PDA

View Full Version : Does Goldenvoice care about what we think?

Radiohead
11-08-2009, 03:31 AM
I sometimes see people on these message boards who seem to be under the impression that Goldenvoice executives read and consider what we write here. Do you guys think they pay any attention to the message boards?

gaypalmsprings
11-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Wait. Wut?

blackchango
11-08-2009, 09:46 AM
I sometimes see people on these message boards who seem to be under the impression that Goldenvoice executives read and consider what we write here. Do you guys think they pay any attention to the message boards?
They only hate and ignore you.

Ardentbiscuit
11-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Festival Check List...

Bonnaroo

2010 dates announced

Lollapalooza

2010 dates announced
Early Bird Tickets already on sale and sold out at a lower price

Sasquatch

Early Bird Tickets on sale
1 Headliner leaked

Coachella

Nada
Zilch
Nothing

Quote from LA Times Pop and Hiss blog...

"A Coachella spokeswoman declined to comment, and said there was nothing to reveal in regard to 2010 dates or when a lineup may be announced. Coachella promoter Goldenvoice has unveiled some of 2010's lineup for Stagecoach, the country fest that shares the Coachella grounds. Stagecoach is set for April 24-25."

So I would say NO! They don't care what we think.

superfiction
11-08-2009, 10:24 AM
they care. stop all your whinning. they arent just selfishly booking their own festival. theyre are figuring out what people what and what they think people will like and then putting together the best line up they can. no one does it like goldenvoice i will stand by them forever

Ardentbiscuit
11-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm not whining. Just being a realist. I'm sure they don't have the time or energy to hear everyone's input on the festival so they just do their own thing.

Don't get me wrong. I love the festival. And I go every year no matter the line up.

I just don't think they care about us. That is all.

superfiction
11-08-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm not whining. Just being a realist. I'm sure they don't have the time or energy to hear everyone's input on the festival so they just do their own thing.

Don't get me wrong. I love the festival. And I go every year no matter the line up.

well obviously they dont ask everyone individually. but they are always looking for new names they havent thought of and the names of artists in high demand from repeat coachella attendees and figuring out what the big up and coming acts are. like i said. they care

Ardentbiscuit
11-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Sorry for being negative....

I didn't mean my comments to come out that way.

JustSteve
11-08-2009, 11:11 AM

so why does paul walk around the festival grounds talking and listening to fans throughout the weekend?

i know these people and they do pay attention and listen.

superfiction
11-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Sorry for being negative....

I didn't mean my comments to come out that way.

no worries just wanted to ease your thoughts haha

Ardentbiscuit
11-08-2009, 11:19 AM
so why does paul walk around the festival grounds talking and listening to fans throughout the weekend?

i know these people and they do pay attention and listen.

I heard that but I've never seen him.

How well do you know the Goldenvoice people?

stinkbutt
11-08-2009, 11:29 AM
If they do

The Very Best for 2010

JustSteve
11-08-2009, 11:32 AM
back in the late 90's i used to work/intern for the guy who produces the festival these days, when he had his own promotion company - he was the guy showing huell howser around in the california gold coachella episode, for reference. there was quite a bit of co-promotion with goldenvoice back then and i have seen how they run things. he has remained a friend throughout the years since.

i also see how hard they work every year to make coachella the best it can be for the fans, which is sometimes a thankless job based on what you read here.

i have seen paul walking around at shows as diverse as justin timberlake at staples to small little gigs at the glasshouse. he is one of us, a fan of music, so of course he cares what we think.

stinkbutt
11-08-2009, 11:33 AM
I heard that but I've never seen him.

I met Paul in 07 he gave us a backstage tour on Thursday night and ended up giving us all free vip, he is such a down to earth chill guy. When you talk to him it's just like your talking to any other person at Coachella just a fan of music, actually I didn't even realize who he was until later the next day when a friend was going through my pics and pointed it out. I really would like to run in to him again and thank him knowing who he is this time.

Gribbz
11-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Wait, Bonnaroo 2010 dates were announced?

Cheddar's Cousin
11-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Of course they care. They gave us Jack Johnson, didn't they?

emtgreg
11-08-2009, 12:02 PM
They also gave us Jack Johnson fans, specifically the girl ones. Cute open minded girls are a positive addition to ANY event, music festival, back yard rave, my sahara porto-potty, etc...

