PDA

View Full Version : thread in which i ask for help on my RESEARCH PAPER!

HunterGather
12-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Sorry if this is too long. I kinda rambled on.

Hey all. this thread will be aiding me as I finish up my 5 page research paper for comp2 which is due tomorrow.

Of course i can search for this stuff by reading around, but it's getting close to the end and i can't be bothered with all that.

------

I got a question (there may be more over the next few hours).

(The paper is to be done MLA style, fyi)
I need to get 3 to 4 sources to gather quotes or paraphrase for my research paper.

Is it fine to have 1 quote AND 1 paraphrased sentence from one single source?
(ie an analysis of the story i am writing on. Using one quote from the analysis as as well as paraphasing something else elsewhere in the paper).

I only ask this because I have a vague memory of my freshman comp 1 class where I was told that I can't more than one quote/paraphrase from a single source. Or do i have that wrong?

Not that I would count both as 2 seperate sources, obviously. I'd still find the other sources from other places.

Thanks!

paulthomasanderson
12-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Depends on your professor's leniency. Not that I'm an expert at writing, but I'd say you could only count that as one source since it's from the same thing. Ah Hamlet, how I still hate your insides.

guedita
12-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Whoever told you you can't use sources more than once in a paper is horribly mistaken, it's totally fine. There are no rules to how many times you can use a source, just as long as it is cited.

Writing a 12 page paper tonight/tomorrow myself--best of luck to you.

HunterGather
12-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Depends on your professor's leniency. Not that I'm an expert at writing, but I'd say you could only count that as one source since it's from the same thing. Ah Hamlet, how I still hate your insides.

Oh i know it would only count as one source.
I'm saying, am I allowed to use two separate quotes from one source in one paper.

To be specific, i have a line paraphrased and a direct quote from one source.

cansei de ser sexme
12-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Today our teacher assigned reading from the Bedford Handbook specifically addressing plagiarism and paraphrasing and it mentioned nothing of this. However this is my first experience with this type paper and I am in high school so I would not trust me.

HunterGather
12-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Whoever told you you can't use sources more than once in a paper is horribly mistaken, it's totally fine. There are no rules to how many times you can use a source, just as long as it is cited.

Writing a 12 page paper tonight/tomorrow myself--best of luck to you.

You may be right. That sounds right. I might just be thinking of something else from my comp 1 class last semester...

12 pages? Wow. That sounds like something to start at least a week in advance! But i said the same thing about this paper, though...
Good luck

paulthomasanderson
12-08-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm saying, am I allowed to use two separate quotes from one source in one paper.

Like I said, it depends on what your professor prefers or wants. If it's a prick, you're screwed, if not, use it to your advantage. You're usually always allowed to pull out as many quotes as you want, whether you're referring to it or just placing an entire quote in a paper. Either way, just include the page number so you're not suspected of tampering with the author's work. Ha I dealt with that all too often.

wmgaretjax
12-08-2009, 05:54 PM
12 pages? Wow. That sounds like something to start at least a week in advance! But i said the same thing about this paper, though...
Good luck

lol. i wrote 24 typed pages in my 3.5 hour final yesterday.

guedita
12-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Either way, just include the page number so you're not suspected of tampering with the author's work. Ha I dealt with that all too often.

No kidding, you only lasted 2 days in NYU!

paulthomasanderson
12-08-2009, 06:00 PM
No kidding, you only lasted 2 days in NYU!

I was actually trying to help him out. The mask was off, so to say. :thu

HunterGather
12-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Thanks. I will have more questions within the next hour or 3 (i project i will be finished by then).

And if anyone wants to give their 2nd opinion on it when I'm done, that'd be cool too!
It's imperative i do well on this paper.

We have to write a paper on one of the short stories we've covered earlier in the semester.
I chose "Hills Like White Elephants".
And the professor is very strict with formatting, punctuation, spelling, etc.

