PDA

View Full Version : The Official Bonnaroo 2010 Coachella Board thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16

C DUB YA
02-10-2010, 07:44 AM
and sasquatch isnt gonna bring anything that isnt already out there either so. all eyes on lolla

Yeah I didn't read it as sasquatch being better or anything, I think they were just listing the larger festivals. Yeah Perry has to be jumping for joy right about now

amyzzz
02-10-2010, 07:49 AM
I'm out of this thread unless I get an email from the Bonnaroo mailing list about much better adds. This year's line-up is a joke.

C DUB YA
02-10-2010, 07:50 AM
I'm out of this thread unless I get an email from the Bonnaroo mailing list about much better adds. This year's line-up is a joke.

I'm with ya Amy. I've gone to roo in the past but this year a big "hell no"

I have planted my flag in the desert, and I'm staying.

ShyGuy75
02-10-2010, 07:51 AM
The 2010 Coachella line-up is "weaker than normal?"

lol wat

errr...yeah. jay-z, pavement, muse, faith no more, tcv, tiesto at the top of the lineup? if you would stop being a fan boy for once, you would see that this is the weakest top part of the lineup that coachella has ever had. budgetchella at its finest.

like it or not, the blurb from the cos board is spot on with respects to everything it speaks on. they did forget to point out how much fun everyone is going to have at all of these events this year, no matter who is playing.

faxman75
02-10-2010, 07:53 AM
I don't see much speculation for the Lolla headliners either. Soundgarden seems very likely. I always though Lolla had a good advantage being in August as well. They can fit bands who are wrapping up a summer tour or just starting a fall tour into their lineup. I'm sure i'll be at lolla again this year since it's convenient for me to double it up with a visit home. We'll see what they get first though.

rage patton
02-10-2010, 07:59 AM
errr...yeah. jay-z, pavement, muse, faith no more, tcv, tiesto at the top of the lineup? if you would stop being a fan boy for once, you would see that this is the weakest top part of the lineup that coachella has ever had. budgetchella at its finest.

like it or not, the blurb from the cos board is spot on with respects to everything it speaks on. they did forget to point out how much fun everyone is going to have at all of these events this year, no matter who is playing.

Yes. Definitely the weakest top part of the line up. Budgetchella for sure. Oh wait... you're an idiot. Don't you remember the backlash against the line up last year and in 08? Do you remember the backlash this year? No? Well that is because their wasn't one. Appart from a few people complaining about Jay-Z, everyone was really hapy with the line up this year.

Furthermore, numerous board members here have been claiming how they havent been able to convince any friend to go to Coachella before no matter how hard they tried, then this year they didn't even have to try to convince friends. They all wanted to come because of the line up. This is the case with me this year. This line up is by far the strongest line up in years and apparently everyone except you and that dude on COS realize it.

C DUB YA
02-10-2010, 08:00 AM
I don't see much speculation for the Lolla headliners either. Soundgarden seems very likely. I always though Lolla had a good advantage being in August as well. They can fit bands who are wrapping up a summer tour or just starting a fall tour into their lineup. I'm sure i'll be at lolla again this year since it's convenient for me to double it up with a visit home. We'll see what they get first though.

Yep, they have the advantage of timing. They can see who is willing to play festivals, how much it's going to cost them to get that act booked, when are they going to tour... etc.

It's easy for me to swing it as well. I just wish I liked the layout more. I have that feeling we will see Soundgarden for sure, and those Lady Gaga rumors will grow everyday since Perry said he's bringing glam to Lolla this year. The lineup will be good no doubt, but as original as Coachella? Probably not.

Ardentbiscuit
02-10-2010, 08:00 AM
I'm pretty sure the Bonnaroo headliners are set.

I've never seen them add headliners after the fact.

I'm just hoping they don't do the additions like the initial line up.

I'll go bonkers.

I've been to Bonnaroo once and had a blast.

I still think Coachella's line up is better this year.

Just because Bonnaroo can pack in more people due to size doesn't mean it's better, just bigger. Bigger isn't always better.

And just because Lolla is in the middle of town doesn't make it better either. I actually think being in the middle of town makes a festival worse because then people who don't really give a crap go to the festival because it's convenient. They really don't care if it's a baseball game, festival, monster truck rally, whatever. Just something to do when they are bored and need a place to get wasted.

C DUB YA
02-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Yes. Definitely the weakest top part of the line up. Budgetchella for sure. Oh wait... you're an idiot. Don't you remember the backlash against the line up last year and in 08? Do you remember the backlash this year? No? Well that is because their wasn't one. Appart from a few people complaining about Jay-Z, everyone was really hapy with the line up this year.

Furthermore, numerous board members here have been claiming how they havent been able to convince any friend to go to Coachella before no matter how hard they tried, then this year they didn't even have to try to convince friends. They all wanted to come because of the line up. This is the case with me this year. This line up is by far the strongest line up in years and apparently everyone except you and that dude on COS realize it.

I LOVE the lineup this year, but I wouldn't exactly say this line-up is the "strongest" in years either.

I myself have to go back quite a few.

