PDA

View Full Version : Which US city produced the best music?

liquidsnake28
12-12-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm partial to Detroit. What do you think?

bleep
12-12-2009, 10:19 PM
New York.

wmgaretjax
12-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Ann Arbor

canexplain
12-12-2009, 10:25 PM
LA but they are all imports .... cr****

liquidsnake28
12-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Seriously? Is that just because of Wolf Eyes or are there actually a plethora of good bands from that college town?

Monklish
12-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Tim, exactly what acts do you like from Detroit besides Motown, Em, and I guess The White Stripes? Curious.

bmack86
12-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Minneapolis/St. Paul had a hot streak in the 80s

PJandBompton
12-12-2009, 10:36 PM
New York SHITTED on everyone this year...and I hate NY...but damn look at the talent out of there...

LA Hip-Hop was REALLY REALLY good this year too, a few acts from there that will blow next year, Nipsey Hussle, Dom Kennedy, Pac Div, U-N-I and The Game is coming out with an album produced by Dre...LA is gonna be huge next year...

wmgaretjax
12-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Seriously? Is that just because of Wolf Eyes or are there actually a plethora of good bands from that college town?

Lots of noise. Lots.

Not just Wolf Eyes (although they seemed to be the starting point).

I bet the town sucks though.

Monklish
12-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Awesome... noise.

Ugh.

canexplain
12-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Lots of noise. Lots.

Not just Wolf Eyes (although they seemed to be the starting point).

I bet the town sucks though.

It used to be one of the great radical towns of the US like Boulder .... cr****

PassiveTheory
12-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Not San Diego.

PJandBompton
12-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Not San Diego.

shut the fuck up dude, because Santa Cruz produced so much right?

wmgaretjax
12-12-2009, 10:59 PM
It used to be one of the great radical towns of the US like Boulder .... cr****

Boulder was radical? Whoa. I knew it was the only real democratic pocket in colorado, but I'd never heard of it described as radical.

theburiedlife
12-12-2009, 11:04 PM
New York, Portland (OR).

WizardIsAboutToDie
12-12-2009, 11:04 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:AYhANQudl3zcXM:http://www.delawareonline.com/blogs/uploaded_images/CHICAGO-2006-color-752999.jpg

liquidsnake28
12-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Tim, exactly what acts do you like from Detroit besides Motown, Em, and I guess The White Stripes? Curious.

Well first of all Motown encompasses tons of good music but:

P-Funk
Iggy and the Stooges
MC5
Sufjan Stevens
Esham
ICP
Stevie Wonder
J Dilla
The Four Tops
Aaliyhah
Madonna
Marvin Gaye

Monklish
12-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Well first of all Motown encompasses tons of good music but:

P-Funk
Iggy and the Stooges
MC5
Sufjan Stevens
Esham
ICP
Stevie Wonder
J Dilla
The Four Tops
Aaliyhah
Madonna
Marvin Gaye

... right, yeah I can see why that would win, clearly. Just fucking ridiculous, Tim.

Does Madonna really count though? Are we counting the place you were born or the place you came out of? She moved to NY at 21.

liquidsnake28
12-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Give me the NYC list, then we'll talk. You've already clearly explained the lack of good LA music. Chicago? Eh, not that great. Fire away with NYC.

Monklish
12-12-2009, 11:40 PM
I'll just copy from some list I found:

velvet underground
duke ellington
miles davis
public enemy
billie holiday
run dmc
ella fitzgerald
Blondie
Talking Heads
Wu Tang
Biggie
Big Pun
Nas
Interpol
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Paul Simon (& Garfunkel)
Tribe Called Quest
Eric B
Rakim
Bob Dylan
The Strokes
TV On The Radio

(Several shitty acts such as Beastie Boys and Sonic Youth were left off on purpose)

paulthomasanderson
12-12-2009, 11:42 PM
I'll just copy from some list I found:

velvet underground
duke ellington
miles davis
public enemy
billie holiday
run dmc
ella fitzgerald
Blondie
Talking Heads
Wu Tang
Biggie
Big Pun
Nas
Interpol
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Paul Simon (& Garfunkel)
Tribe Called Quest
Eric B
Rakim
Bob Dylan
The Strokes
TV On The Radio

(Several shitty acts such as Beastie Boys and Sonic Youth were left off on purpose)

The hell are you thinking leaving Artie in parenthesis like that, Randy?

