PDA

View Full Version : Coming from the UK

kingsleyk
01-15-2010, 02:23 AM
Thinking of going this year, should be able to afford it but I doubt my mates can, how easy would it be to go by myself and still have people to chill with/have fun and not be by myself/hate everything?

If not that, any other people from England going?

Also, as for alcohol, the drinking age here is 18 so I'd hate to go there and not be able to, what's the deal? I want to drink at night, not during the day.

Any help would be sweet, cheers.

sonofhal
01-15-2010, 04:15 AM
You'll have a good time. Join the camping all alone group to meet people in a similar situation.

Drinking is 21, and you will need ID to get into the drinking areas. I'm assuming from your question that you are not.

kingsleyk
01-15-2010, 04:51 AM
You'll have a good time. Join the camping all alone group to meet people in a similar situation.

Drinking is 21, and you will need ID to get into the drinking areas. I'm assuming from your question that you are not.

Yeah, I'll be 20 when I'm there, lame.

Might have to do that, wanna go real bad.

fatbastard
01-15-2010, 05:22 AM
Please come on over and experience something that can only be explained by attending.

There is another thread somewhere explaining how the police will be enforcing underage drinking. Being careful would be my only advice on this subject.

What has been said in general about the conduct of Americans is mostly true, however, this event brings out the best in Americans. I take pride in walking around each year and experiencing how wonderful people are on this little patch of grass in the middle of the desert.

Hope to see you there.

kingsleyk
01-15-2010, 05:27 AM
What has been said in general about the conduct of Americans is mostly true, however, this event brings out the best in Americans. I take pride in walking around each year and experiencing how wonderful people are on this little patch of grass in the middle of the desert.

I have no misconceptions about Americans, in fact my Dad is one, I have a lot of family in the US and I am a citizen!

nil_by_mouth
01-15-2010, 09:08 AM
I have no misconceptions about Americans, in fact my Dad is one, I have a lot of family in the US and I am a citizen!

That's pretty funny!

I live in California now, so this is relatively local, but I came from London for my first three and it was always well worth the trip. Thankfully, it's a very different experience to what we have at home.

I don't know how long you'd be here for, or what your plans are in terms of logitics, but the difficulty in getting a car at your age (even if you want one) is a bit of a headache. Obviously the festival looks like it's the main draw for you, but it just creates hurdles if you have to work out travel to and from also.

Given that you have family here, this may be pointless, but I'd be happy to offer any help I can. If you have questions etc., just drop me a pm. That goes for anyone...

Cheers.

kingsleyk
01-18-2010, 06:39 AM
I've dropped a PM! Cheers.

amy2705
01-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Im coming from the UK for my Third Coachella, my advice... Just do it. You will be so thankful that you did, but be warned of the fact you may spend year after year trying to work out how to can get back and every January will be tense waiting for the line up.

Coachella is an addiction.

Bontcho
01-18-2010, 07:42 PM
kingsleyk, I'm from Ipswich too and it looks like my mates will drop out so I'm heading to my first Coachella by myself as well. Where are you flying in to?? I'm planning on hiring a car and camping but I've got no firm plans as yet.

kingsleyk
01-19-2010, 12:18 AM
kingsleyk, I'm from Ipswich too and it looks like my mates will drop out so I'm heading to my first Coachella by myself as well. Where are you flying in to?? I'm planning on hiring a car and camping but I've got no firm plans as yet.

Well I do have someone to travel with now thankfully! We haven't worked anything out definitely yet, had to figure out if we could afford it first. I'll let you know when we've got things sorted out a bit better!

MagicalWebkinz
01-19-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm in the south bay (california) and would be going with my mom - she loves coachella - and we have big car! Coachella is a must!

brewstercraven
01-19-2010, 12:30 PM
just seen the lineup and im desperate to go. im from manchester and unfortunately will still be 20 in april (bday is in july).

you can still drink in the campsite thou cant ya?

nil_by_mouth
01-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Im coming from the UK for my Third Coachella, my advice... Just do it. You will be so thankful that you did, but be warned of the fact you may spend year after year trying to work out how to can get back and every January will be tense waiting for the line up.

Coachella is an addiction.

