PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat Damaged takes Manhattan

Somewhat Damaged
12-10-2009, 08:52 PM
So next Wednesday, my movie Somewhat Damaged will be playing at NewFilmmakers NY. I and captncrzy will be in attendance and I'm looking forward to spending a full day in New York this time as opposed to just walking the streets for a few hours at night. I'm also hoping that any board members who live in or near NYC can attend.

When: Wednesday, December 16 (6:00 - 11:00)
Where: 32 2nd Avenue, New York, NY 10003
Cost: $6.00

Any recommendations on where to eat or get some alcohol? Has it started snowing yet? Gonshman, being from Arizona yourself, how rude an awakening is it going to be from the temperatures we're experiencing here?

malcolmjamalawesome
12-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Hey congrats, man!

unknown
12-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Have fun you two and safe travels!

PlayaDelWes
12-10-2009, 09:33 PM
That's cool. Have fun. Hopefully you make it there...

stuporfly
12-11-2009, 06:05 AM
As of this moment, my girlfriend and I are planning to make it to the screening. I'd wear my ridiculous "stuporfly" tracktop someone gave me, but it's too fucking cold.

The surrounding area has gotten hit with snow, but we've been spared in the city. Even so, winter is very much upon us.

If you're looking to stick close to the screening, Katz's Delicatessen (http://www.katzdeli.com/) is a landmark, and is also a worthy spot to grab a cheap nosh. You're also pretty close to one of my favorite bars in the city, Motor City Bar (http://www.motorcitybar.com/), where I would happily meet you for a pre-screening drink. Moby's place TeaNY (https://www.teany.com/) is over there, too.

higgybaby23
12-11-2009, 06:09 AM
Good luck and have a blast! Don't bring anymore cold weather back to AZ, lulz.

Monklish
12-11-2009, 06:11 AM
If next Wednesday is anything like today you're going to shit your pants just for the warmth.

I'd come up but I have myself on house arrest to deal with all the quitting smoking/drinking/drugs I'm doing for this blood clot. Sorry mate.

gaypalmsprings
12-11-2009, 06:21 AM
This is your movie?

http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi3590521369/

canexplain
12-11-2009, 06:31 AM
That's way cool. One day can we say "we knew him when ..... " .... cr****

downingthief
12-11-2009, 06:37 AM
So next Wednesday, my movie Somewhat Damaged will be playing at NewFilmmakers NY. I and captncrzy will be in attendance and I'm looking forward to spending a full day in New York this time as opposed to just walking the streets for a few hours at night. I'm also hoping that any board members who live in or near NYC can attend.

Any recommendations on where to eat or get some alcohol? Has it started snowing yet? Gonshman, being from Arizona yourself, how rude an awakening is it going to be from the temperatures we're experiencing here?

Rick, that is awesome. Congrats! Have a blast.

betao
12-11-2009, 06:38 AM
Rick that's awesome man, congratulations. If I was in the area I'd definitely come by. Hope the screening goes well!

faxman75
12-11-2009, 06:46 AM
Best of luck and safe travels Rick and Jen. Hope it goes well!

chairmenmeow47
12-11-2009, 07:03 AM
congratulations rick & have fun!

you will definitely be freezing your ass off. tell jen to wear long, thick socks or tights under whatever pants she wears. seriously.

captncrzy
12-11-2009, 07:17 AM
Shit, is it really that cold? I have a navy peacoat that works pretty well and a scarf that Taylor knit for me when she was 10. That's about the extent of my winter wear.

Crispin-we're excited to meet you and happy you two can make it. We're always down for pre-anything drinks--especially since Rick gets nervous at these things and needs a few to calm him down.

Randy-sorry you can't make it but you need to get better.

captncrzy
12-11-2009, 07:17 AM
This is your movie?

Yes

Monklish
12-11-2009, 07:21 AM
With wind chill it's about 13 degrees right now. Should be better by next week, but it's still gonna drop back down into the 30s by day/20s by night.

chairmenmeow47
12-11-2009, 07:27 AM
i also recommend wearing like a thin track jacket or sweater under your coat. seriously, it's cold to the bone!!!!

