead constantly provides us with genre changing mind boggling music that interests people of any age. Oasis as I said had two great albums and than felt they were the fucking Beatles. Noel Gallagher is a complete and utter knob head...plain and simple. Does anybody remember when they were practically giving away tickets to the hollywood bowl for Oasis and Jet???

summerkid
02-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Whatever all you fuckin yanks think of Noel Gallagher, he will always succeed because you are talking about him!

We hardly talk about Oasis in the States, they are pretty much irrelevant here.

C0linS
02-21-2007, 07:43 PM
What I find kinda interesting is the ferocity with which alot of the radiohead fans seem to actually HATE Noel, apart from the "no matter what you fucking yanks...." comment (seriously mate, not cool) I dont think there's the same strength of feeling going the other way.

This isnt just a we hate oasis thing, I've talked to a lot of radiohead fans who just cannot hear a bad word against them without exploding in a rage. I've gotta hand it to you guys, you get stuck in!

Personally I think Noel's got that "good" arrogance, Liam takes it too far but I think its hillarious that he does.

He is a wanker. There is nothing else to it. He needs to be stabbed, not shot, so you can see his face change right up close as he shits it and realises he isn't so tough anymore.
He is the kinda guy that starts a fight with you in the pub to try and steal your girlfriend. He is a chav of the highest order.

wow, chill.

codytwo
02-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Noel Gallagher doesn't believe in the power of music beyond the power it has to fill his wallet and satisfy his ambition. He is scum.

MarkO
02-21-2007, 08:02 PM
This thread is shameful. While it is true that Oasis haven't put out a truly great album in a while, that's not to take away from just how impressive & dare I say important their first two albums were.

I think Radiohead are a far better band in almost every way but putting down Oasis or the Gallaghers is childish. Their friggin' B side album is better than most bands full albums !

TomAz
02-21-2007, 08:03 PM
most bands are shit.

codytwo
02-21-2007, 08:08 PM
What makes Oasis any more important than Jet? They both put out derivative, shiny, shitty, pop-rock albums. The only thing that made Oasis famous was the collective insanity of the British population.

C0linS
02-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Woohoo, welcome to the righteous side MarkO.

I'm pretty sure that plenty of people here who are dumping on oasis have AT LEAST a couple of oasis albums in the collection.

I genuinely think Oasis and Radiohead were the two most important bands of the nineties, in the UK at least. (see look, I dont like em but realise that other people do)

Oasis more so, you all know my take on this!

wmgaretjax
02-21-2007, 08:15 PM
I have never owned an Oasis album and never will. I don't like their music at all. I don't think there is anything special or important about it. They were influential, but there have been lots of influential bands that were bad music, and infuenced bad music

MarkO
02-21-2007, 08:17 PM
What makes Oasis any more important than Jet? They both put out derivative, shiny, shitty, pop-rock albums. The only thing that made Oasis famous was the collective insanity of the British population.

Nope. Listen to 'Acquiesce', 'The Masterplan' or 'Headshrinker'.

If you don't get it, you just weren't there. I've passed on a couple of chances to go see Oasis over the past few years but I won't forget how excited I was to go see them in '96.

C0linS
02-21-2007, 08:17 PM
The only thing that made Oasis famous was the collective insanity of the British population.

I disagree, I think Definetely Maybe was a giant kick up the arse to a fairly dull scene at the time (in the UK anyways). Live performances (earlier ones in particular) a good ole rock n roll attitude and having something top say for themselves went a long way in making Oasis big.

wmgaretjax
02-21-2007, 08:24 PM
If you don't get it, you just weren't there. I've passed on a couple of chances to go see Oasis over the past few years but I won't forget how excited I was to go see them in '96.

There you go, if you had to "be there" in order to appreciate it, it's probably not good music.

codytwo
02-21-2007, 08:28 PM
They were more of the same shit. Radiohead changed the way people think about music forever. In a huge way. In thirty years, Oasis will be like the Rolling Stones are now, and Radiohead will be like The Beatles. And people will debate them the same way, only their arguments for Oasis will be even more ridiculous and unfounded than the arguments for Keithosaur and Jaggerodicus. (get it? dinosaurs.)

nahuatldream
02-21-2007, 08:29 PM
I have "What's the Story (Morning Glory)?". I like it. I love Radiohead.

