PDA

View Full Version : ATP New York 2010

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

dorkfish
07-24-2010, 11:32 AM
He and his wife were seeing Miniature Tigers at Hotel Utah last night. I was too, per chance.

pave9000
07-24-2010, 03:37 PM
How about Boris presents the Ocropolis and BXI. That would make for a pleasant Sunday.

Birds vs Worms
07-24-2010, 05:40 PM
fucked up did a 24 hour marathon set in nyc some time ago. i wouldn't mind seeing them doing their own thing all day and bringing in guests to jam with them. jim should also get ghostface and method man to do a set with raekwon

Aurgasm
07-24-2010, 08:16 PM
I would happily fill your transit needs, but we're flying into and out of Newark. It's what we did last year, and we didn't have any issues. AND I discovered this place:

http://countrypancakehouse.net/

...so there's no way we're NOT flying into Jersey. It's like a restaurant designed for me, and it's on the way to Monticello from the airport. YES.

I've been there! Their Oatmeal Flip Jacks, Oreo Pancakes and their cornbread are just out of this world.

wmgaretjax
07-24-2010, 08:37 PM
How about Boris presents the Ocropolis and BXI. That would make for a pleasant Sunday.

better yet... Stephen O'Malley.

bmack86
07-24-2010, 08:40 PM
All star In C.

rage patton
07-24-2010, 08:47 PM
just ran into tom waits. not playing

You ran into Tom Waits at mini-golf? Are you serious? I don't even know what I would do in that situation...

dorkfish
07-24-2010, 09:18 PM
No, I ran into him a small bar/venue in San Francisco, last night. It was incredibly bizarre. Mini Golf would have been a better story, though.

bmack86
07-24-2010, 10:42 PM
You ran into Tom Waits at mini-golf? Are you serious? I don't even know what I would do in that situation...

Hahahahaha, Josh, where'd you get that idea?

rage patton
07-24-2010, 10:45 PM
He and his wife were seeing Miniature Tigers at Hotel Utah last night. I was too, per chance.

I saw "miniature," stopped reading and my mind filled in the rest. I think I was just imagining running into Tom Waits at Mini-golf would be the most surreal thing ever.

Still, running into him at a bar is really cool, and probably still somewhat surreal.

maudio35
07-26-2010, 09:18 AM
is anyone out there really starting to get concerned about the lack of updates? this total silence is getting troubling to say the least. the event is now 6 weeks away. i know people who are desperately trying to sell their tickets because they feel like sunday is going to be a total bust.

i don't personally feel that way. but man - we need some kind of update. soon. the ship is sinking here!

Birds vs Worms
07-26-2010, 09:31 AM
we might get get an update this week but my money is on next monday or tuesday. we'll probably get the rest of sunday's lineup and maybe another act or two on friday. a couple weeks later we'll get comedy and set times and a week before the fest we'll get the criterion lineup up and times.

mountmccabe
07-26-2010, 06:23 PM
I am not concerned. I am not troubled. There are so many great things about the fest that there being no recent updates doesn't bother me.

weeklymix
07-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Bird vs Worms and I are driving together. So if I'm raped or dead around this time, point the authorities to Houston, TX.

MrAmeche
07-26-2010, 08:23 PM
How about The Pop Group does Y for Friday?

09-09 Bologna, Italy - Locomotiv
09-10 Turin, Italy - Spazio
09-11 London, England - The Garage
09-12 London, England - The Garage

Birds vs Worms
07-26-2010, 11:11 PM
Bird vs Worms and I are driving together. So if I'm raped or dead around this time, point the authorities to Houston, TX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTZGyUReYwo

weeklymix
07-27-2010, 12:38 AM
How about The Pop Group does Y for Friday?

09-09 Bologna, Italy - Locomotiv
09-10 Turin, Italy - Spazio
09-11 London, England - The Garage
09-12 London, England - The Garage

You are setting me up just for a lot of pointless depression.

TallGuyCM
07-27-2010, 12:46 AM
I am not concerned. I am not troubled. There are so many great things about the fest that there being no recent updates doesn't bother me.

This. A lack of updates or adds has little bearing on my giddyness of experiencing my first ATP.

dorkfish
07-27-2010, 12:48 AM
-Fennesz, playing NY the Saturday of the fest, Endless Summer would be brilliant addition to Friday's don't look back sets.
-Pissed Jeans, opening for Mudhoney's NY show, ATP friendly
-Dean Wareham playing Galaxie 500
-Lou Barlow in some form, playing NYC that weekend
-Frank Black in some form, playing NYC that Friday, so no look back, but seriously just get the Pixies to play
-Mission of Burma, playing Boston w/ Shellac on the 6th
I hope these work out.

Also, Wye Oak and Mike Watt are opening for Lou Barlow in Boston area on 09/02.

Fu Manchu is playing Boston area on 09/03 and NYC on 09/04.

weeklymix
07-27-2010, 01:01 AM
I would go insane for Mission of Burma.

MrAmeche
07-27-2010, 04:36 PM
You are setting me up just for a lot of pointless depression.
Yeah, probably not happening this year - the band's press release about the reunion ends with this

> if you canít make it to these small shows, never fear. The Pop Group has also gotten a number of invites to headline various music festivals in 2011.

TallGuyCM
07-27-2010, 04:56 PM
The Pop Group? HEADLINING various music festivals? Must be small festivals, no way they could come anywhere near headlining the big US ones.

kitt kat
07-27-2010, 05:30 PM
You guys...Oh, you guys.

Me attending this year is looking very, very grim. I have yet to secure a job and my boyfriend's parents are making him go home that weekend. I have seriously $0.00 to my name and my parents are threatening to move me home if I don't get a job by August 1st.

I want to go so badly, especially because FYF is beyond lame this year and I want to get away from town when that's all going on. Srsly thinking of starting a donation jar and I would pay everyone back. I need to go...I just thought I'd have a job by now.

Thanks, Bush. Thanks, Obama. The unemployed college grads of America LOVE YOU.

dorkfish
07-27-2010, 10:29 PM
http://www.inthehandsofthefans.com/

On Friday September 3rd 2010, Iggy & the Stooges are performing RAW POWER at All Tomorrow's Parties in Monticello, New York.

You - the fans - will be shooting the concert film, coming out soon on DVD, Bluray, and digital stores everywhere.

Here's how it works:
1) shoot a video of yourself asking Iggy & The Stooges a question about RAW POWER
2) Read the submission rules & post it to this website
3) The fans and Iggy & the Stooges select 6 winners to film the Concert!
(Contest Winners must provide their own transportation and lodging to this event.)

TallGuyCM
07-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks, Bush. Thanks, Obama. The unemployed college grads of America LOVE YOU.

It should be noted that Bush Sr. and Clinton are not without fault as well, but that's a different story.

Mr. Fuzz
07-28-2010, 07:49 AM

On Friday September 3rd 2010, Iggy & the Stooges are performing RAW POWER at All Tomorrow's Parties in Monticello, New York.

You - the fans - will be shooting the concert film, coming out soon on DVD, Bluray, and digital stores everywhere.

Here's how it works:
1) shoot a video of yourself asking Iggy & The Stooges a question about RAW POWER
(Contest Winners must provide their own transportation and lodging to this event.)

Whaaaaaaa

Birds vs Worms
07-28-2010, 08:40 AM

Here's how it works:

you left out the part where the video you shoot of yourself has to be in HD. it's a pretty cool contest for sure and i'm excited to be able to rewatch iggy's set in the future. i'm gonna be up front the whole time so i can point myself out of the crowd to jealous friends who didn't go

Courtney
07-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Oh yeah that filming thing keeps on popping up as an advertisement on the side of my Facebook page. It's the first interesting and/or relevant Facebook ad I have probably ever seen.

Icemouse
07-29-2010, 06:50 AM
One of the saddest things about the lack of updates is that ATP likely shot itself in the foot in that it is now getting to be too late for people, especially internationally, to make travel plans as the date draws far too near.

maudio35
07-29-2010, 06:50 AM
lots of info on accommodations. not much on who's playing.

