PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Songwriters

Somewhat Damaged
01-01-2010, 09:19 PM
I got a bunch of Nirvana stuff for Christmas and listening to the Reading set reminded me again of what a great songwriter Kurt Cobain was. I shook my head at myself in disbelief over how tremendous he was, how even the songs off Bleach still hold up so well and are better than most anything coming out today. And so it got me to thinking where he would rank in a list of the top songwriters in modern music history. (No inclusion of Mozart, Bach, et al.)
Numbers 1-3 have to be Lennon, McCartney, and Dylan. I wouldn't be so bold as to assign a ranking, especially because of the trickiness of deciding whether to include Lennon/McCartney as a duo or individually. (If it's individually, then Dylan beats them. As a duo, they probably win.) David Bowie and Prince would probably fill out the top 5, though again, I haven't spent enough time mulling this over to decide who's placed where.
The bottom half of the top 10 would need to include Lou Reed, Ray Davies, and Leonard Cohen. In my opinion, Kurt warrants being mentioned among their class. And so who would be the last one in? Bruce Springsteen would probably be cited by many, though I can't attest to much familiarity with his work, especially not to the point that I'd list him myself. Thom Yorke would be up my alley, though can he be credited as a songwriter when Radiohead's compositions seem to largely be created by the group as a whole? Brian Wilson came to mind earlier, but like Springsteen, I see him more as an artist others would pick more than I would. What do you think?

juloxx
01-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Not in order

1.) Kurt Cobain
2.) 2pac
3.) Biggie
4.) Eminem
5.) DMX (amazing storyteller. You may not know from his singles, but beyond that he is a brilliant lyricist)
6.) WC
7.) Axl Rose (Not sure if I wanted to include him because the themes he deals with don't tend to be that deep. Also, I only really listened to Appetite for Destruction. But for shallow themes, his lyrics evoke the emotions he wants them too.)
8.) Method Man
9.) Guru
10.) Immortal Technique (Not his biggest fan, but he can spit. No denying that)

So let the roasting of Juloxx begin, and i'll handle it how it comes. I am fully ready to defend each of the artists with at least 3 songs off the top that will probably pleasantly surprise you.

whynotsmile99
01-01-2010, 09:31 PM
I've always been a big Rufus Wainwright fan and just recently got into his father, Loudon Wainwright III

I've got most of his albums now, so many fantastic songs I'm still discovering. the two of them are in there. along with the usual mix of Dylan and Waits and the other legends

He'll be at the Largo in February

tw_ts10h1ys
M3gwASqR3gE
lVam-fshUgw
and of course
Rufus is a tit man

46EbjMkeghE

paulthomasanderson
01-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Besides Lennon, McCartney, and Dylan, not to mention Cohen and Reed, I'd have to put in Paul Simon and, as a matter of personal choice, Thom Yorke. Brian Wilson definitely deserves to be up there too. I'd also say Bono during the first 11 years or so with U2 had some stellar moments in songwriting. A few other names that come to mind include Pete Townshend, as well as Barry/Robin Gibb in the Bee-Gees, Bob Marley, and Robert Smith.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6YSh1-XuUKE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6YSh1-XuUKE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IyfaYHMNIuA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IyfaYHMNIuA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ygOaNo3M_Hw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ygOaNo3M_Hw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dq6YmSVAOG8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dq6YmSVAOG8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MJHgMD1S0bg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MJHgMD1S0bg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

juloxx
01-01-2010, 09:40 PM
As I said earlier, a fine fucking story teller. Beats alright, but this is about lyrics

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A949JshqvbI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A949JshqvbI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TallGuyCM
01-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Neil Young

Still-ill
01-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Juloxx... lol.

TallGuyCM
01-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Juloxx... lol.

