PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Weekend's new album Contra is now streaming on MySpace

Queenie Cupcakes
01-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Listen here:

http://www.myspace.com/vampireweekend

Then discuss here.

Sushov23
01-03-2010, 06:25 PM
There is also a leak going around. Which i'm sure is just a rip of the album from myspace.

Queenie Cupcakes
01-03-2010, 06:35 PM
I've only been able to find a fake leak of the album that turns into a bunch of kids talking about how terrible the state of music is after "Horchata", but there could be another out there!

So far, I'm getting a bit of New Order on this, as well a sense that whomever was part of that Discovery side project had his hands all over this album.

jasonllester
01-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Not bad on the first listen, definitely above expectations. It seems like it will be way more of a grower than the first album, but I like it all in all. Horchata and California English are rather grating, but Taxi Cab, Diplomat's Son, and Giving Up the Gun are all classic VW.

paulthomasanderson
01-03-2010, 07:13 PM
One of the most over-hyped bands out there. The leak is nothing to get excited over.

bmack86
01-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Please leave the board

psycobetabuckdown
01-03-2010, 07:23 PM
"classic VW" haha

Queenie Cupcakes
01-03-2010, 07:34 PM
After an initial listen, I'd have to say it's pretty decent, kind of short in length and I enjoy the fact they're trying out a different sound. There's some really good pop songs, and that's all I really expected.

TallGuyCM
01-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Haven't listened yet, but the new songs came off good live a few months ago.

THIS.
01-03-2010, 08:52 PM
It's good, but not great...
upon initial listen i like the debut album better but should still sound good on the polo grounds this year

DRcube
01-03-2010, 08:53 PM
fuck it, ive listened to the whole album twice already and loved it

wewantmuse
01-03-2010, 10:52 PM
i love everything i've heard. surprisingly, i think their live performance of california english is actually better than how it sounds on record.

piNiD7pSEro

bmack86
01-03-2010, 10:57 PM
It's good, not as immediate as the first album. I'll have to give it a few more listens, but I'm not blown away

TallGuyCM
01-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Definitely not as immediate. Just got done with my first listen, and I like it, definitely not a sophomore slump. But it does lack a song with the sing-along exuberation of Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa.

And it's a little more Discovery and a little less Paul Simon, which is a good thing.

BlackSwan
01-04-2010, 03:15 PM
I've listened to it once and am not blown away either, but more listens are in order.

wmgaretjax
01-04-2010, 03:20 PM
i actually made it through this one... which is a huge improvement over the last one. gonna wait for a high quality leak before i give it a good listen.

JebusLives
01-04-2010, 03:29 PM
One of the most over-hyped bands out there. The leak is nothing to get excited over.

Do you hold any opinions that aren't simply based on a mathematical average of everyone else's? U2 is the most over-hyped band out there, and you're all over that thread. Go back.

My personal opinion is that the first album was rather shrugworthy, but not bad per se. The second album will be the one to judge them on.

psycobetabuckdown
01-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Do you hold any opinions that aren't simply based on a mathematical average of everyone else's? U2 is the most over-hyped band out there, and you're all over that thread. Go back.

hahaha. I hate that kind of shit.

I'm listening to this album and it's not bad, just kind of the same. What's that complaint people always make about the Chili Peppers? Yeah, VW is heading that direction.

hendrixfan143
01-04-2010, 05:35 PM
i'd see them if they played coach

JebusLives
01-04-2010, 06:57 PM
They were boring last time, but much better a few months later at Pemberton. And by boring, I mean they played their album accurately as recorded.

Caligula
01-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Listen here:

http://www.myspace.com/vampireweekend

Then discuss here.

FUCK THAT

MuseRadio
01-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Any high quality leaks anyone know of yet?

BlackSwan
01-05-2010, 09:34 AM
I like "Horchata." Where is all the hate for that song coming from?