BROKENDOLL
11-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Geez, have you ever paid close attention to this message board? We're lucky to get an awesome music festival and not a "Day Cares Gone Wild" or "Jerry Springer" convention every year!

Festival Check List...

Bonnaroo

2010 dates announced

Lollapalooza

2010 dates announced
Early Bird Tickets already on sale and sold out at a lower price

Sasquatch

Early Bird Tickets on sale
1 Headliner leaked

Coachella

Nada
Zilch
Nothing

Quote from LA Times Pop and Hiss blog...

"A Coachella spokeswoman declined to comment, and said there was nothing to reveal in regard to 2010 dates or when a lineup may be announced. Coachella promoter Goldenvoice has unveiled some of 2010's lineup for Stagecoach, the country fest that shares the Coachella grounds. Stagecoach is set for April 24-25."

So I would say NO! They don't care what we think.
Whoa there, Mr.Biscuit! We're barely past the 6 month mark since the last Coachella! And honestly, if you haven't figured out that Coachella is the weekend before Stagecoach after all this time, then maybe you haven't been paying attention to the message board?

Remember..."Good things come to those that wait..." Have you ever walked away from that weekend saying, "God, I had a lousy time and never heard anything good, or saw anyone I'd like?"
Now consider this...."You can't please all of the people all of the time," and then compare it to 40,000 people per day. The ratio of those walking away unsatisfied compared to those that make it a yearly event, tells me they're paying attention...

BROKENDOLL
11-08-2009, 12:08 PM
They also gave us Jack Johnson fans, specifically the girl ones. Cute open minded girls are a positive addition to ANY event, music festival, back yard rave, my sahara porto-potty, etc...
Obviously they care more about emtgreg because he even got his own Sahara porta-potty!

emtgreg
11-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Obviously they care more about emtgreg because he even got his own Sahara porta-potty!

I can always tell which one's mine, because it's the clean one!!

Ardentbiscuit
11-08-2009, 12:32 PM
To clarify a few points...

1. I do love Coachella, it is consistently one of the best line ups and best run events ever. Trust me, I've been to so many half ass festivals that seemed like out of work carnies were running them.

2. I do believe Paul is cool and loves music.

3. I do believe they do care what we have to say but not to that great of an extent. I think that Coachella is a labor of love for Paul and either you get or you don't. I don't think in general he is looking for our advice about his baby. I could be wrong but that's the impression I get.

4. I get cranky and sometimes I say thing without prior filtration. Just remember when I write stuff it's not a greater truth about the universal or meant to insult anyone. It's just a flash of thoughts I had at that moment when I wrote the post. It's not meant to cause angst or disrespect to anyone.

5. And yes sometimes I get impatient waiting for Coachella. And it makes me stir crazy.

That is all for now.

rage patton
11-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Dani has said that Paul and the others at Goldenvoice do read this message board.

sleepybrew
11-08-2009, 01:02 PM
they care. a helluva lot. one of the reasons why coachella is still the premeir american festival

gaypalmsprings
11-08-2009, 01:03 PM
GV sent this to me...

http://mattmorgan.typepad.com/we%20care%20button.jpg

emtgreg
11-08-2009, 01:12 PM
they care. a helluva lot. one of the reasons why coachella is still the premier American festival

Truth.

eskamo951
11-08-2009, 01:59 PM
They have to care. Yeah, there was Jack Johnson (Even though I bet some people will never let them forget that mistake), but I don't see The Jonas Brothers or some other huge money maker being brought in. I mean, we had fucking Portishead into Prince. That was really one of the best nights of my life.

Gribbz
11-08-2009, 02:05 PM
They have to care. Yeah, there was Jack Johnson (Even though I bet some people will never let them forget that mistake), but I don't see The Jonas Brothers or some other huge money maker being brought in. I mean, we had fucking Portishead into Prince. That was really one of the best nights of my life.

Exactly. And contrary to popular belief, some people actually really LIKE Jack Johnson. Not me of course... but they are out there.

