12-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Maybe U2 can lend you folks some money to help with that deficit:
http://www.economist.com/world/europe/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15073973

Ireland's budget

Hard times
Dec 10th 2009 | DUBLIN
From The Economist print edition

Ireland shows the rest of Europe what austerity really means

WHEN the Irish finance minister, Brian Lenihan, in effect cut the pay of public-sector workers earlier this year by introducing a special 7% pension levy, he confessed that Ireland’s European Union partners were amazed at the muted public reaction. There would, he said, have been riots in France. On December 9th Mr Lenihan presented his 2010 budget, inflicting even more pain by imposing steep pay cuts on public employees. This time, the response may not be quite so muted. The police are already threatening to defy a no-strike law in protest, and other public-sector workers are preparing to hold ballots on industrial action.

In a week when Greece and Spain both saw their credit ratings under attack (see article), the budget at least gave the government an opportunity to reassure international investors that Ireland, unlike some other EU countries, is serious about controlling its budget deficit and public-debt burden. Mr Lenihan has done this with the toughest budget in his country’s history. Public servants face pay cuts of 5-8% on salaries up to €125,000 ($190,000); higher earners (who will include the prime minister) will see their pay cut by 15% or more. Unemployment and welfare benefits have also been cut, though not pensions. Next year’s budget deficit, at around 11.6% of GDP, will be similar to this year’s.

The budget came against the background of a sharp contraction in economic activity, far greater than that experienced in other euro-area countries. GDP is projected to decline by 7.5% in 2009 and a further 1.3% in 2010. An unemployment rate of 12% this year is at least showing some signs of stabilising. But consumer confidence remains weak and households continue to save more and to spend less, thereby depressing tax revenues. Next year, almost half of all income earners will pay no tax. In an effort to widen the tax base, the government proposes to introduce a new property tax.

The budget will put the government into direct conflict with trade unions for the second time this year. The pension levy may have been accepted by the general public, but the unions still protested vociferously. In pre-budget talks, the government noted a hostile public reaction to the unions’ proposal for a temporary pay cut for public-sector workers and a promise of big public-sector reform. It chose a permanent pay cut instead.

These measures mark the end of two decades of social partnership, based on a consensus approach to pay bargaining between government, employers and unions. Whether this will usher in a long period of industrial conflict will become clearer in the coming weeks. Public-sector unions are already giving warning of a sustained campaign of strikes. But in these hard times they may not win much support from the Irish public.

MP? Your thoughts?

boarderwoozel3
12-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Ó cac.

MissingPerson
12-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I've been jamming my fists in my ears and pretending not to notice, to be honest. It's pretty bleak.

I work minimum wage and I'm a student, so I had a sense things were turning a bit sour well before my more affluent countrymen. My last job cut me at the start of 2008, although I was lucky enough to get another before things got really rough. I recently took in a CV from somebody with a Master's Degree. Somebody with a Masters Degree wanted my basic-pay tillmonkey job - and didn't get it.

For the last decade, our growth was artificially bouyed by the house market, which went completely insane, but the government made no provisions for what would happen if it slowed down. Obviously, property is only valuable if somebody wants it, so the arse fell out of the entire economy at the first sign of trouble; as soon as people weren't buying houses off each other any more.

The government's strategy, such as it is, is incredibly short sighted - there's no effort to actually stimulate growth, they just keep trying to stanch the flow rather than treat the wound. The disparity between tax and currency rates, for instance, means that anybody living in the border counties just drives to the North to do their christmas and goods shopping, which goes into the UK's economy rather than ours.

Our economy was the first in Europe to go into an official recession, and we're so far in the hole that I can't imagine us getting out of it for quite some time. The recession was a global problem, but I place the blame for the severity of it here squarely on a complacent and incompetent government and on the people who keep voting them in. Nobody minded during the boomtime, when they hurled millions of euros into astonishingly mismanaged public projects or pointless busywork, but it's starting to bite us all in the ass now. Nobody cared how shite they were until it was too late.

PlayaDelWes
12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Looks like you are not alone

Europe's most vulnerable countries have been nicknamed the "PIGS," - Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece, and Spain. (http://moneymorning.com/2009/12/09/spain-greece-default/)

cansei de ser sexme
12-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Do you actually have an accent? I always find myself reading your posts with one.

MissingPerson
12-10-2009, 08:40 PM
If Italy tanks, we're all boned. 7th biggest economy in the world.

MissingPerson
12-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Do you actually have an accent? I always find myself reading your posts with one.

I do. Country people tell me I sound posh, city people tell me I sound like a bumpkin, but yes, I'm told I have a fairly strong accent that, oddly, gets even stronger in the presence of foreign types. Instinctively hamming it up maybe?

PlayaDelWes
12-10-2009, 08:44 PM
After seeing Gomorra (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0929425/),I wouldn't exactly say that Italy is anywhere close to economic or political success.

QeuLCXwvOgw

MissingPerson
12-10-2009, 08:47 PM
If Bono and chums would kindly move their offshore assets back home, it would be lovely. Otherwise, we might get desperate and have to set Geldof on you guys again.

