PDA

View Full Version : Listen to the new Rags To Radio EP

rage patton
11-17-2009, 06:45 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/LivingRoomFront.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/?mxynzyg3ntn)

NOTE: If the download doesn't work or if a certain song doesn't work... let me know.

As some of you may know, I am in a band. We are called Rags To Radio. This is our first first EP, Living Room. To make a long story short, one of my really good high school friends recorded an album on his own when he was bored in 2007 and he got some show offers because of this. So he grabbed myself and another friend and we became a band. After about 6-7 months of playing shows, we became an entirely different band and we added another member. In September of 2008 we officially changed our name to Rags To Radio. We have been planning on recording this EP since December 08, but due to a number of setback, including a small hiatus this year and getting a new drummer... we finally have an EP. You can download it by clicking on the front cover of the album pictured above.

So, friends of Coachella, this is where you come in. I want you guys to listen to it. It wont take long, as it is only 4 songs and just over 15 minutes. I think a good number of you here will enjoy it. Either way, whether you think you will love it or hate it, give it a shot. Tell me if you like it, love it, hate it, think it is OK or if you are totally indifferent to it. Tell me parts you really liked. Tell me parts you didn't like. What worked really well? What didn't work at all? Critique it. Praise it. Shit on it. Love it. Just tell me what you think. I would also love to hear some constructive criticism from you guys. Stuff that well help us get better in the future.

Anyways, you guys are going to be the first to hear this. We just got the CDs burnt yesterday (and still working on them), as well as just finishing the sleeves. We have our EP release party this Thursday and we are pretty excited for it. We also have another show this Saturday, so it is a busy time for the band. Busy and exciting. It feels so rewarding to finally have this EP out and the ability to spread our music around. So do so. Give this to your friends, coworkers, family, etc. You don't have to tell them its your friends band or anything like that. Just tell them "I just heard this new EP from this Vancouver band called Rags To Radio..." Can't wait to hear the feedback from you guys.

Without further ado... Rags To Radio are:
Layton Keely: Guitar and vocals
Josh Erickson: Bass
Troy Grenier: Drums
Zach Keely: Organ, keys, trombone and back-up Vocals

Rags To Radio - Living Room EP

1. Gypsy By Blood
2. Fairwell Fairweather
3. Out of House and Home
4. Roll The Bones

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/LivingRoomBack.jpg

Enjoy.

rage patton
11-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Oh, also... we have T-shirts. I think they are pretty awesome.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/CatTshirt1.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/CatTshirt2.jpg

If you want one, contact me. Same with if you want a hard copy of the EP.

ficklecycle
11-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Downloading the EP. Can't wait to hear it!

bleep
11-17-2009, 07:08 PM
alert me when you guys do a vinyl pressing. in the meantime, thanks for the download.

paulb
11-17-2009, 08:12 PM
I dig the album.... EP Party on Thursday!!! right?

moomoo
11-17-2009, 08:13 PM
I dig. good stuff, welcome to my iPod :)

edit- Fairwell Fairweather didn't extract for me due to a winrar error. anyone else receive this?

cansei de ser sexme
11-17-2009, 08:21 PM
when i downloaded it there was only 3 tracks?

edit yeah i got CRC failed error in Unrarx

ficklecycle
11-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Pretty sure none of us were able to get Fairwell Fairweather.

rage patton
11-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Well... shit. Give me a few minutes. Let me try to fix this.

Glad you guys like what you have heard though.

EDIT: Trying upload it again. Should be ready in a couple minutes. Sorry to the 12 people who have downloaded it. When I get the new one up... could somebody download it ASAP and tell me if it works?

cansei de ser sexme
11-17-2009, 08:30 PM
yeah and also the last song doesnt play on mine.

Sleepingrock
11-17-2009, 08:39 PM
I only was able to get Gypsy by Blood the rest of the .rar didn't unzip correctly

Boourns
11-17-2009, 08:48 PM
I dig. good stuff, welcome to my iPod :)

edit- Fairwell Fairweather didn't extract for me due to a winrar error. anyone else receive this?

Same here.

Still-ill
11-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Pirating. I'm uploading it to What.cd as we speak.

rage patton
11-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Ok guys, sorry about this. Tell me if this one works...

http://www.mediafire.com/?mxynzyg3ntn

rage patton
11-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Pirating. I'm uploading it to What.cd as we speak.

Did all the files work for you? I would love for you to put it up on What.cd... but apparently track 2 "Fairwell Fairweather" isn't working. Did you not have this problem?

rage patton
11-17-2009, 09:03 PM
I have been told by Sleepingrock that this link works...

Can anyone else confirm this?

Still-ill
11-17-2009, 09:06 PM
It doesn't play for me either :/

rage patton
11-17-2009, 09:09 PM
It doesn't play for me either :/

Try the new link I just posted above. I have heard from one person all the tracks work. I want to hear from more.

bleep
11-17-2009, 09:13 PM
new link works dandy. thanks.

rage patton
11-17-2009, 09:15 PM
That is great to hear! I am really sorry to everyone who downloaded the EP earlier. Don't know what went wrong. I will put the new link up in the first post.