Courtney
07-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Every time I get an e-mail from the ATP folks in my inbox, my heart beats a little faster. And then I click it open and feel a wash of disappointment when there is no NY-specific lineup news.

miscorrections
07-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Jamie hasn't popped back up either, which does not breed hope for an announcement in the near future.

maudio35
07-29-2010, 04:08 PM
yeah, this whole thing is getting pretty disheartening. about one month away and we don't have a final line-up? i'm starting to feel a bit ripped off.

maudio35
07-29-2010, 04:14 PM
to make matters worse, i've convinced several people to go this year, singing the praises of the whole thing. they forked over a good chunk of money and now they are getting mad at me, giving me the "what's up with this thing?" attitude.

i know it will be a great time and i do like the line-up so far, but being about month away without any sign of a final line-up announcement is a bit ridiculous. i'm trying to patient, but losing it a bit.

i feel like atp is really handling this badly down the stretch.

miscorrections
07-29-2010, 04:16 PM
I think most of it likely has to do with Jarmusch and not ATP; I'm sure they are making every effort to work things through.

maudio35
07-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Jarmusch or ATP ... it's kind of beside the point. We just need an announcement for Sunday. Quick!

Birds vs Worms
07-29-2010, 06:07 PM
you guys should chill out. there will be an announcement by tuesday. im sure of it

whiney
07-29-2010, 07:47 PM
they could never have another announcement and i'd be gravy. what are y'all so worried about?

MrAmeche
07-29-2010, 09:34 PM
what are y'all so worried about?
The general consensus (here, at least) seems to be that Sunday is thin. I'd go so far as to wonder if it's the weakest curated day in ATP history as it currently stands. I saw Jarmusch rocking out at last year's fest, and assumed we were in good hands when he was announced as the curator. Now, I have serious doubts. Apparently you like Sunday's lineup, which is cool.

Mr. Fuzz
07-29-2010, 09:44 PM
You should give Hope Sandavol & the Warm Inventions a chance.

ldCtRxALvyY

Birds vs Worms
07-29-2010, 10:29 PM
everyone's head is gonna explode once the set times are announced and you realize how awesome the lineup truly is

Mr. Fuzz
07-29-2010, 10:37 PM
JESUS TAKE ME TO A HIGHER PLACE!!!!!!!!!!

MrAmeche
07-29-2010, 10:52 PM
everyone's head is gonna explode once the set times are announced and you realize how awesome the lineup truly is
I don't get it. How will the set times improve the Sunday lineup? It is what it is, regardless of how the order/stages turn out. I love the Saturday lineup, and Friday is damn solid considering we still only have four acts announced. But come on, can anyone actually say they're excited about Sunday's music as it currently stands?

Here it is, by the way, in all it's 11-act glory. Yep, Hope Sandoval is the sub-headliner at this point. And Girls are listed fourth.

* Sunn 0))) and Boris present Altar
* Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions
* Raekwon
* Girls
* Fucked Up
* Dungen
* Wooden Shjips
* The Black Angels
* The Greenhornes
* Vivian Girls
* White Hills

Birds vs Worms
07-29-2010, 11:33 PM
I don't get it. How will the set times improve the Sunday lineup? It is what it is, regardless of how the order/stages turn out. I love the Saturday lineup, and Friday is damn solid considering we still only have four acts announced. But come on, can anyone actually say they're excited about Sunday's music as it currently stands?

Here it is, by the way, in all it's 11-act glory. Yep, Hope Sandoval is the sub-headliner at this point. And Girls are listed fourth.

* Sunn 0))) and Boris present Altar
* Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions
* Raekwon
* Girls
* Fucked Up
* Dungen
* Wooden Shjips
* The Black Angels
* The Greenhornes
* Vivian Girls
* White Hills

don't really care for hope sandoval, girls, greenhornes, and vivian girls but other than them, all the other bands should be great. sunn and boris is going to be the loudest show any of us will ever get to see. i saw dungen five years ago and they were amazing. i've really enjoyed all their releases since then and am really looking forward to their set. fucked up is always a good time and i'll probably be in the front for that one. wooden shjips were pretty great everytime i've seen them. haven't seen raekwon but built 4 cuban linx pt. 2 has been on rotation in my house since it came out. never seen black angels or white hills but i'll be checking em out for sure. i have faith in jim and atp that this is gonna be a really special weekend.

whiney
07-30-2010, 02:24 AM
Apparently you like Sunday's lineup, which is cool.

hahaha, I do!

I mean Sunn/Boris + Wooden Shjips + Black Angels + White Hills is like a super stoney 4-band psych metal blow out that I wouldn't miss on any stage.

Plus I've been a huge Wu-Tang/Raekwon fan since high school. And Fucked Up always always bring it live.

I mean, it's been said that Sunday is def missing the OMG HUGE FAMOUS CULT BAND vibe of a Boredoms or Panda Bear. And yeah, the whole Girls/Vivian/Dungen thing leaves a vague Pfork aftertaste. But there's no denying that this is a great day of music and can only get better with more additions. There's no reason anyone should feel ripped off

MrAmeche
07-30-2010, 07:16 AM
it's been said that Sunday is def missing the OMG HUGE FAMOUS CULT BAND vibe of a Boredoms or Panda Bear
I'm thinking more of a true headliner like My Bloody Valentine or The Flaming Lips from the past two years. Or a worthy undercard like Dino Jr/Bob Mould/Mogwai/BJM/Spectrum/Yo La Tengo or Boredoms/Boris/No Age with Bob Mould playing Husker Du/Caribou/Deerhoof/Oneida holding down its own room all day. That's what I've come to expect, based on experience, from the non-ATP curated day of this thing, and I don't see anything close to that so far on Sunday. And I'm saying that having seen Raekwon, Girls, Fucked Up, Dungen, Wooden Shjips, Black Angels and Vivian Girls at least once each live. Just my opinion, but others here seem to agree, and you asked why people are concerned.

Icemouse
07-30-2010, 07:33 AM
I think most of it likely has to do with Jarmusch and not ATP; I'm sure they are making every effort to work things through.
There are still Friday announcements we could get to calm us. But they probably know people would be even more confused with a Friday announcement and nothing on sunday

liquidsnake28
07-30-2010, 09:19 AM
I really hope Jim didn't just lose it completely. His last film (The Limits of Control) was easily his worst.

Birds vs Worms
07-30-2010, 09:25 AM
but the soundtrack was so sweet. i hope earth gets added

itsallgonnabreak
07-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Two comments:
1) I know that Jaramusch is the person curating Sunday but one would have thought that ATP would not leave this decision entirely up to him/have a contingency plan. Sure, he would have ideas but is it his responsibility to go through his rolodex to ensure all of the bands could play? I would imagine that before anyone got the curator title, they would have talked through the logistics/ideas. Granted, it's obvious something big fell through but given the fickle nature of this stuff it seems curious that all of the eggs were place in one basket.
2) RE: announcement on Tuesday. Is this pure conjecture or is there fact behind that?

miscorrections
07-30-2010, 09:45 AM
ATP gets some say if the curator picks bands that are too expensive, etc. I think otherwise the curator does get a huge portion of creative control.

Icemouse
07-30-2010, 10:49 AM
After seeing those dates I'd feel ripped off if Fennesz DIDN'T play! That would definitely make my Friday go from great to spectacular

maudio35
07-30-2010, 10:59 AM
i'm listening to the latest white hills album for the first time right now. have to say, it's pretty killer.

man, this atp line-up is going to be dark, dingy and psychedelic.

maudio35
07-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Two comments:
2) RE: announcement on Tuesday. Is this pure conjecture or is there fact behind that?

unless jaime let's us know an announcement is coming, i would say anything else is conjecture at this point ... but that statement was conjecture in itself, so take it with a grain of salt

wmgaretjax
07-30-2010, 11:12 AM
I really hope Jim didn't just lose it completely. His last film (The Limits of Control) was easily his worst.

