PDA

View Full Version : It's sorta drizzling self-important, douchey 90's alt-rock stars (sorta)

HandBanana
12-01-2009, 05:30 PM
LIVE has parted ways with frontman über-pantsniff Ed Kowalczyk

Today I can hear the dolphin cry.

http://allthingschadtaylor.blogspot.com/2009/11/not-ending-i-wished-for.html

In tribute, I have handcrafted a piece of Fine Arts....

http://imgur.com/T5dCU.jpg

Shredder
12-01-2009, 05:33 PM
I mean this in the most respectable way:

Who still gives a shit about LIVE?

Shredder
12-01-2009, 05:34 PM
ps, *applause* hand banana, you have not lost your touch

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-01-2009, 05:36 PM
i thought this band broke up 10 years ago

well, this gives me a good excuse to listen to secret samahdi for the first time in that long

TallGuyCM
12-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Secret Samadhi was and still is a phenomenal album...I really liked Live in high school/college. But their decline was sooooo terrible that I haven't listened to the band in years. I mean, Ed was never that that great of a frontman in the first place, but after he had kids the music he made was so fucking weak that it made me cringe. All sensitive and bullshit pussy stuff.

Edit: Ha, that's funny Drinkey. Mentioning the same album.

bmack86
12-01-2009, 06:28 PM
I loved Throwing Copper in 3rd or 4th grade.

suprefan
12-01-2009, 06:29 PM
They played KROQ Inland Invasion in 05, it was bad that I mightve been one of the few people around in the pit who knew the words to almost every song. And yeah Secret Shamadi and Throwing Copper were good.

luckyface
12-01-2009, 06:35 PM
I'd go as far as to say they were good up until The Distance to Here, but holy dear lord, that drop off to V was one of the worst in music history. Easily one of my least favorite albums of the decade. I remember thinking it was fitting that it was released on 9/11/01.

malcolmjamalawesome
12-01-2009, 07:32 PM
I saw these guys 4 years ago for free at the Taste of Saint Louis. Also, The Roots.

roberto73
12-01-2009, 07:42 PM
I saw these guys 4 years ago for free at the Taste of Saint Louis. Also, The Roots.

Seeing The Roots play Christmas carols during the Macy's Thanksgiving parade was unbelievably depressing.

TallGuyCM
12-01-2009, 07:49 PM
I'd go as far as to say they were good up until The Distance to Here, but holy dear lord, that drop off to V was one of the worst in music history. Easily one of my least favorite albums of the decade. I remember thinking it was fitting that it was released on 9/11/01.

V = worse than Riot Act. Agreed Rocke?

Boourns
12-01-2009, 08:24 PM
I loved Throwing Copper and Secret Samadhi in high school. Saw them live in 97. Kind of forgot about them nine years ago.

Boourns
12-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Great photoshop, but it's spelled "NevAr Forget" ;)

Mr. Dylanja
12-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Who still gives a shit about LIVE?

dead people

sacleonard
12-01-2009, 09:47 PM
I liked Live, and I think that "The Distance To Here" is under-appreciated. I agree that the drop-off to "V" was steep. That's simply a horrible album, and they immediately became irrelevant.

Still-ill
12-01-2009, 09:52 PM
dead people

... in HELL!

BlackSwan
12-01-2009, 09:59 PM
I remember people talking about Live when I was in 5th grade, but it was about Throwing Copper. This is the first time I have heard of them since. I'm not sure if I am supposed to feel old, or young.

Boourns
12-01-2009, 10:00 PM
I owned Throwing Copper on cassette and CD...that's how old I am.

luckyface
12-01-2009, 10:14 PM
V = worse than Riot Act. Agreed Rocke?

V makes Riot Act sound like Abbey Road. So yes, I totally agree.

TallGuyCM
12-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Yeah V was pretty much the beginning of the end, but I found Birds of Pray to be at least listenable. Everything after was utter rubbish.

Monklish
12-02-2009, 06:45 AM
Throwing Copper was kinda awesome. What're all you fags bitching about?

hawkingvsreeve
12-02-2009, 08:06 AM
The Distance to Here was as well. All of the other records with the exception of TC weren't very good, although I really like that Lakini's Juice song.

HandBanana
12-02-2009, 10:09 AM
THE CHAIR!

http://imgur.com/bqZfO.png

mountmccabe
12-02-2009, 10:23 AM
I remember people talking about Live when I was in 5th grade, but it was about Throwing Copper. This is the first time I have heard of them since. I'm not sure if I am supposed to feel old, or young.

Yeah, that was high school for me. Except that I was doing the talking and the seeing them in concert and such. What I'm saying is you're making me feel old.

