PDA

View Full Version : with every electronic movement, there is a birth of greatness

psychoc&ndy
12-21-2009, 01:12 AM
right now, dubstep is hot. whether people will admit it or not, this new movement of bass driven music is taking raves and clubs by the neck and shaking them up and down. as with any movement, there is alot of bullshit and bastardizing within. many djs play sets that consist of songs that are basically jump up dnb produced at 140 bpm. but while that may be a majority, there is still a considerable lot of producers putting out incredible music that is progressing electronic dance music to new levels. now my question to you is, who do you think is forging new ground and will influence electronic producers for years to come? keep in mind, many producers are making good "of the moment" music, while others seek to create music that will stand the test of time. let's discuss who those people might be.

my votes are on these guys. i know they are some of the biggest names in dubstep, but they are more than deserving of all the hype humankind can summon.

- Mala (very hyped, but very much deserves it. i can see people looking back in ten years and revering him as the organic, spiritual, and incredibly bass heavy saviour of dubstep)

- Shackleton (again, very hyped but you can't pin his musical style down to one genre. his use of textures, ethnic rhythms and dark atmospheres give his music a cinematic feel that takes you through a journey while riding over deep, dubby sub bass

- Skream (huge in the dubstep world for a reason. he's prolific like ryan adams: making an incredible amount of quality songs every year)

- 2562 (he has taken what basic channel were good at, and does it even better)

- Burial (creates moods that almost move you to tears; his sampling rivals dj shadow)

- RSD (if lee perry or king tubby produced dubstep, they would be called RSD)

pezGato
12-21-2009, 01:51 AM
i'm not into dubstep specifically that much... but if i had to pick an influential electronic group or artist, i'd have to say crookers are up there... the new single "no security" sounds like dubstep to me, but not toooo dubstep. like tolerable mainstream dubstep... nothing like this, though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuBarA3aPOg
( which found off a crookers live set -_- )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpAePSP-ni4

ehh... what the hell, why not? pretty raw... it was, after all, after the first song..(of the set)

wmgaretjax
12-21-2009, 01:53 AM
BogaA7wXKEI

juloxx
12-21-2009, 03:22 AM
Have you ever seen dub-step being played at a club? No one dances to that shit, and when they do they look like fucking retards (Not including times when people go to see a specific artist play at a club, thats different). I dont particularly like dub-step, but there is no doubt that there has been a recent surge in its popularity.

Whatever, I am thinking its a fad, but you never know. Give me that jump up dnb shit over dub any day though

wmgaretjax
12-21-2009, 03:31 AM
ahIaOYLrUAc

jazzz
12-21-2009, 03:42 AM
hey dude,

If you should tire of Basic Channel then maybe you should listen to Moritz Von Oswald Trio or Move D Namlook..

Burial put out a classic record.. reminds me of Goldie "Timeless" back when it came out. I think King Midas Sound will give Burial a run for the money!

matsuolost
12-21-2009, 04:06 AM
right now, dubstep is hot. whether people will admit it or not, this new movement of bass driven music is taking raves and clubs by the neck and shaking them up and down. as with any movement, there is alot of bullshit and bastardizing within. many djs play sets that consist of songs that are basically jump up dnb produced at 140 bpm. but while that may be a majority, there is still a considerable lot of producers putting out incredible music that is progressing electronic dance music to new levels. now my question to you is, who do you think is forging new ground and will influence electronic producers for years to come? keep in mind, many producers are making good "of the moment" music, while others seek to create music that will stand the test of time. let's discuss who those people might be.

my votes are on these guys. i know they are some of the biggest names in dubstep, but they are more than deserving of all the hype humankind can summon.

- Mala (very hyped, but very much deserves it. i can see people looking back in ten years and revering him as the organic, spiritual, and incredibly bass heavy saviour of dubstep)

- Shackleton (again, very hyped but you can't pin his musical style down to one genre. his use of textures, ethnic rhythms and dark atmospheres give his music a cinematic feel that takes you through a journey while riding over deep, dubby sub bass

- Skream (huge in the dubstep world for a reason. he's prolific like ryan adams: making an incredible amount of quality songs every year)

- 2562 (he has taken what basic channel were good at, and does it even better)

- Burial (creates moods that almost move you to tears; his sampling rivals dj shadow)

- RSD (if lee perry or king tubby produced dubstep, they would be called RSD)
man,

higgybaby23
12-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Oh no, not another dubstep thread. And I actually sorta like the stuff...

betao
12-21-2009, 11:56 AM
jesus christ, how many dubstep threads have you created on this board?

betao
12-21-2009, 12:52 PM
I dont have a problem with dubstep. But if you want to discuss it, just bump one of the numerous other threads about it.

Sleepingrock
12-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Excision! listen to his Shambhala mix

orbit
12-21-2009, 01:55 PM
x5J0xVfHNZs

Lurker_in_a_tree
12-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Ugh. Can't you rally around a musical genre that's not a retarded fad?

wmgaretjax
12-21-2009, 02:26 PM
In all fairness... it's been in full force for a decade... That's not really a fad.

CrimesceneCookie
12-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Just let me know when it's over so I can go out dancing again and not sit on the sidelines watching 6 imbeciles flail around like morons.

wmgaretjax
12-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Just let me know when it's over so I can go out dancing again and not sit on the sidelines watching 6 imbeciles flail around like morons.

I'm not letting you know anything palooka.

jackstraw94086
12-21-2009, 02:46 PM
In all fairness... it's been in full force for a decade... That's not really a fad.