BAH!

liquidsnake28
07-30-2010, 12:54 PM
What did you think was better? Maybe I was in the wrong mood when I watched it but it really tested my patience, which it was probably supposed to do, but I certainly didn't enjoy it as much as any of his other films. Mystery Train was the same way but I liked that much better.

The music was great and I did like the ending so I'll watch it again sometime.

whiney
07-30-2010, 03:06 PM

i take it you haven't seen Permanent Vacation?

liquidsnake28
07-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Haha, you got me there. I haven't seen that.

wmgaretjax
07-30-2010, 08:53 PM
I loved The Limits of Control... But it is a definitely a film that requires the right mindset. At least my favorite of his since Dead Man. On the right day it would be my favorite film by him.

cs5000
07-31-2010, 05:18 AM
I think everyone was spoiled by how deep the line-up was last year. Iggy Pop is technically the biggest headliner (as in most popular, My Bloody Valentine had the shock of the reunion and the Flaming Lips weren't a very popular choice when they were announced last year).

A better comparison for the day would be Saturday from the first NY year (which also stacked its main draws on two other days):

Shellac, Polvo, Fuck Buttons, The Drones, Edan + guest Dagha, Low, Wooden Shjips, Thee Silver Mount Zion Orchestra, Growing, Harmonia, Om, Apse, Alexander Tucker, Les Savy Fav and Lightning Bolt.

vs.

The Greenhornes, Raekwon, Girls, Vivian Girls, The Black Angels, Wooden Shjips, Fucked Up, Sunn O))) & Boris Present Altar, Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions, White Hills, and Dungen with more to be confirmed.

I'd probably pick Jarmusch's day. On a side note I just convinced a friend to go and he responded with "I want to go to Saturday and Sunday, but Friday is whatever". So clearly everyone will have a different opinion. Just hope Jarmusch can pull something interesting to add but I'm not holding my breath for a Neil Young/Tom Waits/Wu-Tang collaboration.

cs5000
07-31-2010, 05:33 AM
Fill in the question marks with some decent adds and it will be a pretty fun day, especially after running around Friday and Saturday. Some of the comparisons are stretch but whatever.

Shellac + Lightning Bolt / Sunn O))) & Boris
Les Savy Fav / Fucked UP
Silver Mount Zion / ?
Edan / Reakwon
Polvo / Girls
Low / Hope Sandoval
Fuck Buttons / ?
Om / The Black Angels
TheDrones / Dungen
Wooden Shjips / Wooden Shjips
Growing / ?
Harmonia / T Model Ford
Apse / White Hills
Alexander Tucker / Vivian Girls

MrAmeche
07-31-2010, 08:37 AM
Saturday '08 has been my favorite ATP NY day to date, so that's a totally ludicrous comparison in my opinion. Harmonia could only fairly be compared to something like Hallogallo, not a 90-year-old blues musician. And Polvo:Girls, really? Gimme a break. Girls has an album. Polvo has a freaking career. I could go on, but what's the point. Might as well judge Coachella lineups with nonsensical comparisons like Daft Punk:Mutemath and Portishead:We Are Scientists.

mountmccabe
07-31-2010, 08:50 AM
I think Wooden Shijps / Dungen would be a better comparison.

cs5000
07-31-2010, 09:16 AM
My point isn't that the bands are equal or even the same musically, just that the level of popularity are similar, and that the day's line-up isn't without some precedent at the festival. Yeah Sunday doesn't have a big headliner, but the festival usually only has one, and this year that act is playing Friday and not Sunday.

And whether you like Girls or not, last time they played New York they played Webster Hall (capacity 2500), last time Polvo played a paid show in New York they played the Bowery Ballroom (capacity 550). I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that there billing is somewhat similar.

Birds vs Worms
07-31-2010, 09:18 AM
And yeah, the whole Girls/Vivian/Dungen thing leaves a vague Pfork aftertaste.

one of these is not like the other. dungen are awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hey5JOvnEiY

whiney
07-31-2010, 03:24 PM
yeah, we are totally spoiled! I think a lot of people are forgetting THE FUCKING STOOGES are playing! Which is even better than admittedly great bands like My Bloody Valentine and Flaming Lips on the worst day.

dorkfish
08-01-2010, 01:56 AM
no Frank Black, he'll be in NYC all three days

maudio35
08-01-2010, 02:31 PM
anyone think we'll get a announcement this week?

Icemouse
08-01-2010, 05:47 PM
anyone think we'll get a announcement this week?

As unreliable as they've come, I really don't think ATP can go much longer without one, for better or for worse. All I know is that whenever it comes, the drop-outs are going to be regretful!

Birds vs Worms
08-01-2010, 06:40 PM
last year's final announcement came 31 days before the fest. this year's should be the same

MrAmeche
08-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Grinderman: nope

THU 11/11/2010 Toronto, ON Phoenix
FRI 11/12/2010 Montreal, QC Metropolis
SAT 11/13/2010 Boston, MA House of Blues
SUN 11/14/2010 New York, NY Nokia Theatre
TUE 11/16/2010 Washington, DC 9:30 Club
THU 11/18/2010 Atlanta, GA Variety Playhouse
FRI 11/19/2010 Nashville, TN Cannery Ballroom
SAT 11/20/2010 Memphis, TN Minglewood Hall
MON 11/22/2010 Chicago, IL Riviera Theatre
TUE 11/23/2010 Minneapolis, MN First Avenue
FRI 11/26/2010 Vancouver, BC Commodore Ballroom
SAT 11/27/2010 Seattle, WA King Cat Theater
MON 11/29/2010 San Francisco, CA Warfield
TUE 11/30/2010 Los Angeles, CA Music Box
WED 12/1/2010 San Diego, CA House of Blues

maudio35
08-02-2010, 07:22 AM
looks unlikely, but you never know.

i really hope we get some sort of announcement this week. i agree with icemouse's post above - sooner or later they have to announce something. i don't think when they announced anything last year has any baring what so ever to this year... but i would think it should be coming soon. like any day now.

maudio35
08-02-2010, 07:34 AM
32 more days!

Icemouse
08-02-2010, 08:08 AM
I hope the announcement comes tomorrow so I know if I need to buy Grinderman tickets. It'll be difficult to see them if they aren't at ATP. Also given the closeness of Warren and Nick to ATP I would say that those dates don't change the likeliness of it at all, not to say it is a sure thing

maudio35
08-02-2010, 08:17 AM
i'm hoping the announcement comes tomorrow so we everyone (including myself) can stop speculating and start getting excited. the thing is just around the corner!

Birds vs Worms
08-02-2010, 08:31 AM
i'm pumped for the trivia contest. i want free tickets next year

maudio35
08-02-2010, 10:05 AM
well, what i feared just happened. someone who supposed to take a spot in the room i bought just bagged out on ATP. they are selling their ticket to someone else who has a spot in a different room.

this lack of announcement thing is really starting to hurt people. i hate to complain because i'm so happy with all aspects of this show personally, but the lack of announcements (a month before the show) with no sign of when one is coming is just brutal for those of us who are trying to keep people enthusiastic about the whole thing.

i really hope there's a good reason of why we haven't heard a peep from atp since 2 months ago.

bmack86
08-02-2010, 02:16 PM
i'm pumped for the trivia contest. i want free tickets next year

Last year trivia was during Boredoms. Not worth it.

jamie_atp
08-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Hi all

Sorry for the lack of updates. A few things definitely locked in and we're working on more but not sure when the announcement will be. Thanks for your patience!

dorkfish
08-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the update Jamie.