Edit: I thought I was hearing things the first time, but is that auto-tune in "California English?"

wewantmuse
01-05-2010, 11:09 AM
believe so. i usually hate auto-tune, but with california english.. i absolutely love it. fits the song.

liquidsnake28
01-05-2010, 08:06 PM
I cannot fucking stand the singer. He's almost as annoying as the Passion Pit guy. I don't know how I made it through this album. They always sound so happy go lucky to the point that I wish something really bad would happen to them just so they might start making some decent music.

Sigur Ros Stache
01-05-2010, 11:27 PM
They were boring last time, but much better a few months later at Pemberton. And by boring, I mean they played their album accurately as recorded.

This was a very accurate statement, the set was not bad and they sounded EXACTLY like they do on record. There was nothing more brought to the set but I found it enjoyable...I didn't leave the set with ZOMG, that was AWESOME though.

Im gonna check em out here in Atlanta beginning of April and see if they brought anymore to the live show, sounds like they have improved some.

thestripe
01-06-2010, 06:40 AM
It's good. Probably better than the first one. I approve.

TallGuyCM
01-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Cousins is the catchiest song I've heard in a long time. Infectious.

TallGuyCM
01-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Just watched the video for Cousins, and after having seen them perform it live in person once and on late night shows twice, I've grown really appreciative of how musically together they are in that song. I mean, the drummer's going off the entire time, the bass line is rather complicated and relentlessly fast, and even some of the guitar parts are difficult to play yet they keep it together really well. Good stuff.

CellarOwl
01-12-2010, 10:46 AM
The most entertaining thing about Vampire Weekend is seeing how many tongues Pitchfork can stick up their assholes on a daily basis. They're just so incredibly boring. Can anyone who actively likes them explain the interest in this?

TallGuyCM
01-12-2010, 10:50 AM
The most entertaining thing about Vampire Weekend is seeing how many tongues Pitchfork can stick up their assholes on a daily basis. They're just so incredibly boring. Can anyone who actively likes them explain the interest in this?

Not all music has to be adrenaline-filled and exciting.

CellarOwl
01-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Not all music has to be adrenaline-filled and exciting.

I didn't say that it had to be. I'm not concerned with the things they're not, I want to know what's so good about what they are.

TallGuyCM
01-12-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm not their biggest fan, but I see what people like in them. They're fun, poppy music. Nothing more, and they don't have to be.

alexcuse
01-13-2010, 11:24 AM
http://hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news07898m01
Red-Hot Indie Act Vampire Weekend’s Contra Looks Headed for #1 on Next Week’s Chart

January 13, 2010

The new year may end up being happy after all for the record biz.
Indie stalwarts Vampire Weekend’s eagerly anticipated sophomore album, Contra, on XL Recordings/Beggars Banquet and distributed by WMG’s ADA, looks headed for a chart-topping debut next week with between 110-120k.

The Upper West Side Soweto Afropop from these Columbia University alumni is hitting the sweet spot with younger buyers, especially at digital outlets, where more than 50% of their sales are coming from. A nice set-up, which included live performances on The Tonight Show, L.A.'s influential KCRW and a night of release show in L.A. along with a a massive online presence, including several free streams, helped contribute to the strong start.

That’s based on one-day sales reports from those retailers who haven't thrown their hats into the ring for the 11:30 p.m. slot on NBC.

The Vampire Weekend story could be historic, as it would be the first #1 record for ADA, which also has Transference, the new album from Merge Records act Spoon coming next Tuesday. That release might just give the indie distribbery two chart-toppers in a row.

The competition for the two alternative superstars is—who else?—Susan Boyle, whose Syco/Columbia album will be around 95-100k this week after selling 93k last week.

TallGuyCM
01-13-2010, 09:06 PM
The Upper West Side Soweto Afropop from these Columbia University alumni is hitting the sweet spot with younger buyers, especially at digital outlets, where more than 50% of their sales are coming from. A nice set-up, which included live performances on The Tonight Show, L.A.'s influential KCRW and a night of release show in L.A. along with a a massive online presence, including several free streams, helped contribute to the strong start.

