PDA

View Full Version : The Grammy nominations are worse than usual this year

Neutral Milk Hotel
12-02-2009, 06:14 PM
http://www.grammy.com/grammy_awards/52nd_show/list.aspx

What shit.

The main thing that pisses me off is Veckatimest missing for Best Alternative Album. As a widely loved album that managed to crack the Billboard top ten, I thought this was a no brainer. But I guess an EP of Death Cab for Cutie songs that weren't good enough to make their latest pretty good album was a more deserving nominee.

Boourns
12-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Best new artist:
MGMT

Um, what did they actually do in 2009? That album was big in 2008. They festival whored in 2008.

shakermaker113
12-02-2009, 06:17 PM
there's more money in death cab and mgmt. c'mon now.

suprefan
12-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Aaahh there we go. Yeah they dont like Grizzly Bear.

Hahahaha, best dance recording, David Guetta is the only actual dj in the whole category.

EDIT: BEST ELECTRONIC AND DANCE ALBUM AND LADY GAGA GETS ON IT, HAHAHAHAHAHA.

bleep
12-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Best Bluegrass Album
(Vocal or Instrumental.)
* The Crow / New Songs For The Five-String Banjo
Steve Martin
[Rounder]

wooo! also, go Phoenix.

Wilco listed under Americana eh?

humanoid
weird, the Grammy nominations are lame...who knew?

kitt kat
Simple answer to yr Grizzly Bitchin' = DCFC and MGMT get nationwide radio play. And I'm talking MAJOR radio stations. KROQ plays "Kids" ALL THE FUCKING TIME. And technically, that album came out mad years ago --- like October 2007, right?

Go start yr own indie awards show; in the meantime, sadly accept that Grizzly Bleh will never be nominated for a Grammy. I mean, seriously --- did you guys really think they'd get nominated? The Grammys are nothing but a parade for major label releases and a bunch of crap music. (By this logic, Animal Collective could have gotten nominated, too, as their album hit #13.)

This all being said, in all the piles of shit that make up each category, I can only say:

GAGA for best album, song of the year, and best record! WOOOOOOO. So glad they submitted "Poker Face."

Neutral Milk Hotel
12-02-2009, 06:23 PM
If they can nominate Sigur Ros, they can nominate Grizzly Bear. What's more, nominating Veckatimest doesn't really preclude them from nominating the KROQ bands, given that there are five categories. The Talking Heads are popular and all, but I don't recall the latest Byrne/Eno masterpiece being a radio hit.

At least they didn't drink the Green Day kool-aid.

PJandBompton
12-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Silversun Pickups for best new release? whaaaa and didn't MGMTs' album come out LAST YEAR? i know i'm gonna have a lot more of these moments and i'm only at new releases...

Pearl Jam only got ONE nomination?

NONE for Animal Collective? WTF?

If Mos doesn't win Best Rap Album WOWWWW

Boourns
12-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Grammy winner:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/frankatcoachella/milli-vanilli.jpg

Grammy snubee:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/JimiHendrix2.jpg

humanoid
12-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Silversun Pickups for best new release? whaaaa and didn't MGMTs' album come out LAST YEAR? i know i'm gonna have a lot more of these moments and i'm only at new releases...

Oracular Spectacular Oct 2007...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-02-2009, 06:34 PM
grammies are shite every year. whats new?

PJandBompton
12-02-2009, 06:35 PM
GaGa is gonna win a ton of grammys as well...i'd MUCH rather have her win than the fucking black eyed peas...

Boourns
12-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Grizzly Bear will be nominated for best new artist next year.

Neutral Milk Hotel
12-02-2009, 06:38 PM
That's a few years too soon. Try 2013.

suprefan
12-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Simple answer to yr Grizzly Bitchin' = DCFC and MGMT get nationwide radio play. And I'm talking MAJOR radio stations. KROQ plays "Kids" ALL THE FUCKING TIME. And technically, that album came out mad years ago --- like October 2007, right?