PassiveTheory
12-12-2009, 11:48 PM
shut the fuck up dude, because Santa Cruz produced so much right?

Not really.

Granted, I'll take Comets on Fire and The Devil Makes Three over Switchfoot, POD, As I Lay Dying, Waaavvvveessssssss and Nick Cannon any day.

liquidsnake28
12-12-2009, 11:48 PM
I still think it's close. NYC is not a clear winner. The only impressive standouts are VU, Talking Heads, Wu, and YYY's.

Gribbz
12-12-2009, 11:51 PM
I still think it's close. NYC is not a clear winner. The only impressive standouts are VU, Talking Heads, Wu, and YYY's.

Uhh Duke Ellington?

Monklish
12-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Dude, you had Motown (wide a collection as it is), Stooges, Marvin Gaye, Em, and The White Strikes. Those are the only good things on that list. Sorry, you don't compete.

PJandBompton
12-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Not really.

Granted, I'll take Comets on Fire and The Devil Makes Three over Switchfoot, POD, As I Lay Dying, Waaavvvveessssssss and Nick Cannon any day.

i cannot even argue this haha and the worst thing is you forgot Slightly Stoopid hahaha

PassiveTheory
12-12-2009, 11:59 PM
i cannot even argue this haha and the worst thing is you forgot Slightly Stoopid hahaha

That or I left em' there just for you to bury yourself deeper.

PJandBompton
12-13-2009, 12:03 AM
That or I left em' there just for you to bury yourself deeper.

the bands like

Crocodiles
Grand Ole Party (RIP)
The Feelings Mutual
Get Back Loretta
Crashencore
Silent Comedy
Jamuel Saxon
Tape Deck Mountain

definitely make up for the shit though

Monklish
12-13-2009, 12:04 AM
Sweet bands nobody's ever heard of, bra.

PJandBompton
12-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Sweet bands nobody's ever heard of, bra.

thanks, "bro".

if you were from SD you would have heard of them.

it's unfortunate that our shitty bands are the ones that represent us...

Monklish
12-13-2009, 12:08 AM
If I was from SD I would hope I would have killed myself long before now.

PassiveTheory
12-13-2009, 12:11 AM
I can tell you, without a doubt, that most people in San Diego have never heard of those bands. If any, they may have heard of Crocodiles (unfortunately not Grand Ole Party), but even if people had heard of those bands, there's just no making up for Slightly Stoopid. Not even Pinback makes up for that.

PJandBompton
12-13-2009, 12:16 AM
I can tell you, without a doubt, that most people in San Diego have never heard of those bands. If any, they may have heard of Crocodiles (unfortunately not Grand Ole Party), but even if people had heard of those bands, there's just no making up for Slightly Stoopid. Not even Pinback makes up for that.

the only bands under the radar here i listed are Tape Deck Mountain, Jamuel Saxon and Feelings Mutual...Feelings Mutual is gonna be huge, i have no doubt, easily one of my favorite bands...

And I worked at the Che last year and GOP was definitely known about, easy sell out...GBL and Silent Comedy also get big crowds whenever they play...

I can see where you are coming from Passive but we do have some really good bands here...just takes some looking through the shit and if you want some recommendations i will definitely offer some

canexplain
12-13-2009, 12:20 AM
I haven't seen San Francisco mentioned yet. They have a great history of music.

wmgaretjax: I mean radical in a good way. Political and other ways.

cr****

Here is a list of a hundred or so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bands_from_the_San_Francisco_Bay_Area

bmack86
12-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Cmon, the answer is so obviously New York. No other city has supported artists of such breadth and talent.

wmgaretjax
12-13-2009, 12:21 AM
wmgaretjax: I mean radical in a good way.

ya. i know.