EDIT: And Still-ill... feel free to put it up on What.cd now. In fact, I would love it if you did. In fact, all of you, put this EP anywhere/everywhere you can. I want this to spread like wildfire.

seandlr
11-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Those are some pretty kick ass shirts.

Monklish
11-18-2009, 09:00 AM
I was almost going to consider it until I saw the word "gypsy" in one of the song titles.

Hated it.

rage patton
11-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Those are some pretty kick ass shirts.

Thanks. I actually like them quite a lot.

I was almost going to consider it until I saw the word "gypsy" in one of the song titles.

Hated it.

I have nothing to do with the lyrics. My singer writes all the lyrics. The song has nothing to do with Eastern European gypsies though. The song was written more about his Irish herritage, being that long down the line his family were Irish gypsies. It was inspired by his cousin who got a gypsy tattoo.

To be honest though, Im betting you would only like 2 songs off this EP. You would probably like Fairwell Fairweather, as it is a catchy pop tune, and you might even like Roll The Bones. But I have a feeling you would hate Gypsy By Blood and Out of House and Home.

wmgaretjax
11-18-2009, 11:10 AM
still corrupted from the mediafire link for me...

rage patton
11-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Can someone tell me if this one works?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TIYB9CJK

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Can someone tell me if this one works?

The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable.

i wonder why you're having so many problems

Monklish
11-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Even file servers think it sucks.

rage patton
11-18-2009, 11:54 AM
The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable.

i wonder why you're having so many problems
Are you serious? I just clicked on the link and it let me download it. I am in the process of doing so to check if the files work... for me anyways.

Even file servers think it sucks.

I saw this one coming. Ha ha.

rage patton
11-18-2009, 12:06 PM
OK. So. I just tried both the mediafire and megaupload and they both worked for me.

Do either of these files work for anyone else?

invisiblerobots
11-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Mediafire: Works fine

Megaupload: The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable.

rage patton
11-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Hmm... that is weird about the megaupload... but that is good to hear the mediafire work.

Jared, did you just try downloading it now? Or did you download it last night?

EDIT: So yeah, this link should work

If it doesn't, let me know.

Monklish
11-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Have you tried looking into any crap-friendly servers? I hear www.whatisthisshitupload.com works great.

rage patton
11-18-2009, 01:02 PM
You are too funny Randy. Too funny. I get the joke. I get it. You are saying that the servers aren't working properly because my band's EP sucks. So in order to find a server that will work, I should find a server that is "crap-friendly," that way people will be able to listen to my bands EP. Oh man, that was a good one. You crack me up Randy. Seriously. Tell me another.

wmgaretjax
11-18-2009, 01:09 PM
works now.

Monklish
11-18-2009, 01:12 PM
You are too funny Randy. Too funny. I get the joke. I get it. You are saying that the servers aren't working properly because my band's EP sucks. So in order to find a server that will work, I should find a server that is "crap-friendly," that way people will be able to listen to my bands EP. Oh man, that was a good one. You crack me up Randy. Seriously. Tell me another.

All the links actually work fine, everyone's just listened to the album and is trying to politely excuse themselves from having to comment on how much it sucks.

Monklish
11-18-2009, 01:13 PM
The file you are trying to access is permanently unlistenable

rage patton
11-18-2009, 01:16 PM
works now.

Awesome. Great to hear. Finally. Enough of all that.

All the links actually work fine, everyone's just listened to the album and is trying to politely excuse themselves from having to comment on how much it sucks.

If people think it sucks, I want to hear why. Perhaps they think a good portion of it sucks, but there are some moments that really stand out as being good. I could take this information back to the band and we can use this in the future. Same as if someone thinks this EP is really great, but there are some moments that are particularily bad. If you are going to criticize it, constructive criticism would be appreciated.

alert me when you guys do a vinyl pressing. in the meantime, thanks for the download.

Well, we haven't got as far as an actualy vinyl pressing... but we got the next best thing.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/EPwithCD.jpg

hawkingvsreeve
11-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Without knowing anything about the writing or recording process or approach you guys took:

Gypsy By Blood-

Throwing the snare drum in the left channel is an odd choice, in addition to having the vocals in the right. I dont know if this was something that had to be done due to having a limited number of tracks, but other stuff is in the middle. If it was a conscious decision, I would like to hear why. Also I dont know if you guys recorded to a metronome or not but I think your drummer needs to be listening to you, as the bass is the only thing that doesn't slip in and out tempo wise. Good work on that. The "woos" become a little tiresome, but that is mainly because there are quite a few of them, and they can get cheesy easily. Also, just from a production side you guys should try to not compress the vocals as much, being that you can hear the vocal track peak at some parts. It's completely understandable if you guys are working on a budget though.