Go start yr own indie awards show; in the meantime, sadly accept that Grizzly Bleh will never be nominated for a Grammy. I mean, seriously --- did you guys really think they'd get nominated? The Grammys are nothing but a parade for major label releases and a bunch of crap music. (By this logic, Animal Collective could have gotten nominated, too, as their album hit #13.)

This all being said, in all the piles of shit that make up each category, I can only say:

GAGA for best album, song of the year, and best record! WOOOOOOO. So glad they submitted "Poker Face."

So you actually are suprised Gaga got nominated? And Poker Face was the obvious choice, I dont think there was anything else they would have chosen to even nominate. That was easy to figure out give me a break. And yet you are cheering for the artist that is in the thick of the parade of major labels and the crap. Quit while youre ahead. Go To Staples Center next year in your costume afternoon of the awards and let everyone take pictures with you, that will boost your ego.

GaGa is gonna win a ton of grammys as well...i'd MUCH rather have her win than the fucking black eyed peas...

She can only win 5. Unlike Beyonce who can win 10, or Taylor Swift who got 8 out of sympathy over the kanye b.s. And Kanye got 6!!! HA

HunterGather
12-02-2009, 06:42 PM
It's Gagas and Beyonces year :D

And the dance recording should go to David Guetta, as its the best on that list.
Surely there were other good dance recordings this year?
Celebration is ok..

But anyways, grammys suck, but of course I'll be watching.

Sushov23
12-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Didn't the first SSPU album come out in the summer of 2006? hahaahahah.

Neutral Milk Hotel
12-02-2009, 06:52 PM
MGMT's debut album out in 2005. So, almost half a decade ago.

humanoid
12-02-2009, 07:06 PM
after perusing the rest of the list, Lady Gaga is one of the more appealing nominees
(and not solely because of her penis)

shakermaker113
12-02-2009, 07:07 PM
c'mon, the grammies do us a great service. every year they give us a whole lot of reasons to bitch and complain on the internet. what more do you want?

humanoid
12-02-2009, 07:07 PM
that's all I want

WhyTheLongFace
12-02-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm on A Boat is nominated for best hip hop song. Fuck The Grammies!

Gribbz
12-02-2009, 07:10 PM
But think of the impact of that song. I mean... don't you wish you were on a boat right now?

Neutral Milk Hotel
12-02-2009, 07:10 PM
c'mon, the grammies do us a great service. every year they give us a whole lot of reasons to bitch and complain on the internet. what more do you want?

Grammys going to bands that are good would be pretty cool

HunterGather
12-02-2009, 07:11 PM
ahem. best rap/sung collaboration.
There's a difference.
There's a difference.

shakermaker113
12-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Grammys going to bands that are good would be pretty cool

...but this is so much more entertaining:

I'm on A Boat is nominated for best hip hop song.

humanoid
12-02-2009, 07:14 PM
But think of the impact of that song. I mean... don't you wish you were on a boat right now?

it's dark and cold out right now, a boat doesn't really sound all that appealing... how about tomorrow?

WhyTheLongFace
12-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Chuck English shares my sentiments

RT @Chuckisdope Rap sucks so bad that ... "I'm on a boat" is nominated for a Grammy .... Yeah.... Forreal. Repeat that back to yourself

Gribbz
12-02-2009, 07:24 PM
it's dark and cold out right now, a boat doesn't really sound all that appealing... how about tomorrow?

Exactly. "I'm On a Boat" gives us hope for tomorrow.

dorkfish
12-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Grammy-nominated LMFAO

paulb
12-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Best Metal Performance
(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

Set To Fail
Lamb Of God
Track from: Wrath
[Epic]

Grammys FTW!

Best Rap Performance By A Duo Or Group
(For duo, group or collaborative performances of Rap only. Singles or Tracks only.)

Too Many Rappers
Beastie Boys & Nas
[Capitol]

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-02-2009, 07:55 PM
i am pretty shocked that Mastodon wasn't nominated for the Metal category

paulb
12-02-2009, 07:59 PM
what the fuck was up with Unforgiven III nominated for a grammy? thats a fuckin terrible song!!!