Sad thing is, I don't think he's joking.

woogie846
01-02-2010, 12:19 AM
I've always been a big Rufus Wainwright fan and just recently got into his father, Loudon Wainwright III

I've got most of his albums now, so many fantastic songs I'm still discovering. the two of them are in there. along with the usual mix of Dylan and Waits and the other legends

He'll be at the Largo in February

Don't miss Loudon if you have the chance. I saw him last year at the Largo and he was great, and very funny.

Kid B
01-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Bob Dylan
Lennon/McCartney
Roger Waters

MonOm
01-02-2010, 12:29 AM
2pac

roboticwaltz
01-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Personal 10 (for now), in no order:

Neil Young
Lou Reed
Paul McCartney
John Lennon
Kurt Cobain
Page/Plant
David Bowie
Joe Strummer/Mick Jones
Joni Mitchell
Nick Drake

juloxx
01-02-2010, 12:41 AM
Sad thing is, I don't think he's joking.

You're right. I have no shame in it too.

Whats really sad is the level of monotony on this board.

Juloxx... lol.

Ya, I don't really bump Bob Dylan or Paul Mcfartney n shit. Classic rock just isn't up my alley, so my bad on that.

That aside, which one of those artists do you think don't belong on a list (I am guessing your gonna say DMX). Besides Pac, Big, Eminem, Guns Roses & Nirvana you guys probably don't listen to any of these artists or haven't heard their songs besides what has played on the radio so I doubt most of you will have anything of worth to say about them or my opinion. If you are open minded though I welcome the criticism.

That aside again, these fools can rhyme and got hell of alot more steeze then Bono.

Also, as i said, list the people u think dont belong and i am ready to defend

TomAz
01-02-2010, 06:38 AM
In no particular order (other than the order in which they occur to me)

Elvis Costello
Bob Dylan
Lennon/McCartney
Jagger/Richards
Tom Waits
Leonard Cohen
Linton Kwesi Johnson
Bob Marley
Regina Spektor
Steve Earle
Jeff Tweedy
Thom Yorke
Lou Reed
Bruce Springsteen
Gillian Welch
Conor Oberst
Lucinda Williams
Alejandro Escovedo
Prince

BROKENDOLL
01-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Those that have had the most impact in no special order~

Elton John/Bernie Taupin
Lennon/McCartney
Roger Waters/David Gilmour
Michael Jackson
Eminem
Alanis Morrisette
Don Henley/Glen Frey
Peter Gabriel
Eddie Van Halen/Sammy Hagar
Steven Tyler/Joe Perry

roberto73
01-02-2010, 09:29 AM
I agree with a lot of the names mentioned here. One that hasn't shown up yet is Nick Cave. Lyrically and musically, his body of work is pretty astounding, and it's even more remarkable that the quality hasn't dropped off even though he's had, at this point, a 30-year-long career.

Also, in terms of partnerships, Andy Partridge and Colin Moulding of XTC and Robert Forster and (the late, lamented) Grant McLennan of The Go-Betweens.

Alchemy
01-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Ya, I don't really bump Bob Dylan or Paul Mcfartney n shit. Classic rock just isn't up my alley, so my bad on that.

That aside, which one of those artists do you think don't belong on a list (I am guessing your gonna say DMX). Besides Pac, Big, Eminem, Guns Roses & Nirvana you guys probably don't listen to any of these artists or haven't heard their songs besides what has played on the radio so I doubt most of you will have anything of worth to say about them or my opinion. If you are open minded though I welcome the criticism.

Do you see the hypocrisy here?

paulthomasanderson
01-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Quick, everyone delete their posts so the thread title can be renamed Top 10 Shittiest Songwriters. He did put Cobain up there though...too bad.

