PDA

View Full Version : Camping option confusion...

prettydirtything
12-22-2009, 05:05 PM
EDIT: there is no confusion, buy a damn camping ticket and you are all set. Every person needs a camping ticket who enters the camping area, there is only one type of camping ticket (+ one type of RV ticket), and we get 5 times the space as previous years.

What is there to clarify? You buy a ticket, you get a spot. When they have sold as many tickets as they have spots, they stop selling tickets. Is this hard to comprehend?

If you want to camp, you have to have a camping ticket, if you have car, you use the ticket to enter the campground with your car, if you don't have a car and you take the bus, the train, an airplane, a zebra, david bowies borrowed jet pack, or your own two feet to get to the polo fields, then you present the camping ticket and festival ticket to enter the grounds and get a spot to set up your tent. Basically, you get one spot for every ticket, if you don't have a car, you go to the tent camp-ground, if you have a car, you go to the car campground.

3imaginaryboys
12-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Your friends just need a festival ticket to get into the camping area, I think. From the layaway ticket page:

Your car and as many people or tents you can cram into that spot (as long as it’s not against the rules) is fine with us. Everyone entering Car camping is required to have a festival ticket.

Hope that helps?

gaypalmsprings
12-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Everyone in the car will prolly get a camping wristband.

Man, I love my avatar! Ha.

prettydirtything
12-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Your friends just need a festival ticket to get into the camping area, I think. From the layaway ticket page:

Your car and as many people or tents you can cram into that spot (as long as itís not against the rules) is fine with us. Everyone entering Car camping is required to have a festival ticket.

Hope that helps?

I saw that, but it still seems unclear. If you can haul 8 people into camping for the same $55 it formerly cost one person, this is an under publicized cost reduction compared to previous years!

And it still doesn't explain if the "Tent only camping" listed on the Layaway page will be a separate (cheaper?) ticket made available at a later date. My recepit said "Car/Tent" camping. Is the camp-next-to-your-car option first come first served? Will late arrivals be stuck hauling their gear from a distant parking lot like previous years? Formerly, the spots were 8x8, so even if you wanted 6 friends to come and pitch next to you, there was no space. In prior years, if you wanted to camp together you would have to arrive together so you could be assigned spaces next to each other on a first come, first served basis. I read what you quoted as meaning: "whoever wants to (from RV camping, tent camping, car camping) can come join you if they fit in the new, much larger 10'x30' space"

Don't get me wrong, I would be thrilled if you what you understood was correct, I am just not 100% sure.

prettydirtything
12-22-2009, 06:13 PM

That would be friggen sweet. I just need to know for sure, so I can tell people "I have the (one!) camping ticket covered. You all need to buy me booze."

paulthomasanderson
12-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Here:

10x30 Camping Spot $55 (this time we are selling spots, not per person and cars will be allowed to park within the purchased spot. Please see detailed information about car and tent camping below.) Every car entering the Car camping area must have (1) Car camping spot ticket to enter.

prettydirtything
12-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Bear with me if I am being a retard... and setting aside how many people I can stuff into my clown car and if the the new rules = 'One car-full, one ticket'.......

Did my layaway ticket guarantee me a spot for the car or not? It says "Car camping" is limited, and that "Tent only camping" is a different area than car camping. My receipt says "Car/Tent Camping", and I saw no option on the layaway to select "Tent Only Camping". I am starting to feel like a moron, or a lawyer.

Fuck it... In 2002 I arrived on the Greyhound bus with comped weekend passes, and pitched my tent in the parking lot. My only expenses were drugs, water and churros. This year will kick ass no matter WTF the camping situation is.

seandigi
12-22-2009, 06:28 PM

Your avatar is bad ass, I must say.

paulthomasanderson
12-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Bear with me if I am being a retard... and setting aside how many people I can stuff into my clown car and if the the new rules = 'One carful, one ticket'.......