C DUB YA
02-10-2010, 08:03 AM
And just because Lolla is in the middle of town doesn't make it better either. I actually think being in the middle of town makes a festival worse because then people who don't really give a crap go to the festival because it's convenient. They really don't care if it's a baseball game, festival, monster truck rally, whatever. Just something to do when they are bored and need a place to get wasted.

Lolla's setting is pretty great though. The killer Chicago skyline is hard to beat as a backdrop.

Considering the attendance numbers, they do get their share of, let's go do that. But it also feels like they get 50,000 music diehards in there too.

ShyGuy75
02-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Furthermore, numerous board members here have been claiming how they havent been able to convince any friend to go to Coachella before no matter how hard they tried, then this year they didn't even have to try to convince friends.

hahahahaha

captncrzy
02-10-2010, 08:11 AM
http://memegenerator.net/Instances/939/Discrimination-Hippie-BONNAROO-IS-BETTER-CUZ-THERES-LESS-BLACK-BITCHES.jpg

betao
02-10-2010, 08:12 AM

What in the hell are talking about? You think booking Tiesto is a part of "budgetchella"? Do you not realize that he is arguably the most popular DJ in the world (note I said popular, not skilled)? Same with David Guetta. I'm pretty sure that they're on the more expensive end of electronic acts.

Oh but that's it. I'm sure Pavement and Faith No More were pretty cheap subs too, they're just cheap reunions that don't have much leverage (despite each of them selling out their recent reunion shows). Thom Yorke must also have been pretty cheap, he's just some solo dude.

And Gorillaz? Psh, I'm sure they'll have some cheap production that wont cost much.

And yeah, I'm sure names like Public Image ltd, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Specials (oh hey another reunion), Gary Numan, De La Soul, Devo, and many other 3rd-4th line acts (which there are more of this year) probably didn't cost much.

captncrzy
02-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Y.

Furthermore, numerous board members here have been claiming how they havent been able to convince any friend to go to Coachella before no matter how hard they tried.

Some people just have really retarded friends.

liquidsnake28
02-10-2010, 08:13 AM
This line up is by far the strongest line up in years and apparently everyone except you and that dude on COS realize it.

Come on now. Be a little more realistic. He's right that this year has the weakest top part of the lineup. Overall it's a very solid lineup but definitely not the strongest in years. It just worked out perfectly for you because your favorite bands are on the lineup this year.

I'm still shocked about how bad bonnaroo fucked up. They shouldn't have even had it this year since they knew the lineup was going to be this bad.

C DUB YA
02-10-2010, 08:14 AM
And yeah, I'm sure names like Public Image ltd, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Specials (oh hey another reunion), Gary Numan, De La Soul, Devo, and many other 3rd-4th line acts (which there are more of this year) probably didn't cost much.

I happen to know that Echo and Devo aren't that expensive to book. esp when Devo will be touring.

betao
02-10-2010, 08:15 AM
hahahahaha

You can laugh, but he's right.

This is my 3rd coachella, I fly out all the way from VA.

in 2008, only one person came with me.

in 2009, no one would.

this year, I have four people that are coming (so far).

betao
02-10-2010, 08:17 AM
I happen to know that Echo and Devo aren't that expensive to book. esp when Devo will be touring.

Well this I would not expect given their prestige.

But my point still stands. Calling this lineup a "budgetchella" is fucking ignorant.

You can call it a weak lineup all you want to - that's an opinion. But whether or not you like it, this still is probably not a "budgetchella".

C DUB YA
02-10-2010, 08:19 AM
It's a case by case basis, he's not exactly right...

I will have been to 10 Coachella's and this is the first year we DON'T have at least 4 people in the car or hotel. Just 2.

For example, in 2004 we had 13 people. in 1999 we had 9, In 2007 we had 5

C DUB YA
02-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Well this I would not expect given their prestige.

But my point still stands. Calling this lineup a "budgetchella" is fucking ignorant.

You can call it a weak lineup all you want to - that's an opinion. But whether or not you like it, this still is probably not a "budgetchella".

I wouldn't call it that, but I would make a claim that this year, they spent less on booking acts than the last 2 years.

thestripe
This line up is by far the strongest line up in years and apparently everyone except you and that dude on COS realize it.

It's stronger than last year. That's about it. Not that this year sucks or anything, it's still great.

rage patton
Im just saying, its been spread out through numerous threads here... but I recall there a quite the number of acounts of people saying how they could never convince any friends to go, but this year those same friends are tripping over themselves wanting to go.

ShyGuy75
02-10-2010, 08:21 AM
no need to get worked up, betao. i'm sure circumstances also have a lot to do with some peoples friends being able to go this year and not past years.

one cannot, however look at the top of the lineups that coachella has produced since it went to the three day format and logically argue that the amount of money spent on it compares to this year. its not even close, and its not even worth debating with fanboys.

faxman75
It's easy for me to swing it as well. I just wish I liked the layout more. I have that feeling we will see Soundgarden for sure, and those Lady Gaga rumors will grow everyday since Perry said he's bringing glam to Lolla this year. The lineup will be good no doubt, but as original as Coachella? Probably not.

