PDA

View Full Version : Cold Cave

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-27-2009, 12:31 PM
so they have a show next Thursday here in San Francisco. I have that night off. But I still need some convincing, how are they live? Anyone seen them? Who is all going?

Boourns
11-27-2009, 12:33 PM
The album is good so I am curious to hear how they are live.

TallGuyCM
11-27-2009, 12:33 PM
It's cheap. GO.

TallGuyCM
11-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Oh yeah, glad this thread has been created because I didn't know where to post this:

Has anyone seen that Radio Shack ad that's been airing in the past few weeks that features a Cold Cave song???

wmgaretjax
11-27-2009, 12:45 PM
so they have a show next Thursday here in San Francisco. I have that night off. But I still need some convincing, how are they live? Anyone seen them? Who is all going?

My wife and I are going... I think Brad might be going too.

Supporting act is Jamie from Xiu Xiu's new band. Should be a good time.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-27-2009, 12:46 PM
My wife and I are going... I think Brad might be going too.

Supporting act is Jamie from Xiu Xiu's new band. Should be a good time.

I forgot you did tell me you were going. That might be fun then if I got to meet you and your wife.
Isn't there like 2 opening acts?

suprefan
11-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Marco, go to the show.

wmgaretjax
11-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Isn't there like 2 opening acts?

Might be. I only knew about Former Ghosts.

TommyboyUNM
11-27-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm going to be contrary and tell you not to go, Marco. Every video I've seen of their live performance looks awful. Of course, I don't like their music. So that might play a role in view point.

QvisQUyLKEg

wmgaretjax
11-27-2009, 01:23 PM
looks fun to me... i hope Dom is touring with them... maybe they'll have other Hospital shit on sale if that's the case.

TommyboyUNM
11-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Her voice, in that video, makes me cringe. Just dreadful. The music is extremely cheesy for my liking, but is alright if you're into that sorta thing.

Gribbz
11-27-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm with Jared on this one.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Might be. I only knew about Former Ghosts.

found the website. According to the bottom of the hill site Veil Veil Vanish is also an opening act. Are you guys driving down to it?

Sushov23
11-27-2009, 03:00 PM
i'm going to this show in SD. Ale Mania, and Nite Jewel are opening. Cold Cave was good at FYF Fest, it was a short set, but it was good.

wmgaretjax
11-27-2009, 03:03 PM
found the website. According to the bottom of the hill site Veil Veil Vanish is also an opening act. Are you guys driving down to it?

nah. just taking the bart.

seandlr
11-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Oh yeah, glad this thread has been created because I didn't know where to post this:

Has anyone seen that Radio Shack ad that's been airing in the past few weeks that features a Cold Cave song???

Yeah. I saw it one night watching the world series. I posted a video of it in the Cold Cave thread in the Rumors lounge.
To stay on topic, their set at FYF wasn't great but was worth watching. I say go to the show because its cheap.

TommyboyUNM
11-27-2009, 04:49 PM
I say go to the show because its cheap.

A kick to the nuts would be cheaper and more enjoyable, Marco.

Still-ill
11-27-2009, 04:52 PM
A kick to the nuts would be cheaper and more enjoyable, Marco.

http://i34.tinypic.com/w9jvqc.jpg

C DUB YA
11-27-2009, 04:52 PM
The only good song is a complete Joy Division/New Order rip off.

Still-ill
11-27-2009, 04:54 PM

http://i34.tinypic.com/w9jvqc.jpg

rskapcat
11-27-2009, 05:00 PM
I hate Kristen Wiig SO MUCH. Well, probably not as a person, but every SNL character she plays. HAAAAATE.

kitt kat
11-27-2009, 05:51 PM

I was just about to say this. "Love Comes Close" is nearly exactly like New Order's "Your Silent Face" but sung by Ian Curtis. It's too similar for me not to call foul. Seriously, play them back to back. New Order should sue.

