PDA

View Full Version : Acts you regret Never having seen When you had the chance...

EastLos01
12-02-2009, 09:28 AM
One of my bigget regrets in my musical life, was never having seen James Brown Live when I had the chance. He would make regular appearances at HOB Sunset and everytime I saw he was going to be there I always told myself that I'd see him next time.

In Comedy, I regret Never having seen George Carlin perform even though I also had alot of opportunities.

I've made a point to not pass up chances I have to see acts I know I want to, but it was a lesson that was learned the hard way.

Any acts you all wanted to see but never got the chance?

amyzzz
12-02-2009, 09:31 AM
What's with this random capitaliztions of words? Are you German?

El.C.Dub
12-02-2009, 09:32 AM
nirvana

EastLos01
12-02-2009, 09:37 AM
What's with this random capitaliztions of words? Are you German?

I wish I had an answer for you... Its just a bad habbit I picked up and never could get rid of.

reverb
12-02-2009, 09:46 AM
One of my bigget regrets in my musical life, was never having seen James Brown Live when I had the chance.

hahaha he's my biggest regret as well. back in the 80's l.a. had a street scene in downtown...i went to see the chili peppers, who played right before mr. brown. it was kinda funny to see the 2 very disparate crowds in conflict. anyway, in the ignorance of my youth, we split right after the peppers. i have come to rue that day.

shotglass75
12-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Pink Floyd - Division Bell Tour
Nirvana - In Utero Tour

seandlr
12-02-2009, 09:54 AM
There's a thread for this already.

amyzzz
12-02-2009, 09:55 AM
I regret not bothering to travel for Radiohead's Ok Computer, Kid A, and Amneisac tours and Bjork's tours. WTF was I thinking.

Cdubby
12-02-2009, 09:57 AM
too many to mention, thats why i've been playing catch up the last few years, just trying to check them off. sadly i will never be able to do that for nirvana, at the drive in, or live (rip nevar forget) now.

amyzzz
12-02-2009, 10:02 AM
I can at least say I saw Nirvana a couple times, although my experience wasn't that great. (obscured view of stage the first time and at the fair in the crappy Coliseum the second time)

humanoid
12-02-2009, 10:06 AM
I regret not bothering to travel for Radiohead's Ok Computer, Kid A, and Amneisac tours and Bjork's tours. WTF was I thinking.

you can be forgiven for the Kid A tour, since it was all overseas or only 3 shows in North America. I luckily got to go the Greek Theater show in LA, but could have sold my tix for $1500...I had to think hard about that one, but still went. (it was amazzzing)

my biggest concert regret...probably taking my girlfriend at the time to that Kid A tour radiohead show and having her immediately tell me...."uh, it was alright, nothing special"

I can't think of a band that I never got to see that I actually had a chance to...

amyzzz
12-02-2009, 10:14 AM
More like I can be forgiven because I had a newborn baby right around the whole Kid A/Amnesiac thing. I also missed the last Catherine Wheel tour because of my newborn (I went to a "pre" tour when I was 7 months pregnant at least). Oh and NIN Fragile tour. Missed that too.

humanoid
12-02-2009, 10:17 AM
More like I can be forgiven because I had a newborn baby right around the whole Kid A/Amnesiac thing. I also missed the last Catherine Wheel tour because of my newborn (I went to a "pre" tour when I was 7 months pregnant at least). Oh and NIN Fragile tour. Missed that too.

well, if I had been more familiar with the chronology of your life, I may have been able to forgive you using the newborn baby excuse. You're right, that is valid.

humanoid
12-02-2009, 10:28 AM
I just remembered mine....although I finally got to see them at Coachella '08, so the pain has subsided somewhat

I had a chance to see Portishead in 1998 and blew it off for something completely ridiculous instead...I regretted that poor decision for an entire decade

Pixiessp
12-02-2009, 12:13 PM
I wish I had an answer for you... Its just a bad hobbit I picked up and never could get rid of.

I hate when that happens.

getbetter
12-02-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm would say james brown and not seening enough NIN.Not seening the NIN/David Bowie would probly be the biggest then not seening the la show of daft punk (even those i saw the vegoose and coachella performance)

o yeah the knife would be 3rd

Pixiessp
12-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Ella Fitzgerald and Celia Cruz. I was going to go with my dad but he backed out of both.

Devin the Dude
12-02-2009, 12:23 PM
is it unforgiveable that i missed Q & Not U, Radiohead, The Pixies, and Kraftwerk in '04, even though i had hard tickets, didn't sell them to anyone, and just stayed home doing homework that weekend?

lulz

amyzzz
12-02-2009, 12:31 PM
pretty much. I missed Kraftwerk though.

