PDA

View Full Version : The Official Bonnaroo 2010 Coachella Board thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16]

liquidsnake28
06-18-2010, 04:01 PM
If I ever went again I would definitely do that. However you never had to worry about getting caught un-smuggling drugs in Centeroo before this year.

Mr. Dylanja
06-18-2010, 04:25 PM
I got caught unsmuggling beers in 07 the very same way everybody else got caught this year. Maybe it's the terrible unroo like crowd to blame.

malcolmjamalawesome
06-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Hey liquidsnake, how are your meetings with the lawyers going OMGLULZ

Professor Null
06-23-2010, 06:13 PM
I was lucky enough to get to go to both Coachella and Bonnaroo this year. Bonnaroo was easily the more taxing of two mainly because of the heat and humidity in TN.

I really enjoyed being able to walk around the grounds with a beer without being restricted to a beer garden. It was also nice that they had a much wider variety of beers available.

It's probably just me but the druqs seemed to flow much more freely at Bonnaroo. I saw so many people openly torching up all over Centeroo and there was never a security person in site. I never got a thorough search when entering. The people camping near us were never around during the day and their area became grand central for the dealers.

From what I heard from others there also seemed to be a lot more thefts at Bonnaroo. Maybe this is just natural when you have almost all 80k people camping together. I personally had one camping chair stolen and several tents in our region got cut/robbed.

The bathrooms at Bonnaroo were a wicked mess. They were very spread out and not maintained well at all compared to Coachella. It was absolutely mandatory to bring your own toilet paper and hand sanitizer.

I really liked the wide variety of vendors they had both in Centeroo and along the main roads. Superfly/AC definitely embrace their surrounding community and it showed.

And if you thought Tiesto's music bleed was bad this year at Coachella, Bonnaroo one upped that with their Lunar Stage. It was a dj stage set between two regular stages and the volume was cranked so high that it blew those stages away.

I definitely give the overall lineup to Coachella this year. The headliners at Bonnaroo didn't appeal to me. I did enjoy their Sonic Stage and Troo Lounge which gave the ability to experience bands in a much smaller/intimate environment.

The best part of all this was during one show at Bonnaroo I accidentally stumbled into someone I had camped right next to at Coachella just a few months ago. It was surreal and amazing - we managed to hang out for a few nights and enjoy things.

Always good times keep truckin' everyone. :thu

softbulletin
06-23-2010, 06:21 PM
I really didn't experience the sound bleed at all, but I was always inside the tents.

I'm guessing they'll fix that for next year along with the bathrooms. They got a new bathroom contractor this year and they were much dirtier then 08, and especially 09, where they were a lot cleaner.

GuyInTucson
06-28-2010, 02:19 PM
During the Gorillaz there was a guy doing sign language and he was making me laugh because he was trying to acting like snoop dog (leaning back,giving gangster looks, just being silly ) while doing the hand signals.

LMMFAO!

I stood next to that guy before and during the entire Jay-Z set. He was doing the same thing then too.

They were playing Forever by Drake before Jay came on stage and he was doing that same shit.

faxman75
06-29-2010, 08:02 AM
It's probably just me but the druqs seemed to flow much more freely at Bonnaroo.

I've never heard this before....at Bonnaroo of all places. Who knew.

faxman75
06-29-2010, 08:03 AM
I wonder how long we are supposed to wait for Micah to give us his review.

sin213
06-29-2010, 08:40 AM
i'm startin to think he didn't go, since he doesn't have pics...

Alligator Bogaloo
06-29-2010, 09:41 AM
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm still trying to finish the write up. I hope to finish it in the next few days... Pics will be included.

apostle2
06-29-2010, 10:57 AM
bonnaroo.com updated to say "June 2011 - 10th ANNIVERSARY". I'm guessing this acknowledgment will either lead to one of their best line-ups, or massive disappointment...haha

Mr. Dylanja
06-29-2010, 11:02 AM
It's so brutal, I mean it's a great time regardless but from strictly a music standpoint it's almost like you have to wait for set times with this fest. I thought last years line up blew this ones away but I probably would saw more I was interested in this year. Late night at that.

apostle2
06-29-2010, 11:53 AM
yeah, you basically have to acknowledge that either way you're going to have fun and just go with it, or go to something else...haha. I'm thinking from now on I might do two festivals, bonnaroo as my "home" fest and then pick out whichever festival has actually the best line up for me that year. I'm glad I missed this year though with that heat.

liquidsnake28
06-29-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm thinking from now on I might do two festivals, bonnaroo as my "home" fest and then pick out whichever festival has actually the best line up for me that year.

That's what I used to always do. Well actually I usually went to more than two a year but roo was always my "home fest."

Bonnaroo 10th Anniversary Extravaganza headliners:

The Eagles, Black Eyed Peas, The Allman Brothers, Usher, John Mayer.

Something like that would not surprise me at all.