Cold Cave is just OK. They have some catchy songs, but a lot of them sound like horrible Euro techno.

kitt kat
11-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Oh, and if you live in LA, say fuck you to Cold Cave at Eagle Rock on Dec. 4th, come to my show instead, and then go see Cold Cave at the Echo two days later.

wmgaretjax
11-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Oh, and if you live in LA, say fuck you to Cold Cave at Eagle Rock on Dec. 4th, come to my show instead, and then go see Cold Cave at the Echo two days later.

should I list the number of artists pocahaunted have ripped off? and older Cold Cave is more interesting (and less derivative)... I enjoy Love Comes Close, but it sure is spastic.

kitt kat
11-28-2009, 01:12 AM
geez, man. don't need to get all offended about it. (i mean, i DID plug people to go seem them in a better venue a few days later...)

PassiveTheory
11-28-2009, 01:14 AM
The record is kinda alright. Nothing to rave about, just a solid record.

C DUB YA
11-28-2009, 10:33 AM
I was just about to say this. "Love Comes Close" is nearly exactly like New Order's "Your Silent Face" but sung by Ian Curtis. It's too similar for me not to call foul. Seriously, play them back to back. New Order should sue.

Yep.

TallGuyCM
11-29-2009, 06:50 PM

Uh, no. Dolores would never forgive me.

wmgaretjax
12-04-2009, 09:21 AM
If you are on the fence about any upcoming shows by these guys, I wholeheartedly recommend going if you dug the stuff off Cremations in particular. Their live set really shows off how spectacular that material is. The SF show was really fucking noisy and loud.

As a bonus, Dom is actually touring with them and does Prurient-esque segues between songs... so you get a full set of Prurient material as an added bonus. This totally made my evening. I was pretty jazzed when I saw him at the merch table before the show.

Also, Former Ghosts was spectacular. While Jamie Stewart contributed to the new album, it's just the main dude. He played on the floor. It was really loud and he had some serious energy.

mountmccabe
12-04-2009, 09:23 AM
really fucking noisy and loud.

This makes me very happy for Saturday.

Thank you for your comments on the show, Jared.

bmack86
12-04-2009, 09:27 AM
I very well may be going to the Echo show after that review. Thanks Jared!

Gribbz
12-04-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm bummed I'm missing them in SD.

Somewhat Damaged
12-04-2009, 09:45 AM
So am I, Matt. We sure could've used your portion of the gas money... :nono (j/k)

redsurf
12-04-2009, 11:07 AM
If you are on the fence about any upcoming shows by these guys, I wholeheartedly recommend going if you dug the stuff off Cremations in particular. Their live set really shows off how spectacular that material is. The SF show was really fucking noisy and loud.

As a bonus, Dom is actually touring with them and does Prurient-esque segues between songs... so you get a full set of Prurient material as an added bonus. This totally made my evening. I was pretty jazzed when I saw him at the merch table before the show.

Also, Former Ghosts was spectacular. While Jamie Stewart contributed to the new album, it's just the main dude. He played on the floor. It was really loud and he had some serious energy.
sweet, i've seen CC without Dom, now im extra psyched.

and ps, Former Ghosts is only supporting CC tonight in Eagle Rock. Nite Jewel is the opener for the Echo.

fatbastard
12-04-2009, 02:11 PM
sweet, i've seen CC without Dom, now im extra psyched.

and ps, Former Ghosts is only supporting CC tonight in Eagle Rock. Nite Jewel is the opener for the Echo.

Anything good to say about Nite Jewel?

redsurf
12-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Anything good to say about Nite Jewel?
haha well..... people either hate her or think she's not that bad. i like her.

wmgaretjax
12-04-2009, 03:29 PM
i enjoy nite jewel... but... former ghosts is the opener to catch if you have the option...

Gribbz
12-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Someone should be the designated fan boy and ask them about Coachella.

wmgaretjax
12-04-2009, 03:32 PM

sorry. i talked to Dom last night and didn't even think to ask... our conversation didn't really drift outside of talking about Hospital Productions stuff.

Gribbz
12-04-2009, 03:34 PM
sorry. i talked to Dom last night and didn't even think to ask... our conversation didn't really drift outside of talking about Hospital Productions stuff.

No worries. Apparently sonofhal asked them but that was a few months ago if I remember correctly. Their response was: "we haven't been asked." Or something to that effect. Things might have changed.

dorkfish
12-04-2009, 03:59 PM
I regret not being able to attend last night, but I probably would have just fawned over Caralee awkwardly. Glad to hear that they were good, though.