Courtney
08-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Hi Jamie, thanks for the post.

maudio35
08-02-2010, 03:51 PM
thanks, jaime. appreciate the update.

bmack86
08-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Jaime, how do you personally feel about the bands locked in?

dorkfish
08-02-2010, 03:55 PM
also, did Tom Waits lie to me?

whiney
08-02-2010, 04:16 PM
y'all are so rabid that jamie has to step in and give an update on the update, hahaha

Icemouse
08-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Jamie, being so close will this announcement be the final one? Will it include set times and any other info that might be relevant?

miscorrections
08-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Jamie, when this is all over will you read me a bedtime story?

weeklymix
08-02-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm tingly.

Birds vs Worms
08-02-2010, 11:08 PM
so did i call the update on tuesday or what?

TallGuyCM
08-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Not exactly. There's been no update.

jamie_atp
08-03-2010, 12:44 AM
it will probably be the final set of stuff yes. depending on when it is it may include times but no guarantee on those as they're so fluid and harder to lock in. i'm liking the new additions.

TallGuyCM
08-03-2010, 12:55 AM
i'm liking the new additions.

This makes me happy. :)

Birds vs Worms
08-03-2010, 09:09 AM
if you haven't finalized the full lineup yet may i suggest giving these guys a ring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MzvCaXJtbw

The original line up of Spacemen 3 (minus Jason Pierce) + Jason from Spectrum & Kevin Shields.
This was a special one off gig in London as a benefit for the artist & musician & original Spacemen drummer Natty Brooker.

Birds vs Worms
08-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Not exactly. There's been no update.

did jamie not update us on the update? i think so. it seems they wanted to announce everything yesterday but there's a couple things still in the air. i bought my tickets once the friday lineup was announced so everything after that is just icing on the cake. which brings me to another thing, a lot of people on here are saying that friday only looks "ok". all the bands playing on friday are amazing. iggy is a legend and will be awesome. i love sleep and am actually looking forward to their show in austin a week later more so than atp just because i'll be with more friends and the venue is probably more weed friendly than kutsher's. i'm sure the soundsystem at atp will be better but i guess i'll find out in a month. superfuzz bigmuff is an awesome album and mudhoney have so much energy live, it's going to be so good. i had never heard the scientists prior to the announcement but checked out blood red river shortly afterwards. reminds me a lot of the cramps which is a very good thing. hopefully they're not too old to rock out. i guess if iggy can do it you have no excuse

miscorrections
08-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Oh my god the sound in the Starlight Ballroom is so good, Sleep is going to be incredible there. Also, is anyone else giggling at the thought of half of this year's lineup in the midst of all the planets and tinsel?

bmack86
08-03-2010, 10:31 AM
I really can't wait to see Iggy wandering around, and I'm hoping that Sonic Youth spend some time hanging out (I didn't see Thurston anywhere in 2008).

miscorrections
08-03-2010, 10:36 AM
I didn't see him either - maybe he was only there the one night?

andymcdandy
08-03-2010, 03:04 PM
My friend has a four person room at the Raleigh and 4 tickets to the fest for sale. All four people backed out. Original pricing. Message me if you're interested.

miscorrections
08-03-2010, 03:04 PM
That is some shitty shit right there.

andymcdandy
08-03-2010, 03:22 PM
I haven't even gotten to the shitty shit part. My dream has always been to go to an ATP event, but money and time/work restraints have always stopped me from going. This year, my friend bought me a ticket for my birthday and I have been sooooo excited. Fast forward to a week ago, I saw my friend, who told me that he had sold his ticket, his friends ticket and his girlfriends ticket. I was totally bummed until he told me that he had sold my ticket also. I have been devastated, considering I thought I would finally be able to go. Then I was trying to figure out how to still go considering my other friends are going. Now they bailed. Heart crushed into a million pieces. Maybe next year.

Courtney
08-03-2010, 03:22 PM
My friend has a four person room at the Raleigh and 4 tickets to the fest for sale. All four people backed out. Original pricing. Message me if you're interested.

Bad stuff. But have you tried the discussions section on the ATP Facebook page? It seems like people are having success with find hotel space/roommates there.

Courtney
08-03-2010, 03:24 PM
if you haven't finalized the full lineup yet may i suggest giving these guys a ring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MzvCaXJtbw

The original line up of Spacemen 3 (minus Jason Pierce) + Jason from Spectrum & Kevin Shields.
This was a special one off gig in London as a benefit for the artist & musician & original Spacemen drummer Natty Brooker.

Also, YES x100000000

itsallgonnabreak
08-03-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm all for unabashed enthusiasm but how can anyone here be satisfied with the non-announcement of "some bands being confirmed" and "others in the works" to be unveiled sometime in the future. What the hell is anyone waiting for?!

Every week more and more people back out (one in my room), creating an inconvenience and expensive for those who now have to eat the costs/find new people. How can people have the audacity to express gratitude at the prospect of a full announcement 4 weeks before the show to an audience who paid hundreds of dollars for tickets on blind faith? What a courtesy!

wmgaretjax
08-03-2010, 04:11 PM
How can people have the audacity to express gratitude at the prospect of a full announcement 4 weeks before the show to an audience who paid hundreds of dollars for tickets on blind faith? What a courtesy!

It's how it always is dude. Chill. Maybe it's a couple artists more this year... But ATP typically has a final confirmation around a month before the show.

whiney
08-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Every week more and more people back out (one in my room), creating an inconvenience and expensive for those who now have to eat the costs/find new people. How can people have the audacity to express gratitude at the prospect of a full announcement 4 weeks before the show to an audience who paid hundreds of dollars for tickets on blind faith? What a courtesy!

sounds like u need new friends

Icemouse
08-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Yeah I mean in all fairness I'm feeling the sting as far as I can't really ask people if they've made a decision or not fully since nothing has changed in the last month or two but most of the people in my room don't even notice that we're a month away without an announcement. A guy in my room that I haven't talked to all summer just wrote a status that he finally confirmed all of his ATP arrangements. I think being on this board all the time is what gets most of us riled up

Icemouse
08-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Also andymcdandy PM me, I might have an open spot in my room. Last year everyone who filled up our room was a collection of people who didn't know each other at all and it worked out stunningly

Birds vs Worms
08-03-2010, 09:39 PM
This year, my friend bought me a ticket for my birthday and I have been sooooo excited.

I was totally bummed until he told me that he had sold my ticket

he sold your birthday present?!? that's super shitty, sorry to hear that

i hope that everyone who already sold their tickets weeps all labor day weekend because they're stuck doing something lame while we're partying to the max

kitt kat
08-04-2010, 12:44 AM
Cross yr fingers I get a job, everyone. I NEED to go again :(

weeklymix
08-04-2010, 01:00 AM
I hope Kat gets a job so I can get soused and hit on her.

dorkfish
08-04-2010, 01:09 AM
Today is the Day is touring the area around the time of ATP, and I bet nobody other than me cares, but I'm hoping Jarmusch is a fan.

edit: also reunite Chokebore and Bluescore so I can pretend that I'm in high school again.

wmgaretjax
08-04-2010, 01:17 AM
recently picked up a double 7" set with Chokebore and Boredoms. good stuff.

dorkfish
08-04-2010, 01:18 AM
one of those Amphetamine Reptile compilations?

wmgaretjax
08-04-2010, 01:24 AM
you got it.

dorkfish
08-04-2010, 01:31 AM
The Southern Lord blog said that one of their newly signed bands (Nails) is "a cross between all the good AmRep bands and the CroMags playing at breakneck speed". So instead of listening to these Nails kids, I've spent the last week listening to a bunch of the AmRep bands that I used to love.

wmgaretjax
08-04-2010, 01:36 AM
Huh, I'll have to check out Nails.

Icemouse
08-04-2010, 05:13 AM
Fuck Godspeed

Also they now have more bands announced than ATPNY
Actually now that I look at it, they have for a while

LooseAtTheZoo
08-04-2010, 05:33 AM
And ANOTHER ATP email with no mention of ATP NY

maudio35
08-04-2010, 05:35 AM
stings a bit

whiney
08-04-2010, 05:45 AM
That Godspeed ATP has gotten retardedly good.

