PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Contract Problems???

humanoid
12-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Does anyone have any experience with cell phone contract issues?

3 months ago, someone stole my daughter's phone, which she wasn't using anymore. I called T-Mobile to place a hold on the phone line so they couldn't use it. It was an extra phone line, so i didn't think much about it. When I spoke to them on the phone to place the hold, I thought they told me that after 30 days, the line would be reactivated.

Well, they deactivated it, and are now trying to charge me a $200.00 early termination fee. I talked to them hoping to work this out reasonably, as I never canceled the extra line, and am willing to pay the$9.99 fee for the remainder of my contract. Apparently, if a line is deactivated, it can be reactivated at no charge within 90 days. I called on the 92nd day, so they basically read from the script and said, "we're really sorry sir, we understand your view, but the system won't let us reactivate your line after 90 days. We'd be happy to waive that $200.00 fee for you if you'll commit to a new 2 year contract." Yeah, fucking right! You'll do me the favor of waiving a fee for something that was not my request by strong arming me into a new 2 year contract.

I understand the reason for the early termination fees. They cover themselves so that people don't get discounted phones when signing up, then bail on the monthly fees. First of all, I didn't cancel anything. Second, the only thing they hadn't gotten out of me was 3 months of the $9.99 extra line fee....plus, Sept was already the 19th month of my 24 month commitment. I was still paying my overall bill, including the extra minutes that went along with having 3 phone lines...

I've been a T-Mobile customer for 5 years, but apparently they'd rather have $200 than continue receiving my $1600 a year. I know that's an absolute drop in the bucket to a global corporation, but that's rather terrible customer service where I come from.

"We're sorry sir, but fuck yourself, and send us $200.00"

I guess I may be forced into paying the $200, but there is no way I will spend another cent with T-Mobile once my contract is up in February....and I will advise everyone I know to avoid them as well.

Does anyone have any experience with this that has any insight or advice? Or am I simply fucked?

Young blood
12-11-2009, 02:33 PM
When did you start the contract on her phone?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/2008/06/tmobile_eases_early_terminatio.html

humanoid
12-11-2009, 02:34 PM
February 2008

Young blood
12-11-2009, 02:34 PM
http://consumerist.com/2009/08/tmobile-raising-overage-rates-901---cancel-without-fee.html

humanoid
12-11-2009, 02:43 PM
interesting, thanks...looks like I had bad timing...I'm gonna spend the next several hours continuing to read up on this stuff before calling them back again

Young blood
12-11-2009, 02:50 PM
T-mobilecocksuckers got me to pay ETF for canceling a day early on a year contract. I hope the burn in hell.

humanoid
12-11-2009, 03:02 PM
yeah it's pretty fucked up, I didn't even try and cancel....someone stole the phone, I put a hold on it....and their system canceled me

I hope they burn in hell twice...for you and I