PDA

View Full Version : Tell us about 2010 albums

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

wmgaretjax
11-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Well... Beach House and Laura Veirs are already out there... The trickle will become a flood pretty quickly here.

The Beach House is gorgeous on first listen. Nothing groundbreaking, but pretty as hell.

Still-ill
11-17-2009, 09:42 AM
2010 seems like it's going to be really exciting. A lot of artists releasing follow-ups to big time records.

dorkfish
11-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Promos for Liars new album are circulating, apparently.

Still-ill
11-17-2009, 09:44 AM
You lie.

dorkfish
11-17-2009, 09:45 AM
I hope I'm not lying.

wmgaretjax
11-17-2009, 09:45 AM
oh dear lord...

Still-ill
11-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Wow. I hope you aren't either, that's fantastic.

Raptor Clinton
11-17-2009, 12:32 PM
It's going to be called "Sisterworld".

thesisterworld.com

Very excited for this.

paulb
11-17-2009, 12:47 PM
5 songs from Beastie Boys Hot Sauce Commitee are already out...Im looking forward to that, sounds a little more promising...

pancakespancakes
11-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Beach House have really surprised me! This is quality stuff. Yet again. I love this band.

kroqken
11-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Early albums I look forward to in 2010: Magnetic Fields, Spoon, Hot Chip, Vampire Weekend and the Soft Pack (fiormerly the Muslims). All should play Coachella 2010!

pancakespancakes
11-17-2009, 08:24 PM
So, wow.... the new Beach House... I would recommend this to virtually anyone... I have listened to it 4 times today, and each listen has given me so many new things I'm in love with, and everytime I hear it I admire it more. They're not a band that relies so much on aesthetics and atmosphere anymore, but a band that crafts some brilliant fucking pop songs. No doubt they've been influenced by their pals in Grizzly Bear's own evolution. This may very well be the best new album I've heard since Veckatimest, no exaggeration.

Still-ill
11-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Wow I'll check it out then.

TallGuyCM
11-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Early albums I look forward to in 2010: Magnetic Fields, Spoon, Hot Chip, Vampire Weekend and the Soft Pack (fiormerly the Muslims). All should play Coachella 2010!

Saw Vampire Weekend last Saturday night, and to be honest I really couldn't tell the new songs from the old ones aside from the lack of familiarity. Especially with bmack having said that Horchata is all over the place or however he described it, which I didn't notice. Contra seems to be more of the same, which is fine. I mean, with the very pigeonholed sound that they have, what do you really expect them to do?

pancakespancakes
11-17-2009, 08:41 PM
I can't tell if it's just because I am going through a massive Beach House phase right now to begin with, and that today was pretty much the perfect day to first hear it, driving up and down the coast in late Autumn... or if this is really as brilliant as I'm sensing... I'd love a second opinion from someone who's given it a few listens.

Still-ill
11-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Yeah so far it sounds cool. I haven't heard anything from them before this. But, I've meaning to.

Boourns
11-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Downloading the new Beach House now...I think.

Still-ill
11-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Are you downloading Bitch House on accident?

send me ctrpllrs
11-17-2009, 09:11 PM
I've only given it one listen so far, I very rarely listen to the same thing twice in a day, but I really liked the new Beach House.

paulb
11-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Beach House sounds pretty good....I like it....but im feelin the new Bear In Heaven more.

miscorrections
11-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Is anyone else excited for Dear God, I Hate Myself? Hope it leaks before the year ends.

thestripe
11-18-2009, 01:01 PM
That's the new Xiu Xiu right? It'll be interesting to see what's changed since McElroy left.

miscorrections
11-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. There should be a Xiu Xiu/Cold Cave showdown.

wmgaretjax
11-18-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm always down for new Xiu Xiu... Stewart has always been the strong link in that band for me... I'm not worried about her absence. And his other band (Former Ghosts) is touring with Cold Cave... so maybe there will be a showdown of sorts.

dorkfish
11-18-2009, 01:38 PM
My money would be on Caralee. She sleeps with a gun:

http://www.popfrenzy.com.au/img/photos/blueghost_xiuxiu5.jpg

sonofhal
11-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Midlake promos doing the rounds too. It needs to leak soon.

ArcadeParade
11-18-2009, 02:14 PM
The Charlotte Gainsbourg disc, I really like the single

faxman75
11-18-2009, 02:22 PM
You Beach House lovers have a link? What were your thoughts on Devotion? I really enjoyed that album. Their set this year at Sasquatch was pretty forgettable though it could have had to do with poor sound on the tiny stage and half paying attention. It was one of those sets I was really looking forward too but was let down. I mean it was pleasent enough but I was expecting a more interested crowd and a more in sync band maybe, it was not nearly as clean as the well produced album.

miscorrections
11-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Seeing them live ruined any interest I ever had in them. I found Devotion to be nice but unremarkable, and seeing them play that they seemed SO BORED. I was also SO BORED. Sorry Beach House, but at least pretend to be interested in your music.

Boourns
11-18-2009, 04:38 PM
The Charlotte Gainsbourg disc, I really like the single

Looking forward to this

TallGuyCM
11-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Seeing them live ruined any interest I ever had in them. I found Devotion to be nice but unremarkable, and seeing them play that they seemed SO BORED. I was also SO BORED. Sorry Beach House, but at least pretend to be interested in your music.

That's why I considered their opening for Grizzly Bear to be a nice long smoke break and don't regret doing so.

bleep
11-19-2009, 09:41 AM
i feel the same way 'bout the new Beach House as i did with their first two albums, i.e. lush sounds and pretty music, but save for a song or three, the bulk of the record seems to blend together making it hard for me to distinguish one song from another. not enamored by it i'm afraid.

stuporfly
11-19-2009, 09:56 AM

This was not unlike my experience seeing them open for Grizzly Bear.

dorkfish
11-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Liars added some short (probably on the album) clips to http://thesisterworld.com

Most are ambient noises, but some drumming and riffs.

Still-ill
11-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Still pretty cool.

Boourns
12-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Listening to the new Charlotte Gainsbourg. I think I love this album already and I'm only on the first track. Glad I decided to use the headphones.

higgybaby23
12-08-2009, 09:12 AM
^I fell in love with it immediately as well. There's nothing wrong with love at first listen.

Boourns
12-08-2009, 09:15 AM
Apparently this came out in France yesterday, so now the question is 2009 list or wait for 2010?

BlackSwan
12-08-2009, 09:27 AM
I put it on my 2009 list, and posted about it in the 2009 thread, but I also didn't realize it has an official US release date of January 26th.

hawkingvsreeve
12-08-2009, 12:05 PM
New Sade track is hottt.

TallGuyCM
12-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Apparently She & Him are coming out with Volume Two next year. I didn't care for their first album, but I'm sure this will be of interest to some.

http://pitchfork.com/news/37325-she-him-announce-ivolume-twoi/

bleep
12-10-2009, 03:00 PM
dudes, Yeasayer's Odd Blood is soooo eighties right? right?! like, i'm thinking Talk Talk at certain points, Oingo Boingo here and there, even some Bee Gees style vocals thrown in. "One" is a fucking earworm of a song.

BlackSwan
12-10-2009, 03:01 PM
LYK TLLY!!!!

bleep
12-10-2009, 03:04 PM
i should make a cassette tape for my mum. she'd like it lots.

BlackSwan
12-10-2009, 03:13 PM
ur momz would tlly <3 it

bleep
12-10-2009, 03:15 PM
"One" is giving me a sugar rush, man!