Somewhat Damaged
12-11-2009, 07:28 AM
I'd come up but I have myself on house arrest to deal with all the quitting smoking/drinking/drugs I'm doing for this blood clot. Sorry mate.

That's too bad. I suppose the house arrest you've got yourself on explains some of the heckling you've done around here of late. Oh wait, you're like that normally. Never mind. :)

This is your movie?

Well, the trailer for it, but yeah.

With wind chill it's about 13 degrees right now. Should be better by next week, but it's still gonna drop back down into the 30s by day/20s by night.

Ho. Lee. Shit. Any time I think about moving north of Arizona, I get smacked in the face with how pitifully I respond to the cold. Guess I'll have to bust out the trenchcoat I bought 5 years ago to wear for the 2nd time.

Crispin: meeting up at Motor City Bar sounds like a great idea. Look forward to meeting you & appreciate the support. And thanks everyone else in here, too.

Monklish
12-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Be especially mindful of anything to help cut down on wind. Truth is, it's actually not that hard to put up with temperatures well below this if there's no wind, but in real cities where the streets are basically tunnels through long stretches of tall buildings the wind fucking BARRELS through your ass.

JustSteve
12-11-2009, 08:25 AM
You're also pretty close to one of my favorite bars in the city, Motor City Bar (http://www.motorcitybar.com/).

oh man, i think we hit that one on our last pbr pub crawl in the city. my friend lives on e. houston, such a cool area. last one standing won $5, haha! i have all those dollars framed now...

take 'em to crif dogs up off of st. mark's.

LooseAtTheZoo
12-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Shit, is it really that cold? I have a navy peacoat that works pretty well and a scarf that Taylor knit for me when she was 10. That's about the extent of my winter wear.

It's not that bad. I survived most of this morning in a T-shirt and hoodie. Then again, I don't get cold very easily. Definitely grab some gloves, and I agree with what Randy said about the wind protection, that's what's killer

Congratulations, I'm 99% sure I will make the screening barring any ridiculously last minute finals preparations.

The cold won't be that terrible, just enjoy the trip.

32nd 2nd Avenue...there's loads of stuff you'll be able to find even if you just wanted to stay in that area. I'll try and think of some stuff.

amyzzz
12-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Good luck in NY, Rick.

captncrzy
12-11-2009, 08:40 AM
This is the hotel we're staying at (I got a killer deal on it):

http://www.thesohotel.com/

fatbastard
12-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Behind every great man is a great woman. Congratulations Rick!!!

captncrzy
12-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Behind every great man is a great woman rolling her eyes. Congratulations Rick!!!

fixed

amyzzz
12-11-2009, 10:17 AM
hahaha

Alchemy
12-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Blast! I have a class Wednesday night, otherwise I'd go. Also, I have a plane to catch on Thursday morning, so preparations must be made. The elusive Alchemy remains elusive.

Somewhat Damaged
12-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Aw, too bad, Alchemy. You'll be missed.

Tickets go on sale at 5:30. There's also a reception before the event and we'll have a table there (though I don't know how much promotional material I'll take with me). This reminds me, I need to find out what time exactly I have to get there.

Crispin, what time do you get off of work? If it's too late for us to be able to meet before the screening, would you be able to meet afterward?

stuporfly
12-13-2009, 12:11 PM
My schedule is very flexible that day, so if you'd rather meet before or after, I'm available. I'll PM you some contact info so you can let me know on the fly if need be.

PC-2 Violence
12-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Congrats Rick! Please do tell us more about your film.

Somewhat Damaged
12-13-2009, 04:35 PM
It's a relationship drama. Check the trailer that gaypalmsprings linked to. Or do you mean the history of it?

ThomThom
12-13-2009, 04:41 PM
take 'em to crif dogs up off of st. mark's.

There is a really good bar inside Crif Dog's called PDT. Go in the phone booth and pick up the phone and you will be let in. They have fantastic drinks there.

Also, congratufuckinglations Rick!

