PDA

View Full Version : Mau5 Surprise

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

buymarshon
01-19-2010, 08:27 AM
i remember hearing mau5 tell pete tong he was planning this huuuge led thing that he was sinking tons of his own money into and it be equivelent to the daft punk pyramid but itd be him playing inside a huge led mouse house.. maybe for coachella?

Cuddlesthesheep
01-19-2010, 08:28 AM
i sure fucking hope so he can melt my face off even more.

Astrid
01-19-2010, 08:30 AM
im stoked on this. admittedly hes pretty fucking easy to see these days. but im just happy for him coming up so fast. i remember him saying he couldnt come back to coach until he could play in the nighttime because it was too hot in his mouse head. good for him.

KickO
01-19-2010, 09:11 AM
i remember hearing mau5 tell pete tong he was planning this huuuge led thing that he was sinking tons of his own money into and it be equivelent to the daft punk pyramid but itd be him playing inside a huge led mouse house.. maybe for coachella?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/edxyqWdEpk8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/edxyqWdEpk8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

he could be doing the same set up like he did at HARD

mozfan27
01-19-2010, 09:14 AM
This was really nice little surprise. I did not expect him at all

MantisMel
01-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Every time he comes around I never get to see him. I always have work or I Im out of town. Im gunna get you little Mau5!!! Oh and I will!

didyouseethe
01-19-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm sure it'll be the same set up he's been using on his most recent tour....

I would love an update though!

buymarshon
01-19-2010, 09:25 AM
i think if he headlines we'll see a daft punk like l.e.d. made huuuuge mouse head that he will be playing in.. and i dont mean a mouse head mask, i mean an actual daft punk sized' pyramid with mau5 in the head of in the mouth

weezy f baby
01-19-2010, 09:28 AM
DeadmauFive is gonna fuckin kill it.

Pandroid
01-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Huge surprise, just saw him a couple months ago actually in a smaller setting gonna be much better at Coachella!

TallGuyCM
01-19-2010, 09:38 AM
He gets hated on, but I really don't mind deadmau5. I'm no electro snob either though.

seandigi
01-19-2010, 09:40 AM
He was really good when I saw him in PHX last November.

ficklecycle
01-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Not crazy about Mau5, but he might win a conflict. Id love to dance to his stuff at night on the Fields...

steve7268
01-19-2010, 09:45 AM
I'll be honest, NOT stoked for him. Maybe that's because i've seen him 8 or so times..

that's your own fault. if you eat your favorite food 7 days a week it's going to get old. try not to rain on our parade, it's going to be great.

i wouldn't expect something as epic as a huge LED mau5 head, but the guy "flew" in from the ceiling on NYE with a cape on, so you KNOW that if he is the closer he is going to do something to get people going.

Pllleeeease let him play a long long set.

steve7268
01-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Not crazy about Mau5, but he might win a conflict. Id love to dance to his stuff at night on the Fields...

How does that make sense?

You are not crazy about his music, yet you'd love to dance to it?
How does that work?

steve7268
01-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Maybe you should have just seen him in 2008 when his ego wasn't so big..

Flying in from the fucking ceiling? Give me a fucking break, who does he think he is?

Good lord, get over it. It's about the music and the experience. If you dont' like what you see and hear then move on to something else. You obviously liked him at one point enough to see him 8 friggin times.

He is Deadmau5, and he is coming to complete our Friday night.

ficklecycle
01-19-2010, 09:50 AM
How does that make sense?

You are not crazy about his music, yet you'd love to dance to it?
How does that work?

It means I don't think hes the "greatest DJ in the world" or of 2009 for that matter, but his music is still good.

It means I don't talk about him like hes some fucking god of electronic music, but he still has good tracks.

Pandroid
01-19-2010, 09:54 AM

Flying in from the fucking ceiling? Give me a fucking break, who does he think he is?

I saw him two months ago, after his show he came down to where all the fans where and took pictures with everybody, chilled and chatted about anything and everything..seemed like a real cool guy actually.

Sexecutioner
01-19-2010, 09:54 AM
I'd love to see him this year, but I have a feeling he is going to conflict with somebody else I want to see that night and lose.

steve7268
01-19-2010, 09:57 AM
he could be doing the same set up like he did at HARD

Nope, he has updated since then. This is what he is running with now, plus I think NYE in London he added an even bigger screen that went behind him.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oAGLrefGrII&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oAGLrefGrII&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

lowfront
01-19-2010, 09:57 AM
i saw deadau5 month or 2 ago...

and he's gonna bring it

set was ridiculous

steve7268
01-19-2010, 10:00 AM
The one thing I can say is that he may very well be peaking right now. I'm glad Coachella brought him in, it's a rite of passage for many electronic acts and it's as good of a time for him to be at Coachella as any.

Jremy
01-19-2010, 10:08 AM
I've seen him 7 times, and i guess i just dont get it.
Someone please post a live video of something thats actually impressive.
His CD is sub par at best, I give him the benefit of the doubt every time, but he always comes up short.
Depending on the conflict, I'll probobly be there though.

chairmenmeow47
01-19-2010, 10:09 AM
i always miss this guy so i hope he doesn't conflict with anything else i want to see :)

ELECtROjan
01-19-2010, 10:25 AM
His CD is sub par at best, I give him the benefit of the doubt every time, but he always comes up short.

his set peaked at HARD 08 . When he did this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y7tI1E6kp0o&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y7tI1E6kp0o&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

that was by far the best set he's done. It was fun, packed with energy, and was mixed well. Since then his set at HARD Palladium was eh, and both his sets at HARD HM 09 blew. And the LED thing he had at HARD was weak shit. It took 30min to setup and adding nothing to the show. And if u bring a mau5 head to the Sahara and are blocking my view, i will crush it

steve7268
01-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks for putting this into much nicer words than I could have

Deadmau5 is great if you have no idea about EDM

It's undeniable that the kid is naturally good at producing, but let's not suck on his balls please. He used to be a kandy kid for fuck sake, his roots are all about light shows, vicks vapor rub, and pikachu backpacks (http://board.pottymouthmusic.com/lofiversion/index.php/t1581.html)

Please elaborate? To you, what is EDM about that Joel Zimmerman is lacking?

Trillis
01-19-2010, 12:55 PM
New stage show is called mau5 trap. Same people who built D. Punk's stage show.

Wonderbot
01-19-2010, 01:58 PM
You guys are INSANE if you think it'll be anywhere near as cool as Daft Punk. Nothing on earth can touch Daft Punk's show except for a close second by Nine Inch nails "Lights in the Sky" setup which was pretty goddamn amazing. Followed by Radioheads In Rainbows tour setup.

The only thing better than Daft Punk is a full-on Pink Floyd show, the kind that none of us will ever see outside of DVD's and Youtube videos.

ELECtROjan
01-19-2010, 02:03 PM
New stage show is called mau5 trap. Same people who built D. Punk's stage show.

- its called the "mau5ehead"

- Neither Barco, Elements Lab, XL Video UK, or Daft Art had anything to do with the "mau5ehead" making it impossible them them to be built by the same people

kuuguy
01-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Seen Deadmau5 4 times now, including his hometown show (Toronto) over Christmas and this guys keeps getting better and better in my opinion. He is a touring whore (respectfully) AND cranks out new tracks and remixes constantly AND connects with his fans, on and off the dancefloor more than any other electronic artist, and I would even dare to say artist period that I am aware of. On top of this, unlike 95% of DJ's at the moment, Deadmau5' sets are 95% - 100% his productions/remixes, which works well considering how gifted a producer he is. I have more respect for Deadmau5 than most electronic artists on the lineup and outside of it for these reasons and I pray that GV has the foresight and courtesy to have him close down the Sahara on Friday AFTER Jay-Z finishes up, a la Roger Waters/Justice in 08 if I remember correctly. My wish is for as many as ppl as possible to experience his epic live show that is inevitable! To top if off, expect him to be debuting his true artist album, due for Spring release :) EFF YES! I cannot stress it enough GV, PLEASE do not have Deadmau5 go up against Jay-Z!

Wonderbot
01-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Seen Deadmau5 4 times now, including his hometown show (Toronto) over Christmas and this guys keeps getting better and better in my opinion. He is a touring whore (respectfully) AND cranks out new tracks and remixes constantly AND connects with his fans, on and off the dancefloor more than any other electronic artist, and I would even dare to say artist period that I am aware of. On top of this, unlike 95% of DJ's at the moment, Deadmau5' sets are 95% - 100% his productions/remixes, which works well considering how gifted a producer he is. I have more respect for Deadmau5 than most electronic artists on the lineup and outside of it for these reasons and I pray that GV has the foresight and courtesy to have him close down the Sahara on Friday AFTER Jay-Z finishes up, a la Roger Waters/Justice in 08 if I remember correctly. My wish is for as many as ppl as possible to experience his epic live show that is inevitable! To top if off, expect him to be debuting his true artist album, due for Spring release :) EFF YES! I cannot stress it enough GV, PLEASE do not have Deadmau5 go up against Jay-Z!

Playing all his own music makes him boring after you've seen him once.

But yeah, have Deadmau5 same time as Jay Z so I don't miss him, cuz fuck Jay Z

ELECtROjan
01-19-2010, 02:36 PM
whats colors your head?

guedita
01-19-2010, 02:39 PM
speaking of the mau5head phenomenon, I would like to thank GV for having him Friday night so that all heads will have disappeared (many destroyed by ELECTrO's fist) by Saturday morning.

nothernexposure
01-19-2010, 02:45 PM

QFT
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs180.snc3/20762_1280648023611_1452364331_752871_3815488_n.jp g

Lemonpie
01-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Does anyone think there is a chance that Deadmau5 will conflict with LCD? Because that will most likely make things very difficult for me.

jackstraw94086
01-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks for putting this into much nicer words than I could have

Deadmau5 is great if you have no idea about EDM

It's undeniable that the kid is naturally good at producing, but let's not suck on his balls please. He used to be a kandy kid for fuck sake, his roots are all about light shows, vicks vapor rub, and pikachu backpacks (http://board.pottymouthmusic.com/lofiversion/index.php/t1581.html)

Even I wouldn't say crap like this.
I'm not sure how a history of raving somehow invalidates all work done since. The guy has 2 distinct and identifiable styles and his success is not exactly a fluke. What does the raver comment even supposed to suggest? That his music sounds just like what he used to rave to? If that's what you mean then you're just flat out wrong.

jackstraw94086
01-19-2010, 10:58 PM

Now this I would sort of agree with. I remember him coming to SF for the first time and he blew the club away with nothing more than the mask.

