PDA

View Full Version : Swans are not dead

orbit
01-09-2010, 04:46 PM
COMING SOON, NEW SWANS ALBUM AND TOUR(S)
The song “Jim” recently added to the playlist is an acoustic demo (solo at home)
recording by michael gira. this, and many other new songs recorded in the same way comprise many of the new (rough versions) of songs under consideration,
to be fleshed out on the coming new swans album. a cd of these acoustic versions, as well as a live (2 shows) dvd of m.gira will be for sale very soon as a hand made (by gira) package called I Am Not Insane (CD/DVD). this package – in a limited edition of 1000 - will be sold in order to raise money for the swans recordings/offset the huge costs involved... check back here or at http://younggodrecords.com for ordering details and more information...coming soon...coming soon...

principal players on the swans album are (and there will be many special guests):

Michael Gira / gtr / voice / mendicant friar act (original swans)

Norman Westberg – Guitar (original swans)

Christophj Hahn – Guitar (mid period swans and most angels)

Phil Puleo – Drums, percussion, dulcimer etc etc (final swans tour and most angels)

Chris Pravdica – Bass and gadgets (flux information sciences / services/ gunga din)

Thor Harris, Drums, percussion, vibes, dulcimer, curios, etc etc... (angels, now also with shearwater)

Angels Of Light is temporarily on hold while gira pursues his “new” project...

http://www.myspace.com/swansaredead

fuck yes.

SoulDischarge
01-09-2010, 04:48 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I love you.

stinkbutt
01-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Holy motherfuckin hell yeah

Still-ill
01-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Huge.

jazzz
01-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Fuck yes!!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Fuck I thought Faust would be this year's Throbbing Gristle. Good times though.

mountmccabe
01-09-2010, 10:52 PM
I am so glad that this is actually happening

Fourthisto
01-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Wow, I don't believe this is actually true! Awesome news, thanks!

TallGuyCM
01-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Have never gotten into Swans. What albums would you guys recommend?

Mickjagger00
01-09-2010, 11:30 PM
just what we need in 2010

SoulDischarge
01-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Have never gotten into Swans. What albums would you guys recommend?

Start with Children Of God, The Great Annihilator, and if you're feeling adventurous, Soundtracks For The Blind. Those are their masterpieces. Fuck this is exciting.

SoulDischarge
01-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Fuck I thought Faust would be this year's Throbbing Gristle. Good times though.

Could be. I'd like another chance at them since I missed half their set when I saw them.

TallGuyCM
01-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Start with Children Of God, The Great Annihilator, and if you're feeling adventurous, Soundtracks For The Blind. Those are their masterpieces. Fuck this is exciting.

Many thanks!

bmack86
01-10-2010, 12:33 AM

No Cop?

SoulDischarge
01-10-2010, 12:35 AM
Their early stuff is kind of hard to recommend to people unfamiliar with the band. It's just so bleak. And I prefer Filth over anything else before Children Of God.

TallGuyCM
01-10-2010, 12:35 AM
No Cop?

I'll check it out as well.

Theijuiel
01-10-2010, 01:36 AM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/rde0198l.jpg

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-10-2010, 05:35 AM
Could be. I'd like another chance at them since I missed half their set when I saw them.

how was it btw and why only half?

SoulDischarge
01-10-2010, 11:16 AM
I was kind of bitter for the first few songs about missing half of it (it was at some performance space at a school, so instead of the ticket listing the doors open time, it listed the time the band went on) to really enjoy it, but I finally chilled out and it was pretty amazing. They played some classics from the first four albums and a few more improv type things. "It's A Rainy Day, Sunshine Girl" was the encore.

bmack86
01-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Fuck, I thought they only played new stuff. I really need to see Faust now.

kitt kat
01-10-2010, 02:13 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dorkfish
01-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Start packing our earplugs for ATP NY 2010?

paulthomasanderson
01-10-2010, 06:51 PM

This better come true...

wmgaretjax
01-10-2010, 07:26 PM

oh dear god. can you imagine a Swans curated event... fuck me sideways... there is no way something that incredible could happen.

stinkbutt
01-10-2010, 07:29 PM
I think I predicted something like that god I hope I'm right for once. At least just let them be there

mountmccabe
01-10-2010, 09:10 PM
The sex in your soul will damn you to hell

menikmati
01-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Late addition to Coachella!

paulthomasanderson
01-10-2010, 11:43 PM

I could actually picture this as a possibility if GV jumped at the chance. I prayed this would happen. Those early records are so nostalgic for me.

Weatherman
01-11-2010, 02:09 AM
FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I could see Swans as a possibilty, since so many Young God bands have played at Coachella before. Maybe not this year, but who knows.

paulthomasanderson
01-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Out today:

Frontman Michael Gira is financing the new album with sales of I Am Not Insane, a limited edition CD/DVD package, which features demos of songs that might make their way onto the Swans album.

Gira is now selling I Am Not Insane on the website for his label, Young God Records, and he's making it available for a number of different pricing tiers. For $100 or more, you get to be listed as an executive producer on the Swans album.

Yup, for the rest of your life, you'd get to list "Swans executive producer" on your resume, which would be pretty cool. All the details on I Am Not Insane and its different pricing tiers are here.

For those of you more interested, the full statement is posted below with a video that's included in this limited CD/DVD package:

This handmade CD/DVD package is being sold specifically to help raise funds for/help defray the considerable costs of recording and promoting the upcoming new Swans album (more on the reactivation of Swans below).

Most of the songs on this CD were recorded by me at home using an Audio-Technica AT 825 stereo microphone, sitting at my desk in my office. There were no overdubs. The first 11 songs on the CD are rough versions of some of the songs (not all) under consideration for the new Swans album (hopefully due Fall 2010). There’s a few extra songs here on the CD - “Promise Of Water” and “Failure”, and they were recorded by Jason La Farge at Seizure’s Palace Recording, Brooklyn NY.

The songs are here in their raw state, as I present them to the band. I have a concept in mind of how each one should sound ultimately, but I’m sure that as usual, once I begin working with my cohorts, things will change considerably from the initial plan, and for the better. I haven’t been as excited (and I admit, intimidated) by a project in years. Let’s hope that whatever beast is created in the process rears itself up on its’ hind legs, swipes furiously at the sky with its’ claws, then bends down and rips my head off with its’ razor teeth. That would make me very happy.

Here’s the Track Listing to the CD (you can listen to some streams elsewhere on this page): 1. Jim 2. No Words / No Thoughts 3. Reeling The Liars In 4. My Birth 5. Little Mouth 6. Eden Prison (That Way) 7. Eden Prison (This Way) 8. My Lazy Clown 9. Opium Song 10. Inside Madeline 11. Oxygen 12. Promise Of Water 13. Failure

Here’s what’s on the DVD:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bsFBtPchy5Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bsFBtPchy5Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Frankie Macias came to my house in the Catskill area and filmed me talking in my office and singing a few songs. He also filmed a solo show of mine at The Highline Ballroom in NYC. I spray spit, I scream, I shake.

