PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday 2009: Excel Spreadsheet (With Updating)

vogina
11-17-2009, 08:43 AM
http://www.gophn.com//wp-content/uploads/BF2009-Buying-Guide-Gophn.xls

Update 11/17/7PM.

amyzzz
11-17-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm sooooo glad that I always have to work that friday, so I'll never be tempted to go shopping!

:nono

Young blood
11-17-2009, 08:47 AM
I want to trample a family of six at a walmart this year.

faxman75
11-17-2009, 08:47 AM
What a gross thread.

vogina
11-17-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm sooooo glad that I always have to work that friday, so I'll never be tempted to go shopping!

:nono

I want to trample a family of six at a walmart this year.

Hahaha. The last time I stepped out of the house in the morning or be it afternoon was to go to happy hour. Some punk teen hit my piece of shit car, regardless, she denied it and it blew up into a huge ordeal with our insurance. I won because the dumb bitch gave me her Drivers License, phone number and Vin.. AND YOU DENIED IT? FUCKING MORONS!

weeklymix
11-17-2009, 08:50 AM
I work on Black Friday as well. Should be great...

vogina
11-17-2009, 08:51 AM
What a gross thread.

Be it as it may, I am going to save a bundle buying shorts and tee shirts for coachella, and a cool camera to take all my pictures with. If only they sold invisible beer.

boarderwoozel3
11-17-2009, 08:54 AM
I look forward to the national news story about someone getting trampled, shot or crushed trying to get Jr. the latest Star Wars lego set for 30% less. My money is on Kentucky for the repeat this year.

Jon Blazed
11-17-2009, 08:54 AM
I want to buy a a nice digi camera and a new laptop. Thanks for the tips...I love vogina!

captncrzy
11-17-2009, 09:01 AM
I use www.blackfriday.info

vogina
11-17-2009, 09:03 AM
I use www.blackfriday.info

It's all the same. I was just amazed with how someone created a descent spreadsheet with parameters for narrowing down items in a couple easy clicks. Whatever works for you capt. It's really for those people who are die hard about it or just need to condense all the ads into one and find specifically what they are looking for.

betao
11-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Only in America would the holiday of giving thanks and the day of vicious shopping mall deathmatches for petty discounts on material objects fall next to each other.

Black Friday: never forget.

TomAz
11-17-2009, 09:06 AM
I have never understood the idea of waiting in a long line to give someone your money.

captncrzy
11-17-2009, 09:06 AM
I like the blackfriday.info one because it scans pics of the actual ads.

But I like looking at pictures.

faxman75
11-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Products >>> People

Products define who we are. Mmmmmm cheap products.

vogina
11-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Only in America would the holiday of giving thanks and the day of vicious shopping mall deathmatches for petty discounts on material objects fall next to each other.

Black Friday: never forget.

I have never understood the idea of waiting in a long line to give someone your money.

You both managed to be high off yourselves at the same time.

vogina
11-17-2009, 09:11 AM
I like the blackfriday.info one because it scans pics of the actual ads.

But I like looking at pictures.

Haha. Who doesn't!

Products >>> People

Products define who we are. Mmmmmm cheap products.

Ahhhhmen

boarderwoozel3
11-17-2009, 09:14 AM

The consumption status quo we've established in this country is quite impressive.

bmack86
11-17-2009, 09:14 AM
So, good, you're that scummy person who will argue with a cashier that you know the store policy better until a manager has to come up and make an "exception" to get your stupid ass out of line so that they can continue working.

vogina
11-17-2009, 09:31 AM
So, good, you're that scummy person who will argue with a cashier that you know the store policy better until a manager has to come up and make an "exception" to get your stupid ass out of line so that they can continue working.

Once a year.. Sure.

TomAz
11-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Well, I suppose being a scummy douchebag only once a year is OK, just so long as you get to save an extra $50 on that HDTV at Best Buy.

