PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Strip dying a slow death?

ivankay
12-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Article about the closing of the Key Club (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/12/trouble-on-the-strip-key-club-closes-hopes-to-reopen-soon.html).

It is probably the most complicated area to go to a show. Traffic is horrible. Parking outrageous. Will the strip fade from any relevance and just be a talking point for L.A. music historians?

seandlr
12-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Most likely. I mean the Whiskey sucks now. I saw all this coming from a while away. it has been dying for a long time.

bmack86
12-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Just move everything over to Echo Park and be done with it. I always hated going to shows on the Strip.

BROKENDOLL
12-03-2009, 09:55 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/GOOGLE%20IMAGES%20AND%20CLIPART/SSMF576.jpg

We've always had the best of times at shows along Sunset Blvd. Key Club, Viper, Whiskey, etc. and it would be a shame for a street that's a show in itself to die. Guess we'll see on the upswing, right?

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/GOOGLE%20IMAGES%20AND%20CLIPART/Sunset_Strip_Hollywood.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/GOOGLE%20IMAGES%20AND%20CLIPART/Sunset-Strip-Neon--Mels-Diner.jpg

Boourns
12-03-2009, 10:00 PM
The only show I have ever seen on the strip was Emily haines at the viper room.

roboticwaltz
12-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Eh, I could care less about the Key Club, and pretty much the entire strip for that matter. Obscene parking prices, horrible traffic, and citation nazis raping my wallet is more than enough to deter me. I do miss the Knitting Factory though (I know it's not on the strip, but it's still relevant to the subject).

verslibre
12-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Eh, I could care less about the Key Club, and pretty much the entire strip for that matter. Obscene parking prices, horrible traffic, and citation nazis raping my wallet is more than enough to deter me. I do miss the Knitting Factory though (I know it's not on the strip, but it's still relevant to the subject).

It's sad to see anything on the Strip go down. When Tower closed, that was a bummer, though Amoeba more than makes up for it. Tower HQ was supposed to open a superstore but so far, nothing. The closing of Rhino Records in Westwood and Aron's also sucked majorly.

roboticwaltz
12-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Tower = Lame, overpriced CDs. Glad to see it go.

Rhino, Aron's = Definitely a bummer. I miss them a lot.

getbetter
12-04-2009, 12:09 AM
He said the club has closed to make way for a new partner and renovations. It could be operating at full capacity again as early as February.

so i wont worry too much

amyzzz
12-04-2009, 06:09 AM
I saw Catherine Wheel play a free show at that Tower Records.

TomAz
12-04-2009, 06:27 AM
Good story amy.

Ardentbiscuit
12-04-2009, 06:34 AM
The strip use to be awesome!

Some shows I saw at the Viper Room...

Oasis

Eltrafixion with Ian and Will from Echo and the bunnymen.

At the Roxy I saw

Ash

My Bloody Valentine

The Verve

At Billboard live I saw

The Spice Girls (It's sad but true).

At the Whiskey I saw

Henry Rollins band with Mighty Joe Young (Early STP).

Superchunk with Hole, Rocket from the Crypt and Olive Lawn

Elastica

Pennywise

A.F.I.

And many others, it's too early to think.

Just saying, it use to be a lot more jumping!

amyzzz
12-04-2009, 06:34 AM
Fuck off, Tom.

emtgreg
12-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Meh.

If parking wasn't a huge issue they wouldn't have such a huge drop in attendance.

No more shows on the strip for me, unless they are really quite fantastic and worth the 40 dollars in ticket master fees, plus 10-20 dollars in parking, plus the 100 it takes me to drive down there...

beavington
12-04-2009, 08:03 AM
Article about the closing of the Key Club (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/12/trouble-on-the-strip-key-club-closes-hopes-to-reopen-soon.html).

It is probably the most complicated area to go to a show. Traffic is horrible. Parking outrageous. Will the strip fade from any relevance and just be a talking point for L.A. music historians?

wait the strip is still alive? God the last time i went to any show on the strip was in 05. The Whiskey always seemd to have high school band night out. The Roxy seems now to book complete shit, with a rare good act thrown in.