SFChrissy
12-02-2009, 12:44 PM
the white stripes

I did see Nirvana a few times and my experience was awesome and in seattle!!!

TallGuyCM
12-02-2009, 12:52 PM
I was in 8th grade when Kurt died, and I guess if I mowed a bunch of lawns or some shit I could have saved up money and gotten my mom to drive me to the Forum a few months ahead of time for the stop on the In Utero tour. I don't know though.

I don't really have any regrets, although as kind of a reverse answer my biggest consolation is that I saw Rage Against the Machine at the Forum in '99 on the Battle of Los Angeles tour, and they broke up the following year. That show is still in my Top 5 shows of my life after all this time.

psycobetabuckdown
12-02-2009, 12:56 PM
i have a feeling i'm gonna have steven wright on this list someday. maybe the rolling stones. amy winehouse?

i can't really think of anyone who's died or broken up that i missed out on.

fatbastard
12-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Miles

hendrixfan143
12-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Guy :(

betao
12-02-2009, 01:04 PM
I could've seen NIN and Massive Attack on their 06 tours, but didnt. I really regret not going to the NIN one. It came to Richmond and it had a good setlist.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-02-2009, 01:10 PM
I wish I saw Tool pre-Lateralus

I wish i could have gone to the NIN?Bowie show at the Forum in 1995

I have never seen RadioHead nor Bjork and wish i could have been at several of their tours because I love so many of their albums

I wish I saw Face To Face when they toured for Ignorance is Bliss because they will never play material from that album again (save for one song, maybe)

I wish i saw Stabbing Westward before they sucked (the one time I saw them was two days before the last album came out - they played the whole new album, the entire audience fell asleep, and then the band broke up a month later)

I'm sad I've never seen Massive Attack, Underworld, Orbital, or Daft punk, but I imagine I still have a good chance of doing just that

Totally broken up bands I wish saw BADLY: The Refused, Sense Field (original lineup before they turned into shit), Jawbox, Jawbreaker, Shiner, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Samhain, Misfits

I could definitely think of some more

amyzzz
12-02-2009, 01:14 PM
I wish i could have gone to the NIN?Bowie show at the Forum in 1995

I went to that show.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-02-2009, 01:23 PM
I went to that show.

RAWR. I was only 13 at the time, so it couldn't really happen

Boourns
12-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Pulp (never really had a chance, though)
Elliott Smith (had a few chances, really dropped the ball here)
David Bowie (tried to catch Area2, but had to burn my tickets for less than half price at the last minute, but why the fuck didn't I see him in the 2003 tour?)
Michael Jackson
Broken Social Scene (their free show at UCLA or when they played Silverlake Lounge or when they played the Fonda with Feist)
U2 (before they started releasing nothing but crap...they also came to town when I was a kid and Pixies opened)
Neutral Milk Hotel (did I ever have the chance? not that I knew who they were back then, anyway)
Gorillaz (should have gone to the 9:30 Club show, was actually old enough)
Nirvana (came to town once but I didn't listen to music or anything back then, anyway)
James Brown
The Knife (wasn't in town for their one and only LA show, and they weren't really on my radar yet anyway)

Acts I have seen but wish I had seen earlier:
Metric (when they lived in LA and played places like Silverlake Lounge and still played all that Old World Underground... material)
Feist (when she played small venues like the Troubadour, I mean)
Radiohead (I was in school and not old enough to get into the 9:30 Club, which was 4 hours away and the closest they ever came, besides opening for Belly in 1993)
Prince (actually played The Norva years ago, should have tried to get a ticket, which was apparently close to impossible, but still, should have tried)
Air (specifically the Hollywood Bowl gig)
Cat Power (back when she was crazy)

rage patton
12-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Death From Above 1979.

That is going to eat away at my soul for the rest of my life.

amyzzz
12-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Ok, I regret not going to the Belly/Radiohead tour too. Why not. I liked both bands at one point.

MarkO
12-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Rory Gallagher : knew the name but not the music until it was too late. RIP.

I should and could have seen PJ several times before this year. Millstreet '96 and the Gorge '06 in particular.

Cookieman908
12-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Simon & Garfunkel: : Last reunion tour was in 2004. Despite reports that a few more shows might be in the works, I'm skeptical I'll ever get a chance to see them.

The Knife: Only tour dates ever were in 2006 and I wasn't hip to them yet. I also missed my chance to see Fever Ray this summer. Idiocy.

Portishead: If I knew they weren't gonna play any other shows for 2+ years and counting I might have made the trip to Indio just to see them.