Your soul for $50. Somebody's gettin' a steal.

menikmati
11-17-2009, 10:08 AM
or you can stay home and order the deals right off amazon...

amyzzz
11-17-2009, 10:11 AM
What about shipping costs?

menikmati
11-17-2009, 10:14 AM
uh, most of the time, you can get free shipping on amazon....or just join Prime and get free 2 day shipping all year long.

faxman75
11-17-2009, 10:15 AM
You guys don't get it. You aren't going to be able to get that 32" LCD TV for $250 by sitting at home!

faxman75
11-17-2009, 10:16 AM
uh, most of the time, you can get free shipping on amazon....or just join Prime and get free 2 day shipping all year long.

That and many of the on line stores do free shipping for the holidays to increase sales.

Don't forget Circuit City isn't gone completely, they still operate on line.

sames44
11-17-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm on amazon right now shopping for a family member's birthday gift, and everything so far has qualified for free shipping.

TomAz
11-17-2009, 10:46 AM
I wonder if anybody has done a carbon footprint study, comparing ordering from Amazon vs shopping at the malls or big box stores. It's not intuitively clear to me which has the lesser impact.

Young blood
11-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Going to the malls with a million other cocksuckers to fight over a parking space to save $40 on a piece of shit outdated tv is just not worth it.

Young blood
11-17-2009, 11:22 AM
fat people.

Distorted_Jungle
11-17-2009, 11:24 AM
You guys don't get it. You aren't going to be able to get that 32" LCD TV for $250 by sitting at home!

and that TV at target is westinghouse or whatever that company is called and they don't last much longer than a year, which is when the waranty runs out so it works perfect for them.

If you are planning on going to best buy i suggest ordering online at around 5 am because the deals are the same on their website, put store pick up as your shipping method and go park in the spots right next to the door for online order pick up only and grab it quick status. That's my plan for the 40" Samsung i'm going to pick up.

faxman75
11-17-2009, 11:36 AM
and that TV at target is westinghouse or whatever that company is called and they don't last much longer than a year, which is when the waranty runs out so it works perfect for them.

That's not true. Cheaper does not always mean it's going to break sooner, in fact it almost never does. I've had electronics from just about every brand out there including those $30 DVD players they sell at Walmart. They all work fine.

In fact Amazon ratings give the exact TV we are talking about 4 out of 5 stars with about 50 reviews.

You go pay $600 for your 32" Sony, i'll gladly take a lesser brand for half the price.

faxman75
11-17-2009, 11:36 AM
fat people.

I won't be there.

kitt kat
11-17-2009, 11:51 AM
...but don't you still have to get up early?

emtgreg
11-17-2009, 11:55 AM
I work in retail.

This means that I do my shopping online, I refuse to deal with crowds.

You all want cheap TV's eh? I hate to be a douchebag, no wait, no I don't, but I refuse to ever own a TV again.

I rarely even go to hulu because I keep feeling that mass media entertainment is for the midwestern republicans, watching nascar (sorry gps) and eating cheap oreos from walmart.

emtgreg
11-17-2009, 12:00 PM
That being said, as someone who isn't a moron and works in retail. Use these sites, if the idiots working the register don't know the policies because they didn't read or listen to what they were told, fuck em, the law exists for a reason. USE IT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE.

Young blood
11-17-2009, 12:03 PM
I work in retail.

You all want cheap TV's eh? I hate to be a douchebag, no wait, no I don't, but I refuse to ever own a TV again.

I rarely even go to hulu because I keep feeling that mass media entertainment is for the midwestern republicans, watching nascar (sorry gps) and eating cheap oreos from walmart.

What the fuck are you talking about?

faxman75
11-17-2009, 12:04 PM

The fuck does 30 Rock, Lost or The office have to do with some midwestern or republican agenda?

You lost me.

faxman75
11-17-2009, 12:05 PM
That being said, as someone who isn't a moron and works in retail. Use these sites, if the idiots working the register don't know the policies because they didn't read or listen to what they were told, fuck em, the law exists for a reason. USE IT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE.

What laws? You lost me here too.

emtgreg
11-17-2009, 12:11 PM
I am pontificating.

What laws? You lost me here too.

