PDA

View Full Version : Winston Calling

Mammoth85
12-09-2009, 03:11 AM
Anybody in the LA area catch the "Winston Calling" benefit show hosted by Black Francis (of Pixies) tonight? Absolutely epic.

Apart from the excellent bands (including one of Blacks projects Grand Dutchy with his wife who kicks major ass on bass and vocals), he got about 45 minutes worth of Pixies tunes at the end featuring Weird Al giving his most endearing and beautiful vocal performance of "I Bleed". Then Flea picked up bass for the last 2 or 3 Pixies tunes which closed the night. Truly an epic show. Anybody has info, video, or any comments they'd like to share, by all means...

Lurker_in_a_tree
12-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Can't you think of any other words to use besides "epic"?

TallGuyCM
12-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Sounds epic, bro.

getbetter
12-09-2009, 03:30 PM
I got to meet Werid Al and Joey Santigo at the echoplex and the bassist of pj harvey.But i swear out of the 5-6 hours of the show it was like Black Francis was on stage for more than half of it .Seening him sing with The D , o man anyone else went to last night show?

great show probly one of my top favorite shows of this year it kinda hard choose since theres been so many great shows

Also i ask Werid Al is going on tour next year he said in the summer but no dates yet?

bmack86
12-09-2009, 03:38 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/48444188.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1260406469&Signature=hXaScXqqoqz4lZsoAemskc1qlXo%3D

Eric Wareheim just posted this on twitter.

getbetter
12-09-2009, 08:46 PM
http://www.therocknrollsupershow.com/news/2009/12/8/the-pixies-tenacious-d-love-and-rockets-flea-weird-al-and-mo.html

here is the whole show .

Mammoth85
12-09-2009, 08:49 PM
I got to meet Werid Al and Joey Santigo at the echoplex and the bassist of pj harvey.But i swear out of the 5-6 hours of the show it was like Black Francis was on stage for more than half of it .Seening him sing with The D , o man anyone else went to last night show?

great show probly one of my top favorite shows of this year it kinda hard choose since theres been so many great shows

Also i ask Werid Al is going on tour next year he said in the summer but no dates yet?

Black was up there for most of the show. It was a Pixies tribute practically. Almost every act played a Pixies tune that Black would join in on. Peter Murphy and co. with Black playing "Monkey's Gone to Heaven". Tenacious D playing "Oh My Golly!" with Black (they even did the "you fuckin die" bit). Then Weird Al singing "I Bleed" was absolutely euphoric. Kim Shattuck and Blacks wife Violet Clark playing bass for a ton of Pixies songs and finally Flea closing the night out. Definitely a concert I wont forget. A treat for everyone there.

hendrixfan143
12-09-2009, 09:22 PM
my friends said it was over 5 hours long. sounds epic

Mammoth85
12-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Epic and Legendary are the best words to describe it.

Neutral Milk Hotel
12-09-2009, 10:04 PM
my friends said it was over 5 hours long. sounds epic

Yeah, 5 and a half hours. I think some things could have been dropped (*cough cough*, She Wants Revenge) but the 90 minutes were so amazingly good that it redeemed any slow moments that came before.

getbetter
12-09-2009, 10:24 PM
they are going be making a DVD out of it .woot hoo

Neutral Milk Hotel
12-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Where did you hear this?

CrimesceneCookie
12-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Peter Murphy and co. with Black playing "Monkey's Gone to Heaven".

I think you mean David J

CrimesceneCookie
12-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Yeah, 5 and a half hours. I think some things could have been dropped (*cough cough*, She Wants Revenge)

Michael Penn too.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

TallGuyCM
12-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Yeah, 5 and a half hours. I think some things could have been dropped (*cough cough*, She Wants Revenge) but the 90 minutes were so amazingly good that it redeemed any slow moments that came before.

What 90 minutes? I don't understand this post.

Neutral Milk Hotel
12-09-2009, 11:34 PM
*last 90 minutes

Michael Penn too.