Kid B
12-02-2009, 08:02 PM
They'll still win because every time Metallica gets nominated, they have to compensate for what happened years ago with Jethro Tull.

Kid B
12-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Lonely Island should perform

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IfbF-A7zN84&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IfbF-A7zN84&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

shakermaker113
12-02-2009, 08:18 PM
what the fuck was up with Unforgiven III nominated for a grammy? thats a fuckin terrible song!!!

do you still think the people that nominate songs actually listen to them first?

luckyface
12-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Wow! An award show that:

- means absolutely nothing
- everyone on this board hates
- gets ripped on for their consistently shitty picks

makes shitty picks and you act surprised and/or offended? How dare they not nominate music I like! Seriously, get over it. Who cares?

Kid B
12-02-2009, 08:25 PM
As long as Kanye West interrupts Beyonce's acceptance speech to say how Taylor Swift had one of the best albums of all time, I'll be watching.

WhyTheLongFace
12-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Wow! An award show that:

makes shitty picks and you act surprised and/or offended? How dare they not nominate music I like! Seriously, get over it. Who cares?

But they can't be all bad they gave us this
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sym835TMSNk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sym835TMSNk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BlackSwan
12-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Phoenix, David Byrne & Brian Eno, and Mos Def are in there.

fatbastard
12-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Chicken fried for the win.

Grant
12-02-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm happy for SSPU... But it's kind of weird to nominate them for best new artist. And I agree with everyone complaining about why Grizzly Bear wasn't nominated for best alternative album. I think Phoenix has a good shot at winning.

BlackSwan
12-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Chicken fried for the win.

I deep fried my Thanksgiving leftovers and it was a very good idea.

juloxx
12-02-2009, 09:05 PM
The more I read that the more I raged. I want to kill every single person in charge of that list

I mean wtf? Best rap album Relapse? I love Eminem, but that in no way was that a good album, or at least worth rap album of the year.

All that Lady Gaga, David Guetta, and All the Single Ladies nominations literally just pisses me the fuck off. I was just about to sleep too, that shit aint gonna be happening now.

whynotsmile99
12-02-2009, 09:10 PM
those really are the worst pics for album of the year ever.

humanoid
12-02-2009, 09:13 PM
anger over Grammy nominations will keep you from sleeping? See a therapist, that's not healthy.

summerkid
12-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Wow! An award show that:

Look I expect the grammy's to make shitty nominations but at least nominate shitty people that released albums this year. Why the hell is MGMT nominated for an album that came out in 2007 that makes no fucking sense! Jesus Christ Grammy's can't you even do that?

tessalasset
12-02-2009, 10:31 PM
How did Slumdog Millionaire get nominated? Didn't they win Oscars for that soundtrack for last year already?

If the fucking Twilight soundtrack got nominated, sure as hell New Moon will be next year. Psyched that True Blood got nominated too. That's pretty much the only category I care about after looking through those nominees.

Awww also psyched that John Fogerty was nominated again. His live show has been so amped up lately.

tessalasset
12-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Damn, Brendon O'Brien was a busy fucking engineer last year:

# Black Ice (AC/DC) (A)
# Crack The Skye (Mastodon) (A)
# The Fixer (Pearl Jam) (S)
# Killswitch Engage (Killswitch Engage) (A)
# Working On A Dream (Bruce Springsteen) (A)

tessalasset
12-02-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm happy for SSPU... But it's kind of weird to nominate them for best new artist.

it's so subjective is the thing:

The official guidelines are as follows: For a new artist who releases, during the Eligibility Year, (October 1, 2008 through August 31, 2009) the first recording which establishes the public identity of that artist. Note that this is not necessarily the first album released by an artist.

Edit: Swoon was released on April 14, 2009. Have they released anything since then? I'm confused. Does the Eligibility Year just mean 2009 then?