TallGuyCM
12-04-2009, 04:48 PM

Sasha will do that on Sunday.

And bmack, you weren't planning on going all along?

sonofhal
12-05-2009, 01:14 AM
No worries. Apparently sonofhal asked them but that was a few months ago if I remember correctly. Their response was: "we haven't been asked." Or something to that effect. Things might have changed.

Yes indeed. It was about 5 weeks ago.

hawkingvsreeve
12-05-2009, 09:45 AM
I'll ask tonight.

bmack86
12-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Sasha will do that on Sunday.

And bmack, you weren't planning on going all along?

Finals right now. Last night was a stretch, I may hit the 3 o'clock Girls show today and I'm going to the UCLA game tomorrow. It's bad timing for all this stuff.

Gribbz
12-05-2009, 09:51 AM
I'll ask tonight.

Good man.

redsurf
12-05-2009, 10:36 AM
it was a fun show last night, people got down.

fatbastard
12-05-2009, 10:46 AM
I can imagine it now.

Hi Dom. No....I'm not looking for lost and found or my son or daughter. I actually came to see you play. That's funny. No, there wasn't a CD being passed around the retirement home. I wanted to ask you if you were going to be playing Coachella next year. Dom, Dom...please stop laughing...I'm serious.

hawkingvsreeve
12-06-2009, 09:20 AM
They still haven't heard anything.

I'd say no.

Fun show, very short. I dont think you should be touring if you cant play longer than 30 minutes.

wmgaretjax
12-06-2009, 09:23 AM

I'd say no.

Fun show, very short. I dont think you should be touring if you cant play longer than 30 minutes.

they played 40 when i saw them... but aside from that, shorter sets are kinda the norm with noise music... these guys are definitely coming from the noise scene, so it's not a surprise in my mind that their sets are moderately short.

it's kind of frustrating i guess. there have been several times i've seen an act that I've been waiting for years to see... only to see them bust out a 20 minute set. it's always unsatisfying. the perfect example was keith fullerton whitman at on land this year... it was amazing... but just a hair longer than 20 minutes.

hawkingvsreeve
12-06-2009, 09:30 AM
It wasnt really noisy, unless I missed something. It was mainly dance oriented with some fuzzed out parts. If they wanted to play a short set like that I would have knocked some money off of the ticket price.

suprefan
12-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Guess Ill be getting $5 worth of a show instead of $11.

wmgaretjax
12-06-2009, 09:33 AM
It was mainly dance oriented with some fuzzed out parts.

Definitely, i'm just referring to the kinds of live environments they are coming from. I agree about the ticket price.

hawkingvsreeve
12-06-2009, 09:35 AM
I mean I enjoyed it and so did everyone else in attendance, I just felt bad for the AZ trio that drove out for the show and got a short set. Oh well.

Opening bands Ale Mania and Nite Jewel were pretty unimpressive.

wmgaretjax
12-06-2009, 09:38 AM
I mean I enjoyed it and so did everyone else in attendance, I just felt bad for the AZ trio that drove out for the show and got a short set. Oh well.

Yeah. I think they'd be much better suited as an opener. Bummer you guys didn't get Former Ghosts.

paulb
12-06-2009, 09:43 AM
I really wanna go to the show tonight....whats the meetup plan? ;)

Gribbz
12-06-2009, 09:46 AM

I'd say no.

That's a bummer. Oh well. Thanks for asking.

Where are they playing in LA?

suprefan
12-06-2009, 09:55 AM

So what did they think.

hawkingvsreeve
12-06-2009, 10:08 AM
They liked it. Jen enjoyed the darker 80s dance sound aspect of it. John and Rick didnt mention specifics, but I am sure they can offer insight once they return home.

paulb
12-06-2009, 10:08 AM
That's a bummer. Oh well. Thanks for asking.

Where are they playing in LA?

the echo

ficklecycle
12-06-2009, 10:11 AM
So the sets are short? I was already getting iffy about not going, now I'm pretty sure I wont.

Gribbz
12-06-2009, 10:14 AM
It's pretty cheap.

