PDA

View Full Version : What was the biggest production in Coachella history?

gearbm95
11-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Out of all the performers who have played Coachella over the years, who brought with them the largest and most elaborate production? I was just curious about this as many of the large acts that have played Coachella have been exclusive "gets", which means they were either one-off shows or reunion gigs, which neither usually carry a large production due to cost and the very limited use.

I personally would have loved for Nine Inch Nails to bring their Lights In The Sky production or Radiohead's production they had when touring behind In Rainbows.

Wheres the beef?
11-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Daft Punk or Roger Waters.

eskamo951
11-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Of the ones I've been to, Roger Waters. The Pig flew away...and I was sober and blown away

gaypalmsprings
11-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Phish.

Wheres the beef?
11-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Phish.

Doesnt count.

blackchango
11-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Naked wizard guy !

JustSteve
11-10-2009, 09:18 AM
daft punk supposedly spent their entire payment for coachella on the pyramid, etc. not sure of the number, but maybe $500,000?

the production with the most elements had to be waters, though. the spotlights, surround sound, the pig, that giant screen, the plane dropping confetti...

BROKENDOLL
11-10-2009, 10:07 AM
daft punk supposedly spent their entire payment for coachella on the pyramid, etc. not sure of the number, but maybe $500,000?

the production with the most elements had to be waters, though. the spotlights, surround sound, the pig, that giant screen, the plane dropping confetti...
Agreed. And, the Good Karma followed them on the tour that followed. Now, I'm hoping there's enough of that Good Karma to bring them back to Coach next year.

Mau5 Boyz
11-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Steve Aoki's Raft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was awesome!

It probably took a lot of money and time to coordinate.

nbvcide
11-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Henry Rollins.

gaypalmsprings
11-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Madonna.

GeezrRckr
11-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Henry Rollins.

lolz. i was gonna say sean penn, but i like this better and i bet henry would too.

beavington
11-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Out of all the performers who have played Coachella over the years, who brought with them the largest and most elaborate production? I was just curious about this as many of the large acts that have played Coachella have been exclusive "gets", which means they were either one-off shows or reunion gigs, which neither usually carry a large production due to cost and the very limited use.

I personally would have loved for Nine Inch Nails to bring their Lights In The Sky production or Radiohead's production they had when touring behind In Rainbows.

I think the largest production was ROger Waters. The exclusive "gets" iwould say were Daft Punk, well I guess it wasnt so exclusive but it was a good start.

Madonna was a pretty big name to get as a non headliner. But she was on a promo tour anyway.

Wasnt it Coachella that brought back the reformed Stooges? (I could be wrong on that).

Rage Against the Machine was pretty big to get also considering I dont recall talk of them ever reforming until it was announced that they were headlining.

Prince was pretty exclusive big too.

and for me personally Portishead was awesome. I had dreamed of hearing them live on that polo field but thought perhaps it would never happen.

oh and of course Aphex Twin I thought was a pretty exclusive set.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Yes, Portishead and Aphex Twin in one weekend is pretty much what sealed the deal and got me to go to my very first Coachella.

of course now I'm in the "going every year no matter what" category

beavington
11-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Yes, Portishead and Aphex Twin in one weekend is pretty much what sealed the deal and got me to go to my very first Coachella.

of course now I'm in the "going every year no matter what" category

I always said that and then I would back out of that st atement, but then when it sold out so fast in 07 i decided that i dont want to have that happen again so I will buy tickets asap every year.

But APhex Twin being added to 08 made my buy my tickets immediately upon hearing that, and then I think it was around that same time Portishead said they wont be doing a proper tour for that album.

darkjustice
11-16-2009, 09:50 PM
I dressed some guy up when he opened the porta john door on me.

nbvcide
11-16-2009, 10:35 PM
are you sure you didn't dress him down?

try locking the door next time..

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-16-2009, 10:50 PM
I always said that and then I would back out of that st atement, but then when it sold out so fast in 07 i decided that i dont want to have that happen again so I will buy tickets asap every year.