Nice pick with Regina Spektor, Tom. We agree on that. She's capable of being stellar with it, and I also think Conor Oberst is high up, but he should focus more on Bright Eyes if he wants to keep climbing up.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
01-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Harry Nilsson, Cat Stevens, and Stevie Wonder should be on this list

Kid B
01-02-2010, 10:49 AM
1. Bob Dylan
2. Lennon/McCartney
3. Roger Waters
4. Stevie Wonder
5. Brian Wilson
6. Bob Marley
7. Peter Gabriel
8. Kate Bush
9. Jim Morrison
10. Billy Joel

woogie846
01-02-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned George and Ira Gershwin.

menikmati
01-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Cobain, Lennon, McCartney, and Woody Guthrie

Alchemy
01-02-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm going to mention Brian Eno as a contender. And since the Gershwin's were brought up, I'll nominate mine and Jewface's good friend, Stephen Sondheim.

bleep
01-02-2010, 02:33 PM
in addition to some of the names already mentioned above, i'd include these two on my personal list:
Robert Pollard
Mark E. Smith

fiyahhh!
01-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Most of Tom's list with the addition of Paul Westerberg.

juloxx
01-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Quick, everyone delete their posts so the thread title can be renamed Top 10 Shittiest Songwriters. He did put Cobain up there though...too bad..

Arite so Pac n Big are on your shit list along with Eminem and Guru. Even Immortal Technique. And judging by your knowledge of rap you have no idea who WC is, or even Guru is at that (You have my permission to go look them up on wikipedia or whatever you were going to do so you can formulate your dumbass argument.).

Eat a dick fool. I may have lost whatever little credibility I had on these forums but I stand by what I say, but by saying all those artists are shit so have you lost yours. Dont even have the balls to say why they dont belong, because I guarantee I will be able to prove you wrong with each of those artists except maybe Axl.

Do you see the hypocrisy here?

No. Just because I dont listen to them does not mean a bunch of my friends dont, through smoking sessions and such I have had my exposure to their music. In addition, My teacher senior year made me do my last paper on the lyrics of McCartney, Hendrix, Springstein, and Bob Dylan and I got an A on the paper. So its not like I have never been exposed to their music, I just don't really like it.

Aside from Broken Doll's and maybe some others, most of the opinions here seem to have come out of an assembly line. Just because a rapper is talking about dealing drugs & killing over love or some hippy bullshit, doesnt mean they are any less of a lyricist. I just tend to like that hard shit.

zenidogx
01-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Don't forget about David Byrne, people.
BG2NL72DhqA

BROKENDOLL
01-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Aside from Broken Doll's and maybe some others, most of the opinions here seem to have come out of an assembly line. Just because a rapper is talking about dealing drugs & killing over love or some hippy bullshit, doesnt mean they are any less of a lyricist. I just tend to like that hard shit.
Thank you, juloxx. I was prepared for a bashing since my list was based upon MY taste and not an assembly line. It's nice to see that there are still people open to other's opinion's and taste in music around here.

You wouldn't happen to also be a Disturbed fan would you? *giggles* (I really took a beating for that one once. LOL)

canexplain
01-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Here are 200 songwriters to ponder...... cr****

http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/best_songwriters.html

bmack86
01-02-2010, 07:51 PM
My thing is, I think of a songwriter as the package. By their nature, that would exclude, for me at least, most rappers, since they write their lyrics and someone else writes the music.

Ian MacKaye is one of my favorites. Between Minor Threat, Embrace, Egg Hunt, Fugazi and The Evens, he writes some of the most spectacular music. Same with Guy Picciotto.

Alchemy
01-02-2010, 08:04 PM
No. Just because I dont listen to them does not mean a bunch of my friends dont, through smoking sessions and such I have had my exposure to their music. In addition, My teacher senior year made me do my last paper on the lyrics of McCartney, Hendrix, Springstein, and Bob Dylan and I got an A on the paper. So its not like I have never been exposed to their music, I just don't really like it.