Somewhat Damaged
12-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the recommendation & congratulations, Sasha. If you say a place has "fantastic drinks," I know to listen. :thu

captncrzy
12-15-2009, 10:26 AM
I just checked the weather forecast. JESUS CHRIST!!!

stuporfly
12-15-2009, 10:32 AM
I just checked the weather forecast. JESUS CHRIST!!!

It's actually quite mild today, temperature in the low 50's. But tomorrow the winter bottom looks set to drop out. Egad, you kids are in for a treat!

captncrzy
12-15-2009, 10:45 AM
I bought tights to go under my jeans, and I've got tank tops to go under long sleeve shirts and then a hoodie to go under my wool coat and gloves. I hope that's enough.

LooseAtTheZoo
12-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Today is beautiful weather.

JustSteve
12-15-2009, 11:44 AM
There is a really good bar inside Crif Dog's called PDT. Go in the phone booth and pick up the phone and you will be let in. They have fantastic drinks there.

Also, congratufuckinglations Rick!

don't you need the password?

captncrzy
12-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Hopefully the password is "let me the fuck in, it's freezing out here."

mountmccabe
12-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Have a great time in NY!

ThomThom
12-15-2009, 09:10 PM
don't you need the password?

Nope, just let them know how many and they will let you know if there is any room available, if there isn't any they will ask for your name and phone number and send you to the bar across the street for a short while until they call you. It's a small space and there is no standing or yelling allowed.

PC-2 Violence
12-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Is there a secret entrance from the phone booth?

ThomThom
12-15-2009, 09:22 PM

Yessir. Also, while I was in New York I only needed a password for one bar and it was Milk N' Honey, not PDT.

rage patton
12-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Woh, congrats Rick. You must be excited. Let us all know how it goes!

JustSteve
12-16-2009, 10:16 AM

it's set up like an old speakeasy

algunz
12-16-2009, 11:29 AM
I bought tights to go under my jeans, and I've got tank tops to go under long sleeve shirts and then a hoodie to go under my wool coat and gloves. I hope that's enough.

I hope you have a hat too. Keeping your head warm is essential, especially if it's windy.

How awesome is this. Good luck and have fun.

caco0283
12-16-2009, 11:43 AM

Good work man and good luck tonight!!!

TomAz
12-16-2009, 12:05 PM
First, we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin.

stuporfly
12-16-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm leaving my apartment shortly to meet up with my girlfriend before we head off to the screening. I heard from the auteur earlier in the day, and I'm happy to pass on the news they've arrived safely. I'm hoping to see a NYC-area forum member or two there in addition to the guest(s) of honor.

stuporfly
12-17-2009, 04:03 AM
I was a little drunk and a lot exhausted by the time the cab screeched to a halt at the end of our street last night to bother checking in, but I feel invigorated enough this morning to handle it.

First off, it was fantastic meeting Rick and Jen last night, both of whom were gracious and gregarious and a lot of fun. I also met Gonshman (I don't know if he's let his real name slip out here, so I'm not going to spill it on his behalf), who is a swell guy, too.

We had a few minutes from when my girlfriend and I arrived to chat, and then it was up the stairs and into a theater that was much nicer than I'd imagined it might be.

Somewhat Damaged was essentially the headliner, and deservedly so as it was the most fully realized of all the night's entries. Rick has an eye for film and an ear for dialogue, and he was quite fortunate to find a solid cast to work with as well. I came away quite impressed and looking very forward to seeing his next project, which he later told us about and which sounds fascinating.

I actually enjoyed a few of the other films as well, and felt awful for the director of the film immediately preceding it as his DVD froze midway through. Sadly, once it got going again the story became so ludicrously implausible he might have been better off leaving it alone.

Gonshman had to split after Somewhat Damaged, so the rest of us (including the film's producer and her date, a filmmaker from Arizona who moved to NYC 10 years ago) hit up Katz's Delicatessen for a bite, then headed off to Motor City Bar for a few drinks.

It was a great night, and as I said above it was a total pleasure meeting Rick and Jen, and Gonshman as well.

gaypalmsprings
12-17-2009, 05:01 AM
What's next? Damaged Does Dallas?