BlackSwan
12-10-2009, 03:51 PM
I liking the new Yeasayer much more than I thought I would.

wmgaretjax
12-10-2009, 05:42 PM
it's a little bubble gum no? the first two songs launch forward pretty hard... it kind of flatlines after that from some kind of overdose... i need to give it a more concentrated listen though, my daughter was flipping out on me while it was playing.

Gribbz
12-10-2009, 05:51 PM
I liking the new Yeasayer much more than I thought I would.

I've only heard the single. Is the album out?

EDIT: Apparently it is.

bmack86
12-10-2009, 08:36 PM
So far the new Yeasayer is sounding like they want to be TV on the Radio. Some of the songs are fantastic, others, kind of just there.

BlackSwan
12-10-2009, 10:45 PM
it's a little bubble gum no? the first two songs launch forward pretty hard... it kind of flatlines after that from some kind of overdose... i need to give it a more concentrated listen though, my daughter was flipping out on me while it was playing.

It is definitely bubble gum, and really questionable at points. At the same time there are moments where things really come together. Someone else was playing it through their computer for about 3 spins, so I didn't really experience the track changes, and it all kind of bled together. I do remember finding it annoying in the beginning, and then as it started to recover from the overdose, I liked where it went. But it sounds like you probably thought the first album was great... I didn't really go in expecting a lot.

wmgaretjax
12-10-2009, 10:45 PM
I totally respect that they took some chances... That's for sure. I enjoyed their first album a lot, but it hasn't aged well. They are a really fun band live though...

I'm excited to give it a really good listen tomorrow with headphones.

BlackSwan
12-10-2009, 10:47 PM
I also didn't listen to the first single, so I was really surprised by the direction they were going.

rage patton
12-11-2009, 12:37 AM
So, I have listened to the new Yeasayer once so far. So my opinion is based off of one listen. It is really different from I expected. Not in a bad way, but not in a particularly good way either. I do like what I have heard. I just think they made some weird choices on this album and I am not sure if they were the right decisions.

Tracks that stood out on the first listen, besides Ambling Alp, were Madder Red, One, Mondegreen and Grizelda. The others... I don't really remember much about them. Besides The Children. On that note, I don't think The Children should be the first song on the album. I think it would be have been better placed in the middle and Madder Red should have kicked off the album.

With this being said, I do have a feeling this album was grow quite quickly on me and I would not be surprised if this turns out to be one my favorite albums, if not the favorite, of 2010. This is based partially off how much the first album grew on me after initially being indifferent towards it.

See, the first time I ever heard Yeasayer was on the Lollapalooza webcast. I had heard the name and heard the board bring them up, but I never listened to them. From the second Yeasayer took the stage I was floored. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Immediately after their set was finished I downloaded their album and was... disapointed and confused. The songs live sounded almost completely different than on album, and I wanted to hear how the songs sounded live, but on album. However, after giving the album a few listens, I found myself liking it more and more until it got to the point where they are one of the most played bands in my library. I then saw them for the first time in November 08, and like I expected, the songs sounded really different live than an album... but I love and respect each on them in their own way.

Live they are just a completely different band. And when I saw them last November, they played at least 4, maybe 5 new songs. Every new song I heard them play I was like "Wow... this song is pretty much better than anything of their first album." By the time the show ended I was thinking the new album was going to be absolutely incredible based off of how they sounded live. Well... surprise surprise... the new songs sound completely different on album than they do live. Even moreso than the All Hours Cymbals songs.

Anyways, my point is that, after one listen, I like the album... but I am not blown away by it. And the moral of the story is that I cannot wait to see Yeasayer again. I need to see them as soon as possible.

rage patton
12-11-2009, 12:37 AM
I don't know why I even bothered typing all that. No one is gonna read it. Oh well.

crazzz2007
12-11-2009, 12:44 AM
So, I have listened to the new Yeasayer once so far. So my opinion is based off of one listen. It is really different from I expected. Not in a bad way, but not in a particularly good way either. I do like what I have heard. I just think they made some weird choices on this album and I am not sure if they were the right decisions.

Tracks that stood out on the first listen, besides Ambling Alp, were Madder Red, One, Mondegreen and Grizelda. The others... I don't really remember much about them. Besides The Children. On that note, I don't think The Children should be the first song on the album. I think it would be have been better placed in the middle and Madder Red should have kicked off the album.

With this being said, I do have a feeling this album was grow quite quickly on me and I would not be surprised if this turns out to be one my favorite albums, if not the favorite, of 2010. This is based partially off how much the first album grew on me after initially being indifferent towards it.

See, the first time I ever heard Yeasayer was on the Lollapalooza webcast. I had heard the name and heard the board bring them up, but I never listened to them. From the second Yeasayer took the stage I was floored. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Immediately after their set was finished I downloaded their album and was... disapointed and confused. The songs live sounded almost completely different than on album, and I wanted to hear how the songs sounded live, but on album. However, after giving the album a few listens, I found myself liking it more and more until it got to the point where they are one of the most played bands in my library. I then saw them for the first time in November 08, and like I expected, the songs sounded really different live than an album... but I love and respect each on them in their own way.

Live they are just a completely different band. And when I saw them last November, they played at least 4, maybe 5 new songs. Every new song I heard them play I was like "Wow... this song is pretty much better than anything of their first album." By the time the show ended I was thinking the new album was going to be absolutely incredible based off of how they sounded live. Well... surprise surprise... the new songs sound completely different on album than they do live. Even moreso than the All Hours Cymbals songs.

Anyways, my point is that, after one listen, I like the album... but I am not blown away by it. And the moral of the story is that I cannot wait to see Yeasayer again. I need to see them as soon as possible.

so, what do you think of Yeasayer?

LooseAtTheZoo
12-11-2009, 08:45 AM
I read it Josh.

I'm giving the Yeasayer a full listen today. From the snippets I've heard so far I definitely see the TV on The Radio comparison in terms of the overall feel of the album.

Vocals sound kind of schmaltzy.

rage patton
12-11-2009, 08:59 AM
See, I didn't pick up on any likeness to TV on The Radio on the first listen. However, I gave it another spin while I was in bed last night, and I could hear more what Bryan was talking about. I don't really thing they were trying to sound like TV on The Radio.

I definiately agree with what has been the general consensus so far though... so parts of the album fall flat, while others work really well.

Also, the one thing I did notice right away, which I forgot to mention, was I miss the vocal harmonies. With that being said, I know some of these songs, when played live, do in fact have the harmonies... so I am wondering why they decided to cut down on the harmonies on the album.

Also, Aaron, you should really listen to the first Yeasayer album first if you haven't. As for the vocals, well... I still think I like the way their vocals sounds better live. I didn't really like the lead singers voice when i first listened to Yeasayer, but they really grew on me, as did the rest of the album. On this album, he seems to be a lot more confident with his vocals, which I am not quite sure is a good or a bad thing yet.

bleep
12-11-2009, 10:47 AM
i have a sweet tooth (see my undying love for Phoenix, Kylie and Cut Copy), so naturally i love love love Odd Blood. i'm getting ample more traction with this album than the first one which i frankly didn't care much for. the first six songs on Odd Blood give me such an adrenaline rush that i'm literally short of breath by the end of "Love Me Girl". totally digging the eighties synth pop vibe and the high-pitched vocals. oh god, i'm so totally ghey.

LooseAtTheZoo
12-11-2009, 11:06 AM
See, I didn't pick up on any likeness to TV on The Radio on the first listen. However, I gave it another spin while I was in bed last night, and I could hear more what Bryan was talking about. I don't really thing they were trying to sound like TV on The Radio.