Well in 2004, when I was working on my masters in lyrics at MIT, I wrote my thesis on Pac, Biggie, Eminem, IT, and at the end of my scientific research, I came to the conclusion that they are subpar song writers, and my findings were approved by the Committee of Better Music and I graduated with a 4.0 GPA. Also, the same day that I graduated, I had all green lights on the way home with minimal traffic. And also, my dad has exclusive rights with Honeywell.

unit300021
01-02-2010, 08:09 PM
no particular order and just the ones on top of my head

mcartney/lennon
leonard cohen
bob marley
kurt cobain
jack white (get back to white stripes already)
conor oberst
2pac
bono (as much as i dont like U2 no denying his writing)
bob dylan
johny cash
willie nelson
prince

sonnyboy11
01-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Pete Townsend
Jagger/Richards
Taupin/John
Lennon/McCartney
Bob Dylan
Buddy Holly
Bob Marley
Woody Guthrie
Hank Williams Sr.
Brian Wilson
Henry Mancini <-- Peter Gunn theme, Pink Panther theme- awesome
Stephen Sondheim<-- Westside Story- awesome
John Cage
Philip Glass
JJ Cale
Robbie Robertson
Becker/Fagan
Peter Gabriel
Roger Waters

Some personal faves that might not be considered legends at songwriting skills but I like 'em anyway

Curtis/Sumner/Hook
Reid/Reid
Keenan/Jones/Chancellor/Carey
The Ramones

faxman75
01-02-2010, 09:30 PM
John Lennon
Roger Waters
Leonard Cohen
David Lowery
Jeff Tweedy
Matt Berninger
Beck

juloxx
01-04-2010, 12:55 AM
My thing is, I think of a songwriter as the package. By their nature, that would exclude, for me at least, most rappers, since they write their lyrics and someone else writes the music.

Fair enough. Most producer/rappers are mediocre lyrcists at best. I cant even name any penomenal ones off the top of my head. So if you look at it like that then I can see why there wouldn't be many rappers on that list

Well in 2004, when I was working on my masters in lyrics at MIT, I wrote my thesis on Pac, Biggie, Eminem, IT, and at the end of my scientific research, I came to the conclusion that they are subpar song writers, and my findings were approved by the Committee of Better Music and I graduated with a 4.0 GPA.

Can't tell if you are making fun of my post about doing a paper in high school or if you are being serious. I f you are being serious I am curious to see your reasons behind that. Just like the key points that made you come to that conclusion.

You wouldn't happen to also be a Disturbed fan would you?

Honestly, I havent heard enough from them too know if I dislike or like them. I have just heard some songs here and there from them.

TomAz
01-04-2010, 08:55 AM
don't think I've seen these listed yet:

Cole Porter
Holland-Dozier-Holland
Lieber-Stoller
Brian Wilson
Ray Davies
Robertson-Danko-Manuel

Pixiessp
01-04-2010, 09:16 AM
No particular order. There are more that I admire. These are just the ones that popped into my head immediately.

Black Francis
Robert Smith
Jeff Tweedy
Kate Bush
Mark Hollis/Tim Friese-Green
Nick Cave

And Cole Porter(good one, Tom) Especially the way Ella sings his songs.

AlecEiffel
01-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Charles Thompson
Buddy Holly
Bruce Springsteen
Dee Dee Ramone
Morrissey
Wesley Willis
Stuart Murdoch
Chilton/Bell
Andrew WK
Holsapple/Stamey
Michael Brown
Holland/Dozier/Holland
Argent/Blunstone/White

greghead
01-04-2010, 11:55 PM
don't think I've seen these listed yet:

Cole Porter
Holland-Dozier-Holland
Lieber-Stoller
Brian Wilson
Ray Davies
Robertson-Danko-Manuel

This.

And Jimmy Cliff needs to be added to everyone's list.

Monklish
01-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Paul Simon is drastically underrepresented here. He's easily in the top five, and way fucking better than Dylan, incidentally.

Also I'd like to throw up Robbie Robertson of The Band. But most of you chumps don't know.