Rammstein: Despite their huge popularity overseas, they haven't played a North American date since 2001. I almost went to that show but bailed out due to money issues. Lame.

Midnight Oil: I also could have seen them in 2001 but bailed because of the same reason as the Rammstein show. They haven't played on our continent since. And of course, lead singer Peter Garrett is now Australia's minister of the Environment so it's unlikely that band will ever get back together full-time.

JorgeC
12-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Death From Above 1979.

THIS! I think they played the Troubadour once, didn't go cuz i didn't want to drive out that far. I don't make that same mistake now...bands @ the Troubadour > than any other venue

Also regret never seeing Curve or Lamb, though i'm not sure i really had a chance to see either one.

bmack86
12-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Simon and Garfunkel did New Zealand and Australia this summer. There's gonna be more shows, you wait.

zenidogx
12-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Belle and Sebastian at the Hollywood Bowl. :(

Grant
12-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Psychedelic Furs/Happy Mondays, Spiritualized, The Cranberries. Gotta save that pay-paaa

As for Coachella '08... :(

Still-ill
12-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Jesus Lizard this year... I had to sell my ticket because I was so horridly ill. I almost ignored it and went anyways, but when I yacked out the window of my car, I drove back home and gave the ticket to my roommates douchebag friend. Fucker. (I'm still ill thinking about it)

Mr.Nipples
12-02-2009, 09:32 PM
grandaddy
wire before bruce gilbert left

Still-ill
12-02-2009, 09:39 PM
wire before bruce gilbert left
Oh fuck... this too.

sonnyboy11
12-02-2009, 10:05 PM
The only band I truly regret never seeing was Queen. I lived in Albuquerque in their heyday (74-83) and the closest they ever came was Denver, CO on their tour for The Game. I remember thinking about figuring some way out to get up there but I was only 14 at the time and didn't have many options. I'll never live down missing who I consider the greatest big stage rock vocalist/performer thus far in Freddie Mercury.

woogie846
12-02-2009, 10:13 PM
I've seen NIN six times, but I seriously regret missing their Lights in the Sky tour. I have no idea what I was thinking.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-02-2009, 10:51 PM
OH i remembered today how much i regret having never QUICKSAND. And related, I had a ticket to see RIVAL SCHOOLS at the Troubadour, then they canceled, and then broke up. They've done a couple reunion shows recently, but nothing on the west coast yet.

I also regret not seeing both hot Water Music and Small Brown Bike a LOT more when I had the chances. And Cave in.

Fuck.

fikus222
12-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Offhand: Morphine at the SF Fillmore in '95, Raconteurs at Bimbo's in '05, David Gilmour at the Paramount Theater in '06, Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails (who I first saw a year later) at the San Jose Auditorium in '94, Grateful Dead in Oakland '94, Pink Floyd in Oakland '94...and that's all that comes to mind right now.

Boourns
12-02-2009, 11:26 PM
NIN with Marilyn Manson...was 13 and not allowed to go to such a thing, lol.

fikus222
12-02-2009, 11:32 PM
NIN with Marilyn Manson...was 13 and not allowed to go to such a thing, lol.

Sh!t, I was 16 (or almost so) and still wasn't allowed to go.

Abe Lincoln
12-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Miles Davis.
Pavement on their first tour in London,because of the fucking touts.
Daft Punk.

amyzzz
12-03-2009, 07:30 AM
haha Rammstein. I was going to see them with Jacob, but they cancelled due to problems with the pyrotechnics. I regret not seeing them, but it wasn't really my fault. They never came back after that.

gaypalmsprings
12-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Grateful Dead

ficklecycle
12-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Death From Above 1979.

They played the El Rey here in LA in like 2006 or 2005. One of the craziest shows I've ever been to.

My BIGGEST regret is not seeing Interpol all those times at The Fonda, Hollywood Palladium. My aunt went though, that's what makes it worst.

Other than that, I've never really dropped the ball on anyone.

I was seriously this close to missing Daft at Coachella though.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-03-2009, 09:01 AM
haha Rammstein. I was going to see them with Jacob, but they cancelled due to problems with the pyrotechnics. I regret not seeing them, but it wasn't really my fault. They never came back after that.

Their July 4, 2001 show in L.A. is to date still one of the most fun shows I have ever been to. I still can't believe they were able to get away with all of that pyrotechnic work inside of the Palace. it was completely nuts

amyzzz
12-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Yeah, well, they never came back. I would've gone.

Pixiessp
12-03-2009, 09:33 AM
I missed seeing Lush in San Francisco by one day. My friends will attest to the fact that I was inconsolable.