Mr. Dylanja
06-29-2010, 12:23 PM
^ :nono

You'll be back next year, hippie. You weren't going this year either, remember?

faxman75
06-29-2010, 12:28 PM
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm still trying to finish the write up. I hope to finish it in the next few days... Pics will be included.

MLA format, double space, with at least 4 works cited sources. If using pics please supplement with a powerpoint presentation.

apostle2
06-29-2010, 12:45 PM
That's what I used to always do. Well actually I usually went to more than two a year but roo was always my "home fest."

Bonnaroo 10th Anniversary Extravaganza headliners:

The Eagles, Black Eyed Peas, The Allman Brothers, Usher, John Mayer.

Something like that would not surprise me at all.

I don't think it will ever get worse than this year (for me) honestly. They zeroed in on a bunch of genres I don't give a shit about (metal, soul, etc.) I don't care if they have one or two "popular" acts, I just want something I want to see every hour or two...

liquidsnake28
06-29-2010, 04:19 PM
^ :nono

You'll be back next year, hippie. You weren't going this year either, remember?

I ripped hard on the lineup when it came out for sure, who didn't? Yet I was still considering going though because of how much fun I use to have at that festival every year. Also the solid adds certainly helped. Last year (and every other year I went) was way more fun than this year for many reasons other than the heat.

The lineup would have to be something ridiculous for me to go back next. I'm probably taking a trip to europe next summer and hitting a few fesivals there so I probably wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.

It will just be a another standard roo lineup, like how the 40th Glasto lineup is. Paul T admitted that he wasn't even trying to do anything special for Coachella 10.

Salah said it breaks his heart and it does mine too considering how many great memories I have from that festival. I try to be optimisic about it because there really are tons of other great festivals out there to discover. Hell, Demf was only $45 for all three days and it was one of the most fun festivals I've ever been to. That Big Ears festival in Knoxville was great I can't wait for Pitchfork and ATP because I only hear good things them.

I didn't go this year, but I heard about all the new annoying tweeny plurfucks that invaded Coachella this year. I felt exactly the same about the influx of fatrboy douchebags and rednecks running rampant at roo. The magic is gone.

The lineup would have to be the best one yet for me to consider it. If it's not, I'll bet you the price of a ticket that I won't go.

StegoDee
06-29-2010, 11:40 PM
It's taken me a while to collect my thoughts in regards to Bonnaroo 2010. I'd like to say I had an incredible time, but I'm going to be honest. Bonnaroo 2010 wasn't just a big letdown compared to my first venture to the farm last year - it was, sadly, the least amount of fun I've had at any festival I've attended thus far. That's not to say good times weren't had, but unless the line-up is pretty superb next year, I don't think I'll be returning.

The heat was abysmal, and I've spent the past seven years living in Southern Georgia. The friendly atmosphere I encountered amongst the crowds last year had all but dissipated this time around. With acts like DMB and KoL topping off the line-up, I anticipated that a good deal of the crowd wouldn't be present first and foremost for music, but damn...douche-bags and gutter hippies galore. Even a lot of the vendors were sleazy. One tried to rip me off TWICE while I was tripping, and another ignored my friends and I because he'd rather negotiate with dumb, drunk bitches about seeing their tits in exchange for free burritos. And also,

Oh and another thing, the port-o-potties were absolutely fucking disgusting. They never cleaned them out once. By Sunday you could smell them outside from far, far away. It was like a horror movie but with shit instead of blood. Fucking awful.

THIS. We were in one of the campsites furthest from Centeroo and our camp had only ten portapotties that were only cleaned once a day, if at all. The smell was so revolting, I made it all the way to the front of the line and had to give my spot up, because I thought I would puke if I actually stepped inside.

I could go on, but meh. Just very dissapointing. Here's hoping AC/Superfly can bring the magic back next year.

softbulletin
06-29-2010, 11:44 PM
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs639.snc3/32057_433468181310_608026310_6290808_4891127_n.jpg

I was disappointed they were showing this all weekend on the what.

StegoDee
06-30-2010, 12:02 AM
^ Mhmm. The majority of Bonnaroo's crowd this year definitely wasn't a group of people I'd be encouraging to return in 2011, especially if the organizers are hoping for it to be something "special". At least they played Tycho over the speakers in between sets. That was nice.

darkjustice
06-30-2010, 12:06 AM
the first bonnaroo was great

liquidsnake28
06-30-2010, 12:11 AM
It's taken me a while to collect my thoughts in regards to Bonnaroo 2010. I'd like to say I had an incredible time, but I'm going to be honest. Bonnaroo 2010 wasn't just a big letdown compared to my first venture to the farm last year - it was, sadly, the least amount of fun I've had at any festival I've attended thus far. That's not to say good times weren't had, but unless the line-up is pretty superb next year, I don't think I'll be returning.