Fairwell Fairweather-

Again, tempo/timing is an issue here, but it's mainly small things and I think I pick up on it easily because I play as well. Most wont notice I dont think, it's nothing too glaring. Personally I'm not too crazy about the organ's tremolo speed changing, but I do like having an organ there on the track. The guitar solo could probably be tightened up a little bit, and it would be nice to have more difference in tone to make it stand out from the verses/choruses but that is obviously the guitar player's call.

Out of House and Home-

I'm not really into the vocal execution here, but again, personal preference. He sort of sounds like one of the dudes from Blood Brothers when he gets screamy. Instead of doing the ritard at the end it might be fun to speed it up. The tempo started to do that but then I realized it was just the drums slipping a bit again, but thought it would be a cool way to end it. Anyway.

Roll the Bones-

I like how you changed up the bass part on the second verse on this one. In fact I like pretty much all of the stuff you do on the EP. Being that the guitar and organ are kind of stationary you have to drive the bus and I think you do a good job of that with all of the walking stuff you play. It works well. I do think the track is too long though. I would cut out the last chorus and verse section on this one and after you bring it down at the 3 minute mark or so go into the noisy stuff. But that is just me.

Anyway, good work. Recording and releasing stuff can be a pain, and is a lot of hard work, but exciting so congrats on putting out a record. If someone asked me to describe it, I would probably say that it's like Halloween ska, just not as uptempo. Not sure if that is what you guys call it or even think of it as, but with the parts that you are playing, the guitar parts and the horn, that's what I take from it.

Monklish
11-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Alright, fine, I'll listen.

1. Get rid of the drummer. He's completely incompetent and apparently only knows how to play one beat which kinda gets ruined because it's a shuffle beat and he can't keep tempo. This makes everything sound shitty. But Brandon already addressed that.

2. The singer's voice is the kind of stuff I just despise in lead singers, but what can ya do? It ain't your band really, right? Any time the rest of the instruments drop out for him to hit a note he hits something completely off key. It's kinda funny.

The rest of what Brandon said is pretty much on the mark. Gotta get rid of that drummer. What little ska I like I find tolerable because it has a nice, catchy, full drum part and the bass riffs lead the show. They should let the bass take a little more precedence. Every song starts off with a guitar intro. Bass is way more important to this kind of crap than guitar.

rage patton
11-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Thank you so much Brandon! That is exactly what I have been waiting for. I will adress some of your points.

As a band, we didn't decide where the drums and vocals went, or any other tracks of the song really. We are new to recording and none of us have had any training in terms of tracking, mastering or production. The guy who we recorded with is also relatively new to digital recording (he used to do analog but got out of the business along time ago and is now trying to get back in using digital). We choose him for two reasons a) the other bands recordings he has done sounded pretty decent and b) it was a budget decision. I will pay closer attention to this next time in listen to it.

In regards to Gypsy By Blood, I also thought the vocals sounded a little compressed. I said this to my singer and he said he didn't notice it. As for the drumming, I never noticed but you are right, it is a little inconsistent. To be honest, I think this is one of our best live songs and the recording failed to capture this.

Fairwell Fairweather is a song where we have always had timing and tempo issues. This is the very first song we wrote as a band and this was by far the hardest song to record in the studio. We are aware of these and we will continue to adress this in the future. It is still a work in progress. As for the organ tremelo's... that is the natural sound of the organ. The organ we use is a 1960's Wurlitzer that we got donated to us by a local church. The only time you hear these tremelos is when a note is sustained. I love the sound of the organ, but at first I didn't like the sustained tremelos... but after a while I got used to it and I like it.

Our singer is a Blood Brothers fan, so he would probably take your comment about Out of House and Home as a compliment. But I know what you mean. And I never thought about doing a speed up ending of this song. That way we end it kind of fell into place naturally and we never experiemented outside of this. I will definitely bring this suggestion to the band.

Roll the Bones is my favorite song on the EP. It is also my favorite song to play live. I just love so much about it. Part of it may be because I have basically created the direction in which the song went. The whole song used to be pretty static in terms of where it went (no where) and I knew it had a lot of potential, so I took this task upon myself. Actually, our drummer and trombone player used to hate this song... until my vision took shape in this recorded form. The song actually used to be a bit longer (another chorus) and didn't have the noisy outro. I certainly wouldn't mind if the last verse was taken out.

Im glad you like what I do on the EP too. I actually didn't play bass before I joined this band, so I have only been playing for about a year and a half. But I have always hated those baselines that simply repeated exactly what the guitar plays. So when I really started learning how to play, I promised myself I would never do this.

Overall, that was awesome Brandon. "Halloween ska" eh? Interesting. I like that. One thing about this band, we have never been able to draw comparisons to many other bands and we have never been able to lable ourselves neatly as a genre. The closest we have come is calling ourselves indie/garage/swing. What I do think though, is that all of our songs sound like "Rags To Radio" songs.

Everyone else, take note. Brandon did exactly what I was hoping to see here.

rage patton
11-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Alright, fine, I'll listen.

