PDA

View Full Version : WHO: AIDS is Leading Cause of Death in Women

RageAgainstTheAoki
11-09-2009, 10:04 PM
My God. I knew it was a global pandemic, but the number 1 killer of women in the world? This is an international tragedy. I feel so ignorant.

WHO: AIDS leading cause of death, disease in women (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gLpaAZAmJp4zfdYAfJ6xjVziJnUAD9BS7S000)
By BRADLEY S. KLAPPER

GENEVA In its first study of women's health around the globe, the World Health Organization said Monday that the AIDS virus is the leading cause of death and disease among women between the ages of 15 and 44.
Unsafe sex is the leading risk factor in developing countries for these women of childbearing age, with others including lack of access to contraceptives and iron deficiency, the WHO said. Throughout the world, one in five deaths among women in this age group is linked to unsafe sex, according to the U.N. agency.

"Women who do not know how to protect themselves from such infections, or who are unable to do so, face increased risks of death or illness," WHO said in a 91-page report. "So do those who cannot protect themselves from unwanted pregnancy or control their fertility because of lack of access to contraception."

The data were included in a report that attempts to highlight the unequal health treatment a female faces from childbirth through infancy and adolescence into maturity and old age.

WHO chief Dr. Margaret Chan noted that women enjoy a biological advantage because they tend to live six to eight years longer than men. But in many parts of the world they suffer serious disadvantages because of poverty, poorer access to health care and cultural norms that put a priority on the well-being of men, she said.

Chan called it a "preventable tragedy" that nearly 15 percent of deaths in adult women occur in maternity, according to the statistics from 2004. She said the discrimination extends throughout a women's life, from girlhood diseases that aren't identified because they are not sicknesses affecting boys, to clinical trials and medicines developed on the basis of curing adult males.

"We will not see a significant improvement in the health of women until they are no longer recognized as second-class citizens in many parts of the world," Chan told journalists in Geneva.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved

Alternate
11-09-2009, 10:17 PM
hi. i dont want to be rude, but your threads are useless. please stop creating them. thanks.

Boourns
11-09-2009, 10:19 PM
HIV doesn't cause AIDS. AIDS medication causes AIDS.

Alternate
11-09-2009, 10:32 PM
i think monkeys cause aids.

Chaplipman
11-09-2009, 10:39 PM
HC5yIhhsxBw

TomAz
11-10-2009, 07:46 AM
One of the leading causes of anxiety and liberal guilt among affluent white westerners is alarmist dreck with hidden political agendas.

psycobetabuckdown
11-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Thank you Tom. That was...beautiful and I couldn't have put it even close to as good as you did.

HowToDisappear
11-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Speaking of alarmist, a HUGE pet peeve of mine is the statistic that breast cancer charities, especially Susan G. Komen, throw out whenever they're looking for support:

"One out of eight women are diagnosed with breast cancer."

NO. One out of eight women over the age of 80 are diagnosed with breast cancer. Not 1 of 8 period. I'm not saying breast cancer research isn't a worthy endeavor (my grandmother died from it), but I hate hate HATE this kind of scare tactic.

TomAz
11-10-2009, 08:52 AM
The thing of it is, the hidden political agenda of the WHO report & AP article is one I happen to agree with and support: equal rights for women world wide. Which is why it makes me even more irritated when I read pap like that article. Equal rights for women is a good cause with enough substance that it can stand on its own merits just fine. But attempting to aid the cause with propagandist crap instead actually detracts from the cause: it suggests 'we don't have a very good case so we're going to try bullshit and see if it sticks'.

Don't misunderstand me: I am not (necessarily) disputing the facts of the study. I am finding fault with the presentation and the spin. Yes, there is a lot of poverty around the world, but it affects both men and women. Yes, poverty means unhealthy conditions and poor medical and preventive care; this also applies to both men and women. Yes, AIDS is rampant, and both men and women get it and die. The fact that more women die of it probably has as much to do with competing decrements (men kill each other or die of heart disease at much higher rates, so there are fewer men around to die of AIDS) as much as anything else.

And when they talk about "cultural norms that put a priority on the well-being of men" I wish they would get specific and talk of substantive facts rather than just make the statement and move on. I mean, that's a pretty serious accusation, and I am always skeptical of such broad unfocused criticisms when they are not accompanied by factual evidence.

psycobetabuckdown
11-10-2009, 09:56 AM
1 out of 8 isn't even that many. But 1 out of 8 over 80 is so few that I'm starting to question whether breast cancer is even a problem. Thanks for the stat.

TomAz
11-10-2009, 10:04 AM
The more concerning stat is that 100% of women will die of something. I am outraged that society is not more outraged over this travesty.

psycobetabuckdown
11-10-2009, 10:22 AM
omg i never realized that! We have to stop this.

Alligator Bogaloo
11-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Maybe if women would stop fucking monkeys they wouldn't be in this predicatment.

faxman75
11-10-2009, 10:48 AM
http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/breast/images/chart_top10_05.jpg

That's right, more women die of Alzheimer's disease than breast cancer.

Who knew? Not me.

Young blood
11-10-2009, 11:01 AM
How the fuck does one die from Alzheimer's disease? Your organs forget to function?

Boourns
11-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Merle really died from drinking breast milk from a woman with AIDZ.

.God.
11-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Sorry about all of this, everyone.

hawkingvsreeve
11-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Oh look, another completely unnecessary and unfunny alias.

Archie Bunker
11-10-2009, 03:44 PM
The article is idiotic.

It is true that women are second-class citizens in many developing countries. It is also true that AIDS runs rampant in these areas.

However, the rest of the article is crap. Conspiracies to go after treating diseases more prevalent in adult males? No. Unequal health treatment between males and females? I doubt that, unless it's related to poverty. I doubt that, in the same family, a sick male would be treated and a sick female would not.

AIDS occurring in women due to lack of access to contraception? Maybe somewhat, but it is more of a cultural thing, where the men there wouldn't want to use condoms anyway.

greghead
11-10-2009, 05:03 PM
The article is idiotic.

It is true that women are second-class citizens in many developing countries. It is also true that AIDS runs rampant in these areas.

However, the rest of the article is crap. Conspiracies to go after treating diseases more prevalent in adult males? No. Unequal health treatment between males and females? I doubt that, unless it's related to poverty. I doubt that, in the same family, a sick male would be treated and a sick female would not.

AIDS occurring in women due to lack of access to contraception? Maybe somewhat, but it is more of a cultural thing, where the men there wouldn't want to use condoms anyway.

My god you're thick.

The very practices you are refuting can be explained, in part, by what you acknowledge in your first sentence: that women are subordinate to men in many of the communities the article is referring to.

Archie Bunker
11-11-2009, 12:24 AM
My god you're thick.

The very practices you are refuting can be explained, in part, by what you acknowledge in your first sentence: that women are subordinate to men in many of the communities the article is referring to.

You didn't understand what I wrote.

Read again and then look in the mirror when it comes to discovering the thick one.

Here's a hint: His name isn't Alan.