See? No such thing as bad exposure, streaming the album before the leak/physical release does nothing but good.

kroqken
01-19-2010, 06:13 PM
One more reason MySpace is better than any other social networking site, as it is more music friendly.

stuporfly
01-21-2010, 05:58 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/30ae6h1.jpg
Vampire Weekend played a four song acoustic set at Barnes & Noble in Union Square tonight as part of their Upstairs at the Square series.

They played...

Horchata
White Sky
Oxford Comma
Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa

The songs worked well acoustically.

stuporfly
01-22-2010, 06:54 PM
My review of last night's Vampire Weekend event is up on the New York Press (http://www.nypress.com/blog-5705-vampire-weekend-at-uh-barnes-noble.html) website, if anyone's interested. And the show itself can be seen on the Barnes & Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/upstairs-at-the-square/index.asp?cds2Pid=26721&linkid=1492572) website.

It wasn’t clear when exactly Vampire Weekend was booked to perform as part of Barnes & Noble’s Upstairs at the Square series. Surely it happened well before the band’s new album, Contra, topped the charts upon release. That’s not the college rock charts or one of the other charmingly quaint but ultimately meaningless charts cooked up over the past few decades to make sure everyone releasing an album in any genre got a big, warm hug. No, as the band dutifully took to the stage on Thursday night, Vampire Weekend had the top selling album in the entire country.

One of the larger Barnes & Noble bookstores in the city, the four-story location in Union Square is ideally suited for the series, which matches writers and musicians for an hour of music and conversation. The fourth-floor event space nestled between the history and music books is routinely stuffed with rows of chairs, and it’s clear someone at the venerable bookstore had caught wind of the Billboard and iTunes charts, because they’d added even more chairs and a rudimentary system of theater ropes that for a less-polite atmosphere would have proved entirely useless to hold the wolves at bay. In the case of Vampire Weekend—paired with Ghanaian-born, Jamaican-raised poet Kwame Dawes—the ropes did their job, even as the band’s fans continued piling up the escalator and weaving their way further and further toward the back of the cavernous room.

Host Katherine Lanpher stuck to the script, asking a clumsily crafted question about Contra that attempted to frame it in the construct of the evening before the band broke into an acoustic version of “Horchata,” the first official salvo from the album which dropped as a free download on the group’s website.

It’s an assumption one has to make, even with a band thats album is such a runaway success: If you’re unfamiliar with Vampire Weekend’s music, it’s sort of an intellectual mix of new wave and African influences. When the debut arrived two years ago, it polarized indie nerds, some of whom were repelled by the proudly Ivy League with the willfully ridiculous name and the smug Benetton-geared mix of music and fashion. Others lightened the fuck up and bought it hook, line and sinker. It was January then, and cold, and the enthusiasm and homogenized exoticism in the music felt like several rays of sunshine at just the right time. The formula worked well enough then that the band repeated the process this time around, both in the musical aesthetic and in timing the release to arrive when a bit of warmth can go a long way. And clearly it went a long way this time around.

When Vampire Weekend plays its music, as it did at the Bowery Ballroom two nights earlier and on the stage at Barnes & Noble, the group’s charm is undeniable. Frontman Ezra Koenig is kind of a spaz, but an effective one, and the wide smile on drummer Chris Tomson’s face as he stumbles through semi-complex rhythms on a floor tom and tambourine makes it hard not to root for these guys. It helps that the music is not only catchy, but also rather good.

It very nearly didn’t work during Thursday night’s show. Vampire Weekend’s success brought with it too many fans, not only for the space, but for an event that relies heavily on both the sophistication and grace of its audience. Past performances, available for viewing as this will soon be, on the Barnes & Noble website, show a reserved crowd who buys into the inherent pretensions of the whole thing. It feels like a television show, one shown on PBS. And for the hundreds of kids craning their necks over bookshelves for a glance at their new indie heroes, PBS is meaningless. They wanted to scream and maybe dance a little. They didn’t want an intellectual discourse. They wanted Vampire Weekend. And that’s what they got, but not without Dawes.