PJandBompton
12-06-2009, 12:48 PM

good to see promoters support each other in LA...how about seeing Cold Cave twice instead?

vinylmartyr
12-06-2009, 01:34 PM
This show staring at 10 pm on a Sunday bothers me.

ThomThom
12-06-2009, 02:58 PM
So did anybody go to the show in Eaglerock on Friday night?

TallGuyCM
12-06-2009, 04:31 PM
This show staring at 10 pm on a Sunday bothers me.

Seriously, I'll be happy if I'm home by 1am.

mountmccabe
12-06-2009, 04:51 PM
The show at the Casbah said 8:30 on the tickets. We showed up an hour later. Ale Mania started a little after 10. It started out with one dude on stage, kind of like Stop Making Sense. He was playing a synth making noise. Then slowly other people started up on stage. During that same song, so not like Stop Making Sense anymore. It was rather hilarious because they filtered on one by one until they had six people on stage. Then the first guy started singing. There was some serious Joy Divisioning going on. Though not with the compelling lead singer. Or, well, anything else that exciting. Also there was almost no guitar in the mix. I got sick of it when the third song had a barely disguised JD melody on the Moog throughout the entire song. I felt bad for that guy, playing that one unoriginal figure all song. They played about 35 minutes.

Nite Jewel were next. They had three people up there now. I don't know what this world is coming to. Two synths and a bass guitar. It was, as one other person said, "sleepy." I kinda like it but I also kinda felt sleepy. I seem to remember them being bigger and bolder. They played about 40 minutes? Maybe it was only 35.

I don't know what to say about Cold Cave. They had three people up on stage. Two of them sang and all of them played synths and/or other electronics. The non-singing guy tended to keep the noise going during song breaks. I was surprised when they played "Life Magazine" second. I suppose if you are only going to play six or seven songs that makes sense.

I would say that the "noise" level was high but the dancey beats and occasional bright poppy lines were clear enough. The crowd seemed to love it. There was dancing and happiness. They finished at about 12:45 am.

30 minutes certainly seemed short but I was rather tired so I don't know how much more I would've enjoyed.

The Casbah was not sold out... or if it did it happened late that night.

The shirts were only $10 but they didn't have the good one in a large.

Also it was cool seeing/meeting a bunch of board members there!

captncrzy
12-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I liked it. Not too happy about the 30 minute set, but whatever. I think their album translates well live and the dark synthy stuff is right up my alley. Doesn't sound like they have a Coachella spot, and unless they can get their set up to 40-45 mins, they won't get one. Still nice to see Brandon and Lilia and Jazzz-thanks for the drink. Sorry I didn't say goodbye but you exited another way. Brandon-thanks for the crash pad, the bbq, and the breakfast place recommendation.

hawkingvsreeve
12-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Nite Jewel were next. They had three people up there now. I don't know what this world is coming to. Two synths and a bass guitar. It was, as one other person said, "sleepy."

That may have been me.

And you guys are welcome to come back and stay with me anytime. I had fun.

suprefan
12-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Our turn now, will report back what happend.

Raptor Clinton
12-06-2009, 07:38 PM
I saw Cold Cave w/ Abe Vigoda & Former Ghosts (at the Eagle Rock Center for blah blah blah) and I wasn't too into it. Then again, I'm always the wet blanket who doesn't dance. I had a majorly obstructed view (but could see the cool projections), though. Former Ghosts is amazing and should get a Coachella set, but won't. I could maybe see Abe Vigoda or Cold Cave. I seriously recommend Former Ghosts, both as a live show, and also on their record. Also, Abe Vigoda are really great.

/ rant, from some guy.

Gribbz
12-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Album recommendation for Former Ghosts anyone?

wmgaretjax
12-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Album recommendation for Former Ghosts anyone?

there is only one that I know of. Fleurs on Upset the Rhythm.

if you like it, Ruppert's last project was This Song Is a Mess But So Am I... also, Jamie Stewart of Xiu Xiu and the gal from Zola Jesus are part of the band as well...

Gribbz
12-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks Jared. Downloading now.

