PDA

View Full Version : arcade fire...

Kiefer
01-22-2007, 03:54 AM
so, maybe i just 'dont get it' but what is the big deal with arcade fire? from the bits ive heard, they sound decent, but people are praising them like they are a buddha descended from above handing out the finest chocolate bars. what gives? help me out on this.

jenga66
01-22-2007, 03:57 AM
I agree. Another one of SPIN's whacked out bands. They appear to me as the indie version of Slipknot.

mountmccabe
01-22-2007, 03:59 AM
I had to give the album a full listen before I "got" it. They have a granduer to them. Their songs are wild and full and they go somewhere. That's what I like about them, anyway.

They're not the greatest band ever and they're not for everbody, though.

pewter14
01-22-2007, 04:10 AM
I had to give the album a full listen before I "got" it. They have a granduer to them. Their songs are wild and full and they go somewhere. That's what I like about them, anyway.

They're not the greatest band ever and they're not for everbody, though.

Pretty well put ... I agree that upon first listen, I was not blown away ... then again, I tried listening to the 30 second clips on allmusic.com, and that does this band no justice at all ... you have to take in the whole album (if we're talking about 'Funeral' here)

Their live performances are pretty spectacular ... they blew up the polo grounds in 2005 with an amazing set.

I'm sure when morning comes, many of their fans will rip all over this thread with "How can you not like the Arcade Fire????" posts.

staggerlee
01-22-2007, 04:10 AM
I think that you have to see them live to really know what the buzz is about.

I was lucky enough to see the whole of their last Coachella set and they blew me away, certainly the best live performance I saw that year and up there with my all time favourite festival performances and I've been going to festvals for longer than I care to remember.

Kiefer
01-22-2007, 04:13 AM
and... did you see daft punk last year? cause i think you may need to reneg your statement.

Alchemy
01-22-2007, 04:31 AM
Arcade Fire are pretty good. Yeah, I agree their 2005 performances was amazing. Definatly not up there as one of my top, but still one to remember. I don't mind seeing them again... Unless they go against someone really good.

staggerlee
01-22-2007, 04:52 AM
Kiefer no didn't see Daft Punk last year as wan't there. I did Sziget in Hungary last year, 8 day fest . I was at Coachella in 04 and 05 and have already booked my flights from UK for this year, can't wait.

jasonkadams
01-22-2007, 04:58 AM
Check out neonbible.com

You can atleast respect them for their wackiness. Cool website. Anyone wacky enough to have a website like that, would put on an awesome show.

TwilightSociety
01-22-2007, 04:59 AM
I also was not a huge fan of the Arcade Fire (although I had the album) until seeing them at Coachella. Unfortunately, I only caught the first half of the set, as I then had to run over to the tents for the Dresden Dolls. No regrets there.

miseducation
01-22-2007, 06:08 AM
Damn guys, lots of misdirected hatred. I guess I understand why the potential to hate the old AF is there, given the massive, omnipresent hyping.

But having seen the old Daft Punk live twice (Coachella '06 and Bang!), I still think that the Arcade Fire's live show more than holds up a candle to it.

Daft Punk's amazing performance works on just way too many levels to compare too. It is literally the greatest thing I've ever seen. But on a purely musical and not stage or legend-related playing field - the Arcade Fire are number two.

The power of yelling the "Wake Up" chant along with 20,000 other people outside of the Outdoor stage is just ridiculous. And the band just belts out this awesome power and tension that makes things you may not like about them (like Win's puberty-powered voice) seem perfect. Not to mention the rest of the members of the band are quarreling dramatically in character the whole way through.

And... one of them even climbed the rafter and used it as a percussion tool - to further bug out the crowd.

So - plainly put: Watch them live, you'll get it then. They really are one of the most exciting bands in the world, not overrated at all.

microcuts
01-22-2007, 07:18 AM
Arcade Fire - good musically. A little absurd that they need that many people in the band, but whatever... Singing's pretty eh though. Win's voice makes me want to scream sometimes, but it's not nearly as bad as that Crap Your Pants Say Duhhhh guy.