It didn’t look like it was going to work, but then it did, and credit should go not only to Vampire Weekend, but also to Dawes, a charismatic poet who earned the respect of at the very least the kids up front by reciting a handful of poems, the best of which, “A Caliban is Born”, was based on Shakespeare. More importantly, Dawes included Vampire Weekend in his conversation, and the crowd. It was enough for the roughly 200 people up near the front to sit and take notice, though a disrespectful murmur from the back of the room continued throughout.

In all, Vampire Weekend performed just four songs, all acoustic, and all quite effective in their stripped down forms. “White Sky,” which the band has been playing out for more than two years followed “Horchata,” and two songs from the first record, “Oxford Comma” and “Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa” closed out the event to as rapturous a response as the fourth floor is ever likely to hear.

The band not only sold itself through their music, but also through conversation. Multi-instrumentalist Rostam Batmanglij recalled a conversation with Paul Simon on the set of Saturday Night Live in which the legendary artist absolved Vampire Weekend of having bitten Graceland, and Koenig described Dawes’ favorite Contra track, “Diplomat’s Son”, as having begun life as “a weird, violent boarding school revenge fantasy.”

While it sometimes felt as though half of Manhattan was there on the fourth floor, not all fans of Vampire Weekend made the trip all the way up. Nine-year old fan Nolan Smith talked his mother Tamara into bringing him to the event, but he was distracted by the Pokemon Ultimate Handbook and never made it past the second floor. Still, he enjoyed the music.

“They sounded good,” said Nolan. “They sounded just like the iPod.”

It didn’t seem as though it was going to work, but then it did. And for all their talk of being able to play the kind of small venues they came up through in addition to larger theaters, it looks as though the latter is the direction in which Vampire Weekend is heading. The crowd at Barnes & Noble showed a little taste of that, and to their credit, Vampire Weekend somehow managed to retain a sense of crowd intimacy in spite of the size. It worked against the odds on Thursday night, and it should serve the group well heading into the future.

sbessiso
02-08-2010, 06:14 AM
I Think UR A Contra

PassiveTheory
02-08-2010, 08:30 AM
VW cover Rancid: here (http://www.abeano.com/blog/new-vampire-weekend-ruby-soho-rancid-cover-and-minimix)

TomAz
02-08-2010, 09:30 AM
I dislike Vampire Weekend less than I used to. Their melodies are infectious enough that I've moved them out of my "this shit is as bad as Daft Punk and The Eagles" category.

I still think they suck though. And the whole Ivy League upturned-collars-and-noses thing still makes me want to beat the shit out of them. Which I'm pretty sure I could, since there's not one testicle to be found anywhere in the whole band.

sbessiso
02-08-2010, 09:31 AM
You think Daft Punk is shit?

TomAz
02-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Daft Punk is some of the worst music ever, yes. Cheesy, clumsy, and stupid, it loses in just about every way possible.

PassiveTheory
02-08-2010, 09:39 AM
I still think they suck though. And the whole Ivy League upturned-collars-and-noses thing still makes me want to beat the shit out of them. Which I'm pretty sure I could, since there's not one testicle to be found anywhere in the whole band.

That being said, would you think favorably of them if they didn't embody prep school privilege? Or if they were lower class punks?

TomAz
02-08-2010, 09:45 AM
That being said, would you think favorably of them if they didn't embody prep school privilege? Or if they were lower class punks?

This is a good question and I have asked myself that. But, you know, "lower class punks" aren't gonna write a song about serial punctuation or going to Cape Cod for the weekend, so it's sort of hard to divorce the two.

Musically they're just really lightweight. I mean Paul Simon watered down this stuff enough in the 80s, and VW even finds that too potent and dumbs it down even further.

VW : 'Graceland' :: 'Graceland' : 'Remain in Light'

sbessiso
02-08-2010, 09:52 AM
say what you will but i love the album. White Sky is one of my favorite ones