Really thinkin about making the trip overseas

SoulDischarge
08-04-2010, 06:17 AM
Ha. Probably the only lineup in existence to include both Neurosis and Weird Al.

Icemouse
08-04-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm just waiting for the neurosis/weird al collab in the ocropolis

whiney
08-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Ha. Probably the only lineup in existence to include both Neurosis and Weird Al.

lol @ "probably"

pave9000
08-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Also they now have more bands announced than ATPNY
Actually now that I look at it, they have for a while

It's annoying/depressing to look at the Godspeed ATP, Bowlie 2, and then the in-between days lineups and then look at the ATPNY lineup.

At this point, I could just stick around NYC for that weekend and see most of the bands I want to see at ATP (and more, since ATP is precluding me seeing Oneida at the Monster Island Block Party, Frank Black, etc.)

weeklymix
08-05-2010, 12:59 AM
STILL TINGLY

wmgaretjax
08-05-2010, 01:02 AM
It's annoying/depressing to look at the Godspeed ATP, Bowlie 2, and then the in-between days lineups and then look at the ATPNY lineup.

There is no way in hell I would choose Bowlie 2 over ATP NY.

dorkfish
08-05-2010, 01:06 AM
so I'm guessing that Oneida presents the Ocropolis album is on hiatus.

maudio35
08-05-2010, 05:10 AM
29 more days

Icemouse
08-05-2010, 07:12 AM
"food will be vastly improved this year" lol
Also I thought checkout was 6pm this year. I gues you still need to check out by 2. $200 sounds like a bit of a crazy fine, though.

jamie_atp
08-05-2010, 07:59 AM
check-out is 2 but we'll have the food and bars etc open until 6pm so people don't have to rush off straight away once they check out.

maudio35
08-05-2010, 08:56 AM
ahhh... info. feels like things are getting closer.

maudio35
08-05-2010, 09:12 AM
whoever the hell these guys are, looks like they are playing on sunday ....

http://blogs.myspace.com/dirtbluegene

cs5000
08-05-2010, 09:42 AM
I'm pretty sure Dirt Blue Gene are Hope Sandoval's backing band and not actually playing. Especially considering they also have the Groening ATP on their tour dates.

maudio35
08-05-2010, 10:23 AM
ahhh... i think you're right.

Icemouse
08-05-2010, 10:59 AM
WOW my heart almost stopped when I read Tim & Eric. Why tease me ATP ;(

maudio35
08-05-2010, 11:31 AM
man, a friend of mine just emailed me to let me know 2 people just dropped out of his room. decided not to go because of the $$$ and lack of announcements for sunday.

i know about 12 people who are going to this thing, and everyone can't understand why they just don't announce SOMETHING. even if it's just a partial announcement. what's to gain by waiting so long? other than to alienate people even more. each passing day, this gets worse.

totally appreciate jamie's post the other day, and we know it's not his call as to when announcements happen, but ... come on, atp?! why leave everyone hanging and cause so much anxiety?

we all know t-model ford is playing. just announce it and whatever else you have so far.

Mr. Fuzz
08-05-2010, 11:36 AM
well, since you asked...

LooseAtTheZoo
08-05-2010, 01:45 PM
I'll be seeing Hallogallo tomorrow, don't really know too much from Neu! but have always wanted to hear, will report back.

cs5000
08-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Why does the ATP banner ad on pitchfork say "final tickets released August 6th. New accommodation options available"?

I guess we'll find out soon, not sure how you can release tickets for something that has yet to sell out

weeklymix
08-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Why does the ATP banner ad on pitchfork say "final tickets released August 6th. New accommodation options available"?

I guess we'll find out soon, not sure how you can release tickets for something that has yet to sell out

Maybe the whole banner is referring to accommodation options? Both hotels are technically sold out, right? So maybe new options available for purchase through ATP that only deal with lodging.

Icemouse
08-06-2010, 10:03 AM
I was hoping it meant that they had the lineup finalized so they're now able to release the rooms they were holding for artists which won't be in use. Hopefully that means an announcement early next week? Just getting my hopes up at this point

MrAmeche
08-06-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm starting to have flashbacks to 2003 when ATP LA got postponed and rescheduled for a new date at a different site with different acts.

cs5000
08-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Nevermind

LooseAtTheZoo
08-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Hallogallo were pretty unexciting but the music was entertaining. Very sedate crowd, not loud enough, made me want to listen to more Neu!

mountmccabe
08-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Watching Bradford Cox's interview last year

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3457/3939667387_992ec6cb5a_z.jpg?zz=1

dorkfish
08-07-2010, 12:13 AM

Hannahrain
08-07-2010, 12:35 AM
That photo is going to save me so much time when it comes to trying to look at my two favorite Bradfords at once.

dorkfish
08-07-2010, 01:41 AM
I really thought an inaudible video of Bradford getting interviewed would have been interesting, but it was just shaky and awkward.

dorkfish
08-07-2010, 01:41 AM
http://sanfrancisco.grubstreet.com/2010/08/how_foodie_is_your_music_fest.html

All Tomorrow's Parties, Monticello, NY
When: September 3 - 5
There were a few troubles with the food concession last year, and organizers say they're making a "concerted effort" to improve things. In addition to food offerings at the host venue country club, various street food vendors from NYC will also be making the trip up alongside Sonic Youth, Iggy & the Stooges, and a lineup partially curated by Jim Jarmusch.

The Food: Vendors include the popular Asia Dog, Pizza Moto, and Chonchos Tacos from the Brooklyn Flea.

The Drink: Crop to Cup from the Brooklyn Flea will be on hand serving coffee, and as for booze, the vendors and products haven't yet been ordered.

Grade: B ...but they'd better have decent drink options or that grade could slip.

dorkfish
08-07-2010, 01:50 AM
Also, if it's true that there hasn't been a beer vendor booked, it would be rather neat if ATP contacted the Brooklyn Brewery to see if they wanted to give them a good deal on kegs.

Courtney
08-07-2010, 04:14 AM
I love that photo of Bradley & Bradley. And I would be very much down with Brooklyn Brewery. Crossing my fingers that the drinking ban will be lifted by my doc by then.

Courtney
08-07-2010, 04:15 AM
Guys, I would just like to point out: FUCKING 27 DAYS UNTIL WE SEE RAW POWER PERFORMED BY IGGY FUCKING POP 10 FEET IN FRONT OF US. 27 DAYS. FUCK YEAH.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2615/3920233285_692b5bf422_z.jpg

whiney
08-07-2010, 07:34 AM
three days of Asiadog is A+ in my book

Birds vs Worms
08-07-2010, 02:07 PM
with Tim Biskup and Eric White doing a joint art exhibition at atp, does that mean they're gonna be doing the poster as well?

Icemouse
08-07-2010, 06:29 PM
speaking of food will there be a 10 years celebration cake like they did at 10 years ATP?

send me ctrpllrs
08-07-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm way too picky when it comes to food, so I didn't try most of them, but the Asiadog with the potato chips on it was delicious. Definitely having those again. I hope the food actually is better as they are claiming it will be, cause I didn't like most of the stuff last year.

Anybody out there looking for a room a Kutshers? I've got 1 more space in my room, trying to figure out if I should eat the cost or fill up the room. As of now it is myself, 3 friends of mine and Chris (Tallguy). I'd prefer somebody known on the boards, but it doesn't matter too much. Send me a PM if you may be interested.

rskapcat
08-07-2010, 08:46 PM
The layout of the 6-person room (at least, the one we had last year) is as follows: 2 double beds, a couch, & a creepy rolling cot. We will have a total of 5 in our room because I don't want to stick anyone with the cot. :-/

I was quite fond of the food vendor immediately to the right of Asiadog. They had tasty sesame noodles & amazing oatmeal raisin cookies. And husband loved the chipotle mac & cheese from there, as well.

send me ctrpllrs
08-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Yeah, same as the one I was in. I've thought about that a lot and do like the idea of 5 people. I paid for it so long ago that I just feel like I'm getting extra money for the people that do still need to pay me.