Track Listing Highline Ballroom Show: 1. I Am The Sun 2. Promise of Water 3. Nations 4. Failure 5. Lena’s Song 6. My Brother’s Man 7. Destroyer 8. She Lives! 9. My Sister Said 10. Sometimes I Dream I’m Hurting You 11. Rose Of Los Angeles

Trevor Grace and D. Fisher filmed my solo show at The Drake Underground in Toronto. I embarrass myself and lamely insult the audience, and put on a good show. James Blackshaw guests on one song.

Track Listing Drake Underground Show: 1. Little Mouth 2. On The Mountain (Looking Down) 3. Promise Of Water 4. Reeling The Liars In 5. My Brother’s Man 6. The Surrogate 7. Destroyer 8. Oxygen 9. Inside Madeline 10. Eden Prison 11. Sometimes I Dream I’m Hurting You

Please do not upload any of the material contained in this package onto the web or “share” it all over the god damn place.

About reconstituting Swans:

As I mentioned in a previous newsletter, there was a point a few years ago during a particular show when I was on tour with Angels Of Light, with Akron/Family serving as the backing band. It was during the song The Provider. Seth’s guitar was sustaining one open chord (very loudly), rising to a peak, then crashing down again in a rhythm that could have been the equivalent of a deep and soulful act of copulation. The whole band swayed with this arc. Really was like riding waves of sound. I thought right then, “You know, Michael, Swans wasn’t so bad after all...” . Ha ha! It brought back – in a flood – memories, or maybe not memories, more a tangible re-emersion in the sensation of Swans music rushing through my body in waves, lifting me up towards what, I can only assume, will be my only experience of heaven. It’s difficult – and probably pointless – to try to describe this experience. It’s ecstatic, I suppose – a force of simultaneous self negation and rebirth. Really, I probably only experienced this a handful of times to such an extreme extent during the entire 15 year history of Swans. All the elements have to align perfectly, and you can’t force it, though you might constantly strive for it. I don’t mean to be too lofty here, but it’s a fact. I’m talking about my own experience of the music (though I’d hope people in the audiences along the way might have experienced a similar episode). When I ask myself if I believe in God, I start to say NO, but then I remember that sensation, and I’m not so sure. So I want more of that, before my body breaks down to such an extent that it won’t be possible any more. So I’m doing it.

Naturally, some of the material for this new record will be songs, centered around the voice and words. Other parts (I’m hoping) will be reaching for what I’ve described above. One thing I want to point out right now: THIS IS NOT A REUNION. It’s not some dumb-ass nostalgia act. It is not repeating the past. After 5 Angels Of Light albums, I needed a way to move FORWARD, in a new direction, and it just so happens that revivifying the idea of Swans is allowing me to do that. I’ll be using what I learned in the last several years to inform the way this new material develops, while carrying forward from where Swans left off with its final album Soundtracks For The Blind, and in particular, Swans Are Dead. If you have expectations about how Swans should be, that’s your business, but it would be a disservice to both of us if I were to make music with your needs in mind, and the music would certainly suffer as a result. In any event, I certainly never thought this day would arrive, but it’s inevitable, it’s here, it’s fate, so I’m succumbing to it.

Helping me in this quest are the fantastic musicians and friends listed below. I’ll enter the studio with the songs, we’ll hash them out together, someone will come up with something unexpected, then that will lead to new ideas, the song will take a different trajectory and the material will grow on its’ own. This is what I’m hoping, anyway.

Link: http://younggodrecords.com/Releases/Detail.asp?C=2326

Link to the process of creating the artwork: http://younggodrecords.com/Artists/MichaelGira/IAmNotInsane/I-Am-Not-Insane-Details.asp

kroqken
01-21-2010, 05:28 PM

I wholeheartedly agree. THey could replace Coheed and Cambria and no one (with any musical taste) would notice.

psycobetabuckdown
05-10-2010, 01:31 PM
no west coast...

http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/05/10/swans-return-for-fall-tour/
09/28 – Philadelphia, PA @ Trocadero *
09/29 – Washington, DC @ The Black Cat *
09/30 – Boston, MA @ Middle East *
10/01 – Montreal, QC @ Pop Montreal
10/02 – Toronto, ON @ Lee’s Palace *
10/04 – Pontiac, MI @ The Crofoot Ballroom *
10/05 – Chicago, IL @ Bottom Lounge *
10/08 – Brooklyn, NY @ Brooklyn Masonic Temple *
10/09 – New York, NY @ Bowery Ballroom *
10/22-24 – Birmingham, UK @ Supersonic Festival

stinkbutt
05-10-2010, 01:58 PM
I guess I'm going to Chicago in October. Patrick you want to meet up for a beer then?

betao
05-10-2010, 03:51 PM
cool. Will look into that DC date.

CellarOwl
05-11-2010, 05:18 AM
No way I'm missing this.

SoulDischarge
05-12-2010, 04:11 PM
SWANS IN CHICAGO

SoulDischarge
05-15-2010, 12:46 AM
Sure, I'm just being obnoxious now, but, SWANS ARE REUNITING AND PLAYING THE CITY I LIVE IN. Imagine how you faggots would feel if the Smiths reunited.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Sure, I'm just being obnoxious now, but, SWANS ARE REUNITING AND PLAYING THE CITY I LIVE IN. Imagine how you faggots would feel if the Smiths reunited.

You shut your mouth! How can you say?

bmack86
05-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah, go fuck yoself. But I'm really jealous, and happy for you because you'd appreciate that show.

Also, it let you type ******. Unless you were doing the whole tricky thing. Mesmerizing

SoulDischarge
05-15-2010, 10:42 AM
It's different when we call each other it.

GaragePoet
05-15-2010, 02:13 PM
pluralizing the word seems to help

SoulDischarge
05-15-2010, 02:14 PM
It really does.

dorkfish
07-30-2010, 04:30 PM
YES

http://soundcloud.com/thequietus/07-eden-prison

gaypalmsprings
07-30-2010, 04:43 PM
http://forum.huntinginmalta.org.mt/Attachments/8DeadSwans600.jpg

Devin the Dude
07-30-2010, 05:02 PM
I don't get it. This band is god-awful.

SoulDischarge
07-30-2010, 06:25 PM
You're godawful. Get raped by a cthulu.

PotVsKtl
07-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Do it.

mountmccabe
07-30-2010, 06:36 PM
This song is awesome.

PotVsKtl
07-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Yeah. Yeah.

SoulDischarge
07-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Starts off a lot harsher than most of the stuff they did in the 90s. I'm not sure Michael Gira is capable of creating terrible music.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Once again, one of these bands that you guys are all nuts over and I've never listened to, and now hear a new song and I fucking love it and there are like 10 albums and 10 eps of material to go through.

buddy
07-30-2010, 06:49 PM
agreed great song

SoulDischarge
07-30-2010, 06:49 PM
I wrote up a half finished young'uns guide, but the truncated version is: Filth, Children Of God, The Great Annihilator, and Soundtracks For The Blind. The first and the last should probably wait until you're well acquainted with the middle two.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-30-2010, 06:53 PM
I wrote up a half finished young'uns guide, but the truncated version is: Filth, Children Of God, The Great Annihilator, and Soundtracks For The Blind. The first and the last should probably wait until you're well acquainted with the middle two.

