PDA

View Full Version : Real Estate?

elChurro
01-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Anyone have an opinion on these guys? I like the sound of the fake blues demo I found, just not sure if the whole thing is worth purchasing.

guedita
01-13-2010, 01:05 PM
It's a good, chill album...I've listened to it a lot actually, and there aren't tracks that jump out for me, but the whole thing runs together pretty smoothly, nice jams...

kitt kat
01-13-2010, 01:07 PM
It's all pretty mEHHHHH

sonofhal
01-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Easily one of my favourite albums from last year.

AlecEiffel
01-13-2010, 01:11 PM
I saw them at a festival in july and I really didn't care for them, I thought it was pretty boring and the set felt endless.

guedita
01-13-2010, 01:14 PM
If you aren't into the low-fi jam band style then it's probably not for you.

Neutral Milk Hotel
01-13-2010, 01:15 PM
I like them. Their sound reminds me of Yo La Tengo's mellower moments.

PassiveTheory
01-13-2010, 02:08 PM
The self-titled is a fucking revelation. Love this band, can't wait to see them on the Polo Grounds.

guedita
01-13-2010, 02:10 PM
I got their new EP today, but haven't had a chance to listen yet.

PassiveTheory
01-13-2010, 02:31 PM
You'll be surprised if you're expecting a collaborative effort, the EP is mostly solo stuff from the lead dude.

wmgaretjax
01-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Matt Mondanile is obnoxious. Real Estate is much better than Ducktails though...

pancakespancakes
01-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Definitely one of the most outstanding bands of last year for me. They soundtracked my summer... and then their LP ended up soundtracking my fall... it worked out well.

can't wait to see them on the Polo Grounds.

O RLY?

PassiveTheory
01-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Well, when you miss them because your band has a show booked 3 blocks away on the same night, you get what you can, y'know?

kitt kat
01-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Matt Mondanile is obnoxious. Real Estate is much better than Ducktails though...

see, i'm the other way around...

wmgaretjax
01-13-2010, 05:02 PM
shitty looping does not interesting music make.

as a confession though, i've never listened to him on record because he was so awful live.

pancakespancakes
01-13-2010, 08:04 PM
What makes Matt Mondanile so obnoxious? You know the dude personally?

Ducktails is heavenly. Great looping often tends to make great music, as an aside.

pancakespancakes
01-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Well, when you miss them because your band has a show booked 3 blocks away on the same night, you get what you can, y'know?

Wait... are they supposed to play this year? I hadn't heard anything but I sure hope so.

TallGuyCM
01-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Easily one of my favourite albums from last year.

Absolutely.

And nice new avatar, pancakes, what is it?

wmgaretjax
01-13-2010, 08:21 PM
What makes Matt Mondanile so obnoxious? You know the dude personally?

Ducktails is heavenly. Great looping often tends to make great music, as an aside.

Looping is certainly an appropriate tool... But what I saw live was poorly composed and haphazard in an entirely uninteresting way. I could write off most of the licks he played as uninteresting, but that's beside the point. They were pieced together so poorly that they weren't worth evaluating in the first place. That said... I'll give his record(s) a proper listen.

His whole stage presence was dickish in the first place, and then a conversation with him that I had afterwords solidified the bummer, Too cool attitude he had. The dude from Tarantel's reaction to the conversation we were having was priceless (he just grunted and walked away in the middle of Matt' sentence). I probably would have joined him, but I initiated the conversation and am too polite.

pancakespancakes
01-13-2010, 08:42 PM
You really should. I know the Acres of Shade EP is up your alley. Sonic bliss. Landscapes, maybe not so much, but it has some really lovely tracks on it.

I meant to say, though, Ducktails really does not involve loops extensively on his albums, save for a few tracks. His live show was very different. When I saw him, it was primarily playing with loops as well, and I agree that it was pretty amateurly performed.

elChurro
01-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Wait... are they supposed to play this year? I hadn't heard anything but I sure hope so.

The lineup thread says something about sunny day real estate, might be some confusion.

wmgaretjax
01-15-2010, 09:39 AM
if you like this band. their EP is now available on vinyl at mexican summer. i doubt it will last that long. mexican summer stuff always ends up being pretty hot.

johnnypolite
01-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Good band. I've been listening to them and Surfer Blood lately.