The heat was abysmal, and I've spent the past seven years living in Southern Georgia. The friendly atmosphere I encountered amongst the crowds last year had all but dissipated this time around. With acts like DMB and KoL topping off the line-up, I anticipated that a good deal of the crowd wouldn't be present first and foremost for music, but damn...douche-bags and gutter hippies galore. Even a lot of the vendors were sleazy. One tried to rip me off TWICE while I was tripping, and another ignored my friends and I because he'd rather negotiate with dumb, drunk bitches about seeing their tits in exchange for free burritos. And also,

THIS. We were in one of the campsites furthest from Centeroo and our camp had only ten portapotties that were only cleaned once a day, if at all. The smell was so revolting, I made it all the way to the front of the line and had to give my spot up, because I thought I would puke if I actually stepped inside.

I could go on, but meh. Just very dissapointing. Here's hoping AC/Superfly can bring the magic back next year.

Thank you good sir for being objective about all of this. I let my emotions get in the way about dude dying and said some dumb stuff but this bonnaroo was ... just ... so ... bad, everything about it. I'm done.

Alligator Bogaloo
06-30-2010, 01:17 AM
Dispatches from Bonnaroo 2010
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday, June 9th, 2010

Phoenix airport waiting to board an airplane for Bonnaroo 2010

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1908

I flew into Nashville the night before Bonnaroo because I thought it would be best to get on one of the earliest shuttles to Bonnaroo Thursday morning. This way it would be easier to set up camp once I got there and not miss any of the bands playing Thursday night. I flew from Phoenix to Nashville. A 3 1/2 hour flight. Slept and listened to my ipod the whole way. I arrrived in Nashville around 2pm.

I rented a room at the Motel 6 near the airport and was happy to see some other people at the motel getting ready for the festival. It did rain some and also rained in Manchester that day. The storm swept in quick, rained for less than an hour and then was gone. I wasn't sure if it would be raining during the weekend but I tried to come prepared with a rain jacket, boots, umbrella, and extra clothes just in case. During the night I just hung out at the motel, watching the final Stanley Cup game, the Weather channel, and ESPN Classic that showed old World Cup matches. I also brought a small radio with me and got to listen to NPR Nashville.

Thursday, June 10th, 2010

This was my first year at Bonnaroo and I was taking the shuttle service to and from the festival. I had researched thoroughly and people on inforoo.com that had taken the shuttle in the past said it had worked really well. I was hoping for the same this year. I left the motel in the morning and got back to the airport around 8 am so I could be on the first shuttle to the festival that was said to leave the airport at 9 am. I was able to find the shuttle table in baggage claim and got my Bonnaroo wristband, the paperwork said i was supposed to get my Bonnaroo guide booklet but they the people working the desk weren't given any. I figured that I would be able to get one at the festival info desk and was glad I had made my own Bonnaroo travel guide with maps and schedules just for this reason.

They directed me outside where shuttles were taking people to the festival. I was happy to see that a few shuttles had already started taking people early so it was easy to get in line and get on the next shuttle.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1909

It was a quiet ride and I eagarly watched the sites on the freeway on the way south to Manchester. It was weird seeing signs for a confederate museum. Only in the south... the ride was about an hour long and we past the line of cars coming north and south into the festival. I was interested to see many gaps in the line of cars each way. This didn't make a lot of sense and figured if I ever drive to Bonnaroo I would just drive in the right lane past most of the line and move into one of these gaps to get into the festival quicker. Makes more sense than waiting in a line for hours and hours because the wait was due to people not moving forward in a timely manner. Plus, i hate waiting in line.

It was nice that the shuttle was able to bypass the festival line and we came in from the south side of the festival up Grosch Rd. It dropped us off right where it said it would at the corner of south 1st Ave & Woodland Ave., right next to the vip camping area. Because it had rained the night before there was some mud but it wasn't as bad as past years that i had read about. I had to shlep my stuff to the camp only section and the walk was probably 15 to 20 minutes. I thought there would have been a lot less people when I got there that morning but it looked pretty busy and it was starting to fill up by the time I got there to camp only. There was a fair amount of tents up in the tent only section by the time i got there but there were a lot of gaps so i posted up in Camp Adrian! As I was setting up I met a guy named Sergio who came from Costa Rica! I let him borrow my mallet to put in tent stakes. He also flew into Nashville the day before and even stayed at the same Motel 6 I did. He must have been on the same shuttle I was on or one of the ones right before me. I got everything set up and headed over to the main arch entrance to be one of the first people in at noon. I was also able to find an info tent at the pod(community center) so that worked out. I liked that the book had a pull out map, a lot of info on all the different events, and even had a page showing some of the merch! Very cool. Plus the booklet said they'd have a special Black Keys poster. I was so thrilled and knew it would be the first thing to buy once i got into Centeroo.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1833

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1835

The arch. They said on the website that the festival opened at noon. There were a fair amount of people waiting to get in. I actually walked up and was standing right under the arch watching security and waiting to get in. A supervisor came over and told us they were still getting ready and it would be an extra half hour. But if you're VIP you got go in early. Boo! Hiss!