I liked his stuff, actually. But then that's my kind of music.

AlecEiffel
12-10-2009, 07:31 AM
I got to meet Werid Al and Joey Santigo at the echoplex and the bassist of pj harvey.

PJ Harvey's bassist is Eric Drew Feldman, who is also the keyboard player for the Pixies and Frank Black. He's also produced several of Frank's records including the two most recent, but still unreleased albums (Der Golem and Non Stop Erotik).

Also, based on your avatar, you may also be interested to know that he was a member of Captain Beefheart's Magic Band, among many others.

Mammoth85
12-10-2009, 10:29 AM
What 90 minutes? I don't understand this post.

The last 90 minutes or so of the show was basically all Frank Black and Pixies stuff. That's round about when they started having Joey, Dave and other guest musicians (Weird Al, Kim Shattuck, Violet Clark, Flea, etc.) come out and play Pixies tunes.

I disagree about some acts being cut. While I'm not a big fan of She Wants Revenge or OK Go, their Pixies covers with Frank kicked ass. The whole show was a real excellent hodge podge of rock collaborations.

dannykrug
12-10-2009, 01:48 PM
I run Rock n Roll Super Show, we are the ones who streamed the whole show. Clips are up at the link previously given. We had a Stickam crew running the whole thing, so they chose the clips that went up.

They keep adding new ones, but right now you can for sure see Weird Al doing "I Bleed," some of Black Francis' set, Grand Duchy, as well as interviews with Michael Penn, She Wants Revenge, and Violet Clark. There's a total of 9 clips up right now.

Honestly I would rather them have put up interviews like Tenacious D, Joey Santiago, or Weird Al. Those were much better and a ton more fun in my opinion.

We will be posting all of the interviews soon, and a DVD is being made of the whole night. I don't know what the timeline is or the DVD, but the interviews should be up within the next week.

http://www.therocknrollsupershow.com/news/2009/12/8/the-pixies-tenacious-d-love-and-rockets-flea-weird-al-and-mo.html

Mammoth85
12-10-2009, 04:30 PM
A DVD eh? That's excellent news.

getbetter
12-10-2009, 04:39 PM
hey danny it me zack .thanks for being cool and talking to me and my gf.

Yeah violet said to danny that they were thinking about a dvd.

I though David J was a cool set .I missed micheal penn because of food,drinks and cigs. But i was upset that she wants revenge didn't do any of their songs, what the point of even showing up as a band if your going be just a cover band.

But that fucking sucks i didn't do my research and knew who he was because i bum a cig off him and told he kinda look like robin flinch from nin.some time i make my self look like ass sigh.

Hey did i have too much to drink or did David J do "5 years" from David bowie

i would look to see the setlist for the whole night .

mmm i wondering if it would be too nerdly to post my report for my music class i did here on the fourms

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-10-2009, 05:07 PM
mmm i wondering if it would be too nerdly to post my report for my music class i did here on the fourms

it doesn't get much nerdier than simply posting on here at all.

Post the report!

cormaic
12-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Hey did i have too much to drink or did David J do "5 years" from David bowie

You had too much to drink, however he did do 'All The Young Dudes' with Black Francis, which technically IS a bowie song, but not really, but kinda

AlecEiffel
12-10-2009, 05:44 PM
i would look to see the setlist for the whole night .

As would I.

Please do.

AlecEiffel
12-10-2009, 05:45 PM
You had too much to drink, however he did do 'All The Young Dudes' with Black Francis, which technically IS a bowie song, but not really, but kinda

I'm pretty sure Bowie considers it a Bowie song. He played regularly on some tours. I think it's like how Springsteen clearly considers "Because The Night" his thing.

getbetter
12-10-2009, 05:56 PM
all man u guys are great i'm just putting some final touches on it .I kinda of nerous so dont be too critical

CrimesceneCookie
12-10-2009, 05:57 PM
did anyone go to the comedy night last nite?

