PDA

View Full Version : Advise for Coachella Newbie

Enrique
01-22-2007, 02:46 AM
Like the past couple years I have been saying this is the year I will finally make it out. What advice, tips and tricks do you have for this newbie? Thanks

Alchemy
01-22-2007, 04:25 AM
1. Sun light kills them
2. Don't let them touch water

and

3. Never, ever, let them eat after midnight

full on idle
01-22-2007, 05:20 AM
Happy Birthday Enrique

Robosexual
01-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Have someone carry you, unless you like that god-awful throbbing pain in your feet.

scoop49er
01-23-2007, 07:08 AM
WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES!! :)

C DUB YA
01-23-2007, 07:47 AM
http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573

boardpass
01-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Why do some of you bother with that stupid riff raff.

Anyways, my experience was poor about 5 years ago, maybe it's changed.

1. Hot as shit, charged out the ass for water, and it eventually ran out.
2. Lot of sit-around time when you're not into a band who's playing.
3. A 3-day festival and they try to tell you no re-entry! Come on, ended up jumping the fence and running through. No way can you sit in there for an entire day, that's just crazy.
4. Nothing to do there or neighboring towns, smack dab in the middle of desert.
5. Bring lots of money for some killer artwork by random crazy people. it's great.
6. Unfriendly Security who don't give a fuck about the individual.
7. Felt very cattle like. Hearded around to food, water, and stages. Locked in. What I'm trying to say is, you had better like a lot of the bands make this trek.

tiffdud41
01-24-2007, 11:24 AM
boardpass is just being a downer, don't listen to 'im. coachella is fun, fun, fun.

asancho
01-24-2007, 12:36 PM
My first coachella as well! Soo stoked, but some tips besides the general FAQ would definetly be appreciated...

Jonny the friendly lawyer
01-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Newbie(s), I would keep these thoughts in mind:

1. Spend some time memorizing where you parked, noting any particular landmarks or reference points you can find in the dark. The parking lots are enormous, unlit, and completely without signage. Last year there were enormous balloons with numbers on them floating over the lots: they were totally invisible after the sun went down. Also, it appeared no staff was anywhere near the lots. Your good time will be ruined if you have to spend 2-3 hours getting out of there after an exhausting day.

2. Bring a lot of money for water and food. Nothing is cheap, and you need to drink water all day to survive the heat.

3. Bring a couple of layers of light clothing, or something that you can make a pillow out of. It's hot as hell during the day, but there is a lot of sitting/lying down waiting, and it's nice to have something to lie on. There are shade tents; make use of them.

4. Understand in advance that some bands you like will be scheduled at the same time; it is not possible to see everyone that is listed on the same day. You will be very disappointed if you arrive expecting to see everyone performing that day.

5. Stake out a spot for a popular band that you really want to see. The fields are flat, not sloped (they are polo fields, after all). This means if you're short you're not going to see anything. Figure out where the band you most want to see is playing, and get there well ahead of time. Otherwise, you will be a mile from the stage and will have to watch the show on the tv screens.

6. Everything people say about the heat is true. Hats, light clothes, comfortable shoes and drinking water are essential. Coachella is 1/3 music, 1/3 a fun experience, and 1/3 survival.

7. Be patient and considerate and it will come back to you. -- J

FakePlasticMe
01-24-2007, 08:17 PM

3. A 3-day festival and they try to tell you no re-entry! Come on, ended up jumping the fence and running through. No way can you sit in there for an entire day, that's just crazy.
5. Bring lots of money for some killer artwork by random crazy people. it's great.
7. Felt very cattle like. Hearded around to food, water, and stages. Locked in. What I'm trying to say is, you had better like a lot of the bands make this trek.

Damn. I'm sorry about your experiences, but I have to say, mine were the total opposite. I went in 2004 and 2005 and came across friendly security, affordable water (2 bucks) and didn't have much sit down time (unless I was dying of heat stroke). I didn't feel locked in, just felt like I spent a day out, only to return to a bunch of sunburned drunk and/or high enthusiastic campers relaying their days vastly different experiences over more booze, singalongs and lots and lots of sleep.

My only advise is a lot of sunscreen and water throughout the day. Try to sit in the shade whenever you can, and don't see a ton of bands in the tents during the daytime if possible (it is ungodly hot and uncomfortable in there, no air).