I definiately agree with what has been the general consensus so far though... so parts of the album fall flat, while others work really well.

Also, the one thing I did notice right away, which I forgot to mention, was I miss the vocal harmonies. With that being said, I know some of these songs, when played live, do in fact have the harmonies... so I am wondering why they decided to cut down on the harmonies on the album.

Also, Aaron, you should really listen to the first Yeasayer album first if you haven't. As for the vocals, well... I still think I like the way their vocals sounds better live. I didn't really like the lead singers voice when i first listened to Yeasayer, but they really grew on me, as did the rest of the album. On this album, he seems to be a lot more confident with his vocals, which I am not quite sure is a good or a bad thing yet.

I have listened to All Hour Cymbals and it enjoyed it quite a bit. It has definitely stayed in regular rotation even if it hasn't quite reached levels of me absolutely adoring it yet (e.g I remember Tommy was saying 2080 was one of his favorite songs of all time, or something like that).

The TV On The Radio similarities disappeared for me near the end of the album, so I spoke to soon in my listening.

If anything, after first listen the album was good enough and interesting enough to make me want to listen to it again. Who knows if it will latch on after that point.

GrossMagic
12-12-2009, 01:22 PM
JUAN ALDERETE DE LA PEÑA (bass player of The Mars Volta) AND LISA PAPINEAU are Big Sur. New Album coming 2010!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a0GwMXeBKDw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a0GwMXeBKDw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MissingPerson
12-13-2009, 01:06 PM
What 80's band do Yeasayer mostly remind me of?

Can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy.

Devin the Dude
12-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Yeasayer is awesome now that i've given them a legitimiate listen, but that singer is totally fucking irritating and unnecessary.

Still-ill
12-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Wha- he's probably the strength of the band. Unique-ish.

wmgaretjax
12-13-2009, 06:39 PM
he tries to do the manic/frantic thing and doesn't do it really well...

hawkingvsreeve
12-13-2009, 06:40 PM
I like his voice a lot. Especially on Tightrope, which was on the Dark Was the Night comp.

Anyway.

I've gone through the new record a number of times today. It's good, but not great. It has a healthy mid section. 2 - 6 are all really solid or excellent, and then it starts to get a bit uneven. Also the first track was not a great way to start the record. I'd give it a 7.

hawkingvsreeve
12-13-2009, 06:49 PM
"One" is a hot hot track.

Love the shit out of that thing.

Devin the Dude
12-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Wha- he's probably the strength of the band. Unique-ish.

no way man, the keyboard/sound tech guy and the drummer TOTALLY make this band.

cansei de ser sexme
12-13-2009, 09:11 PM
JUAN ALDERETE DE LA PEÑA (bass player of The Mars Volta) AND LISA PAPINEAU are Big Sur. New Album coming 2010!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a0GwMXeBKDw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a0GwMXeBKDw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I was going through this thread and thought, what the hell is this doing in the yeasayer thread?

FoxeyLady
12-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Dangermouse and Sparklehorse!!!!!

ZOvTme_nfzg

9kAK7mKip0&feature=related

wjFJkIkna20&feature=related

definitely in my top 5 albums of the year

wmgaretjax
12-13-2009, 09:36 PM
The fennesz sparkleyhorse album was better.

pancakespancakes
12-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Right now I'm inclined to believe Liars' new one is absolute genius. Another classic. Much better than their self-titled. I can't get enough of it. It's not a very surprising album, which is a first for them, and in a way that detracts from it... but... it's so instantly lovable, here I am gushing about it after only a couple listens. I think it's great as is. They inspire me so much.

Yeasayer's new one scares me and, occasionally, delights me.

pancakespancakes
12-14-2009, 10:19 PM
With Liars and Beach House's new ones, 2010 is looking so great... these both would have made my Top 5 of this year had they been released earlier.

LooseAtTheZoo
12-15-2009, 06:00 AM
I need to listen to both Sparkleyhorse collaborations. I'm assuming they'll be easy to find online

Right now I'm inclined to believe Liars' new one is absolute genius. Another classic. Much better than their self-titled. I can't get enough of it. It's not a very surprising album, which is a first for them, and in a way that detracts from it... but... it's so instantly lovable, here I am gushing about it after only a couple listens. I think it's great as is. They inspire me so much.

Yeasayer's new one scares me and, occasionally, delights me.

Has Liars already leaked? If so I'd be interested in a pm. Please

miscorrections
12-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Ditto.

pancakespancakes
12-15-2009, 12:10 PM
I unfortunately do not have that mediafire link anymore, does anybody else? Bmack?

bmack86
12-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Anybody else listen to Rebirth yet? Fuck, it's horrible. Although that's not really a surprise I guess.

wmgaretjax
12-16-2009, 09:36 PM
so fucking terrible... but yeah, no surprise given the leaked tracks.

Derekx
12-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Minus the Bear is looking to release their new album in April.

paulthomasanderson
12-18-2009, 09:13 AM
The Album Leaf:

A new studio album, entitled A Chorus of Storytellers will be released February 2nd. The album will feature a full live band for the first time.

A_1_B_2
12-18-2009, 09:15 AM
The new Yeasayer is a bore, to me at least. I never was into that type of music, though, so don't take my word for it.

higgybaby23
12-18-2009, 10:33 AM
I am falling in love with Odd Blood. I've given it at least three full listens and it keeps getting better with each spin.

BlackSwan
12-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Wait, Sisterworld leaked? I was unaware of this.

Edit: PM?

rage patton
12-18-2009, 01:00 PM
I am really coming around to loving Odd Blood. I knew this was gonna happen.

MissingPerson
12-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Very first impressions of Heartland, it's a lot less immediate than I expected it to be. I'd seen most of it played live first, where it's a bit more visceral, so that's fair enough. There's an awful lot going on to get hold of, a lot more than the stripped-down stage versions even hinted at. Lot more cohesive than his previous albums, and definitely an album rather than just a disc of songs.

Different to what I expected, but gorgeous stuff. E Is For Estranged is a definite stand out, although The Great Elsewhere might just equal it. Even in bloody AAC through my increasingly gimped old headphones, it's still glorious.

wmgaretjax
12-24-2009, 09:39 AM
I finally realized what the new Yeasayer reminds me of.

Savage Garden.

rskapcat
12-24-2009, 09:42 AM
That makes me never ever want to listen to the new Yeasayer.

wmgaretjax
12-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Yeah. Me neither.

wmgaretjax
12-24-2009, 09:44 AM
With a little Phil Collins thrown in for good (bad?) measure.

hawkingvsreeve
12-24-2009, 09:46 AM
I really dont hear that at all.

Perhaps I dont have as good of a familiarity with Savage Garden.

Gribbz
12-24-2009, 09:47 AM
I really dont hear that at all.

Perhaps I dont have as good of a familiarity with Savage Garden.

Same.

wmgaretjax
12-24-2009, 09:53 AM
That's possible.

wmgaretjax
12-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Love Me Girl is the best example of this I think.

hawkingvsreeve
12-24-2009, 10:12 AM
How is it like Savage Garden?

I am hearing no references to cherry cola.

rage patton
12-24-2009, 10:32 AM
I finally realized what the new Yeasayer reminds me of.

Savage Garden.

Woh. This is a little harsh. I was quitee the Savage Garden fan when I was 10 years old... I know what Savage Garden sounds like, and it does not sound like the new Yeasayer. Sure it is pretty poppy, but Savage Garden? No way.