1. Get rid of the drummer. He's completely incompetent and apparently only knows how to play one beat which kinda gets ruined because it's a shuffle beat and he can't keep tempo. This makes everything sound shitty. But Brandon already addressed that.

2. The singer's voice is the kind of stuff I just despise in lead singers, but what can ya do? It ain't your band really, right? Any time the rest of the instruments drop out for him to hit a note he hits something completely off key. It's kinda funny.

The rest of what Brandon said is pretty much on the mark. Gotta get rid of that drummer. What little ska I like I find tolerable because it has a nice, catchy, full drum part and the bass riffs lead the show. They should let the bass take a little more precedence. Every song starts off with a guitar intro. Bass is way more important to this kind of crap than guitar.

Thank you for this Randy. I actually appreciate this.

First off, I feel I may need to stick up a little bit for the drummer here. As I mentioned, we have a new drummer and he has only been playing with us since July. Our old drummer was a douchbag. With that being said, he was a trained jazz drummer and knew how to keep a beat. When Troy, our new drummer stepped in, he had lots of drum training, but very little jazz training... which is more or less the basis of the drums for all of these songs. We have written 3 tracks so far with our new drummer and they sound quite different from these songs. We plan on recording these (hopefully) early in the new year. It will be interesting if you guys like the drums then.

As for the singer, I can't sing worth shit and he definitely has the best voice out of all of us. What is funny though, based on our live shows, I have heard from people that the first time they saw us, they really didn't like the vocals... but after seeing us a couple times they really began to dig his voice. I wonder if the same will happen on album.

And I am glad you like the bass and I have never really noticed that all of our songs (on this EP) do start with guitar. Thanks for pointing that out.

Keep it coming guys. I appreciate it.

Monklish
11-18-2009, 02:42 PM
You don't need jazz training whatsoever to play what he's playing. Trust me, the kid can't play. Bail. You can find a better drummer than that, you have to be able to. Any public school band class has at least one really good drummer in it.

rage patton
11-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Maybe it is just the area where we live, but there are a serious lack of drummers around. We auditioned a bunch, and we narrowed it down to two. Troy got the part.

I also think its interesting you both compare us to ska, because we as a band have never thought of ourselves as a ska band. I have always thought Out of House and Home definitely had some ska undertones, but not really the other tracks. For these songs, our singer/guitarist said he took his cues from mostly from jazz and swing... but the new songs we are currently working on have more of a bluesy/garage sound to them.

hawkingvsreeve
11-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Thank you so much Brandon! That is exactly what I have been waiting for. I will adress some of your points.

As a band, we didn't decide where the drums and vocals went, or any other tracks of the song really. We are new to recording and none of us have had any training in terms of tracking, mastering or production. The guy who we recorded with is also relatively new to digital recording (he used to do analog but got out of the business along time ago and is now trying to get back in using digital). We choose him for two reasons a) the other bands recordings he has done sounded pretty decent and b) it was a budget decision. I will pay closer attention to this next time in listen to it.

In regards to Gypsy By Blood, I also thought the vocals sounded a little compressed. I said this to my singer and he said he didn't notice it. As for the drumming, I never noticed but you are right, it is a little inconsistent. To be honest, I think this is one of our best live songs and the recording failed to capture this.

Fairwell Fairweather is a song where we have always had timing and tempo issues. This is the very first song we wrote as a band and this was by far the hardest song to record in the studio. We are aware of these and we will continue to adress this in the future. It is still a work in progress. As for the organ tremelo's... that is the natural sound of the organ. The organ we use is a 1960's Wurlitzer that we got donated to us by a local church. The only time you hear these tremelos is when a note is sustained. I love the sound of the organ, but at first I didn't like the sustained tremelos... but after a while I got used to it and I like it.

Our singer is a Blood Brothers fan, so he would probably take your comment about Out of House and Home as a compliment. But I know what you mean. And I never thought about doing a speed up ending of this song. That way we end it kind of fell into place naturally and we never experiemented outside of this. I will definitely bring this suggestion to the band.

Roll the Bones is my favorite song on the EP. It is also my favorite song to play live. I just love so much about it. Part of it may be because I have basically created the direction in which the song went. The whole song used to be pretty static in terms of where it went (no where) and I knew it had a lot of potential, so I took this task upon myself. Actually, our drummer and trombone player used to hate this song... until my vision took shape in this recorded form. The song actually used to be a bit longer (another chorus) and didn't have the noisy outro. I certainly wouldn't mind if the last verse was taken out.

Im glad you like what I do on the EP too. I actually didn't play bass before I joined this band, so I have only been playing for about a year and a half. But I have always hated those baselines that simply repeated exactly what the guitar plays. So when I really started learning how to play, I promised myself I would never do this.

Overall, that was awesome Brandon. "Halloween ska" eh? Interesting. I like that. One thing about this band, we have never been able to draw comparisons to many other bands and we have never been able to lable ourselves neatly as a genre. The closest we have come is calling ourselves indie/garage/swing. What I do think though, is that all of our songs sound like "Rags To Radio" songs.