Also also, I'd like to shit on all you bandwagon riding motherfuckers popping up with Leonard Cohen now just because you saw him at Coach last year. 90 percent of you didn't know jack about him a year ago and have only absorbed approximately slightly more than dick since. Just because they shut down the main stage for him doesn't mean that you need to keep sucking him off every time one of these threads comes up.

Fiona will be pretty damn close when all's said and done if she stays alive. Dan Auerbach, particularly within The Black Keys, is also well on track if he starts making some more grandiose tunes.

TomAz
01-05-2010, 06:42 AM
Randy, I had Robbie Robertson on my list.

I will never understand your love for Paul Simon. Each to his own.

faxman75
01-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Paul Simon is drastically underrepresented here. He's easily in the top five, and way fucking better than Dylan, incidentally.

Also I'd like to throw up Robbie Robertson of The Band. But most of you chumps don't know.

Also also, I'd like to shit on all you bandwagon riding motherfuckers popping up with Leonard Cohen now just because you saw him at Coach last year. 90 percent of you didn't know jack about him a year ago and have only absorbed approximately slightly more than dick since. Just because they shut down the main stage for him doesn't mean that you need to keep sucking him off every time one of these threads comes up.

Fiona will be pretty damn close when all's said and done if she stays alive. Dan Auerbach, particularly within The Black Keys, is also well on track if he starts making some more grandiose tunes.

You diss Dylan, go on some worthless rant about Cohen and praise Auerbach and Fiona Apple?

Fiona wrote one incredible album. When the pawn.... The rest isn't all that wonderful. I have listened to the Black Keys quite a bit and have seen them live but can't for the life of me think of the words to any of their songs, that's not to say Auerbach isn't a good songwriter, the music just stands out more for me. Auerbach's solo album really does a better job of displaying his songwriting.

Tori Amos used to write amazing songs but i'm not sure about the last decade.

rskapcat
01-05-2010, 07:17 AM
Mark, Extraordinary Machine is pretty wonderful.

And Tori has disappeared into adult contemporary land. She gave birth and it all went to hell.

faxman75
01-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Mark, Extraordinary Machine is pretty wonderful.

And Tori has disappeared into adult contemporary land. She gave birth and it all went to hell.

Could you imagine what type of songwriting we would get if she aborted that thing? Maybe "me and a coat hanger".

I love Extraordinary Machine but lyrically I don't think it's in the same league as When the Pawn. I'm not saying any of her albums are even poorly written. I just think if you are going to praise her as one of the best you shouldn't be panning Bob Dylan.

amyzzz
01-05-2010, 07:30 AM
kind of offensive there, mark.

faxman75
01-05-2010, 07:53 AM
To who Tori? I doubt she reads the board. Besides it was a compliment that she writes better when she goes through trauma. Look at little earthquakes. It's brilliant. It's all about boys who fucked with her in school, rape and growing up in an oppressive household. Most artists thrive or compose their best works when they are fucked over by life. Fiona was really tail spinning and acting like a loon when she wrote When the Pawn... thanks to Paul Thomas Anderson.

I think EM was her most experimental work thus far and as Randy said, hopefully releases lots more music before she kills herself or something.

amyzzz
01-05-2010, 08:34 AM
As a mom, I'm offended.

AlecEiffel
01-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Has your song writing gotten better since you gave birth?

roberto73
01-05-2010, 08:59 AM
I just think if you are going to praise her as one of the best you shouldn't be panning Bob Dylan.

But he's not panning Dylan. He's saying Paul Simon is better than Dylan. A comparison is not automatically a pan.

faxman75
01-05-2010, 09:05 AM
But he's not panning Dylan. He's saying Paul Simon is better than Dylan. A comparison is not automatically a pan.

No, not automatically. It sure looks like a panning or a knock when you are pointing out how much better one is than another though.

Aurgasm
01-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Tom Waits and Townes Van Zandt are not on anybody's list?

goodness...