Monklish
12-08-2009, 06:22 PM
... why in the fuck do you presume we're going to help you? It's a five page paper.

HunterGather
12-08-2009, 06:26 PM
I figured you'd fuck this up for me.

Anyhow, its double spaced! So yeah.
And the idea was to post a link and if anyone had time, then whatever.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73822&d=1258470173

guedita
12-08-2009, 06:32 PM
That's one of my favorite short stories. I'll read your paper....it will give me another way to procrastinate working on my own.

Monklish
12-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Holy shit, five pages double spaced? Why aren't you done already?

HunterGather
12-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Multi tasking. Procrastinating. Writing in this thread. Eating dinner now as well.

And it's not so much the writing part that takes long.
I gotta get "official, scholarly" sources (need 3 to 4). Searching the schools online database requires a bit of reading to get the right source I want...
Plus, the professor is very strict on sentence structure and stuff, so I gotta make sure its perfect.

Since you've taken such an interest, I want you to personally read my mediocre paper when I'm done later :D

Meanwhile, I gotta do another paper on Michael Jackson for my humanities class for tomorrow, which I can write real quickly.

Monklish
12-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Very strict on sentence structure? What the fuck are you talking about? Are you an educated person? Can you read and write? Then you ought to be able to compose a fucking sentence.

paulthomasanderson
12-08-2009, 06:52 PM
What's the MJ dealing with? His contribution to the world in terms of the Earth and wildlife?

gaypalmsprings
12-08-2009, 06:52 PM

You can use more than one quote from a single source, but watch out:

1. Anyone can quote. Quoting doesn't show the reader that you comprehend anything, just that you know how to transfer words.

2. Quote only when there is absolutely no way to state something in your own words (i.e., paraphrase).

3. Be careful on "paraphrasing" that you don't use the same phrasing, or specific words, from the original text

4. If it's a research type paper, make sure you have at least one source per paragraph. If 3 paragraphs in a row are from the same source, you must cite it in each paragraph.

5. If a paragraph doesn't have at least one source, the reader can assume that it is either your own original words/thoughts/ideas, or general knowledge accepted my most people. If it is actually a source's idea & you don't give credit, then that's plaigerism (sp?).

6. NEVER quote more than 5 lines at a time. NEVER. The long quotes should be indented - & NO MORE THAN 5 LINES (not sentences, but lines). And even that, you must have a very good reason for quoting so much material.

K?

HunterGather
12-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Don't burst a vein or anything.

I'm fine with reading and writing. Just based on an earlier essay I did in the semester, I forgot about little things (ie not using things like "it's" "won't" "can't", "didn't" etc.)

I guess I misspoke on sentence structure, as he didn't say anything was wrong with the content. Just a few mechanical errors I made.

I look forward to another angry response!

HunterGather
12-08-2009, 06:59 PM
What's the MJ dealing with? His contribution to the world in terms of the Earth and wildlife?

It's 20th Century Humanities.
The assignment is to to a report and presentation on an influential figure, event, or movement from any point in the 20th Century.

prettydirtything
12-08-2009, 07:00 PM

what sort of program requires this? Do I need to give up any hope of graduate school right away?

As a side note, I don't know how to type, and I have a bachelors degree and terrible handwriting. go figure.

gaypalmsprings
12-08-2009, 07:02 PM
http://images.cryhavok.org/d/2644-2/LOLcat+-+Grammar+Nazi+Cat.jpg

paulthomasanderson
12-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Your professor sounds familiar. haha. Does he have a bias towards any particular student or gender or just demands utter perfection?

HunterGather
12-08-2009, 07:05 PM
He seems to really like the ladies, and comes off borderline pervy at times (off putting for a 50-60 year old).
But he doesn't come across as being unfair to any student because of that.

Tanks GPS

paulthomasanderson
12-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Hm the name will say a lot about him. Care to share?

moomoo
12-08-2009, 07:08 PM
what class is 'comp2'?

