PDA

View Full Version : Live Nation and iTunes launch live music program

HunterGather
11-24-2009, 08:59 AM
iTunes continues to move toward presenting us with immediate musical experiences, this morning announcing a deal with Live Nation under which live gig recordings from venues across the USA will be offered exclusively for sale through the Apple music service.

Distorted Loop reports the scheme will see Live Nation Studios offering exclusive recorded and filmed concerts from its network of "wired" venues for purchase and download only on iTunes.

Exclusive live recordings from OK Go, Jesse McCartney, Saving Abel, A Fine Frenzy, Duffy, Plain White T's and Ziggy Marley, have been released this week, with many more to follow.

"We are thrilled to offer artists a new high-quality platform to share the magic of their live shows with their fans," said Michael Rapino, President and Chief Executive Officer of Live Nation.

Live Nation, through its Studios division, regularly records concerts in more than 80 of its venues, which have been transformed into next-generation "wired" live recording studios, and will now offer a variety of them for purchase and download exclusively on iTunes.

To coincide with the program's launch, iTunes has added a new area dedicated exclusively to live recordings (http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=N/7ThYeZ*Nc&offerid=146261&type=3&subid=0&tmpid=1826&RD_PARM1=http%253A%252F%252Fitunes.apple.com%252Fu s%252Falbum%252Fintro-live-from-hollywood-palladium%252Fid340360780%253Fi%253D340360818%2526 uo%253D6%2526partnerId%253D30), the report adds.

hawkingvsreeve
11-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Wow. I dont even want studio recordings of any of those artists.

HunterGather
11-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Ya rly. Who knows if the recordings are even good.
In theory, this is cool, but I don't know about Live Nation specifically handling this is good.

AlecEiffel
11-24-2009, 09:06 AM
When OKGO is the most interesting thing on a list you know you're in trouble.

Neutral Milk Hotel
11-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Holy shit, they couldn't have picked worse artists to launch this with. FUCK.

hawkingvsreeve
11-24-2009, 09:10 AM
WE ALL HATE THESE BANDS SO MUCH RIGHT NOW

AlecEiffel
11-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Come on, you know you love Saving Abel.

suprefan
11-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Ya rly. Who knows if the recordings are even good.
In theory, this is cool, but I don't know about Live Nation specifically handling this is good.

I wouldnt worry about the quality, theyll be good.

TheWatcher
11-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Not putting iTunes on any of my systems.

menikmati
11-24-2009, 09:57 AM
*high five* iTunes blows.

uscjeff
11-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Looks like the Mew set when they opened for nin is going to be on there

hawkingvsreeve
11-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Did someone say Mew?

Seeing them next month. Get some.

JorgeC
11-24-2009, 11:54 AM
It's it's a LN partnership with iTunes, then we can expect to see just about anything from the Wiltern, Avalon, Palladium (maybe HOB?) stuff. Gauging from people response to the 2009 Wiltern calendar this year, this could turn out to be really great.

HunterGather
11-24-2009, 04:52 PM

wat?
Lame.

iTunes is the best.
I personally don't buy music on there, but the actual player is the best out there.

Ardentbiscuit
11-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Have you ever looked at the crazy crap Itunes makes you install like Bonjour and other stuff?

HunterGather
11-24-2009, 04:58 PM
wtf is bonjour?
If i have it, it's not in the way of anything..
I have a mac, so...
itunes > other.

moomoo
11-24-2009, 04:59 PM

I'd love to get in on this high five. fucking hate iTunes.

shakermaker113
11-24-2009, 05:00 PM
exclusively on itunes. that means I won't even know it exists. hooray!

CalmerThanYou
11-24-2009, 05:13 PM
i wish someone actually did this with awesome bands. God damn it i wish i had a soundboard copy of every live show i've ever been to.

shakermaker113
11-24-2009, 05:15 PM
I wish someone did this with awesome bands and not through itunes.

Boourns
11-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Soundboard recordings of all the amazing shows at the Wiltern this year, plzkthx

Ardentbiscuit
11-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Itunes automatically installs all of these programs...

Bonjour
Apple Quicktime
Mobileme Support
Itunes Helper

And other programs.

It just doesn't tell you it is doing it or give you an option to opt out.

HunterGather
11-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Well Quicktime is a given for me. Nothing else seems to effect me.

And yes, i'd love soundboard recordings for all the shows I've been to as well.

shakermaker113
11-24-2009, 07:58 PM
I remember for a long time -- maybe this is still the case, I don't know -- if you would try and download quicktime on its own, apple would direct you to the itunes download site instead. it was only if you looked in the small print that you would find a link to a stand-alone quicktime installer. bitches!

oh and whenever they asked for my email before downloading I would always use some variation of steve job's name @apple.com and say "please subscribe me to updates".