JewFace
12-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Terrible, yes, but I don't know if they're really worse than usual. Last year was a bit of an anomaly with some quality artists nominated in the top categories not just in the fringe ones like Best Alternative Album (which always, without fail, has the most interesting nominees).

Best New Artist can be quite ridiculous. It's more about when an artist has first come to the [very] general public's attention, rather than when their first album is released. I think that Shelby Lynne had released 5 or 6 albums when she won that award.

Predictions...

RECORD OF THE YEAR:
(puzzled as to why Single Ladies wasn't nominated here as it surely would have won even though everyone's sick to death of it now)
Lady GaGa - Poker Face

ALBUM OF THE YEAR:
Dave Matthews Band - Big Whiskey And The Groogrux King

SONG OF THE YEAR:
Kings of Leon - Use Somebody

BEST NEW ARTIST:
(I can't figure this one out. This is one of the main 4 awards so all voting members can vote for this one, so I would assume it would go to the artist with the most name recognition. Zac Brown Band = too country, Keri Hilson = too urban, MGMT = too "arty", Ting Tings = too gimmicky/"one-hit wondery")
Silversun Pickups

ALTERNATIVE ALBUM:
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz

JewFace
12-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Edit: Swoon was released on April 14, 2009. Have they released anything since then? I'm confused. Does the Eligibility Year just mean 2009 then?

Tess the answer is directly in the language you quoted. To be eligible for a Grammy Award, the album or single had to be released from October 1, 2008 through August 31, 2009. Anything released before October 1 or after August 31 would qualify for the previous or next Grammy awards respectively. That's how a song that fees like it came out so long ago (Single Ladies) gets in.

tessalasset
12-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Oh god, my bad. I wrote April 14, 2009 and in my head the whole time I was thinking 2008. Yes, it definitely falls within the Eligibility Year.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-02-2009, 11:11 PM
what I don't get about Silversun Pickups is that clearly Lazy Eye and even more so their 2007 Coachella performance "established their public identity"

TallGuyCM
12-02-2009, 11:36 PM
We should be GLAD that Grizzly Bear didn't get nominated. The Grammys don't mean shit, why do you even want them nominated? What I like about going to shows with bands like GB playing is that you don't have any bro motherfuckers wearing Nickelback shirts that have terrible taste in music otherwise. Give them worldwide Grammy exposure, and that'll happen.

JewFace
12-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Give them worldwide Grammy exposure, and that'll happen.

If they were nominated for Best New Artist, yes. But if they were nominated for Best Alternative Album this wouldn't be the case. They don't even broadcast that award as it's not deemed telecast worthy. I think it's even given out before the actual ceremony in some tiny auditorium or something along with awards for categories like Best Polka Vocal Collaboration.

Abe Lincoln
12-03-2009, 12:25 AM
They are clearly just flat-out stupid also,nominating Kathy Griffin again....

PJandBompton
12-03-2009, 01:02 AM
OK. i love DMB...BUT HOW THE FUCK ARE THEY NOMINATED FOR ALBUM OF THE YEAR FOR AN ALBUM THAT IS DEDICATED TO A MEMBER WHO PASSED AWAY THAT THE GRAMMYS DIDN'T EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE PASSED AWAY LAST YEAR DURING THE MEMORIES SEGMENT? bullshit. wow.

deuxmio
12-03-2009, 01:30 AM
Adele got nominated for "Best Female Pop Vocal Performance" again this year for "Hometown Glory". She won last year for "Chasing Pavements". Both songs are from 19, which came out in January of 2008. Is she going to be nominated again next year for another song from the same record?? Stay tuned!

JewFace
12-03-2009, 01:39 AM
Is this really that hard to understand? Artists sometimes release singles over 2 year periods. It's to do with when the single is released. Hometown Glory must have been released during this eligibility year. That's how U2 won Record of the Year for Beautiful Day in 2001 and Walk On in 2002. Both songs from the same album. Now the album itself could only be nominated in album categories in the eligibility year in which it was released.

Not that anyone in this country buys singles anymore.