I agree on all counts.

betao
I wouldn't call it that, but I would make a claim that they spent less on booking acts than the last 2 years.

Be that as it may, but I would challenge that claim.

TomAz
02-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Never heard him, but I'll give it a try per your recommendation.

Rawlings is the guy who plays with Gillian Welch.

Aurgasm
02-10-2010, 08:23 AM

Budgetchella? well if indeed they're tightening the purse strings, they did it with gusto and provided us with a solid lineup.

I'm with amyzzz. Peace, thread.

betao
02-10-2010, 08:24 AM
no need to get worked up, betao. i'm sure circumstances also have a lot to do with some peoples friends being able to go this year and not past years.

one cannot, however look at the top of the lineups that coachella has produced since it went to the three day format and logically argue that the amount of money spent on it compares to this year. its not even close, and its not even worth debating with fanboys.

Didn't mean to come off as "worked up", but I'm still standing by my assertion that they spent more money this year than they did last year.

I wont say 08, because I'm sure Roger Waters, Prince, and Portishead were pretty pricey.

faxman75
02-10-2010, 08:29 AM
I would think McCartney would cost more than anyone on this years lineup. Jay-Z is probably the only one who comes close but he's still not getting Macca money.

MassiveChemicalPunk
02-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Matt, ShyGuy is a retard. Don't even mind what he says.

liquidsnake28
02-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Uh I think Macca, Morrissey, The Killers, MBV and The Cure cost a bit more than what's at the top this year.

There's no way De La Soul was the least bit expensive either.

Boourns
02-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Just because they (presumably) didn't $2.5 million on one headliner doesn't mean it's budgetchella. The mid-tier is more insanely stacked this year than ever, and if Bowie won't play, the Stones can't, The Smiths and Talking Heads still won't reunite, then what desirable act is left that would cost that much?

ShyGuy75
02-10-2010, 08:38 AM
looks like the tweens are out for blood today

scoop49er
02-10-2010, 08:42 AM
i think bonnaroo and coachella are both taking very smart moves and not looking so hard for the big classic rock headliner this year. yeha the who was in discussions but its a good thing they did not get them...

i just think both festivals are banking on their name and reputation to get people to the polo fields and the farm.... instead of going for that big $$ name like mccartney or springsteen, they are spreading the dollar out to strengthen the whole lineup..

i think Bonnaroo is lacking a strong headliner that the Roo is used to having the last 4 years.... so it makes the lineup look not that strong..

for example, most of you in 08 saw the shitfits people had over that lineup... once Prince got announced it took a different shape...

bottom line is the Roo lineup is very good but its not very strong on top with casual Roo goers so they may have to consider adding a big name to bring up the numbers...

but then again, the DMB and KOL are big out there so they many not need to.....

we shall see

Boourns
02-10-2010, 08:48 AM
I wonder what happened to caravan palace. An early confirmation for both fests and they aren't playing either.

faxman75
02-10-2010, 08:48 AM
The problem with Dave Matthews is he tours every fucking place and does multiple shows for people outside of TN, they will wait and for those Dave fans that love to travel to see Dave, they will wait for the Gorge and Red Rocks shows. KOL weren't headliner worthy last year but they still get a lot of main stream buzz and it's their region much like Wilco headlined Lolla in 08'. There isn't a big act to draw in people from all over the country. Last year you had Phish and their hordes of fans were hungry for shows, Bruce Springsteen who is a touring monster and perfect fit for the Roo and then a packed and diverse undercard.

This year we got a handful of emo punk bands (gaslight, rise against, against me). That has to be a huge turn off to both hipsters and hippies.

apostle2
02-10-2010, 08:50 AM
the only thing that this bonnaroo line up conclusively does for me is forces me to buy a coachella ticket and book flights.

This is the worst line up since 06, but I'm fairly sure that some bigger things will be added. I will probably still go since it's the cheapest of the major festivals for me and I have a bunch of friends that still want to go, but I'm not buying the ticket anytime soon. I'll see other lineups, and if no good additions happen I might do ATP NY and Pitchfork over this. I would say Lolla, but it sucks as a festival.

thestripe
02-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Every tool in the country loves "Use Somebody". KOL can headline Bonnaroo with ease.

KOL @ Bonnarro = Muse @ Coachella

Mr. Dylanja
02-10-2010, 08:51 AM
MMJ has to be added at some point, amirite?

JustSteve
02-10-2010, 08:57 AM
these festivals can only book bands/artists that are touring, for the most part. the lineup can only be as good as who is available in the area on the date of the festival. it is not always that a festival couldn't "get" a particular band. not sure why people think all it takes is a festival asking a band to play for them to be there?

TomAz
02-10-2010, 08:57 AM
This is the worst line up since 06

what a bizarre statement. Bonnaroo 06 was very good. Better than Coachella that year.