Did my layaway ticket guarantee me a spot for the car or not? It says "Car camping" is limited, and that "Tent only camping" is a different area than car camping. My receipt says "Car/Tent Camping", and I saw no option on the layaway to select "Tent Only Camping". I am starting to feel like a moron, or a lawyer.

No, believe me, most were confused about this for days. Anyways, to be frank, one car camping pass covers everyone coming in with you in one vehicle. Car/Tent camping applies to either, but obviously is for you to use for car camping, that is, if you get there before it's all full.

seandigi
12-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Bear with me if I am being a retard... and setting aside how many people I can stuff into my clown car and if the the new rules = 'One car-full, one ticket'.......

Fuck it... In 2002 I arrived on the Greyhound bus with comped weekend passes, and pitched my tent in the parking lot. My only expenses were drugs, water and churros. This year will kick ass no matter WTF the camping situation is.

You can always email the customer support staff and ask... I would think there is a seperate pass, not sure though.

prettydirtything
12-22-2009, 06:31 PM
No, believe me, most were confused about this for days. Anyways, to be frank, one car camping pass covers everyone coming in with you in one vehicle. Car/Tent camping applies to either, but obviously is for you to use for car camping, that is, if you get there before it's all full.

all right then. Good news for all! I am coming up Thursday, so if it fills up quickly, I am going to park in the middle of the fucking Gobi tent in protest. Lots of shade, and a view of the stage.

prettydirtything
12-22-2009, 06:34 PM
It also seems that the fact you can camp for $5-$20 a head should be getting more props. I should be picking up hitch hikers in a mini-van, and turning them loose once inside the grounds. Charge $25 a head, stuff 6 Canadians into a Ford Astro, and viola. Poster money!

seandigi
12-22-2009, 06:51 PM
For real

psycobetabuckdown
12-22-2009, 08:14 PM
It also seems that the fact you can camp for $5-$20 a head should be getting more props. I should be picking up hitch hikers in a mini-van, and turning them loose once inside the grounds. Charge $25 a head, stuff 6 Canadians into a Ford Astro, and viola. Poster money!

i think the props were just kind of implied - like "of course this is awesome, it doesn't really need to be said." Plus people were distracted by stuff like having ins and outs but not being able to leave the campsite (until we found out about the shuttle).

nbvcide
12-22-2009, 08:52 PM

i do too!

Bud Luster
12-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Car/Tent camping applies to either, but obviously is for you to use for car camping, that is, if you get there before it's all full.

I dont think GV is going to sell more car camping spaces than they have available. They arent going to turn you away if you have a car camping pass.

koryp
12-22-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm with you guys in feeling like I had to read the camping description a few times to feel like I understood how this is gonna work. The camping ticket is for car camping or tent camping. We weren't given an option to pick now. The "car camping is limited" part on the ticket purchase leads me to believe that GV is implying that when they fill up the car camping section, that will be it for cars allowed in the grounds. Shouldn't be a problem for arriving on Thursday, but I might feel a little uneasy if we weren't getting in till late on Friday. Worst case is if they fill up the car camping spaces, late arrivals will have to find an offsite place to park their cars and just camp in the section for just tents. It may not be perfect, but it will work out.

Bud Luster
12-22-2009, 10:19 PM
IF YOU HAVE A FUCKING CAR CAMPING TICKET THEY ARE NOT GOING TO TURN YOU AWAY! WHAT THE FUCK DONT YOU UNDERSTAND???

BROKENDOLL
12-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Meant to say something about that earlier, GPS! Let me ask you this though...Is one blue ball less frustrating than having two blue balls?
:rotfl (Screw the anti-emoticon enemy!)

i think the props were just kind of implied - like "of course this is awesome, it doesn't really need to be said." Plus people were distracted by stuff like having ins and outs but not being able to leave the campsite (until we found out about the shuttle).