Why the hell do I know this shit?

HunterGather
12-03-2009, 01:56 AM
It's like when people were being dumb (here) when Daft won the 2009 award for Alive 2007.
They didn't get it...
Alive 2007 was released after the eligibility for the 2008 awards, so it wasn't until the 2009 awards that it was able to be nominated.

Monklish
12-03-2009, 02:10 AM
JewFaceFACE

tessalasset
12-03-2009, 02:38 AM
i only recently in the past few years learned what the term "face" meant. that was before my time.

Monklish
12-03-2009, 02:45 AM
PRE-FACE

superfiction
12-03-2009, 03:18 AM
seriously. while the grammies suck every year. this year is particularly laughable. especially with all the good music that came out this year.

...always good to see a lot of it getting snubbed

Boourns
12-03-2009, 03:27 AM
It's like when people were being dumb (here) when Daft won the 2009 award for Alive 2007.
They didn't get it...
Alive 2007 was released after the eligibility for the 2008 awards, so it wasn't until the 2009 awards that it was able to be nominated.

Yes, and MGMT was released after the eligibility for the 2008 awards, around the same time as Alive 2007, so it wasn't able to be nominated until the 2009 awards. But instead it is nominated for the 2010 awards. How do you explain the extra year?

deuxmio
12-03-2009, 04:28 AM
Is this really that hard to understand? Artists sometimes release singles over 2 year periods. It's to do with when the single is released. Hometown Glory must have been released during this eligibility year.

Hometown Glory was first released as a single on February 5, 2008 and re-released on July 21, 2008. Grammy eligibility period for the 2010 awards is October 1, 2008 to August 31, 2009.

JewFace
12-03-2009, 06:44 AM
Oh okay. Then I have no fucking clue. I temped at the Recording Academy for a week earlier this year. I remember seeing a massive tome filled with all the rules of eligibility for the Awards so I'm sure there's some reason it's eligible.

Grant
12-03-2009, 07:18 AM

what I don't get about Silversun Pickups is that clearly Lazy Eye and even more so their 2007 Coachella performance "established their public identity"

This.

LooseAtTheZoo
12-03-2009, 07:27 AM
I just got around to reading these. How the Grammys can retain any sort of artistic credibility is unbelievable to me.

shakermaker113
12-03-2009, 07:45 AM
it's funny to see everyone get so worked up about the grammys sucking. it's like getting annoyed at gravity.

suprefan
12-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Only Kitt Katt is happy cause she found another reason to wear her hallloween costume on a day other than on halloween.

shakermaker113
12-03-2009, 08:19 AM
she's going to dress up as lady gaga because of the grammys? I'm confused.

TallGuyCM
12-03-2009, 09:35 AM
OK. i love DMB...BUT HOW THE FUCK ARE THEY NOMINATED FOR ALBUM OF THE YEAR FOR AN ALBUM THAT IS DEDICATED TO A MEMBER WHO PASSED AWAY THAT THE GRAMMYS DIDN'T EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE PASSED AWAY LAST YEAR DURING THE MEMORIES SEGMENT? bullshit. wow.

Big big QFT for this one...didn't even think of that.

suprefan
12-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Big big QFT for this one...didn't even think of that.

Its going to win album of the year btw. Sasha Fierce or Gagarama have no chance.

TommyboyUNM
12-03-2009, 09:47 AM

When will people learn that the vast majority of the population isn't aware of or doesn't give a shit about Coachella?

TallGuyCM
12-03-2009, 09:50 AM
When will people learn that the vast majority of the population isn't aware of or doesn't give a shit about Coachella?

I prefer it that way.

TommyboyUNM
12-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Yes, and MGMT was released after the eligibility for the 2008 awards, around the same time as Alive 2007, so it wasn't able to be nominated until the 2009 awards. But instead it is nominated for the 2010 awards. How do you explain the extra year?