AEversW
01-22-2007, 07:21 AM
some people here should go work for pitchfork

All That I Am
01-22-2007, 07:30 AM
Ok The Arcade Fire live is something you just have to see, they are first and foremost awsome musicians, they are always trading off instruments between song. The girl on the violin will got sit behind the drums while the guy on drums will go over and play keyboard and the guy who was playing keyboard will pick up an accordian. They whole time they are playing they keep the theatrics up the whole show, which makes them even more entertaining. And they get the crowd whipped up into a frenzy, I had heard their music before I saw them and I liked it somewhat, but their live performance made me a hardcore fan.

FakePlasticMe
01-22-2007, 08:38 AM
Um. Arcade Fire are the second coming....their performance in 2005 was "ok, not your top"???? That performance changed my life. They are absolutely, hands down, fantastic.

bartelby
01-22-2007, 10:35 AM
i saw them in '05 and was blown away but the best EVER was at a little fest in guelph ontario later that summer...there was probably only about 5-8000 people there but the energy they whipped up in the crown made it feel like there was 30000+

the best part of the night was at the end of the set... they were out of time so they just formed a line, jumped into the crowd and weaved around it while playing "wake up" - simply amazing...

Boourns
01-22-2007, 11:00 AM
I also was not a huge fan of the Arcade Fire (although I had the album) until seeing them at Coachella. Unfortunately, I only caught the first half of the set, as I then had to run over to the tents for the Dresden Dolls. No regrets there.

Oh, I know. 2005 was the worst scheduling ever. I had to leave during "Power Out" to make it inside the tent for the Dresden Dolls, meaning I missed "Rebellion" :( But I had already seen the Arcade Fire twice and never the Dresden Dolls, so it was no contest. Of course, I still haven't seen New Order. Damn, why didn't they do a proper tour like everyone else?

Rezzo
01-22-2007, 11:04 AM
they should headline the second day

Lt. Dangel
01-22-2007, 12:07 PM
IMHO The Arcade Fire is a better band than any of the headliners. If you dont get em you havent listened to the album all the way through.

sighlent
01-22-2007, 12:15 PM
I've never seen band put so much energy into a performance before, I saw them in January of 2005 and they were completely stellar. They were obviously completely physically and emotionally involved with their performance. For the encore they passed out a few hundred flash lights into the crowd and turned off the venue lights, it was absolutely magical.

As far as not needing so many band members, each one is integral to create the sound they have... not all bands like muse can have sequenced and triggered shit to make it seem as if they are playing more than they are... takes away from whats it called, oh yeah musicianship... (though i do like muse and matt fucking rocks balls in concert).

sapako
01-22-2007, 12:44 PM
so, maybe i just 'dont get it' but what is the big deal with arcade fire? from the bits ive heard, they sound decent, but people are praising them like they are a buddha descended from above handing out the finest chocolate bars. what gives? help me out on this.

see them live. then we'll talk. :)

bmack86
01-22-2007, 12:47 PM
They'll be so amazing. Their live show is a spectacle that can't be described. It's like an event.

KRAMDAR
01-22-2007, 12:52 PM
I saw them at Emo's in Austin, and then at Coachella. The Napoleon Dynamite looking guy was beating the rafters so hard pieces of wood were flying dangerously close to the danger-oblivious crowd, who was having way too good of a time to worry about losing an eye. They switch instruments between every song, play them as though they were born with fucking accordians and violins attached to their fingers, and they are like omg so totally unconventional. Crazy concept these days, enjoying something that sounds different... heaven forbid. Sarcasm aside, it isn't for everybody, but it's sort of... ign'ant... to say they're a shitty band.

ArcadeParade
01-22-2007, 01:31 PM
hahaha, you all need to wait. for those who havent seen the coachella dvd check it out for a bite size sample of what arcade will bring to the weekend!

the goat
01-22-2007, 01:41 PM
They will own the entire weekend. When they play My Body is a Cage various people in the crowd will spontaneously combust.