HunterGather
12-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Freshman Composition II

gaypalmsprings
12-08-2009, 07:13 PM
He seems to really like the ladies, and comes off borderline pervy at times (off putting for a 50-60 year old).

http://www.funnystuffblog.com/joker/teacher-boner.jpg

paulthomasanderson
12-08-2009, 07:14 PM
This one's for you.

http://members.cox.net/jfmccarthy/kennyvic.jpg

Monklish
12-08-2009, 07:16 PM
I wouldn't let PTA touch your five page paper--he'll turn it into a nine page paper, all of the additional paragraphs about people crying excessively.

paulthomasanderson
12-08-2009, 07:18 PM
http://oregonstate.edu/webprojects/wiki/osu/images/b/b8/Kennyblankenship.jpg

wmgaretjax
12-08-2009, 07:26 PM
what sort of program requires this? Do I need to give up any hope of graduate school right away?

Law school. So no. You don't have to give up hope.

paulthomasanderson
12-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Best of luck. Hope you finish it! :)

HunterGather
12-08-2009, 09:19 PM
gah! i took a power nap that went longer than i intended.
Back to work.
Thanks.

paulthomasanderson
12-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Coffee or cranked music will get you through it. I'd read it for you if I were a night-owl but off I go.

guedita
12-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Yeah, if you're just starting now I'll probably be asleep by the time you finish and won't be able to read it. Good luck, though. I always give myself 5 minute dance music breaks to keep me going when it's down to the wire.

HunterGather
12-08-2009, 09:28 PM
I think I'll switch to math for a few and get back to the paper. Tomorrow is the last regular day of class of the semester, so i got other stuff I gotta do.
If anyones around, then cool. if not, whatever.

rage patton
12-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Jesus Christ, a 5 page paper? I just finished writing one of my take home exams which consisted of 3 questions, each answer was about 5 pages.

What school do you attend?

HunterGather
12-08-2009, 09:55 PM
It's just community college.

kitt kat
12-08-2009, 10:31 PM

I usually CAN do this...

But today I've written three typed pages. TODAY.

rage patton
12-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Im going to answer your question.

I got a question (there may be more over the next few hours).

(The paper is to be done MLA style, fyi)
I need to get 3 to 4 sources to gather quotes or paraphrase for my research paper.

Is it fine to have 1 quote AND 1 paraphrased sentence from one single source?
(ie an analysis of the story i am writing on. Using one quote from the analysis as as well as paraphasing something else elsewhere in the paper).

I only ask this because I have a vague memory of my freshman comp 1 class where I was told that I can't more than one quote/paraphrase from a single source. Or do i have that wrong?

Not that I would count both as 2 seperate sources, obviously. I'd still find the other sources from other places.

What kind of fucking course says that you can only quote or paraphrase a source once. That is absolutely rediculous. There is no way that is a general rule. Cite your source as many times as you want, just make sure to do the citations properly.

If you really think you can only quote/paraphrase the source one, contact your prof. or TA or whoever will be marking your paper.

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
12-08-2009, 10:48 PM
MLA format can suck it, big.

JewFace
12-08-2009, 11:58 PM
God, I'm so glad that I never have to write another paper as long as I live. Good luck on all your finals, nerds!

boarderwoozel3
12-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks. But no luck needed here, it's all skills. I'm working on a paper than analyzes globalization from a human rights standpoint. Essentially, it starts with Adam Smith's liberal 'open markets in the state of nature' economic viewpoint and ends with contemporary Free Trade Zones, the World Bank and G whatever summits are all fucked byproducts of Smith's ideas. Good, depressing times. I'm pretty much hating capitalism at the moment. Merry x-mas.

guedita
12-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Thanks. But no luck needed here, it's all skills. I'm working on a paper than analyzes globalization from a human rights standpoint. Essentially, it starts with Adam Smith's liberal 'open markets in the state of nature' economic viewpoint and ends with contemporary Free Trade Zones, the World Bank and G whatever summits are all fucked byproducts of Smith's ideas. Good, depressing times. I'm pretty much hating capitalism at the moment. Merry x-mas.