PlayaDelWes
12-10-2009, 08:49 PM
At least you are on the Euro. Imagine otherwise.

cansei de ser sexme
12-10-2009, 08:51 PM
I have relatives in County Clare with the thickest accent ever. I visited them when I was 14 and they offered me Guinness. Ireland rules.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-10-2009, 09:00 PM
I've been jamming my fists in my ears and pretending not to notice, to be honest. It's pretty bleak.

I work minimum wage and I'm a student, so I had a sense things were turning a bit sour well before my more affluent countrymen. My last job cut me at the start of 2008, although I was lucky enough to get another before things got really rough. I recently took in a CV from somebody with a Master's Degree. Somebody with a Masters Degree wanted my basic-pay tillmonkey job - and didn't get it.

For the last decade, our growth was artificially bouyed by the house market, which went completely insane, but the government made no provisions for what would happen if it slowed down. Obviously, property is only valuable if somebody wants it, so the arse fell out of the entire economy at the first sign of trouble; as soon as people weren't buying houses off each other any more.

The government's strategy, such as it is, is incredibly short sighted - there's no effort to actually stimulate growth, they just keep trying to stanch the flow rather than treat the wound. The disparity between tax and currency rates, for instance, means that anybody living in the border counties just drives to the North to do their christmas and goods shopping, which goes into the UK's economy rather than ours.

Our economy was the first in Europe to go into an official recession, and we're so far in the hole that I can't imagine us getting out of it for quite some time. The recession was a global problem, but I place the blame for the severity of it here squarely on a complacent and incompetent government and on the people who keep voting them in. Nobody minded during the boomtime, when they hurled millions of euros into astonishingly mismanaged public projects or pointless busywork, but it's starting to bite us all in the ass now. Nobody cared how shite they were until it was too late.

weird. this all sounds just like California.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-10-2009, 09:00 PM
I do. Country people tell me I sound posh, city people tell me I sound like a bumpkin, but yes, I'm told I have a fairly strong accent that, oddly, gets even stronger in the presence of foreign types. Instinctively hamming it up maybe?

hawt.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-10-2009, 09:04 PM
If Italy tanks, we're all boned. 7th biggest economy in the world.

nah, it won't happen.

emtgreg
12-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Yeah, sounds just like California, except your Leader's were not once called "Mr Freeze".

Also, I have a feeling I am going to tackle MP when I meet her:winkiss

Of course, she's Irish so I am going to get hit in the head with an iron pipe...but whatever.

boarderwoozel3
12-10-2009, 09:20 PM

Though I've got nothing to compare it against, let's just say there was no mistaking who the local was during our rendezvous. Quite charming all the same.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-10-2009, 09:21 PM
to be fair though. the Taoiseach (this is what they call their PM, how the fuck do you pronounce that?) is the highest paid politician on the planet.

ballroomdancer22
12-10-2009, 09:25 PM
and your soccer team got fucked out of the World CUP!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-10-2009, 09:26 PM
and your soccer team got fucked out of the World CUP!

Seriously
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200911/r472517_2370155.jpg

boarderwoozel3
12-10-2009, 09:28 PM
That's football to you. And yeah 'high-five, ball'... lolwat?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-10-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm wishing all sorts of ill on France because of it. Go South Africa!

cansei de ser sexme
12-10-2009, 09:31 PM
nonono

Espana!

boarderwoozel3
12-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Insane that they got the easiest draw they could have hoped for as well. I'm a casual supporter of *Les Bleus but damn, there's no justice in this footballing world.

*Based on ancestry I was pulling for Ireland.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-10-2009, 09:34 PM
nonono

Espana!

fuck Espana!

ballroomdancer22
12-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Ireland is having a shitty year yo, wouldn't it be ironic if France won it all? ouch.

ballroomdancer22
12-10-2009, 09:35 PM
don't underestimate South Africa or Mexico...I wish them a first round exit

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-10-2009, 09:35 PM
I want a non major european country to win it. Unless it's someone random like Slovenia or something.

ballroomdancer22
12-10-2009, 09:38 PM
I think the Dutch have been borderlining this bitch for a long time, The Orange Machine needs to fucking do something in '10....I predict Netherlands to win it, although it always turns out being same ol' Brazil,France,Italy,Germany,Argentina,England bullshit

boarderwoozel3
12-10-2009, 09:39 PM
The crazy thing is they've got the talent to catch fire and do just that. But their bum of a manager would surely find a way to mess it up. Honestly, considering the players he's got to work with, Domenech seems hell-bent on mucking everything up lately.

Spain are a quality side who play an entertaining style. I can't hate. It's certainly better than the Italians.... zzzzzzzzzzssss.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-10-2009, 09:40 PM
I think the Dutch have been borderlining this bitch for a long time, The Orange Machine needs to fucking do something in '10....I predict Netherlands to win it, although it always turns out being same ol' Brazil,France,Italy,Germany,Argentina,England bullshit

DO NOT WANT

boarderwoozel3
12-10-2009, 09:41 PM
I want a non major european country to win it. Unless it's someone random like Slovenia or something.