C DUB YA
01-24-2007, 10:38 PM
it is bad in the tents - people just sit there and drip.

falcowalczyk
01-25-2007, 08:01 AM
Bring dollars for beers... 7 o 8 dlls for a plastic cup.

FakePlasticMe
01-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Bring dollars for beers... 7 o 8 dlls for a plastic cup.

Yeah, if you're an idiot that pays for alcohol there.

crazzz2007
01-28-2007, 03:47 AM
Newbie(s), I would keep these thoughts in mind:

1. Spend some time memorizing where you parked, noting any particular landmarks or reference points you can find in the dark. The parking lots are enormous, unlit, and completely without signage. Last year there were enormous balloons with numbers on them floating over the lots: they were totally invisible after the sun went down. Also, it appeared no staff was anywhere near the lots. Your good time will be ruined if you have to spend 2-3 hours getting out of there after an exhausting day.

2. Bring a lot of money for water and food. Nothing is cheap, and you need to drink water all day to survive the heat.

3. Bring a couple of layers of light clothing, or something that you can make a pillow out of. It's hot as hell during the day, but there is a lot of sitting/lying down waiting, and it's nice to have something to lie on. There are shade tents; make use of them.

4. Understand in advance that some bands you like will be scheduled at the same time; it is not possible to see everyone that is listed on the same day. You will be very disappointed if you arrive expecting to see everyone performing that day.

5. Stake out a spot for a popular band that you really want to see. The fields are flat, not sloped (they are polo fields, after all). This means if you're short you're not going to see anything. Figure out where the band you most want to see is playing, and get there well ahead of time. Otherwise, you will be a mile from the stage and will have to watch the show on the tv screens.

6. Everything people say about the heat is true. Hats, light clothes, comfortable shoes and drinking water are essential. Coachella is 1/3 music, 1/3 a fun experience, and 1/3 survival.

7. Be patient and considerate and it will come back to you. -- J

1/3 survival? it's coachella, not vietnam.

woogie846
01-28-2007, 03:52 PM

About #3, apparently you can sit in there the entire day. There is no point in leaving. It is a huge space to find a place to chill or just hang out.

vinylmartyr
01-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Don't forget about chafing. Chafing sucks.

Courtney
01-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Don't forget about chafing. Chafing sucks.

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/30/9d/Gold_Bond_Triple_Action_Medicated_Body_Powder-resized200.jpg

farmer dan
01-28-2007, 05:36 PM
first time as well. I've already got the ganj smuggling planned out, but how would I go about bringing in alcohol. I could wash out a sunblock bottle and fill it with tequila. any other ideas?

frijolesdelaolla
01-28-2007, 11:54 PM
Only been there once and the things i learned are:

1.program your pissing, it sucks to be in the middle of a great set and feel like your bladder is about to blow.

2.eat light before the show or you will get the shits by the time the major acts are starting and also consider that by then, all the port-a-potties will be basically a pool of piss, not the best place to take a dump.

3.sunblock, sneakers, a hat and sunglasses are crucial.

vinylmartyr
01-29-2007, 12:06 AM
thats pretty much right on.

amyzzz
01-29-2007, 10:52 AM
it is bad in the tents - people just sit there and drip.

Bring a tiny portable fan that you can wear around your neck. We brought a couple cheap ones and were able to bring them in. It helps with the heat.

bartelby
01-29-2007, 11:28 AM
first time as well. I've already got the ganj smuggling planned out, but how would I go about bringing in alcohol. I could wash out a sunblock bottle and fill it with tequila. any other ideas?

no one ever grabs at your junk - whatever you can fit under your nutsack/between your cheeks is getting in...

thinnerair
01-29-2007, 11:32 AM
why anyone would want to get silly drunk off tequila in 100+ degree weather is absurd.

farmer dan
01-29-2007, 01:58 PM
why anyone would want to get silly drunk off tequila in 100+ degree weather is absurd.

well obviously not in the day time or evening during the shows, thats for the greenery. but I wouldn't mind having somethin' to swig on at night

McPussyHammer
01-29-2007, 10:45 PM
The first year I went ('04) I brought a bunch of cash for booze, but after sitting in the sun for four hours I had no desire to drink anything but water. Really all you need is money for food and merch, a backpack to cary stuff in, comfortable shoes, and the foreknowledge that its going to be crazy hot.

ayla123
01-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Haven't been to Coachella before, but have been to PLENTY of festivals. One thing that you should at least pack in your general belongings, if not bring with you during the day, is bandage tape for blisters! If you insist on wearing sandals, or otherwise don't have good shoes, your feet will be mighty thankful for a couple of patches of good medical tape, and you'll be good to go!