4) On the day of Black Friday*, you can now walk in any time you want (with your receipt and unopened product) and go straight to the cashier/customer service
5) Ask for a price adjustment (to refund/credit back the price difference from what you paid to the Black Friday price)

This policy is due to a variety of consumer protection laws that are in place in most states. Examples of these laws are price protection, protection of value on stored value cards, and more. For example, in California, a stored value card cannot have its value reduced for non use. Also, in California Gift Certificates cannot expire. I cite these merely as examples of laws that relate to retail, that retailers are required to follow.

faxman75
11-17-2009, 12:15 PM
I have never heard of a law requiring the store to sell you something for a cheaper price because it went on sale after you purchased it. I know some stores do this for consumers but I don't think they are required by law to do so.

Can I go pay $40 for an oil change and come in a week later asking for my price difference since they are now on sale for $16.99? Does this cover groceries as well?

I just don't buy it. I need to see this law.

emtgreg
11-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Your oil change is a service, not a product.

TomAz
11-17-2009, 12:26 PM
This policy is due to a variety of consumer protection laws that are in place in most states. Examples of these laws are price protection, protection of value on stored value cards, and more. For example, in California, a stored value card cannot have its value reduced for non use. Also, in California Gift Certificates cannot expire. I cite these merely as examples of laws that relate to retail, that retailers are required to follow.

This is pretty much irrelevant. Price protection on stored value cards is not the same as demanding a partial refund because an item went on sale after you bought it.

I have never heard of a law requiring the store to sell you something for a cheaper price because it went on sale after you purchased it. I know some stores do this for consumers but I don't think they are required by law to do so.

This is spot-on accurate and is why I didn't believe the original post in the thread to begin with.

faxman75
11-17-2009, 12:27 PM
emtgreg, that still doesn't show us there are laws that force retailers to give the customer a sale price if they paid full price on a previous visit to the store.

TomAz
11-17-2009, 12:27 PM
He can't show them because he's talking out of his ass. He should be posting in the idiot's ghetto.

emtgreg
11-17-2009, 12:28 PM
I am looking through CA Dept of Consumer Affairs website and so far you two are right and I'm wrong.

faxman75
11-17-2009, 12:30 PM
This is spot-on accurate and is why I didn't believe the original post in the thread to begin with.

I would love to watch someone bring their TV back with the receipt and demand it be cheaper because it just went on sale. :lool

They would look at you like you were insane. Then the manager would come out and have the same crazy look.

faxman75
11-17-2009, 12:33 PM
I am looking through CA Dept of Consumer Affairs website and so far you two are right and I'm wrong.

So far...I hope the law doesn't change before you are done reading their website.

emtgreg
11-17-2009, 12:33 PM
lolol

TomAz
11-17-2009, 12:35 PM
I would love to watch someone bring their TV back with the receipt and demand it be cheaper because it just went on sale. :lool

They would look at you like you were insane. Then the manager would come out and have the same crazy look.

Mark. I love you man. but you gotta listen to me: grown men do not use emoticons. capeche?

faxman75
11-17-2009, 12:48 PM
My fault Tom....old habbits are hard to break. You have to remember I started using the net as a teen so it was acceptable for a number of years. You were already 46 by the time the internet got here so you were able to measure levels of maturity by emoticon usage in the early stages. I'll work on it.

vogina
11-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Most of you just love shitting out of your mouths when your not talking gospel about music..

TomAz
11-17-2009, 01:06 PM
What you lack in content, you reaffirm in style. You're an uneducated rube and a hateful douchebag. Hateful probably because you've spent your whole life being told how fucking stupid you are.

C DUB YA
11-17-2009, 01:31 PM
HELLO!

Chaplipman
11-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Well, I suppose being a scummy douchebag only once a year is OK, just so long as you get to save an extra $50 on that HDTV at Best Buy.

Your soul for $50. Somebody's gettin' a steal.

lul

HAMMERHEAD
11-17-2009, 06:06 PM
this will be the first year that i will be working retail on black friday.

fuck.

vogina
11-18-2009, 12:50 PM
http://www.gophn.com//wp-content/uploads/BF2009-Buying-Guide-Gophn.xls

Update. Added: (added Costco, Bass Pro Shops, Burlington Coat Factory, AJ Wright, Menards, Michaels, Modells, JoAnn Fabrics, OnSale.com, Wal-Mart)

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
11-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Screw price adjustments is all I have to say.