PJandBompton
12-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Cmon, the answer is so obviously New York. No other city has supported artists of such breadth and talent.

once again not only did New York DOMINATE this year but overall...and i HATE NEW YORK CITY

liquidsnake28
12-13-2009, 12:25 AM
i HATE NEW YORK CITY

you ARE A MORON

pancakespancakes
12-13-2009, 12:26 AM
OH MY GOD we talk about San Diego's music scene so fucking much on this board I have no idea why.

pancakespancakes
12-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Oh. And New York.

But considering it has the population of 3 other major cities put together, I dunno, of course it would produce the most music... is it actually worth discussing? Can we move on to the #2 city for which there is significant competition?

PJandBompton
12-13-2009, 12:28 AM
OH MY GOD we talk about San Diego's music scene so fucking much on this board I have no idea why.

Because Passive constantly brings it up and i constantly defend it...

PJandBompton
12-13-2009, 12:29 AM
you ARE A MORON

thank you. i call it the product of my dad being from Boston. ;)

GrossMagic
12-13-2009, 12:59 AM
I think LA would be the obvious #2 for best produced music. But then again it could be #1.

Theres always that battle between East and West.

psycobetabuckdown
12-13-2009, 01:03 AM
I haven't seen San Francisco mentioned yet. They have a great history of music.

wmgaretjax: I mean radical in a good way. Political and other ways.

cr****

Here is a list of a hundred or so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bands_from_the_San_Francisco_Bay_Area

I didn't know about BMRC and Joanna Newsom. Yeah there's a lot of great stuff from the Bay Area (some shit too of course, but that's the same for anywhere).

I thought we had claim over Metallica. What gives?

Still-ill
12-13-2009, 01:03 AM
1986-1995
Chicago.

bmack86
12-13-2009, 01:18 AM
Joanna Newsom's not really from San Francisco. She played around there at the start of her career, but she's from Nevada City

psycobetabuckdown
12-13-2009, 01:24 AM
ah ok

juloxx
12-13-2009, 01:34 AM
Los Angeles

/thread.

theburiedlife
12-13-2009, 01:41 AM
Not San Diego.

Lee, this isn't another thread where you get to point out how much you don't like San Diego.

shotglass75
12-13-2009, 09:15 AM
1986-1995
Chicago.

THANK YOU!!!

plus Chicago Blues had a huge influence on bands like The Stones and Zeppelin. Not saying we're the best but I'd like to think at some point we have pretty close at one point or another.

send me ctrpllrs
12-13-2009, 12:30 PM
the bands like

Crocodiles
Grand Ole Party (RIP)
The Feelings Mutual
Get Back Loretta
Crashencore
Silent Comedy
Jamuel Saxon
Tape Deck Mountain

definitely make up for the shit though

Seeing Get Back Loretta and/or The Silent Comedy never gets old, I've seen them like 14 and 5 times respectively. It's a shame more people don't know them, wonderful bands and such energy live.

Monklish
12-13-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm just curious--what the fuck happened in Chicago between 1986 and 1995?

canexplain
12-13-2009, 12:36 PM
THANK YOU!!!

plus Chicago Blues had a huge influence on bands like The Stones and Zeppelin. Not saying we're the best but I'd like to think at some point we have pretty close at one point or another.

Good point .... cr****

juloxx
12-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Long Beach is wassap too

gaypalmsprings
12-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Clovis, NM: Buddy Holly - The Fireballs

Still-ill
12-13-2009, 12:44 PM

Off the top of my head:
Slint
Wilco
the Jesus Lizard
Big Black
Rodan

Some others to note that might interest others:
Tortoise
Smashing Pumpkins

Few of these bands were Chicago born and bred though... they just gravitated there from other midwest towns.

pancakespancakes
12-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Isn't Slint from Louisville, KY? That was always a small part about why I liked them...

pancakespancakes
12-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Speaking of which, Slint + Will Oldham + My Morning Jacket = kickass little town.