Neutral Milk Hotel
12-10-2009, 06:21 PM
I couldn't I had a final to study for. :( Really bummed, I've wanted to see David Lovering's magic act for ages.

getbetter
12-10-2009, 06:25 PM
all guys please just dont burn me on the stake for what you might feel different if u can help me out with any indifferent to make this paper better is ok those.because i'm not going send in my final draft til tommorrow. I feel like there should be a little more about the style when describing the musicans playing but i did write way over the 2 page mark that he ask for.

Winston’s Calling

As Violet Clark followed a couple shows on the Home and Gardening Channel called HGTV’s Design a Star and Paint-Over!, she added Jennifer Bertrand as a friend on myspace/facebook. After getting to know each other, she finds out that Jennifer’s newborn baby Winston was born with two extremely rare and life-threatening diseases called Lymphatic and Venous Malformations. Lymphatic has to do with a weak Lymphatic system which creates a sack of cysts in the face and neck. Venous has to do with an improper formation of veins. Violet began talking with her husband Charles Thompson(Black Frank, Frank Black aka .Black Francis) and began to plan a benefit event to raise money to help out the Bertrands and their Medical bill. I heard of this event though facebook on Charles Thompson’s page. So this benefit show called “Winston Calling” took place for two days as one being a Rock show and the other being a comedy show at a nightclub.
I went to the first night which was on the 8th of December 2009 at the Echoplex otherwise known as “Below the Echo”. It’s called “Below the Echo” because there’s two venues owned by “The Echo”, in the same building, with a smaller room called the Echo upstairs, off sunset, and the first story of the building is where you can find the Echoplex, which you enter off Glendale. Parking is off park which was nice and easy if u have been there before. Too bad it was my first time and I didn’t realize that sunset was the overpass. Luckily, I was early and was able to get in front and there was no line in front of the sign less building. As the Hollywood Sunset strip is going out of business due to parking problems, higher volume crimes, traffic and lack of Venue accommodations up to sound quality. The Whiskey Go-Go is barely making it, Key club just closed this month, and so did the knitting factory, all within two months apart this year. The only venues that are making a profit right now are The Echo, Echoplex and Spaceland in Sliverwood. I was really excited to see what the whole experience in this small venue would be like. It was also one of my favorite musicians playing at a small venue, so I had a lot to look forward to. The audience was a lot smaller than I thought it would be, and it didn’t sell out .Proof that it really is a bad year for venue and nightclubs. The majority ages were mid 20s up to 50 years old, a little more males than females. It seemed to be more like a hipster, yuppyish, group of people in peacock coats, scarfs, and beanies. The Ethnic group was wide range yet there was a little more Caucasians than any other .The audience members I talked to surprised me, actually, there were a bunch of people in the musical industry for example , one group of people around the mid 20s, girls and guys were streaming the show live and giving interviews with the musicians called The Rock n Roll Super Show. I talked to Joey Santiago from The Pixies for a while about nothing too important than just the shows I saw that he was in November, and how the venue wouldn’t let drinks into the actual floor in front of the stage and what it’s like out in Rancho Cucamonga. The only negative thing I could say about the audience was when I got to the front and there was a couple of overweight men in their 40s and 50s complaining about the girl in front of him dancing with her hair in his face .And how we were too close to them and people that were trying to get in front of them. Those are the type of people I can’t stand at a concert and they should have never been that close to the stage in the first place.