You're so good to me.

SoulDischarge
07-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Also, the filler music before Modest Mouse at Pitchfork was "Children Of God" followed by Johnny Cash's cover of "The Mercy Seat." Fucking awesome. Here's some choice Swans cuts:

B-J1HOi-CZI

-bCUZX6g8BM

bcaLabqWH94

AGooIqT2O5c

schoolofruckus
07-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Like Drinky, this is my first experience with Swans. "Children of God" is fucking awesome.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Downloading Children of God/World of Skin right now. WIll report later.

roberto73
07-30-2010, 07:18 PM
As you guys acquaint yourself with Swans, be sure to check out Angels of Light. It's what Michael Gira's been doing for the last ten years. I don't like it quite as much, but it's still worth a listen.

Down Rodeo
07-30-2010, 07:39 PM
The whole Children of God album is incredible. That might be my favorite Swans album. Oh yeah, and the new song rocks.

wmgaretjax
07-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Fuck yes.

rage patton
07-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Wow. This song rocks. This is the first time I have ever listened to Swans. Put me in the same boat as Drinkey and Gabe.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-30-2010, 10:58 PM
So, yeah, Children of God is so up my fucking alley right now. How the hell did I never hear that album before? Fuck. "Children of God" into "Swallow You" is especially amazing, but the whole thing from start to finish is great.

stinkbutt
07-30-2010, 11:36 PM
You got the rerelease with World of Skin, right? World of Skin's cover of I Wanna Be Your Dog is amazing

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-30-2010, 11:42 PM
You got the rerelease with World of Skin, right? World of Skin's cover of I Wanna Be Your Dog is amazing

Yeah, listened to a bit of it, but wanted to keep hearing noisy guitars, so I switched to listening to the A Frames for a bit. Will investigate World of Skin soon.

wmgaretjax
07-31-2010, 12:03 AM
the recent AFCGT stuff is incredibile if you like A-Frames. (2 of the A-Frames guys + Climax Golden Twins)

mountmccabe
07-31-2010, 06:37 AM
This is my only regret, that I ever was born

SoulDischarge
07-31-2010, 06:49 AM
Nobody rapes you like a cop.

Down Rodeo
07-31-2010, 08:17 PM
The sex in your soul will damn you to hell.

liquidsnake28
08-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Now people get ready
To receive
The new mind

I didn't know they were coming to Ohio, that just made my day.

SoulDischarge
10-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Swans' set list from opening date of U.S. tour, the Trocadero, Philadelphia, PA 9/28/2010

No Words/No Thoughts (from My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To the Sky)
Your Property (from Cop)
Sex God Sex (from Children Of God)
Jim (from My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To the Sky)
I Crawled (from I Crawled 12")
My Birth (from My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To the Sky)
Beautiful Child (from Children Of God)
Eden Prison (from My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To the Sky)

Seeing them Tuesday. Fucking excited.

alpharuin
10-01-2010, 08:45 AM

Fucking win!

dorkfish
10-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Hour long set?

SoulDischarge
10-01-2010, 08:48 AM
That's what it sounds like. "Beautiful Child" is going to destroy everything in its path.

dorkfish
10-01-2010, 08:50 AM
I Crawled, Beautiful Child and Sex God Sex are pretty awesome selections.

getbetter
10-01-2010, 08:57 AM
I hope in couple more months we find out that the swans are playing in indio

liquidsnake28
10-01-2010, 08:58 AM
I was really hoping for New Mind but I can't complain with that setlist. Looks great.

SoulDischarge
10-01-2010, 09:08 AM
I never knew there was an official video for "New Mind," but damn, it's every bit as weird and dark as you'd expect

yKTixcLm7lg

And yeah, I'd love a few tracks off The Great Annihilator but I can't complain in the least about getting to see them at all.

dorkfish
10-01-2010, 09:12 AM
A decent video from the other night:

_yjIWOHEFak

SoulDischarge
10-02-2010, 10:12 AM
wB441lzbRgA

Cookieman908
10-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Went to their Lee's Palace show tonight. Wow...Better than expected. Jarboe's absence from this album/tour had diminished my expectations for this show somewhat but this has proven to be unfounded.

Swans managed to create a post-apocalyptic feel even before their set began. Let me explain...About a half hour before showtime (11:30) there was this really loud humming sound coming from the speakers. A constant, annoying, loud hum that never shifted in tone. There was nobody at all on stage during this. People around the venue were looking at each other with a WTF look on their face. Turns out this was no sound glitch but a lead in to their set. Typical twisted Swans style. Then the members of the band all came on stage and played about 15mns of instrumental noise, no vocals.

Overall, the set ran 1hr40mns. Heavy on tunes from their latest album. I'm not familiar with their older work, but there was one tune where M. Gira kept yelling "JESUS CHRIST!!!" like some crazed banshee. I imagine that's from the album "Children of God" perhaps?

SD - You might wanna consider bringing earplugs to that Chicago show. I wouldn't say it's an absolute necessity (the way it would be at an MBV club show) but there were quite a few members of the audience wearing them. I survived without them, but my ears are still ringing as I'm typing this, 2 hours after the show. Enjoy!

alpharuin
10-03-2010, 07:00 PM
wXTvsSR5_r0

:thu

LooseAtTheZoo
10-03-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm deciding whether to go see Gorillaz or Swans/Ben Frost this Friday. I'm a much bigger fan of the Gorillaz, but I have seen them before and tickets are wayy expensive.

Still-ill
10-03-2010, 08:31 PM
wXTvsSR5_r0

:thu

Hot Damn.

weeklymix
10-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Selfishly, I hope a showcase at SXSW can convince them to show up.

SoulDischarge
10-03-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm deciding whether to go see Gorillaz or Swans/Ben Frost this Friday. I'm a much bigger fan of the Gorillaz, but I have seen them before and tickets are wayy expensive.

Go just because of the rarity. There's no way it won't be a great show.

wmgaretjax
10-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Ben Frost is pretty interesting live as well. Especially if the sound system is decent.

SoulDischarge
10-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Swans are most certainly not dead. Fucking incredible. Probably will end up being my show of the year, but we'll see how the next 3 months pans out. From what I've read online, they seem to be doing more or less the same show every night so if you have a chance to see them, FUCKING GO DO IT NOW DO NOT HESITATE. But don't read this review if you don't want things spoiled.

So I actually got there when the doors opened for once and met up with my friend and hung around until the opening act went on. I've never seen so many black t-shirts in my life. The opener was a transsexual harpist called Baby Dee. It was kind of interesting and I appreciated what she had going on but I felt kind of bored through most of her set. What I could make out of her lyrics were pretty charming though and she had good stage presence. Still, I came for Swans and that's pretty much all I cared about then and there.

The set start with a humming drone with no one on stage. It went on for maybe 5 minutes before anyone showed up. One of the drummers came on stage and played the bells over the hum, which were very loud. This set the scene perfectly, building up tension and anticipation. Eventually, the full band came on stage and built up a tower of noise that sounded like the approach of some massive menacing force. This eventually evolved into "No Words/No Thoughts." The entire song with the build up and fade out and everything took probably somewhere around 25 minutes. I'd felt like I had already gotten my ticket price's worth but they still had another hour and a half to go.