Alright Frank, multiple choice/fill in the blank:

The official guidelines are as follows: For a new artist who releases, during the Eligibility Year, (October 1, 2008 through August 31, 2009) the first recording which establishes the public identity of that artist. Note that this is not necessarily the first album released by an artist.

The "Kids" single was released October 13, 2008. Therefore, it would be eligible for the ___ Grammy Awards.

A. 2007
B. 2008
C. 2010
D. Asobi Seksu

And I think I know what you're going to say, but check out the logic. "Kids" was nominated for best single something or another. MGMT was nominated for Best New Artist. It would be logical to assume that, under the guidelines, "Kids" would be the thing that thrust MGMT into the public consciousness. So it makes sense that they're nominated for Best New Artist this year.

bobert
12-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Best new artist:
MGMT

Um, what did they actually do in 2009? That album was big in 2008. They festival whored in 2008.

Well, at least they are relatively new artists. Think about how Feist felt a couple years back when she was nominated for Best New Artist, despite the fact that she'd been making music for over a decade and had several prior albums and tours under her belt before the Grammy voters saw her in an Ipod commercial and wondered who that fresh faced new artist was. It's got to be the dumbest the category in any award show I can think of.

TallGuyCM
12-03-2009, 10:06 AM

The "Kids" single was released October 13, 2008. Therefore, it would be eligible for the ___ Grammy Awards.

A. 2007
B. 2008
C. 2010
D. Asobi Seksu

:rotfl

TallGuyCM
12-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Well, at least they are relatively new artists. Think about how Feist felt a couple years back when she was nominated for Best New Artist, despite the fact that she'd been making music for over a decade and had several prior albums and tours under her belt before the Grammy voters saw her in an Ipod commercial and wondered who that fresh faced new artist was. It's got to be the dumbest the category in any award show I can think of.

I remember similar sentiments when Green Day won Best New Artist after Dookie came out. They had already had, what 2 albums before that? Not exactly new.

Boourns
12-03-2009, 10:10 AM

A. 2007
B. 2008
C. 2010
D. Asobi Seksu

And I think I know what you're going to say, but check out the logic. "Kids" was nominated for best single something or another. MGMT was nominated for Best New Artist. It would be logical to assume that, under the guidelines, "Kids" would be the thing that thrust MGMT into the public consciousness. So it makes sense that they're nominated for Best New Artist this year.

What about Time to Pretend or Electric Feel? Those were pretty ubliquitous before Kids rolled around.

TommyboyUNM
I remember similar sentiments when Green Day won Best New Artist after Dookie came out. They had already had, what 2 albums before that? Not exactly new.

But you guys need to understand there are 2 worlds. The world we live in where we are consumed by music and hear about everything before anybody else. Then there's the other world that only listens to the radio and is aware of no more than 5 or 6 artists at any given time.

This "outrage" over Grammy nominations is kind of funny yet bizarre.

bobert

Right. The message it sends is pretty blatant and unapologetic. You're not an artist until you sell at least a million albums.

TommyboyUNM
12-03-2009, 10:13 AM
What about Time to Pretend or Electric Feel? Those were pretty ubliquitous before Kids rolled around.

They apparently thought Kids was the song that got them there. It's subjective, but their logic does make sense.

bobert
12-03-2009, 10:13 AM
This "outrage" over Grammy nominations is kind of funny yet bizarre.

True, I recognize the stupidity of it all but am almost always intrigued by what the music industry considers to be the most exceptional work of the year.

TallGuyCM
12-03-2009, 10:15 AM
At least last year the Robert Plant and Alison Krauss album got a lot of love, I'm not a big fan of bluegrass and that kind of thing and have only heard a few songs from the album but at least it's not terrible music like virtually everything nominated this year.

Boourns
12-03-2009, 10:17 AM

Hahaha, I completely forgot that Feist was nominated for that. Didn't some previous winner mention during the acceptance speech that she had eight or so albums before then?

TommyboyUNM
12-03-2009, 10:18 AM
True, I recognize the stupidity of it all but am almost always intrigued by what the music industry considers to be the most exceptional work of the year.