I think "The Strip" died in the 80's. For a short time in the 90's the Whiskey had some good punk shows. The only in West Hollywood worth going to is the Troubadour. Even the HOB hosts shitty events.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-04-2009, 10:06 AM
The strip has really been killed in recent years by companies like Sean Healey Presents and M Productions and their ridiculous Pay-To-Play giant local band lineups.

it's decent money for the venues - book 7 bands in one night, charge them $500 (make them sell tickets, but if they don't sell enough they have to pay the difference) each, and then have a two drink minimum for people coming through the doors.

unfortunately it's completely tarnished any respectability these once legendary clubs had and turned the strip into a wasteland

JorgeC
12-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Troubadour rules, but it's not the Sunset Strip. I agree that parking is horrendous and the only thing that will get me into that area is the rare show from a big band (Ghostland being the most recent) or if i'm supporting friends (had a blast at Cat Club and Viper Room). I'd be really happy if more shows were booked on the east side (east side of LA county...Fox/Glasshouse por vida!).

eskamo951
12-04-2009, 10:37 AM
The Key Club ending concerts early to kick everyone out and turn it into a club has deterred me from going there again...it's pretty shitty to tell the headliner they have 20 min to play their whole set.

PJandBompton
12-04-2009, 11:52 AM
The strip has really been killed in recent years by companies like Sean Healey Presents and M Productions and their ridiculous Pay-To-Play giant local band lineups.

it's decent money for the venues - book 7 bands in one night, charge them $500 (make them sell tickets, but if they don't sell enough they have to pay the difference) each, and then have a two drink minimum for people coming through the doors.

unfortunately it's completely tarnished any respectability these once legendary clubs had and turned the strip into a wasteland

fuck Sean Healy.

hendrixfan143
12-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Pay to play is fucking lame.

JorgeC
12-04-2009, 12:16 PM
The Key Club ending concerts early to kick everyone out and turn it into a club has deterred me from going there again...it's pretty shitty to tell the headliner they have 20 min to play their whole set.

They do this at the Avalon too, but they start the shows super early so all the bands have time to play full sets. Still sucks if the show is during the week since I usually work til 5 or 6.

getbetter
12-04-2009, 12:32 PM
the verve at the viper room would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

i think pomona is actually gaining alot of good bands because now they got fox theater reopen plus the $3 Pabt tall can beers kick fucking ass there. plus if your broke u got Characters which i got to see tornado rider at which is one my favorite new unknown bands

Monklish
12-04-2009, 12:33 PM
The strip was fucking intolerable. Practically any time of day it was just the single most irritating patch of road in all of LA. Fuck that place, I hope it burns.

zenidogx
12-04-2009, 12:35 PM
/thread

Young blood
12-04-2009, 01:16 PM
The heart of LA stopped beating along time ago.

Its my next song.

liquidsnake28
12-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Pay to play is fucking lame.

It's smart on the part of the venues that do this though. There's obviously plenty of crappy bands of rich kids that are more than willing to do this.

beavington
12-04-2009, 01:39 PM

hasnt that been the case for years, since even like the days of hair? Before sean healey

TheWatcher
12-04-2009, 01:50 PM
I've been to a few shows recently at the HOB, and they seem pretty busy. I think they may be around for a while.

I have not been to most of the others, as most of the acts I would want to see are booked at times that I can't go anyway.

I have always been able to find somewhere to park, and the price is not much different than any other concert venue that charges for parking (most).

The Whisky still has interesting shows now and then.

I actually prefer the Sunset Strip in comparison to the Echo/Echoplex. At least I can find it, and the Sunset Strip does have parking lots that are not valet! I hate having to use valet.

Mickjagger00
01-03-2010, 07:37 PM
times are changing....

ficklecycle
01-03-2010, 07:53 PM
I met Interpol at that Tower Records on the night Antics released...

But I agree about parking, it's always such a bitch there.

Caligula
01-03-2010, 08:59 PM
I actually prefer the Sunset Strip in comparison to the Echo/Echoplex. At least I can find it, and the Sunset Strip does have parking lots that are not valet! I hate having to use valet.

the echoplex 'area' is not that safe,especially during the night....it's full of mexicans drug dealers and thieves in general.

TallGuyCM
01-03-2010, 09:08 PM

I've been to the Echo and Echoplex a bunch of times, most in the past year, and I've never paid for parking once. And they're only hard to find the first time, right?

Raptor Clinton
01-03-2010, 09:09 PM
And in four years' time all will hail the Echo Curio.