True but it was mostly a UK thing a decade ago. It's only really been significantly noticed here for about 5 years and it's been way overblown for the last 3, reaching it's peak about a year ago. So IMO it qualifies as a fad.

jackstraw94086
12-21-2009, 02:52 PM

The tragic thing about it is that if these guys lay a bit off the massively compressed bass in favor of a bit more rhythmic complexity then it's actually quite danceable. The shit is 140 BPM and ideally you're supposed to feel that speed once in a while. artists like scuba seem to get it IMO. Hit shit is dubstep but he's got a lot of bouncey tops that keep people moving instead of a having a dancefloor full of zombies.

dubstep is best when mixed back and forth with breakbeat. That's how it supposed to be done. These a-holes that just sit at 140 bpm (while making sound like a boring 70bpm) for 60 straight minutes are worthless.

betao
12-21-2009, 03:01 PM
http://noids.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/dubstabz.jpg

chairmenmeow47
12-21-2009, 03:06 PM

a fucking men. you are not controlling the crowd every time you wave your arm, so stop pretending like you are.

and it may be that it's been around for a decade, but i know it wasn't being played out here until the later part of this decade. everyone was wobbling to clownstep before that.

frozen pilgrim
12-21-2009, 03:06 PM
psycho, I love dubstep, I spin dubstep, I get paid to spin dubstep... and you're friggin' killing it for me. stop making new dubstep threads. fucking STOP IT. we get it. you have a nice big dubstep cock, you can name names. you're the board's biggest dubstep fan. you've been officially crowned- you can stop now.

Gribbz
12-21-2009, 03:08 PM
a fucking men. you are not controlling the crowd every time you wave your arm, so stop pretending like you are.

and it may be that it's been around for a decade, but i know it wasn't being played out here until the later part of this decade. everyone was wobbling to clownstep before that.

lol clownstep?

frozen pilgrim
12-21-2009, 03:08 PM
and I agree- white club kids and converted junglists are lousy at dancing to dubstep. people are lacking the rhythm to dance to half-time

jackstraw94086
12-21-2009, 03:09 PM
lol clownstep?

clownstep sounds like muppets fucking.

chairmenmeow47
lol clownstep?

listen to twist 'em out by dillinja.

jackstraw94086
and I agree- white club kids and converted junglists are lousy at dancing to dubstep. people are lacking the rhythm to dance to half-time

XG4zvYyNpUU

Young blood
12-21-2009, 03:28 PM
haha

bullokz
12-21-2009, 05:28 PM
If you dont like it, go to the Trent Reznor jack off thread.

WORD

Awesomesauce.

Best lulz post of the year.

JebusLives
12-21-2009, 06:27 PM
jesus christ another dubstep thread.

digitaldragon03
12-21-2009, 11:43 PM
XG4zvYyNpUU

Posts like these remind me of why im going to hell.

Bud Luster
12-26-2009, 03:43 PM
dubstep is best when mixed back and forth with breakbeat. That's how it supposed to be done. These a-holes that just sit at 140 bpm (while making sound like a boring 70bpm) for 60 straight minutes are worthless.

Jack is right about this. Example given:

http://soundcloud.com/freestylers/freestylers-dj-mix-december-09

This is the Freestylers free mix for December. It is mostly breaks, but has one or two definite dubstep moments that still keep the body moving. It also has some pop-y vocal moments, but is pretty fantastic.

crazzz2007
12-26-2009, 04:05 PM
like i keep trying to tell people, dubstep is not (or at least should not be) its own genre. at most, it is a technique that should be used sparingly.

psychobablec&ndy is a fuking retard.

joppy-slow
12-27-2009, 02:01 PM
dub step is fun and I actually really enjoy dancing to it, but aside from my burial or caspa/rusko cd, I hardly search out new dub step artists. I actually see Trance coming back big time next year.. big time people..

wmgaretjax
12-27-2009, 02:47 PM
that mix posted above is fucking atrocious.

not that i felt i would ever be coming to her defense... but have you guys even listened to that 2562 album? it's fucking incredible.

jazzz
12-27-2009, 02:55 PM
that mix posted above is fucking atrocious.

not that i felt i would ever be coming to her defense... but have you guys even listened to that 2562 album? it's fucking incredible.

Its on my 2009 list!

wmgaretjax
12-27-2009, 03:08 PM
holla!

joppy-slow
12-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Posts like these remind me of why im going to hell.
I will be right in line with you digi.. god.. I love shit like this..

elementquencher
12-27-2009, 07:27 PM
DATSIK.

Oh and if you can't dance to it then that is your own problem...

juloxx
12-28-2009, 01:37 AM
Fool, no one dances to that shit.

Saying that dubstep is "Taking raves and clubs by the neck" is the dumbest statement I have heard in a while. The only thing dub-step is taking by the neck is hipsters ipods.

Granted, dubstep sounds great on drugs.... then again, so do most things.

CrimesceneCookie
12-28-2009, 01:44 AM
DATSIK.

Oh and if you can't dance to it then that is your own problem...

It's not like you can't dance to it, it's that you look like a major asshole doing it.

wmgaretjax
12-28-2009, 01:45 AM
who cares?

mmblack
12-28-2009, 02:49 AM
how did it take 41 posts in this thread for someone to comment on the guy saying crookers are an influential dubstep group? no dude, just no.

jazzz
12-28-2009, 03:01 AM
DUB-Techno is where its at. Pendle Coven etc.

wmgaretjax
12-28-2009, 03:32 AM
7G3bTuHo7qw