CellarOwl
01-05-2010, 09:22 AM
David Bowie and Prince would probably fill out the top 5, though again, I haven't spent enough time mulling this over to decide who's placed where.

Though Bowie's songs in the 70's and intermittently thereafter are some of my favourites, he was never so much of a songwriter himself as he was someone who just had a great ability to find and work with the right people at the right time. People confer this creative demigod status upon him, but the list of people he's worked with who deserve a huge chunk of the credit have been criminally underrated. I'd say the same applies to Bjork and the list of people around her like Mark Bell.

I think Robert Smith, Martin Gore, Stevie Nicks, Josh Homme, Leonard Cohen, Otis Redding, Jarvis Cocker, Tom Waits, Billy Corgan (once upon a time) and possibly Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields all deserve a fair mention though some are way more far removed from the top 10 than others.

TomAz
01-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Tom Waits and Townes Van Zandt are not on anybody's list?

goodness...

Waits is on mine. And Townes would have been if I'd thought of him.

Monklish
01-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Randy, I had Robbie Robertson on my list.

I will never understand your love for Paul Simon. Each to his own.

Go listen to Bridge Over Troubled Water again. Then pop on Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes. Few people have ever been capable of spanning the gap between such grand, awe-inspiring operatic shit as Bridge and then go into pure foot-moving ass-shaking rhythm and blues.

You diss Dylan, go on some worthless rant about Cohen and praise Auerbach and Fiona Apple?

Fiona wrote one incredible album. When the pawn.... The rest isn't all that wonderful. I have listened to the Black Keys quite a bit and have seen them live but can't for the life of me think of the words to any of their songs, that's not to say Auerbach isn't a good songwriter, the music just stands out more for me. Auerbach's solo album really does a better job of displaying his songwriting.

Tori Amos used to write amazing songs but i'm not sure about the last decade.

Bob Dylan fucking blows. The only reason he belongs in this discussion at all is that his songs have resulted in much, much, much better versions by ANYONE EXCEPT BOB DYLAN, so I guess that does prove that he's a much better writer. Which is good, because he's an absolutely fucking dreadful singer, arranger, and not a particularly thrilling guitar player.

All three of Fiona's albums have been rather fantastic. To dismiss Tidal particularly surprises me. Then I remembered who you are. Neckbeard. Then it didn't surprise me anymore.

rskapcat
01-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Tidal was a fairly immature record...like she was trying to use big words just to use big words. Doesn't make me cringe or anything...I just think she found her footing better on When the Pawn Blah Blah Blah.

chairmenmeow47
01-05-2010, 10:45 AM

Fiona wrote one incredible album. When the pawn.... The rest isn't all that wonderful.

i have never wanted to punch a post more than this in my entire life. i'm going to listen to the awesomeness that is tidal now. there is little else that speaks to me like the lyrics in that album.

my feel for you boy
is decaying in front of me
like the carrion of a murdered prey
and all i want is to save you honey
or the strength to walk away...

chairmenmeow47
01-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Tidal was a fairly immature record...like she was trying to use big words just to use big words. Doesn't make me cringe or anything...I just think she found her footing better on When the Pawn Blah Blah Blah.

really? that whole "but he washed me ashore and took my pearl, and left an empty shell of me" doesn't completely shatter you like it does me?

Monklish
01-05-2010, 10:48 AM

I think When The Pawn was an improvement too, but it's fucking insane to start slinging ropes at Tidal as if it wasn't and isn't a really, really fucking good album. You just can't fuck with the first four songs.

chairmenmeow47
01-05-2010, 10:49 AM
it's a fucking opus. i'm literally containing rage at my desk right now, lol.

Mr. Dylanja
01-05-2010, 10:54 AM
I'd pay to see Ivy punch Faxy's post.

rskapcat
01-05-2010, 10:54 AM
It's a great album. I like "Pale September" and "Carrion", myself.

faxman75
01-05-2010, 10:59 AM

The problem with tidal is it caused every half assed DJ who didn't listen closely to start comparing her to Tori Amos. They heard a chick and a piano with some songwriting skills and went for the obvious comparison.