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1910

Some people behind us said someone fainted so security came out and got the person to a cart to be taken to the medical tent. A few minutes later another person fainted and also had to be taken out of the crowd. It didn't seem too hot and the humidity didn't feel very bad but I'm sure I was just ignoring it because I was so excited about my first day at Bonnaroo. At 12:30 pm, the supervisor comes back and says it will be another hour before they can open the gate. I said fuck that and left the arch to go walk around the pod area to check out the vendors and scenery. I came back an hour later and they started letting people in. I went into Centeroo and went straight to the merchandise tent.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1842

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1843

There it is, my beautiful Black Keys Bonnaroo poster!

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1821

Dylan sent me a text about the poster just after I had actually bought the poster. Get out of my head! Ha! Good lookin' out D$! When I purchased the poster I asked for rubber bands so I could take it back to my tent later to be put into a tube I brought with me just for this exact scenario. They said they had free poster tubes at the end of the table. Really? Thank you.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1841

Noticed that next to the merchandise tent they had a t-shirt printing machine on a rig. Pretty sweet. During the weekend they would run out of some of the shirts and then just print another run right there. Very cool indeed. After I was done at the merchandise tent I decided to recon the rest of Centeroo to get a lay of the land since i've never been there.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1837

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1838

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1851

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1857

I loved how open and spread out everything was compared to Coachella, especially since Coachella was way too packed for its own good because it had sold out this year. One of the best parts of Bonnaroo are all the giant Oak trees that are littered around the festival grounds. Nothing like getting some nice shade under one of the trees to rest, eat, smoke a joint, or listen to the music coming from one of the stages. The trees were awesome. No trees to sit under at Coachella.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1848

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1844

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1849

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1856

I had read about the Bonnaroo post office before coming and had to send Amy and Ivy a couple of postcards while I was here.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1839

Unfortunatly, they did have the postcards on Thursday and I had to come back on Friday to get them. I hadn't been to the Cinema tent yet so I decided to check it out. Lost Boys! The air conditioning was great and was a nice reprive from the heat outside. It was nice sitting right in front of one of the ports pumping in the cool air.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1911

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1852

And then I finally got to see some bands. I first saw, Fanfarlo, at The Other Tent. Next was Baroness, also at The Other Tent, I didn't get to see them at Coachella so I wanted to check them out at Bonnaroo. Behind the tent there was a crowd around a small kid that was rocking out to the band. People were dancing and taking pics of him. He was the life of the party.

Baroness Setlist:
Bullhead's Psalm
The Sweetest Curse
Jake Leg
Isak
The Birthing
Ogeechee Hymnal
A Horse Called Golgotha
War, Wisdom and Rhyme
Swollen and Halo
The Gnashing
Grad

I had problems with my celphone on Thursday but the rest of the weekend it worked pretty good. If i can remember correctly, I got texts from Mr. Dylanja, Sin213, Faxman47, Mount McCabe, Chairmenmeow47, & I.F.A. It was nice because throughout the weekend I did get a little homesick and lonely since I went by myself. There was some mud on Thursday because of the rain from Wednesday but it wasn't too bad by Friday and the rest of the weekend, it was fine. It was good to get some rain before we got there because there was little to no dust for the whole weekend. Yay!

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1858

Its dinner time. something cheap and easy. Pizza! After dinner I went and check out Miike Snow at This Tent. I noticed that in each of the tents that the sand was laid out this year and seemed to work well for each tent. After that I watched most of the NBA Finals Game 4 at Lunar Stage. A lot of people were rooting for Celtics and A-Team trailers seemed to run at every commercial break. Still, it was fun to watch a little t.v. with thousands of people on a big screen on the farm. Celtics win. Time to check out The XX.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1864

The XX were at That Tent and it was a killer way to end the first night of Bonnaroo.

The XX Setlist:
Intro
Crystalised
Islands
Heart Skipped a Beat
Fantasy
Shelter
VCR
Do You Mind
Basic Space
Night Time
Infinity
Stars

If you'd like to hear the set click below. NPR kicks so much ass!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127089625

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1863

After that I was ready to sleep and headed back to my campsite which was a 5 minute walk from the arch. Sweet! But first I had to stop and get me a $1 garlic grilled cheese. I can't remember how many of these I ate thoughout the weekend but it was at least a few each day. I forgot to put on sunscreen the first day so I got a little too much sun and I got a little grass rash on my ankles but it didn't itch and was gone shortly after I got home. I could hear Afrojack from the Lunar stage but after a little while I passed out. I was glad I brought my mini O2 fan, it help to have a little cool air in my tent as I went to sleep.

Friday, June 11th, 2010

One of the best things i saw everyday, everywhere were southern girls sitting in small groups on their blankets smoking weed from big ass glass pipes. Everyday, everywhere. That must be what heaven is like...