But APhex Twin being added to 08 made my buy my tickets immediately upon hearing that, and then I think it was around that same time Portishead said they wont be doing a proper tour for that album.

I didn't even know Portishead said that...I was intensely excited to see them at Coachella and THEN a proper headlining gig...only after the fest did I realize what a special thing I had witnessed

That ONE set was worth every penny I spent for the whole weekend and on top of that I got three of the best days of my life.

LiKeBuTtAh !
11-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Roger Waters performing Dark Side of the Moon, bar none.

Stickjohn
11-17-2009, 05:26 PM
What I liked about Waters was he had both the spectacular flashy elements and some more artistic. I love the video he uses in that show.

Monklish
11-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Waters had the biggest production and the worst musicians.

LiKeBuTtAh !
11-18-2009, 07:07 AM
Waters had the biggest production and the worst musicians.

Yeah, Prince should have loaned him Sheila E :/

Waters and his folks displayed masterfully spectacular musicality...wasn't there a chick playing the violin and drums at the same time?

ballroomdancer22
12-01-2009, 08:58 PM
God!, Etienne de Crecy is a letdown live

thefriedman94
12-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Of the ones I've been to, Roger Waters. The Pig flew away...and I was sober and blown away
Is there any video of it?

thefriedman94
12-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Madonna.
What did she have for her set?

venturas90sgirl
12-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Prince and Paul McC both had spectacular productions on top of their amazing sets.

As for non-headliners, I'd second Portishead and raise My Bloody Valentine. 20 sublime minutes of one note made for the most shocking set this year for me.

SnowShoe
12-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Prince was the most exclusive booking, bar none. He hasn't played a festival in 2 decades and they paid him over $2 million.

Roger Waters was the best light/sound show.

McCartney's video walls were also insane. I think there is only one of those video rigs in existence.

Mickjagger00
12-18-2009, 10:01 PM
prince wasnt the most elaborate stage production. macca's production was ok. I'd have to say tv on the radio's sheets were pretty groovy. oh and robert smiths sausage like fingers were great.

sbessiso
12-19-2009, 03:41 AM
oh and robert smiths sausage like fingers were great.

LOL!

The glow in the dark stars on his guitar were neat too.

But seriously, regarding the cure--they didnt have a light show (it was only the coachella mainstage lights if I remember correctly), they didnt have fireworks, they didnt even have smoke, and it was still the most incredible thing i've ever witnessed.

everything about that set was fucking perfection

dontfeedthebird
12-19-2009, 06:29 AM

except that it was the cure that was playing.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
12-21-2009, 01:04 PM
i don't hear about The Verve's set from 2008 much on here, and while certainly not the BIGGEST it was pretty over the top and spectacular

Boourns
12-26-2009, 07:25 AM
I want McCartney's screens and Waters' surround sound and flame-throwers for every set on the main stage. And fireworks.

eskamo951
12-30-2009, 02:42 PM
LOL!

The glow in the dark stars on his guitar were neat too.

But seriously, regarding the cure--they didnt have a light show (it was only the coachella mainstage lights if I remember correctly), they didnt have fireworks, they didnt even have smoke, and it was still the most incredible thing i've ever witnessed.

I wasn't much of a fan of The Cure until I wandered into the Main Stage area during Pictures of You. I spent the rest of the night there.

LiKeBuTtAh !
12-30-2009, 02:53 PM
I wasn't much of a fan of The Cure until I wandered into the Main Stage area during Pictures of You. I spent the rest of the night there.

^my sentiments exactly^

El.C.Dub
12-30-2009, 03:06 PM
After the incredible letdown that was Etienne de Crecy, I was meandering back towards the mainstage and got drawn in as well. Etienne was a huge disappointment in terms of production as well, considering that the "cube" was nothing more than pvc pipes and a fucking sheet.

Biggest spectacle was probably Waters. Only set that could come close is Daft Punk and that is because their pyramid was really something special.