Fuck it. Disregard my last post, our room will have 5 people as well.

Is anybody else taking the bus from Manhattan?

Courtney
08-08-2010, 01:22 PM
there are bands playing moe.down in New York the same weekend as this, I probably wouldn't be too surprised if some of them (namely Built to Spill and maybe The Black Keys) played ATP as well.

Built to Spill seems still a likely add for Sunday to me. Their tour schedule:

Thu, 09/02/2010
Rocks Off Concert Cruise
New York, NY

Fri, 09/03/2010
Toad's Place
New Haven, CT

Sat, 09/04/2010
moe.down
Mohawk, NY

Sat, 09/18/2010
Gothic Theatre
Englewood, CO

Courtney
08-08-2010, 01:25 PM
The layout of the 6-person room (at least, the one we had last year) is as follows: 2 double beds, a couch, & a creepy rolling cot. We will have a total of 5 in our room because I don't want to stick anyone with the cot. :-/

I was quite fond of the food vendor immediately to the right of Asiadog. They had tasty sesame noodles & amazing oatmeal raisin cookies. And husband loved the chipotle mac & cheese from there, as well.

Becca, let me know what extra money I owe you to help cover the empty cot.

And YES, that healthy food-y vegetatian place with the cookies and the rotating hot entree (mac & cheese, enchilada, and something else), and cold sesame noodles was very yum.

rskapcat
08-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Oh, no worries on money. It's all good. :)

stinkbutt
08-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Hey Geek Pie, why don't you go back to writing on brooklyn vegan

Icemouse
08-08-2010, 11:06 PM
i'd rather see kurt vile than vivian girls or girls but imo at this point the best course of action is to just release until there is something official. at this point there is no point to speculate, it'll come when it does.

built to spill i'm 50-50 on. it's hard to complain about seeing them, but it does seem like a cop-out, so i'm hoping not..

Courtney
08-08-2010, 11:57 PM
I would very much enjoy being in the audience of a Kurt Vile performance.

Incidentally, to double check, is it pronounced Vile like "vial"? As opposed to vee-ahl or vee-lay or something unexpected. I have a tendency to mispronounce things when I am talking to myself about music in my head, which turns embarrassing if I actually interact verbally with another living breathing human being who likes said music.

Courtney
08-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Oh, no worries on money. It's all good. :)

Mac and cheese on me.

maudio35
08-09-2010, 06:16 AM
jamie - any chance we might get an announcement this week?

orbit
08-09-2010, 07:25 AM
i bought my flight. arriving to EWR on thursday night, leaving from JFK monday at 8am.

anyone with similar schedules, so we could carpool?

rskapcat
08-09-2010, 07:37 AM
We're flying into EWR on Thursday, but we get in at 2:20 and will be heading to Monticello shortly after. :(

whiney
08-09-2010, 07:38 AM
i think there's still bus seats. I've bussed it two years and it's usually pretty chill

jamie_atp
08-09-2010, 08:29 AM
only a few bus tickets left. announcement coming pretty soon.

Birds vs Worms
08-09-2010, 08:50 AM
this week soon?

wmgaretjax
08-09-2010, 09:11 AM
if anyone wants my ticket + spot in a kutshers room. PM me. I'll do 325 for both (total steal). Over 100 less than I paid for it.

whiney
08-09-2010, 09:11 AM
y'all need to quit breaking jamie's balls, imho

Birds vs Worms
08-09-2010, 09:57 AM
sorry for breaking your balls, jamie. if i spot you walking around, i'll buy you a round. what do you normally drink?

maudio35
08-09-2010, 11:17 AM
how about some more predictions! (it's always fun)

friday

dean wareham plays galaxie 500
swans (not doing a don't look back, but just playing a regular set)

sunday

kurt vile
dinosaur jr.
t-model ford
real estate
mission of burma
harvey milk

pave9000
08-09-2010, 11:43 AM
dean wareham plays galaxie 500

Dean Wareham/Galaxie 500 would be nice as I'm going to miss his Bowery show.

Birds vs Worms
08-09-2010, 11:43 AM
friday

grinderman

sunday

earth
sir richard bishop
ghostface + method man

MrAmeche
08-09-2010, 01:11 PM
How about Frank Black for Sunday?

9/2 Beachcomber, Wellfleet, MA
9/3 Joe's Pub, New York, NY
9/4 Joe's Pub, New York, NY

LooseAtTheZoo
08-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Pixies

jamie_atp
08-09-2010, 02:38 PM
I normally drink anything. Except for gin and tonics. If I do the same as last year i'll be one of the people manning the merch so people can come say hello/complain if they like.

J~$$$$
08-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Pixies
!!!!!!

mondocurry
08-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Finally, permission to post!

First off, to the backing-outers and the same-week-local-show-counters, no amount of day-to-day local venue shows will even come close to touching the mindblowing experience that is taking in all of these bands over the course of three days at Kutshers. Just putting that out there.

Friday: Swans not playing would be a crime. Gira has a house in the Catskill area! Tracks from new album sound great, would be a perfect warmup for their tour starting later in September, would fit perfectly with the rest of Friday's lineup. Grinderman added on top of that would make it a difficult evening to recover from. We can hope!

I love the comedy stage, but I almost hope there is not a great curator because I love this year's Friday lineup of bands so much. I can see twice-picked-by-other-curators Eugene Mirman getting a deserved shot as curator. Or Todd Barry, his interaction with the audience would be hillarious.

Sunday: Someone pointed out that Mulatu Astatke would make a lot of sense. I agree and hope that Dengue Fever, who also had a track used in Broken Flowers, will get added. I guess Dengue Fever's track was a Mulatu Astatke song, though.

Unlikely, but I'm throwing the name Deerhunter out there. yeah yeah I know, they played last year. I'd still gladly take 'em. Schedule looks open, Jarmusch palled around with Bradford last year. At the least, i think Criterion ought to show their live doc which is coming out some time. I would sit down and watch that over a set by Vivian Girls.

Also unlikely, Clinic. I don't know who cares about these guys anymore, i love them. I think Jarmusch could be a fan? I can see them going down perfectly somewhere in between a set by Wooden Shjips and a set by Hope Sandoval.

I don't quite picture Jarmusch picking Built to Spill.

Some smaller names that I think would fit Sunday's vibe nicely: Kurt Vile, Disappears.

next update is going to be so damn soon!!

dorkfish
08-09-2010, 05:37 PM
How about Frank Black for Sunday?

9/2 Beachcomber, Wellfleet, MA
9/3 Joe's Pub, New York, NY
9/4 Joe's Pub, New York, NY
Nah, he's playing a show on 9/5, already, so he and Pixies are probably both out of the picture.

MrAmeche
08-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Nah, he's playing a show on 9/5, already
Hmm, looks like 9/5 and 9/6 are open dates according to his official site http://www.frankblack.net/news/

Ah, nevermind, trumped by an actual official site.

Courtney
08-09-2010, 05:50 PM
But not according to http://frankblack.com/, which I think is the official site.

http://i33.tinypic.com/30k3m95.jpg

cs5000
08-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Yeah joe's pub listings also has Frank Black playing an evening show on the 5th, so the pixies are unfortunately a no go.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it but Kurt Vile has ATP on his myspace tourdates, so most likely a guaranteed add.

Birds vs Worms
08-09-2010, 06:46 PM
I normally drink anything. Except for gin and tonics. If I do the same as last year i'll be one of the people manning the merch so people can come say hello/complain if they like.

so no gin and tonics, got it. how do you feel about drinks with words like "slut", "bomb", or "sex" in the name?

MrAmeche
08-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Disappears
yes, this please

Courtney
08-09-2010, 07:21 PM
I'll do the horrible, horrible job of consuming any gin and tonics that come Jamie's way, if it's required.

mondocurry, is your location Kailua, on Oahu? Because if so, we're neighbors which is entirely weird and unexpected. But awesome.