SoulDischarge
11-08-2009, 03:17 PM
They care? A lot? OMG FAITH NO MORE CONFIRMED

gaypalmsprings
11-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Jonas Brothers for 2010 !

Stickjohn
11-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Isn't the existence of this message board - with no advertisements - proof enough that GV cares?

Radiohead
11-08-2009, 06:32 PM
I think my question has been misunderstood -- I'm asking whether you guys think they pay attention to the message boards, not whether they care about what people who go to Coachella think (which they obviously do, since they need people to want to attend Coachella).

Also, it's a legitimate question; I'm not asking the question to make the statement that I don't think they do care. I'm not sure. is there any specific evidence that they pay attention to the message boards?

Monklish
11-08-2009, 06:33 PM
I can tell you that at least after the lineup is announced some execs at GV including Paul do look at the message board to see our reaction. Won't reveal how I know this as I don't want to incriminate anyone.

superfiction
11-08-2009, 07:35 PM
i look at the message board every day. what more do you need?

eskamo951
11-08-2009, 10:15 PM
I think my question has been misunderstood -- I'm asking whether you guys think they pay attention to the message boards, not whether they care about what people who go to Coachella think (which they obviously do, since they need people to want to attend Coachella).

Also, it's a legitimate question; I'm not asking the question to make the statement that I don't think they do care. I'm not sure. is there any specific evidence that they pay attention to the message boards?

Dani has said that Paul and the others at Goldenvoice do read this message board.

Well, there you have it.

emtgreg
11-08-2009, 10:34 PM
What I don't understand, is how is it that somehow no one on this board registered a "radiohead" alias?

I mean, really? No one here thought to register that name before May of this year?

stinkbutt
11-08-2009, 10:38 PM
I found that kinda funny too

psycobetabuckdown
11-08-2009, 11:20 PM
has anyone taken Daft Punk? The Smiths? Let's get on it, we gotta brand these names.

superfiction
11-09-2009, 12:17 AM
i can see it now. a bunch of headliner alias's arguing over who can and cant headline. lovely.

Kropladop
11-09-2009, 12:18 AM
Paul Tollett interview

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3ib95b33f49d5e464ad21c47ffed02dd08

Question #4 (near the end)

psychic friend
11-09-2009, 11:29 AM
They read the boards almost daily. I even find out about certain stuff on the board by paul telling me about it.

psycobetabuckdown
11-09-2009, 11:34 AM
^very good information, thank you.

I would've guessed, considering this is their official board.

Ardentbiscuit
11-09-2009, 11:51 AM
They read the boards almost daily. I even find out about certain stuff on the board by paul telling me about it.

Glad to hear it! My faith in humanity has been restored!

:)

Cheddar's Cousin
11-09-2009, 12:00 PM

What does he say about me?

SoulDischarge
11-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Maybe Radiohead is his alias and this whole thread is just some kind of meta mind fuckery.

psycobetabuckdown
11-09-2009, 12:09 PM
If he liked Radiohead that much they would've played last year.

humanoid
11-09-2009, 12:34 PM
What does he say about me?

he is more of a Havarti kinda guy, sorry

boarderwoozel3
11-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Without reading the thread as I've said before: This board is pretty much a massive focus group with their target demographic. Of course they care about and pay attention to what we think. No us = no them.

Gribbz
11-09-2009, 12:58 PM
I hear Paul T is a huge King of the Hill fan.

higgybaby23
11-09-2009, 01:54 PM

Gluttons for punishment or morbidly curious?

Monklish
11-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Just in case Paul T is reading this thread, I have an incredibly important message:

BRING BACK THE 2008 SPOTLIGHTS.

Please, dear god. It was the coolest thing I've ever seen anywhere, and it broke my heart that you scaled them back down in 09. Please, please, please, please, please, make those incredible 2008 spotlights a regular fixture at every Coachella from now on.

eskamo951
11-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Just in case Paul T is reading this thread, I have an incredibly important message:

Please, dear god. It was the coolest thing I've ever seen anywhere, and it broke my heart that you scaled them back down in 09. Please, please, please, please, please, make those incredible 2008 spotlights a regular fixture at every Coachella from now on.