Raptor Clinton
12-06-2009, 08:03 PM
I've listened to it a lot. Great stuff.

wmgaretjax
12-06-2009, 08:03 PM
it was pretty fantastic live. reminded me of John Maus a lot in the delivery, and xiu xiu some as well well. basically, he had a laptop set up to play back the majority of the instrumentation and then he would sing and play a fairly simple synth over it. but jesus christ did he go ballistic... i guess he has actually been playing shows with Stewart here and there... but this one was more like his old This Song Is a Mess But So Am I shows.

Raptor Clinton
12-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Were you at his last This Song is a Mess... show? The cancer ward benefit, w/ Babyland, BARR, and Felt Drawings?

wmgaretjax
12-06-2009, 08:09 PM
nah. but i saw him up in seattle at the vera project.

vinylmartyr
12-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Just saw suprefan just get busted for trying to sneak in the front door.

Gribbz
12-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Just saw suprefan just get busted for trying to sneak in the front door.

no way.

EDIT: Why did he do that? Didn't think the show sold out. Suprefail.

paulb
12-07-2009, 02:00 AM
The show tonight was awesome! Great gang of people there! Show was sold out...Thanks to The Scenestar for the hookup! Great set...loved the heavy synth sound...incredibly short though! 30min on the dot.... they started at 12:04am... last song was announced at 12:29am... fun, danceable....but waaaaaaaaay too short. They had 2 cool shirts, wish I could have gone one, but didnt have money for that... Had a blast with ThomThom, Supre, Geoff Vinyl, Tallguy, mikey,oscar, fatbastard....goood times. Cant wait to see another show there. Very good sound, and loved Cold Cave's acid visuals behind them.

suprefan
12-07-2009, 02:06 AM
no way.

EDIT: Why did he do that? Didn't think the show sold out. Suprefail.

It was actually Thomthom who was trying to cut. And the show was def sold out.

mountmccabe
12-07-2009, 04:52 AM
There weren't any visuals for Cold Cave at the Casbah, right? Not sure what it could've been projected on. The sound baffles/couch cushions behind the stage are good for sound but not so good as a movie screen.

hawkingvsreeve
12-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Yeah, no visuals at Casbah.

bmack86
12-07-2009, 10:27 AM
They're on KCRW right now playing live in the studio.

TallGuyCM
12-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Yeah, Cold Cave was solid last night. I'm really really glad that I had heard ahead of time that the set was only gonna be 30 minutes, that way it wasn't a disappointing surprise when it ended up being that short.

Look at This Fucking Hipster would have had a field day with the Echo last night though, a lot of it was tolerable but there were some that made me question the purpose of the human race as a whole.

fatbastard
12-08-2009, 01:13 PM
They just need to extend their set of songs by 18 minutes to make it into the Sahara. Someone please make it happen.

mountmccabe
12-08-2009, 02:01 PM
You mean 10 minutes and you mean the Gobi (maybe the Mojave), right?

kitt kat
12-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Was not impressed at all. Yet another buzz band to fall by the wayside. Love the album, but they just aren't dynamic live.

wmgaretjax
12-08-2009, 03:14 PM
but they just aren't dynamic live.

that... they are not.

kitt kat
12-08-2009, 03:18 PM
I could only watch for 10 minutes before getting bored.

ThomThom
12-08-2009, 03:19 PM
I had a blast at the show. I thought the crowd responded very well to them, you could tell they were a bit pleased by it. I definitely could have used a longer set. Great show either way.

paulb
12-08-2009, 03:38 PM
They did all they needed to do. I couldnt expect much more than what they did.

kitt kat
12-08-2009, 03:55 PM
They really need a LIVE element. I think a guitar player would be smashing. There's only so much "HERE I AM PUSHING BUTTONS" I can take from a non-DJ band. I thought they were more "LIVE" based on the album.

It's really a shame. They have potential to be a lot more...talented?

Gribbz
12-08-2009, 04:02 PM
ko-dvq34g7k

ThomThom
12-08-2009, 04:11 PM
They really need a LIVE element. I think a guitar player would be smashing.

They had one at Fuck Yeah Fest (some gorgeous brunette) and it did in fact sound alot better but of course that set was cut short due to technical difficulties... As if their fucking set wasn't short enough.