And yes, I work retail. Black Friday will be heinous enough without having to process tons of those types of transactions. If you honestly didn't know there was gonna be a sale, then whatever. But I'd really like to punch the person who suggested buying an item in advance with the intention of bringing it back later to get credit back in the boob/junk. Sorry, but that is just cheating.

It's the same thing as having one person hold spots in line for 5 other people at a gig. One person waits all day and the other people roll up at 7 looking all fresh and get to enjoy the perks of front row. No..... you gotta earn that shit.

I respect people who wait on street corners for hours on end for what they want, even if it is just a 3 dollar toaster. Ha.

Also, read the fine print of those adds coupons, they may just say "Not valid on previous purchases" anyways.

Those spread sheets are pretty cool tho. Too bad I'll be spending my day selling things instead of buying them.

malcolmjamalawesome
11-18-2009, 03:00 PM
I work in retail.

6143DD8smg8

Young blood
11-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Dirty secrets of Black Friday 'doorbusters'
Here are a few things bargain-hungry consumers need to know before they hit stores before dawn the day after Thanksgiving.
By Parija B. Kavilanz, CNNMoney.com senior writer
Last Updated: November 20, 2009: 9:09 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Here's a Black Friday reality check: Of the hordes of pre-dawn shoppers who line up for hours outside stores on the day after Thanksgiving, most will not bag the best bargains that appear in merchants' circulars.

Look at the fine print that appears next to an advertised "doorbuster deal" at the bottom of the page in this year's circulars.

It will either say "While supplies last," "Minimum 2 per store," "No rainchecks" or "All items are available in limited quantities."

A quick scan through a few of this year's Black Friday circulars show quantities as low as a "minimum of 5 per store" on some models of large plasma and HDTVs and popular brands of home appliances such as a washer-dryer pair.

Should Black Friday deal hunters feel cheated? Yes they should, say some retail experts.

"It's a sleazy practice," said Craig Johnson, retailing expert and president of retail consulting group Customer Growth Partners.

"I am old school," said Johnson. "If a retailer is advertising a juicy deal and they are not prepared to have in sufficient quantity, don't advertise it. Or give consumers a raincheck."

Johnson said it's not enough for retailers to mention that they'll have such limited quantities of a product on one of the most-hyped shopping days of the year.

"Retailers aren't winning any customers. They are just pissing off people," he said. "It's poor retailing practice."

Unfortunately for consumers, more examples abound.

CNNMoney.com spoke to industry experts to uncover a few dirty secrets of Black Friday deals.

Limited quantities. Advertising a Black Friday deal as "limited quantities" is bogus, said Johnson.

"The only time it makes sense to have only two or three [items] in stock is if the deal is on a $2 million gift product that appears in the Neiman Marcus holiday catalog," he said.

Edgar Dworsky, a consumer advocate and editor of Consumer World, agreed with Johnson.

"C'mon guys. Give me a break," said Dworsky. "How can you be the size of a retailer like Sears and only get a minimum of five per store, yet devote big space in your circular to advertise that deal?

Sears (SHLD, Fortune 500) has not officially revealed its Black Friday sales. However, the company confirmed to CNNMoney.com that two of its post-Thanksgiving deals include a Samsung 40-inch 1080p LCD HDTV for $599.99, "Only while quantities last, minimum three per store, no rainchecks."

The other is a Kenmore 3.5-cubic-foot high-efficiency washer and 5.8-cubic foot dryer pair for $579.98, "Limit four per store, no rainchecks."

"Sure, you probably have more, but how do you put out a circular to millions of households and only have three?," Dworsky asked.

When asked for a comment, Sears spokesman Tom Aiello said he was "not comfortable" addressing the issue of limited quantities for some Black Friday deals.

Such short supply on deals are not only annoying but can also be dangerous to Black Friday shoppers.