Title your paper, "The Invisible Hand: bitch-slapping the shit out of the Third World."

paulthomasanderson
12-09-2009, 07:54 AM
10 page research papers are a win. What motivated me back in High School was making the "elite" as in the top tier of the class look like losers.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-09-2009, 11:32 AM
God, I'm so glad that I never have to write another paper as long as I live. Good luck on all your finals, nerds!

i agree, this makes me so happy i'm done with all that shit. My poor girlfriend was killing herself this past weekend working on two 25-page papers/presentations at my place while I got drunk and watched movies all day

paulthomasanderson
12-09-2009, 02:32 PM
I wonder if he pulled it off...

JClemy
12-09-2009, 02:41 PM
You can definitely use more than one quote/paraphrase from one article/source. It's definitely something you can use.

I expected to never have to write another paper but now I'm tutoring and so I'm helping others write long ones.

Geno_g
12-09-2009, 03:00 PM
I had a five page paper for my weight training class at my community college due last week (did it in one night), power through this...

Young blood
12-09-2009, 03:01 PM
I had a five page paper for my weight training class at my community college due last week (did it in one night), power through this...

hahahahahaha.....hahahahahahaha

paulthomasanderson
12-09-2009, 03:02 PM

What exactly was the topic for something like this? Sounds odd.

Geno_g
12-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Research on a topic about weight training, had to be a scholarly journal. I did my report on explosive power and how athletes use it for gains in sports...

paulthomasanderson
12-09-2009, 03:05 PM
5 pages on weight training? That's not right.

Young blood
12-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Research on a topic about weight training, had to be a scholarly journal. I did my report on explosive power and how athletes use it for gains in sports...

Did you reference bruce lee?

Geno_g
12-09-2009, 03:08 PM
5 pages on weight training? That's not right.

No shit, I took golf, a couple semesters ago, for the easy A. I thought weight training would be the same, then she started talking about reports, blew her off. Then, right before thanksgiving, our reports were due without any notice or anything, I thought she was joking at the start of the semester...

paulthomasanderson
12-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Could've done it on steroids.

HunterGather
12-09-2009, 04:57 PM
It ended up taking longer than I thought it would. I guess i'm dumb or whatever Randy said I was.
But searching for sources took time. It didn't help that i was half asleep either.
So i haven't slept yet, and that was coming off of not alot of sleep in the first place.

I'll find out what i got on the paper monday. I don't think it's as good as it should be, considering that I've had almost all semester to do it.

Thank God I dont have to write none of that 25 paper shit you guys are talking about.
I reckon that will come in the upper level courses at a university.

paulthomasanderson
12-09-2009, 05:01 PM
I always thought google books was reliable. Never worked out. At least you turned a paper in that wasn't plagiarized.

HunterGather
12-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Plagiarism was never an issue. Citing sources was jammed into my head since grade school. But it's just been a while, is all.

paulthomasanderson
12-09-2009, 05:09 PM
How goes the paper on MJ?

HunterGather
12-09-2009, 05:15 PM
By the time i finally wrapped up the comp2 paper, i had just enough time to get ready for school and look somewhat coherent and together.
I didn't get to work on that paper at all, much less plan the powerpoint presentation.
But, i knew we all weren't going to get to present today during class. But we had to be prepared regardless. Thankfully i didn't get called on.
I have until Wednesday now. If you weren't prepared to give your report, a grade or something would have been knocked off.
Not that it takes forever to write a paper on MJ and throw a few pictures together, but I was insanely tired and was running behind on everything.

Next semester will be different!

bleep
12-09-2009, 05:19 PM
stop watching so much TV! :D

paulthomasanderson
12-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Your heart rate waiting to be called on must've been through the roof.