This is really a new incarnation of Swans. It definitely hearkens back to their harsh early days but it also incorporates elements of everything they've done since. They were just extremely muscular, with a pounding, driving ferocity that can only come from years upon years of practice. Between the bassist and the dual drummers, there was a lean, well oiled rhythm section that really brought the songs to life in unexpected ways. There wasn't much of that unearthly ethereal quality that was a trademark of the Jarboe version of the band, but there also wasn't much of the oppressive dirge approach of their early years. It felt more like they were the world's heaviest post-rock band, with extra emphasis on the rock. Most of the songs would meander off into this gradually building mountains of sound that just shook your entire body. What was especially impressive was how they reworked their older songs to fit their new sound. I wasn't sure how I was going to respond to stuff like "Your Property" and "I Crawled" but they really breathed new life into them and made them feel fresh and vibrant, which is probably the last adjective you'd use to describe the album versions. I think it'd be an exaggeration to say they were funky, but there was a fluid rhythm to them that was miles away from the slam-your-head-against-the-same-wall-for-five-minutes grind of their early approach, while still retaining the intensity of the original versions. Even "Beautiful Child" was drastically reworked to the point of being almost unrecognizable without the vocals, but it still tore through you with the same unrelenting ferociousness. The new material translated even better live than on album (and I really like the album), as the band was able to stretch out and build their wall of sound up to the point where it felt like it was blowing off the top of your skull. The prolonged jam at the end of "Jim" was especially mesmerizing. While there's often the assumption that rock music is best left to the young, tonight Swans tore that notion completely apart. There was such precision on display that you knew they could go anywhere and pull it off and still make it seem spontaneous and unexpected. The band was just so unbelievably tight and in tune with each other that every note just surrounded you like a cavern and everything was just perpetually building and driving forward. Someone somewhere online compared one of their shows last week to Glenn Branca and that's definitely somewhat apt.

Michael Gira was every bit as charismatic and terrifying and hilarious as his reputation makes him out to be. While performing, he would make all kinds of odd gestures with his hand and open his mouth and howl silently. When he sang, his voice dominated the room as well as any of the other instruments, especially during the acapella portions such as the "Praise the Lord! Praise God!" section of "Sex God Sex." He was affable to the audience and thanked them pretty sincerely a couple of times. In between songs early on, some douchebag kept yelling at everyone to move because they were at a rock concert, not a funeral (or alternately, at THE FUCKING SWANS, not Belle & Sebastian), to which Gira asked if he was expecting the old Swans, then telling him to "just die" before finally asking "Do you want me to come down there and suck your cock? Would that make you happy?" Later on, mid-song he got irate with a section of the crowd that was moshing or fighting or something. He mouthed the words "stop it" and "no more" a few times and spit on one of them, all without missing a beat musically. After the song he told people not to "move drunk people around like that" but to "move like an amoeba, not to make to fine of an analogy of it." For the encore, they did a noise jam followed by an acapella version of "Little Mouth" that ended with a silent staredown between Gira and the audience, who was unsure of whether the song had ended or they were just waiting to tear into it again. After an interminable 20-30 seconds, he graciously thanked the audience and left the stage. The whole show was just under two hours and afterwards I felt dazed and disorientated. It was one of those shows that changes your body chemistry for a couple of hours afterwards. Seriously, if they're coming anywhere near you, there's no fucking excuse to miss them. Most especially not for the fucking Gorillaz.

getbetter
10-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Swans for Coachella 2011
Dead Can Dance for 2012

SoulDischarge
10-06-2010, 12:31 AM
I don't really know if that's a good idea. They probably wouldn't have the time to really do their thing there. I'm not exactly against it, but it just doesn't seem like a good fit.

getbetter
10-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Well i would rather have a Swan show than a festival set but i would take what ever i can get.

Cookieman908
10-06-2010, 05:09 AM
SD - Great recap of the show. The Toronto show was pretty much exactly liked you described, except there wasn't any verbal tension between Gira and the crowd. We're known to be a pretty sedate audience up here:)

liquidsnake28
10-06-2010, 05:51 AM
Tonight! I can't fucking wait. Great review Pat.

liquidsnake28
10-07-2010, 07:00 AM
That was incredible. Easily one of the best shows I've seen this year. Those guys are so old and they know so well how to build so much tension, aggression and energy. Gira said to stop the moshing shit, "If you want to do that go see Green Day or some bullshit, you know?" It was at a small club so obviously I was up close. The bass amp blew out once towards the end but they fixed it quickly. Speaking of the bassist, Gira seemed pissed at him throughout the show. I just stood and watched in awe, physically feeling the music. Overall it was a pretty mind blowing experience.

dorkfish
10-29-2010, 01:42 PM
more dates

02/18 – Austin, TX @ Mohawk Austin #
02/19 – Dallas, TX @ South Side Music Hall #
02/22 – Denver, CO @ Summit Music Hall #
02/25 – Vancouver, BC @ Rickshaw Theatre #
02/26 – Seattle, WA @ Neumo’s Crystal Ball Reading Room #
02/27 – Portland, OR @ Roseland Theater #
03/01 – San Francisco, CA @ The Regency Grand Ballroom #
03/02 – Los Angeles, CA @ El Rey #

#Wooden Wand

Probably not Coachella, unless they show up with jet lag
04/14 – Athens, Greece @ Gagarin 205
04/16 – Tilburg, Netherlands @ Roadburn Festival (Main Stage)

SoulDischarge
10-29-2010, 03:38 PM
You assholes better go.

wmgaretjax
10-29-2010, 03:41 PM
i wish it wasn't at the grand. but oh well. gonna be insane either way.

Down Rodeo
10-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Damn, can't wait.

getbetter
10-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Damn, can't wait.

http://www.american-buddha.com/ateamamericafix180f_small.gif

TallGuyCM
10-29-2010, 09:16 PM
This news made my entire week. So happy.

woogie846
11-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Where would be a good place to start with Swans if I don't own any of their albums?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-01-2010, 08:16 PM
this was discussed previously, and the answer definitely seemed to be Children of God, advice i took and I am extremely happy with the album!

alpharuin
11-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Yeah, Children of God. Then, if you like the heavier stuff move backward. If you like the more "song" based stuff, move forward.

Still-ill
11-01-2010, 08:46 PM
NICE, I was hoping this would be at the El Rey.

getbetter
11-01-2010, 08:59 PM
bcaLabqWH94

Sushov23
11-01-2010, 10:03 PM
The show should take a while to sell out right? If it even sells out? I can't spend money on any shows until after the holidays.

getbetter
11-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Just charge it.

Sushov23
11-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Just charge it.

I've put away my two credit cards. I won't be using credit cards unless it's an emergency, or a necessity. Going to a show is neither of the two circumstances, so no go. I just have to hope it doesn't sell out too soon.