Which brings me to say the songwriting on Little Earthquakes is superior to the songwriting on Tidal.

Go ahead and let it out Ivy. You get two punches since I was hiding last time.

chairmenmeow47
01-05-2010, 11:01 AM
well i guess we can't all be GNR

Mammoth85
01-05-2010, 11:02 AM
These are all excellent. Can't forget Elliott Smith though.

Monklish
01-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Ooo, how'd I forget Elliott? The modern John Lennon. Damn.

humanoid
01-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Elliot Smith is high on my list, but i didn't feel like getting yelled at, so I hadn't posted it yet

contrary to belief, some of us actually listened to Leonard Cohen well before Coachella even existed

my mom still has a bunch of him on vinyl that I grew up hearing around the house, and I became a big fan myself when I first heard him in Natural Born Killers...he's not that ridiculously obscure, tons of people I know had that soundtrack at least

Monklish
01-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Elliot Smith is high on my list, but i didn't feel like getting yelled at, so I hadn't posted it yet

contrary to belief, some of us actually listened to Leonard Cohen well before Coachella even existed

my mom still has a bunch of him on vinyl that I grew up hearing around the house, and I became a big fan myself when I first heard him in Natural Born Killers...he's not that ridiculously obscure, tons of people I know had that soundtrack at least

I was listening to Cohen when I was a tyke too. But look at what you said--you actually became a fan when you heard The Future on a fucking soundtrack. Fewer than 10 percent of the people on here had much more exposure to him than that. Just a fact.

humanoid
01-05-2010, 11:14 AM
and PJ Harvey is very near the top of my list

Mammoth85
01-05-2010, 11:22 AM
PJ Harvey! She's got to be on my top 5.

algunz
01-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Has James Taylor been mentioned?

humanoid
01-05-2010, 11:25 AM
I was listening to Cohen when I was a tyke too. But look at what you said--you actually became a fan when you heard The Future on a fucking soundtrack. Fewer than 10 percent of the people on here had much more exposure to him than that. Just a fact.

There are 3 songs Cohen songs in the film, and was simply what propelled me to become a serious fan. I was a fan before that, he was someone I listened to and enjoyed, but hadn't delved deeply into his works yet...and that was still in 1994. I don't see how becoming a more serious fan when exposed to something via a soundtrack somehow disqualifies it. No, I can't claim to be a fan from 1970, I wasn't alive yet. Many people heard all of these artists well before most of us did. I wasn't alive for the prime of Dylan, Simon, Lou Reed, etc. and I was exposed to them via various avenues, but I still claim them as some of my favorite songwriters.

I completely understand what you mean about the nature of people to be followers, but considering my own experience with someone like Cohen, I can't presume to know when or how others became acquainted with him.

Monklish
01-05-2010, 11:27 AM
There are 3 songs Cohen songs in the film, and was simply what propelled me to become a serious fan. I was a fan before that, he was someone I listened to and enjoyed, but hadn't delved deeply into his works yet...and that was still in 1994. I don't see how becoming a more serious fan when exposed to something via a soundtrack somehow disqualifies it. No, I can't claim to be a fan from 1970, I wasn't alive yet. Many people heard all of these artists well before most of us did. I wasn't alive for the prime of Dylan, Simon, Lou Reed, etc. and I was exposed to them via various avenues, but I still claim them as some of my favorite songwriters.

I completely understand what you mean about the nature of people to be followers, but considering my own experience with someone like Cohen, I can't presume to know when or how others became acquainted with him.