But then again, he's pretty much the biggest name in EDM today and as such you have to do stupid shit like that to justify charging that much money for huge shows. It's not necessarily that he has a massive ego. (or at least that doens't have to be all of it)

NoGwenPlease
01-19-2010, 11:08 PM
QFT
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs180.snc3/20762_1280648023611_1452364331_752871_3815488_n.jp g
Every single person on earth has embarassing photos, this doesn't take anything away from their talent.

moomoo
01-19-2010, 11:17 PM
requesting video of him floating down from the heavens.

nothernexposure
01-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Every single person on earth has embarassing photos, this doesn't take anything away from their talent.
no, just some food for thought when most of his fans are more concerned with what color mouse head he's going to be wearing than his actual music. he's a talented producer, but his live shows suck and are little more than a gimmick.

hangthedj112
01-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Hopefully there's a cool lighting set-up or something, because it seems his sets waver between popping off and snooze-fest progressive house.

ELECtROjan
01-20-2010, 12:43 AM
Does anyone think there is a chance that Deadmau5 will conflict with LCD? Because that will most likely make things very difficult for me.

more likely with JayZ

ELECtROjan
01-20-2010, 12:45 AM
Hopefully there's a cool lighting set-up or something, because it seems his sets waver between popping off and snooze-fest progressive house.

his photographer (Rukes) just told me he's doing something incredibly big for Coachella. Should be interesting to see if they can pull it off

biscodiscos
01-20-2010, 01:21 AM

You probably don't get it because you're listening to his CDs. Deadmau5 is my favorite producer currently making music and I think his CDs are pretty bad with maybe a couple memorable tracks on each at most. He is ridiculously talented, original, and smart, and is releasing amazing tracks left and right. His albums are not where to find his best material. He's created multiple entirely new sounds in EDM and has mastered nearly every sub-genre of house music. Being a producer myself, I know what I'm talking about. The man is a genius. I've only seen him once, but he absolutely tore it up with an entire 2 hour set of his own material. I can't wait for this set!

biscodiscos
01-20-2010, 01:30 AM
Also, if he wants to be on par with Daft Punk's pyramid, he'll have to go waaayyy bigger than the HARD set up. How fucking cool is that intro though - "It's over 9,000!!!BOOM!!!" I can't see how anyone can say his sets aren't awesome; they're well thought out, creative, intellectual I'd even say. He weaves together electro, prog, and tech beautifully and makes incredible use of humorous and/or badass vocal samples in every set of his that I've watched videos of/listened to. Get ready for this one, it's gonna RAGE!

biscodiscos
01-20-2010, 01:43 AM
There are no other producer's on these boards

Did you get the sarcasm?

I never said there wasn't, I only said it to establish credibility for my opinion.

Monklish
01-20-2010, 02:34 AM
We can safely know and say that Zimmerman isn't a House Deity, he's a raver at heart with no true roots to back him up, that's all I'm saying

I don't get this at all. So your contention is that good house producers were never ravers? What exactly are "true roots?" I didn't realize that making fucking disco music is something you have to be grandfathered into like the goddamn masons.

Jremy
01-20-2010, 02:38 AM
Deadmau5 is my favorite producer currently making music and I think his CDs are pretty bad with maybe a couple memorable tracks on each at most.

So you're saying he's your favorite producer, however the things he produces are pretty bad... I see what you're saying, but i'd give his cd's a 5/10, and his live set a 7/10.

He's created multiple entirely new sounds in EDM and has mastered nearly every sub-genre of house music.

I wouldn't have made that statement about any DJ around, much less Deadmau5.

SoulDischarge
01-20-2010, 02:43 AM
Alright. This fucker is everywhere and supposedly the biggest thing in EDM and supposedly his best productions aren't on his albums. Give me five tracks (either link to a YouTube, don't embed that shit because loading it gets annoying, or link to a Mediafire/Megaupload download) to convince me he's worth the hype. Thank you.

tarrivi
01-20-2010, 05:37 AM
This is from his photographer, Rukes, facebook:

" Drew 'Rukes' Ressler: Working out Coachella dates. Of course will be doing Deadmau5 on friday for his Daft Punk-rivaling production ;)"

steve7268
01-20-2010, 05:55 AM
We can safely know and say that Zimmerman isn't a House Deity, he's a raver at heart with no true roots to back him up, that's all I'm saying

The fact that he doesn't have these "roots" is probably why his sound is unique, and thank god for that.

Lemonpie
01-20-2010, 11:26 AM
more likely with JayZ

Ight cool, thanks man.

Brochella
01-20-2010, 11:39 AM
This is from his photographer, Rukes, facebook:

" Drew 'Rukes' Ressler: Working out Coachella dates. Of course will be doing Deadmau5 on friday for his Daft Punk-rivaling production ;)"

that should be interesting. i guess this confirms for sure that he'll be headlining the sahara with lcd on the main/outdoor stage?

ADrunkPoet
01-20-2010, 11:52 AM
The fact that Deadmau5's ego is so big, he actually thinks he can do something to rival Daft Punk's legendary set makes me want to punch him in the throat.

guedita
01-20-2010, 11:56 AM
If it's in the Sahara, which it will be, there's no way it will rival Daft Punk's. I'm sure it will be visually interesting and pretty awesome....

but everyone will forget about it when Daft comes back with TRON.

discobotica
01-20-2010, 12:03 PM
i think if he headlines we'll see a daft punk like l.e.d. made huuuuge mouse head that he will be playing in.. and i dont mean a mouse head mask, i mean an actual daft punk sized' pyramid with mau5 in the head of in the mouth

I read an article in a DJ mag that my friend had saying that he was having a custom mau5 head made with full LED video screen capabilities.....I think he was droppin' somewhere around $40k to have it made......not sure if it'll be ready for Coachella, but I wouldn't be surprised.......I'll do some research and get the link for that article on here, really good one.......

HAMMERHEAD
01-20-2010, 12:04 PM
even if its 10 times the setup he was using this last year there's no fucking way it will compete with the pyramid. seriously his shit at hard was weakkk. if he does some gimmicky mouse set-up i'll be pretty disappointed.

now if there's lasers involved i might warm up to it a little more...

discobotica
01-20-2010, 12:09 PM
even if its 10 times the setup he was using this last year there's no fucking way it will compete with the pyramid. seriously his shit at hard was weakkk. if he does some gimmicky mouse set-up i'll be pretty disappointed.

now if there's lasers involved i might warm up to it a little more...

THE PYRAMID. SHOULD NOT. BE MENTIONED. ON THIS THREAD.

PYRAMID>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>whateverthefuck Deadmau5 could EVER do with his wallet

malcolmjamalawesome
01-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Here you fucks go again jumping to conclusions.

"Fuck him if he thinks he can compete with Daft Punk's pyramid."
"It can't be good because prior stage setups are good."

So, under that theory, if someone aspires to do something well, fuck them. Further, if someone hasn't done something awesome in the past, there is no way the will, in the future, be awesome.

Monklish
01-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Jesus Christ guys, calm the fuck down. Yes, we get it, the pyramid was cooler than anything likely to get unveiled for several years. Nonetheless if you're putting together an expensive and well designed show for an EDM set that involves one large piece of LED screen, the only real thing to compare it to as a means of explaining what you're shooting for is Daft Punk-esque. Shaddup.

Yookeroo
01-20-2010, 12:12 PM
I don't get this at all. So your contention is that good house producers were never ravers? What exactly are "true roots?" I didn't realize that making fucking disco music is something you have to be grandfathered into like the goddamn masons.

I was wondering about the disconnect between true roots and raving myself. Odd statement.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Further, I like that the overall attitude is "Fuck this guy for trying to do something designed to entertain us."

Monklish
01-20-2010, 12:17 PM
"I can't believe this douchebag wants to invest tens of thousands of dollars of his own money into making something that he hopes to rival that thing that we all consider to be the coolest shit ever. What a total dick, I hate him."

shakur
01-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Really excited to see Deadmau5 for the first time ever at Coachella! I'm a big fan of his music but what some other posters are saying is right.. what ever visuals he is trying to do wont even be close to Daft Punk's pyramid of greatness.

malcolmjamalawesome
"Well, you know, fuck him. He wears a big stupid helmet thing. P.S. I love Daft Punk."

HAMMERHEAD
Here you fucks go again jumping to conclusions.

"Fuck him if he thinks he can compete with Daft Punk's pyramid."
"It can't be good because prior stage setups are good."

So, under that theory, if someone aspires to do something well, fuck them. Further, if someone hasn't done something awesome in the past, there is no way the will, in the future, be awesome.

i think you're misinterpreting the logic here... its more that daft punk reached the pinnacle of awesome with their setup, whereas a cocky up and comer with a penchant for proving how awesome he is will likely fall short of DP-caliber epicness because his talent and creativity are miles behind that of the beloved french duo. i enjoy deadmau5 and do think he is pretty good live, but judging how his performances have soured and how much his fame seems to be getting to his head, i simply do not believe he has the capability to rival daft punk's set-up. whereas DP's setup was designed to be a full blown audio-visual odyssey, it appears joel's intention is to erect a self-glorifying stage spectacle (a giant LED mouse head, come on dude) to prove to everyone how he's better. the pyramid was a concept based on the themes that have developed over the course of DP's career (humans/robots)...a giant mouse head lacks that level of thematic substance.

HAMMERHEAD
01-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Further, I like that the overall attitude is "Fuck this guy for trying to do something designed to entertain us."

"I can't believe this douchebag wants to invest tens of thousands of dollars of his own money into making something that he hopes to rival that thing that we all consider to be the coolest shit ever. What a total dick, I hate him."

damn, i cant believe im admitting this but you guys are actually right. i kinda feel douche for that last post...

Monklish
01-20-2010, 12:21 PM
"How do you idiots not fucking see this? You can't have a better shape than a pyramid. I can't fucking believe this guy, thinking he can please us. We'll show him for trying to be entertaining with his stupid fucking mousehead shape."