Monklish
12-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Off the top of my head:
Slint
Wilco
the Jesus Lizard
Big Black
Rodan

Some others to note that might interest others:
Tortoise
Smashing Pumpkins

Few of these bands were Chicago born and bred though... they just gravitated there from other midwest towns.

So like two bands anyone actually cares about? Okay, cool.

JSam67
12-13-2009, 02:17 PM
I feel like Seattle is a strong second to New York. Especially if you enjoyed grunge.

canexplain
12-13-2009, 02:22 PM
I feel like Seattle is a strong second to New York. Especially if you enjoyed grunge.

I think by far they had the best grunge, but as far as sheer numbers of bands, I don't think Seattle is there. cr****

canexplain
12-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Sorry Rage, but as far as big name bands, as a country, Canada really sucks. They did give us Neil though and that is a big plus.... cr****

PJandBompton
12-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Sorry Rage, but as far as big name bands, as a country, Canada really sucks. They did give us Neil though and that is a big plus.... cr****

Neil and Arcade Fire

hendrixfan143
12-13-2009, 02:48 PM
New York and DC

psycobetabuckdown
12-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Minneapolis

bmack86
12-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Minneapolis/St. Paul produces more good music than you'd ever expect.

psycobetabuckdown
12-13-2009, 03:15 PM
nice place too

Monklish
12-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Like what, Bmack?

liquidsnake28
12-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Paging stinkbutt. I really don't know about MN either. I'm curious.

Rhymesayers blow so don't mention Atmosphere, etc.

PassiveTheory
12-13-2009, 03:32 PM
I have a hunch Bmack is referring to The Replacements, Husker Du and The Hold Steady, among others.

mountmccabe
12-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Does Madonna really count though? Are we counting the place you were born or the place you came out of? She moved to NY at 21.

Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, Bob Dylan... all also not born in NY.

And the Hold Steady have moved to NY, does that make them a NY band? Are the Shins from Seattle or New Mexico? Are Wilco from St. Louis or Chicago?

Basically I wouldn't count any of those folks as being from NY and would count those bands as being from where they started.

And seriously, NY still winds this hands down.

wmgaretjax
12-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Shins are kinda Portland now I think...

shotglass75
12-13-2009, 08:51 PM

I don't think we were ever a HUGE deal but Chicago has had it's share of influence on the music world. Chicago House is pretty much where Chemical Bros. Fatboy, Underworld, and many many other DJ's got their influence and some other major players got their start. I would imagine Ministry and that underground scene that was here was probably one of the bigger influences for Industrial. I mentioned before that Chicago Blues was huge for bands like Zep and The Stones way back in the day.

One other thing just to throw it out there for shits and giggles.

Local H - Chicago band. Love 'em

wmgaretjax
12-13-2009, 08:54 PM
All y'all talking about chicago must be forgetting that it's been pretty much the core of the improvised music scene for the last 20 years. even if everyone don't necessarily come from there, they all go there to perform and jam with people that are from there.

Still-ill
12-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Isn't Slint from Louisville, KY? That was always a small part about why I liked them...

yep. So is Rodan, high-school buddies actually.

Monklish
12-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, Bob Dylan... all also not born in NY.

And the Hold Steady have moved to NY, does that make them a NY band? Are the Shins from Seattle or New Mexico? Are Wilco from St. Louis or Chicago?

Basically I wouldn't count any of those folks as being from NY and would count those bands as being from where they started.

And seriously, NY still winds this hands down.

I just don't think that you can claim the place someone was born. Lots of people were born in various places and then moved to cities in order to start their music career. The town you were based in when you broke kinda ought to define it, but there's a lot of grey area there. Madonna was in NY for the years leading up to her debut and for most of her early success. So I just don't see her as as a non-NY born act, even though she was a non-NY born person.

stinkbutt
12-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Paging stinkbutt. I really don't know about MN either. I'm curious.