TallGuyCM
11-02-2010, 12:50 AM
El Rey show onsale Friday at 10am. $28 before fees.

getbetter
11-02-2010, 01:58 AM
AAAAAAAAAffordable !:thu

alpharuin
11-02-2010, 06:37 PM
ddgVgeDLhio

alpharuin
11-05-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm in for the Mother Fucking El Rey.

mountmccabe
11-05-2010, 09:11 AM
I hope these shows do not sell out. I can't make the El Rey in the middle of the week so the most likely for me seems to be either Seattle on a Saturday (not likely) or maybe a Texas/Colorado date if I am heading East anyway.

Phoenix was too much to hope for, wasn't it.

Cookieman908
11-05-2010, 09:13 AM
I believe that most of the East Coast dates, while well attended, did not necessarily sell out. I can confirm that this was definitely the case with the Toronto date that I attended.

TallGuyCM
11-05-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm in for the Mother Fucking El Rey.

Same.

SoulDischarge
11-05-2010, 11:05 AM
My friend walked up about 20 minutes after doors opened and got one of the last 5 tickets at the Chicago show.

redsurf
11-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Got my ticket for the El Rey, comes out to 44 after fees

TallGuyCM
11-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Listened to Children of God all the way through for the first time the other day. I know it's probably a weird take on things, but instrumentally there was more one song that sounded like it could have influenced parts of Metallica's Black Album. Nothing major, but there were a few things that sounded slightly reminiscent.

alpharuin
11-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Listened to Children of God all the way through for the first time the other day. I know it's probably a weird take on things, but instrumentally there was more one song that sounded like it could have influenced parts of Metallica's Black Album. Nothing major, but there were a few things that sounded slightly reminiscent.

Early/mid-period Swans is the band most metal bands wish they could be as crushing as.

Some of Swans later work can also be seen as influencing a lot of the "post rock" bands that began popping up in the late 90s. For example, the third movement of Godspeed You! Black Emperor's "Storm" (the noisey part right before the spoken-word AM/PM bit) is very similar to the intro in Swan's "I Was A Prisoner In Your Skull". The post rock guitar "sound" can be heard in Swans albums as early as White Light... and Love of Life, but is most predominant in The Great Annihilator and Soundstracks for the Blind (especially the later).

I assume since you just heard Children of God for the first time you are a new fan? Their entire discography is a really rewarding experience and is totally worth spending the time to go through it. I suggest you listen to The Great Annihilator next, if you haven't done so already.

TallGuyCM
11-05-2010, 03:07 PM
New fan indeed. My first impression was Cop probably six months ago, and I didn't particularly care for it and kind of wrote the band off as a whole. Then Still-Ill included Soundtracks for the Blind in his post-rock list in Patrick's thread, and I listened to it soon thereafter and loved it.

Recently I've really enjoyed the new record, and yeah Children of God a few days ago. I can't wait to delve more into their material between now and the show, I find Gira's musical style and lyrics to be endlessly fascinating and can't wait to listen more.

getbetter
11-05-2010, 03:07 PM
I decided to wait til i get paid but I'm 100% sure i'm getting a ticket even if i have to wait outside of the venue and ask for extra tickets.

alpharuin
11-05-2010, 03:10 PM
New fan indeed. My first impression was Cop probably six months ago, and I didn't particularly care for it and kind of wrote the band off as a whole. Then Still-Ill included Soundtracks for the Blind in his post-rock list in Patrick's thread, and I listened to it soon thereafter and loved it.

Recently I've really enjoyed the new record, and yeah Children of God a few days ago. I can't wait to delve more into their material between now and the show, I find Gira's musical style and lyrics to be endlessly fascinating and can't wait to listen more.

Also, don't forget about the Angels of Light, that's where Gira really shines lyrically.

TallGuyCM
11-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Yeah I've only heard a few Angels of Light songs, that's in the queue as well. Thanks man.

hendrixfan143
11-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Stuck in pahrump nevada, hopefully I will be able to get a ticket on monday

bmack86
11-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Why the fuck are you in Pahrump?

sbessiso
11-06-2010, 11:38 AM
so yeah, just starting listening to swans for the first time last week. ummmm holy shit this is awesome. Like where have they been all my life? this is what ive been looking for

stinkbutt
11-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Ha I knew Sunni would like it, but I would've never figured you would

sbessiso
11-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Why though? It has me written all over it. his voice, the lyrics, the music. the swans pandora station is the bees knees

SoulDischarge
11-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Why though?

Listen to some stuff from Cop. It's pretty fucking brutal and bleak. They've definitely moved on past that though and became a far more interesting band several times over. While you should definitely listen to the classic albums, make sure to give the new one a listen and see them when they roll through town next year. They are a force live and will shake your entire body up.

stinkbutt
11-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Exactly it is some really brutal dark music for the most part, and they can be quite noisy at times

sbessiso
11-06-2010, 10:10 PM
I will dig deeper and report back but im loving what ive heard so far (that VOICE!!)

and seriously their pandora station is amazing, the second song in was a nick cave b-side

getbetter
11-22-2010, 03:05 PM
:bump

This show is going be so fucking amazing.

SoulDischarge
11-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Xb3UdcM-M1E

GeezrRckr
11-22-2010, 03:16 PM
tickets in hand.

stinkbutt
11-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Have they been switching up the sets at all?

GeezrRckr
11-23-2010, 04:37 PM
are they playing this, off the new LP? sure hope so; it blows me away.

sy_p28PXG0Q

this could almost be a Grinderman song, ya know.

dorkfish
11-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Yeah, they've been playing that at every show.

Sushov23
11-24-2010, 02:11 AM
It's been the same set at every show hasn't it?

GeezrRckr
11-24-2010, 06:44 AM
i gave a cursory look in the thread and didn't see it....could someone please post the set list they've been playing. thx!

getbetter
11-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Can someone post a setlist for what the swan have been playing ??

Look if u buy Soundtrack of the blind it has a Signature by M.Gira on it.

http://younggodrecords.com/Releases/Detail.asp?C=312

getbetter
02-02-2011, 10:52 PM
I guess I'm the only one excited about Swans. I have been going on a recent listening spree of their music and can't wait for their live show .

Thanks stinky*

stinkbutt
02-03-2011, 12:13 AM
It's just Swans, no the

getbetter
02-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Devendra Banhart and wooden wand are opening up for the El rey date

TallGuyCM
02-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Lame! Not that I hate Devendra, just seems like a very unfitting opener for a band like Swans.

getbetter
02-07-2011, 03:23 PM
I haven't even hear a song from Devendra so i don't know.Personally i kinda don't even care because I'm just excited for Swans.

Right now all i have of the Swans is :
Children of God
Soundtrack for the Blind
My Father will guide me up this rope to the sky

Edit:
when i get back from doing some errands I'm going to listen to Holy Money.

SoulDischarge
02-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Lame! Not that I hate Devendra, just seems like a very unfitting opener for a band like Swans.

Not really. Michael Gira has acted as kind of a mentor/friend for Devendra for years. He's released some of his stuff on his label, had him play with Angels Of Light, and he's got an appearance on the new album. The only thing I'd be worried about is the opener drawing in the wrong kind of crowd but some horizons could get expanded.