"We saw the stampede at a Wal-Mart (WMT, Fortune 500) store in New York last year on Black Friday that led to an employee's death," said Burt Flickinger, managingdirector of consulting firm Strategic Resource Group. "The stampede happened because so many of the deals were advertised as limited supply."

One retailer, while not explaining why its advertised deals are in such limited supplies, said it is taking measures to better handle the Black Friday rush.

"From going down the line and handing out doorbuster tickets that guarantee a purchase in advance of the store opening, to printing the minimum quantities in the circular, we go to great lengths to ensure that the Black Friday consumer knows exactly how many items will be at the store and whether or not they will be able to purchase one prior to entering the store," Best Buy (BBY, Fortune 500) wrote in an e-mail.

What do you mean this HDTV is a "derivative?" Some of the holiday electronics with those low sale prices are derivatives, models that have a few less features than a standard model in that product line, said Dworsky.

The difference can be subtle. "The image contrast ratio might be 20,000 in a derivative model versus 30,000 in a standard model," he said. "Most consumers probably won't even notice the difference."

A report earlier this month in Consumer Reports called attention to HDTV models from Samsung and Sony advertised in Black Friday deals that appear to be "derivatives." The report said these one-off TVs "with unfamiliar model numbers" are usually cheaper than the standard model in their class.

Dworsky cautions that retailers usually don't advertise these models as derivatives. "There's no way the average consumer will know that the TV model they are buying is not the standard one unless they are savvy enough to compare their model numbers," he said.

Which Black Friday deals are online? "Many retailers will say that their Black Friday deals are available online," said Dworsky. "But they're not nice enough to tell you which ones."

"How about telling me which exact ones so I can shop online from home and I'm not in my pajamas at 5 a.m. in front of your store," he said.

Online deals that never get shipped. Case in point: Sears. Last year, one of Sears' hottest Black Friday doorbuster deal was on a Kenmore washer-dryer pair for $600.

Even though the retailer advertised that deal to be in "limited quantities," the company decided to honor every customer order made on that deal last Black Friday.

Big mistake. The manufacturer could not ramp up production fast enough. Some customers waited months before their order was shipped. Others were sold a substitute model, that was "comparable or even better" for the same deal price, said Sears' Aiello.

Lesson learned. "We will not be doing that again this year," he said.

Be careful if you're shopping online on Black Friday, said Dworsky.

"Since retailers don't have a live inventory online you run the risk of getting an e-mail weeks later that your order had been delayed or worse, cancelled, because the product is out of stock," he said.

About those rainchecks. Finally, if a retailer does offer you a raincheck on a deal, it could still turn out to be an empty promise, Flickinger warned.

"A raincheck doesn't guarantee that you will eventually get that elusive Black Friday deal," he said. "Consumers can go weeks waiting and hoping, and the retailer may never get more of the product shipped to its stores." To top of page

Pixiessp
11-24-2009, 11:27 AM
I work half day on Black Friday. The less I come in contact with greedy customers the better.

Distorted_Jungle
11-24-2009, 02:14 PM
I just ordered my TV online for the Black Friday price online today through Best Buy and put delivery method as Store Pick Up and now i get my TV today instead of dealing with the cluster fuck that is black friday.

menikmati
11-27-2009, 10:34 AM
69.99 for Seagate 1TB drive...booyah!

suprefan
11-29-2009, 01:49 PM
http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Matt/Hey,-wasnt-Black-Friday-yester-SHUT-UP-I-DONT-CARE.png

69.99 for Seagate 1TB drive...booyah!

And I need a new external.

ELECtROjan
11-29-2009, 01:55 PM
yea i got a Western Digital 500gb portable for $70 at BB and so far so good. Not having to plug it into the wall and its small size is great

Boourns
11-29-2009, 02:03 PM
Loving my PS3.

chiapet
11-29-2009, 02:07 PM

Man, I felt that way until I got a tivo. :D I spent like 7 or 8 years teasing people for the stupid shit they watch, and now I can't keep up with the damn thing and all the stuff I record but don't have time to watch.

suprefan
11-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Loving my PS3.

$300 bundle?