It's 8 am I'm awake by the heat and humidity. Flashbacks to camping at Coachella '07! I get up and make my way through Centeroo to go to the Cinema tent for some morning air conditioning. Got there in time to see most of Bakshi's "Exit through the Gift shop". A nice way to start day 2 of Bonnaroo. After the documentary was over it was off to the Lunar Stage for some morning World Cup. South Africa vs. Mexico. One of the best parts of the festival was being able to watch soccer matches each morning. It made the day go by quicker and it wasn't too hot in the mornings. Final score, 1-1, draw. Plus, this only happens once every four years. I considered myself lucky.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1865

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1866

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1867

Friday was bluegrass day and there was a radio station from TN broadcasting from the That Tent all day and they had a sweet bluegrass line up for That Tent that day.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1868

First up were the Punch Brothers and they put on a lively, fun show. They even played a Strokes cover, White Stripes cover, and a Radiohead cover. All bluegrass style. It was great. An early highlight of the festival for sure.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1870

If you'd like to hear the set click below:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127481502

Since I wasn't able to get postcards on Thursday I headed back to the post office to see if they had them in stock before returning to That Tent for the Carolina Chocolate Drops. Yay! They had postcards! I filled them out, mailed them out, and I was off to see some more bluegrass.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1854

Next was the Carolina Chocolate Drops back at That Tent. They hand slapped, blew on the jug, play those finger snap things, washboard, banjo, guitar, and the girl even danced a jig that brought the house down. And to top it off they played a great cover of Johnny Cash's "Jackson". Another great set. They play some material off their debut album and some old timey songs too. I loved their version of "You'se a Viper Man".

From there I went and saw Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros at the Other Tent, the tent was overflowing so I grabbed some shade under a tree and heard a set quite similar to the one at Coachella. Ed even used the same line about not knowing what to do next and said how often does a band do that.

Later I went over to the This Tent early to chill and wait for She & Him. I heard most of the Gossip set was pleasantly surprised, they had the crowd going and played some fun 80's covers throughout their set.

The Gossip set list:
Yr Mangled Heart
Pop Goes The World
8th Wonder
Eyes Open
Four Letter Word
Listen Up!
Dimestore Diamond
Love Long Distance
Men In Love
Don't (Make Waves)
Standing In The Way Of Control
What's Love Got To Do With It
Heavy Cross

If you'd like to her the set, click below:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127120929

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1871

She & Him came on next and I had really loved their show at Coachella and had to see them again. M. Ward and Zooey played their hearts out and the band sounded killer. Plus, I love the covers they play at the end of the set, "Roll Over Beethoven" and "I Put A Spell On You".

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1872

She & Him set list:
Thieves
Black Hole
Lingering Still
Sentimental Heart
Home
Change Is Hard
I Thought I Saw Your Face Again
Magic Trick
Gonna Get Along Without You Now
In The Sun
Don't Look Back
Over It Over Again
This Is Not A Test
Ridin' In My Car
Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?
Roll Over Beethoven
I Put A Spell On You

If you'd like to hear the set, click below:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127479861

After She & Him, I headed back to my pod because $1 garlic grill cheese was calling my name. Little did I know that if you buy more that one, there is a tax of $1. Umm okay? So my two grilled cheese cost three bones. It was still worth it. I munched and headed off to the What Stage for the first time of the weekend to pay my respects to the might Tenacious D.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1873

I had seen them years ago on their first tour it was a fun show and now here they were commanding the main stage. I left early because I didn't want to miss the end of the bluegrass day with Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers.

Tenacious D Setlist:
One Hit
Rise of the Phoenix
Kielbasa
Kickapoo
Kyle Quit the Band
Dude (I Totally Miss You)
Friendship
Roadie
The Road
The Metal
Dio
Saxoboom Solo
Wonderboy
quack Her Gently
Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown)
Tribute
Pinball Wizard / There's a Doctor / Listening to You
Fuck the Nation / Do

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1875

It was now time to end the bluegrass day with Steve Martin and Steep Canyon Rangers in That Tent. Awesome set, good jokes, and Mr. Martin can play a mean banjo. He had a great one about how he used his iPad as a setlist. He said it was the worlds most expensive set list. Funny funny guy. They encored with "Orange Blossom Special" and did a second encore with KING TUT! Yes! KING TUT! Bluegrass style. I decided to see a little bit of the first headliner Kings Of Leon before getting ready for one of the best one, two punch late night sets evar!

Kings Of Leon were the first night headliners on the What stage, So KOL aren't the worst bad and they aren't the best. I saw them last year and had a good time. I saw the first few songs but was itching for my highlight of the whole weekend, The Black Keys. So after a few songs I made my back to the That Tent.