TallGuyCM
02-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Ah, ok. Wasn't aware of all of that. That actually sounds good then.

wmgaretjax
02-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Yeah, ^ that's exactly right. A lot of the Angels of Light stuff definitely shares similarities with earlier Banhart. He's a great live performer too, so there isn't much to complain about. he definitely makes a great opening act in addition to wooden wand...

getbetter
02-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Wait Devendra did a appearance on "My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope To The Sky"?

SoulDischarge
02-07-2011, 09:12 PM
"You Fucking People Make Me Sick."

getbetter
02-07-2011, 09:18 PM
I feel retard because that's one of my most listen to track on that album, but then again i dont even really know Devendra and apparently don't know how to read Wikipedia right :/ .

http://thequietus.com/articles/04724-michael-gira-review-new-swans-album-my-father-will-guide-me-up-a-rope-to-the-sky

You Fucking People Make Me Sick

TQ: The most immediately arresting song on the album, voiced by Young God associate Devendra Banhart and his own daughter. The combination of the simple, nursery rhyme melody which descends into acoustic instrumental cacophony is quite exquisite and threatening. Brass instruments howl like overpowered fighter planes swooping into battle and strings slide into lysergic chaos.

MG: This song began as just a loose collection of various unmusical sounds, loops, noises. it was meant to be a little transition piece. There was no "song" there at all, not remotely. I just followed the trail though, wherever the sounds led. they eventually elicited Christoph's amphetamine arpeggios played on his open-tuned lap steel guitar – lots of sounds were added and subtracted. Eventually I felt it needed a brief sing-songy ditty in there, so I wrote a little thing on acoustic guitar, then wrote these leering and vaguely spiteful words while perusing a few music websites. As I was singing at home, I had this nagging feeling: who did I sound like singing this song? Devendra Banhart! Ha ha! so I called him up and explained the song and I got him to sing it instead of me. Then, it didn't feel quite finished, so I had my 3 1/2 year old daughter sing on it too. then I had Grasshopper from Mercury Rev play a hundred mandolin tracks in the background. Then came the whole mass of violent acoustic sounds at the end – drums and piano played by Bill Rieflin and sliding trumpets by Brian Carpenter of Beat Circus. Though I think this song is fairly successful, this way of working is very painful and frustrating – takes forever to come to a conclusion. None of the original sounds remain on this version, with the exception of Chris's mouth harp at the beginning.

getbetter
02-23-2011, 02:48 AM
Wednesday!!!!!!!! This show is going kick some major ass.

Here's the supposed set they have been playing.(I was hoping it would be alot longer)
No Words/No Thoughts (from My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To the Sky)
Your Property (from Cop)
Jim (from My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To the Sky)
I Crawled (from I Crawled 12")
My Birth (from My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To the Sky)
Beautiful Child (from Children Of God)
Eden Prison (from My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To the Sky)

I'm assuming we are going to get You fucking people make me sick .

ErikFlyingV
02-28-2011, 07:04 PM
I have a ticket for tomorrow night, but I reallllly don't want to go. Anyone want it cheap?

getbetter
02-28-2011, 07:15 PM
This show is going to be fucking amazing on Wednesday .

schoolofruckus
02-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Bought my ticket today - there were some more released on Ticketmaster late last week. I'm excited to see this. Is Wooden Wand worth showing up early for?

SoulDischarge
02-28-2011, 08:19 PM
You guys are in for such a good time. Start getting really, really excited right around now.

bmack86
02-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Bought my ticket today - there were some more released on Ticketmaster late last week. I'm excited to see this. Is Wooden Wand worth showing up early for?

Is Devendra opening as well? I'm gonna potentially have to buy a ticket for this, despite the price.

getbetter
02-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Is Devendra opening as well? I'm gonna potentially have to buy a ticket for this, despite the price.

Do it Byran. Im been looking forward to this show for a while.

bmack86
02-28-2011, 08:35 PM
It's just the combination of money and the fact that I was going to go to Mammoth on Wednesday. I'll think it over tonight.

SoulDischarge
02-28-2011, 08:41 PM

That you would even consider not going speaks poorly on your character.

ErikFlyingV
02-28-2011, 10:03 PM
I honestly don't know anything by the Swans, and bought this on a recomendation. I wasn't planning on going tomorrow (exhausting week), but no point in wasting a ticket. Plus, you all seem very excited.

schoolofruckus
03-01-2011, 08:45 AM

Devendra is opening - I'm definitely showing up for him. I thought he was great at Coachella '09.

TallGuyCM
03-01-2011, 09:13 AM
TOMORROW!!!

nosurprises12
03-01-2011, 09:35 AM
A friend offered me an extra ticket he has for the show at the El Rey tomorrow; I guess I should take it?

TallGuyCM
03-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Yes, and bring earplugs.

nosurprises12
03-01-2011, 09:47 AM
That loud? I already think I'll enjoy this show :)

SoulDischarge
03-01-2011, 12:21 PM
d8NhFQBMd38

Go, people.

wmgaretjax
03-01-2011, 01:11 PM
anyone know Swans starting time for the show tonight... i'm gonna be cutting it close if i can make it...

dorkfish
03-01-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm guessing 9:30 or 10:00

wmgaretjax
03-01-2011, 01:30 PM
thanks brad.

getbetter
03-01-2011, 01:33 PM
I really think this show will be better than godspeed.I've also decided for some reason I want to drink wine for this show.

Fourthisto
03-01-2011, 01:40 PM
That loud?Does the pope shit in the woods? Have fun.:cool:

nosurprises12
03-01-2011, 02:20 PM
I really think this show will be better than godspeed.

That will be a tall order, my friend...

getbetter
03-01-2011, 02:50 PM
That will be a tall order, my friend...

Really....I don't think so

TallGuyCM
03-01-2011, 02:53 PM
To even begin to compare the two is pretty pointless to begin with.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-01-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm bummed I'm not going! Have fun everybody.

Down Rodeo
03-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Anyone else going to tonight's show in SF?

Still-ill
03-01-2011, 07:27 PM
TOMORROW!!!

I came in here to post these same exact letters and exclamation points in the same order.

sonnyboy11
03-01-2011, 08:47 PM
In! Just got a ticket through friend. Oh yea!

wmgaretjax
03-02-2011, 12:33 AM
by the way... this ruled. over 2 hours. they played new stuff, and are working on an album. kick ass.

getbetter
03-02-2011, 01:06 AM
by the way... this ruled. over 2 hours. they played new stuff, and are working on an album. kick ass.

O man I got a music boner from hearing this. Was setlist like the one I posted amd anything from soundtrack for the blind?

PotVsKtl
03-02-2011, 09:44 AM
It really wasn't that loud. Don't panic.

redsurf
03-02-2011, 11:15 AM
what time did they go on in SF?

getbetter
03-02-2011, 12:11 PM
It really wasn't that loud. Don't panic.