ADrunkPoet
01-20-2010, 12:23 PM
One cannot deny that who he chose to design his new set up, as well as the location he presumably is unveiling it does feels just a little bit manufactured.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-20-2010, 12:24 PM
i think you're misinterpreting the logic here... its more that daft punk reached the pinnacle of awesome with their setup, whereas a cocky up and comer with a penchant for proving how awesome he is will likely fall short of DP-caliber epicness because his talent and creativity are miles behind that of the beloved french duo. i enjoy deadmau5 and do think he is pretty good live, but judging how his performances have soured and how much his fame seems to be getting to his head, i simply do not believe he has the capability to rival daft punk's set-up. whereas DP's setup was designed to be a full blown audio-visual odyssey, it appears joel's intention is to erect a self-glorifying stage spectacle (a giant LED mouse head, come on dude) to prove to everyone how he's better. the pyramid was a concept based on the themes that have developed over the course of DP's career (humans/robots)...a giant mouse head lacks that level of thematic substance.

1) Where are you getting your facts on what the stage setup is supposed to be?

2) I'm not sure that "A pyramid" sounded that cool without seeing it.

3) Daft Punk hadn't done anything particularly creative or clever with their live show before the pyramid.

4) Read your post back and try to tell me honestly that you aren't a piece of shit.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-20-2010, 12:25 PM
damn, i cant believe im admitting this but you guys are actually right. i kinda feel douche for that last post...

Oh, I guess this covers it.

Though I have a hard time understanding why it would be hard to admit why two people who are right 100% of the time are once again right.

aguila26
The Mau5 will cause a revolution in entertainment business.

Monklish
"Yeah! This shit is manufactured. What kind of asshole would want to hire the people responsible for the best LED screen show ever just because he's putting up tens of thousand of dollars on an LED screen show? Does he really expect us to buy this shit?!"

ADrunkPoet
01-20-2010, 12:26 PM
"Yeah! This shit is manufactured. What kind of asshole would want to hire the people responsible for the best LED screen show ever just because he's putting up tens of thousand of dollars on an LED screen show? Does he really expect us to buy this shit?!"

Yeah, it is a truly novel idea to do exactly what Deadmau5 is attempting to do. Good for him.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Daft Punk put out one of the most boring records of all time prior to their wacky pyramid tour.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah, it is a truly novel idea to do exactly what Deadmau5 is attempting to do. Good for him.

Is "novel" the benchmark for "awesome"? Because, this is EDM we're talking about.

Monklish
01-20-2010, 12:28 PM
"Whatever he's doing can't possibly be any good because the people he's hiring to do it have actually done it before. What derivative bullshit. BE ORIGINAL FOR A CHANGE, DEADMAU5."

malcolmjamalawesome
01-20-2010, 12:29 PM
He should have hired an upstart EDM stage designer who's on the brink of taking the world by storm. Otherwise, teh suck.

Monklish
01-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Why would you want to hire professionals with credits? That's what a fucking sell out punk does. Real innovators hire dockworkers to build their elaborate LED screen arrays.

guedita
01-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Why would you want to hire professionals with credits? That's what a fucking sell out punk does. Real innovators hire dockworkers to build their elaborate LED screen arrays.

I just thought he'd be really innovative, you know? Like teach lab mice how to manufacture his stage for him.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Is this a good time to mention I partied with one of the guys that designed the pyramid at my hotel for Pukkelpop?

Monklish
01-20-2010, 12:32 PM
That's pretty cool. Did he have anything interesting to say about it?

Monklish
Also, that's a totally unoriginal way to party, you goddamn dick. Your head sucks.

HAMMERHEAD
i think there's a valid point being made, and it relates primarily to his intentions. obviously joel is trying to entertain, but is he doing it for the fans or himself?

i definitely agree with the mja/monk rationale that its pretty low to knock a guy for trying to do something rad and i readily accept your rebuttals as long as this visual setup is not being done to create a mythic status for himself. if thats the case the whole set-up will feel terribly contrived, and that is my concern. i would say thats a pretty valid one considering how fast his ego seems to be swelling. being a guy who seems to know his way around the internet, joel has carried into his real life a mighty e-peen.

ADrunkPoet
01-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Regardless, I will most likely be watching Jay-Z or Fever Ray, so it really has no effect on me.

Monklish
01-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Yeah, cause when Daft Punk decided to build a massive lightshow that they would command from inside robot suits at the top of a big pyramid they were doing it strictly for the fans, not at all because it would make them feel like cool motherfuckers. I can't stand musicians who actually have egos.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-20-2010, 12:35 PM
He was a cool guy. We partied with their whole road crew. This was 4 months after Coachella 06. We played them our 320 kbps bootleg of their Coachella set. They were pissed. I was on the verge of losing consciousness the entire time.

Monklish
01-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Regardless, I will most likely be watching Jay-Z or Fever Ray, so it really has no effect on me.

That's fine then. In that case, just say that you don't like him instead of making up ridiculous and contrived reasonings to try to validate your dislike in ways that have no basis in reality.

Monklish
01-20-2010, 12:36 PM
He was a cool guy. We partied with their whole road crew. This was 4 months after Coachella 06. We played them our 320 kbps bootleg of their Coachella set. They were pissed. I was on the verge of losing consciousness the entire time.

Haha, why were they pissed?

ADrunkPoet
01-20-2010, 12:38 PM
That's fine then. In that case, just say that you don't like him instead of making up ridiculous and contrived reasonings to try to validate your dislike in ways that have no basis in reality.

No, I actually do like Deadmau5. Questioning why someone would attempt to rival Daft Punk by essentially duplicating their blueprint came off as slightly distasteful to me.

Outside of conflicts, I would actually have no problem seeing him. Mau5heads in the crowd or not.

Monklish
01-20-2010, 12:41 PM
See, there you go again being just preposterous.

You acknowledge that Daft had probably the best lighting display of any show ever, but particularly for EDM, right? Why in the world would you not hire the people responsible for that if you wanted to get something really amazing?

HAMMERHEAD
01-20-2010, 12:42 PM
what this discussion should really be about is this.

http://www.styletraxx.com/Deadmau5.jpg

oversized ball chain necklaces: cool in the 90s or just fucking retarded?

if joel doesn't update his look then what chance does he have of one-upping DP?

malcolmjamalawesome
They were pissed because they thought somebody must have leaked the bootleg from the soundboard.

jackstraw94086
The fact that Deadmau5's ego is so big, he actually thinks he can do something to rival Daft Punk's legendary set makes me want to punch him in the throat.

At least deadmau5 actually composes music instead of just threading together old samples.

I don't see why worship of a half-assed overblown cut&paste act should make you hate someone enough to throw punches. You should get a lid on that anger issue

malcolmjamalawesome
01-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Do you guys have any idea what nerdy ugly fucks Daft Punk are under those helmets? This poor kid wears a guido necklace and everything goes to hell.

Monklish
01-20-2010, 12:47 PM
I like that anyone is expecting people who make house music to look fashionable.

jackstraw94086
01-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Daft Punk put out one of the most boring records of all time prior to their wacky pyramid tour.

That's because it was the most original work they've done. And it sucked.
Every time people talk about daft punk they mention the fucking light show. The only tracks they'll ever be remembered for are the disco sample shit.

Monklish
01-20-2010, 12:48 PM
In defense of Human After All, I think that Robot Rock is actually their best beat. Of course it's also arguably one of their most overt rip offs.

jackstraw94086
01-20-2010, 12:49 PM
I like that anyone is expecting people who make house music to look fashionable.

House music is bigger than fashion.
House music is life.
House music is the answer
House music will save the world.

Every House track says so.

BrettShipes
01-20-2010, 12:50 PM
At least deadmau5 actually composes music instead of just threading together old samples.

I don't see why worship of a half-assed overblown cut&paste act should make you hate someone enough to throw punches. You should get a lid on that anger issue

Daft Punk does what they do extremely well. They take what they do seriously and have a good time doing it. They put on an awesome show with an awesome array of fantastic lights and it was a spectacle to behold in all its glory.

deadmau5 is someone else that does other stuff but also takes it seriously and has a good time doing it. Whatever show he ends up doing will be his own style and not trying to arbitrarily rip off anybody.

Comparing the two styles would be like comparing Monklish to MJA.

I <3 Music

Monklish
01-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Yeah, comparing two house artists would just be ridiculous. What a stupid fucking notion, Jack.

Monklish
01-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Incidentally, if we're comparing me to MJA I'm the Daft Punk and he's the deadmau5.

DFrank
01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
have you ever heard of separating the artist from the music?
Deadmau5 blew up and came out of nowhere, i would be surprised if Joel didnt have any ego.

jackstraw94086
01-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Daft Punk does what they do extremely well. They take what they do seriously and have a good time doing it. They put on an awesome show with an awesome array of fantastic lights and it was a spectacle to behold in all its glory.

deadmau5 is someone else that does other stuff but also takes it seriously and has a good time doing it. Whatever show he ends up doing will be his own style and not trying to arbitrarily rip off anybody.

I <3 Music

come off it.
daft punk does what they do extremely well? As far as music goes they don't do much of anything at all. And there you go defending daft punk by mentioning the light show. All people can say about them is their fucking light show. I wish these people would just admit they couldn't care less about the music.

I agree that comparing the two styles would be ridiculous. I wasn't doing that. I would simply stating deadmau5 makes music, while daft punk just steals it. daft punk hardly has a style that could be fit into a comparison.

BrettShipes
01-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Daft Monk?

HAMMERHEAD
01-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Yeah, comparing two house artists would just be ridiculous. What a stupid fucking notion, Jack.

i kinda thought comparing (musically) a pure house act ala daft punk to a progressive house/minimal/trance/electroish/whatever the fuck else act like deadmau5 is just plain silly.

guedita
01-20-2010, 12:58 PM
God, none of us should care what Joel looks like or whether or not he's donning a pikachu backpack or an oversized beaded necklace. It has no bearing on the fact that he has actually created good music. He has also over-toured and been over-hyped. I merely hope he does bring something new to Coachella...and I think he will. I just don't think I'll see his set....fog in my face at Fever Ray.

DFrank
01-20-2010, 12:59 PM

I <3 Music

that sounds kinda gay.

Monklish
01-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Yeah, it's fucking ridiculous to compare different sub-genres of house. They're entirely different worlds. It's not like they're both just the same 4/4 shit at the same bpm with some electro shit thrown on top. Not at all.

BrettShipes
01-20-2010, 01:02 PM
come off it.
daft punk does what they do extremely well? As far as music goes they don't do much of anything at all. And there you go defending daft punk by mentioning the light show. All people can say about them is their fucking light show. I wish these people would just admit they couldn't care less about the music.

I agree that comparing the two styles would be ridiculous. I wasn't doing that. I would simply stating deadmau5 makes music, while daft punk just steals it. daft punk hardly has a style that could be fit into a comparison.