I'm still amazed at all the unappreciative bickering over the ins/outs announcement around here last week. I wanted to scream out, "Well WTF did you guys do all the years before when you couldn't leave the fest? Geez! I know that by Sunday last year, I was starting to lag and space out, and we didn't even go inside until like 4-5pm. I had my party essentials, a sweater, and my ticket and camp pass. We got inside the gate and went to get our drinking bands, and I realized I had left my ID at the tent. (Seriously, even I had to have an ID to drink!) Anyway, I was ready to write the drinking off since I was already marinated from Friday/Sat. but, Pete said give it a shot. It took some explaining and they agreed to let me run to the tent, but Pete had to stay inside. I know I missed a band or two I wanted to see earlier that day, but I knew I couldn't hang the whole day which is why we hungout at camp until later.
I'm thinking that's what the ins/outs are more or less for, not leaving the grounds entirely.

koryp
12-22-2009, 11:35 PM
IF YOU HAVE A FUCKING CAR CAMPING TICKET THEY ARE NOT GOING TO TURN YOU AWAY! WHAT THE FUCK DONT YOU UNDERSTAND???

Wow! That is a whole lot of caps! I think he is serious about this.

Egull
12-23-2009, 08:40 AM

YOU REALIZE THAT THERE IS NO SEPARATE TICKET FOR CAR CAMPING RIGHT? WHEN YOU BUY A CAMPING TICKET IT JUST SAYS CAR/TENT CAMPING AND CAR CAMPING IS FIRST COME FIRST SERVE, THUS IT IS A VALID QUESTION.

M Sparks
12-23-2009, 08:53 AM
YOU REALIZE THAT THERE IS NO SEPARATE TICKET FOR CAR CAMPING RIGHT? WHEN YOU BUY A CAMPING TICKET IT JUST SAYS CAR/TENT CAMPING AND CAR CAMPING IS FIRST COME FIRST SERVE, THUS IT IS A VALID QUESTION.

NO IT'S NOT! TENT CAMPING AND CAR CAMPING SPACES ARE THE SAME SIZE! THEY WILL SELL AS MANY TICKETS AS THERE ARE SPACES!

They will (probably) fill tent campers from one side and cars from the other. They'll leave some unsold spots in the middle for safety. Why is this so hard for people to figure out? And even if we're not sure, so what? You can't do anything about it now. Relax.

prettydirtything
12-23-2009, 10:07 AM
I dont think GV is going to sell more car camping spaces than they have available. They arent going to turn you away if you have a car camping pass.

dude; around and around we go. My camping pass says "Car/Tent Camping" (and as I have said before, the layaway had no option to select "Tent Only"), so you are saying no one will be turned away no matter when they arrive, or what their ticket says, or when they purchased it. However, the layaway page says "car camping is limited".

Ok, you have decided car camping is limited by first come, first served. I would like to know if you are correct or not.

NO IT'S NOT! TENT CAMPING AND CAR CAMPING SPACES ARE THE SAME SIZE! THEY WILL SELL AS MANY TICKETS AS THERE ARE SPACES!

They will (probably) fill tent campers from one side and cars from the other. They'll leave some unsold spots in the middle for safety. Why is this so hard for people to figure out? And even if we're not sure, so what? You can't do anything about it now. Relax.

The only part that I agree with is "And even if we're not sure, so what? You can't do anything about it now. Relax."

You are 100% correct on that part!

Bud Luster
12-23-2009, 11:11 AM
I think at this point this is the important info:

More details will be posted in the coming months including how this is all going to work and what you can expect in the campgrounds so please check back when the new 2010 website has launched, no need to panic before then, we still have several months to go, chillax.

sbessiso
12-23-2009, 11:16 AM
so am I right when I say I potentially do not have to buy a camping ticket if Im driving in with someone who does

prettydirtything
12-23-2009, 11:33 AM
so am I right when I say I potentially do not have to buy a camping ticket if Im driving in with someone who does

I think we had better go with this for now:

More details will be posted in the coming months including how this is all going to work and what you can expect in the campgrounds so please check back when the new 2010 website has launched, no need to panic before then, we still have several months to go, chillax.