Birds vs Worms
08-09-2010, 07:24 PM
only gin & tonic i ever touch nowadays is hendricks with a cucumber slice.

dorkfish
08-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Kurt Vile added to Sunday: http://www.groundcontroltouring.com/artists/kurtvile/

Upcoming Shows
08.10.10 Jefferson Theatre, Charlottesville, VA
08.13.10 Royale Nightclub, Boston, MA
08.14.10 Pearl Street, Northampton, MA
09.05.10 All Tomorrow's Parties, Monticello, NY
09.17.10 Mann Center for Performing Arts, Philadelphia, PA
10.01.10 Matador at 21, Las Vegas, NV

wmgaretjax
08-09-2010, 09:13 PM
That's awesome. Because Kurt Vile is the shit and rules live.

bmack86
08-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Awesome. I've wanted to see him for awhile.

maudio35
08-09-2010, 09:57 PM
kurt vile -- now that is a great addition!

send me ctrpllrs
08-09-2010, 10:06 PM
That's great news. I enjoyed him at Pitchfork despite not having heard much of him, but today I happened to pick up a record of his. Will have to check out more Kurt Vile before ATP.

miscorrections
08-09-2010, 11:34 PM
I've very much wanted to see him for at least a year but shit doesn't work out. That's good news.

mondocurry
08-10-2010, 01:07 AM
yay, Kurt Vile! that's at least one pick coming through. not that i've checked on this anywhere else, but i trust you guys. and i mean, the man's got a song dedicated to Jarmusch on his last album. Do check that one out, The Square Shells EP, very good stuff!

maudio35
08-10-2010, 05:11 AM
so we know kurt vile and t-model ford for sunday. both cool adds, as far as i'm concerned. can't wait to find out what else is in store...

LooseAtTheZoo
08-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Adds!

GZA
T-Model Ford
Kurt Vile
DJ Kool Herc
Ricky Powell Slideshow

Comedy curated by the guy from Les Savy Fav: Hannibal Burress, Heather Lawless

Gribbz
08-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Adds!

GZA
T-Model Ford
Kurt Vile
DJ Kool Herc
Ricky Powell Slideshow

Incredible.

LooseAtTheZoo
08-10-2010, 01:39 PM
How much money is ATP making this year with a lineup like this? It seems like these are the last adds...

wmgaretjax
08-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Adds!

GZA
T-Model Ford
Kurt Vile
DJ Kool Herc
Ricky Powell Slideshow

Comedy curated by the guy from Les Savy Fav: Hannibal Burress, Heather Lawless

Holy fuck.

Heather Lawless is awesome too.

Gribbz
08-10-2010, 01:42 PM
I had no idea Kool Herc still did shows. I'm jealous.

artex
08-10-2010, 01:47 PM
any confirmation from atp on these, or is it just a semi-informative pfork post missing a bunch of details? feels a bit incomplete, no?

MrAmeche
08-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Sunday still feels pretty thin to me, but GZA is always solid.

wmgaretjax
08-10-2010, 02:16 PM
ATP email says that's the final lineup barring comedy.

remember, if anyone is looking for a ticket and/or spot at kutshers contact me. looking for 300 or so for both right now... but i'm fairly flexible.

rskapcat
08-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Wonder why I only sporadically receive the ATP emails? I got the one with all the forms to fill out and whatnot, but not any of the others in the past few months. Hmm.

rskapcat
08-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Jared, do you want me to put the feelers out on FB to my local friends to see if anyone is interested?

wmgaretjax
08-10-2010, 02:25 PM
sping.

maudio35
08-10-2010, 02:29 PM
well there you have it. i for one, am completely happy with this line-up. sunday included. GZA! that is going to kill. kurt vile is great. t-model ford will be interesting. kool herc and ricky powell slideshow ... i'm a huge fan of hip hop history, so this is a particular treat for me.

ATP - to me - is about bringing a unique experience to the attendee. this, again to me, is unique. yeah, there are not a ton of bigger names on sunday, but i'm okay with that. i want to see something that i would never see anywhere else.

this delivers ... at least in my opinion

mondocurry
08-10-2010, 02:35 PM
I think the site always gets updated a bit before the emails go out.

Looks like i''ll be sticking to the music on Friday, which is not at all a bad thing. was expecting at least one more band to be added to friday's lineup, though.

btw, has anyone arrived at Kutshers on the early side of Friday in 08 or 09? this is the first year i will not have to head there directly after work, flooring the gas all the way. very psyched about that!

MrAmeche
08-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Yep, the official site says "final additions," comedy aside. I love Saturday and the four Friday acts we've known about since day one, and I'm psyched to see Altar. But now that we have pretty much all the details, I'll come right out and say Jarmusch looks like the weakest curator ATP has ever had. Obviously, just my opinion.

whiney
08-10-2010, 02:57 PM
I came in here to freak out about Kool Herc, but I guess you guys beat me to it!

pave9000
08-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Wait, but since November 2009, it's said "Friday 3rd September - Don't Look Back - Line-up so far with more TBC"

That's it, no more bands on Friday? Wow. You know, when they sell you a ticket and a room 10 months in advance, telling you more acts are to be confirmed, you kind of take a leap of faith and base your decision on past years and on the UK ATPs. But just those 4 bands on Friday night? There were 7 bands Friday night in 2009.

So if you bought just a Friday ticket, it's $110 to see 4 bands. $27.50 per. Nice.

Icemouse
08-10-2010, 03:33 PM
That was the final announcement? 5 new acts? Wow

jamie_atp
08-10-2010, 03:47 PM
First year on the friday we had 5, last year it was meant to be 6 but panda bear had to reschedule so yes it ended up a 7. But as i understand it Iggy & The Stooges are a big part of the budget so there's a little less on Friday this time.

Icemouse
I'll repeat my thoughts: No new adds for Friday is the worst part of this for me. I could deal with an odd Sunday... Kool Herc and T Model at least seem like they'll be interesting and GZA and Kurt Vile will both be good... But only 4 albums played on Friday? A grand total of 3 hours of music? I've seen sets last longer than 3 hours. Also is the Ricky Powell thing supposed to take the spot of an act? It just seems like there was so much more that ATP could have [very reasonably] done with this years lineup. It's not even worth restating it all at this point, just a shame that many of us checked daily for months now for what amounted to 4 acts. And quite frankly I can't imagine that any of these were so in demand that it was really THAT difficult to get them solidified

maudio35
AND .... let the hating begin. you could pretty much see this coming even before an announcement. this forum is starting to get depressing. i have a feeling no matter what ATP did, people would be down on it.

i think it's a great line-up and going to be a great weekend. this place is just bringing me down lately.

whiney
08-10-2010, 03:51 PM
i think it's a great line-up and going to be a great weekend. this place is just bringing me down lately.

holla

Courtney
08-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Any time I feel down, I just pop on Raw Power, and then I'm back to FUCK YEAHHHHHHH.

maudio35
08-10-2010, 04:01 PM
i mean, come on...

sonic youth, the breeders, tortoise, the fuck buttons, the books, hallogallo, the freaking STOOGES, sleep, sunn o))) + boris, fucked up, shellac, girls, black angels, explosions in the sky, raekwon, GZA ... !!!! no need to keep going. i'm sorry, but this is a great, eclectic line-up. not to mention a living legend like kool herc (and t-model ford is a nice touch).

man, i don't know what people want. combine this with just the all out, totally chill vibe that ATP brings, with no sponsors, no advertisements in your face, criterion cinema...

i just don't get all the bad vibes.

jamie_atp
08-10-2010, 04:07 PM
on the friday the stooges and sleep should both be playing an hour and 30 minutes each. it'll be the albums named plus a lot of extra material from both. seriously you will not feel short changed either by the amount of time or the bands.

jamie_atp
08-10-2010, 04:07 PM
also the ricky powell slideshow is fantastic and shouldn't be sniffed at.

whiney
08-10-2010, 04:13 PM
lotta sniffin going on in this thread

MrAmeche
08-10-2010, 04:16 PM
on the friday the stooges and sleep should both be playing an hour and 30 minutes each. it'll be the albums named plus a lot of extra material from both.
This excites me greatly.

wmgaretjax
08-10-2010, 04:16 PM
sonic youth, the breeders, tortoise, the fuck buttons, the books, hallogallo, the freaking STOOGES, sleep, sunn o))) + boris, fucked up, shellac, girls, black angels, explosions in the sky, raekwon, GZA ... !!!! no need to keep going. i'm sorry, but this is a great, eclectic line-up. not to mention a living legend like kool herc (and t-model ford is a nice touch).