Everyone else, take note. Brandon did exactly what I was hoping to see here.

The recording process is something that comes with practice. It's obviously a hard thing to practice if you dont have a bunch of money lying around to record all of the time or to buy your own gear, so this is something that will come in time. The EP is very listenable and there is nothing that is glaringly bad or wrong so you guys should be proud of it. All of my things were either personal preference suggestions or just stuff to keep in mind for next time.

As far as your drummer, it will come with practice. Eventually he will get to a place where everything he is playing is muscle memory and will be a lot more comfortable and will sound solid. When I listen to tracks of me playing now compared to a few years ago I hear huge differences, and it is all because of confidence and knowing the parts. It'll come, dont worry.

The point you make about the songs sounding like they are by the same band is a very poignant one, and I think it is something to strive for. My last band was a lot of fun but the songs were all over the map. In a way it was good for us because we didnt get bored of a certain kind of sound, but establishing any kind of band identity becomes more difficult.

I think you guys are on the right track, and this is something that is good to have as a reference mark to where you are now as a band and where you need and want to go.

rage patton
11-18-2009, 11:26 PM
C'mon guys. I really enjoyed reading what Brandon and Randy had to say about the EP and I would love to hear what the rest of you guys think. I know a bunch of you have downloaded it, so tell me about it.

amyzzz
11-19-2009, 07:29 AM
I'll have to d/l it tonight. I forgot to do it last night.

rage patton
11-19-2009, 12:17 PM
No worries Amy. Listen to it when you got the chance. And if you are talking to any others from the BonnaCrew, tell them to get over here and listen to it too.

The EP release show is tonight. I am quite excited.

Also, we are being interview on the radio before the show. We have been told be there before 6:30 and be ready to be interviewed soon after. The interview should be sometime between 6:30-7. If any of you feel so inclined, you can listen here (http://www.895thehawk.com/). After the interview they will be playing a track from the EP... I think Fairwell Fairweather. So we are pretty excited about that too.

stinkbutt
11-19-2009, 12:43 PM
This isn't the stuff I usually listen to but besides everything Randy and Brandon have said it's not too shabby except the name. I like Roll The Bones and the the album art and I love those shirts but get a new drummer, singer, name, and yall should be good

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-19-2009, 12:46 PM
haven't had a real chance to listen to it yet. i got through about half of 'gypsy' but quickly had to switch gears to work

i'll post my thoughts when i have a chance to really listen though. this week is brutal workwise though

rage patton
11-19-2009, 02:37 PM
This isn't the stuff I usually listen to but besides everything Randy and Brandon have said it's not too shabby except the name. I like Roll The Bones and the the album art and I love those shirts but get a new drummer, singer, name, and yall should be good

The name? Really? I like the name. We used to called "Princess Says," but I always hated that name. Eventually I told the band we needed to change our name. It was the first, and last, time our old drummer and I ever agreed on something. Anyways, in trying to rename ourselves, we wre trying to describe how we sound. One of us, I forget who, said we kind of sound like "homeless people playing pop music." Although not entirely acurate, it was a funny description and we ran with it. Eventually, the name "Rags To Radio" popped out of our singers mouth and we all instantly loved it.

I am glad you mentioned the album artwork by the way. I love, love, LOVE the artwork. It was designed by our singer/guitarists cousin. She is an art student at famous Canadian art institute Emily Carr. She is great. She also designed our t-shirts for us and I love those too. Part of the money we get from the EP and t-shirts is going to her.

And thanks for the interest Drinkey. No rush. Whenevr you have time I would love to hear your thoughts.

paulb
11-19-2009, 02:39 PM
im scooblin the ep right now....whats the setlist for tonight gonna be Josh? I hope for a Poker Face cover....and paulb shoutout..jk

Gribbz
11-19-2009, 02:42 PM
I want to give this a listen. Hopefully my mac comes back tomorrow.

amyzzz
11-19-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure about the name either, but I do like the T-shirt.

paulb
11-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Everytime I listen to Gypsy By Blood...i keep expecting to hear a drum roll at 0:11secs to bridge the WOO...i think that minor detail would improve the song.

rage patton
11-20-2009, 11:36 AM
The EP release show was great last night. We had probably around 100 people attend, which was awesome to see. We sold lots of our EPs and a ton of t-shirts. People seemed to be having a really good time too. As for the set, well, I personally thought the first half was really weak... but we kicked it into high gear and ended on a really strong note. So yeah, good night.

superfiction
11-20-2009, 03:13 PM
josh do you have the protools sessions? id be willing to re mix the tracks if you want....being that it is what i got to school for... and while the music sounds good whoever did your recording is a retard and had borderline no fucking clue what they were doing.

rage patton
11-21-2009, 12:56 PM
You go to school for recording? Thats awesome. Ummm I don't think we have the original tracks, but i could see if I could get them or something. And, based on what you know, why was the guy who recorded us "a retard and had borderline no fucking clue what they were doing." This made me laugh actually. But really, I am curious.