But since I haven't care about them in a good decade it might be time to try again. Did they ever release "Cheetah"/"Cheater"? They were playing it live in 1994 saying it was going to be on their next album. Such disappointment when it was on Secret Samadhi.

It was by far the highlight of their show. It ended with "We're breaking up" screamed over and over.

mountmccabe
12-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Also, damn, folks, Ed ruled. I was such a fan of his voice.

Also Mental Jewelry was their best album.

Shredder
12-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Throwing Copper was kinda awesome.

agreed

luckyface
12-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Also, damn, folks, Ed ruled. I was such a fan of his voice.

If you caught them live in the 2000's, I would think you might disagree with that statement. I remember catching them about 2 months after September 11. The entire show, he was obviously trying to appeal to a new crowd. Gone were his philosophical ramblings, instead replaced by "We shouldn't talk about war, we should just make babies and stuff." (A direct quote) It was like that all night. What turned me off most though was his attempt to crowbar "Overcome" into the national anthem of September 11. He talked the song up so much before he sang that piece of shit that you would think he singlehandedly healed the world with it. Couple that with the fact he had a crew member drape an American flag over him mid song, and that guy earned a spot on my all-time douche list.

TallGuyCM
12-02-2009, 12:34 PM
I saw Live in concert back in '02 at the Wiltern and they put on a great show. They also played at a Weenie Roast I went to as well a bit earlier than that.

The one song I never heard live though:

"The Weeeeeeavers they live down the street from me. The craaaackheads they live down the street from meeeeeeee........." :rolleyes

TallGuyCM
12-02-2009, 12:35 PM
If you caught them live in the 2000's, I would think you might disagree with that statement. I remember catching them about 2 months after September 11. The entire show, he was obviously trying to appeal to a new crowd. Gone were his philosophical ramblings, instead replaced by "We shouldn't talk about war, we should just make babies and stuff." (A direct quote) It was like that all night. What turned me off most though was his attempt to crowbar "Overcome" into the national anthem of September 11. He talked the song up so much before he sang that piece of shit that you would think he singlehandedly healed the world with it. Couple that with the fact he had a crew member drape an American flag over him mid song, and that guy earned a spot on my all-time douche list.

WHOA yeah! We were definitely at the same show. And they didn't play Selling the Drama....how the fuck could you omit that song?!? That was what brought them into the limelight. And yeah, Overcome was lame and I remember feeling jipped when that song was over and the house lights came on.

mountmccabe
12-02-2009, 01:06 PM
If you caught them live in the 2000's, I would think you might disagree with that statement.

Why would I've caught them live in the 00s?

TallGuyCM
12-02-2009, 01:08 PM
And were they really on a 2 year hiatus??? Because when I was looking through the list of shows I could see for $7.11 on 7/11, Live @ the HOB Anaheim was one of them.

???

psycobetabuckdown
12-02-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't understand how this many people have heard anything from Live besides the dolphin song.

TallGuyCM
12-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Selling the Drama, I Alone, and Lightning Crashes were 1000x more popular and ubiquitous than The Dolphin's Cry.

psycobetabuckdown
12-02-2009, 01:21 PM
You're older than me so you probably remember that stuff more. Ubiquituous. nice.

Cdubby
12-02-2009, 01:23 PM
I don't understand how this many people have heard anything from Live besides the dolphin song.

What the fuck is the dolphin song? It was all about Throwing Copper back in the middle school days.

HandBanana
12-02-2009, 01:25 PM
What the fuck is the dolphin song? It was all about Throwing Copper back in the middle school days.

Youre gonna want to put on your protection-from-pretentiousness helmet before clicking this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYC3WBFEPvs

Monklish
12-02-2009, 01:33 PM
The lyrics are terrible but the rest of that song is pretty awesome. Came out during one of the darkest, shittiest periods in all of rock's history from what I remember. The only fucking thing on the radio was like that and Our Lady Peace and nu metal.

luckyface
12-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Youre gonna want to put on your protection-from-pretentiousness helmet before clicking this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYC3WBFEPvs

I always loved it when they got nailed by that wave.

I totally remember that summer/early fall. It literally was Live, OLP, Filter, and then a giant mound of pure shit nu-metal.

luckyface
12-02-2009, 02:06 PM
WHOA yeah! We were definitely at the same show. And they didn't play Selling the Drama....how the fuck could you omit that song?!? That was what brought them into the limelight. And yeah, Overcome was lame and I remember feeling jipped when that song was over and the house lights came on.