Lame i wanna see people puking and running out of the venue.

nosurprises12
03-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Does anyone know a good place to park for the El Rey? I'm sure they have paid parking, but I'd rather not have to if I can avoid it.

getbetter
03-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Ralphs could be free or go east of the el rey a couple blocks and theres houses u can park infront of.

nosurprises12
03-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Awesome; thanks for the advice

TallGuyCM
03-02-2011, 03:57 PM
3/2 @ The El Rey
Swans 10:30 pm
Devendra Banhart 9:30 pm
Wooden Wand 8:30 pm

Down Rodeo
03-02-2011, 06:56 PM
O man I got a music boner from hearing this. Was setlist like the one I posted amd anything from soundtrack for the blind?

The setlist was similar but the only song I recognized from the older albums was Sex, God, Sex.

sonnyboy11
03-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Outstanding show tonight! I am not all that familiar with Swans but was sure glad I went. Sound was spot on for the most part @ El Rey and Gira had great energy. A thumping bomb of a performance. Glad I had a chance to see them.

TallGuyCM
03-03-2011, 12:28 AM
Holy shit. Still processing, I don't even know what to say right now. Between tonight and the Godspeed shows last week I'm pretty sure I just saw 3 of the top 5 shows I've ever seen.

I knew tonight was going to be a gloriously brutal skullfucking experience, but this was way beyond that. The most insane show I've ever seen. In between this and listening to Boris and Merzbow's Sun Baked Snow Cave for the first time earlier today, the axis of my reality has really been jolted for the time being.

schoolofruckus
03-03-2011, 07:35 AM
I don't know what the hell that was, but it ruled. I think this is the show that's finally going to push me into investing in ear plugs.

GeezrRckr
03-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Dammit, so bummed I had to miss this. Hopefully, they will show up at one/more of the fests I'm going to later this year. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.

schoolofruckus
03-03-2011, 07:41 AM
From what Jared was saying, they're working on new shit, so it's totally conceivable that future tours are in the works. They're pretty energetic for being well into their 50s....probably not going away anytime soon.

I would also like to highlight the crowd last night. AWESOME. I haven't seen that big a collection of dudes ready to stomp the shit out of someone in a long time.

Still-ill
03-03-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm unsure what to put here after last night. My brain is a little scrambled.

schoolofruckus
03-03-2011, 10:22 AM
After the show last night, all I could really say to Chris and getbetter (Zack? I don't think I got your actual name last night, and if I did, you can surely understand why it didn't stick in my brain) is that Swans are the halfway point between MBV (the loudest show I've ever seen) and Throbbing Gristle (the most disturbing show I've ever seen).

getbetter
03-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Yup my name is Zack. Im just alittle disappointed that we didn't get "you fucking people make me Sick" and I never got/see the actually show poster for el rey.From what I heard it was black with red spirals.Also I was really amazing by the auxiliary that guy had alot of funky instruments.Great show and I hope this week of amazing bands didn't just completely overshadow the rest of the year.

stinkbutt
03-03-2011, 01:05 PM
I need to see this!

bmack86
03-03-2011, 01:06 PM
THe only reason I'm not so bummed I missed this is because they'll likely tour again, but still. Damn.

cormaic
03-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Yup my name is Zack. Im just alittle disappointed that we didn't get "you fucking people make me Sick" and I never got/see the actually show poster for el rey.From what I heard it was black with red spirals.Also I was really amazing by the auxiliary that guy had alot of funky instruments.Great show and I hope this week of amazing bands didn't just completely overshadow the rest of the year.

Here's a shitty webcam picture of it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/dmanfever9/snapshot-2.png

SoulDischarge
03-03-2011, 02:19 PM
You motherfucker.

getbetter
03-03-2011, 02:25 PM
That's a sweet poster.

Did anyone else think that devendra banhart was on coke last night and not sick like he said he was? Especially when he stop a song because he said it was too long and he didn't want to do it also how much he had the "sniffs".

TallGuyCM
03-03-2011, 02:35 PM
No, I'm pretty sure he really was sick.

And cormaic, is that Emek's Sonic Youth Wiltern poster I spy to the left of the Swans one?

cormaic
03-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Yep, Sonic Youth's right next to it.

And I kinda stopped paying attention to Devandra after maybe two songs. I was back near the soundboard for his set, could barely hear him over the chatter behind me and just completely dropped off when he fucked up the one song and started ad libbing while fixing his guitar. It wasn't terrible, but yeah, he must have been really sick or on too much of something.

Swans were fucking incredible. Very glad I made the decision to buy earplugs right before their set started, though.

TallGuyCM
03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Yeah, it sounded like Devendra was playing in a crowded restaurant with all the chatter in the back. Lame.

getbetter
03-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Yep, Sonic Youth's right next to it.

And I kinda stopped paying attention to Devandra after maybe two songs. I was back near the soundboard for his set, could barely hear him over the chatter behind me and just completely dropped off when he fucked up the one song and started ad libbing while fixing his guitar. It wasn't terrible, but yeah, he must have been really sick or on too much of something.

Swans were fucking incredible. Very glad I made the decision to buy earplugs right before their set started, though.

I actually really enjoyed Devandra set til the last song.I just walked up the left lane and got to the front I wonder if i can do that at every el rey show.

bmack86
03-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Pretty much, unless it's super sold out. I love the El Rey.

TallGuyCM
03-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Yeah I've done that several times, the view is fantastic. The St. Vincent show comes to mind as an example of that trick working especially well.

cormaic
04-20-2011, 05:32 PM
From Swan's facebook page

swans will be recording material for new album in berlin first 2 weeks of july...

yes.

Fourthisto
05-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Woohoo, more dates!

Thu 09/08/11 Baltimore, MD Sonar

Sat 09/10/11 Asheville, NC The Orange Peel

Sun 09/11/11 Charlotte, NC Tremont Music Hall

Wed 09/14/11 West Palm Beach, FL Respectable Street

Thu 09/15/11 Tallahassee, FL The Engine Room

Fri 09/16/11 Atlanta, GA Variety Playhouse

Sat 09/17/11 Nashville, TN The Mercy Lounge

Tue 09/20/11 Minneapolis, MN First Avenue

Wed 09/21/11 Milwaukee, WI Turner Hall Ballroom

Thu 09/22/11 Chicago, IL Bottom Lounge

Fri 09/23/11 Cleveland, OH Beachland Ballroom & Tavern

Sat 09/24/11 Lexington, KY Buster's

Tue 09/27/11 Brooklyn, NY Music Hall Of Williamsburg

Thu 09/29/11 Boston, MA Royale Nightclub Boston

Appearing at "I'll Be Your Mirror" / Portishead
Sun 10/02/11 Asbury Park, NJ Waterfront

SoulDischarge
05-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Playing the same venue here.

jazzz
01-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Michael Gira solo tour USA March 2012

3/15/2012 San Francisco CA Great American Music Hall w/ Sir Richard Bishop
3/16/2012 Los Angeles CA Echo w/ Sir Richard Bishop
3/22/2012 Seattle WA Triple Door w/ Sir Richard Bishop
3/23/2012 Portland OR Mississippi Studios w/ Sir Richard Bishop
3/24/2012 Denver CO Oriental Theater w/ Wovenhand

getbetter
01-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Excellent!!!

wmgaretjax
01-08-2012, 05:33 PM
if you haven't seen him solo before, don't go expecting anything like Swans.

bmack86
01-08-2012, 06:29 PM
More like a spare Angels of Light?

bballarl
01-08-2012, 06:37 PM
If he's playing with Sir Richard Bishop, my guess is it is more droning solo acoustic-y kind of stuff?

wmgaretjax
01-08-2012, 07:37 PM
yeah... it'll be sparser angels of light-esque stuff i'm sure. just vocals and acoustic guitar. if the past is any indication...