superfiction
11-21-2009, 01:35 PM
from a recording standpoint your songs are incredibly boring. first off the fact that in the first song he put the horns in phantom center makes no sense against the vocals. the keys in the side is fine at first cuz they balance out the guitar but it ends up leaving the song feeling off balance. plus personally i would have had you record dubs to get a fuller sound. also as someone pointed out the snare and the vocal are in incredibly odd place. i dunno. that whole first song is just a disaster to me. also i feel the guitar is fairly mid rangy compared to the keyboard/organ. and then the horns switch places out of center....it just seems like a big mess to me. as well as the vocals clipping half the time is so obvious its inexcusable that he let that get through. plus the kick and bass are overlapping in terms of eq so the kick is getting drowned out. or in another track im listening too the bass just sounds so muddy. i dunno. also im not a fan of the reverb on the guitar. did you record it dry and add it in later or is that straight out of the amp? how was the bass tracked? DI+reamping? or did you mic it?

also did he produce you guys too or just engineer the record?

...the high hat sounds like shit too. i would personally be embarrassed as an engineer to show people this. people would just be like dude stay away from my record.

rage patton
11-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Yeah, the first song on the EP is probably my least favorite. I didn't notice how things were centre or put off to the left or right on that song until Brandon pointed it out. Now that I have looked for it, I hear what you mean.

We recorded the bass, drums and guitar all at the same time on different tracks. The drums were mic'd and both the guitar and the bass used a DI. The keyboards, organs, vocals, trombones and extra percussion were added in later and tracked seperately

Also, I have heard you state your hate for reverb on guitars too before haha. But if you can believe it, he has even MORE reverb on it originally. We had to tell him multiple times to tone it down. Other than that though, we left the entire production process to him. We have never recorded before... so we are just learning how this whole process works.

superfiction
11-21-2009, 01:52 PM
the guitar used a DI.

this is the most fucking retarded thing i have ever heard

Also, I have heard you state your hate for reverb on guitars too before haha.

i dont dislike reverb. i use reverb on most of what i do. i just dont think you can use reverb in this case to try and add depth to the mix which is what he is trying to do.

seriously josh. this guy is a m o r o n. im mixing a record right now and when its done ill post it and show you what real records sound like.

sonofhal
11-21-2009, 01:52 PM
I'll give it a listen tomorrow. Damn m4a files.

Alchemy
11-21-2009, 03:20 PM
I look forward to listening to this next week when I have a working computer, and I will post my thoughts.

I hope the recording isn't too bad! I do my own recordings. You guys should invest in the gear, Josh. Then you could just record everything all the time. If you get a decent recorder, microphones, and something like Adobe Audition (which is what I use), then you can make some fine recordings of your own.

rage patton
11-22-2009, 10:49 AM
We have thought about getting our own recording stuff... but none of would know how to use it. We are still learning the ropes. If we eventually learn how to record ourselves, then that would be a viable option. Until that point, it would be a collosal waste of money. I know this because my friend has decent recording equiptment and our old drummer had an some recording/mixing/editing program on his mac. He even had basic sound engineering training. We stopped halfway through recording the EP because it was just wasn't sounding like we wanted it to.

And don' let what Bryce (superfiction) said steer you away from listening to it. He was approaching it from a technical standpoint, from someone who is going to school to do this. It may have its technical recording flaws, but it is still a great EP, very fun and very worth a listen.

Oh, and my band played another show last night. Probably one of the best shows we have ever played. Much better than the show we played on Thursday. Great night.

hawkingvsreeve
11-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah I think Bryce is getting a little ahead of himself. I went to school for recording as well, and you know what? For not spending a whole lot of money and working with someone who is still trying to figure recording out, this really doesnt sound that bad. Could improvements be made? Of course, but I am sure we could list tons of records that have sold thousands of copies that dont sound all that great. Doesn't mean the music is bad. You guys wrote songs, recorded them, and now have something to show for it. That's a pretty cool thing to be able to say.

Dont let Bryce's comments discourage you Josh. Like I said, this is not an overnight thing, it comes in time. After you do it a few times you start to pick up on things like where to put instruments in the mix, if they sound spatially correct with each other, what kinds of tones you guys want, how to get those sounds, etc. I dont know how long you guys have been playing together, but my older band I played in for a long time didn't have a properly recorded album that sounded good for almost 5 years. You just gotta be patient.

Alchemy
11-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Hmm... well, I've been using a KORG D1200 MKII (?) and have 2 regular microphones, a recording suspended microphone with a filter thing, and a little instrument (the latter two were bought together). It is very easy to learn how to use. You can dabble with it in a day and learn a lot. My friend and I have recorded a band's EP before with it. We borrowed more microphones from a church and recorded drums in the church hall. We had about 8 microphones around the drumset. Later, with the same recorder, we did guitars, bass, vocals, and synths. The drums were the hardest. We did everything else in his bedroom (a mic to the amp, and a direct line from an amp output to the recorder). We did vocals in the bathroom with a bed mattress against the wall, or something like that. If you give yourself plenty of time and pizza, it's very useful to learn how to record on your own. We did the EP for free, since it was our first one. I think it came out great. Adobe Audition practically does everything for you, so long as you recorded right. The big thing is to make sure the levels are fine and you don't clip, I think.

superfiction
11-22-2009, 03:38 PM
yeah i didnt mean it was unlistenable or bad music. sorry if i gave that impression. you just asked why i felt the dude did a poor job and i was elaborating. i hope everyone listens to it!

