PDA

View Full Version : Making Friends at Coachella

thefriedman94
11-26-2009, 08:35 PM
None of my friends like Coachella type music, and the ones that do can't make it to the festival. Is it easy to make new friends, or at least find groups of people to hang out with at Coachella? Any tips for doing this?

TommyboyUNM
11-26-2009, 08:52 PM
I haven't heard of this happening around here. My best advice would be to take out a Craigslist ad and come back to share the link with us so we can help you search.

Gribbz
11-26-2009, 08:55 PM
I was hoping that it was Tommy who started this thread. :(

PC-2 Violence
11-26-2009, 08:57 PM
None of my friends like Coachella type music...

:dumbo

thefriedman94
11-26-2009, 09:02 PM
I was hoping that it was Tommy who started this thread. :(
Sorry.

thefriedman94
11-26-2009, 09:02 PM
:dumbo
I know. It's mostly because I'm so far from the festival, though.

PC-2 Violence
11-26-2009, 09:20 PM
I know. It's mostly because I'm so far from the festival, though.

What type of friends are you trying to make at Coachella?

thefriedman94
11-26-2009, 09:27 PM
What type of friends are you trying to make at Coachella?
Just people I could hang out with at the shows, mostly. & maybe after shows to recap how amazing things were. It's always better than being alone.

eskamo951
11-26-2009, 10:37 PM
You could always join a camping group.

thefriedman94
11-27-2009, 07:50 AM
You could always join a camping group.
Where can you join them? Sorry, I'm new to both Coachella & the forums.

eskamo951
11-27-2009, 08:21 AM
They are a few in the camping section. They probably aren't accepting anyone until the line-up comes out in January, but you can investigate.

Sleeping Lion
11-28-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm glad I have at least one good friend who shares my passion for a large range of music. I hate talking to people about anything music related and always getting, "Whaa?" back in my face.

I WILL be going to this ( my first ) Coachella with two friends and will whore myself as needed.

Lilac
11-28-2009, 11:00 AM
None of my friends like Coachella type music, and the ones that do can't make it to the festival. Is it easy to make new friends, or at least find groups of people to hang out with at Coachella? Any tips for doing this?

i've been a coachella-goer for the past 6 years, and i've never had a problem meeting people. granted, i've never gone alone, but i don't always stay with my friends the whole time. people are generally very friendly, and it's not weird or rare to strike up a conversation with a neighbor.
hope this helps. :)

menikmati
11-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Word of advice, if a cute girl sits next to you on the bleachers at the Outdoor theatre and offers you to taste a bite of her terriayki chicken bowl, don't say no.

Veloco22
11-28-2009, 12:10 PM

in 08 i found myself in this same situation. after a lot of going back and forth about whether i would go or not i finally said fuck it and went to coachella by myself. i met 5 of the coolest people i've ever met and ended up having the best weekend of my life, hands down. here's a few tips on how it's done:

1. find some cool foreign people!! as long as they speak english you never have to worry about running out of conversation. they have cool accents and you could go on for hours contrasting each others cultures.

2. bring herbs. nothing says hello like, "do you blaze?"

3. offer to help setup campsites. there's never shortage of hapless OC girls with no camping experience. help them pitch their tent and who knows...

4. convince gv to bring back the coachella express. when you're pumped up for the weekend and so is everyone else around you and junkie xl is spinning in the next car over and people are hooking you up with free shit left and right and THEN someone offers you a slab of cool vanilla ice cream sandwiched between two freshly baked tollhouse chocolate chip cookies, everyone suddenly becomes your best friend.

5. get trashed and just pretend like everyone is your best friend. high five, wooooooooo and bro-hug your way to fuzzy memories that will last a lifetime!!!!

hope these help. happy coachella.

Sleeping Lion
11-28-2009, 12:14 PM
in 08 i found myself in this same situation. after a lot of going back and forth about whether i would go or not i finally said fuck it and went to coachella by myself. i met 5 of the coolest people i've ever met and ended up having the best weekend of my life, hands down. here's a few tips on how it's done:

1. find some cool foreign people!! as long as they speak english you never have to worry about running out of conversation. they have cool accents and you could go on for hours contrasting each others cultures.

3. offer to help setup campsites. there's never shortage of hapless OC girls with no camping experience. help them pitch their tent and who knows...

4. convince gv to bring back the coachella express. when you're pumped up for the weekend and so is everyone else around you and junkie xl is spinning in the next car over and people are hooking you up with free shit left and right and THEN someone offers you a slab of cool vanilla ice cream sandwiched between two freshly baked tollhouse chocolate chip cookies, everyone suddenly becomes your best friend.

5. get trashed and just pretend like everyone is your best friend. high five, wooooooooo and bro-hug your way to fuzzy memories that will last a lifetime!!!!

Best advice I've read so far.
Taking in all the past experience info I can.

BROKENDOLL
11-28-2009, 12:52 PM

:thu This, right here is what I believe to be the Coachella Spirit and Vibe that I've felt every year since my first time, and will probably continue to be the reason I return every year after.