Alright. Light show aside. Daft Punk does their HOMEWORK and makes many DISCOVERYs along the way, true they take samples, but it takes skill to do what they do with it, but to say that they don't do anything, that's just ignorance.

DFrank
01-20-2010, 01:05 PM
why does any EDM thread always come full circle back to Daft Punk? So sad.

BrettShipes
01-20-2010, 01:06 PM
So anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing deadmau5, I hear the show will be great!

Monklish
01-20-2010, 01:06 PM
It took practically zero skill to do what they did on album. You can make the argument that combining multiple songs together in the way they did for the pyramid displayed a greater deal of skill, but those original tracks involved fuck all in terms of skill.

HAMMERHEAD
01-20-2010, 01:10 PM
I would simply stating deadmau5 makes music, while daft punk just steals it. daft punk hardly has a style that could be fit into a comparison.

they openly admit to all of their samples, which does not constitute stealing. all of the samples have to be cleared by the original artist for the label to have released the album to begin with. once again, not stealing. isn't all this shit in the cd sleeve for discovery? the fact that they can take samples from 20+ year old songs and make them sound ten times as good does a indicate there is some talent there. not to mention the instrumentals they themselves add to the samples, which constitutes making music no?. i find it no coincidence that their best work, homework, was their most original.

*edit* and by most original i'm referring to the least amount of sampling, which in the case of homework if virtually none.

HAMMERHEAD
01-20-2010, 01:11 PM
God, none of us should care what Joel looks like or whether or not he's donning a pikachu backpack or an oversized beaded necklace. It has no bearing on the fact that he has actually created good music. He has also over-toured and been over-hyped. I merely hope he does bring something new to Coachella...and I think he will. I just don't think I'll see his set....fog in my face at Fever Ray.

(the necklace thing was a joke)

Monklish
01-20-2010, 01:11 PM
He doesn't mean stealing in the legal sense, you dizzy bitch. They take the entire melody note for note. Are we seriously claiming that you shouldn't get any asterisks next to your name when the music you make is actually somebody else's music?

BrettShipes
01-20-2010, 01:16 PM
The secret to originality is hiding your sources.

Monklish
01-20-2010, 01:17 PM
No, the secret to originality is stealing in smaller pieces than, say, an entire melody.

HAMMERHEAD
01-20-2010, 01:18 PM
He doesn't mean stealing in the legal sense, you dizzy bitch. They take the entire melody note for note. Are we seriously claiming that you shouldn't get any asterisks next to your name when the music you make is actually somebody else's music?

is this like the time i was an illiterate fuckbag? i mean i guess it is that time of the month...

and once again, homework was their breakout album and is still to this day considered by many to be their best work. how much did they sample on that album? i'd say the album they produced the most original shit on is a good indicator of their musicianship.

HAMMERHEAD
01-20-2010, 01:19 PM
No, the secret to originality is stealing in smaller pieces than, say, an entire melody.

exactly melodies did they steal note-for-note that they didn't openly admit to and give credit to the original artist?

BrettShipes
01-20-2010, 01:21 PM

exactly, everybody that makes music "steals" ideas from someone else. It's just a matter of how much.

Monklish
Whether or not they gave credit to the artists is only relevant to the question of are they guilty of copyright infringement. It in no way impacts the measure of their personal artistic prowess. If they gave credit or didn't give credit they are still equally bullshit, just at varying degrees of transparency.

discobotica

"Well, you know, fuck him. He wears a big stupid helmet thing. P.S. I love Daft Punk."

"How do you idiots not fucking see this? You can't have a better shape than a pyramid. I can't fucking believe this guy, thinking he can please us. We'll show him for trying to be entertaining with his stupid fucking mousehead shape."

"Whatever he's doing can't possibly be any good because the people he's hiring to do it have actually done it before. What derivative bullshit. BE ORIGINAL FOR A CHANGE, DEADMAU5."

ROFL.......love stirring shit up like this for a reaction....I guess I was only half-serious, so thx for putting me in my half-place.....Deadmau5 should shoot for the stars and we should encourage him just as we encourage/appreciate anyone who follows their dreams and their heart.....we would be soooo blessed to have him or anyone else create something Pyramid-esque and facemeltingly electrolicious........also thx for the laughs, u two should have your own radioshow or something..........

http://pakhipakhi.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/ap-apocalypto-51.jpg

http://pakalahau.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/2012chichenitza.jpg

ALL HAIL THE PERFECT SHAPE!!!!!

discobotica
01-20-2010, 01:24 PM
why does any EDM thread always come full circle back to Daft Punk? So sad.

oopsies......

BrettShipes
01-20-2010, 01:25 PM
ALL HAIL THE PERFECT SHAPE!!!!!

I thought the Golden Rectangle was the perfect shape.

http://www.easypedia.gr/el/images/shared/6/67/Golden_Rectangle_Construction2.png

HAMMERHEAD
01-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Whether or not they gave credit to the artists is only relevant to the question of are they guilty of copyright infringement. It in no way impacts the measure of their personal artistic prowess. If they gave credit or didn't give credit they are still equally bullshit, just at varying degrees of transparency.

there is a very distinct difference between taking someones music, uncredited, and passing it off for your own. that is willfully deceitful and intended to take credit for something that you did not create. sampling, which is something that countless acts in electronic music and modern music in general do allll the fucking time, takes a piece of music that has already been created and incorporates it into a new idea while giving credit to the original work, a modern homage to a classic. youre right that its not the most original form of musicianship, but its not intended to be either. that is precisely why credit is given and samples cleared prior to releasing the work. daft punk have given us plenty of excellent tracks that are 100% original productions.

and btw, ill throw you a bone. daft punk never credited the horn samples in "one more time" despite a striking similarity to a song called "more spell on you". they actually denied it outright.

francoroks
01-20-2010, 01:43 PM
I thought this was a mau5 thread? In any case excited.. but I'm fairly sure there is going to be a horrible conflict. As long as Them Crooked Vultures dont interfere with any LCD, Banassi or Mau5, I'll be fucking ecstatic. Even with Passion Pit, Aeroplane, and Wolfgang Gartner, Monday is for sure electro day.

Monklish
01-20-2010, 01:46 PM
there is a very distinct difference between taking someones music, uncredited, and passing it off for your own. that is willfully deceitful and intended to take credit for something that you did not create. sampling, which is something that countless acts in electronic music and modern music in general do allll the fucking time, takes a piece of music that has already been created and incorporates it into a new idea while giving credit to the original work, a modern homage to a classic. youre right that its not the most original form of musicianship, but its not intended to be either. that is precisely why credit is given and samples cleared prior to releasing the work. daft punk have given us plenty of excellent tracks that are 100% original productions.

and btw, ill throw you a bone. daft punk never credited the horn samples in "one more time" despite a striking similarity to a song called "more spell on you". they actually denied it outright.

You're a goddamn idiot. Either way they are performing exactly the same degree of musicianship. I don't give a flying fuck whether or not they're being honest about it because I'm not judging them as people. It doesn't impress me that they're honest about what egregious ripoff artists they are.

How is that throwing me a bone? I don't give a fuck about credit. Shut up.

mmblack
01-20-2010, 01:58 PM
wolfgang gartner is probably the most electro-y person you just named.

but back on topic maybe it is a giant LED mousetrap and maybe it malfunctions and falls, stopping the music and trapping joel underneath while everyone just walks away to them crooked vultures, leaving him stuck their till morning, and then he realizes his rise to success is because of the people around him, and the crowd in front of him, not because of his immense talent. that is the best thing that could possibly come out of this surprise. and yes i listen to plenty of deadmau5, seen him at least six times. sometimes its been amazing, others i've been bored off my ass and walked away. he does have great versatility in his sets, but that also makes his live product unpredictable and depending on your mood and expectations you might be really let down.

guedita
01-20-2010, 02:19 PM
(the necklace thing was a joke)

Fair enough. I saw people posting legitimate hate yesterday following some strange logic that he shouldn't be at Coachella or regarded as a legitimate EDM artist because of how he used to rave in the scene (cue the pikachu picture). Which is baffling.

iammrcandyman
01-20-2010, 02:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKvyOs5Xy_Y

face melt.

HAMMERHEAD
01-20-2010, 02:31 PM
You're a goddamn idiot. Either way they are performing exactly the same degree of musicianship. I don't give a flying fuck whether or not they're being honest about it because I'm not judging them as people. It doesn't impress me that they're honest about what egregious ripoff artists they are.

How is that throwing me a bone? I don't give a fuck about credit. Shut up.

well since you clearly don't understand electronic music, much of which is grounded in some form of sampling or another, we can end our discussion here. and you still have not accounted for the majority of their work, which is not sample based. but like you normally do when you cant respond to something you can simply ignore it.

Fair enough. I saw people posting legitimate hate yesterday following some strange logic that he shouldn't be at Coachella or regarded as a legitimate EDM artist because of how he used to rave in the scene (cue the pikachu picture). Which is baffling.

yeah thats just fucking ridiculous. i guess we have to deal with our fair share of bullshit here, like people talking shit on electronic artists that sample other songs :rolleyes

Monklish
01-20-2010, 02:37 PM
There is a difference between a well hidden sample and lifting the entire melody of another song and just slapping it into yours. Typically an artist might, say, oh I dunno, change something about the sample. Like anything. Speed it up, slow it down, re-pitch it, fucking anything. You know, because most people don't want to be known for their songs being just an importing of another song with a kick drum thrown on top. They want to hide their tracks a little. Daft doesn't have such hangups.

Iit is really retarded of you to be trying to have this argument. You don't have any ground to stand on. They put on an amazing show, but the facts are the facts. As far as the majority of their work not being sampled, I don't think you know what the fuck you're talking about. All of their most popular--and actually good songs--are unbelievably sample heavy and indelicate about it in the fashion I have outlined. Shut the fuck up.

jackstraw94086
01-20-2010, 02:53 PM
they openly admit to all of their samples, which does not constitute stealing. all of the samples have to be cleared by the original artist for the label to have released the album to begin with. once again, not stealing. isn't all this shit in the cd sleeve for discovery? the fact that they can take samples from 20+ year old songs and make them sound ten times as good does a indicate there is some talent there. not to mention the instrumentals they themselves add to the samples, which constitutes making music no?. i find it no coincidence that their best work, homework, was their most original.