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/175248/2/istockphoto_175248_medical_tape.jpg

york707
01-30-2007, 08:25 AM
If you're a chick or someone that plans on pooping at the festival, a small amount of TP or kleenex might be a good idea in case the portapotty is out.

farmer dan
01-30-2007, 01:34 PM
ooh, fa sho. alcoholics are gonna have the mad shits after drinkin' beer all night and wakin' up in the heat. I can only imagine the putrid stinch flowing from the portapotties by friday evening

kimery08
02-01-2007, 01:02 PM
take a towel. either to wipe your sweaty face or wet to cool you down.

DodgerBlues
02-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Yeah, if you're an idiot that pays for alcohol there.

its about having a good time, hippie. Thats how much you pay at Dodgers Stadium and any other sporting event. Unless you're broke and live in mommies basement, then $7 beer is not for you. If you have a job and dont mind spending a little extra to add to the experience, its totally ok and good for you for being able to budget.

DodgerBlues
02-03-2007, 01:05 PM
1. Take 2 immodium pills if youre gonna be there for only 1 or 2 days. You wont shit til you get home sunday or monday morning.

2. Take some tissues or tp.

3. Take chapstick

4. Dress accordingly and glasses and big light hats arent a bad idea.

Looks like they caught on to the camelpacs that hold 2 liters of water...damn!! i was gonna take my camelpac.

~fab81~
02-12-2007, 01:36 AM
this is such a great thread!

im so excited to go... ive been to a bunch of festivals here in the uk, and i always found that a lil pack of baby wipes are a great accessory to have.

i think the major difference will be the heat...*packs factor 1billion suncream* my stupid fair freckly skin is gonna get frieeeed!

xxfxx

Adam2uBer
02-12-2007, 11:25 PM
take a towel. either to wipe your sweaty face or wet to cool you down.
Or wipe your ass.

dylanfan
02-13-2007, 09:09 AM
good thread

this no liquor thing is goona be tough

drink at home before I come I guess. How about camelbacks, do people bring them there?

trowa888
02-13-2007, 09:10 AM
it said they're not allowed

Fixer808
02-13-2007, 11:41 AM
"No camlepacks allowed"
"Dude, wanna stop pressing on my giant cyst?......sucker...."

Anyway, I have to say that not only is it crazy hot during the day, but since you're out in the desert, it can get pretty COLD at night, so if you bring a backpack in, make sure you put a hoodie or something in there as well as your daytime survival gear.

I would try to sneak in a camelpack filled with Jack and soda... just sayin', is all

br0licNYC
02-15-2007, 04:04 PM
geez its that hott huh???

aunt ruckus
02-15-2007, 04:17 PM
whats cab fare like out there?

roscoemule
02-16-2007, 06:41 AM
Everyone talks about the heat, but it's not that bad...unless you just plant yourself at 1 outdoor stage all day long. The sun CAN zap you hard between 3-4:30. I cooked at Wolf Parade last year. The sun felt like it was beaming through a magnifying glass right on the back of my neck. After that set, it started to cool down as the sun sets. Then it feels sooooooooo good. The sunsets are AMAZING!

There are plenty of shady places all around the grounds. Take advantage of them. There are some pretty sweet domes you can take refuge in. The snow themed pirate ship dome was cool (literally and figuratively) as hell (not literally).

york707
02-16-2007, 07:19 AM
Wolf Parade played in a tent.

Brenbren
02-16-2007, 09:40 AM
this thread scares me.

roscoemule
02-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Wolf Parade played in a tent.

And I was at the back of it as the sun was going down. Your point?

york707
02-16-2007, 12:35 PM
I guess I didn't realize the crowd went back that far for their set.

Tylerdurden31
02-16-2007, 12:48 PM
First off...being in a tent isn't so bad if you're not all the way up front. the sides are good. Better than being out in the sun.

Feel free to not wear a shirt...no matter how hairy you are. I did...

Did anyone see my gorilla chest?