Here comes the Black Keys! Bluegrass day might be over in That Tent but at midnight the Keys put on one of the best shows I've ever seen by any band. A nice group was already sitting in front of the stage waiting patiently when I got there around 10 pm. So I smoked another joint and waited with eager anticipation.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1878

Midnight. The first 30 to 40 minutes was just Dan and Pat but i knew they'd bring out the bass player and keyboardist later because their instuments were onstage ready to go. Then comes out the unnamed musicians and we got 7 songs from Brothers in a row. Just incredible, the new stuff sounded perfect. Once I got home I knew I had to see them again in San Diego in September. We got 30 to 40 mins of new stuff and then it was just Pat and Dan again for the last dirty 30. Killer set. My favorite set of the weekend. Everytime I walk by my Keys Bonnaroo poster I smile. I can't wait to see them again in San Diego.

Black Keys setlist:
Thickfreakness
Girl Is on My Mind
10 A.M. Automatic
The Breaks
Stack Shot Billy
Busted
Everywhere I Go
Strange Times
Same Old Thing
Tighten Up
Next Girl
Too Afraid To Love You
Howlin' for You
Sinister Kid
She's Long Gone
Ten Cent Pistol
Your Touch
I'll Be Your Man
No Trust
I Got Mine
Everlasting Light
Till I Get My Way

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1882

But Friday late night isn't done yet. I got to keep it going for LCD Soundsystem. I found a small ice cream stand before heading over and got a oreo cookie blizzard, no joke. Too bad the same ice cream stand didn't have blizzards for the rest of the weekend. Boo! Hiss! I got to LCD early and Bassnectar was finishing up. I went in and got a nice spot in front of the soundboard because it's become my go to spot for most shows at festivals or regular shows. I like it because I hear what the sound guy is hearing and from there I have some room behind me so i don't feel like I'm in a total sweat box, just 3/4ths of a sweat box.

LCD Soundsystem, That Tent, 2:30 am, Let's do this! I knew the set would be a little shorter than the regular show but they still put on a great set and I danced my ass off. I'm glad I took a half of one of those 5 hour energy drinks. James was funny in expressing disdane and confusion at seeing glow sticks being thrown around in the crowd.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1884

LCD Soundsystem Setlist:
Us V Them
Drunk Girls
Pow Pow
Daft Punk is Playing At My House
All My Friends
I Can Change
Tribulations
Movement
Yeah (Crass Version)
Losing My Edge
New York I Love You/Empire State of Mind

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127088750

So, I survived my first Bonnaroo late night. Time to sleep. Another 5 minute walk to the campsite. I love camp only.... I was asleep within minutes of laying down. I didn't even hear the djs playing till 6am.

Saturday, June 12th, 2010

8am, awoken again by heat and humidity.... again. Up out of the tent and back in the Cinema tent for wtf. The Decemberists art movie. Kinda lame. Stayed maybe ten minutes and it was back to Lunar stage for a 9 am match of Agentina vs. Nigeria. So at this point i haven't taken a shit since Thursday morning at the motel. At first, I checked the various portajohns in the area. They were all pretty disgusting and wasn't sure how I was going to pull this off. I keep walking around Centeroo looking for the one clean portajohn. Yay! I found it in the first aid tent. Thank the maker. After that I was good to go and back to the Lunar Stage for more World Cup action!

By this time i'm having an epic battle with the humidity, each day I drank a few bottle waters, only $2.50 each, ice cold from the beer booths all throughout the festival. I didn't bother with the free water because it would take too long and I wanted ice cold water. I had probably three fruit smoothies each day. I believe this was the key for me to see as many bands as I did, run the marathon as I did, and not pass out or die. Fruit smoothies and joints. Key ingredients for an enjoyable festival experience. I didn't have a beer all weekend. No thank you. I'm not sure what the exact temperature was with the humidity each day but it was really fuckin hot. I made sure to stay in shade as much as possible each day. That was another reason I did pretty well and made it through the weekend in one piece.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1885

Rebelution at Which stage. meh... I wish it was 2004 and I'm watching My Morning Jacket's epic rain set on the Which Stage. Next year. MMJ. Next year. I stuck around for some African music from Baaba Maal, much better that the previous band. Those Africans can play.

If you'd like to listen to the set, click below:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127481259

Now it's time to get to one of the bands i've eagerly been waiting for all weekend. Dave Rawlings Machine at That Tent. I got there early and was in the second row of people. Loved that the band was Gillian Welch and three of the guys from Old Crow Medicine show. My bluegrass cup is overflowing at this point! They played a lot of stuff from his debut album. They even played some covers including Bob Dylan's "Queen Jane" and closed with The Bands "The Weight", of course. One of the best shows of the weekend right under the Black Keys. It's too bad they didn't sell any Dave Rawlings Machine shirts at the merchandise tent or else I would have been wearing one on Monday on the airplane ride home. I need to order one online. Stat! I did hear hear through the grapevine later that after Mumford and Sons played their set that Dave and Co. came on stage and both bands played "Wagon Wheel". I wish I was there there to see it but I was already on to the Avett Brothers at the Which Stage.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1886

Dave Rawlings Machine Setlist:
Hot Cold, Cold Corn
I Hear Them All/This Land Is Your Land
Ruby
I'm On My Way Back To The Old Home
Sweet Tooth
See See Rider
It's To Easy
Look At Miss Ohio
Method Acting
Queen Jane
To Be Young
The Weight

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1890

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1888

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127751523

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1893

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1892

I saw a little bit of the Avett Brothers and then I was back at the What stage for The Dead Weather. The only time it rained for less than an hour before the Dead Weather and during the first part of the set. This was my third time seeing them and they always put on a great show. Jack White and Co killed the main stage. He made a great joke about letting everyone know what band brought the rain. Jack definitely brought the rain down. Fact.