Rhymesayers blow so don't mention Atmosphere, etc.

Honestly there is only like 4 local bands I enjoy but we did have a good run in the 80s. I'm really curious what bmack is talking about. I personally don't really care for The Hold Steady. Tapes N Tapes are from here but they only had 1 good album

Devin the Dude
12-13-2009, 09:18 PM
nobody for New Orleans?

i vote Los Angeles, but i like really, really bad music.

liquidsnake28
12-13-2009, 09:19 PM
New Orleans is second after Detroit for me.

summerkid
12-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Like what, Bmack?

Bob Dylan
Prince
The Replacements
Husker Du
The Hold Steady
Atmosphere
The Jayhawks

off the top of my head.

Devin the Dude
12-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Atmosphere is actually points AGAINST that claim.

stinkbutt
12-13-2009, 09:24 PM
He had some good albums just not anymore

Monklish
12-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Bob Dylan
Prince
The Replacements
Husker Du
The Hold Steady
Atmosphere
The Jayhawks

off the top of my head.

Again, sorry, but Dylan doesn't count. Dylan rose up in Greenwich Village.

stinkbutt
12-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Uh Dylan was booed off stage in Hibbing and swore he'd never go back so he was already making music here

Monklish
12-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Uh Dylan was booed off stage in Hibbing and swore he'd never go back so he was already making music here

... right, and MN drove him away to NY where people recognized his talent. Any bio of Dylan discusses how when he got to Greenwich he hit his stride and started making the music that supposedly defined a generation.

summerkid
12-13-2009, 10:18 PM
... right, and MN drove him away to NY where people recognized his talent. Any bio of Dylan discusses how when he got to Greenwich he hit his stride and started making the music that supposedly defined a generation.

He started performing under the name Bob Dylan in Minnesota so he counts.

mountmccabe
12-14-2009, 07:16 AM
I just don't think that you can claim the place someone was born. Lots of people were born in various places and then moved to cities in order to start their music career. The town you were based in when you broke kinda ought to define it, but there's a lot of grey area there. Madonna was in NY for the years leading up to her debut and for most of her early success. So I just don't see her as as a non-NY born act, even though she was a non-NY born person.

I can see your point but it still seems weird. It seems like that is answering the question "where do people go to get noticed and make it big" and I don't know how much I care about that answer. Maybe more than I am thinking right now, but, I dunno.

The mention of Chicago Blues made me think the same things. At what point was it that there were any "Chicago" Bluesmen actually from Chicago? Or the Midwest, even? Elmore James, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Willie Dixion were all from Mississippi. Junior Wells and Buddy Guy were from the South, too.

Honestly, shit, the answer here - based on where folks are from - may be Mississippi. Robert Johnson, Charley Patton, Son House, Skip James, John Lee Hooker, BB King, Mississippi John Hurt, Bo Diddley, Jimmie Rodgers, Elvis Presley, Lance Bass...

mountmccabe
12-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Shins are kinda Portland now I think...

That's right, I said the wrong Pacific Northwest city.

Also I have decided that these arguments are dumb. People/bands can count two/mulitple places. Saying I'm from Michigan doesn't cover it any more than saying I'm from Arizona does. Both states get to count me.

So both New York and Minnesota can have Bob Dylan.

disgustipated
12-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Clovis, NM: Buddy Holly - The Fireballs

Buddy Holly is from Lubbock, TX. He just recorded "that'll be the day"in NM.

TallGuyCM
12-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Recently, New York has dominated.

TV on the Radio
Dirty Projectors
Animal Collective (Baltimore, but are based in NY now)
Vampire Weekend (not the best, but brought the NY scene back into the spotlight)
Jay-Z

bmack86
12-14-2009, 09:41 AM
John, thank you for including Lance Bass

JebusLives
12-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Many cities have musical movements... Seattle in the early 90s, Manchester in the mid 80s etc. New York always has cool music going on.

caco0283
12-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Minneapolis/St. Paul had a hot streak in the 80s

Its coming back with that hit single Egg nog

http://www.myspace.com/bugmuzak

AlecEiffel
12-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Many cities have musical movements... Seattle in the early 90s, Manchester in the mid 80s etc. New York always has cool music going on.