TomAz
02-10-2010, 08:58 AM
these festivals can only book bands/artists that are touring, for the most part. the lineup can only be as good as who is available in the area on the date of the festival. it is not always that a festival couldn't "get" a particular band. not sure why people think all it takes is a festival asking a band to play for them to be there?

don't confuse them with facts.

apostle2
02-10-2010, 09:03 AM

I agree, especially on inforoo people expect a hundred one-offs to build their line up. maybe a handful, but no more than that.

what a bizarre statement. Bonnaroo 06 was very good. Better than Coachella that year.

Among regular bonnaroo attendees, that opinion is in the vast minority.

feather
02-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Dear Roo,

I love you so much, but will not be attending this year. I know it will be amazing regardless.

Signed,

Feather

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-10-2010, 09:06 AM

Stupid fucking hippies.

TomAz
02-10-2010, 09:11 AM

This supports rather than diminishes the validity of my opinion.

shoegazer76
02-10-2010, 09:20 AM

You are misinformed & wrong. They can "Only" book acts that are touring? No I think & know not. These fests especially bonnaroo can get whoever they want as long as they plop the cash down on the table. The lower billed acts are the ones that they put on the lineup because they're on tour.

liquidsnake28
02-10-2010, 09:23 AM
hippies

This lineup is not hippie friendly at all. They're just as pissed as everyone else because there's hardly any jambands on the lineup either.

Bonnaroo 06 was the second best one (after 07.) This one is easily the worst.

thestripe
02-10-2010, 09:25 AM

You are misinformed & wrong. They can "Only" book acts that are touring? No I think & know not. These fests especially bonnaroo can get whoever they want as long as they plop the cash down on the table. The lower billed acts are the ones that they put on the lineup because they're on tour.

You missed part of what he said. And they can't get anybody they want, even with cash. It just doesn't work that way.

shoegazer76
02-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Money talks. You throw enough money at a big name & they will make room in their schedule. Period end of discussion.

faxman75
02-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Lacking evidence. Which headliners do you know refused to tour everywhere but took a big pay day from a fest and only did it because it was a truckload of money?

TomAz
02-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Money talks. You throw enough money at a big name & they will make room in their schedule. Period end of discussion.

So why haven't the Smiths reunited?

also, what faxman said. Your statement is just a big broad generalization straight out of your ass. You have no idea if it's actually true.

thestripe
02-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Prince.

JustSteve
02-10-2010, 09:35 AM
These fests especially bonnaroo can get whoever they want as long as they plop the cash down on the table.

nope. at least not from what i have heard from my friend who produces this little fest called coachella.

liquidsnake28
02-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Coachella should plop down some cash so that David Byrne can suddenly have the desire to get the Talking Heads back together. Money talks guys. Fuck yeah!

shoegazer76
02-10-2010, 09:40 AM
So why haven't the Smiths reunited?

also, what faxman said. Your statement is just a big broad generalization straight out of your ass. You have no idea if it's actually true.

So you take a completely different scenario of a band that is not even together vs. acts that are still together & have toured in the last 10 -15 yrs to turn this shit around on me. You are pulling shit out of your ass now. Morrissey has said its not about the money. The Smiths are not reuniting ever. Get over it.

TomAz
02-10-2010, 09:41 AM
So why is it not about money for the Smiths but it is for everyone else? You're arguing against yourself now.

edit: so if you are modifying your statement to be limited to bands that are currently active, currently touring, and don't have existing commitments or logistical conflicts, then yes, I agree with you, the last variable is money.

C DUB YA
02-10-2010, 09:41 AM
I would think McCartney would cost more than anyone on this years lineup. Jay-Z is probably the only one who comes close but he's still not getting Macca money.

QFT

TomAz
02-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Coachella should plop down some cash so that David Byrne can suddenly have the desire to get the Talking Heads back together. Money talks guys. Fuck yeah!

Also, maybe if Tollett weren't such a cheapskate, he could bring Joe Strummer back from the dead.

shoegazer76
02-10-2010, 09:57 AM
So why is it not about money for the Smiths but it is for everyone else? You're arguing against yourself now.

edit: so if you are modifying your statement to be limited to bands that are currently active, currently touring, and don't have existing commitments or logistical conflicts, then yes, I agree with you, the last variable is money.

First off I didn't bring up the case of The Smiths. Why isn't it about the money for them? Because it came straight from the horses mouth that its not about the money. There are some deep rooted issues & probably internal confilct there that none of us will probably ever know the logistics of. It would be in just about every band or acts better interest to reunite over time & hiatus for sake of promoting their back catalog for generations that haven't been exposed to them as many are doing & have already done. However in this case principles obviously outweigh any monetary gain in Morrissey's eyes anyway. & to an extent I respect his decision.

TomAz
02-10-2010, 10:21 AM
You're missing my point. Which is, the Smiths are hardly unique in that regard.

faxman75
02-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Shoegazer, you skipped over the part where you were supposed to give us some examples of festivals convincing headliners.

Prince didn't refuse to tour. He played a ton of shows in 2007 and too up a residency for tons of shows in Europe and Vegas then finally settled in the fall at a Casino in Cali closer to home. He spent the rest of 2008 putting the finishing touches on his new CD's that came out last year and then played more shows in L.A.