Would be nice to know for budgeting purposes though...

Bud Luster
12-23-2009, 11:41 AM

Correct, it seems that it is on a price per car basis. I would imaging that they just arent going to let you cram as many niggas in your car as you can though. seat belt laws and such.

amyzzz
12-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Hmmm. Someone needs to smuggle me in their car so I can get in on the camping festivities for a night.

paulthomasanderson
12-23-2009, 12:43 PM

Yes, yes, and yes.

Hmmm. Someone needs to smuggle me in their car so I can get in on the camping festivities for a night.

Oh you will be involved. Smuggling will be more easier this year than ever before.

emtgreg
12-23-2009, 01:01 PM
how is it smuggling if you sit in the backseat?

fiopadp7791
12-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Maybe it would be nice if Psychic Friend clarified this for us...

emtgreg
12-23-2009, 02:12 PM
What is there to clarify? You buy a ticket, you get a spot. When they have sold as many tickets as they have spots, they stop selling tickets. Is this hard to comprehend?

If you want to camp, you have to have a camping ticket, if you have car, you use the ticket to enter the campground with your car, if you don't have a car and you take the bus, the train, an airplane, a zebra, david bowies borrowed jet pack, or your own two feet to get to the polo fields, then you present the camping ticket and festival ticket to enter the grounds and get a spot to set up your tent. Basically, you get one spot for every ticket, if you don't have a car, you go to the tent camp-ground, if you have a car, you go to the car campground.

Bud Luster
12-23-2009, 06:09 PM
but, but, my layaway ticket doesn't say zebra / David Bowie's jet pack...

Stickjohn
12-23-2009, 07:18 PM
I think emtgreg just proved that there is confusion on the concept of multiple people in a car.

BROKENDOLL
12-23-2009, 07:40 PM
I don't give a shit about the confusion over multiple people in the car, telling me I can now bring my zebra to Coachella has got me excited as fuck!

prettydirtything
12-23-2009, 08:11 PM

dude; I am tired of this. Layaway page says "Car Camping is limited" and either:

1. Car camping is first come first served, all camping tickets are the same.
2. There are separate tickets purchasing options for car camping and tent only camping, and if you buy a car ticket you are guaranteed a place to park your whip.

If its #1, I will be there early on Thursday so I'm not worried about it.
If its #2, what kind of fucking ticket did I just buy on layaway? It says "Car/Tent Camping" as I may have mentioned previously. ;-)

paulthomasanderson
12-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Lock.

eskamo951
12-23-2009, 09:26 PM
but, but, my layaway ticket doesn't say zebra / David Bowie's jet pack...

They have Christmas Zebras at Sears...I think I found my tent decoration.

psycobetabuckdown
12-23-2009, 10:34 PM
dude; I am tired of this. Layaway page says "Car Camping is limited" and either:

1. Car camping is first come first served, all camping tickets are the same.
2. There are separate tickets purchasing options for car camping and tent only camping, and if you buy a car ticket you are guaranteed a place to park your whip.

If its #1, I will be there early on Thursday so I'm not worried about it.
If its #2, what kind of fucking ticket did I just buy on layaway? It says "Car/Tent Camping" as I may have mentioned previously. ;-)

s88r_q7oufE

psychic friend
12-23-2009, 10:52 PM
i dont have the patience to read through this whole thread but camping is per spot. either with a car.. or not.

"limited" meaning its not infinite. geez you guys really overthink stuff too much. if you bought a spot you have a spot regardless of when you show up.

psycobetabuckdown
12-23-2009, 10:57 PM
I think part of it is some people are worried that the festival will oversell camping tickets.

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 06:30 AM
I will pay someone $10 to smuggle me in.

psycobetabuckdown
12-24-2009, 07:50 AM
I gotcha

prettydirtything
12-24-2009, 09:19 AM
i dont have the patience to read through this whole thread but camping is per spot. either with a car.. or not.