Its funny, because this album is so poppy, I have tried showing some of the songs on this album to some friends because I figured songs like Amblin Alp, Madder Red and ONE would be much more accessible than their first album. For the most part, I have had people tell me that it is just plain weird and that it sounds like nonsensical noise. Apparently what I consider to be pop, others consider not even to be music.

That makes me never ever want to listen to the new Yeasayer.

Have you listened to the first Yeasayer album, Becca? If not, I cannot recomend it highly enough. As for the new album, I have grown to quite like it a lot. It is a lot different then their first, but it sounds nothing like Savage Garden.

wmgaretjax
12-24-2009, 10:33 AM
haha. i think it's largely the ridiculously processed rhythm section and vocals... but also the cadence of the vocal delivery... i dunno, SG is a pretty hazy memory but when listening to that song all of the sudden i was transported back to a friend of mine's house whose mom constantly listened to them.

i'm being hyperbolic for certain, it's not that bad... but there are elements that are similar. i enjoy the album... don't get me wrong. except madder rad, i think that song is awfully corny.

rskapcat
12-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Yep, I have the first record. Saw them at ACL last year. :)

rage patton
12-24-2009, 10:35 AM
haha. i think it's largely the ridiculously processed rhythm section and vocals... but also the cadence of the vocal delivery... i dunno, SG is a pretty hazy memory but when listening to that song all of the sudden i was transported back to a friend of mine's house whose mom constantly listened to them.

i'm being hyperbolic for certain, it's not that bad... but there are elements that are similar. i enjoy the album... don't get me wrong. except madder rad, i think that song is awfully corny.

I remember talking to you after you saw Yeasayer last year, and we were talking about how great the new songs sounded live. Is it basically the production and the vocals that are making you dislike the album?

And funny you say that about Madder Red, I was thinking that is really the only song from this album that would fit into the first album. Maybe Strange Reunions too.

wmgaretjax
12-24-2009, 10:37 AM
i don't dislike it... i do think they went overboard on the production though. i can understand why, it's clear they really wanted to try something new, and i can certainly respect that. my favorite songs are the first two... there is lots of production there, but it's less wedded to the ultra-saccharine quality of the other songs.

i do think they are a fantastic live band. and i did love these new songs (especially ambling alp) live.

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 10:37 AM
How is it like Savage Garden?

I am hearing no references to cherry cola.
however I was recently listening to Cocteau Twins' Heaven or Las Vegas, and cherry cola seems to be all over the lyrics on that album. (sorry)

Gribbz
12-24-2009, 10:38 AM
I can't wait to see them. Especially since it's in a tiny venue.

rage patton
12-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Yep, I have the first record. Saw them at ACL last year. :)

Oh ok good. Well then you should give the new Yeasayer a spin. Just know that this album is very different from what you might expect. I still enjoy it though. Actually, I think I like it more and more with every listen.

bmack86
12-24-2009, 10:39 AM
There are lyrics on Cocteau Twins albums?

wmgaretjax
12-24-2009, 10:39 AM
I can't wait to see them. Especially since it's in a tiny venue.

yeah. i've seen them twice now, and they blew the roof off the joint both times.

rage patton
12-24-2009, 10:43 AM
i don't dislike it... i do think they went overboard on the production though. i can understand why, it's clear they really wanted to try something new, and i can certainly respect that. my favorite songs are the first two... there is lots of production there, but it's less wedded to the ultra-saccharine quality of the other songs.

i do think they are a fantastic live band. and i did love these new songs (especially ambling alp) live.

I know what you are saying. I actually agree with you for the most part. I think Yeasayer did have a specific sound or goal that they wanted to work for on this album. This album sounds much more "electronic," whereas live they come across as much or "organic." I put quotes around those terms because they may not be the best descriptors, but they are the best I could think of.

I am looking forward to seeing them live again and seeing how the new songs sound live after becoming familiar with the new songs on album.

wmgaretjax
12-24-2009, 10:45 AM
yeah. it'll be interesting to see how they alter their large format after this album. i have little doubt it will kick ass though.

amyzzz
12-24-2009, 10:45 AM
There are lyrics on Cocteau Twins albums?
Maybe my mind was making the sounds into words. :thu There are at least 3 songs on there that sound like "vel dah ree cherry cola hmmm ahh lahhhhh"

BlackSwan
12-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Has anyone listened to the low quality leak of Sisterworld?

bmack86
12-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Yeah. Only once, I didn't get a great feel for it but it seemed enjoyable, but not overly memorable.

wmgaretjax
12-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Has anyone listened to the low quality leak of Sisterworld?

yeah... only once though. waiting on a proper leak. there are a couple incredible songs... but it feels more like it could be a great EP rather than an album...

damned if those arrangements in the first song didn't hint at something greater.

fuck... i just listened to scissor again. i wish the rest of the album followed that vector.

hawkingvsreeve
12-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Broken Bells is a little uneven. The stuff that is good I really enjoy though, and nothing on the album is inherently bad, just not terribly interesting or engaging. It sort of sounds like the Shins with heavier beats though, so if you were hoping for a completely new sound, you might be left a little unsatisfied.

hawkingvsreeve
12-28-2009, 09:51 AM
With more spins through Broken Bells, it has become clear to me that Dangermouse would like to be Damon Albarn. "The Ghost Inside" is Gorillaz to a fault, and basically sounds like a rework of "Kids With Guns."

Nono face.

send me ctrpllrs
12-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Over the last week+ the new Yeasayer and Los Campesinos! have been in very heavy rotation. I love both of these albums so much. Both took a few listens to really like, but ever since I've probably listened to each at least once a day.

TommyboyUNM
12-31-2009, 02:17 PM
So, um, this Charlotte Gainsbourg album is fucking fantastic. The texture of it all caught me off guard and she has a nice voice. Not really a sub-par song.

BlackSwan
12-31-2009, 02:21 PM
I hope she can actually perform them on her upcoming tour. I might consider going if she does.

wmgaretjax
01-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Baggy Time - Your Private Part Touched My Heart

Do you like twee indie pop that bounces back and forth between acoustic and electro like there is no tomorrow?

PassiveTheory
01-05-2010, 05:47 PM
K, I cannot wait for a full release from this band:

PxByjsWPY8E

paulthomasanderson
01-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Actor Christopher Lee is set to release a 'symphonic metal album', and you can see a video of him talking about the record below. Entitled 'Charlemagne: By the Sword and the Cross', the 87-year old actor, who has featured in films such as Dracula, Lord Of The Rings and Star Wars, will release the album on March 15.

"It's fascinating for me that at this stage in my life, people are beginning to look upon me as a metal singer." Lee explained in a video you can watch below.

He described the album as "Symphonic metal... And none the less metal", adding: "There seems to be another string to my bow. Now we shall wait and see. My belief is that in March, when this comes out as a complete album, it's going to be sensational." The concept record tells the story of King Charlemagne, the First Holy Roman Emperor, who reigned in the eighth and ninth century. Lee claims he is of direct lineage to Charlemagne and says he has decided to record the album in his honour.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X3zLj6hW8f4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X3zLj6hW8f4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t5ZsKMBskDE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t5ZsKMBskDE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

BlackSwan
01-06-2010, 01:29 PM
I can't stop listening to the new Yeasayer. I especially love the joyous corniness of "Rome," and "ONE" is just an all around great track.

Boourns
01-06-2010, 01:43 PM
I hope she can actually perform them on her upcoming tour. I might consider going if she does.

I'm going to the show in Boston. Wonder if the set will include any 5:55 songs.