It's not like he got on a plane to Japan to do a one off at a festival that was out of his way. Coachella is practically in his backyard.

Mr. Dylanja
02-10-2010, 10:44 AM
I've never seen an episode of The View but this thread is what I imagine it'd be like.

canexplain
02-10-2010, 10:51 AM
I've never seen an episode of The View but this thread is what I imagine it'd be like.

This place is worse. Everyone is wrong except the person posting. cr*****

Blinken
02-10-2010, 11:37 AM
So shoegazer care to explain why Radiohead didn't play in 2008? was it just that Coachella refused to pay them?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-10-2010, 11:41 AM

But this is exactly what makes Coachella so special. They have always tended to get artist who were either on hiatus or not touring at all to play at Coachella. Every year from 1999 on, has had someone who either did a one off (Tool in 1999, Janes in 2001, Bjork in 2002, Radiohead's only US show in 2004, etc.) or a reunion (RATM, Bauhaus) or special US appearance (Portishead 2008). This year is a perfect example. Bonnaroo (in most years that I've followed the line up) simply has had acts that are already touring and their schedules just fit nicely with Roo. Lolla even more so since its held in August. I have yet to see either pull someone out of their ass like Goldenvoice has (someon correct me if I'm wrong on this). Goldenvoice always seems think out of the box as to what they can offer that will separate them from the rest of the pack. Last year's line up wasn't the strongest for them but Paul McCartney made it special and moved tickets. Gorillaz aren't anywhere near his draw but a combo of them plus the rest of the line up makes it a draw (Plus the lack of an LA date for Muse). Roo's line up will still sell tickets because of KOL and DMB tho, I think people tend to forget that. How many they will end up selling is a different story.

higgybaby23
02-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Also, maybe if Tollett weren't such a cheapskate, he could bring Joe Strummer back from the dead.

Chuckle.

Boourns
02-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Bands being on tour at the time helps, but one-offs do happen (Fever Ray, Gorillaz).

I guess better undercard acts (YYYs, St Vincent, Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective, etc) were on tour last year around the time of Bonnaroo than this year.

BlackSwan
02-10-2010, 11:59 AM
This is the worst line up since 06

Seriously? You do realize Radiohead played their longest set in the US ever that year, right?

suprefan
02-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Seriously? You do realize Radiohead played their longest set in the US ever that year, right?

I dont think he likes Radiohead, or even The White Stripes.

apostle2
02-10-2010, 12:01 PM

yup, I was there for every second of it. One band doesn't make a line up.

Gribbz
02-10-2010, 12:02 PM
It's very easy to understand why one wouldn't like The White Stripes. Radiohead on the other hand...

CellarOwl
02-10-2010, 12:04 PM

Burn the witch!

BlackSwan
02-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Winner.

Also, said LCD Soundsystem... 5 out of 5 this year. And anyone who wants to make a little bitchy comment about how I said Hall and Oats and that is ended up just being Hall is a little bitch.

apostle2
02-10-2010, 12:06 PM

what the hell are you talking about? Radiohead are my favorite band and I've seen jack white 5 or 6 times. And White Stripes were '07, not '06 if that's what you're referencing.

TomAz
02-10-2010, 12:19 PM
yup, I was there for every second of it. One band doesn't make a line up.

Ben Folds
Bright Eyes* * - with guests Gillian Welch, Dave Rawlings, and Jim James
Andrew Bird
MMJ
DeVotchKa
Elvis Costello
Beck
The Magic Numbers
Buddy Guy
Stephen Malkmus
Sonic Youth
Son Volt
Steve Earle

fuck a hippie who thinks that lineup sucks.

J~$$$$
02-10-2010, 12:21 PM
So what is the general consensus?

SoulDischarge
02-10-2010, 12:24 PM
But this is exactly what makes Coachella so special. They have always tended to get artist who were either on hiatus or not touring at all to play at Coachella. Every year from 1999 on, has had someone who either did a one off (Tool in 1999, Janes in 2001, Bjork in 2002, Radiohead's only US show in 2004, etc.) or a reunion (RATM, Bauhaus) or special US appearance (Portishead 2008). This year is a perfect example. Bonnaroo (in most years that I've followed the line up) simply has had acts that are already touring and their schedules just fit nicely with Roo. Lolla even more so since its held in August. I have yet to see either pull someone out of their ass like Goldenvoice has (someon correct me if I'm wrong on this). Goldenvoice always seems think out of the box as to what they can offer that will separate them from the rest of the pack. Last year's line up wasn't the strongest for them but Paul McCartney made it special and moved tickets. Gorillaz aren't anywhere near his draw but a combo of them plus the rest of the line up makes it a draw (Plus the lack of an LA date for Muse). Roo's line up will still sell tickets because of KOL and DMB tho, I think people tend to forget that. How many they will end up selling is a different story.