I don't think the music industry even thinks most of these nominees put out the most exceptional work of the year. They just want people to watch the show in masses. In order for that to happen, they need to highlight artists that the general public is familiar with. Most normal, non music geek people know who Lady Gaga is. And they can form an (uneducated) opinion about whether she deserves a Grammy. That's not the case for Grizzly Bear because normal people don't know who the fuck that is.

Boourns
12-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Don't forget about how they didn't want Radiohead to perform at the 1998 Grammys because they were "bad for ratings"

bobert
12-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Well, what constitutes exceptional to them is an artist or album that sells exceptionally well. All award shows are inherently retarded, but at least the Oscars occasionally nominates movies no one has ever heard of - the movie gains notoriety and exposure because of the nomination. Seems like that never happens at the Grammys.

TallGuyCM
12-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Artists whose songs are played to such a relentless level of overkill are usually rewarded with Grammys. Congratulations, Kings of Leon.

Mammoth85
12-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Who gives a toss about the Grammy's anyway? Anyone of worth will agree that they are a total joke.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-03-2009, 11:19 AM
I think it's just discouraging that as hardcore music fans, the one big set of awards for the thing we love is trite and utter bullshit

TickleMeElmo
12-03-2009, 12:31 PM

Actually, they did but not in the video segment.

TallGuyCM
12-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Actually, they did but not in the video segment.

What other segment was there?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-03-2009, 02:58 PM
WOW, i just saw that a project I worked on is nominated for a Grammy...that's pretty damn cool

Field 17 — Spoken Word

Category 78

Best Spoken Word Album (Includes Poetry, Audio Books & Story Telling)

* Always Looking Up
Michael J. Fox
[Hyperion Audio]
* Jonathan Winters — A Very Special Time
Jonathan Winters (Music By Verne Langdon & Skip Edwards)
[Dejavu Record Company/The Orchard]
* The Lincoln-Douglas Debates
Richard Dreyfuss & David Strathairn

[B]* The Maltese Falcon (Dashiell Hammett)
Various Artists Including Michael Madsen, Sandra Oh, Edward Herrmann & Others
Yuri Rasovsky & Josh Stanton, producers
[Blackstone Audio Inc.]
* We Can Have Peace In The Holy Land
Jimmy Carter
[Simon & Schuster Audio]
* Wishful Drinking
Carrie Fisher
[Simon & Schuster Audio]

That was a fun fucking project to record too!

microcuts
12-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Glad for Depeche Mode's two nominations as well as Imogen Heap. The best new artist one is fun, too. All the other nominees are pretty nauseating. Not like that's any surprise.

TomAz
12-04-2009, 06:20 AM
I think it's just discouraging that as hardcore music fans, the one big set of awards for the thing we love is trite and utter bullshit

The older you get, the more you realize that this is true of just about everything in life.

ShyGuy75
12-04-2009, 06:31 AM
No Thrice? No Killers?

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj20/coachella75/MM.gif

WTF!!!

Neutral Milk Hotel
12-04-2009, 06:38 AM
No Thrice? No Killers?

http://www.booksforme.com/images/thankgod.jpg

Fixed.

HunterGather
12-04-2009, 07:03 AM
It just occurred to me that Basement Jaxx didn't at least get the best dance recording nod for Raindrops.
Lame.

JebusLives
12-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Try the Canadian awards (Junos)... Tragically Hip/Nickleback/Rush/Celine win every. fucking. year. I don't even think they're required to release albums anymore.

I think Arcade Fire was nominated once (and lost) for best new artist.

MissingPerson
12-04-2009, 07:55 AM
61aaEq1rLxw

paulthomasanderson
12-08-2009, 07:39 PM
And so it continues...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nt2kM0TsubU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nt2kM0TsubU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

TickleMeElmo
12-08-2009, 07:44 PM
What other segment was there?

I guess they have the full list in the pamphlet they give to the audience members and he was listed on there. Not everyone is featured in that video, it would take too long.