BlackSwan
01-07-2010, 02:19 PM
With more spins through Broken Bells, it has become clear to me that Dangermouse would like to be Damon Albarn. "The Ghost Inside" is Gorillaz to a fault, and basically sounds like a rework of "Kids With Guns."

Nono face.

Whoa, just listened to that song, and you are exactly right.

GeezrRckr
01-08-2010, 04:45 PM
am i the only one who listened to the Delphic debut? damn, i can't stop listening to it.

or maybe i'm the only one who liked it?

BlackSwan
01-08-2010, 04:47 PM
I listened to one or two songs--Seemed kinda like emo Hot Chip. Am I missing out?

ZackQ
01-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Saw Vampire Weekend last Saturday night, and to be honest I really couldn't tell the new songs from the old ones aside from the lack of familiarity. Especially with bmack having said that Horchata is all over the place or however he described it, which I didn't notice. Contra seems to be more of the same, which is fine. I mean, with the very pigeonholed sound that they have, what do you really expect them to do?

Just got Contra. Most of it is more of the same. However, I really like "Giving Up the Gun."

GeezrRckr
01-08-2010, 06:22 PM
I listened to one or two songs--Seemed kinda like emo Hot Chip. Am I missing out?

wow, interesting comparison. it's less "hot chip" and more atmospheric to me and i really do like it. part of it might be because it's very well produced. it could be on the other end of your sweet spot though.

BlackSwan
01-08-2010, 07:47 PM
I have to admit that I didn't really think about the specific act I was using in the comparison. They were the first ones that came me mind when trying to think of a mediocre electronic group. I meant that it sounded like emo-electro. I got it... Ladytron with British guys.

GeezrRckr
01-12-2010, 04:13 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/2vmdili.jpg

favorite release of 2010 so far. i love the stand-alone orchestral pieces and the way they mixed those parts in with the other alt rock jams. good stuff.

boxofbox
01-13-2010, 10:09 AM
http://bleep.com/site/AE-OVERSTEPS-IMG_3362-Box-and-content_.jpg

March 22

Preorder Autechre - Oversteps @ Bleep (http://bleep.com/index.php?page=release_details&releaseid=23072)

Just announced! Discuss with glee!!!

BlackSwan
01-13-2010, 10:11 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/2vmdili.jpg

favorite release of 2010 so far. i love the stand-alone orchestral pieces and the way they mixed those parts in with the other alt rock jams. good stuff.

Not my favorite, but I really enjoyed the first listen. I agree on the orchestral stuff.

PotVsKtl
01-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Someone needs to get those Harlem kids back on drugs.

GrossMagic
01-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Wow what a great day.

Free the Robots - Here, There, and Everywhere - March 23rd

Gotan Project - April

JelloPuddingChat
01-14-2010, 03:09 PM
So, wow.... the new Beach House... I would recommend this to virtually anyone... I have listened to it 4 times today, and each listen has given me so many new things I'm in love with, and everytime I hear it I admire it more. They're not a band that relies so much on aesthetics and atmosphere anymore, but a band that crafts some brilliant fucking pop songs. No doubt they've been influenced by their pals in Grizzly Bear's own evolution. This may very well be the best new album I've heard since Veckatimest, no exaggeration.

I'm late on this but I totally agree with everything you said. They really stepped it up with the melodies. At first I thought it peaked a little early with Norway and Walk In The Park, but the back end of it is creeping inside my skin and they catch me singing out of nowhere. You said it with the emphasis on pop. God damn gorgeous. Walk In The Park is my favorite song and this will be in my top ten at years end.

TallGuyCM
01-15-2010, 12:04 PM
I've only listened to a few 2010 albums, but so far the Besnard Lakes record is my favorite.

PotVsKtl
01-15-2010, 12:10 PM
I was wrong, the new Harlem is pretty fucking fantastic.

PotVsKtl
01-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Probably too cutting edge for you people.

TallGuyCM
01-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Probably too cutting edge for you people.

That's just begging for another Tropic Thunder quote.

GeezrRckr
01-15-2010, 12:54 PM
I was wrong, the new Harlem is pretty fucking fantastic.

it appears to have been taken down (checked 4 places). does it sound like their stuff on myspace?

PotVsKtl
01-15-2010, 01:00 PM
it appears to have been taken down (checked 4 places). does it sound like their stuff on myspace?

Friendly Ghost is from the new album. The rest are from Free Drugs.

gilwankel
01-15-2010, 01:52 PM

Nono face.
You do know that Dangermouse was the producer on Demon Days? He also produced the Good the Bad and the Queen album.

BlackSwan
01-15-2010, 01:55 PM
The fact that the Broken Bells album sounds like Gorillaz at times makes me like it more.

bmack86
01-15-2010, 02:35 PM
So, Pot, tell me about Harlem.

PotVsKtl
01-15-2010, 02:57 PM
I can't really write about music. Harlem are a sloppy rock band with songs about drugs and girls and apparently this new album is a conceptual take on the Civil War or some shit.

KClYxxxY-_c

One them Austin bands.

EDIT: Disregard that Civil War shit, that's Titus Andronicus. I'm confused right now.

thestripe
01-15-2010, 03:12 PM
hahaha. I just figured Civil War was going to be some 2010 indie trend.

PassiveTheory
01-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Just got my laptop back, this is what I'm going to go nab:

- Beach House – Teen Dream
- The Magnetic Fields – Realism
- Vampire Weekend – Contra
- Hot Chip – One Life Stand
- Spoon – Transference
- Yeasayer – Odd Blood
- Owen Pallett – Heartland
- Surfer Blood – Astro Coast
- Broken Bells – Broken Bells
- The Album Leaf – A Chorus of Storytellers
- Toro Y Moi – Causers of This
- Small Black – Despicable Dos
- Harlem – Hippies
- The Besnard Lakes – Are The Roaring Night
- The Soft Pack – The Soft Pack
- Real Estate – Reality EP

What else should I get?

TallGuyCM
01-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Just got my laptop back, this is what I'm going to go nab:

- Beach House – Teen Dream
- The Magnetic Fields – Realism
- Vampire Weekend – Contra
- Hot Chip – One Life Stand
- Spoon – Transference
- Yeasayer – Odd Blood
- Owen Pallett – Heartland
- Surfer Blood – Astro Coast
- Broken Bells – Broken Bells
- The Album Leaf – A Chorus of Storytellers
- Toro Y Moi – Causers of This
- Small Black – Despicable Dos
- Harlem – Hippies
- The Besnard Lakes – Are The Roaring Night
- The Soft Pack – The Soft Pack
- Real Estate – Reality EP

What else should I get?

That's almost exactly what I have for '10 releases so far, that should keep you busy for quite awhile.

GeezrRckr
01-15-2010, 05:36 PM
I'd also include:
These New Puritans "Hidden"
Delphic "Delphic"

and, if you find the link for a DL of "Hippies", please PM me. All the ones I found were no longer valid. Thx.

JelloPuddingChat
01-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Enjoying the Surfer Blood album. Kind of like Deer Hunter, No Age, The Shins and Vampire Weekend has a tiny indie baby. Basically all that's popular in indie rock is in this record. Esspecially the reverbssss.

roberto73
01-16-2010, 06:18 AM
I really like the new Besnard Lakes album, but it seems oh so very 1992. That's not a bad thing, mind you – it's just certainly not doing anything that hasn't been done before.

patriotsftbll786
01-16-2010, 05:38 PM
New Yeasayer is amazing!!! Can't wait for the tour!

rage patton
01-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Just listened to the new Vampire Weekend. I actually like it a lot. I thought the first album was decent for what it was... but this album really gave me a great first impression. I will have to listen to it a few more times.