Monklish
11-22-2009, 03:43 PM
... it was way more fun when this thread wasn't encouraging. =(

suprefan
11-22-2009, 03:55 PM
yeah i didnt mean it was unlistenable or bad music. sorry if i gave that impression. you just asked why i felt the dude did a poor job and i was elaborating. i hope everyone listens to it!

You just want to try and find work.......

Monklish
11-22-2009, 04:06 PM
And you just wish anyone wanted your input about anything creative, Supre.

superfiction
11-22-2009, 04:12 PM
You just want to try and find work.......

no. i just dont want work to go to shitheads when im not making as much money as i should be

rage patton
11-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Don't worry Bryce, I knew you weren't attacking the music itself, rather you were criticizing (perhaps a stronger word is suited here) the recording. I just wanted it to be clear to other people that this was the case, so not to discourage any potential listerners haha.

In other news, my bands van got in a minor accident. Looks like all the money we earned over the last few days will be going towards that. Horray!

stinkbutt
11-22-2009, 09:39 PM
In other news, my bands van got in a minor accident. Looks like all the money we earned over the last few days will be going towards that. Horray!

ALL 3 DOLLARS CANADIAN :eek:

paulb
11-22-2009, 09:40 PM
sorry to hear that dude....thats lame....you have a band van?

rage patton
11-22-2009, 09:50 PM
ALL 3 DOLLARS CANADIAN :eek:

Between the 2 shows, new EP and new shirts, we made a lot more than 3 dollars Canadian.

sorry to hear that dude....thats lame....you have a band van?

Yeah. Just got it in September. Hopefully it doesn't cost too much, but in all likely hood.. it will.

rage patton
11-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Anyone know anything about insurance in Canada?

PassiveTheory
11-25-2009, 06:04 AM
I thought it was all free since you live in a SOCIALIST nation.

Kidding, but um, yeah, no I don't know.

Alchemy
12-15-2009, 08:00 PM
So I finally remembered to listen to this:

Gypsy Blood: The song is all right, not really my kind of thing. The guitar is kind of doing this "The Passenger" sort of thing. Hmm...

Fairwell Fairweather: This is a great song, but it could be shorter, maybe.

Out of House and Home: This one was pretty cool, too. Yep.

Roll the Bones: I don't think your singer has the voice for this kind of thing. Anyway, I didn't think this song was doing anything special, unfortunately. Maybe it's just the singer.

Recording: I'm not a great recorder myself, but I think letting the vocals clip on the recording is a mistake that somebody shouldn't make no matter what, and it's something easy to look out for and to avoid. Also, the guitars on one side makes it sound very muffled. It sounds like there was a microphone in a room with the drums, but it doesn't sound like there were microphones ON the drums.

canexplain
12-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Well I had to download an extractor because I don't usually do this. Josh I am the best and the worst critic sometimes. I like most any music therefore how good of critic am I? But I might be one of the people here that knows what the general public likes (on good stations anyway) and the type of person that still buys cds and not just downloads music. If this was on the radio, I wouldn't switch channels for sure. Fun dance music. I like the 2nd song best, has that sort of 60's San Francisco sound in ways (the organ). I didn't care for most of the endings and thought they were a little weak. I agree the vocals on the last song were not up to the first three tunes. Let me listen to it a few more times and I will add to these comments. All in all (fuck randy) pretty darn good ..... cr****

rage patton
12-18-2009, 02:17 PM
So we have been booked to play some shows at Olympic venues during the Olympics.

To be more specific, outside of GM Place during Mens hockey and Thunderbird Arena during Womens hockey. We are pretty stoked. However, these are acoustic sets, but we are excited nonetheless. We are in talks to play some electric full band sets in Whistler though right now though. So that would be awesome if those work out. Needless to say, we are very excited.

And thanks Ron and Tim. But Ron, those harsh words towards Randy are not needed. I actually found his review to be quite helpfull.

Young blood
12-18-2009, 02:28 PM
HOCKEY AND DONUTS!

It should be your next single

rage patton
02-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Tonight, Rags To Radio's show is being webcast live!

The reason being, we won a full EPK a few weeks back. We are pretty excited. For those who don't know what an EPK is, it is basically a multimedia resume that gets sent out to radio stations, promoters, agents, bookers, festivals, etc. etc. EPK stands for Electronic Press Kit. So, we get a 3 songs EP, photos and short video made about us. For the short video, they wanted some pro-shot live footage, so they asked us if we wanted to have a small invite only show in studio. We said yes. The studio is also experimenting with their webcast feature, so they are going to webcast us tonight as well. Pretty cool stuff.