Man. Hearing it all lined up sounds so fuckin good. The other day I was looking at plane tickets to see if maybe I could swing it... But no way. Especially since I'm supposed to be doing some interviews in the bay that thursday and friday.

jamie_atp
08-10-2010, 04:21 PM
here's the setlist from when we did stooges play raw power in london: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/iggy-and-the-stooges/2010/hammersmith-apollo-london-england-23d4e493.html

obviously can't guarantee the list will be the same or as long, but the three times they did raw power shows for us back in may it was about the same

dorkfish
08-10-2010, 04:22 PM
cheapest plane ticket that I can find is ~$330 with taxes. you have to fly into a weird part of New York, though.

Icemouse
08-10-2010, 04:24 PM
I think you'll be hard-pressed to find many people who would disagree that ATP will still be a great time. The lineup for me, and others it seems, is just lacking a lot of the exhilaration of year's past. Everything will be good, I have no doubt.. And I figured that Stooges and Sleep would play for a little more time which really makes Friday seem a lot better. I'm still excited, and I'll still be buying my 2011 ticket on the day it's announced with full faith in ATP. The hardest part of this all for me was probably just the wait for this announcement, and reading all of the suggestions and speculation that didn't come to fruition in the meantime.

rage patton
08-10-2010, 04:25 PM
DJ Kool Herc? Holy shit that is awesome.

whiney
08-10-2010, 04:28 PM
The hardest part of this all for me was probably just the wait for this announcement, and reading all of the suggestions and speculation that didn't come to fruition in the meantime.

Dude, everyone was getting hella crazypants about inviting the Pixies and Built To Spill and Guns N Roses, of course it's not gonna live up to message board speculation

dorkfish
08-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Ricky Powell Slideshow looks awesome based on the YouTube videos.

Icemouse
08-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Dude, everyone was getting hella crazypants about inviting the Pixies and Built To Spill and Guns N Roses, of course it's not gonna live up to message board speculation
No, but I feel that there were a lot of reasonable choices, ones in the recent past including Grinderman, Fennesz, Earth, Dean Wareheim, and Mission of Burma. I really don't think any of those were totally out of the realm of possibility and I feel that any single one of those along with this announcement would have given people a lot less to complain about. Oh well, no matter what you can't beat the experience of ATP. I remember missing a lot of acts I really wanted to see last year just because it was so fun outside of the music, I know I'm going to have a blast checking out some of this and stage hopping and whatnot. It would have been nice to have a oneida-esque experience again, some sort of all day thing that if nothing else that interests you is happening you can check out.

Also, in my opinion, a great eclectic lineup is currently happening for Godspeed.. Really wish I could get to that one too!

wmgaretjax
08-10-2010, 05:11 PM
The Godspeed lineup is beyond great. Fucking flawless.

Birds vs Worms
08-10-2010, 09:18 PM
the godspeed one is indeed amazing. really looking forward to this festival. not so much all the driving we'll be doing to get there. but once all the set times are revealed, we should all meet up for drinks or something. everyone should wear their avatar on some sort of button or shirt.

whiney
08-10-2010, 09:34 PM
i will be carrying a real pug

miscorrections
08-10-2010, 09:47 PM
I'll be the fat drunk girl stalking the artists.

maudio35
08-11-2010, 06:49 AM
23 more days!

Birds vs Worms
08-11-2010, 10:03 AM
three weeks till weeklymix and i are on the road. we should check if there's gonna be any good shows on the way up or down from atp

bmack86
08-11-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm not very happy with the additions. I was mostly happy with the line up beforehand, but these do absolutely nothing for me (except for Kurt Vile and T Model, both of whom we already knew about).

Jim Jarmusch was a bad choice for my taste.

liquidsnake28
08-11-2010, 10:52 AM
I've always thought this lineup was good so I'm not complaining but didn't Jamie say some big stuff was in store for Sunday? Whatever happened to that?

To look on the bright side, the lack of a big name like Jack White ensures that there won't be hoards of douchebags there just to see him. All respectful music geeks in the crowd = awesome festival. I'm really looking forward to my first ATP.

weeklymix
08-11-2010, 11:00 AM
I've always thought this lineup was good so I'm not complaining but didn't Jamie say some big stuff was in store for Sunday? Whatever happened to that?

To look on the bright side, the lack of a big name like Jack White ensures that there won't be hoards of douchebags there just to see him. All respectful music geeks in the crowd = awesome festival. I'm really looking forward to my first ATP.

DJ Kool Herc and GZA were added to Sunday.

How the shit is that not big enough?

maudio35
08-11-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm really looking forward to my first ATP.

don't listen to all the haters. people just love to complain. the line-up is great and you're going to have a fantastic time. guaranteed. ATP does an amazing job and you'll see some amazing performances. jim jarmusch did a good job of putting together a really interesting and eclectic day (and that is what this festival is all about -- if you don't want that, then this isn't the festival for you. go to pitchfork and see lady gaga), and saturday is just amazing.

maudio35
08-11-2010, 11:02 AM

yeah! well said!

MrAmeche
08-11-2010, 11:20 AM
if you don't want that, then this isn't the festival for you. go to pitchfork and see lady gaga)
Right, because clearly there's nothing between T Model Ford and Lady Gaga.

Glad to hear you love absolutely everything about the lineup. I personally am excited about almost nothing on Sunday. Doesn't make me a hater. I've loved both ATP NYs and I'm sure I'll have a blast again this year. But in terms of how the lineup evolved over the past few months, yeah, I'm pretty disappointed. If Jarmusch curated another ATP, I'd pass.

Icemouse
08-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Gaga played lollapalooza, not pitchfork

maudio35
08-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Right, because clearly there's nothing between T Model Ford and Lady Gaga.

ha ha... okay, good point. sorry, i wrote that a bit out of frustration. just seems like everyone is so negative on this festival. just getting to me.

and i don't love EVERYTHING about the weekend. i really don't like bardo pond, the vivian girls don't do much for me, i think explosions in the sky are a bit melodramatic, etc. etc. but i do realize that what bands people like or don't like is a SUBJECTIVE thing. there are a lot of people on here who are just like "the line-up stinks." well says who? ... you? that's one individual's opinion. no festival line-up is going to be perfect to any one person.

liquidsnake28
08-11-2010, 11:31 AM

Kool Herc is nice but GZA (one of the best wu members who I have much respect for) always seems to be everywhere. If you've wanted to see him, you've probably had at least five chances already.

MrAmeche
08-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Also, while there's some interesting novelty value in seeing living "legends" like Kool Herc and T Model Ford, I can't see how that can compare musically to Boadrum 9 or Oneida holding down a room all day with rotating guests or MBV physically destroying a room full of people. That's the bar ATP NY has set for its Sundays, and I'm just not seeing that this year.

Then again, I had pretty low expectations for Saturday '08, and that turned out to be my favorite ATP NY day thus far, so I hope to be pleasantly surprised again, by Sunday '10.

mountmccabe
08-11-2010, 12:07 PM
If Jarmusch curated another ATP, I'd pass.

Yeah. Oh well. And even though i'd say what he came up with was unispired there's still a lot that I will enjoy.