TallGuyCM
01-12-2012, 09:26 PM
STILL. So fucking excited for that show.

TallGuyCM
06-04-2013, 10:11 PM
From Swans' FB page:

thanks to all who came to our recent shows in europe. it means the world to us to be in the center of the storm with you… it is a life giving, regenerative event for us to make this music, and my hope is that a positive effect is shared by all. thank you for allowing us to make a fresh world in real time. your involvement means everything! … a few more of these short tours are upcoming, then a live album (hand made), then a new studio album using the live versions of these new songs you may have experienced as a starting point. so, the studio album will move forward from the live versions you’ve possibly witnessed (which have already changed nightly in the recent tour-s), and there will also be studio-only songs as well. we feel blessed to be able to do the thing we love, and profoundly moved that some people on this earth find something of value in our work. thank you! - michael gira / swans

:dumbo :dumbo :dumbo

bmack86
06-04-2013, 10:14 PM
YES. As I recall the songs we saw at the Fonda were much more spare and less chaotic than the last two albums. Can't wait to see what they do. They are on a roll like few "reunion" acts.

zircona1
10-14-2013, 08:51 AM
New Swans live album Not Here/Not Now available for order:

http://shop.younggodrecords.com/not-here-not-now-handmade-release

Several price tiers to help with recording the new album. For $500 Michael Gira will record and sing a song for you!

getbetter
10-14-2013, 08:54 AM
Why don't they just FUCKING RELEASE A VINYL VERISON OF SOUNDTRACK FOR THE BLIND!!!!!! I would buy that in a heart beat.

bmack86
10-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Gira lives in the now, bro. The past has passed.

SoulDischarge
02-15-2014, 08:28 AM
New album in May. From their Facebook: "we'll be touring for next 16 months plus, probably... dates mentioned in this thing are just 1st leg..." http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/swans-finish-next-two-hour-epic-to-be-kind-with-st-vincent-20140214

nosurprises12
03-25-2014, 10:16 AM
New track is killer

k_TcBuxlxaM

IceyHotshot
03-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Last time I saw Swans I said, there's no way I'll see them again, it was too loud...

But, I'll see them again. This time I'll have better earplugs :D

Spooks
03-25-2014, 10:24 AM
Gira is a god damn genius!

zircona1
03-25-2014, 01:17 PM
Did these ever get posted?

North American summer tour dates (no openers announced yet)

06-17 Quebec City, Quebec - Le Cercle
06-18 Montreal, Quebec - Theatre National
06-20 Toronto, Ontario - MNW Festival (Yonge-Dundas Square)
06-21 Detroit, MI - St. Andrews Hall
06-22 Chicago, IL - Lincoln Hall
06-24 St. Louis, MO The Ready Room
06-26 Dallas, TX - Trees
06-27 Austin, TX - Mohawk
06-28 Houston, TX - Fitzgerald’s Upstairs
06-30 Nashville, TN - Exit / In
07-01 Charlotte, NC - Neighborhood Theatre
07-02 Louisville, KY - The New Vintage
07-03 Pittsburgh, PA - Rex Theater
07-05 Buffalo, NY - Tralf Music Hall
07-06 New Haven, CT - Toad’s Place

heart cooks brain
03-25-2014, 01:30 PM
there was a single on pitchfork a couple days ago.

Gribbz
03-25-2014, 01:31 PM
Did these ever get posted?

North American summer tour dates (no openers announced yet)

06-17 Quebec City, Quebec - Le Cercle
06-18 Montreal, Quebec - Theatre National
06-20 Toronto, Ontario - MNW Festival (Yonge-Dundas Square)
06-21 Detroit, MI - St. Andrews Hall
06-22 Chicago, IL - Lincoln Hall
06-24 St. Louis, MO The Ready Room
06-26 Dallas, TX - Trees
06-27 Austin, TX - Mohawk
06-28 Houston, TX - Fitzgerald’s Upstairs
06-30 Nashville, TN - Exit / In
07-01 Charlotte, NC - Neighborhood Theatre
07-02 Louisville, KY - The New Vintage
07-03 Pittsburgh, PA - Rex Theater
07-05 Buffalo, NY - Tralf Music Hall
07-06 New Haven, CT - Toad’s Place

I only posted the Austin date. I think a lot of those are new.

FEELS
03-25-2014, 08:08 PM
FYF!

zircona1
03-30-2014, 10:34 AM
Preorder info:

http://young-god-records-2.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/to-be-kind-1

getbetter
06-13-2014, 04:23 PM
xiuxiu is formally evolving or devolving into the Cerberus. (i wish more than anything that there was a cat version of this monster.) we have always had little one night stands to exercise our aesthetic sluttiness, but it seems to be turning something more serious and semi regulated, something we feel we have to introduce to mom.

for the time being there will be three permutations of xiuxiu.

one that makes records and tours that feature songs with singing. (e.g. angel guts: red classroom/a promise)

one that composes music for dance, opera and performance art (e.g. up coming residency at the kitchen with danh vo/upcoming opera with vaginal davis)

one that plays ultra minimalist death drone. (e.g. farewell cassette/upcoming collaboration with merzbow)

this last one will be the beastial head that is played opening for the swans on the tour dates below.

the goal of the band has always and will always be trying to make music that a listener can get something from by attempting to be as honest as possible about who we are (or think we are) and by writing about what is happening to people we care about at that time. the music that we are going to be playing on the swans tour will be different than we have played on a tour before. if you are into it or not into it, either way, know that making something for you is why we exist.

As much as that sounds fucking awesome I really just want to see Xiu Xiu having a full band and sticking to the hits....Because I have never seen Xiu Xiu as full Band.

RapidFireTollBooth
06-24-2014, 05:33 PM
The new album is sooo good. Easily one of my favorite albums to released this year.

getbetter
09-04-2014, 09:51 PM
Better late than never. live video of tonight's show.
https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/swans

Justin170
09-04-2014, 10:07 PM
Can't wait to see a two hour set at Basilica!

IlliniQ
09-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Caught them at The Roxy in LA last night - excellent show, though there's a lot on the new album, especially vocally, they can't really deliver live (no one other than MG sings)....A Little God In My Hands, I'm Just A Boy were highlights, but The Apostate off of The Seer was the absolute peak. Played for about 2 hours forty minutes. Definitely got my money's worth.

mb1234
09-11-2014, 05:38 PM
It's a shame they don't care about their 80s and 90s material enough to play it in concerts anymore. Reformed Swans is completely uninteresting imho.

getbetter
09-11-2014, 06:01 PM
They played couple old songs at the El Rey in 2011. Sex god sex is even better live.

mb1234
09-11-2014, 06:09 PM
I was at that show actually, and yes it was very very good. But taking a look at recent set lists, I think they've abandoned them all together.