TheInfiniteSadness
01-22-2007, 03:59 PM
you have absolutely no place insulting arcade fire until you see them live. trust the force.

piperatthegates
01-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Bought Funeral, loved it. Saw them at the Electric Picnic in Ireland and was completely blown away. Tickets for the two nights here in Dublin sold in just under 3 minutes.
Enough said

ArcadeParade
01-22-2007, 04:12 PM
travlin to montreal to see them close out their 5 night residence..us kids know!

ghettojournalist
01-22-2007, 04:18 PM
i too missed the arcade fire set for the dresden dolls.
glad i get another chance at seeing them, but i think it'll be a different beast.

Kiefer
01-23-2007, 07:34 AM
to be clear, i never said they sucked, i just dont get it. how many concerts has everyone here seen? ive seen a lot of bands that 'put themselves sooo into it.' i will say, they are not better than rage or bjork though (for the person who said they are better than the headliners).

Lt. Dangel
01-23-2007, 02:26 PM
IMHO ...ya ...they are.

ILikeCheese
01-23-2007, 02:55 PM
I had never heard of Arcade Fire before the '05 show... They were one of the bands I shorta just decided to watch to fill in space between other sets, but they blew me out of the water. They were great live, and I am expecting more greatness to come this year.

Their sound is a little different, and they might not be for everyone, but they do have some great songs.

Also, in response to an eariler post about Daft Punk set... NOTHING can compare to Daft Punk's set last year, NOTHING!

Arcade Fire will not steal the show, but I'm planning on them putting together one hell of a live show...

Wendy
01-23-2007, 10:39 PM
YES!!!

sacleonard
01-23-2007, 10:54 PM
Missed their previous performance, so I am really looking forward to this year's show.

xxxxxxxxxx
01-23-2007, 11:01 PM
i spaced out at coachella 05 and missed them. i dont even remember what i was doing during their set.

ILikeCheese
01-24-2007, 09:26 AM
i spaced out at coachella 05 and missed them. i dont even remember what i was doing during their set.

Its almost like it was 2 years ago or soemthing... =D

FakePlasticMe
01-24-2007, 09:36 AM
travlin to montreal to see them close out their 5 night residence..us kids know!

YOU BASTARD! I tried so, so, so hard to get any tickets on this impossible-to-get-tickets-to tour but alas, I'm ticketless. I've seen them at Coachella, Lollapalooza, Chicago and Electric Picnic in Ireland and there are no words for this band....

Can't wait to see them again, especially Black Wave/Bad Vibrations, which I will cry during.

Are you an uskidsknower? Are you joining our group camp?

sighlent
01-24-2007, 09:40 AM
I saw them at the Great American Music Hall in SF in January 05... they were breathtakingly amazing. I don't think I've been so moved by a show before.

FakePlasticMe
01-24-2007, 09:42 AM
As for those that think Arcade Fire will not steal the show: think again.

ghettojournalist
01-24-2007, 09:43 AM
didn't arcade fire steal the show in 05?
lightning can't strike twice.

Zoro+
01-24-2007, 09:46 AM
Arcade Fire are almost gauranteed to put on the best show this year. Less you're in to the lectronic myusic, then I don't know what to say for you.

ghettojournalist
01-24-2007, 09:56 AM
there are too many really good artists to say that the arcade fire will put on THE best show of the fest.

Zoro+
01-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Just my opinion, that's all. I think Arcade Fire will confirm their reputation as being one of the best live bands around and will be the biggest surprise for those who have either never heard them or weren't expecting anything special. Who knows though. We'll just have to wait and see.