Okay, so then how about you just consider yourself to be part of the 10 percent and shut the fuck up about it? Stop forcing your opinions on other people, Humanoid.

humanoid
01-05-2010, 11:28 AM
what are you talking about?

in regards to "forcing my opinions on other people"?

wmgaretjax
01-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Ooo, how'd I forget Elliott? The modern John Lennon. Damn.

what's making Randy gay? it's kind of creepy.

Monklish
01-05-2010, 11:32 AM
what are you talking about?

in regards to "forcing my opinions on other people"?

I'm saying that my position was that 90 percent of the board didn't have a fucking clue who he was or his music. So if you run contrary to that then just pat yourself on the back for being in the other ten percent and shut up about it.

what's making Randy gay? it's kind of creepy.

You're a goddamn psychopath. How in the hell do you have a problem with Elliott, you pussy?

humanoid
01-05-2010, 11:33 AM
okay, patting myself on the back now...with both hands

wmgaretjax
01-05-2010, 11:45 AM
You're a goddamn psychopath. How in the hell do you have a problem with Elliott, you pussy?

I don't. You are just being gay.

Monklish
01-05-2010, 11:47 AM
I think my dog's gay cause his penis tastes really bitter.

Aurgasm
01-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Waits is on mine. And Townes would have been if I'd thought of him.

didnt see that. I'm pretty surprised his name isnt floating around here more. Wrong crowd perhaps.

Mr. Fuzz
01-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Tidal is arguably one of the greatest written albums ever. Sleep to Dream and Never is a Promise are my favorites.

Chaplipman
01-05-2010, 03:40 PM
John Lennon
Thom Yorke/Jonny Greenwood
Bob Marley
David Bowie
Ray Davies
Johnny Marr - I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that Marr wrote the music and Morrissey wrote the words, so I thought I'd include his songwriting contributions to The Smiths on here.

Maybe it's because Paul Simon is chickenshit?

roberto73
01-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Bob Dylan fucking blows.

Now that's a pan.

Somewhat Damaged
01-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Bob Dylan fucking blows. The only reason he belongs in this discussion at all is that his songs have resulted in much, much, much better versions by ANYONE EXCEPT BOB DYLAN, so I guess that does prove that he's a much better writer. Which is good, because he's an absolutely fucking dreadful singer, arranger, and not a particularly thrilling guitar player.

All three of Fiona's albums have been rather fantastic. To dismiss Tidal particularly surprises me. Then I remembered who you are. Neckbeard. Then it didn't surprise me anymore.

i have never wanted to punch a post more than this in my entire life. i'm going to listen to the awesomeness that is tidal now. there is little else that speaks to me like the lyrics in that album.

my feel for you boy
is decaying in front of me
like the carrion of a murdered prey
and all i want is to save you honey
or the strength to walk away...

really? that whole "but he washed me ashore and took my pearl, and left an empty shell of me" doesn't completely shatter you like it does me?

I think When The Pawn was an improvement too, but it's fucking insane to start slinging ropes at Tidal as if it wasn't and isn't a really, really fucking good album. You just can't fuck with the first four songs.

it's a fucking opus. i'm literally containing rage at my desk right now, lol.

"Paper Bag" was playing while I read this discussion. Not really that the song itself is referenced or its lyrics have any sort of import, just thought it was a nice coincidence that a Fiona song came on as I got to this conversation.

Fiona is in my top 5 favorite artists. When the Pawn is a tremendous album. I can't even tell you how many times I've listened to it. "Love Ridden" and "I Know" are killer; oh, to be able to use them in a film soundtrack someday. Thanks for mentioning her Randy.

Also, have you listened to Blonde on Blonde? His arrangements in there are terrific. Or can you just not get over his voice?

juloxx
01-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Some of that storytelling that I was talking about. Ill shit. This is a 3 parter about how DMX sold his soul. Its dope

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_qjototbbhg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_qjototbbhg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The darkest one, and my favorite. (ft. Marlyn Manson)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DdQqjTwrHmU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DdQqjTwrHmU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wSNV5Le78MU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wSNV5Le78MU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>