The Dead Weather Setlist:
Forever My Queen
60 Feet Tall
Hang You From The Heavens
You Just Can't Win
So Far From Your Weapon
I Cut Like A Buffalo
No Horse
A Child Of A Few Hours Is Burning To Death
The Difference Between Us
I'm Mad
Hustle and Cuss
Die By The Drop
New Pony
Will There Be Enough Water
Blue Blood Blues
I Can't Hear You
Treat Me Like Your Mother

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127559754

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1894

I got some chicken dumplings with soy sauce from the only vendor that was selling them at the festival and sat dow to wait for Little Stevie. Woohoo!

8:30 pm - Stevie Wonder - What stage. The motherfucker comes out rocking out on a keytar! Just awesome. The guy had an incredible band and play a ton of classic songs. My headliner for saturday night.

Stevie Wonder setlist:
Keytar Funk solo > Jam > Master Blaster
As If You Read My Mind
Uptight
For Once in My Life
Higher Ground
Don't You Worry Bout a Thing
Knocks Me Off My Feet
Give Up the Funk > Vocoder jam > Heard it through the grapevine > Sing a Simple Song Groove
Signed Sealed Delivered
Sir Duke > I Wish
Living for the City
Give Peace a Chance
My Cherie Amour
Do I Do
Superstition
A Time to Love > percussion jam
Another Star

After the set I was too tired to stick around for Hova. I know D$, i know... but after seeing so many bands each day. Having to be up at 8am each day. I made the 5 minute crawl back to my tent and was crashed out by Jay Z's second song. I didn't wake up until...

Sunday, June 13th, 2010

7:30 am - up, lunar stage, world cup algeria vs slovenia. wtf! I miss my home, Amy, my family, my dogs, air conditioning, dry FUCKING heat! But i'm still having a great time, and smoking a joint at 7:30 in the morning makes a sad panda a happy panda. Sergio was even there and we watched part of the match together. Good people. I also noticed the overall feel of the festval was like camp. Camp Bonnaroo. They even had a cool camp Bonnaroo shirt, which I have on order.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1896

9:00 am another world cup match, the black stars vs. the white eagles... God damn the humidity is going to kill me on the last day. I swear it was hotter on Sunday than any other day before. I made the mistake of not wearing my hat for a little while in the afternoon and got a little sunburn. I will survive and I'm sure as hell going to make it through the final day of Bonnaroo.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1895

Tinariwen - Which Stage - hadn't been able to hear them before and was digging them but the humidity was raping me. I heard good things about the Japandroids and they were in a tent so off i went to see a two piece from Vancouver, Canada, eh.

12:30 pm - Japandroids - This Tent - got to talk to a Roo worker and talked about the rain on Wednesday. I'm glad there was little to no rain during the fest but I wonder what it was like in past years like 2004 where it rained buckets throughout the weekend. I figured it would have been a little cooler. Shade is nice in the tent, but the body heat of everyone and the humidity was almost as bad as being out in the sun. Almost. Japandroids rocked and the drummer looked like he was going to die by the end of the set because of the heat. Looking forward to seeing them again at the Clubhouse on 9/17.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1898

If you'd like to listen to the set, click below:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127109903

Okay, its the last day, I need to buy something nice for Amy before I forget. Cool... sunflower purse. A cooler They Might Be Giants t-shirt. Shopping done. Hope she likes the gifts, at this point i'm sunburn and not thinking clearly I need to get back to the shade and recoup for They Might Be muthafuckin' Giants. Another band i've been waiting for patiently that i've yet to see live.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1901

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1899

4:30 pm - T.M.B.G. - Other Tent. man what a fun show. classic songs, new songs... confeite , sock puppets!!! all win. stuck around for some Medeski Martin & Wood and then back to the Which Stage for Phoenix!

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1902

7:15 pm - Phoenix - Which Stage. These guys do not put on a bad show. Saw them in Feb in Tempe, April at Coachella, and now at Bonnaroo. The set never gets old, and the crowd was really into it.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1906

9:00 pm- DMB - What stage. Hi Dave M. Bye Dave M. Saw part of the first song and I was done. Back to the Lunar Stage for some NBA finals game 5 to conclude the weekend.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1903

I also walked through the cinema tent one last time and enjoyed a little nazi scalping.... went to bed.