Agreed. 2008: The spotlights made a protective cage over the fields. 2009: There was a hole in the "cage" that let some bad karma in. There were also a couple that were less intense in brightness. The whole laying-down-staring-at-the-sky part of the weekend just wasn't the same.

nbvcide
11-09-2009, 04:35 PM

if the execs read everything on this board, they'd cancel Coachella..

nbvcide
11-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Isn't the existence of this message board - with no advertisements - proof enough that GV cares?

or the fact that our beloved festival isn't sponsored by ABC/SoapNet & Toyota Tundra, like certain other GV-fests on the polo grounds..

imagine the Gobi tent turned into an autograph booth where you can meet your fav celebs from General Hospital or All My Children.. but hey, there would be free massage booths too.. and a MOTHER FUCKING HAY-BAIL MAZE OMGOMGOMGOMG.. and a petting farm full of chickens and pigs during the peak of the Swine Flu outbreak..

i'll accept a monopoly on the beer by Heineken if that's what it takes..

nbvcide
11-09-2009, 04:46 PM

if anyone, ever, needed any proof that the Boardie version of Monklish was Randy & not Supre, this post would be it..

i do, however, agree..

nbvcide
11-09-2009, 04:47 PM

damn...

True or False: we should all feel embarrassed & ashamed of the things he's had to read

eskamo951
11-09-2009, 05:08 PM
if the execs read everything on this board, they'd cancel Coachella..

Um...there's a reason we don't post our smuggling techniques for getting booze into camping...

Radiohead
11-09-2009, 09:50 PM
What I don't understand, is how is it that somehow no one on this board registered a "radiohead" alias?

I mean, really? No one here thought to register that name before May of this year?

Seriously. I thought I was gonna have to settle for "Radi0head" or something like that.

superfiction
11-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Seriously. I thought I was gonna have to settle for "Radi0head" or something like that.

you are playing coachella next year, conifrm or deny

GeezrRckr
11-09-2009, 11:00 PM
i think that the JJ booking was probably some sort of package deal or something (or maybe simply that his manager is the scott boras of music). seems like every year there's a "festival whore" and likely this year it will be MUSE. last year it was the Beasties (ironic) and YYYs.

but, Portishead to Prince is still one of my all-time greatest music moments of my life (and lest not forget that i'm the geezer who saw Prince open for the Stones in '81).

sleepybrew
11-09-2009, 11:11 PM
but, Portishead to Prince is still one of my all-time greatest music moments of my life (and lest not forget that i'm the geezer who saw Prince open for the Stones in '81).

don't forget kraftwerk before portishead. arguably the best back to back to back in coachella history

GeezrRckr
11-09-2009, 11:17 PM
don't forget kraftwerk before portishead. arguably the best back to back to back in coachella history

i was at AC during Kraftwerk. kinda hard to miss one of my best friends playing my favorite fest. and, believe me, they were bummed to have missed one of their personal faves (esp Noah).

but, i heard that was a sick set and wished i had seen it.

GeezrRckr
11-09-2009, 11:36 PM
and, if you're listening Paul.....please get (back) any/all of the following: Underworld, The Knife or Fever Ray, Portishead, Talib Kweli, Gorillaz, Panda Bear (he's interested), Ghostland Observatory (on the main stage at night or closing out the Sahara this time), Trans Am, The Who (performing Quadrophenia), Passion Pit, Shaq, Aphex Twin, Elbow.....just this loyal fan's short list.

ps - just kidding about Shaq (duh)

sleepybrew
11-10-2009, 03:11 PM
i was at AC during Kraftwerk. kinda hard to miss one of my best friends playing my favorite fest. and, believe me, they were bummed to have missed one of their personal faves (esp Noah).

but, i heard that was a sick set and wished i had seen it.

ahh. completely understandable. that was one of the most difficult conflicts of all the coachellas i've been to. that saturday night was so stacked. i also really wanted to see sasha and digweed, but couldn't miss portishead.

Mau5 Boyz
11-10-2009, 04:47 PM
They do care just for the fact they booked RHCP, The Killers, Jack Johnson, Steve Aoki, Paul Van Dyke, Tiesto, and many others!!