*edit* and by most original i'm referring to the least amount of sampling, which in the case of homework if virtually none.

openly admitting to basing all your music on samples in a legal manner does not excuse shit. They still raped a other people's songs and right when they were slipping into oblivion where they belong they bankroll a light show and capitalize on a bunch of 20-30yr old's nostalgia.

your "ten times as good" measure is completely subjective. Others would say they fucked up the originals samples. What's not subjective is the fact that they didn't really do much of anything at all on those samples. The guys are mainly famous for vocoding. (actually the only reason they're famous today is because of their light show).

Homework used lots of samples. And if Around The World and Revolution 909 and da funk (the only tracks anyone remembers) weren't sampled based then they're at least boring and derivative. The mid 90's was when americans were generally first getting aquainted with EDM and daft punk was just boring and milquetoast to be palatable. If they released that album today nobody would fucking notice. And if you suggest that it's only because their influence is strongly apparent in today's music I'd say that any 2 dipshits could have sampled disco shit. It was not groundbreaking or innovative.

SoulDischarge
01-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Alright. This fucker is everywhere and supposedly the biggest thing in EDM and supposedly his best productions aren't on his albums. Give me five tracks (either link to a YouTube, don't embed that shit because loading it gets annoying, or link to a Mediafire/Megaupload download) to convince me he's worth the hype. Thank you.

Anyone?

And hating on something for being sample based is a tired argument. Musicians have been creating music out of samples since before most of us were born. There's a way to do it creatively and there's a way to do it lazily. Which side of that equation Daft Punk falls into is down to everyone's personal opinion, but slagging them just for using samples is incredibly lame in 2010.

jackstraw94086
01-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Anyone?

And hating on something for being sample based is a tired argument. Musicians have been creating music out of samples since before most of us were born. There's a way to do it creatively and there's a way to do it lazily. Which side of that equation Daft Punk falls into is down to everyone's personal opinion, but slagging them just for using samples is incredibly lame in 2010.

Anyone who talks about EDM and "albums" is completely out of touch. EDM isn't about albums anymore. The shelflife of a dance track is about 3 months these days. EDM is sold as tracks or maybe even an EP these days. Producers have to get their music out quick so that the EDM community will buy it. EDM artists can still make money on DJ sites. DJ's will only spend $2.50+ on a track if it's fresh and new. And the longer they wait the better chance of bootlegs of shows and getting around and then everyone knows you're playing the same old shit and nobody will bother to come see a DJ when they expect him to play the same damn track they've heard before. Plus EDM artists a lot of time doing remixes for each other as part of their releases. Only well after a bunch of releases may add up to an album will a producer bother to release an full album these days. It's not like a damn rock show where a group can get away with performing the same damn set on a whole tour.

And the "hating on samples is old" argument is super fucking old and way fucking more tiresome. Just because something has been said a bunch of times doesn't mean it's not true. In fact it's usually been said a bunch of times because there is a strong basic truth to it.

Of course there are ways to use samples creatively. However if you think daft punk is being creative with the samples then you clearly just paroting that statement and have never heard it done creatively. Their most popular tracks are simply straight loops of samples with some vocoding on top.

steve7268
01-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Couple things:

A. Just because many "artists" borrow from others doesn't mean that all sampling is artistic or even good. You must judge each on a case by case basis. It's about effort and creativity.

B. I think the idea of the Mau5 stage setup is being confused with the LED Mau5head. The LED Mau5head is supposed to debut in London sometime soon, but i've never heard anything about yet another new stage setup. 40K must be what he spent on the mask because a stage setup would cost much more.

C. To Mmblack: It's pretty hard to have success without fans. In fact it's impossible. He could be more humble but he could also make lesser beats. Pick your poison.

steve7268
01-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Of course there are ways to use samples creatively. However if you think daft punk is being creative with the samples then you clearly just paroting that statement and have never heard it done creatively. Their most popular tracks are simply straight loops of samples with some vocoding on top.

Great points, all of them. Just because something is being done a lot doesn't make it any more legitimate. However, I think for someone to truly understand this, as a fan of EDM, they need to download a cheap or *free mixing program and just play around with it for a while, whether they are musically inclined or not. Once they find out how easy it is to do some of the stuff that they hear most DJs doing it will change their perspective as well as raise the bar of expectation. And I agree with a lot of what Deadmau5 said about "most DJs." He could have been nicer about it but he was dead on.

crazzz2007
01-21-2010, 05:20 AM
I read an article in a DJ mag that my friend had saying that he was having a custom mau5 head made with full LED video screen capabilities.....I think he was droppin' somewhere around $40k to have it made....

the pyramid cost about $500k right? so if he's spending $40k it's going to be a huge fail.

Monklish
01-21-2010, 05:24 AM
All I'm saying is there's a big fucking difference between Discovery and The Grey Album, alright? Both samples. Completely different levels of respectability and talent.

steve7268
01-21-2010, 07:13 AM
the pyramid cost about $500k right? so if he's spending $40k it's going to be a huge fail.

Again, he's not spending 40k on a stage setup. He's spending 40k on a mau5head that he will wear on his head.

Basically, a much better version of this:

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v376/116/8/1666590027/n1666590027_37025_7654.jpg

Now, if there really is a stage setup in the works, imagine how far he is willing to go if he is willing to spend 40k on a damn mask.

Monklish
01-21-2010, 07:14 AM
The pyramid was more like 350 tops, btw.

serranocarlos
01-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Man, so much hate in these message boards.

deadmau5 is a cool DJ to see live, I've seen him 3 times and every time he was entertaining (that's why you are paying right? to be entertained). If deadmau5 decides to create a huge turd and dance inside of it, let him do it, it's his money he can do whatever the fuck he wants. I'm sure he's not trying to show-up Daft Punk in any way, on the contrary every EDM artists respects Daft Punk. This is easily proven because I can guarantee you at one point in their career every DJ/producer/artist or whatever you wanna call them, has used a Daft Punk sample, track, or acapella. deadmau5 is one of many who has remixed one of their tracks: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.

And those saying that Daft Punk sucks and have no talent, until you can top what they have done in their careers (being the most recognized EDM artists in the WORLD), then say something. EDM is based on samples, samples, and more samples. No one said there were any rules to follow, they make music that makes people dance and have a good time, and that's what matters.

Ambookilluh
01-21-2010, 10:01 PM
I don't see why there is so much meaness in here.
Me personally, I love Joel and his music. I'd love to have a beer with him.
He deserves respect for getting to high now.

Im going to wear my mau5head for
support of his set.

Jefferson Blowdy
01-21-2010, 10:10 PM
I don't see why there is so much meaness in here.
Me personally, I love Joel and his music. I'd love to have a beer with him.
He deserves respect for getting to high now.

support of his set.

I actually heard he's kind of a douche so I would pass on the beer, unless it was on stage with him cuz i love his music.

Still-ill
01-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Speaking of surprises:
!!! (http://kuvaton.com/kuvei/failure_baby.gif)

Ambookilluh
01-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Speaking of surprises:
!!! (http://kuvaton.com/kuvei/failure_baby.gif)

that was amazing...

egh, even if he is a douche' i don't care.

steve7268
01-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Have you heard that he was a douche from someone he talked to or just by reading his interviews?

Also, Serranocarlos, you are right in that the whole point to going to a show is to have fun. However, some people have experience in the production and/or performance of electronic music and are just not as easily thrilled. It's a blessing and a curse. Knowing more about the music allows you to better appreciate those who are truly talented. But it does take away from the gimmicky acts, who shall remain nameless.

jackstraw94086
01-22-2010, 01:06 PM
And those saying that Daft Punk sucks and have no talent, until you can top what they have done in their careers (being the most recognized EDM artists in the WORLD), then say something. EDM is based on samples, samples, and more samples. No one said there were any rules to follow, they make music that makes people dance and have a good time, and that's what matters.

Two ridiculous common devices here:
1) You can't talk shit unless you can do it better:
That's horseshit. Would you eat a shitty meal and not complain simply because you don't have as many culinary accomplishments as the head chef? If it tastes like shit, it is shit.

2) They're extremely popular, so they must be good:
This is a shamefull and indefensible thing to say. McDonalds, Brittany Spears, American Idol. By your logic these things are all great by virtue of their popularity.

Some of us have a very good idea of exactly how Daft Punk does what they do. It's not really that complicated, especially when some other band had made the music for you in the first place.

Randy's got a great point with Discovery vs. The Grey Album. The Grey album is actually MORE sample based than Discovery but it's infinitely more original. There's no shame in basing your work on samples. There is virtue in the concept of the uncarved block, but daft punk just takes a shit on top of the block and you eat it up.

As far as "rules to follow", nobody's making any the argument that there is a proper formula for music. You made that up yourself. We're not bagging on Daft Punk purely because of their method. Their actual finished product happens to also be milquetoast and mediocre at best. They got lucky as far as when they came on the scene, and only generate popularity now because of gimmiks. Ooooh look at those two guys in masks in that big blinky pyramid. My face is melting!! someone squeeze my tits!!

The music is boring, unchallenging, suitable for a 90's night at the local bar. If that's your bag then great. enjoy your daft punk.

The regrettable thing about an act like Daft Punk is that their popularity winds up infecting other EDM. Otherwise good producers wind up catering to large markets by trying to sound like them. This was rampant with the Justice crap of a few years ago. That's why it's OK to rail against shit like Daft Punk.

R41N570RM
01-22-2010, 03:28 PM
hold up, it's just now occurring to me that there are going to be people bringing in mouse heads which they will be carrying around all day and will for sure at one point be blocking my view of something...

malcolmjamalawesome
01-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Again, he's not spending 40k on a stage setup. He's spending 40k on a mau5head that he will wear on his head.

Basically, a much better version of this:

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v376/116/8/1666590027/n1666590027_37025_7654.jpg

Now, if there really is a stage setup in the works, imagine how far he is willing to go if he is willing to spend 40k on a damn mask.

Anyone got a source to cite saying that his big production is going to be a mask? I'm not buying it.

Mr. Dylanja
01-22-2010, 03:38 PM
hold up, it's just now occurring to me that there are going to be people bringing in mouse heads which they will be carrying around all day and will for sure at one point be blocking my view of something...

Hopefully they'll take advantage of the ins and outs policy.

heart cooks brain
01-22-2010, 03:39 PM
^ This

malcolmjamalawesome
01-22-2010, 03:41 PM
But I'm saying says who?

gooftroop
01-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Have you heard that he was a douche from someone he talked to or just by reading his interviews?