The First Musician to come on stage was Black Francis who was the singer of The Pixies. He’s 44 years old, overweight, bald wearing a plaid shirt and jeans, to me a perfect anti-image of a Rock God .If you don’t know who The Pixies were the Godfather’s of Alternate Rock ,with a style of wailing that Black Francis delivers in his songs. So he sang a couple classics from his catalog from the pixies to “break the ice” as he said it, with just him and a acoustic guitar. Then “The 88s” came out and did a tight 5 song set. These guys wore very nice looking clothes, “buddy holly looking” young, maybe around 30.Then Grand Dutchy came out which is a four piece band featuring Frank Black (Charles Thompson aka Black Francis) and his wife Violet Clark .Violet has a yellow funky old 20’s like hat on,bald, wearing a white and black stripe dress, and green shirt sweater and appears to be ten or less years younger than Charles. They played for about 40 minutes. David J came out who had played with Bauhaus and Love & Rockets covered John Lennon’s “Jealous guy” as his first song and the end of his set covered Mott the Hoople's "All the Young Dudes”. He had Black Francis come out and sing a Pixies favorite “Monkey’s gone to Heaven” and “In Heaven”. Also they had a Cello and a Ukulee out during David J set which help bring these song into a inmate mellow mood. I went and ate while the next singer came out which was Michael Penn, who is from a Band called “Doll Congress” and from what I’ve read now, since I had no clue who he is, he is an underrated songwriter with critical acclaim. When I got back, Tenacious D had got on, which was a crowd favorite and was very funny. Tenacious D is a two person band featuring two guitars. At the end of their 5 song set, they had Black Francis come out and sing another pixies song favorite “Oh My God”. The headliner was Black Francis and his friend, which was a special guest, Kim from the Muff, Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ok-Go, She Wants Revenge, and Weird Al Yankovic. The set list they played mostly a compendium of Pixies songs for the rest of the night.
David J played a fretless- black 4 string bass with stainless steel plates on it, my first thought was that it was beautiful. At the time, he would play faster than other times, but he only used one finger to pluck and he used the last string. When he would pick up speed, that was when he used only the last string, so it seemed. Charles Thompson, at one time, broke the 5th string on his white fender and just ignored it and kept on playing until the song was over, before changing guitars. Another time I notice how much David J had a piercing yet mellow enough to hear voice while black Francis had his signature “bawl” for the chorus of “This monkey gone to heaven”. The most interesting song was “I Bleed” with most of the Pixies members with Violet Clark and Weird AL doing the vocals. The Strangest Part was that Weird Al did not make a parody of the song and just sang it normally. I was upset that the first minute of him singing was very hard to hear.
So I was really pleased with the show and the venue was beautiful inside. The bar menu was interesting to see and they actually brewed their own brand beer for the venue yet there was only Indian pale ale and blonde by them. The food menu was smart with naming their pizzas after movie characters like The Dude & Mr. Pink and tasted great .The Acoustic of the place sounded great and u could almost see the stage from everywhere inside the venue. I still am in shock that I got to see all these great musicians for a good cause and for only $20 a ticket and two dollars for parking. Also for having only a small venue like the Echoplex they had two bars inside meaning smaller lines to wait. Hopefully they raise a lot of money for Winston and I won’t forget this Concert as it was probably one of my favorite concerts I got to see. One more thing that makes this show special is that my girlfriend and I got on the La weekly slide 17 out 21 on the website in the slideshow section with our picture with Weird Al. Or how I got to talk to Weird Al and tell him that he is my Frank Zappa for my generation and he was my first Cassette I bought. Then he bowed down to me saying,” thanks, but nobody can replace Frank”.

berbotty
12-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Hello - I'm Winston's dad, firstly thanks to all who went - it was truly an epic night. The support and love we were shown was deeply touching. I think what made it so good was you could see every musician just digging the fact they were up on stage together, which carried over to the crowd. I've never been to a gig with such a happy atmosphere. It was one of the greatest nights of my life. The comedy night was just ridiculously funny Odenkirk andBrian Posehn - genius. Thankyou again - Chris

getbetter
12-12-2009, 06:09 PM
how come winston wasnt at the concert even for a brief moment?

berbotty
12-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Winston is a bit too fragile to travel, we live in Kansas and also our nurses are not allowed to travel out of state. Even going to the store with him we have to pack 4 machines and an oxygen tank. He would have loved to have gone though

Mammoth85
12-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Well, all our love goes out to you guys and Winston.

getbetter
01-05-2010, 06:18 PM
http://www.therocknrollsupershow.com/news/2009/12/14/over-41000-tune-into-winston-calling-webcast.html

woot hoo