Pretty much. Coachella has consistently had the best US lineup outside of ATP for me for years and years. Part of it is that there's not many huge bands that get me very excited, so I look more towards the subs and undercard than the headliners. I also like being able to see extremely rare acts or reunions I've always wanted to see but never figured I'd be able to. As someone who cares about Throbbing Gristle a thousand times more than Nine Inch Nails, Coachella can't be beat. Bonnaroo and Lolla get very solid but not terribly exciting lineups. I haven't been to Lolla so I don't know what the experience is like, and there are a lot of things I vastly prefer about Bonnaroo over Coachella (long sets, late night, a more laissez faire approach to security and controlled substances, etc.) but ultimately, I go to festivals for the music, and of all the major fests, Coachella always dominates for me. Also, it caters to my diverse tastes more than any other festival. I get big popular acts I want to see but would probably never actually pay for on their own, the aforementioned rare acts, old favorites, up and coming talent, plenty of unexpected surprises, and 2 or 3 stages devoted to electronic music, something most US festivals and the US in general is kind of out of the loop on. Just my take anyway.

amyzzz
02-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Ben Folds
Andrew Bird
MMJ
DeVotchKa
Elvis Costello
Beck
The Magic Numbers
Buddy Guy
Stephen Malkmus
Sonic Youth
Son Volt
Steve Earle

If that's from 06, I don't really care for all that...but I did want to see Dungen and Blackalicious from Bonnaroo '06 (and RH of course). I guess I'd see Beck though.

TomAz
02-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Like I said.

SoulDischarge
02-10-2010, 12:27 PM
The people I've met at Pitchfork were uniformly fantastic. Super friendly and open, much much better than either west coast or east coast hipster trash. Still, I guess it's because Pitchfork draws more underground music fans and thus less people who would go to a festival to drink and punch eachother.

In my short time visiting/living in Chicago, I've noticed that people are generally friendlier here than most places in the US I've been to. I've had more people engage in casual conversation at bars and stuff in like 3 weeks than I did in 3 years in SoCal. Maybe it's just because I'm from the midwest though.

TomAz
02-10-2010, 12:29 PM
That is consistent with my experience in Chicago. Chicago bars are the best in the US, because the people will talk to you and some of them have good music.

apostle2
02-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Ben Folds
Andrew Bird
MMJ
DeVotchKa
Elvis Costello
Beck
The Magic Numbers
Buddy Guy
Stephen Malkmus
Sonic Youth
Son Volt
Steve Earle

wow. ok. one, I never said that line up sucked. I WAS THERE. obviously something got me there. I saw 9 of the 13 acts you listed.

and two, calling me a hippie is funny. you would agree if you knew a single thing about my music taste.

TomAz
02-10-2010, 12:31 PM
You -- well, someone, I thought it was you -- said that most of the bonnaroo hippies thought 06 sucked. I think Bonnaroo 06 was pretty damned good and that band list was why. I wasn't criticizing you, I was criticizing the hippies who didn't like 06. I apologize. Fuck a hippie though.

apostle2
02-10-2010, 12:37 PM
disbelief retracted. It was me that said that, but I was assuming that I was being dubbed a hippie.

I think it was one of the worse recent roo lineups, but that's mostly because I thought they did a fantastic job the last three years.

HandBanana
02-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Let's see

* Stevie Wonder
* Jay-Z
* Tenacious D
* The Flaming Lips with Stardeath and White Dwarfs perform “Dark Side of the Moon”
* The Dead Weather
* Damian Marley and Nas
* Phoenix
* John Fogerty
* Regina Spektor
* Jimmy Cliff
* LCD Soundsystem
* The Avett Brothers
* Thievery Corporation
* Tori Amos
* The National
* John Prine
* The Black Keys
* Steve Martin & the Steep Canyon Rangers
* Jeff Beck
* She & Him
* Daryl Hall & Chromeo
* Bassnectar
* Kid Cudi
* Kris Kristofferson
* The xx
* Dan Deacon Ensemble
* Tinariwen
* Deadmau5
* Miike Snow
* The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
* Dr. Dog
* They Might Be Giants
* Isis
* Blitzen Trapper
* Baroness
* Mayer Hawthorne and the County
* Japandroids
* Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros
* Neon Indian

Now of course Im seeing many of these at Coach, but if I werent this lineup doesnt seem too terrible at all. Ive got 39 acts there.

I will say that it lacks a buzzy "wow" act, but I wouldnt ever say that it "sucks"

menikmati
02-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Mmmm can't wait for 2 1/2 hours of KoL.

sbessiso
02-10-2010, 12:50 PM
this is my friends fb status....i weep for her

Holy hell has anyone taken a gander at the b-ro line up.... i hate to say it but i think it has trumped coachella by a long run... Tenacious D, rise against, AGAINST ME! and gwar... need i say more?

Mmmm can't wait for 2 1/2 hours of KoL.

They wont event play that long either

BlackSwan
02-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Kings of Leon are fucking terrible.

Boourns
02-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Rise Against and Against Me are the same band.

I really hope one of the "surprise guests" at Glasto is not KoL :puke

menikmati
02-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Kings of Leon are fucking terrible.

