PDA

View Full Version : John Frusciante may have quit RHCP

Chaplipman
12-14-2009, 12:36 AM
John Frusciante has left Red Hot Chili Peppers, says source

Band working with guitarist Josh Klinghoffer

Joe Bosso, Sun 13 Dec 2009, 12:39 pm UTC
John Frusciante has left Red Hot Chili Peppers, says source

It would appear that John Frusciante is no longer working with the Red Hot Chili Peppers - so says a source close to the band in an exclusive interview with MusicRadar.

"Josh Klinghoffer has been playing with the group for a couple of months now," says the source. "Optimistically, the Peppers are trying to lock down a replacement for John, who has apparently quit.

"Mentally, John checked out a long time ago. He's interested in doing his own thing, his own albums - the whole big rock band machinery just doesn't appeal to him anymore."

The news that Frusciante has quit can hardly be viewed as surprising. During a podcast interview with MusicRadar earlier this year, the guitarist was lost for words during a routine question about the status of the group. He paused for nearly 30 seconds (later edited) before awkwardly stating that the Peppers had "no plans."

Frusciante also refused to be introduced to be as 'guitarist for the Red Hot Chili Peppers,' preferring instead to be called, simply, 'guitarist.'

Josh Klinghoffer (right) appearing with Flea and Bob Forrest at the 5th Annual MusiCares MAP Fund Benefit Concert last May. Image: © Katy Winn/Corbis
Frusciante up and quit before

This wouldn't be the first time Frusciante has split from the band: Overwhelmed by the success of Blood Sugar Sex Magik, he quit in 1992 and descended into heroin addiction. After kicking drugs cold turkey, he rejoined the Peppers in 1999 for the album Californication (the group had fired his replacement, Dave Navarro, a year earlier).

Still, the past decade hasn't been an easy ride for Frusciante. Intensely private, he has issued a number of wildly experimental, introspective solo recordings - a stark contrast to the over-the-top, circus-like antics of life in the Chili Peppers. Rumors of his commitment to the band resurfaced late last month when, during an interview with Classic Rock magazine, drummer Chad Smith, responding to a question about Frusciante's involvement, stated: "Well...at this time I can't talk about that. I have been told to stay away from the John questions."

"The big thing right now that the band will have to consider is, Can Josh write great songs? Can he help push them forward?" A source close to the Red Hot Chili Peppers on Josh Klinghoffer, who is said to be working with the group

Klinghoffer's a well-liked LA player

Oddly enough, Klinghoffer is not only friends with the Chili Peppers but with Fruscinate as well. "Josh has been on everybody's radar for quite some time," says the source. "He's extremely popular within a certain circle of LA musicians.

"The big thing right now that the band will have to consider is, Can Josh write great songs? Can he help push them forward? Everybody knows he can play, but the Peppers need somebody who can come up with amazing material and get them moving again."

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/john-frusciante-has-left-red-hot-chili-peppers-says-source-229551

Didn't really care for their new stuff, but Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik is a personal favorite.

Neutral Milk Hotel
12-14-2009, 12:49 AM
Yeesh. Let The Mars Volta have him.

PJandBompton
12-14-2009, 01:11 AM
thank god. i no longer have any reason to like that shitty ass band...

Devin the Dude
12-14-2009, 01:13 AM
even Frusciante can't repair that trainwreck of a band.

edit: The Mars Volta*

humanoid
12-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Frusciante is far too talented to stay with those guys forever

yes, the rest of them, save Kiedis, are talented as well...he could just do something a lot more interesting with his talent

Still-ill
12-14-2009, 01:21 AM
Oh.

Devin the Dude
12-14-2009, 01:31 AM
Frusciante is far too talented to stay with those guys forever

yes, the rest of them, save Kiedis, are talented as well...he could just do something a lot more interesting with his talent

i disagree. look at what he HAS done with his talent. those solo albums are weak at best; The Mars Volta stint has been interesting but Frusciante's not a babysitter. his best days were obviously with the Chili Peppers.