SFChrissy
02-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Here's a tip...don't be so damn lazy by starting a new thread asking for tips...read through and you'll find all the answers you need!!!

I can't believe you rookies think that the weekend isn't 'bout working your ass off for the love of music!!! pff

Talk 'bout reruns...

SneakySneak
02-22-2007, 09:23 PM
1. Apply and re-apply sunblock throughout the day.
2. Drink heaps of water.
3. Bring earplugs so you can sleep at night when everyone on E is still banging away on their hippy drums til 6 in the morning..
4. Rinse and Repeat.

ohutah
02-22-2007, 10:06 PM
My first coachella as well! Soo stoked, but some tips besides the general FAQ would definetly be appreciated...

BUY WATERPROOF SUNSCREEN!! My boyfriend at the time purchased regular sunscreen because it was a couple of cents cheaper and his sweat made it run into his eyes. We ended up buying several bottles of water to rinse his eyes out and had to listen to how much it burned for the rest of the day.

PassiveTheory
02-22-2007, 10:07 PM
I just have a question as a general music fan... Where the hell are you going to keep all this stuff on you during the show? I'm counting a towel/moist towlettes, a water bottle, sunblock, earplugs, and sunglasses as material to bring INTO the festival grounds (or at least get a water bottle upon entering). So basically, my question is, won't that stuff get thrashed in your pockets in the midst of a crazy performance? How would you carry it around with you?

Benis23
02-22-2007, 10:13 PM
i am a huge fan of a lot of these bands, but have never made it out to coachella. i have to say, though, that after hearing these descriptions of the ungodly heat, horrible sunburns, expensive water and food, the pain of all the travelling, scheduling conflicts, huge crowds, and the $800 or so that the whole weekend costs, i am pretty surprised that the festival sold out as fast as it did.

boarderwoozel3
02-24-2007, 12:43 PM
i am a huge fan of a lot of these bands, but have never made it out to coachella. i have to say, though, that after hearing these descriptions of the ungodly heat, horrible sunburns, expensive water and food, the pain of all the travelling, scheduling conflicts, huge crowds, and the $800 or so that the whole weekend costs, i am pretty surprised that the festival sold out as fast as it did.

:yyablo

wanmonei
02-24-2007, 02:39 PM

Mmm... :nono

ryan97ou
02-27-2007, 01:11 PM
3. Bring earplugs so you can sleep at night when everyone on E is still banging away on their hippy drums til 6 in the morning...

this is HUGE. i could have killed those people at the campgrounds last year.

SmokesQuantity
02-27-2007, 02:04 PM
I just have a question as a general music fan... Where the hell are you going to keep all this stuff on you during the show? I'm counting a towel/moist towlettes, a water bottle, sunblock, earplugs, and sunglasses as material to bring INTO the festival grounds (or at least get a water bottle upon entering). So basically, my question is, won't that stuff get thrashed in your pockets in the midst of a crazy performance? How would you carry it around with you?

You just bring a backpack. And it's not like you have to carry 10 water bottles at all times. Buy 1 or 2 at a time and throw them away when you are done. I bring a bag every year and it ends up weighing like 10lbs max. I carry earplugs, sunblock, hand sanitizer, sunglasses, small towel and (sometimes) a light sweatshirt inside. For many performances you can just set the bag on the ground right next to you and not have to worry about it. It's not a mountain expedition, you will do fine.

boarderwoozel3
02-27-2007, 03:00 PM
Cargo shorts. At festivals I always wear those shorts with extra pockets around the outher thigh. More pockets= good.

kimery08
02-27-2007, 03:02 PM
theres a rumor going around, i dont know if youve heard anything about it.
something about swamp ass.

be careful out there.

smoke
02-28-2007, 09:45 PM
make sure you check out the art insallations during the day, and again at night.

at coachella...things start to change when the sun goes down...

E,iloo
03-03-2007, 09:23 PM
"theres a rumor going around, i dont know if youve heard anything about it.
something about swamp ass."

Oh god, I didn't even think of that. I'll need a fan just for my butt.

C DUB YA
03-03-2007, 10:47 PM
cargo shorts are much better than a backpack - you'll thank me later.

Dickinabox
03-06-2007, 11:17 PM
cargo shorts are much better than a backpack - you'll thank me later.

Not if you have the btich of the group carry around everyone's stuff in his backpack ::thu