They love us here on the boards!

patrips
11-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Also for us intl coachella goers ... GV gave us all free tickets to the 2008 festival because we had to wait to in line for three hours to pick up the tickets in 2007. I think they care. That was a very nice gesture.

weezy f baby
11-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Of course they care. That's just an asinine question. This isn't the Warp Tour.

Fools I tell ya. Fools.

nbvcide
11-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Ins & Outs to Campground

Beer allowed outside Beer Gardens

David Bowie

we're waiting..

(wouldn't mind if they stepped up the visuals & effect in the Sahara a bit, they need to push the envelope)

emtgreg
11-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Beer rules are thanks to the City of Indio.

David Bowie? That's not up to GV, Bowie goes where Bowie goes...If he wants to be there, he will be...It is NOT about the $$.

More lasers are always better than Less lasers, duh.

Monklish
11-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm in the camp of being glad about the beer cages. But ins and outs to the campground really is something that seems like it ought to be doable. It's a bit harder to keep up the argument about why they can't do it when they throw a fest one week later that has full in and out privileges.

JustSteve
11-12-2009, 08:38 PM
they probably wouldn't sell as many tickets if they didn't let the country folk in and out, they have different expectations.

Monklish
11-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Not really much of a justification, Steve. Just because we've been taught we have to put up with it doesn't mean that we shouldn't be granted the same rights as a bunch of hicks.

This is going to turn into a gay marriage debate at this pace.

emtgreg
11-12-2009, 08:46 PM
All I really think would be awesome is the ability to RV Camp...Say at the same field as The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway campground from Phish...

Monklish
11-12-2009, 09:04 PM
... right... cause we all know what the fuck that means.

emtgreg
11-12-2009, 09:06 PM
its not an area open at coachella, so its hard to describe...its an open field just north of the campgrounds...

JustSteve
11-13-2009, 09:01 AM
I asked for a band for '10 and just found out they booked 'em! Now, they would have booked them even without my brilliant suggestion, but...

It's just like the Windows 7 commercials.

malcolmjamalawesome
11-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Ask me if they care when you see me totally losing my shit in the Sahara.

GeezrRckr
11-13-2009, 09:22 AM
I asked for a band for '10 and just found out they booked 'em! Now, they would have booked them even without my brilliant suggestion, but...

It's just like the Windows 7 commercials.

nice. which? source?

weezy f baby
11-17-2009, 11:01 PM
nobody at goldenvoice cares. That's why they pay for this messageboard. For lack of careness.

Suffacated
11-17-2009, 11:02 PM
And it keeps some of them employed.

weezy f baby
11-17-2009, 11:09 PM
that too. employment. caring? fuggedaboutit!

GeezrRckr
11-29-2009, 10:39 AM
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/9186/tillyscoachella.jpg

so, do you think GV might have been interested in the spike in contest entries that you know happened immediately after this was first posted to the board (in the dates thread)?!

hmmmm

Ardentbiscuit
11-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Since Tilly's is running the contest I'm sure they wouldn't even know if there was a spike in entries.

blackchango
11-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Is it just me or is something missing off this thread

seandigi
11-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Beer outside of the beer gardens would be a good idea. They should just wristband everyone who is 21 +, this way you dont have to watch the acts from a distance when you are trying to enjoy a cold alcoholic beverage.

superfiction
11-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Beer outside of the beer gardens would be a good idea. They should just wristband everyone who is 21 +, this way you dont have to watch the acts from a distance when you are trying to enjoy a cold alcoholic beverage.

uh they already do

seandigi
11-29-2009, 03:09 PM
I see. I don't remember getting one in '07, but I am sure I did.

frazzles
11-29-2009, 03:17 PM

What don't you people understand about the whole liability thing? Jesus Christ, it's not that fucking hard.

GeezrRckr
11-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Since Tilly's is running the contest I'm sure they wouldn't even know if there was a spike in entries.

yes, but it's a co-marketing deal. marketing from tilly's sends an email to marketing from GV on the numbers. easy to measure and metrics like that are a marketer's wet dream.

psychic friend
11-29-2009, 04:48 PM
we are 100% not involved with that tilly's thing so stop talking like you think you know what you are talking about.

superfiction
11-29-2009, 05:50 PM
oooo you just got psychic slapped