LooseAtTheZoo
12-17-2009, 06:24 AM
Rick's film was head and shoulders above all the others in the program. It was the only one that I felt like I was watching a professional project, in terms of acting, writing, direction, etc...

I'm sorry I had to leave right afterwards, but finals beckoned. Anyways, it was nice to see Jen and Rick again and meeting Crispin (in? en?) who's quite the funny guy.

Good luck with your films in the future Rick. I can't wait to see the next one.

TomAz
12-17-2009, 06:27 AM
yay rick

captncrzy
12-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Just got home about an hour ago (yay for the tradewinds that blew us into Phoenix an hour early).

Had a great time; was nice seeing Aaron again (go finals!) and finally getting to meet Crispin and his lady friend-both of whom I totally loved. Thanks to you guys for coming out-the support is always nice at these things. Only bummer was that you had to leave so early.

Left Motor City right after you guys and ended up right across the street at Iggys Pub-which has one of the best jukebox selections I've seen in a very long time. Made some new friends, made fun of a guy sobbing all over the bar because his girlfriend broke up with him, and then staggered into a pizza place for a slice before heading to bed.

This morning we got up really late and headed out to Little Italy for brunch...it was 27F when we left at 11am. WTF? 27F? The cold actually froze the hangover right out of me, which was fantastic. After, went down to Rockefeller Center to see the Xmas decorations and watch the ice skaters before heading to the 'port. All in all, a very fun trip; again, thanks to you guys for meeting us and I'm excited to see you in April. Crispin-get her to come with you!

Somewhat Damaged
12-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Wow, thanks for the kind words, Crispin & Gonshman. I've seen the movie about 50 times now so I can't do much more than notice everything I feel I did wrong and think about what I would do differently (and hopefully better) if given the opportunity to shoot it again. As such, it's very humbling and gratifying to receive such swell reviews.

I respected a lot of the talent and effort that went into most of the other films. Even though I didn't much care for Knucks, I felt so badly for the director when his DVD froze 2 minutes from the end. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Except for maybe the director of I Look For Love. If we had stayed a bit longer, I would've liked to talk to the director of Beauty Machine because it was well put together if a little heavy handed in its feminist screed, but definitely a respectable first project. (Maybe I just liked all the big breasted women in it.) Overall, though, the evening was a nice contrast to the quality of films at the last screening I was in.

This will be the last thing I do with Somewhat Damaged, and it's been an interesting little journey. I wrote the first draft during the first week of October 2004 and did a few revisions over the next 2 years before I met Rebecca, who wanted to produce it and introduced me to pretty much all of the people who helped bring it to fruition. It's kind of crazy to think I've been friends with her for 3 years now, longer than I was involved with the person who inspired the story in the first place. My credit card debt is about 85% comprised of the costs associated with making this film and with the interest accruing, it'll end up being way more expensive than it had any right to be, but the impact it's had on my life has been, at the risk of sounding like a Mastercard ad, priceless. It roused me from a seriously crippling depression and propelled me to be more confident in myself and a lot more gregarious than I ever was before. I'm still friendly with a couple of the artists I met on the film and plan to collaborate with them again, and more encouragingly, they profess excitement over working with me. Because nothing has come easily with the film -- it took 2 years after its completion before it was accepted into a festival-type screening -- I have a newfound respect for the doggedness that successful filmmakers must have in order to get to the point in their careers where people pay to see their movies. This is not something that's handed to you; it's something you must earn. And while I may not have always been appreciative of the difficulties I've encountered over the course of the film -- from conception to getting it to screen outside of the city I live in -- that's been a valuable lesson to learn.

algunz
12-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Is there any way that the rest of us can see the movie? I'd love to see it.

Also, I'd love to see a copy of the script.

JorgeC
12-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Congrats on the screening, sounds like it went really well. I'd be interested in seeing it too.

Somewhat Damaged
12-23-2009, 08:20 PM
I'll get it uploaded to the net and post the link. gunz, I'll e-mail you the script in the next couple of days. I really appreciate your interest, both of you! :)