C0linS
02-21-2007, 08:38 PM
In thirty years, Oasis will be like the Rolling Stones are now, and Radiohead will be like The Beatles.

Maybe, but the point is people WILL be talking about oasis in 30 years time. Besides, the stones old stuff still sounds good.
I hope radiohead dont inspire as many bands as the beatles...If they do Im outta here!

codytwo
02-21-2007, 08:45 PM
If THAT'S the point, then I'm outta here, too.

MarkO
02-21-2007, 08:59 PM
There you go, if you had to "be there" in order to appreciate it, it's probably not good music.

It's great music.

Benis23
02-22-2007, 12:00 AM
who the fuck is saying noel??? thom wins. so easy.

krunchy
02-22-2007, 02:27 AM

Agreed.

Thom Yorke is a bit of a wanker though. In oxford he is a bit of a OMG WHY ARE YOU STARING AT ME kinda guy when really you are just walking along minding your own business. Really paranoid about nothing that boy...

I stared at him when he wasn't looking...

hypervera
02-22-2007, 03:31 AM
We hardly talk about Oasis in the States, they are pretty much irrelevant here.

because most of the americans have a bad taste for music!! the best bands are from England!!!

krunchy
02-22-2007, 04:39 AM
because most of the americans have a bad taste for music!! the best bands are from England!!!

That's obviously the reason you're going to coachella.....

Britney
02-22-2007, 04:42 AM
Thom and Noel and I had a threesome once.

Or maybe it was two other guys. I don't remember.

randy ricochet
02-22-2007, 04:42 AM
Oasis were the new british super group in the early 90's following the massive birth of the manchester scene. They were out at exactly the right time basing the music on the success of the beatlez with the arrogance and styler of Ian Brown who along with the Stone Roses started the whole new music scene.
Because of this Oasis were cocky twats because its what the audience wanted, and today, whether you yanks like it or don't like it, they are still successful, still have one of the best records ever recorded and really don't give 2 shits what anybody else thinks. There arrogance is what makes them who they are.
I appreciate both musicians and do have to say that Thom York is a miserable bastard but in international music polls, both 'Definitely Maybe..and Ok Computer have been voted number 1'
So there...like I said earlier, if you think he's a wanker, ignore him!

randy ricochet
02-22-2007, 04:45 AM
That's obviously the reason you're going to coachella.....

Yeah, to see Happy Mondays, Good, Bad and the Queen, Kaiser Chiefs, Fratellis, Jesus and Mary Chain, Arctic Monkeys, Jarvis Cocker.......want me to go on!!!!!
We're coming for the craic!!, the weather and for a change

elChurro
02-22-2007, 09:17 AM
I dunno, but whoever wrote the lyrics for the last Shins album is amazing... I think I love em... now that's poetry.

amyzzz
02-22-2007, 09:32 AM
Oasis were the new british super group in the early 90's following the massive birth of the manchester scene. They were out at exactly the right time basing the music on the success of the beatlez with the arrogance and styler of Ian Brown who along with the Stone Roses started the whole new music scene.
Because of this Oasis were cocky twats because its what the audience wanted, and today, whether you yanks like it or don't like it, they are still successful, still have one of the best records ever recorded and really don't give 2 shits what anybody else thinks. There arrogance is what makes them who they are.
I appreciate both musicians and do have to say that Thom York is a miserable bastard but in international music polls, both 'Definitely Maybe..and Ok Computer have been voted number 1'
So there...like I said earlier, if you think he's a wanker, ignore him!
That's funny because I was just thinking, of that style of music, I much prefer The Stone Roses to Oasis.

randy ricochet
02-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Me too. Stone Roses were by far the better band and much cooler!

amyzzz
02-22-2007, 09:38 AM
*high five*

randy ricochet
02-22-2007, 09:42 AM
ok but I am 6ft2. Can you reach?

amyzzz
02-22-2007, 09:43 AM
You can bend down, and I can jump!

elChurro
02-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Oasis cashed in on the whole Beatles thing, haircuts and all.

summerkid
02-22-2007, 11:22 AM

I love Britain's arrogance when it comes to music. They act like they invented rock and roll and I'm pretty sure they believe the Sex Pistols were the first punk band.

amyzzz
02-22-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm American, and most of my favorite bands are British. What does that make me?

summerkid
02-22-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm American, and most of my favorite bands are British. What does that make me?