"limited" meaning its not infinite. geez you guys really overthink stuff too much. if you bought a spot you have a spot regardless of when you show up.

All right then. Camping has always been finite, and I have a ticket this year like I always do.

thread killer!

A group of 5 people gets 1500 square feet. Commence your plans for a tinker toy based superstructure with solar panels, flushable toilets and a parking garage.

http://www.hotelchatter.com/files/3/longitude_131_tent.jpg

faxman75
12-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Jesus fucking CHRIST! Can you read? A little bit?

Car camping spots are 10’x30’. Your car and as many people or tents you can cram into that spot (as long as it’s not against the rules) is fine with us.

You don't get 1500 sq feet god damn it. It's fucking clear. You drive in with your clown car you all better fit into the 10' x 30' spot.

END OF FUCKING STORY. Cripes!

faxman75
12-24-2009, 12:11 PM
I think part of it is some people are worried that the festival will oversell camping tickets.

Some people are retarded. Dani just clearly stated if you purchase a ticket you will have a spot. It means there isn't unlimited land. It means they have enough plots for a limited number of tickets to sell. When the tickets are sold there are no more slots.

I'm here to regulate.

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 12:46 PM
I just wonder if campers will get a special wristband because I want one.

prettydirtything
12-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Jesus fucking CHRIST! Can you read? A little bit?

You don't get 1500 sq feet god damn it. It's fucking clear. You drive in with your clown car you all better fit into the 10' x 30' spot.

END OF FUCKING STORY. Cripes!

dude, in years past I am usually am with a group of around 5 people. We go in together, and we had (in previous years) 5x 8'x8' spots to setup on. This year, if I camp with the same group of 5 people with 5 camping tickets, we get 5x 10'x30' spots to setup on. We get more space this year. Am I doing my square feet calculations in correctly?

BROKENDOLL
12-24-2009, 02:01 PM
dude, in years past I am usually am with a group of around 5 people. We go in together, and we had (in previous years) 5x 8'x8' spots to setup on. This year, if I camp with the same group of 5 people with 5 camping tickets, we get 5x 10'x30' spots to setup on. We get more space this year. Am I doing my square feet calculations in correctly?
Yes, you are. BUT... Must you and your friends be sooo damned greedy? Better yet, when each of you buys a spot for $55 and you get that 1500 feet all set up, do you want to borrow my cellphone to call the friend acrossed the camp site you've got? DUH...

BROKENDOLL
12-24-2009, 02:03 PM
"Hey guys! Let's each pay $55 to camp, instead of $55 for all of us in the same cozy spot!"

prettydirtything
12-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Yes, you are. BUT... Must you and your friends be sooo damned greedy? Better yet, when each of you buys a spot for $55 and you get that 1500 feet all set up, do you want to borrow my cellphone to call the friend acrossed the camp site you've got? DUH...

lol... its being being not greedy if I build my previously referenced tinkertoy based super structure with a flushable toilet; all are welcome!

I think that is the way its gonna go this year; lots of extra space, and the people who are ultra prepared will draw in folks like moths to a flame. Thats the way it worked last year; I didn't hang out in my tiny shitty tent, I went over and hung out with friends who had brought a shade structure, speakers, and huge coolers filled with illicit booze. Now, with cars and extra space, the bar will be raised!

faxman75
12-24-2009, 02:19 PM
If all 5 of you have car camping passes then all 5 of you better have cars. Otherwise, i doubt they are going to give the passengers each of their own 10x30 spaces.

A normal person would pick up their 4 friends and all of their stuff and have ONE car/camping pass and set up in the 10x30 area.

Instead every single time someone tells you what the deal is you come up with a new hypothetical. I'm sure you will find a way to fuck it up if you show up acting this difficult.

BROKENDOLL
12-24-2009, 02:19 PM
lol... its being being not greedy if I build my previously referenced tinkertoy based super structure with a flushable toilet; all are welcome!