/apple rant.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-24-2009, 08:08 PM
It's it's a LN partnership with iTunes, then we can expect to see just about anything from the Wiltern, Avalon, Palladium (maybe HOB?) stuff. Gauging from people response to the 2009 Wiltern calendar this year, this could turn out to be really great.

An article mentions that there are more than 80 venues that are set up for this. It could mean a shitload of great bands

menikmati
11-25-2009, 10:41 AM
wat?
Lame.

iTunes is the best.
I personally don't buy music on there, but the actual player is the best out there.
Any program where you can't even play .Flac files natively, is not "the best out there".

And yes, like others have said...it installs a bunch of other shit on your computer without telling you or giving you the option of "no". Sneaky sneaky Apple...

amyzzz
11-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Speaking of itunes, I need to get an older version of itunes so I can use it with my Palm Pre. :( Our laptop crapped out a month ago and we haven't installed itunes yet since then.

AlecEiffel
11-25-2009, 01:10 PM
i wish someone actually did this with awesome bands. God damn it i wish i had a soundboard copy of every live show i've ever been to.

http://k43.pbase.com/o4/85/684685/1/65221305.QAVbObZ2.lv73.jpg

CalmerThanYou
11-25-2009, 01:36 PM
The falling placentas during their encore really made for an epic evening.

AlecEiffel
11-25-2009, 02:05 PM
the placentas falling out of crying dolphins.

mountmccabe
11-25-2009, 02:21 PM

An article mentions that there are more than 80 venues that are set up for this. It could mean a shitload of great bands

I would hope that the bands that I like that are big enough to play such venues would have the desire and the heft and the integrity to say no thank you.

Monklish
11-25-2009, 02:31 PM
iTunes is seriously one of the most annoying apps to support in the world, especially on the PC side. I think the only reason people actually use it is because of iPods, and the way it interfaces with iPods is among its most irritating characteristics. Pure retardation in the supposed name of seamless integration.

ELECtROjan
11-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Price - $8.00
Tax: $1.50
Service Charge - $3.50
Venue Fee - $7.00
Convenience Fee - $4.25

total: $24.25

FUCK LiveNation

JustSteve
11-25-2009, 11:29 PM

doubt it. bands would have to agree to it and i am guessing many of the larger bands will not be on board.

Monklish
11-25-2009, 11:35 PM
I would hope that the bands that I like that are big enough to play such venues would have the desire and the heft and the integrity to say no thank you.

Wait, why is this an issue of integrity? I don't follow. How is there a lack of integrity in making live recordings of your performances available to fans?

mountmccabe
11-26-2009, 06:24 AM
Wait, why is this an issue of integrity? I don't follow. How is there a lack of integrity in making live recordings of your performances available to fans?

...exclusively through iTunes. With, presumably - admittedly, this would change things somewhat if not true - rights in the hands of the iTunes/Live Nation end of it.

Maybe I am taking it too personal; I cannot imagine the desire to have that many live shows out there. I wouldn't listen to the vast majority of them.

Pearl Jam started releasing every show for a couple tours because bootleggers were charging their fans ridiculous amounts of money. I was younger and knew less music so it was quite compelling to me. I think I only got two or three of the sets, though. Can't say I ever think of putting them on anymore.

mountmccabe
11-26-2009, 06:31 AM
If iTunes offers these at a major discount... that would be much better. If they have a deal where you can enter the code on your ticket and get that show for half off or even free... that might be cool. If they have no issue with bands occasionally saying no or, sorry, not those unreleased songs, or, damn that sound is terrible, please fix that or don't make available... that is to say if they let the bands have good control over the recordings... then that would be nice.

Knowing iTunes and Live Nation, though, I wouldn't expect anything like that.

shakermaker113
11-26-2009, 07:11 AM
I dunno. I would expect live shows available through itunes to be fully censored, edited, abbriviated, and all sorts of other garbage. as you started - those unrelease songs? those songs where the band screwed up? that cover song? that song they use an unauthorized sample in the live show?

if itunes and the record companies had the balls to put up all shows in their entirety we'd be one step closer to documenting every performance ever, as absurd as that seems. but I don't think that's what we're getting.

Monklish
11-26-2009, 12:58 PM
It's still a lot of high quality recording you wouldn't have otherwise. And exclusivity through iTunes doesn't really mean much. The instant it's put up on iTunes for money it'll be up for free on bittorrent. There is no such thing as exclusive anymore.

shakermaker113
11-26-2009, 01:09 PM
both good points. I'll take something over nothing. and being exclusively on itunes means I won't even be tempted to pay for it. haha. that's what you get for making exclusive deals with apple. failing industry fails again.