Pretty much this. Tons of cities have periods of being exceptional, but New York more or less always has something worthwhile going on.

canexplain
12-14-2009, 11:15 AM
For a number of years Philly had a lot of bands on the radio but I think that has long passed ... cr****

TomAz
12-14-2009, 12:15 PM

This is so obviously true I am amazed anyone could seriously debate it. I mean from jazz in the 40s and 50s, to the folk revival, to 60s rock and the velvets, to the NY dolls, to the punk/wave thing (Patty Smith, Talking Heads, Ramones), to hip hop, etc etc etc. I mean the only other city on the planet that might compete would be London, and I still think NY wins.

Los Angeles

/thread.

A shallow argument for a shallow city. A brilliant bit of concise posting, simultaneously ironic and absurd. Well done.

canexplain
12-14-2009, 12:18 PM
This is so obviously true I am amazed anyone could seriously debate it. I mean from jazz in the 40s and 50s, to the folk revival, to 60s rock and the velvets, to the NY dolls, to the punk/wave thing (Patty Smith, Talking Heads, Ramones), to hip hop, etc etc etc. I mean the only other city on the planet that might compete would be London, and I still think NY wins.

A shallow argument for a shallow city. A brilliant bit of concise posting, simultaneously ironic and absurd. Well done.

I agree with London and the burbs there Tom. This is just for the US but London would give any US city a run for their money. cr****

thizzin my brains out
12-14-2009, 12:38 PM
bay area muhfuckas

Gribbz
12-14-2009, 12:39 PM
You can't really argue with The Hyphy movement.

Monklish
12-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Sure ya can, fuck hyphy.

bmack86
12-14-2009, 12:58 PM
I would never argue LA as having produced the best music, but it has produced some amazing stuff. New York is just better for nurturing artistic growth and allowing for scenes to grow quickly

humanoid
12-14-2009, 12:59 PM

it's clearly NY in my mind

TomAz
12-14-2009, 01:06 PM
I would never argue LA as having produced the best music, but it has produced some amazing stuff. New York is just better for nurturing artistic growth and allowing for scenes to grow quickly

NY has a 60+ year track record of being on the leading edge of new scene after new scene after new scene. I'm not sure what LA was ever the leading edge of? Other than mellow 70s country-rock?

Monklish
12-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Maybe psychedelia? I dunno. LA's generated some good bands over the years, but yes, everywhere sucks hind teet compared to NY. In part because it's the biggest city in the country. But more because the rest of you are douchebags.

bmack86
12-14-2009, 01:15 PM
I think also a large part of it, especially in the 70s, was that there was so much housing available for so cheap. You could live there for virtually nothing, which meant you could pursue making music for a long time without really worrying about paying the bills. it's a good set up.

Yeah, LA had a fantastic Psych scene in the 60s, one of the best early garage scenes, the whole country rock thing, the first (and best) hardcore scene, a killer punk scene, the whole 90s Silverlake Beck-centric sampledelic stuff, Gangsta rap and the response to gangsta rap with the whole jazz hop stuff. That's off the top of my head.

LA also had Hair Metaland Nu-Metal largely coming out of it. That's indefensible

canexplain
12-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Off topic, but I guess you can add this to my supposed racist posts. I fucking hate anything Bollywood. cr****

canexplain
12-14-2009, 01:17 PM
I think also a large part of it, especially in the 70s, was that there was so much housing available for so cheap. You could live there for virtually nothing, which meant you could pursue making music for a long time without really worrying about paying the bills. it's a good set up.