Still-ill
12-14-2009, 01:34 AM
I heard he's going to be the new touring guitarist for Wire.

humanoid
12-14-2009, 01:35 AM
i disagree. look at what he HAS done with his talent. those solo albums are weak at best; The Mars Volta stint has been interesting but Frusciante's not a babysitter. his best days were obviously with the Chili Peppers.

you know what, i don't really care enough to debate the subject

Devin the Dude
12-14-2009, 01:52 AM
fair enough, me neither. settled. nobody cares about john frusciante.

seandlr
12-14-2009, 02:24 AM
So if there is going to be a new RHCP album, which seems pretty evident, its going to suck with out John, just as One Red Hot Minute did, with some songs that serve as exceptions. With out John, Keidis' voice will stick out like a sore thumb. Oh well. Stadium Arcadium pretty much sucked anyways.

stinkbutt
12-14-2009, 03:23 AM
I'll take One Hot Minute over Stadium Arcadium or By The Way any day

Maybe even Californication

Chaplipman
12-14-2009, 04:01 AM
I never understood the hate for Californication. It's not completely suck ass.

superfiction
12-14-2009, 04:35 AM
good. im glad he's leaving that band before they completely tank into the abyss

suprefan
12-14-2009, 06:38 AM
So if he is leaving, how will they do the Neil Young tribute show in January?

shotglass75
12-14-2009, 06:48 AM
with a different guitarist

superfiction
12-14-2009, 06:49 AM
they already had 2 guitarists when they played coachella a few years ago didnt they?

TallGuyCM
12-14-2009, 07:03 AM
just as One Red Hot Minute did

You're literally the 10th or so person I've heard of that adds a "Red" into the title of that album. I don't know why people do that, it's just One Hot Minute.

paulthomasanderson
12-14-2009, 07:58 AM
It's Californication, part 2. Oh wait, nope, this time it's for good. Well thank god for this.

bmack86
12-14-2009, 08:40 AM
I heard he's going to be the new touring guitarist for Wire.

That would be horrible. Can you picture Ex-Lion Tamer with a guitar solo?

LeK5Y
12-14-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm really hoping this isn't true. I enjoy his work with RHCP.

Still-ill
12-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Apparently he would just play the parts as is, not change a single note. Although the guy who told me this made it seem like John was up for it more so then the band was. I guess he's just inquiring.

microcuts
12-14-2009, 10:20 AM
I never understood the hate for Californication. It's not completely suck ass.

I can honestly say it's my favorite album of theirs. Not that there's loads of competition or anything.

yeahfontaine
12-14-2009, 10:26 AM
even Frusciante can't repair that trainwreck of a band.

edit: The Mars Volta*

Should've left it as is. It'd be WAY more accurate about the sold-out shitty RHCP.

cristóbal
12-14-2009, 10:27 AM
I love his solo albums eons more than his RHCP albums. It would be a godsend if he played a solo set at Coachella or anywhere for that matter. Empyrean was great too.

Gribbz
12-14-2009, 10:33 AM
John's cover of "Maybe" by The Chantels is pretty great.

PJandBompton
12-14-2009, 11:49 AM
I can honestly say it's my favorite album of theirs. Not that there's loads of competition or anything.

exactly.

sbessiso
12-14-2009, 02:59 PM

Same here. I was in transition from 6th to 7th grade and the album just blew me away. Listened to it non-stop, it was so good in fact that I couldnt bring myself to listen to their next releases because I just knew there was no chance of it being as good as californication

blood sugar sex magic is a close second though

Devin the Dude
12-14-2009, 03:03 PM
wait we're the same age?

zomg

sbessiso
12-14-2009, 03:08 PM
hell yea cowboy

frozen pilgrim
12-14-2009, 03:10 PM
the other guy was with them at coachella in 2007, I predicted then that he'd eventually replace john. the resemblance between the new dude and john at 17 is fucking uncanny