AlecEiffel
12-03-2009, 09:36 AM
OH i remembered today how much i regret having never QUICKSAND. And related, I had a ticket to see RIVAL SCHOOLS at the Troubadour, then they canceled, and then broke up. They've done a couple reunion shows recently, but nothing on the west coast yet.

I also regret not seeing both hot Water Music and Small Brown Bike a LOT more when I had the chances. And Cave in.

Fuck.

Dude, hate to break it to you, but Rival Schools played San Francisco, L.A. and San Diego a little over a year ago. I saw them in SF, it was killer.

Also, Cave In is still together. You'll have a chance.

juloxx
12-03-2009, 03:43 PM
I never really had the chance because I was too young, but I would have killed to go to The Up In Smokes Tour (Dre, Snoop, Westside Connection, DJ Quik, Warren G, Tha Dogg Pound, Nate Dogg, Eminem, Xzibit and more...)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DP1IJcfh5RE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DP1IJcfh5RE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_LMkoF-embo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_LMkoF-embo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mahhhc
12-03-2009, 04:01 PM
I had tickets to see Patti Smith for the last show at CBGB but didn't hit confirm fast enough.

Should have seen NIN/QOTSA/DFA1979 show, but it was my freshman year of college and I couldn't find someone to go with. Big Mistake.

Jesus and Mary Chain and Portishead both played while I was living in London but I had no way to get to those shows. Also a huge mistake.

Still have yet to see Jack White in any form which makes me really sad as well.

HunterGather
12-03-2009, 04:16 PM
While I saw the Lights In The Sky Tour at Lollapalooza in Chicago from a descent spot, I really wanted to see a solo gig.
So I nearly flipped when I found out that Nine Inch Nails were gonna play Orlando, my city.
Horrible timing. I had moved to Alabama for a year, and just couldn't pull off the trip and all that stuff. I had school and no real travel money at the time, so it would have been one hot mess to drive to and back.

I really wanted to see it in a smaller venue :(
O well.
I'm back in Orlando now, but no one comes here anyway.

I would go onto see the Wave Goodbye tour in the pit in Atlanta though. (atlanta is a horrible city, btw)

cansei de ser sexme
12-03-2009, 04:36 PM
I regret walking away from animal collective in coachella 2006, thinking wtf? I got feels the next week and fell in love.

juloxx
12-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Also, I had a chance to see AC/DC in Amsterdam.

http://www.ac-dc.net/pics/4165-ad.jpg

I went on a Euro-trip with my homies over the summer and and our last stop was in Amsterdamage. Didn't know there was a show at there until the morning of. I noticed literally every single person in town had an ac/dc shirt when I woke up, but I was Jet-lag so I woke up at 5pm so the show was sold the fuck out :(

Worst fucking part of it all is one of the people I was traveling with had a connection with the bands manager and could have gotten us in free, but it was too late of notice. My friends a dumbass for not knowing that shit was happening.

bmack86
12-03-2009, 06:15 PM
I don't have many regrets right now in terms of bands that I like that I wish I'd seen that I could have seen. I techincally could have seen Fugazi since they played Victorville when I lived there in 1996, but I was 10 and had no clue who Fugazi were at that point. Outside of that, I regret not having gotten tickets to see Joanna Newsom and Arcade Fire when they each played the Troubadour, but that's about it.

DFrank
12-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Death From Above 1979.

THIS!!! Actually i started getting into them after they broke up which is another regret. Ever chance of reunion?...probably not.

Norwalkguy
12-03-2009, 07:28 PM
When i was 14 i could only choose one show...and It was either Depeche Mode on the Songs of Fait and devotion tour...or Nirvana In Utero...Both @ the Forum..I choose DM..Regret..

Even though they still tour i have never seen REM or U2....

juloxx
12-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Why? Why would you choose Depeche Mode?

Still-ill
12-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Because he didn't know Kurt was going to die I'd imagine. DM had been around a lot longer at that point, he probably figured he would have loads of shots at seeing Nirvana again.

JewFace
12-03-2009, 07:46 PM
I had free tickets to see Bowie on his most recent tour. And I passed on them because I had a cold and wasn't that into his music at the time. I know, I know. Could've been the last chance to see him live and I "wasn't that into him". I fully acknowledge the lameness of that.

Derekx
12-03-2009, 08:00 PM
I got free tickets to Coachella in 2006 while I was at a show in LA, reason why I couldn't go was because I had no ride. I regret not trying hard enough to find a way to get there. :(

I regret not seeing New Order at Coachella.