Just to add on to this I heard the same from a chicago based DJ I met once at UMF last year through a friend. The guy said he always talked about himself and how great his shit was but you can bet some of that was a bit of jealousy on his own part. Truth is Deadmau5 is a good DJ and has a good show (some of the best bass I've ever heard). HOWEVER he is nothing revolutionary, it will be interesting to see how his ego holds up over the years. I feel most really popular DJ's have to have some type of ego about what they do. I had a great time the last gig I saw him at and will catch him again this year if possible, but I'm not missing really rare acts like Fever Ray etc to catch some light show. Obviously it won't be near as good as Daft's :rolleyes

malcolmjamalawesome
01-22-2010, 03:49 PM
I dunno, some asshole named Steve.

Some asshole named Steve is becoming the bane of my existence. I'm pretty sure some asshole named Steve said Jay-Z was the 2nd pick after a mystery headliner fell through, too.

James
01-22-2010, 03:56 PM
support of his set.

please don't...

oh and fuck Steve. he's an asshole.

serranocarlos
01-22-2010, 04:56 PM
That's horseshit. Would you eat a shitty meal and not complain simply because you don't have as many culinary accomplishments as the head chef? If it tastes like shit, it is shit.

This is a shamefull and indefensible thing to say. McDonalds, Brittany Spears, American Idol. By your logic these things are all great by virtue of their popularity.

Some of us have a very good idea of exactly how Daft Punk does what they do. It's not really that complicated, especially when some other band had made the music for you in the first place.

Randy's got a great point with Discovery vs. The Grey Album. The Grey album is actually MORE sample based than Discovery but it's infinitely more original. There's no shame in basing your work on samples. There is virtue in the concept of the uncarved block, but daft punk just takes a shit on top of the block and you eat it up.

As far as "rules to follow", nobody's making any the argument that there is a proper formula for music. You made that up yourself. We're not bagging on Daft Punk purely because of their method. Their actual finished product happens to also be milquetoast and mediocre at best. They got lucky as far as when they came on the scene, and only generate popularity now because of gimmiks. Ooooh look at those two guys in masks in that big blinky pyramid. My face is melting!! someone squeeze my tits!!

The music is boring, unchallenging, suitable for a 90's night at the local bar. If that's your bag then great. enjoy your daft punk.

The regrettable thing about an act like Daft Punk is that their popularity winds up infecting other EDM. Otherwise good producers wind up catering to large markets by trying to sound like them. This was rampant with the Justice crap of a few years ago. That's why it's OK to rail against shit like Daft Punk.

LOL, I love guys like you, thinking they know everything about music. Daft Punk is huge because they are good at what they do. They produce music that's enjoyable to a lot of people & present it pretty damn well. If you had a great new idea for a company, and you presented it in a shitty way, most likely it will go un-noticed. Stop looking at all the damn technicalities of it, at the end of the day it's what comes out of speakers/headphones that is what's important. I don't care if someone makes the most original sound in the entire world but it sucks, if it sucks then no one will ever listen to it.

So what I'm trying to say is don't base everything on your opinion, because quite frankly your wrong based on record sales and sold out stadiums. If it was that BORING & MEDIOCRE like you say it is, then Daft Punk wouldn't be played around the globe.

leogang89
01-22-2010, 05:36 PM
YES! PLEASE!
A far superior live experience, but heres for REALLY FUCKING HOPING they don't conflict.

summerkid
01-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Deadmau5: “There are now four. And a new LED head is being built in Canada right now. The LED head is really starting to take shape, we are just not sure when it will be ready to unveil; maybe on New Year’s Eve.”

http://www.trackitdown.net/news/show/103118.html

This is all I can find on any new set up.

This interview explains his Live set up for his upcoming US tour doesn't sound like anything that will rival daft punk's pyramid.

http://www.looptv.net/archives/921

jackstraw94086
01-22-2010, 07:19 PM
LOL, I love guys like you, thinking they know everything about music. Daft Punk is huge because they are good at what they do. They produce music that's enjoyable to a lot of people & present it pretty damn well. If you had a great new idea for a company, and you presented it in a shitty way, most likely it will go un-noticed. Stop looking at all the damn technicalities of it, at the end of the day it's what comes out of speakers/headphones that is what's important. I don't care if someone makes the most original sound in the entire world but it sucks, if it sucks then no one will ever listen to it.

So what I'm trying to say is don't base everything on your opinion, because quite frankly your wrong based on record sales and sold out stadiums. If it was that BORING & MEDIOCRE like you say it is, then Daft Punk wouldn't be played around the globe.

I love guys like you, ignorant of the possibility that fame and celebrity don't equate to talent. Just because it's a mystery to you how they make music doesn't mean it's magic. Whether you believe it or not, there are people who know how to make music other than daft punk. What they do isn't that incredible. As music production goes it's not really that intense. You don't have to know "everything about music" to know that. And You don't have to get bogged down in technicalities. It doesn't take a fashion designer to point out that the emporer is wearing no clothes.

Your "great idea for a company presented badly goes unnoticed" bit, which I assume is an analogy for great music going unnoticed, is actually an argument in favor of what I'm talking about. Thanks

Again you fall into the "it's popular so it must be good" trap. People eat Burger King all over the globe. Millions swear they love it. So quote all the record sales and stadium sellouts you wish. Brittney Spears has sold more. What does that tell you? You don't have to be great musicians to gain world reknown. daft punk wouldn't be a shred as successful touring as they are without the blinky lights. You know it.

serranocarlos
01-22-2010, 07:43 PM
I love guys like you, ignorant of the possibility that fame and celebrity don't equate to talent. Just because it's a mystery to you how they make music doesn't mean it's magic. Whether you believe it or not, there are people who know how to make music other than daft punk. What they do isn't that incredible. As music production goes it's not really that intense. You don't have to know "everything about music" to know that. And You don't have to get bogged down in technicalities. It doesn't take a fashion designer to point out that the emporer is wearing no clothes.

Your "great idea for a company presented badly goes unnoticed" bit, which I assume is an analogy for great music going unnoticed, is actually an argument in favor of what I'm talking about. Thanks

Again you fall into the "it's popular so it must be good" trap. People eat Burger King all over the globe. Millions swear they love it. So quote all the record sales and stadium sellouts you wish. Brittney Spears has sold more. What does that tell you? You don't have the be great musicians to gain world reknown. daft punk wouldn't be a shred as successful touring as they are without the blinky lights. You know it.

Your opinion that's all I'm trying to say. Their fame came from their album "Discovery", they could have played like every other DJ and still be what they are now, I'll guarantee it. Can I prove it? No, because they went beyond everyone's expectations in presenting it and they are what they are now.

Using your comparison: Burger King is bad for you, I will admit that, but it tastes good. Just because it's bad for you doesn't take away the good taste in it, but that's why it makes millions, because many people love it. Again like I said, your opinion, you don't like Burger King.

Lastly what I'm trying to get at is I don't get how people like you say some artists are bad when there are millions of followers. It doesn't make sense at all. You should really use the words "in my opinion" rather than "they are bad", because it makes you seem somewhat musically ignorant to other people.

jackstraw94086
01-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Your opinion that's all I'm trying to say. Their fame came from their album "Discovery", they could have played like every other DJ and still be what they are now, I'll guarantee it. Can I prove it? No, because they went beyond everyone's expectations in presenting it and they are what they are now.

Using your comparison: Burger King is bad for you, I will admit that, but it tastes good. Just because it's bad for you doesn't take away the good taste in it, but that's why it makes millions, because many people love it. Again like I said, your opinion, you don't like Burger King.

Lastly what I'm trying to get at is I don't get how people like you say some artists are bad when there are millions of followers. It doesn't make sense at all. You should really use the words "in my opinion" rather than "they are bad", because it makes you seem somewhat musically ignorant to other people.

jesus christ there you go again. How can someone like me say an artist is bad when they have millions of followers? Do you really need more examples of how ridiculous that concept is?

You're absolutely flat out wrong about them being as big as they are now without their blinky lights. Those lights are all anybody seems to remember.

Daft Punk is as bad for you as burger king. Trust me. daft punk is to EDM what Dane Cook is to comedy.

Brochella
01-22-2010, 09:00 PM
this argument is almost as boring as "sometimes things get, whatever"

jackstraw94086
01-22-2010, 09:26 PM
this argument is almost as boring as "sometimes things get, whatever"

please give me your dealer's #.

serranocarlos
01-23-2010, 12:03 AM
jesus christ there you go again. How can someone like me say an artist is bad when they have millions of followers? Do you really need more examples of how ridiculous that concept is?

You're absolutely flat out wrong about them being as big as they are now without their blinky lights. Those lights are all anybody seems to remember.

Daft Punk is as bad for you as burger king. Trust me. daft punk is to EDM what Dane Cook is to comedy.

You just keep on giving your opinion, this is pointless...so...

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6607/ronaldmcgtfo.jpg

steve7268
01-23-2010, 10:23 AM
jack has a point. a good one at that. There are thousands of musicians out there that we haven't even heard of. Just local acts that put a lot of time and originality into their work. Ask these guys what they think of daft punk. Heck, i bet even Deadmau5 doesn't think too highly of them. (Yes he remixed them but that's more political than anything). Say what you want about Joel Zimmerman but he does engineer all of his own sounds from scratch. You have to be somewhat of a computer geek to do this, and you're not necessarily untalented as a musician if you can't, but the fact that he is capable in both regards is what makes him what he is. He's not the best in the world. But he's very good.

And BTW I'm not an asshole, and i'm definitely not the guy who predicted Jay Z, i wouldn't wish that on anyone.

betao
01-23-2010, 10:26 AM

Took the words right out of my mouth.

steve7268
01-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Interesting interview there with Deadmau5. He says his new album should be out in March or April?

So.. New Material + New Mau5head + New Stage Setup

This is precisely why GV brought him in.

Trick Loves The Kids
01-23-2010, 01:48 PM

every time I think I should come back and post here I read things like this and remember why it's a bad idea

Rukes
01-23-2010, 03:28 PM
This thread is pretty funny, especially with people like somehow thinks my Twitter is Deadmau5. People don't like to read before they post. When I say I think it will be Daft Punk rivalling, I only say that since it was the last big production at the Sahara tent specifically made for Coachella.

A few of you are close, way too many are way off base with your guessing. Theres lots of stuff even I don't know yet; don't forget it's still January and Coachella isn't until even after WMC/Ultra.