Basically, what I am saying is, if you are just sitting around here at 8pm (PST), then tune in and watch us play! We will probably play for about half an hour, maybe 40 minutes. It would be really cool if someone you guys watched.

You can view the webcast 8pm here. (http://www.tractorgrease.com/?q=node/38)

sbessiso
02-06-2010, 01:40 PM
ABSOLUTELY!

rage patton
02-06-2010, 10:43 PM
So, did anyone tune in?

bballarl
02-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Sorry dude, I would have but didn't go on the board yesterday. Hope it went well though.

sbessiso
02-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Im really sorry I didn't either. Fell asleep :(

getbetter
02-11-2010, 05:24 PM
wow rage your band is pretty good

rage patton
03-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Just to let you all know, we just kicked our drummer out of the band.

We are going to be very selective when finding a new drummer.

amyzzz
03-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Grab Brandon.

hawkingvsreeve
03-16-2010, 01:37 PM
All the guys do.

rage patton
03-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Brandon, feel like moving to Vancouver?

hawkingvsreeve
03-16-2010, 01:53 PM
I couldn't handle the cold. You guys should just move here.

rage patton
03-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Hmmm... I understand. I don't think the other guys will be down to move right now though. I guess we will just continue our search up here.

hawkingvsreeve
03-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Godspeed.

Boourns
03-16-2010, 02:31 PM
I had some of the previously mentioned issues with the recording, but I did like the EP. Sorry, I forgot all about this thread until I saw it bumped.

rage patton
03-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Glad you listened to it and like it Frank. Yeah, we are well aware of all the problems, but hey... it was our first EP and it was a great learning experience.

We are also in the studio again right now. A local radio station has run into some money that they are supposed to use by supporting local music and giving them songs with high enough quality to put on the radio. That station chose us. We are recoding 3 songs with them. However, we were provided with a studio drummer because the studio basically told us he sucked. I have heard this studios work, and they have really good quality stuff, so I am excited to hear how these songs turn out. It also means we will be on the radio.

Also, an old high school friend contacted me and she is in her final few months of school to become a studio engineer, so she wants to use us as a project. We will definitely get one song out of it, two if we use our time in the studio with her well. The should be late April or early May. So we are thinking we will have a new 4, maybe 5, song EP done for June.

bballarl
03-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Sorry to hear about the personnel issues, Rage Cage. Sounds like you have some positive stuff going for you though, so I'm sure you'll find the right drummer in time. It makes all the difference.

rage patton
11-20-2010, 02:53 PM
So. Update. We have a new drummer and he fucking rocks. Our new drummer has been playing drums his whole life and it shows. We have become 10 times the band we were since he joined.

Anyways, we have a brand new EP which should be coming out in 2 weeks. I will put it up to download here for all of you to listen to when its ready. I would love to hear all of your feedback. In the meantime, here is a track off the EP. Click on the kitty.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x224/joshmusic88/CupofTeaSingle.jpg (http://ragstoradio.bandcamp.com/track/cup-of-tea)

rage patton
11-20-2010, 06:13 PM
C'mon guys. I need validation. Plus, there is a picture of a cat. You guys on the internet love cats, right?

Alchemy
11-20-2010, 07:11 PM
That's not the real EP cover right? It's just bait for us? At a quick glance, I want to read TV on the Radio, because of the font.

I'm glad you guys got the recording/drumming all sorted out. It sounds top notch to me. The songs itself is pretty awesome too. I think the only thing that I don't like is that the horns are doing the same thing over and over again throughout the song. I would have liked to hear them do some kind of variation somewhere... But that's no big deal. I'm very interested in listening to the EP when it's ready.

rage patton
11-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Haha, yeah. That is not the EP cover. That is a joke.

And I am glad you liked it! The rest of the EP should be ready in a week or two, and I will post it up for everyone to enjoy. The feedback we got from here on our first EP really helped with the writing and recording process for this EP, so I would love everyone's feedback once again.

greghead
11-21-2010, 02:54 PM
I really like it, Josh. As mentioned, the horn parts need a bit of variation, but I think it sounds pretty good. Dig the basslines. Nice work.

EDIT: Fucking hand claps FTW! I'm yet to hear a song with hand-claps that I don't like.

rage patton
11-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks Greg! Glad you like the hand claps. This song is one of my favorite songs to play live because during this part, we get EVERYONE to sing and clap-a-long. Sometime we even jump off the stage and use force to make people clap. Its really fun and puts a smile on people's faces.

And I see what you guys are saying about the horn parts. To be honest though, we try several different variations. The person recording and producing the track noticed this and asked our horn players to see if they could come up with some variants. After a few hours and a ton of different takes... we all decided the original track just suited the song best. If you notice, there are a couple points where the horns deviate, but they are minimal and just for flare haha. Oh well. Thanks for the feedback though!