ZackQ
01-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Just listened to the new Vampire Weekend. I actually like it a lot. I thought the first album was decent for what it was... but this album really gave me a great first impression. I will have to listen to it a few more times.

Yeah, I like it too. My favorite songs are probably "Giving up the Gun" and "Cousins."

ThomThom
01-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I like it too. My favorite songs are probably "Giving up the Gun" and "Cousins."

I love the new album but I must admit "Giving up the Gun" was awful live the other night. Everything else they played was flawless though. Don't miss the new stuff at Coachella.

TallGuyCM
01-17-2010, 08:33 PM
I love the new album but I must admit "Giving up the Gun" was awful live the other night. Everything else they played was flawless though. Don't miss the new stuff at Coachella.

At the show did they admit that they did nothing but sit around and take bong rips with Merriweather Post Pavilion on in the background while writing Giving Up the Gun???

GeezrRckr
01-17-2010, 08:37 PM
At the show did they admit that they did nothing but sit around and take bong rips with Merriweather Post Pavilion on in the background while writing Giving Up the Gun???

qft. (however, i don't get the sense that the boys in VW smoke herb...maybe sitting around drinking brandy)

but, weren't one of the people hyping them up in the other thread, tall?

TallGuyCM
01-17-2010, 08:44 PM
but, weren't one of the people hyping them up in the other thread, tall?

Probably. I've lost track.

GeezrRckr
01-18-2010, 07:59 AM
anybody have a chance to listen to the new rjd2? i'm not feeling it much..less a couple tracks or so. was hoping he'd come back to form. oh well.

BlackSwan
01-18-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm halfway through Chew Lips - Unicorn, and it's pretty interesting. Anyone who enjoyed the Little Dragon release from last year should check it out. A little more upbeat, but definitely in the same same vein as Machine Dreams. I'm looking at you, Boourns.

ADrunkPoet
01-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Teen Dream thus far has been the biggest success of the year. An extremely enjoyable release.

The new Hot Chip didn't really bum me out at all as well.

wmgaretjax
01-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Excepter's Presidence is an absolute headfuck. Most enjoyable thing I've listened to this year.

LooseAtTheZoo
01-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Excepter's Presidence is an absolute headfuck. Most enjoyable thing I've listened to this year.

Hmmm. Where can I find this online?

Also, I've been waiting for a Noise thread update, Jared.

TallGuyCM
01-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Also, I've been waiting for a Noise thread update, Jared.

Where were you last week?

wmgaretjax
01-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Sorry. School is back in full swing. I have a couple things queued up to rip though.

check yr pmz.

GrossMagic
01-18-2010, 01:06 PM

Do you mind sending a pm of a link. Or where I could find this. Thanks.

GeezrRckr
01-18-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm halfway through Chew Lips - Unicorn, and it's pretty interesting. Anyone who enjoyed the Little Dragon release from last year should check it out. A little more upbeat, but definitely in the same same vein as Machine Dreams. I'm looking at you, Boourns.

does "interesting" equate to liking it? seems to poppy for you, based on your preferences from earlier posts. def too poppy for me.

TallGuyCM
01-18-2010, 09:26 PM
jesus fuck, I really hope Odd Blood is a grower and isn't as bad as it seems upon first listen.

BlackSwan
01-18-2010, 09:31 PM
You didn't like anything the first time around?

rage patton
01-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Did you not like Ambling Alp or ONE? If not, you probably won't have much luck with the rest. For me, the album has been a major grower. I talked to Brandon and Tommy and they agreed with me. When I first listened to it, I really only like 5 tracks off the album. Now I not only like, but really love and enjoy all the songs, except for 2 of em.

Also, did you enjoy their first album?

Derekx
01-19-2010, 12:01 PM
New Emancipator album is really good. If you're into down tempo/trip hop/instrumental music I highly recommend it.

TallGuyCM
01-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Did you not like Ambling Alp or ONE? If not, you probably won't have much luck with the rest. For me, the album has been a major grower. I talked to Brandon and Tommy and they agreed with me. When I first listened to it, I really only like 5 tracks off the album. Now I not only like, but really love and enjoy all the songs, except for 2 of em.

Also, did you enjoy their first album?

I actually listened to both albums for the first time last night.

All Hour Cymbals really clicked with me, one of the best albums front to back I've listened to in a long time, I loved it.

Listening to Odd Blood made me feel like I was slow dancing with Kelly Kapowski at a high school prom in 1986.

kreutz2112
01-19-2010, 04:11 PM
I listened to Toro y Moi's album Causers of This. Toro y Moi is another chillwave/lo-fi electronic group, which seem to be popping up all over the place these days. After first listen, they don't seem to bring anything new or different to the table as far the sound they are going for is concerned. That being said, I enjoyed the album enough to keep it on my ipod and it definitely will get additional listens.

TallGuyCM
01-19-2010, 04:46 PM
I liked the Toro y Moi album a lot more than others of that genre, Neon Indian for example.

PassiveTheory
01-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Oooh, I like Toro Y Moi's stuff a lot, but not as much as Washed Out.

kreutz2112
01-19-2010, 05:22 PM
I loved Psychic Chasms. LOVED. I will have to give Washed Out another try. I remember not really getting into him, but I think I had a shitty quality rip of one of his albums and I couldn't get past that. I am surprised we aren't seeing more of these types of bands on the lineup this year, which actually works in my favor.

GeezrRckr
01-20-2010, 10:07 AM
http://images.vpro.nl/images/42939100+s(180)

Pot, why did you delete your post about this? it was a spot-on review. no longer a metal fan, but it's really interesting (those guys are amazing musicians). the only times i hate it is when cookie monster sings. have you (anyone) seen them live? do they bring the horns?

EDIT: nevermind, i see that the singer plays the horn. cool.

PassiveTheory
01-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Hey everybody,

Get the new Eels album. Unless you're sick of him, then I guess I'd understand, but just giving it a run through while processing it for KZSC and, yeah... It's really fucking good. Sad as hell, but good.

TallGuyCM
01-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Wow, so I just got done listening to Spoon's Transference. I was expecting it to be bad based on what a lot of people have said about it, and I really really enjoyed it. A pleasant surprise. It's much less formulaic and predictable than their last album, and I liked the experimental twinges on a lot of the songs.

One of the best records I've heard all year so far.

GeezrRckr
01-20-2010, 11:50 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/2usftrb.jpg

new four tet. highly recommend this.

GeezrRckr
01-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Early albums I look forward to in 2010: Magnetic Fields, Spoon, Hot Chip, Vampire Weekend and The Soft Pack (formerly the Muslims). All should play Coachella 2010!

4 out of 5 (in november). well played, ken.

GrossMagic
01-21-2010, 12:06 AM
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/128/l_508fd452d5e7490a96da7f5e8712b169.jpg

pancakespancakes
01-21-2010, 12:14 AM
Is that the new Tobacco?

kreutz2112
01-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Wow, so I just got done listening to Spoon's Transference. I was expecting it to be bad based on what a lot of people have said about it, and I really really enjoyed it. A pleasant surprise. It's much less formulaic and predictable than their last album, and I liked the experimental twinges on a lot of the songs.

One of the best records I've heard all year so far.

This happened to me this morning. I really enjoyed it. I think it's the first spoon record that I have really loved from the first listen.