ThomThom
12-08-2009, 04:12 PM
ko-dvq34g7k

Ha, I was just to the left of the person filming this video.

wmgaretjax
12-08-2009, 04:22 PM
There's only so much "HERE I AM PUSHING BUTTONS" I can take from a non-DJ band. I thought they were more "LIVE" based on the album.

i think i'll use this text, generated by a computer voice, for my next laptop performance.

TallGuyCM
12-08-2009, 08:36 PM
They had one at Fuck Yeah Fest (some gorgeous brunette) and it did in fact sound alot better but of course that set was cut short due to technical difficulties... As if their fucking set wasn't short enough.

Yeah Sasha, sorry for telling you the gorgeous brunette was there when I peered in. I was obviously incorrect.

suprefan
12-08-2009, 08:38 PM
i think i'll use this text, generated by a computer voice, for my next laptop performance.

Kraftwerk would be proud.

wmgaretjax
12-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Kraftwerk would be proud.

Fuck them. Where are the guitars?

Gribbz
12-08-2009, 08:54 PM

Hahahahaha.

kitt kat
12-08-2009, 10:07 PM

Ha ha ha.

There's a huge canyon between Kraftwerk and Cold Cave. I mean, my boyfriend, the bassist from Nite Jewel and I brought it up that night. Kraftwerk started out playing instruments --- fuck, they INVENTED half of their instruments. Their logical progression was toward automation and 100% tech-driven performance; they can do this because of 1) their stature 2) they have visuals to back it up. Cold Cave has/had neither.

ThomThom
12-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Okay so let me get this straight...

Kraftwerk > Cold Cave?

Got it.

kitt kat
12-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Duh. I was more supporting the case on why Kraftwerk can get away with standing around pushing buttons.

Fuck. This band isn't THAT great guys. Get over it.

Still-ill
12-08-2009, 10:16 PM
It's fun to listen to. Nothing more, nothing less... I don't think they're trying to evoke any sense of innovation.

wmgaretjax
12-08-2009, 10:20 PM
fuck, they INVENTED half of their instruments.

You mean Plank right? And all the IRCAM software they appropriated...

But that's beside the point. I mean, not liking them live is fine. But rationalizing it by saying there should have been a guitar is kind of strange. Treating one set of instruments as more live-worthy is kind of a bizarre notion in my mind...

Then again, I watch people stare at a computer screen at a fair number of shows I go to... That's probably conditioned me not to care so much when acts don't have the dynamic visual component that I think you are referring to.

Don't get me wrong.... If a band is fun to watch live or has a strong visual element, I'm all for it. But I don't think a guitar player will make Cold Cave more exciting live for you.

TommyboyUNM
12-08-2009, 10:21 PM

Finally, someone with a little sense about this. Corny electronic tones mixed with awful singing. Brilliant. Slightly better on record, but still uncomfortably cheesy to me.

Sorry, Jared, I know I shouldn't talk cause I have bad taste. I'll exit the thread.

kitt kat
12-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Don't get me wrong.... If a band is fun to watch live or has a strong visual element, I'm all for it. But I don't think a guitar player will make Cold Cave more exciting live for you.

I didn't mean this would make them exciting live. I mean it would add an interesting textural element to their music outside synths and samplers. So would a live drummer. Then, they'd be a pretty cool band. (And more of a New Order rip-off, but still, New Order was awesome for a reason.)

TallGuyCM
12-08-2009, 10:31 PM
The lead singer's vocals were extra Robert Smith-y at the show the other night.

wmgaretjax
12-08-2009, 10:32 PM
I didn't mean this would make them exciting live. I mean it would add an interesting textural element to their music outside synths and samplers. So would a live drummer. Then, they'd be a pretty cool band. (And more of a New Order rip-off, but still, New Order was awesome for a reason.)

For the record. There was more than samplers and synths... But the electronics Dom (shorter dude) was using is in the same vein to what you are referring to.

I actually agree about needing more texture, but I don't think guitar or drums is the way to go. More analog noise like on their record Cremations would be my idea of a good time. At least, I feel that would be truer to the sound they've sought out on past releases.

ThomThom
12-08-2009, 10:39 PM
It's fun to listen to. Nothing more, nothing less... I don't think they're trying to evoke any sense of innovation.