The entire lineup is fucking terrible, outside of like 3 bands. (not counting some Coachella dupes)

LooseAtTheZoo
02-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Based on name and even peripheral interest, disregarding any bands I might discover, and assuming no conflicts, this is who I would be interested in seeing:

Stevie Wonder
Dave Matthews Band
Jay-Z
The Flaming Lips
Phoenix
LCD Soundsystem
Thievery Corporation
Steve Martin
Jeff Beck
Kris Kristofferson
Deadmau5
Dan Deacon
Tinariwen
Dr. Dog
Blitzen Trapper
Calexico
Baroness
Ed Sharpe

Nowhere near enough for me to get to Tennessee

ThomThom
02-10-2010, 01:10 PM
In my short time visiting/living in Chicago, I've noticed that people are generally friendlier here than most places in the US I've been to. I've had more people engage in casual conversation at bars and stuff in like 3 weeks than I did in 3 years in SoCal. Maybe it's just because I'm from the midwest though.

When I was in Chicago for Pitchfork last year for a week it was easily the friendliest city I had been to in this country. I missed Chicago terribly when I came back to Los Angeles, it's a shame the weather sucks and there are no jobs. Also, Pitchfork is hands down my favorite music festival, I'm talking "experience" wise. The accomodations, the overall vibe, and the location are unbeatable.

captncrzy
02-10-2010, 01:17 PM
this is my friends fb status....i weep for her

They wont event play that long either

Tell her I say she is retarded.

clecirclecir
02-10-2010, 01:28 PM
was going to go but after the lineup announcement i am changing plans and taking my chances with sasquatch and nateva!

psycobetabuckdown
02-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Rise Against and Against Me are the same band.

I really hope one of the "surprise guests" at Glasto is not KoL :puke

Nah, Against Me are much better.

C DUB YA
02-10-2010, 01:49 PM
keep in mind when you roo, you deal with this. (and this is a pic from the festival last year)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/carywhitt/lawsonroofancamping2_021_medium.jpg

C DUB YA
02-10-2010, 01:51 PM
When I was in Chicago for Pitchfork last year for a week it was easily the friendliest city I had been to in this country. I missed Chicago terribly when I came back to Los Angeles, it's a shame the weather sucks and there are no jobs. Also, Pitchfork is hands down my favorite music festival, I'm talking "experience" wise. The accomodations, the overall vibe, and the location are unbeatable.

don't forget value!

clecirclecir
02-10-2010, 02:04 PM
keep in mind when you roo, you deal with this. (and this is a pic from the festival last year)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/carywhitt/lawsonroofancamping2_021_medium.jpg

yeah i was camped at clark griswald (right near an exit) and every fried early morning back i felt like i was walking to booney-ville cause all the locals using that road out *shudder*

edit: clark griswold

sbessiso
02-10-2010, 02:06 PM
oh get over yourselves.

faxman75
02-10-2010, 02:07 PM

Why must every thread be ruined with a pic of Suff and BD?

Boourns
02-10-2010, 02:11 PM

The South shall rise again.

shotglass75
02-10-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't think my South can ever rise again after looking at that

scoop49er
02-10-2010, 02:23 PM
about the lineup:

its one thing if this board doesnt like it... who cares as most people here arent going anyways...

but its another when inforoo boardies have a problem with it as well.. lots of their regulars are not happy either..

their board has the same feel as this board had in 08 with jack johnson as the big target...

i wonder if the roo will consider adding a big name or their late add will be a major name to help save the lineup that obviously most dont like

im ok with it but im in the minority big time so they should at least look at that and see if they can pull something off...

scoop49er
02-10-2010, 02:25 PM

sadly, put 12 beers in my gut and id probably fuck her doggie! :)

amyzzz
02-10-2010, 02:26 PM
I knew there was a reason why I don't drink.

Mr. Dylanja
02-10-2010, 02:28 PM
i wonder if the roo will consider adding a big name or their late add will be a major name to help save the lineup that obviously most dont like

im ok with it but im in the minority big time so they should at least look at that and see if they can pull something off...

MMJ Late Night part II will satisfy all the hippies.

canexplain
02-10-2010, 02:40 PM
I say one or two more sort of big adds but maybe I am hoping. I am still looking for the monkey, ie:

Gorillas
Arctic monkeys
Rolling stones

Cr*****

shotglass75
02-10-2010, 02:43 PM

It's part III if it happens. 2006, 2008, 2010?

Mr. Dylanja
02-10-2010, 02:44 PM
I stand corrected, I didn't think 06 was late nite but I never looked it up.

shotglass75
02-10-2010, 02:47 PM
It started after Tom Petty and went for 3.5 hours. First time really seeing them or getting into them. Absolutely fucking insane!!!! Guitar solo for Dodonte was giving people what only could be described as orgasmic seizures

summerkid
02-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Bands I would like to see playing bonnaroo(not playing Coachella)

Jimmy Cliff.
The National.
John Prine.
The Black Keys
Kris Kristofferson
The Melvins

and none of those are the kind you travel across the country and pay over $250 to see.

Mr. Dylanja
02-10-2010, 03:35 PM
We get it, enough with the lists.

ThomThom
02-10-2010, 03:58 PM
We get it, enough with the lists.