3SiMkzbug40

This guy. :winkiss

hellok
02-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Thom Yorke is GENIUS!!!

bballarl
02-22-2007, 12:37 PM
How is this a debate? Both bands do different things. Noel does the cocky rock n' roller thing, Thom does the paranoid detached artist thing. Radiohead have made classic records, Oasis have too. Radiohead is an art rock group and Oasis is a rock n' roll group. Radiohead's first two records may have been more guitar based, but not in a classic T. Rex/Stones style ala Oasis. As a musician, I wish I could write 25+ brilliant pop songs like Noel has, but I also wish I could make some of the songs on "The Bends" or "OK Computer". They are two different groups doing two different things. Noel has no ambition of creating a new musical thing, but how is that a fault? He wanted to write brilliant pop songs, he has, he has been successful. I don't think Radiohead ever set out to be a pop group, they weren't, they do cool stuff, they have been successful. So stop this shit.

But for the record, hardcore Radioheads do think everything the band does is brilliant. I was put off from them for a long time because people made them out to be (as Tom quoted me saying yesterday) the Second Coming. Their live show was good, they have made awesome records, but they have had missteps too. No group is perfect.

vinylmartyr
02-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Radiohead changed the way people think about music forever.

FOREVER!!

I like Radiohead better than Oasis but I don't think they are as far apart as people in this thread are making them. I doubt most of the people bitching about Oasis have heard more than their radio singles. Sorry but Radiohead just like Oasis has not made a good album in almost 7 years. Anyway Depeche Mode is bigger than both of them. End of story.

vinylmartyr
02-22-2007, 12:50 PM
How is this a debate? Both bands do different things. Noel does the cocky rock n' roller thing, Thom does the paranoid detached artist thing. Radiohead have made classic records, Oasis have too. Radiohead is an art rock group and Oasis is a rock n' roll group. Radiohead's first two records may have been more guitar based, but not in a classic T. Rex/Stones style ala Oasis. As a musician, I wish I could write 25+ brilliant pop songs like Noel has, but I also wish I could make some of the songs on "The Bends" or "OK Computer". They are two different groups doing two different things. Noel has no ambition of creating a new musical thing, but how is that a fault? He wanted to write brilliant pop songs, he has, he has been successful. I don't think Radiohead ever set out to be a pop group, they weren't, they do cool stuff, they have been successful. So stop this shit.

But for the record, hardcore Radioheads do think everything the band does is brilliant. I was put off from them for a long time because people made them out to be (as Tom quoted me saying yesterday) the Second Coming. Their live show was good, they have made awesome records, but they have had missteps too. No group is perfect.

Sorry Andrew but logic is not invited to this party.

bballarl
02-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Radiohead changed the way people think about music forever? That is such bullshit. The only band who ever did that (or at least that I could argue for), on a massive scale, is The Beatles. Who said that Jeff?

vinylmartyr
02-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Codytwo says They were more of the same shit. Radiohead changed the way people think about music forever. In a huge way. In thirty years, Oasis will be like the Rolling Stones are now, and Radiohead will be like The Beatles. And people will debate them the same way, only their arguments for Oasis will be even more ridiculous and unfounded than the arguments for Keithosaur and Jaggerodicus. (get it? dinosaurs.)

yo!

vinylmartyr
02-22-2007, 12:54 PM
I feel bad knowing most of Radiohead will be dead in 30 years.

vinylmartyr
02-22-2007, 12:56 PM
I wonder If cody is gonna tell me that Radiohead has had more impact on modern music than the Rolling Stones?