And there you have it.

Still-ill
12-08-2009, 10:54 PM

There was a guitar when I saw them. Only one song though.

fatbastard
12-09-2009, 05:51 AM
You mean 10 minutes and you mean the Gobi (maybe the Mojave), right?

Right. Yeah, even better, Mohave, Gobi, of whatever tent it was that Junior Boys played in. Nice and intimate.

Viewing posts going back and forth on this band...I enjoyed their performance the other night. My criteria on evaluating performances is based on various factors: venue, vibe/aura, and sound. They were the best they could be at that point in time. I wasn't expecting the second coming for 8.00 bucks on a Sunday night at the Echo. I couldn't imagine them getting worse, only better.

They fit the Coachella vibe. That's all I'll say in any type of defense to their performance.

mountmccabe
12-09-2009, 07:04 AM

This thread is at, what 3 pages? I don't think there's much for anyone to get over.

It's OK for people to listen to music that isn't the greatest ever.

hawkingvsreeve
12-09-2009, 09:39 AM
BUT THERE ARE NO REAL INSTRUMENTS JOHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! BOO HOO HOO HOO HOO.

Seriously Katt. Get over it. Youre railing on these guys and championing the fucking snoozefest that is Nite Jewel?

Wack attack.

ThomThom
12-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Not sure if it was Nite Jewel or not, but Cold Cave's opener at The Echo was awful.

TheCutestBoyAlive
12-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Not sure if it was Nite Jewel or not, but Cold Cave's opener at The Echo was awful.

yeah Nite Jewel sucked. They kept having sound problems and the lead singer was really bitchy about it. Cold Cave was awesome. They would be perfect for Coachella.

DRcube
12-09-2009, 12:36 PM
They really need a LIVE element. I think a guitar player would be smashing. There's only so much "HERE I AM PUSHING BUTTONS" I can take from a non-DJ band. I thought they were more "LIVE" based on the album.

http://youaintnopicasso.com/images/AnimalCollective071902.jpg

seandlr
12-22-2009, 09:47 PM
So there was Cold Cave article in the current Spin magazine, and I learned a few things. I never knew the lead singer Wesley Eisold doesn't have a left hand, which I never noticed. And I guess he also sued Fall Out Boy for plagiarism. And a new album is to be released next summer.

paulb
12-22-2009, 09:49 PM
So there was Cold Cave article in the current Spin magazine, and I learned a few things. I never knew the lead singer Wesley Eisold doesn't have a left hand, which I never noticed. And I guess he also sued Fall Out Boy for plagiarism. And a new album is to be released next summer.

huh? did I miss something?

seandlr
12-22-2009, 09:51 PM
huh?

summerkid
12-22-2009, 10:20 PM
http://youaintnopicasso.com/images/AnimalCollective071902.jpg

hahahaha so good.

TallGuyCM
12-22-2009, 11:00 PM
I never knew the lead singer Wesley Eisold doesn't have a left hand, which I never noticed.

That's now by far the most interesting thing about the band.

TallGuyCM
12-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Just a little R.I.P. (she's not dead, just not in the band any longer) for Sarah Lipstate, I thought she was great in the band:

http://www.hipsterwifehunting.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Lipstate-promo.jpg

wmgaretjax
12-23-2009, 02:22 AM
Hppefully she focuses on the Noveller stuff...

fatbastard
12-23-2009, 05:27 AM
She got major points from me for covering her big forehead with bangs that night.

suprefan
12-23-2009, 06:23 AM
She got major points from me for covering her big forehead with bangs that night.

Wrong girl. The one above played guitar also. :nono

fatbastard
12-23-2009, 07:55 AM
Wrong girl. The one above played guitar also. :nono

Please be sure to include these details in your parchments. :yyablo

suprefan
12-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Hahahaha.

TallGuyCM
12-23-2009, 02:39 PM
She played with them at FYF Fest, but not at the Echo.

fatbastard
12-24-2009, 05:27 AM
She played with them at FYF Fest, but not at the Echo.

Read your signature.

TheCutestBoyAlive
12-28-2009, 02:10 PM
This band is amazing!!! soo good live!