All the previous show production has nothing to do with Coachella, that was just the last tour's stuff (HARD was one of the first dates of the last tour).

steve7268
01-23-2010, 06:42 PM
This thread is pretty funny, especially with people like somehow thinks my Twitter is Deadmau5. People don't like to read before they post. When I say I think it will be Daft Punk rivalling, I only say that since it was the last big production at the Sahara tent specifically made for Coachella.

A few of you are close, way too many are way off base with your guessing. Theres lots of stuff even I don't know yet; don't forget it's still January and Coachella isn't until even after WMC/Ultra.

All the previous show production has nothing to do with Coachella, that was just the last tour's stuff (HARD was one of the first dates of the last tour).

When I first saw the post, i figured that you were more referring to the production as a whole than one component of it. I honestly don't think it matters what he does, given the sound quality in the Sahara. Additional lighting would be icing on the cake. Now, if he is trying to blow us away, all the better.

Without giving away specifics, is he actually creating something specifically for coachella?

sonicc
01-23-2010, 07:25 PM
When I first saw the post, i figured that you were more referring to the production as a whole than one component of it. I honestly don't think it matters what he does, given the sound quality in the Sahara. Additional lighting would be icing on the cake. Now, if he is trying to blow us away, all the better.

Without giving away specifics, is he actually creating something specifically for coachella?

rofl why would he tell some *** like you in a message board, and give away a secret, are you fucking retarded or something

mickflyy
01-23-2010, 07:27 PM
yeah he told me to ... i think he is making a bigger mouse head it going to be sooooo sweet you guys.

sonicc
01-23-2010, 07:33 PM
the only thing he would tell you is no autographs bitch, you dont know shit

steve7268
01-23-2010, 10:21 PM
rofl why would he tell some *** like you in a message board, and give away a secret, are you fucking retarded or something

good lord. go outside much?

HongKongDon
01-24-2010, 03:04 AM
Rukes is a professional photographer for edm events such as edc and monster massive. http://www.rukes.com/ He also follows deadmau5 on his tour and knows him personally...if anyone knows anything about deadmau5's new stage show it is Rukes.

discobotica
01-24-2010, 04:41 AM
I sooper <3 this thread...........the fact that we're even putting the mau5 and the punk in the same sentence is........well, flattering to say the least........

steve7268
01-24-2010, 09:11 AM
I sooper <3 this thread...........the fact that we're even putting the mau5 and the punk in the same sentence is........well, flattering to say the least........

Flattering to whom? Are you the mau5?

steve7268
01-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Rukes is a professional photographer for edm events such as edc and monster massive. http://www.rukes.com/ He also follows deadmau5 on his tour and knows him personally...if anyone knows anything about deadmau5's new stage show it is Rukes.

well, i guess that's why i asked him a question about it then.

discobotica
01-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Flattering to whom? Are you the mau5?

tehehehehehehe *snickers off wearing "Titties" t-shirt and mau5head*

http://www.ilikemusic.com/images/article_images/full/joelmau5_full.jpg

steve7268
01-24-2010, 09:56 AM
tehehehehehehe *snickers off wearing "Titties" t-shirt and mau5head*

http://www.ilikemusic.com/images/article_images/full/joelmau5_full.jpg

lol, you crack me up.

discobotica
01-24-2010, 10:05 AM
lol, you crack me up.

a mau5 can't be cracked.........only eaten by robots for breakfast!

Devin the Dude
01-24-2010, 10:36 AM
oh my gosh i just read this thread.

love you deadmau5.

love you Daft Punk.

love you both.

Tiesto
01-24-2010, 10:51 AM
3 minutes in he talks about the LED helmet

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tzyCeUU8kk8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tzyCeUU8kk8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

caco0283
01-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Even Deadmau5 likes Daft Punk

t8TSMYh9UCI&NR=1

steve7268
01-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Even Deadmau5 likes Daft Punk

t8TSMYh9UCI&NR=1

We will never know, but I think there is a difference between liking an artist and creating a remix of one of the most popular electronic songs ever (doing it very well i might add).

ADrunkPoet
01-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Deadmau5 is not bad, but is no Daft Punk.

The comparison is just ridiculous, and perhaps one of his handlers should have never instigated such a comparison by making comments that brought it on.

biscodiscos
01-24-2010, 01:03 PM
oh my god i can't believe people are talking shit on daft fucking punk LOL!!! that's some of the dumbest shit i've read on here yet. daft punk are some of the greatest edm producers of all time. they will go down in history. people are making it out to seem like every single song of theirs is based entirely on samples which isn't true at all. even on discovery the majority was not samples. deadmau5 is sick but just doesn't compare

LunaVC
01-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Deadmau5 is not electro, he is proper proper progressive house.

I just wish this, Boys Noise auto-tune electro parody of good house music would end to be honest. I see a lot of Emo kids moving to dubstep. There's hope.

LunaVC
01-24-2010, 02:01 PM
I would love to Daft Punk DJ set back to back with Todd Edwards.

TE is killing it right now, love his new housey stuff.

discobotica
01-24-2010, 02:47 PM
oh my god i can't believe people are talking shit on daft fucking punk LOL!!! that's some of the dumbest shit i've read on here yet. daft punk are some of the greatest edm producers of all time. they will go down in history. people are making it out to seem like every single song of theirs is based entirely on samples which isn't true at all. even on discovery the majority was not samples. deadmau5 is sick but just doesn't compare

I would love to Daft Punk DJ set back to back with Todd Edwards.

TE is killing it right now, love his new housey stuff.

Both of you are correct.......a little harder to realize actually how good of DJ's they are until one hears DP '98 Essential Selection or DP '97 Essential Mix..........I was just enlightened by these recently, and I'm sure u will be if u haven't been already..........gotta check out some Todd Edwards, thx for droppin' the name luna....

LunaVC
01-24-2010, 02:49 PM
no worries Disco Dawgy

to be honest

anyone who hates Deadmau4 or Daft Punks

Well, they they they

can go cruise it on east street

know what I'm saying

Monklish
01-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Both of you are correct.......a little harder to realize actually how good of DJ's they are until one hears DP '98 Essential Selection or DP '97 Essential Mix..........I was just enlightened by these recently, and I'm sure u will be if u haven't been already..........gotta check out some Todd Edwards, thx for droppin' the name luna....

The discussion is about how talented of producers they are and you're bringing up how good their DJ sets were.

Sonicifyouwantit
01-24-2010, 04:27 PM

hahaha, such comedy.

Mak Attack
01-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Why oh why can't we all just like the exact same music? Things would just be so wonderful and bland.

This thread has inspired me to check out deadmau5 barring any conflicts. Good job team.

Jefferson Blowdy
01-24-2010, 08:05 PM

DP's essential mixes are golden!

LunaVC
01-25-2010, 07:25 AM
The discussion is about how talented of producers they are and you're bringing up how good their DJ sets were.

OH SH*T

ERE HE GOES!!

discobotica
01-25-2010, 01:26 PM

My apologies Monk, I know I tend to get off topic at times.....

dancinginthedesert
01-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Reading this thread, I was thinking about how much uber-music-fan, I-will-denigrate-others'-more-mainstream-tastes hating would have gone down if they booked Calvin Harris or something. Take some drugs, get someone to rub your earlobes, enjoy the tunes you want to enjoy, and don't worry about what other people are listening to.

sonicc
01-25-2010, 06:43 PM
HEY DEADMAU5 YOUR SET SOUNDS LIKE ITS GONNA BE GREAT N ALL...BUT DAFT PUNK HAD ONE OF THE BEST COACHELLA PERFORMANCES OF ALL TIME...OF ALL TIME!...

http://gritsandeggs.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/kanye_west300.jpg

steve7268
01-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Reading this thread, I was thinking about how much uber-music-fan, I-will-denigrate-others'-more-mainstream-tastes hating would have gone down if they booked Calvin Harris or something. Take some drugs, get someone to rub your earlobes, enjoy the tunes you want to enjoy, and don't worry about what other people are listening to.

on that note, i'm bringing some sort of Michael Jackson-esque breathing filter for the Sahara. Maybe it will be lined with vicks, maybe not, but it will definitely keep me from getting sick for a week like last year.

kuuguy
01-25-2010, 07:30 PM
HEY DEADMAU5 YOUR SET SOUNDS LIKE ITS GONNA BE GREAT N ALL...BUT DAFT PUNK HAD ONE OF THE BEST COACHELLA PERFORMANCES OF ALL TIME...OF ALL TIME!...

That's one of the best posts I've ever seen! Thanks!

Brochella
01-25-2010, 07:30 PM

your posts are shit

this thread is awful

jackstraw94086
01-26-2010, 09:19 AM
every time I think I should come back and post here I read things like this and remember why it's a bad idea

Every time you leave I remember why it was a good idea to come back here.

jackstraw94086
01-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Deadmau5 is not electro, he is proper proper progressive house.

I just wish this, Boys Noise auto-tune electro parody of good house music would end to be honest. I see a lot of Emo kids moving to dubstep. There's hope.

He used to be electro, and still is from time to time. It's just that his proggy shit is what caught on for him.

LunaVC
01-26-2010, 10:31 AM
HOTEL

MOTEL

HOLIDAY INN!

BIRTHDAY SEX!

BIRTHDAY SEX!

I seriously want these Tap Out, fricking nu rave hoodie wearing douche bag auto-tuned weak "is it RnB? is it hip hop? is it house?" electro nonsense to die.

Give house music back to the adults. Seriously want Todd Edwards at Coachella. Seriously.

jackstraw94086
01-26-2010, 12:09 PM
who ever called that shit electro?

sonicc
01-26-2010, 12:10 PM
HOTEL

MOTEL

HOLIDAY INN!

BIRTHDAY SEX!

BIRTHDAY SEX!

I seriously want these Tap Out, fricking nu rave hoodie wearing douche bag auto-tuned weak "is it RnB? is it hip hop? is it house?" electro nonsense to die.

Give house music back to the adults. Seriously want Todd Edwards at Coachella. Seriously.

what the fuck are you talking about?

jackstraw94086
01-26-2010, 12:11 PM

Calvin Harris is cheezy but he's at least genuine.

wash that sand out of your vagina before posting again.

sonicc
01-26-2010, 12:13 PM
lols its the guy who compared burger king to daft punk

nom nom nom

steve7268
01-26-2010, 04:47 PM
just to fuel a few fires:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-your-own-Deadmau5-Mau5head/

Rukes
01-27-2010, 11:55 AM

I love Daft Punk, but seriously you have be pretty...er...daft...if you don't realize that most of thier songs are just one sample repeated over and over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJPdVVOmbz4

weezy f baby
01-27-2010, 12:07 PM
I love Daft Punk, but seriously you have be pretty...er...daft...if you don't realize that most of thier songs are just one sample repeated over and over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJPdVVOmbz4

LOL 1 minute youtube video = MOST of their songs.