TallGuyCM
01-22-2010, 09:49 AM
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/128/l_508fd452d5e7490a96da7f5e8712b169.jpg

When's this coming out? No word of it having been leaked and it's not even listed on wiki.

PassiveTheory
01-22-2010, 12:15 PM
4 out of 5 (in november). well played, ken.

Actually, he got 5 of 5 right; the Mag Fields record is out officially next week.

wmgaretjax
01-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Actually, he got 5 of 5 right; the Mag Fields record is out officially next week.

you are stupid.

GrossMagic
01-22-2010, 12:33 PM
When's this coming out? No word of it having been leaked and it's not even listed on wiki.

No idea. Saw it on the myspace, got excited and posted it. I have no info on it though...

TallGuyCM
01-22-2010, 12:36 PM
you are stupid.

Seconded.

PassiveTheory
01-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Have either of you listened to Realism yet?

No? Then shut the hell up.

TallGuyCM
01-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Have either of you listened to Realism yet?

No? Then shut the hell up.

YOU MISSED THE POINT COMPLETELY.

Ken said "All of them should play Coachella", Lee. And the person who said 4/5 was referring to the fact that 4 out of the 5 of those bands ARE playing Coachella. The Magnetic Fields are not playing Coachella.

It really wasn't that confusing.

GeezrRckr
01-22-2010, 12:57 PM
YOU MISSED THE POINT COMPLETELY.

Ken said "All of them should play Coachella", Lee. And the person who said 4/5 was referring to the fact that 4 out of the 5 of those bands ARE playing Coachella. The Magnetic Fields are not playing Coachella.

It really wasn't that confusing.

thanks for handling dumdum patrol, tall.

wmgaretjax
01-22-2010, 01:07 PM
jesus christ.

TallGuyCM
01-22-2010, 01:10 PM
jesus christ.

What?

wmgaretjax
01-22-2010, 01:29 PM
What?

passive's response. you'd think he'd go back and reread the posts. at least try to figure out what the deal was... but no...

TallGuyCM
01-22-2010, 01:39 PM
passive's response. you'd think he'd go back and reread the posts. at least try to figure out what the deal was... but no...

Seriously. It's easy enough to get flack from this board without asking for it, much less when it's something totally avoidable.

GeezrRckr
01-22-2010, 01:41 PM
must be the fro. it's grown bigger than his peabrain.

GrossMagic
01-22-2010, 01:42 PM

Back to this...

He has a new blog post on his myspace but it is set to private. The title of the post is.

F***ED UP FRIENDS 2 coming this spring

Gribbz
01-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Gang Gang Dance's new album should be coming out this summer. They begin recording in March(or so they hope.) They've played a few songs off said album the last couple of times I saw them. They sound great.

derektrainwreck
01-25-2010, 01:19 PM
i'm looking forward to AM Taxi's album. it's being released this summer when they're on Warped Tour.

http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/655188707/GR_AM_TAXI_GROUP_4_078_600.jpg

TallGuyCM
01-25-2010, 01:47 PM
So I just watched the video of Beach House performing "Zebra" on Jimmy Fallon's show last Friday. I love that song, the guitar in it is my favorite part of music in '10 so far.

Jman4321
01-25-2010, 08:33 PM
The iTunes previews of Tomorrow In a Year have gotten me sufficiently excited. "Geology" sounds amazing.

boxofbox
01-26-2010, 10:59 PM
anyone else as excited as I am about Dirty South Dance II this March!!?

The Fader's got a preview track here: http://www.thefader.com/2010/01/26/a-trak-x-drake-x-birdman-loonies-to-blow-mp3/

:dumbo :dumbo :dumbo :dumbo

hootie hoo!

hangthedj112
01-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Gang Gang Dance's new album should be coming out this summer. They begin recording in March(or so they hope.) They've played a few songs off said album the last couple of times I saw them. They sound great.

That's good to hear. It feels like it's been ages since Saint Dymphna came out.

GrossMagic
01-26-2010, 11:18 PM
The iTunes previews of Tomorrow In a Year have gotten me sufficiently excited. "Geology" sounds amazing.

Whoa didn't know that! Have the full tracks been leaked?

dorkfish
01-27-2010, 12:52 PM
new Son Lux EP out 2/16

new "Weapons" mp3 from the EP: http://www.anticon.com/anthill/son_lux_-_weapons_v.mp3

Queenie Cupcakes
01-27-2010, 05:42 PM
The new Hot Chip has leaked.

bmack86
01-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Yup. A few weeks ago.

TallGuyCM
01-27-2010, 07:43 PM
So I listened to Odd Blood in full today, and in one sitting, and for the second time but first sober. Much better without whiskey clouding things up.

Although, not to say anyone's ripping anyone else off, but if Animal Collective hadn't written "Fireworks" there would be no "Madder Red." Just sayin'.

GeezrRckr
01-27-2010, 07:52 PM
So I listened to Odd Blood in full today, and in one sitting, and for the second time but first sober. Much better without whiskey clouding things up.

Although, not to say anyone's ripping anyone else off, but if Animal Collective hadn't written "Fireworks" there would be no "Madder Red." Just sayin'.

ha...and if there was no knife/fever ray, there would be no "the children" either.

GeezrRckr
01-27-2010, 09:32 PM
so, i know i'm likely going to take some guff touting this album (especially since this is surely too much for some ears in this thread), but i just can't shake it. metal is not my usual cuppa, but i just gotta say something about this one because the musicianship and edge help overcome the "cookie monster" on some of the songs. these guys need to get the Baroness, Mastodon, Turbonegro et al spot some year.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp19/doden6/Shiningfront.jpg

derektrainwreck
01-28-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm really looking forward to the new Drink Up Buttercup cd. I wish they were playing Coachella, hopefully next year!

check out their new songs here (http://tr.im/dubmyspace), these songs sound great, i hope the whole album is just as good

http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/633755848/dub-band.jpg

humanoid
01-28-2010, 09:14 AM
/\ which one are you?

TallGuyCM
01-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Listened to Odd Blood again today. I still can't decide how I feel about it. The first half sounds like someone put Tears for Fears and Merriweather Post Pavilion into a blender and spit it out. The second side is much less memorable. I don't know, 2.5/5 stars at this point.

MissingPerson
01-28-2010, 07:43 PM
TEARS FOR FEARS!

Thank you. Ah. Couldn't remember the name.

TallGuyCM
01-28-2010, 07:44 PM
You had the same thoughts while listening to the album, MP?

MissingPerson
01-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I just could not for the life of me remember which band it was that they were reminding me of. It's been driving me nuts for ages now, God bless you for setting me free of it.

What 80's band do Yeasayer mostly remind me of?

Can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy.

TallGuyCM
01-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Your new avatar is gonna cause lots of people to have double-takes, is there some inside joke that I'm not aware of?

bmack86
01-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Everybody wants to rule the world, Chris.

MissingPerson
01-28-2010, 07:58 PM
It's mostly buried it the Lets Get Emotional thread, but basically, Ron's been acting like a douche to me at every single opportunity for the last while and constantly alluding to some sort of grudge I'm supposed to have against him that I wasn't aware of.

I finally realised a while back that it was because he kept confusing me with Miscorrections, and pointed this out, whereupon he took another potshot at me and then summed up his handle on the situation with the quote in my signature. The link is in there too, if you want to read the magic as it happened.

I didn't have any beef with him before. But I kind of do now.

wmgaretjax
01-28-2010, 08:04 PM
lol. his senility gained him an enemy.

MissingPerson
01-28-2010, 08:07 PM
I just figured, in the spirit of board efficiency, I'd streamline the process for all concerned.