That's where Brazil and Argentina come in. But you're probably including them too. Brazil, meh. But Argentina would be cool, it's been a while for them and their supporters would lose their shit in the most epic of fashions.

ballroomdancer22
12-10-2009, 09:42 PM
whos the biggest longshot of the participating teams?

boarderwoozel3
12-10-2009, 09:43 PM

Van Persie being out is a crashing blow. They're certainly one of if not the most entertaining team in the world at the moment with their warp-speed counter attack.

boarderwoozel3
12-10-2009, 09:45 PM
whos the biggest longshot of the participating teams?

New Zealand +100,000

Bet $10, win $1,000. Lulz.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-10-2009, 09:46 PM
North Korea FTW! Truthfully. It would be great for the country.

ballroomdancer22
12-10-2009, 09:46 PM
after seeing the draw, my initial pick was England vs Netherlands Final....but yeah no way would i want to watch 2 European teams ala Germany '06....

boarderwoozel3
12-10-2009, 09:47 PM
New Zealand +100,000

Bet $10, win $1,000. Lulz.

Hey Ireland, I've got an idea to get you all out of the hole...

boarderwoozel3
12-10-2009, 09:48 PM
after seeing the draw, my initial pick was England vs Netherlands Final....but yeah no way would i want to watch 2 European teams ala Germany '06....

Just no Italy in the later rounds. They're sooooooooo boring!

ballroomdancer22
12-10-2009, 10:01 PM
im down with that

MissingPerson
12-11-2009, 06:19 AM
Though I've got nothing to compare it against, let's just say there was no mistaking who the local was during our rendezvous.

Bejaysus.

MissingPerson
12-11-2009, 11:53 AM
s-gmBs26LL4

MarkO
12-11-2009, 01:43 PM
to be fair though. the Taoiseach (this is what they call their PM, how the fuck do you pronounce that?) is the highest paid politician on the planet.

Tea-shock.

MissingPerson
12-11-2009, 01:48 PM
I'd say it kinda "Ththeeeeshawk", as in "I think we should kill the Ththeeeeshawk".

I used to be really good at Irish, after I accidentally got stuck in the higher level Irish language class.

It is not the language of love.

MarkO
12-11-2009, 05:15 PM
I'd say it kinda "Ththeeeeshawk", as in "I think we should kill the Ththeeeeshawk"............

Careful now, BIFFO could hold his own in a fight.

All I can remember from Irish class : An bfhuil cead agam dul go dti an leithreas ?

MissingPerson
12-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Nein. NEIN!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-11-2009, 05:34 PM
s-gmBs26LL4

who is the guy yelling fuck you?

MarkO
12-11-2009, 05:48 PM
http://www.paulgogarty.com/

MissingPerson
12-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Bloody country.

DOZENS of people queued inside a Co Kerry courthouse yesterday to shake hands and sympathise with a man who was jailed for five years for sexually assaulting a woman in Listowel.

Danny Foley (35), a nightclub bouncer, Meen, Listowel, was sentenced to seven years with the final two suspended by Judge Donagh McDonagh in the Circuit Criminal Court in Tralee. He had been found guilty two weeks ago of sexually assaulting a woman who was discovered by a Garda patrol in a semi-conscious state and naked from the waist down alongside a skip in a car park early on June 15th, 2008.

In her victim impact statement, the woman spoke of being “judged” in north Kerry, but said she was not sorry for telling the truth. Everyone in Listowel knew who she was, despite the press respecting her anonymity, she said.

“Even though my name has never been mentioned in the press, Listowel is not a big town and everyone knows it’s me,” the woman said. “I feel as if people are judging me the whole time. I’ve been asked by people I know if I am sorry for bringing Dan Foley to court. I am not sorry for it. All I did was tell the truth.”

About 50 people, mostly middle-aged and elderly men, queued yesterday to shake hands with the convicted man and hug him tearfully after he was brought from the cell to the dock, before Judge McDonagh entered the courtroom.

Before passing sentence, the judge criticised a character statement made by Castlegregory parish priest Fr Seán Sheehy. The priest had said Foley was always “respectful of women”, but Foley’s actions “gave the lie” to Fr Sheehy’s statement, the judge said.

Foley, who had been celebrating his 34th birthday on the night of the offence, had denied the charge. He told gardaí he had “found your wan” after he had gone to relieve himself near a skip at 3.50am. However CCTV footage showed him carrying her to the skip area. It also emerged he had met her earlier in a nightclub.

Judge McDonagh said the offence was at the middle to upper end of sexual assault. He noted that little or no remorse had been shown, nor any apology given to the victim, “surprisingly in the plea for mitigation”.

Still-ill
12-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Weird...

obzen
12-17-2009, 06:18 PM
http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/images/braveheart-mad-stephen.jpg
IT'S MY ISLAND!!!!

obzen
12-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Where crushing blows came from, Wallace.