We probably didn't go to the exact show (I was stuck in St. Louis at the time), but same tour probably. Me and my friend totally pissed off Ed when we kept holding up a sign for them to play Where Fishes Go. We held them up at the beginning and end of the encores. At first he looked at them and laughed. After the first encore, he looked like he was going to punch us.

TallGuyCM
12-02-2009, 02:10 PM
We probably didn't go to the exact show (I was stuck in St. Louis at the time), but same tour probably. Me and my friend totally pissed off Ed when we kept holding up a sign for them to play Where Fishes Go. We held them up at the beginning and end of the encores. At first he looked at them and laughed. After the first encore, he looked like he was going to punch us.

Where Fishes Go is a great fucking song, I love the chorus.

Oh yeah, you went to Wash U right? I have a friend who went there, you probably don't know him. He graduated in '02. I was actually just there two weekends ago for a few days, went and watched the Rams play. Shitty place overall, but the downtown area is cool.

luckyface
12-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Where Fishes Go is a great fucking song, I love the chorus.

Oh yeah, you went to Wash U right? I have a friend who went there, you probably don't know him. He graduated in '02. I was actually just there two weekends ago for a few days, went and watched the Rams play. Shitty place overall, but the downtown area is cool.

I did, and I actually graduated in 2002. Who was it?

mountmccabe
12-02-2009, 02:17 PM
"Where Fishes Go" is pretty much the only song I really liked on that album. And I liked it A LOT.

TallGuyCM
12-02-2009, 02:26 PM
I did, and I actually graduated in 2002. Who was it?

His name is Brian Shapiro, known him since Kindergarten. He ran cross country and track.

shotglass75
12-02-2009, 02:31 PM
not proud that I always loved this song but what the hell...

KvKUxYYIZlE

HandBanana
12-02-2009, 02:34 PM
I think I figured out why he's a crappy vocalist (from a technical perspective)

He wants to have a powerful guttural growl thing on par with like Vedder or someone.
Problem is he either doesnt have the lungs or he's just too lazy, so he pushes from the sinuses instead of the diaphragm.

Also he is a colossal doucher.

Boourns
12-02-2009, 03:21 PM
I think I figured out why he's a crappy vocalist (from a technical perspective)

He wants to have a powerful guttural growl thing on par with like Vedder or someone.
Problem is he either doesnt have the lungs or he's just too lazy, so he pushes from the sinuses instead of the diaphragm.

Also he is a colossal doucher.

The missing link between Pearl Jam and the Creed generation? Seems so, and now I feel ashamed and partially responsible.

It really hit me while watching that awful Dolphin's Cry video.

TallGuyCM
12-02-2009, 11:17 PM
The missing link between Pearl Jam and the Creed generation? Seems so, and now I feel ashamed and partially responsible.

It really hit me while watching that awful Dolphin's Cry video.

:nono

Boourns
12-02-2009, 11:25 PM
I didn't say it's Pearl Jam's fault that these bands lazily imitate Vedder.

TallGuyCM
12-02-2009, 11:28 PM
I didn't say it's Pearl Jam's fault that these bands lazily imitate Vedder.

True, Kurt Cobain had just as many terrible copycats.

luckyface
12-02-2009, 11:50 PM
His name is Brian Shapiro, known him since Kindergarten. He ran cross country and track.

Yeah, I don't think I knew him. The name sounds familiar, but definitely not someone I hung out with.

I am not sure I would call live PJ copycats. They came up pretty much at the same time (MJ was a 1991 album).

Boourns
12-03-2009, 04:52 AM
Damnit, that stupid dolphin song has been stuck in my head all night after clicking that link :nono

mountmccabe
12-03-2009, 05:34 AM
I am not sure I would call live PJ copycats. They came up pretty much at the same time (MJ was a 1991 album).

Live would be called grunge or post-grunge or PJ knockoffs - rightly or not - based on Throwing Copper and the later albums. I don't think anyone would hear Mental Jewelry and say, whoah, this is like Pearl Jam.

But I agree, I think even on TC and SS they sound quite distinct.

stinkbutt
12-03-2009, 05:57 AM
When Finger Eleven first got popular I thought it was Live just trying to make a comeback under a different name. This band was fucking lame though I would have gladly taken nu metal over this shit any day

TallGuyCM
12-03-2009, 10:17 AM
When Finger Eleven first got popular I thought it was Live just trying to make a comeback under a different name. This band was fucking lame though I would have gladly taken nu metal over this shit any day

Finger Eleven? That shitty vocalist sounds a lot more like the talentless fuck from Three Days Grace than he does like Ed.

And how anyone could compare a song like Pillar of Davidson or I Alone to Pearl Jam is beyond me.