I think that is the way its gonna go this year; lots of extra space, and the people who are ultra prepared will draw in folks like moths to a flame. Thats the way it worked last year; I didn't hang out in my tiny shitty tent, I went over and hung out with friends who had brought a shade structure, speakers, and huge coolers filled with illicit booze. Now, with cars and extra space, the bar will be raised!
Ah, in that case...Hot showers too? LOL Just be sure to pick your toys up at the end of the weekend! :)

Bud Luster
12-24-2009, 07:11 PM

You get a 10X30 spot per car, not per person. The tent only camping spaces will be the same as before Im sure.

prettydirtything
12-26-2009, 12:00 PM
If all 5 of you have car camping passes then all 5 of you better have cars. Otherwise, i doubt they are going to give the passengers each of their own 10x30 spaces.

A normal person would pick up their 4 friends and all of their stuff and have ONE car/camping pass and set up in the 10x30 area.

Instead every single time someone tells you what the deal is you come up with a new hypothetical. I'm sure you will find a way to fuck it up if you show up acting this difficult.

ABOUT TENT ONLY CAMPING

NO SAVING SPOTS - Arrive together to camp together. NEW FOR 2010: 10x30 tent spots are what is being sold. Each CAMP SPOT is HUGE - a 10x30 (300 square feet!!) spot on a beautiful serene grassy area offering quiet private surroundings separate from Car and RV camping areas. All camping amenities included. You can visit any of the other RV or Car Camping areas too. You can cram as many people into your tent as will fit. Each camper must have a festival ticket. Want more space? Buy another spot. If you are driving a car to the event and camping overnight you must purchase a spot and camp in the car camping area. All cars staying overnight during the festival must be in a car camping spot.

prettydirtything
12-26-2009, 12:05 PM

fuck Christ man; I spent an entire thread trying to clarify if there was any difference between tent camping passes and car camping passes. THERE ISN'T. Stop mentioning "Car camping passes", as I was initially. There is no option for that. Its a camping pass. Sorry for the tounge in cheek hypotheticals, they have simply middied up the waters.

emtgreg seemed to have the answer, and PF chimed in with what sounded like an affirmative?

prettydirtything
01-19-2010, 08:08 AM
from the official FAQ:

Can I bring my friends into camp?

Sure, as long as everyone has a festival ticket you can have them come to your camping spot.

sounds to me like only one person per clown car need have a camping ticket, eh?

psychic friend
01-19-2010, 08:13 AM
thats what it says.. camp spots. why is this so hard for people to understand?

I can update the wording for you guys, let me know what you want it to say so you can comprehend it.

higgybaby23
01-19-2010, 08:19 AM
^Sig worthy.

homEsick
01-19-2010, 08:26 AM

the spot is the same size. i get that theyre the same ticket, but i figure they will have it divided. seems if there was only one car, youd get one 10x30 space by cars and four 10x30 by tent only. so while they might not all be by each other, they'll still give each space-buying "passenger" the 10x30 they paid for.

psychic friend
01-19-2010, 08:36 AM
everyone who buys a camping ticket gets a 10x30 spot. if you don't have a car you get a spot in the tent only area.

seanyb
01-19-2010, 01:41 PM
the edited original post seems to contradict what else has been said in this thread

lexineffect
01-19-2010, 02:07 PM
EDIT: there is no confusion, buy a damn camping ticket and you are all set. Every person needs a camping ticket who enters the camping area, there is only one type of camping ticket (+ one type of RV ticket), and we get 5 times the space as previous years.

Why you would edit this and give incorrect info is beyond me.

1.Car camping and tent camping is the same thing in so much as you buy one ticket for one spot and they are the same size.

2.Everyone who is in the camping area does NOT need a camping ticket they just need a festival ticket. "everyone entering Car camping is required to have a festival ticket"

3.Summing up if you have 4 people in one car and two small tents that would fit in one space then you only need to purchase one camping ticket.

seanyb
01-19-2010, 02:18 PM
yep, there we go, lock the thread