Radiohead at the Hollywood Bowl.

PJandBompton
12-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Radiohead at any point...
Lights in the Sky Tour
The Police

send me ctrpllrs
12-04-2009, 12:43 AM
Seeing as I've seen them 5 times since, I probably should have watched more than just a few songs from Kraftwerk instead of seeing Animal Collective. They've become my 2nd favorite band since then though, so I don't regret it much. I just hope I get another chance to see Kraftwerk, even if it is just one original member left.

EastLos01
12-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Because he didn't know Kurt was going to die I'd imagine. DM had been around a lot longer at that point, he probably figured he would have loads of shots at seeing Nirvana again.

www.instantrimshot.com

I also regret not having gone to see Prince at Coachella. My girlfriend had won tickets last minute, but I already had a family obligation.
I also regret never having seen The Greatful Dead when I had a chance. I was young but I know I could have made it. When Jerry Garcia died, I headed out with some buddies to griffith park for a lil memorial service that was held there by fans. Thats when I first realized the power of people coming together in a united spirit over music. Opened my eyes to alot of new things.

paulthomasanderson
12-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Kasabian, but someday nevertheless. Speaking of which, they've got some good shit planned perhaps for late 2010:

The follow-up to this years 'West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum', frontman Tom Meighan revealed they've already got a selection of "beautiful" new tracks.

"[Guitarist] Sergio [Pizzorno]'s got a body of work already, its very 'Dark Side Of The Moon', Pink Floyd," Meighan told internet radio station Dabbl.co.uk. "[Its] very essential and very beautiful, piano-based songs that sound beautiful and we're going to really grunge them up a bit." He added.

Although, the Leicester band are busy working on their new album, Meighan admitted that it would be some time before they look at heading into the studio, because of the group's touring commitments.

"We're nearly there," he explained. "But we've just got to go and take 'West Ryder [Pauper Lunatic Asylum]' round the world and show it to people." He added.

Alchemy
12-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Them Crooked Vultures
Battles

Oh, and also Radiohead, at any point in time, as well.

Apathetic00
12-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Actually was one of the lucky ones, saw James Brown @ Stubbs in Austin 6 months before he passed.

But the ones I regret missing are White Stripes at Stubbs during the Elephant tour and not going to Coachella when Daft Punk was their.

rage patton
12-12-2009, 06:38 PM
THIS!!! Actually i started getting into them after they broke up which is another regret. Ever chance of reunion?...probably not.

Highly doubt it. I would kill for it though.

guedita
12-12-2009, 07:06 PM
I don't know why I didn't stay at the Main Stage for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs after PB&J. It's Blitz became one of my favorite albums this year. Stupid decision...

GnarVee
12-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Up In Smoke Tour - San Jose, Ca - 6/19/00

Ice Cube, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Nate Dogg, Kurupt, D12, MC Ren, Westside Connection, Mel-Man, Tha Eastsidaz, Devin The Dude, Warren G, TQ, Truth Hurts and Xzibit

and any bay area JUS†ICE show...

Sexecutioner
12-12-2009, 07:35 PM
nirvana
alice in chains

Egull
12-12-2009, 07:36 PM
I don't know why I didn't stay at the Main Stage for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs after PB&J. It's Blitz became one of my favorite albums this year. Stupid decision...

I'm sure you will get another chance to see them in the not to distant future.

Sexecutioner
12-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Up In Smoke Tour - San Jose, Ca - 6/19/00

Ice Cube, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Nate Dogg, Kurupt, D12, MC Ren, Westside Connection, Mel-Man, Tha Eastsidaz, Devin The Dude, Warren G, TQ, Truth Hurts and Xzibit

i saw this in SD. was pretty awesome, even though we were on the lawn.

HAMMERHEAD
12-12-2009, 08:17 PM
im in the DFA 1979 camp. i know they ended on shit shit terms but i always hold out a little hope for a magical reunion a few years from now.

Pele would've been really good.
At the Drive In
Don Cab (had i been into them at the time)
MJ
I Got Shot in the Face
The Kinison

bmack86
12-12-2009, 08:28 PM

As far as YYYs shows I've seen, that was the worst. My dad agreed with me. You'll be able to find a better set by them some other time.

rage patton
12-12-2009, 08:36 PM
I was just about to say the same thing. YYYs at Coachella this year were really weak.

Egull
12-13-2009, 12:44 AM
Agreed about the YYY's, their shows are usually more energetic, I saw them like a month after at the Independence Jam though and it was a really fun show.
One of my favorites from the night.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jAYZR7wVdTo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jAYZR7wVdTo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>