MissingPerson
01-28-2010, 08:09 PM
You're right though, he's a bit old and confused and neither are entirely his fault and I should be a bit more zen about it.

It's this fucking avatar though, I swear to God it's turned me into a completely different person.

bballarl
01-28-2010, 08:11 PM
I thought you were Corinna at first glance. The avatar and the opening "Mis" in your respective usernames did me in.

BlackSwan
01-28-2010, 09:49 PM
I have really grown to love Odd Blood for what it is. There is this air of freedom I hear in what they are doing, and it's slightly challenging at the same time. The lyrics are a little light, but any darker and I'm not sure it would work as well as I think it does. Songs like this make me want to get down all dorky 80's style, but in a good way if that's possible:

_ixCijaJtdY

And O.N.E. is just joyous, but that may just may be me.

TallGuyCM
01-28-2010, 09:53 PM
I know what you mean about the air of freedom thing BS, it sounds like they were having a lot of fun making the record, very loose.

hawkingvsreeve
01-28-2010, 10:33 PM
It sounds nothing like Tears for Fears.

I enjoy it a great deal though. I have at about an 8/10. Might drop to a 7 though, we will see.

TallGuyCM
01-28-2010, 11:05 PM
NOTHING like Tears for Fears? When I said that I meant vocally more than musically.

PassiveTheory
01-28-2010, 11:18 PM
http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad351/yawntheband/yawncover1-1.jpg

Yawn - Yawn EP

I'd say that if you like Portugal. The Man, Animal Collective and/or Yeasayer than you'd love this band's 5 song EP. Link to a song on YT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGd0v6-ZTf8).

alex gardner
01-28-2010, 11:27 PM
I have really grown to love Odd Blood for what it is. There is this air of freedom I hear in what they are doing, and it's slightly challenging at the same time. The lyrics are a little light, but any darker and I'm not sure it would work as well as I think it does. Songs like this make me want to get down all dorky 80's style, but in a good way if that's possible:

_ixCijaJtdY

And O.N.E. is just joyous, but that may just may be me.

odd blood has really grown on me, but i'm not a big fan of the track you posted. at first listen i was meh on the album, but i really enjoy it now. some really good songs on there.

boxofbox
01-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Maybe I'm just racist, but I think I would like the Ke$ha album if she was a Swede. There's some of the best pop production since early Cyndi Lauper on the first track, but I find that having an annoying white-trashy hipster sing it, is off-putting.

SoulDischarge
01-30-2010, 11:38 AM
http://memegenerator.net/Instances/975/Discrimination-Hippie-THE-KEHA-ALBUM-MAYBE-ID-LIKE-IT-IF-SHE-WERE-A-SWEDE.jpg

wmgaretjax
01-30-2010, 11:52 AM
hahaha

boxofbox
01-30-2010, 12:23 PM
http://memegenerator.net/Instances/975/Discrimination-Hippie-THE-KEHA-ALBUM-MAYBE-ID-LIKE-IT-IF-SHE-WERE-A-SWEDE.jpg

awesome.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
01-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Odd Blood was my introduction to yeasayer and i LOVE it form front to back. Some of the most excited I've been about an album in a while

BlackSwan
01-30-2010, 01:12 PM
The new jj album was majorly disappointing on the first listen. I'm going to give it another chance, but it's like they decided to tone down all of the things about their sound that made no2 so great.

TallGuyCM
01-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Just got done listening to Efterklang's Magic Chairs. It was just ok, nothing special.

GeezrRckr
01-31-2010, 11:09 AM
^yep. my sentiments exactly.

bballarl
01-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Anyone listened to Maintenant by Gigi? I liked the tracks I had heard and am about to check out the album.

bballarl
01-31-2010, 12:58 PM
And the album is good. If you like 60s pop, girl groups, etc., you will love this. They aren't breaking any new ground but it's awesome for what it is.

SoulDischarge
01-31-2010, 01:49 PM
If you like 60s pop, girl groups, etc.,

Sign me up!

bballarl
01-31-2010, 03:05 PM
So I can't figure out if the album title is actually spelled "Maintentant" (which is how it is spelled on the cover, so that is probably right) or "Maintenant" (which is how every publication is listing it.) Regardless, it is really good.

ZackQ
02-01-2010, 06:35 PM
I just listened to Los Campesinos! new album. If you liked the band before, you'll like this album. And if you didn't like the band, you might still like it. They really tried to make a more full album this time. But all the fun is still there.

MissingPerson
02-01-2010, 06:41 PM
The Sea Is A Good Place... is probably the best song they've ever written, I love it. A lot of the other tunes blur into one a little though, and purely because of the slightly darker tone, it doesn't leave me as bowled over by the end of it as their previous efforts.

But yeah, very solid album and one of my favourites of the year so far. Early days yet, I suppose, but still, good stuff.

N6booM03nKI

ZackQ
02-01-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm wondering how the darker songs will fit into their live sets, because every time I've seen them it's been a raucous, high energy show from start to finish.

MissingPerson
02-01-2010, 06:49 PM
By all accounts, they've only gotten better by mixing it up a bit. I can only imagine what The Sea... is like live, but "stunning" is what I'm told.

rage patton
02-01-2010, 06:50 PM
I enjoy it a great deal though. I have at about an 8/10. Might drop to a 7 though, we will see.

So it went from a 7, to an 8, and now you are considering dropping it down to a 7 again?

Also, I figured out where the really 80's feel to this album comes from. The drumming.

bballarl
02-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Blessure Grave's Unknown Blessures cassette is quite awesome. This isn't a 2010 release, but I heard it very early in the year so I am counting it as such. I think it is better than the Learn to Love the Rope EP. These guys are from San Diego I believe, and they make pretty gothic post-punk that clatters and clanks and is generally nice for fans of that sort of thing. The cassette title might have tipped you off, but in case it didn't, they sound a bit like Joy Division...the guy's voice is similar to Ian Curtis and all that. They sound different though, it's not a rip-off or anything.

They might be a little too much on the DIY/lo-fi end of the spectrum for 4AD fans, but it has a grounding in that sound minus the more glam elements that sometimes crept through. Quite good.

wmgaretjax
02-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Dude! Are you into much of the stuff that Night People puts out? That label has some serious gems... You have to wade through a fair amount of muck, but things like Unknown Blessures pop up quite frequently.

bballarl
02-01-2010, 09:55 PM
To be honest, I don't know that I have heard anything else on the label. I was just checking out all the releases I could find by bands on Captured Tracks (they put out the Learn to Love the Rope 12") and came across Unknown Blessures. I would love any suggestions as to what to check out though.

wmgaretjax
02-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Well the label was started by the guy in Raccoo-oo-oon and they were fucking great. The bands on the label that I've followed and enjoyed besides them are:

Dunebuggy
Peaking Lights
Wild Safari
Tyvek
Wet Hair
Teeth Mountain

Many of those folks are prominent on other labels like Not Not Fun, *** Tapes etc. There are a few other good releases on the label, but if you haven't heard of the above bands, they are worth looking into.

bballarl
02-01-2010, 10:01 PM
I have heard Dunebuggy actually. And surprisingly I've heard of the others but have never listened. Cool. I'll start wading through stuff. Any entry points that I absolutely can't miss?

wmgaretjax
02-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Tyvek's LP from last year is fantastic. The latest Wet Hair album is a lot of fun as well. For Raccoo-oo-oon, their final album is an absolute masterpiece, but they have lots of other stuff that is great as well.