Monday, June 14th, 2010

7:30 awoken by heat and humidity, pack my shit, made the death march back to the shuttle stop. Sergio and i made a pact to get each other up and back to the shuttle and airport. no problems. nice ac in bus. back to the airport by like 10 or 11 and had hours to sit in the bar, eat, drink, watch more world cup, chit chat with people, the bartender lady had gone to roo too, vip style, jealous... got on on the plane and was back in PHX at 6:55pm. i did it. i made it. all by myself. i am a machine. i loved it. i hated the humidity but loved the whole weekend. now i have a year to recoup to be ready for my second roo in 2011. now where is that fuckin joint and my black keys brothers album. turn it up!

A final special shout out to Brandon for his awesome Roo write up last year. It was the template for mine. And it gave me a good idea of what to expect at my first roo. Thank you.

http://coachella.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1824

Mr. Dylanja
06-30-2010, 01:18 AM
TL;DR

xoxo

Mr. Dylanja
06-30-2010, 01:37 AM
jk jk

Awesome review! I'm glad you enjoyed it and jealous you did witness the best back2back late night sets evar!

And it's funny because I saw all of Jay-Z so no worries.

faxman75
06-30-2010, 09:21 AM
Awesome write up Micah! Sorry you missed Jay-Z. That was a mistake but understandable in those exhausting conditions.

chairmenmeow47
06-30-2010, 09:22 AM
i wish instead of a chicken dumpling with soy sauce you'd had some real, southern chicken & dumplings. that would have been awesome. thanks for the post-card and glad you had a great time :)

softbulletin
06-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Great review, the Black Keys --> LCD was the best late night I'd seen at Bonnaroo since 08, when MMJ played the greatest set ever. Hopefully they'll be back next year and you'll be there to see it.

Also just curious, what did you think of the crowd? I really had no problems whatsoever and thought everybody was really nice/talkative the whole weekend but it seems other people had a way different experience.

Alligator Bogaloo
06-30-2010, 09:54 AM
I had no problems with the crowds, every show I saw I was talking to people near me, talking about bands, finding out where they came from, etc....

Mr. Dylanja
06-30-2010, 10:11 AM
These detailed, coherent reviews seem to be the exact opposite of Hippy's drug addled rants. Too funny.

sin213
06-30-2010, 10:12 AM
great review micah! especially like the set lists and links to sets where available.

glad you had fun! and thankfully.....IT IS A DRY HEAT HERE IN AZ.

:D

BROKENDOLL
06-30-2010, 11:55 AM
These detailed, coherent reviews seem to be the exact opposite of Hippy's drug addled rants. Too funny.

I just got all caught up reading the last few pages, and while I'm pretty sure the Roo isn't for us, it was interesting to read the conflicting experiences of those that went.

Liquidsnake has been numerous times before and noticed changes from the past. Micah was new to all of it, yet went alone and had a grand time. (Awesome review except I didn't see any pics, just empty gaps between paragraphs? :()

Liquidsnake complained about the legalities and hassles with drugs, along with the high heat and humidity. And, on top of it, had a festival friend lose their life after meeting him at one point beforehand. (That would be a definite buzz kill if not, head trip during or after a fest for me, anyway.) Micah, on the other hand, may have complained about the heat, but because he was alone, was able to act accordingly. Maybe a joint here and there, but no drinking. Heat anywhere is bad enough, but humidity is unrelenting and brutal on the body, and that's not even factoring in drug use. Getting sleep each night was a huge factor, since he knew the mornings were hot by 8am. Knowing where the AC tent was and using it, and finding a place for down time that offered another favorite activity, (Games)was a plus to his weekend I'm sure... (Nobody really wants to miss any of the actual fest just sitting in a tent because of the elements, yet he found a nice alternative that had the festival vibe. Good job!)

In any case, this was a great example of "A Good Time is What YOU Make of It." Both people had great reviews on the bands and music, but due to different approaches and in Liquidsnake's case, sad events occur, we got 2 entirely different versions of the same festival.

And, coincidence that Liquidsnake, a veteran Roo Fan, had a bad time, VS Micah, the Roo Virgin, having a grand time? Where have we seen or heard that before?

feather
06-30-2010, 02:55 PM
I thought Bonnaroo was the best festival in the world liquid?! This is hilariously ironic.

Gribbz
06-30-2010, 02:58 PM

I'm not surprised that a rookie's experience was different than a veteran's. All of my friends who went to Coachella for the first time this year thought it was "perfect." No problems what so ever... which clearly was not the case.

faxman75
06-30-2010, 03:03 PM
yep, I can see why they would think that too. Most people I know refuse to go to these fests because they remember the clusterfucks that were fests in the 90''s that took place in concrete parking lots and shitty sounding ampitheaters. If Coachella 09' would have been my first leap into festivals again I would have still found it to be amazing!