Yeah, LA had a fantastic Psych scene in the 60s, one of the best early garage scenes, the whole country rock thing, the first (and best) hardcore scene, a killer punk scene, the whole 90s Silverlake Beck-centric sampledelic stuff, Gangsta rap and the response to gangsta rap with the whole jazz hop stuff. That's off the top of my head.

LA also had Hair Metaland Nu-Metal largely coming out of it. That's indefensible

Agree, you don't have to like some of the music to say LA has put out a lot of music we all know. cr****

TomAz
12-14-2009, 01:25 PM

ok that's a fair response. though was there really a 'sampledelic' scene or was it just a few folks with gadgets?

Egull
12-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Sure ya can, fuck hyphy.

I don't think they know that's my worrrrrrd.

bmack86
12-14-2009, 01:47 PM
ok that's a fair response. though was there really a 'sampledelic' scene or was it just a few folks with gadgets?

I guess there were quite a few smaller bands that did it around here. It was a big cross section with the anti-folk guys that beck started out with.

Raptor Clinton
12-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Right now LA is going strong. No Age, HEALTH, Abe Vigoda, the Mae Shi... and by LA I mean the Smell.

mountmccabe
12-14-2009, 04:14 PM
-the Mae Shi.

bmack86
12-14-2009, 04:15 PM
+Signals. They're so much fun, and they're writing really good stuff.

Raptor Clinton
12-14-2009, 06:46 PM
I haven't kept up with Signals, but I did see Man's Assassination Man (two of the guitarists from the Mae Shi plus two other guys) open for These Are Powers a little while ago, and it was so-so. I'll definitely check out Signals now, though.

Also: Silver Daggers, Lucky Dragons, David Scott Stone, the Antarcticans, Mika Miko and Hello Astronaut Goodby Television would have been on that list but other than Mika Miko I don't think people outside of LA really know much about those bands, which would defeat the purpose of mentioning them. I could be totally wrong, though.

nolanisbomb
12-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Portland needs consideration

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-14-2009, 09:46 PM
the Antarcticans

These guys are great! i forgot about them...i have a CD somewhere i need to dig it up. My friends The Outer Seventh played several shows with them at The Scene in Glendale. They put on a great show and are really nice people

Raptor Clinton
12-14-2009, 10:12 PM
These guys are great! i forgot about them...i have a CD somewhere i need to dig it up. My friends The Outer Seventh played several shows with them at The Scene in Glendale. They put on a great show and are really nice people

For sooth! They are currently kinda on hiatus right now which I'm kind of bummed about. You're right about them being super nice, though! Some of the nicest folks around. It's kind of a shame that they are so under the radar. They've been doing their thing since way before anyone knew who Godspeed You! Black Emperor or Mogwai were. Not that one would have known it, because they are a bit slow to record... didn't even release anything until... 2004? They've been doing shows together forever, though. Teach Children: Fear All Teachings of Eternity is an album I listen to all the time.

TomAz
12-15-2009, 12:32 PM
For sooth? Did you just step out of a Kenneth Branaugh period-costume piece?

Leeartlee
12-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Just based on pure volume alone, it's obviously a close match between LA and NYC. But if it's a ratio of quality vs. quantity I'm not sure... maybe Portland, OR?

algunz
12-15-2009, 12:54 PM
It is threads like these that salvage the board this time of year. Thank you.

NYC :2c

TomAz
12-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Just based on pure volume alone, it's obviously a close match between LA and NYC.

The need for Californians to continually tell themselves that they are worthy always catches me off guard. It's like an entire state full of Stuart Smalleys.

Leeartlee
12-15-2009, 03:12 PM
It's not ego, California just has a shit load of people. That stacks the odds in our favor. Plus, LA is just a place people congregate to get their music careers off the ground (what with all the promotors, labels, clubs, venues, etc being there).

bmack86
12-15-2009, 03:36 PM
I love LA, it's never produced the best music.

mountmccabe
12-15-2009, 03:47 PM
To be fair Leeartlee said nothing about quality music.

Though why anyone would care about sheer quantity of music... I don't know.