And, believe it or not, all the sarcasm and snideness you may see here on occassion seems to disappear that one weekend in April. Coachella is like one big family then. It's only when there hasn't been a Coachella for 6 months that the family seems to become disfunctional and sassy...

ldobbie
11-28-2009, 12:56 PM
yeah idk just don't think about it. i've traveled for festivals alone and there's always gonna be a bunch of people in the crowd that are just as down with the music as you are, so it won't be hard.

and yeah.. weed helps.

unit300021
11-28-2009, 01:07 PM
I went last year for the first time by myself and had no problem at all meting people. Just camp at the camp grounds and your golden. But weed and ciggs do help out but if not like my case still pretty easy. Just be friendly and go up to people and talk to them.

PC-2 Violence
11-28-2009, 02:28 PM
I heard about this group of like 80 kids or so, from the Coachella board, who like to pawty.

They throw their own pawties, and a core group of them travel around meeting up all year long, celebrating life and raving, and going to one of a kind shows. If only we were all that lucky...

Alligator Bogaloo
11-29-2009, 05:29 PM
If I see that creepy guy in the fuzzy animal outfit(?) with his hug sign this year, he's gonna get an aidz needle in the bum.

Shredder
11-29-2009, 05:33 PM
bring weed

gaypalmsprings
11-29-2009, 05:36 PM
You don't make friends, you earn them.

chrisdeeznuts
11-29-2009, 05:58 PM
You don't make friends, you earn them.But, I thought....*lowers head, puts away cans of alcohol*

BROKENDOLL
11-29-2009, 06:58 PM
But, I thought....*lowers head, puts away cans of alcohol*
Cans of alcohol? Whoa.
Tequilla in a can? Who woulda thought?

sleepybrew
11-29-2009, 11:51 PM
my best advice: camp and smile a lot.

walking around with a frown upset about how hot it is will be the quickest way to never meet a soul and have the impossible experience=a bad coachella

camping is great. you meet thousands of people and party all weekend long. bring weed. in the campsite definetely bring alcohol. the more booze you have as each night passes and it becomes scarce, the more friends you will have

frozen pilgrim
11-30-2009, 02:10 AM
camping is critical. 100% critical.
show up early on thursday and help people out. just smile and say hi. I came to coachella the first time just for the music, and came back because of the atmosphere and the people. I promise you that over the course of the weekend, you'll make friends you'll remember forever.

Stickjohn
11-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Sharing a few cool beers when unloading in the camping parking lot could possibly help you make friends. And if you click it's easy to shuffle through security together and end up camping in more or less the same area.

humanoid
11-30-2009, 03:17 PM
You don't make friends, you earn them.

I made all of mine in a laboratory

Coachella Bound
11-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Ill be your friend :)

gaypalmsprings
11-30-2009, 04:46 PM
http://www.motifake.com/demotivational-poster/0805/true-friends-obama-election-08-lib-democrat-demotivational-poster-1210870812.jpg

EastLos01
11-30-2009, 05:42 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rbo4OYSLTdI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rbo4OYSLTdI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

**NaNcY**
11-30-2009, 08:04 PM
OMG i love this message board. the people here are amazing! ive made several great friends here...they are referred to as my "coachella buddies" hehe

Cheddar's Cousin
12-01-2009, 06:11 AM
Nobody likes me
everybody hates me
I'm gonna eat some worms

malcolmjamalawesome
12-01-2009, 08:49 AM
OMG i love this message board. the people here are amazing! ive made several great friends here...they are referred to as my "coachella buddies" hehe

Well, to be fair Nancy, it's easy for you because of your heaving chest.

PC-2 Violence
12-01-2009, 08:56 AM
We should all jump out and yell "SURPRISE!!!".

michaelmontanez
12-01-2009, 09:23 AM

Yeah, helping people around you set up is a great way to meet people, like the two random guys from east LA we met, very awesome, and we ended up blazing in their tent after we helped them set it up, and countless other times during the weekend.

Distorted_Jungle
12-01-2009, 10:37 AM
One good thing about a solo trip to Coachella is not having to worry about what the whole group wants to see at that time. I've always taken it upon myself to just go see whoever i want group of friends with me or not, but i know some people like staying with the group the whole time.

shaftinc
12-04-2009, 04:00 PM
I'll be rolling in from Australia on my own.... I'll bring beer, ciggi's & bud.... So by the sound of things it should be easy to meet some cool people and make friends with these travelling companions....???

gaypalmsprings
12-04-2009, 04:29 PM
http://resources.bplondon.org/images/antiinspiration/no-friends.jpg

thefriedman94
12-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Ill be your friend :)

Aw thank you :) That's very sweet!

lowfront
12-07-2009, 06:36 AM
I have always gone with a friend or 2 but always end up hanging out with a lot of different kids over the 3 days.

Everyone is awesome at coachella

thefriedman94
12-09-2009, 01:24 PM
I have always gone with a friend or 2 but always end up hanging out with a lot of different kids over the 3 days.

Everyone is awesome at coachella
Sweet, do you find that it's easy or hard to stay with your friends during the festival?

dantoro
12-14-2009, 12:27 PM
This year I plan to be more outgoing and friendly.

this board gets snarky but worry not, you'll find friends!!