PDA

View Full Version : Trademark Legal Conundrum

Mr.Nipples
11-30-2009, 01:55 AM
I want to start a company called Skunk Works named after Lockheeds Skunkworks research division. it seems they are surprisingly litigious and i don't need to get in no shit with anyone nor do i have the money for it. I wouldnt be able to get away with putting a space in there and break it up into two words right? I know little about trademark law so any knowledge on the subject would be appreciated. I was about to go with the simple solution and just change the spelling but it seems those piece of shit assclowns over at mopar motors already went ahead and did that...

M Sparks
11-30-2009, 04:45 AM
I don't know a whole lot about it, but I think a lot of it depends on what you are doing. Like- it can't be anything similar. I believe Thomas Dolby got in trouble with Dolby Labs when he started writing sound processing software.

gaypalmsprings
11-30-2009, 05:23 AM
Your idea stinks.

TomAz
11-30-2009, 05:28 AM
According to wikipedia Lockheed's division is spelled "Skunk Works" (two words), just the way you want to spell it. I think you're screwed.

Monklish
11-30-2009, 05:30 AM
How 'bout you think of something original, huh Nips? How 'bout that for a change?

TomAz
11-30-2009, 05:50 AM
I wonder if 'Monklish' is trademarked?

Monklish
11-30-2009, 05:53 AM
... ya think if I trademarked it I could force the blog to change its name? That'd be sweet.

gaypalmsprings
11-30-2009, 05:56 AM
Is Mr. Nipples trademarked?

malcolmjamalawesome
11-30-2009, 06:41 AM
I want to start a company called Skunk Works named after Lockheeds Skunkworks research division. it seems they are surprisingly litigious and i don't need to get in no shit with anyone nor do i have the money for it. I wouldnt be able to get away with putting a space in there and break it up into two words right? I know little about trademark law so any knowledge on the subject would be appreciated. I was about to go with the simple solution and just change the spelling but it seems those piece of shit assclowns over at mopar motors already went ahead and did that...

What it breaks down to is whether or not consumers would reasonably confuse the two because of the similarity. i don't think the space is going to save you. If your company isn't doing something drastically different from the existing one, you'd probably be in trouble.

M Sparks
12-01-2009, 08:03 AM
MJA is right. Because he basically said what I did.

Seriously though, if you were opening, say, a RESTAURANT called Skunk Works, it would be, well...questionable from a marketing standpoint, but you'd be safe legally.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-01-2009, 08:37 AM
i wondering why a company liked Lockheed is "surprisingly" litigious. Completely ripping off the name of an historically significant aircraft design branch of a very historically significant aerospace company and expecting to get away with it is almost laughable

bug on your lip
12-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Skunk Workz

/solved

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-01-2009, 11:39 AM
if you google search "skunk workz" quite a few existing companies with that name pop up

bug on your lip
12-01-2009, 11:47 AM
hostile takeovers

Monklish
12-01-2009, 11:52 AM
I think a pedal company named Hostile Takeovers would be a lot more interesting, come to think of it.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-01-2009, 11:58 AM
I think a pedal company named Hostile Takeovers would be a lot more interesting, come to think of it.

we have a winner

bleep
12-01-2009, 12:08 PM
the USPTO's trademark database documents all trademark applications filed w/ the office. searching the database may be of some use to you in narrowing your potential list of choices
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4005:h2jnnd.1.1

bullokz
12-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Is Mr. Nipples trademarked?

This one is the real WINNER

hahahahaha

got any patented bizarre gps funny pic with that?

bleep
12-01-2009, 12:12 PM
the USPTO's trademark database documents all trademark applications filed w/ the office. searching the database may be of some use to you in narrowing your potential list of choices
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4005:h2jnnd.1.1
but remember: "Federal registration is not required to establish rights in a trademark. Common law rights arise from actual use of a mark. Generally, the first to either use a mark in commerce or file an intent to use application with the Patent and Trademark Office has the ultimate right to use and registration."