codytwo
02-22-2007, 12:58 PM
The reason we are having this discussion is because Noel Gallagher is a twat. It would be one thing if he wrote good pop songs, sold them to lots of people and shut the fuck up. Instead, Noel goes out and trashes people for daring to think that music has any potential to change anything but the number of groupies he gets to fuck and the size of his bank account. Thom Yorke represents the opposite view, that there is an opportunity to send a positive message, expand the horizons of art and the human experience, or provide insight into topics that deserve thoughtful reflection. That is why people will remember Thom Yorke and Radiohead as great artists, but will only remember Noel Gallagher as the asshole from Oasis. That's my point, not who makes better music, but who respects the art form and the listeners more. As far as I'm concerned, Oasis could be wiped off the face of the planet, and we would still have the two albums they made that were worth a shit, and be comfortable in knowing that they would never have done anything better. But Radiohead has consistently created work that inspires and touches me, and will continue to do so.

The Beatles : Radiohead :: The Rolling Stones : Oasis.

vinylmartyr
02-22-2007, 01:00 PM
People probably had this same kinda argument about Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin back in the day.

amyzzz
02-22-2007, 01:05 PM
People probably had this same kinda argument about Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin back in the day.
You're assuming people will remember Oasis in 20, 30 years.

codytwo
02-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Its not bullshit that Radiohead changed the way people think about music forever. Before Kid A and Amnesiac, people were not paying attention to anyone who dared to do anything that experimental. They blended inorganic and organic elements of music in a way that simply had not been done as successfully before. Its not that they were the first ones to use the sounds they were using, but they were the first to wed them with great traditional dynamic songwriting.

vinylmartyr
02-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Before Kid A and Amnesiac, people were not paying attention to anyone who dared to do anything that experimental.

There are more than English speaking people in the world. A.R. Rahman's music has had more impact than Radiohead's. I sure there is some dope shit in China that would blow Radiohead out the water. You have some serious tunnel vision.

codytwo
02-22-2007, 01:12 PM

Except Led Zeppelin is responsible for Led Zeppelins I, II, III and IV, Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti, whereas Oasis has Definitely Maybe and Whats the Story Morning Glory and Be Here Now. And those albums are not even half as good as ANY Zeppelin album.

amyzzz
02-22-2007, 01:14 PM
There are more than English speaking people in the world. A.R. Rahman's music has had more impact than Radiohead's. I sure there is some dope shit in China that would blow Radiohead out the water. You have some serious tunnel vision.
Nah, just a bit ethnocentric.

Kampy
02-22-2007, 01:15 PM
cuz all of the stars
theyre fading away
just try not to worry
you'll see them some day...

(ouch)

THOM of course

codytwo
02-22-2007, 01:16 PM

Okay, then limit my statements to the extremely narrow world of the multi-billion dollar entertainment industries of the western world.

kimery08
02-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Okay, then limit my statements to the extremely narrow world of the multi-billion dollar entertainment industries of the western world.

done.

codytwo
02-22-2007, 01:21 PM
The main thing that makes Radiohead and Thom Yorke more important than Oasis and Noel Gallagher is that they took things that were happening under the radar in the music world and made them accessible without compromising quality or integrity.

Benis23
02-22-2007, 04:11 PM

benedict arnold

thinnerair
02-22-2007, 05:22 PM
You dicks are all wasting your time. This is a dumb argument.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE!!!!!

summerkid
02-22-2007, 05:25 PM
You dicks are all wasting your time. This is a dumb argument.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE!!!!!

are you joking? I hope you are.

hitthenorth
02-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Did I just sit and read through this lot? What are you banging on about? Surely when the thread it titled Noel v Thom we're talking about a bar brawl? I think I know who would win?

Did anyone see pictures of Noel at the Brit Awards drawing all the bald head over some paparazzi scumbag with a black marker pen. No I don't really see the relevance of Oasis any more, but that was a 'rock n roll' moment of the highest order and far funnier than anything he's ever done.

Benis23
02-22-2007, 09:41 PM
OK, this is the final answer and it is clear and obvious:

in a physical fight: noel kicks thom's ass.
in a battle of musical talent: thom destroys noel.