KRINGER
01-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Saw them at a fest in Vegas acouple years ago, AF has the most energy of any live band i've seen in a looong time.. not too mention they're amazing tunes :2c

AEversW
01-24-2007, 10:34 AM
feel bad for the chilli peppers...they have to go on after Arcade Fire. Arcade Fire is going to blow everybody away. I love how the "smaller" bands take the weekend. Mogwai did it last year(atleast for me) and Arcade Fire did it in '05. This year i predict Explosions in the Sky will atleast take part of the weekend. The other part belonging to the Fire of the Arcade.

KenMixtape
01-24-2007, 10:37 AM
I've got nothing against Arcade Fire, but we chose Gang of Four instead of them at Coachella 2005 and I'll never regret that.
I'll see them this time around.

Are there youtubes anyone can post here from their new album ?

Mabdul Doobakus
01-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Their '05 performance was euphoric. Everyone around me was going absolutely crazy. Just more energy between band and audience than I had ever experienced. And as for the intensity, one of the guys up there was bleeding by the third song.

Daft Punk was a different kind of spectacle altogher. They're tough to compare. No question that AF '05 and DP '06 are the best shows I've ever seen anywhere, though.

Of course, I also love most of the Arcade Fire songs...so, there's that too. If you don't like their songs, I don't think there's anything anyone's going to say to help you change your mind. But you probably still want to check them out, if you can.

bartelby
01-24-2007, 11:00 AM
1-wEBmLht5g

bartelby
01-24-2007, 11:01 AM
mnLQh-SXbL4

intervention

AEversW
01-24-2007, 11:18 AM
1-wEBmLht5g

wouldn't it be amazing if Bowie joined them on stage at coachella this year?!?!?! i don't think thats too far-fetched.

bartelby
01-24-2007, 11:20 AM
kinda weak sound but still good...

"black mirror"
CTaGjrLEowE

sighlent
01-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Sarah's hotness blows my mind.

kleokatra
01-24-2007, 01:55 PM
I think it speaks volumes that not one person who has replied that they have seen them live has had anything but glowing reviews of their live shows. I'm also in that camp. I've seen them live four times -- twice in smaller venues, once at Coachella and once at Lollapalooza. Each time their energy, their musicianship, and the fact that they are obviously having a blast themselves has made me realize without a doubt that they are the VERY BEST live band I have ever seen. And I've seen a LOT of live music in my time.

You cannot make statements like "I KNOW ________ is going to be better than ____________" if you haven't seen one of them live before.

Just wait. You'll see.

bartelby
01-24-2007, 06:54 PM
kleokatra's got it 100% right...

Arcade Fire never disappoint....

lowfront
01-25-2007, 12:20 PM

I'm going saturday night

us kids know

I just spent 300 bucks for 2 tickets to see arcade fire so to say the least I'm excited they are going to be there along with rage.

FakePlasticMe
01-25-2007, 12:27 PM
You should camp and be in our us kids know camp!

bartelby
01-25-2007, 05:40 PM
camping is fun

when you're NOT in the desert

FakePlasticMe
01-25-2007, 07:34 PM
camping is fun

when you're NOT in the desert

Would you prefer mosquitos, rain and mud?

I prefer soft green grass, no bugs, and a beautiful cool breeze at night with a backdrop of mountains and palm trees. The desert works just fine for me.

bartelby
01-25-2007, 07:38 PM
i don't totally disagree but those 100degree farenheit mornings have to be rough...

doesn't really matter when you get to hang out in paradise all day though, does it?

Boourns
01-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Nobody is going to compare to the Arcade Fire this year. They are going to blow everyone away again, the headliners, and especially the horrible dance tent headliners, included. Well, nobody except perhaps Jarvis.

far gone and out
01-25-2007, 07:46 PM
they are wicked live.

ArcadeParade
01-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Nobody is going to compare to the Arcade Fire this year. They are going to blow everyone away again, the headliners, and especially the horrible dance tent headliners, included. Well, nobody except perhaps Jarvis.

yea, its gonna be nuts...its gonna be awfully tight around that stage

bartelby
01-26-2007, 08:12 AM
unfortunately, they'll probably be on the main stage this year....

it was so much more fun/cosy at the 2nd stage in '05