PDA

View Full Version : Tai-Chi? Yoga? Meditation?

drewdrewdrew
11-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Hey guys, I am starting to try and get into some tai-chi and meditation type stuff, I was just wondering if anyone was into it?

I dont know much about any of it, but I would really like to start. I think that it will help me out in my life, any suggestions are helpful! thanks.

gaypalmsprings
11-08-2009, 12:06 PM
http://ephemerist.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/tai-chi-2.jpg

loganadrian28
01-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Cute pic. Didn't know monkey also practice TaiChi.

Sleepingrock
01-09-2010, 11:01 PM
^ excellent first post

I love meditation and Yoga, though its just a hobby that I do once it a while... I should really take a class

JewFace
01-09-2010, 11:32 PM
I started Bikram Yoga last year. I thought I was in shape before. Boy, was I wrong. I pretty much hurt everywhere after the first few sessions and who knew humans could sweat that much? While it remains challenging, it gets a bit easier after a couple of weeks and I consider it absolutely essential to remaining physically and mentally healthy now. I'm sure there are classes in or near Reno.

boarderwoozel3
01-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Hmm, there's a Bikram Yoga studio a short drive away... now I'm intrigued.

JewFace
01-09-2010, 11:44 PM
If you're looking to be more... bendy. It's the ticket! :thu

I didn't do any yoga when in Miami for the last two weeks and boy did I feel it hardcore when I started it up again on Thursday.

boarderwoozel3
01-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Bendy is good. It'll be great for dancing... ha. The snazzy studio in town has a new student intro rate that's $20 with unlimited visits for the first 14 days so there's no reason not to try.

What, if any, recovery period can a beginner who's not terribly flexible expect after the initial classes? Not for me, asking for a friend, of course.

JewFace
01-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Being bendy has many benefits for one's social life. Well, I'm sure recovery periods vary from person to person. For "your friend" I imagine it has to do with his or her athleticism and his/her past experiences. I considered myself healthy and athletic. Worked out pretty hardcore on a regular basis, was on the swim team, even took ballet and modern dance classes in school (I know, I know) and I would say the first week I could barely walk and the second week was akin to, say, the way one's muscles feel when you first start weight training and by the third week I'd settled in a bit more. One thing I'd say is not to be overzealous. You're in a room that's heated to well over 100 degrees and heat can temporarily make one's muscles a bit more...elastic?

Another thing to note, I'd say yoga has given me the strongest core I've ever had. I don't do situps or any ab-specific exercises anymore.

biggfoot17
01-10-2010, 12:12 AM
It really depends what type of yoga you're doing. If it's something like ashtanga, you're going to be hurting. If it's something a little lighter, like anusara, it won't be as bad. However, expect to feel sore in places you haven't felt before after your first few classes. There's a lot of little things to pay attention to that you'll pick up over time, but expect to feel awkward during your first couple of classes. Just let the teacher know you're new to yoga and they'll pay more attention to you so that you're not doing anything too out of wack

boarderwoozel3
01-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Excellent, sounds promising. I'm really looking forward to this. Athleticism certainly isn't an issue having been active in football (soccer) for as long as I can remember, weight training on a regular basis and regular treadmill/outdoor running. Thanks for bringing this idea up. My current fitness regiment has grown a bit stale and this seems like an excellent addition to keep things fresh.

atom heart
01-10-2010, 06:25 AM
I can't imagine doing yoga in an hundred degree room. I got nauseatingly hot just doing ashtanga in a 70 degree room. What's the point of exercising in a sauna like that?

disgustipated
01-10-2010, 06:25 AM
If you're looking to be more... bendy. It's the ticket!

GAY!!

biggfoot17
01-10-2010, 07:41 AM
I can't imagine doing yoga in an hundred degree room. I got nauseatingly hot just doing ashtanga in a 70 degree room. What's the point of exercising in a sauna like that?

105 degree room*

The heat gets your muscles so loose that you're enabled to go even deeper in your postures. It's also a bit more of a mental challenge, as I get kinda bored in non-heated classes. I really don't like ashtanga. That shit is hard. I'm taking an intro to ashtanga class with Tim Miller tomorrow, if any of you know who he is. Should be interesting.

TheWatcher
01-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Yeah, Ashtanga is challenging, but it's a really great workout, without much danger of injury (as long as you have a good teacher). I'd love to find a yoga studio around here that I could afford!

yeahfontaine
01-10-2010, 04:14 PM
I do Vinyasa Flow that's practiced in a 90-degree room. It's perfect and I love it. Hot enough to loosen your muscles, but not hot enough to make you feel like you're practicing in the 7th circle of Hell.

I took one Bikram class and I felt like I was going to throw up the whole time. Countless people have told me it takes some getting used to and they swear by it, but I think I'm too much of a Northwest girl to handle that extreme heat, especially when I'm exercising.

The other thing I didn't like about it is that the practice seems so reliant on poses that work your bottom half only. In Vinyasa Flow, we do a ton of Downward Facing Dogs that move us from one pose to the next, so I find that not only are my core and legs strong, but I get a badass arm workout. It's feels awesome to have strong girl-arms.

Sonybonez
03-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Hey! I teach Vinyasa classes here in Dallas and am offering free classes at Coachella.. Check it out if you're interested :)

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37904

marooko
03-19-2010, 08:48 AM
It's Eastern, it will help.

Mr. Dylanja
03-19-2010, 02:07 PM
What do you wear to a bikram yoga class?

Sexecutioner
03-19-2010, 02:41 PM
I really don't like ashtanga. That shit is hard.

Exercise is supposed to be hard, pussy. If it's not hard, you dont gain anything (unless you are just going for the more mental/relaxation aspect). For me though, I cant stand when I go to a yoga class and it's mostly just stretching and breathing and I dont even break a sweat...what a waste of time.