You must think their entire catalog comprises of 1 minute and 30 seconds worth of music.

Mr. Dylanja
01-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Jack, what djs do you recommend checking out?

jackstraw94086
01-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Jack, what djs do you recommend checking out?

EDM's too broad a term to try to answer that question. What general style of music do you mean?

Monklish
01-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Let's tailor the question to Coachella--who on the lineup do you think will make the asses shake?

jackstraw94086
01-27-2010, 01:01 PM
LOL 1 minute youtube video = MOST of their songs.

You must think their entire catalog comprises of 1 minute and 30 seconds worth of music.

that was just a few examples.

And it was just an few seconds of a few examples. For those tracks shown they used those loops for several minutes. What genius.

Mr. Dylanja
01-27-2010, 01:13 PM
What Monky said.

jackstraw94086
01-27-2010, 01:26 PM
There really isn't a lot of EDM there this year.
Deadmau5 will probably be near the best EDM of what you have to choose from, definitely the biggest spectacle.

Even for all my mild complaints about his recent music, I'd still say Bassnectar would be the most entertaining EDM of the festival.

Pretty Lights is good in small chunks, but can be boring as a full show. Therefore coachella is the perfect place to see them since you can simply drift away when it gets tiresom.

FlyLo is probably the most unique EDM on the official lineup.

I don't see anything else of interest.

EDIT: Actually I spotted Hadouken! on there. Not too familiar with them but they've had a bunch of releases/remixes out recently. I've heard a few that are kinda catchy.

To be honest the Do Lab's stage will probably have the most interesting music, even without knowinf for sure what's going to be there.

Monklish
01-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Well that fucking sucks. 2manydjs?

jackstraw94086
01-27-2010, 01:33 PM
not a big fan of mashup stuff.

jackstraw94086
01-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Deadmau5 will probably be near the best EDM of what you have to choose from, definitely the biggest spectacle.

Even for all my mild complaints about his recent music, I'd still say Bassnectar would be the most entertaining EDM of the festival.

Pretty Lights is good in small chunks, but can be boring as a full show. Therefore coachella is the perfect place to see them since you can simply drift away when it gets tiresom.

EDIT: Actually I spotted Hadouken! on there. Not too familiar with them but they've had a bunch of releases/remixes out recently. I've heard a few that are kinda catchy.

To be honest the Do Lab's stage will probably have the most interesting music, even without knowinf for sure what's going to be there.

actually if I forgot Orbital (if they play old old stuff).

And if you're stuck there anyway you may as well catch wolfgang gartner. He's had some of the biggest tracks of 2009. I'm surprised he's billed so low actually I'm sure his live show is will be entertaining to a reasonable extent.

Craze & Klever may be an interesting afternoon set too. I've never heard them performing together but I'm intrigued.

Monklish
01-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Is that what 2manydjs does? Ugh, fuck that.

Yeah I kinda dug what I heard of Wolfgang. Oh, and Orbital sucks.

jackstraw94086
01-27-2010, 02:08 PM
actually I take back hadouken! The interesting stuff I head associated were remixes of his tracks. His album is kinda crap, a half-assed Prodigy sound.

mmblack
01-27-2010, 02:12 PM
just to fuel a few fires:

just what we need in the sahara. a bunch of fucktard high schoolers running around with mau5 heads on. this was a cool idea two years ago and then i saw twenty-seven of them at everything deadmau5 has played since.

Rukes
01-27-2010, 03:02 PM
that was just a few examples.

And it was just an few seconds of a few examples. For those tracks shown they used those loops for several minutes. What genius.

Shh, you are going to make Weezy F Baby cry, don't feed the trolls ;)

Seriously though, I dobut many people are as lazy or stupid as Weezy to find all the samples for the rest of the songs.

Here's a good starting point:
http://www.ishkur.com/samples/

sonicc
01-27-2010, 05:13 PM

rofl worst advice ever, dont listen to this shitty advice...

juloxx
01-27-2010, 05:17 PM
^^^ I second this post

steve7268
01-27-2010, 06:49 PM
just what we need in the sahara. a bunch of fucktard high schoolers running around with mau5 heads on. this was a cool idea two years ago and then i saw twenty-seven of them at everything deadmau5 has played since.

or you could just stop being so anti-social

here it is again for those who missed it:

ELECtROjan
01-27-2010, 06:53 PM
aj and i will be collecting left ears. the more the merrier

steve7268
01-27-2010, 08:00 PM
aj and i will be collecting left ears. the more the merrier

Which left, the Mau5'5 left or your left?

i have to know, i'm installing thief-killing lasers in the eyes of mine.

jackstraw94086
01-28-2010, 07:21 AM
rofl worst advice ever, dont listen to this shitty advice...
Let's get your assessment EDM at coachella this year.

Go ahead let's see what you're into, troll.

jackstraw94086
01-28-2010, 07:22 AM
^^^ I second this post

tell us more about "westcoast g-funk"

steve7268
01-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Do we all agree that Guetta is just fucking unlistenable?

juloxx
01-28-2010, 09:05 AM
tell us more about "westcoast g-funk"

ummmm sure. what do you want to know?

tmac
01-28-2010, 12:33 PM
definitely not.

we need some nate dogg

steve7268
01-28-2010, 12:45 PM
or just trot out Derek Fisher, he's both gangster and money

juloxx
01-28-2010, 06:38 PM
definitely not.

we need some nate dogg

http://mybroadband.co.za/photos/data/500/seal-of-approval.jpg

mickflyy
01-28-2010, 06:55 PM
be honest do you think deadmau5 would be as popular without the mouse head, i mean his music is pretty ordianry

sonicc
01-29-2010, 01:26 AM
Let's get your assessment EDM at coachella this year.

Go ahead let's see what you're into, troll.

stfu

sonicc
01-29-2010, 01:46 AM
be honest do you think deadmau5 would be as popular without the mouse head, i mean his music is pretty ordianry

his tracks are one of the most played tracks by most DJs in the world. im sure an mp3/wav file does not have a little mau5 head dancing around.

sonicc
01-29-2010, 01:47 AM

absolutely not. seen him 2 times and he makes the crowd go ape shit. sorry to tell you, you are one of the few that dislike guetta.

steve7268
01-29-2010, 06:38 AM
absolutely not. seen him 2 times and he makes the crowd go ape shit. sorry to tell you, you are one of the few that dislike guetta.

yeah, so does girltalk. maybe i've been listening to the wrong stuff, but it seems that every single song of his has a large pop element to it. always a famous singer, never enough focus on the beats.

maybe you can point me a different direction, though.

ELECtROjan
01-29-2010, 06:57 AM
Which left, the Mau5'5 left or your left?

i have to know, i'm installing thief-killing lasers in the eyes of mine.

from joels perspective it will be the right ear

sonicc
01-29-2010, 09:38 AM
yeah, so does girltalk. maybe i've been listening to the wrong stuff, but it seems that every single song of his has a large pop element to it. always a famous singer, never enough focus on the beats.

maybe you can point me a different direction, though.

well he is a HOUSE DJ. house is very soulful & full of vocals. ron carroll, steve edwards, chris willis, jd davis. thats his style and has mastered it perfectly, i cant think of any house DJ that does it as well as guetta. and now that his style has reached his maximum, he gets offers from big time artists in the us. i dont know about you, but if someone offered me millions of dollars to produce a track, id do it. his goal is to make dance music EXPLODE in the states, so instead of hearing hiphop all day on the radio, maybe youd hear some EDM. its a smart strategy, grabbing artists that are loved by the states, and adding him to his productions to grab attention from those who are unfamiliar with the genre.

steve7268
01-29-2010, 11:03 AM
well he is a HOUSE DJ. house is very soulful & full of vocals. ron carroll, steve edwards, chris willis, jd davis. thats his style and has mastered it perfectly, i cant think of any house DJ that does it as well as guetta. and now that his style has reached his maximum, he gets offers from big time artists in the us. i dont know about you, but if someone offered me millions of dollars to produce a track, id do it. his goal is to make dance music EXPLODE in the states, so instead of hearing hiphop all day on the radio, maybe youd hear some EDM. its a smart strategy, grabbing artists that are loved by the states, and adding him to his productions to grab attention from those who are unfamiliar with the genre.

i'm not going to get into a discussion over what is true house and what isn't. Equally as unimportant is whether or not I would take money for making music with a certain artist if I were in his position (I most likely would). Now that you mention it, though, I do think it's good that SOMEONE is making electronic music more popular here. But when something becomes more popular, in this country, it is usually at the degradation of quality.

When it comes to Guetta, my absolute only concern is the sound that I will hear when I'm in the Sahara that night. Will I get some great beats with complimentary vocals, or will I get a bunch of corny, dominating vocals with complimentary sounds in the background?

EddieF
01-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Deadmau5 is as much electro as he is house
He spans genres, that's why he's so popular

sonicc
01-29-2010, 11:09 AM
i'm not going to get into a discussion over what is true house and what isn't. Equally as unimportant is whether or not I would take money for making music with a certain artist if I were in his position (I most likely would). Now that you mention it, though, I do think it's good that SOMEONE is making electronic music more popular here. But when something becomes more popular, in this country, it is usually at the degradation of quality.

When it comes to Guetta, my absolute only concern is the sound that I will hear when I'm in the Sahara that night. Will I get some great beats with complimentary vocals, or will I get a bunch of corny, dominating vocals with complimentary sounds in the background?

guetta plays differently when he is in europe and when he is in the u.s., most likely you will be hearing commercial as it gets, aka throwing down LIL JON, LMFAO, FLO RIDA acapellas left n right, and honestly i would do the same. hes playing for his crowd, and the majority of the people that attend are more likely to recognize those artists than if he would play some progressive/tech house(when in europe). hes a crowd pleaser, an entertainer more than anything, which is good, because thats why im paying him for.

EddieF
01-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Probably true. I saw Eric Prydz in Liverpool and the only track of his I recognised was Pjanoo, none of that Call on Me rubbish. Good thing it was too. He played Chem Bros and the Prodigy during the night