Too true - well said! lol

kingsleyk
01-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Do the tickets sell out fast? I know with Reading Festival here they're gone after about one day of being available. I should be able to get them when they go on sale anyway but just wondering.

nil_by_mouth
01-19-2010, 11:14 PM
You'll be fine - IF it even sells out, it won't be until April. Unless they start adding some amazing bands to the bill. I may be wrong, but I would be surprised if this lineup sells out without some majot draws being added. It won't be a Reading-type bun fight. Or even a Glastonbury for that matter.

Not sure if you've already done so, but to save some hassle if you plan to get it on Friday, it may be worth registering your details on ticketmaster.com so you can long into your account and not have to fiddle around with entering payment details. It also gives you a chance to sort out any headaches with international payments if their system wants to be fussy. I doubt it will be, but it's easier to do it before the stampede on their servers.

kingsleyk
01-19-2010, 11:20 PM
You'll be fine - IF it even sells out, it won't be until April. Unless they start adding some amazing bands to the bill. I may be wrong, but I would be surprised if this lineup sells out without some majot draws being added. It won't be a Reading-type bun fight. Or even a Glastonbury for that matter.

Not sure if you've already done so, but to save some hassle if you plan to get it on Friday, it may be worth registering your details on ticketmaster.com so you can long into your account and not have to fiddle around with entering payment details. It also gives you a chance to sort out any headaches with international payments if their system wants to be fussy. I doubt it will be, but it's easier to do it before the stampede on their servers.

Ah sweet, I've never used ticketmaster but I didn't think of anything like that. Very helpful, cheers!

Reading tickets are such a pain, the line up of Coachella this year is very similar to Reading last year, but that's actually a good thing.

nil_by_mouth
01-20-2010, 12:55 AM
No worries - I hope it all goes smoothly, I'm sure it will.

As for Reading comparisons...that's about as similar as the two festivals get! lol

kingsleyk
01-20-2010, 04:27 AM
Also, am I right in thinking I won't need to save AS much money because of the exchange rate?

I still aim to save like 300-400 for spending

amy2705
01-20-2010, 07:14 AM
Depends how long your going over for i end up there for about 2 weeks burning cash in Vegas. If your there for just the weekend then thats more than enough. And try and carpool could save you a lot of money.

Plus dont worry about the tickets the year Rage played i think it took about a week for tickets the sell out so you should have a few days.

This maybe wrong its just what i have read on here.

lexineffect
01-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Also, am I right in thinking I won't need to save AS much money because of the exchange rate?

I still aim to save like 300-400 for spending

Roughly I think a beer will be $8 which will work out to be almost 5. Does that put it in perspective?

Aurgasm
01-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Beers are 7 bucks. You can always bring some into your camp too. much cheaper

300-400 quid for spending alone??? You're set man. Make sure you have at least $150 for incidentals. I party with a group from Liverpool every year and they always end up missing a bus or having to spend an extra night in a hotel. there are quite a few UK-based/UK-transplant board members here. i'd recommend asking 'sonofhal' a few questions. He's in the know.

Aurgasm
01-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Depends how long your going over for i end up there for about 2 weeks burning cash in Vegas. If your there for just the weekend then thats more than enough. And try and carpool could save you a lot of money.

Plus dont worry about the tickets the year Rage played i think it took about a week for tickets the sell out so you should have a few days.

This maybe wrong its just what i have read on here.

Dont worry at all abut tickets. They dont even go on sale till friday and they will not sell out. Single day ticks might but 3day passes are plenty available. Plus people always bow out and send their friends with their tickets to sell at the grounds. that plus scalpers...you're set.

kingsleyk
01-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Ah well I'm only 20 (well I will be by then) so beer isn't gonna be draining my money! I worked out a fair bit today and I should be able to afford it all no problem! Stoked.

nil_by_mouth
01-20-2010, 02:54 PM
I was about to make a point about US Immigration possibly asking you about funds when you arrive.....but then remembered you're a US Citizen. Never mind that one! lol

300-400 is ample if you're only here for the festival. As has been pointed out, the travel down from LA may well be the biggest expense.

kingsleyk
01-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Well thanks for the help everyone!

I will try and find a carpool to the festival, I have no idea where I'd book a taxi or whatever down to Coachella from LA.

nil_by_mouth
01-21-2010, 12:07 AM
Should be easy enough to work something out via the board to work out a carpool.