Kid A
Ok Computer
The Bends
Amnesiac
In Rainbows
Hail to the Thief
Pablo Honey

XOXO

Suffacated
02-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Why must every thread be ruined with a pic of Suff and BD?

If I had me some extra meat, I'd almost look as good as you fax :winkiss

theresalwaysone
02-10-2010, 05:35 PM

http://i47.tinypic.com/sdzhn7.jpg

psycobetabuckdown
02-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Kid A
Ok Computer
The Bends
Amnesiac
In Rainbows
Hail to the Thief
Pablo Honey

XOXO

A Rush of Blood to the Head
Parachutes
Viva La Vida
X & Y

Rachelll0ve
02-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Ahh, I was looking for a way to transition to the Coachella forums... I've been a Bonnaroo/Lollapalooza kid forever... I've never done Coachella, let alone any west coast festival. I'm assuming not much is different between the two (especially with the Coachella upgrades this year with the car camping and whatnot... did they REALLY not allow that till this year????) but PLEASE feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I just hate being a lurker, really. And its easier to get pumped for Coachella being on the forum... So hi, I'm Rachel. And I wanna love Coachella haha.

liquidsnake28
02-10-2010, 05:52 PM

People on their board are thinking they'll save MMJ for the 10th anniversary next year and have them close out the mainstage sunday because they're the one bonnaroo regular that got huge.

sbessiso
02-10-2010, 06:07 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/sdzhn7.jpg

This guy is definitely packing some heat! One could potentially overlook the bald head.....

People on their board are thinking they'll save MMJ for the 10th anniversary next year and have them close out the mainstage sunday because they're the one bonnaroo regular that got huge.

Im not missing Bonnaroo's 10th Anni thats for sure

sublimepixie
02-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Ahh, I was looking for a way to transition to the Coachella forums... I've been a Bonnaroo/Lollapalooza kid forever... I've never done Coachella, let alone any west coast festival. I'm assuming not much is different between the two (especially with the Coachella upgrades this year with the car camping and whatnot... did they REALLY not allow that till this year????) but PLEASE feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I just hate being a lurker, really. And its easier to get pumped for Coachella being on the forum... So hi, I'm Rachel. And I wanna love Coachella haha.

same here! i've done 'roo for the past three years, but after i moved out to LA from NY (and am no longer getting free roo tickets) i felt that i had to give Coachella a try. from what i've heard its super awesome...so like rachel before me....hi, im suzi. and this is my first coachella. yay!

pancakespancakes
02-10-2010, 10:50 PM
I know I couldn't be any later on the commentary here, but I sure feel like I picked the right year to skip Bonnaroo... I haven't read the thread but I can guess all of the responses... I'll be trying to check out Sasquatch and/or ATP this year.

PJandBompton
02-10-2010, 10:54 PM

I mean...Kings of Leon are headlining this year...

Boourns
02-10-2010, 10:55 PM

Welcome aboard! What are you looking forward to seeing at Coachella?

liquidsnake28
02-10-2010, 11:52 PM

I mean ... the bonnaroo regular that got big and isn't fucking horrid.

ShyGuy75
02-11-2010, 06:37 AM

feels good. i plan on attending next year.

TomAz
02-11-2010, 06:44 AM

same here! i've done 'roo for the past three years, but after i moved out to LA from NY (and am no longer getting free roo tickets) i felt that i had to give Coachella a try. from what i've heard its super awesome...so like rachel before me....hi, im suzi. and this is my first coachella. yay!

The Coachella message board is a little different. Be careful.

rskapcat
02-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Welcome, Rachel and Suzi. Tom ^ speaks truth.

suprefan
02-11-2010, 07:03 AM
about the lineup:

its one thing if this board doesnt like it... who cares as most people here arent going anyways...

but its another when inforoo boardies have a problem with it as well.. lots of their regulars are not happy either..

their board has the same feel as this board had in 08 with jack johnson as the big target...

I dont think it will even matter if they did that. It would almost look like Prince finally making it onto the 08 line up and people thinking it was a ploy to boost ticket sales and ''save'' the festival.

faxman75
02-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Welcome Rachel and Suzie. Put on a helmet and enjoy your stay. Don't take things to personal. It could be a bit rough around here but it's for the benefit of the whole so ease in.

TomAz
02-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Fuck you Mark.

sonnyboy11
02-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Stevie Wonder and Jeff Beck are incredible live. Overall, I don't think that's a bad line up at all.

scoop49er
02-11-2010, 07:28 AM
welcome rachel and suzie. be prepared to be hit on by douchebags! :)

you will dig coachella its a great festival.. much cleaner than the roo......

the roo is a experience in itself and coachella has its own vibe u will dig....

faxman75
02-11-2010, 07:32 AM
Fuck you Mark.

This fuckin' guy.

http://donthavekids.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/old-people-bird.jpg

sublimepixie
02-11-2010, 08:43 AM
gracias for the heads up

TomAz
02-11-2010, 08:54 AM
how rich are you?

HandBanana
02-11-2010, 09:23 AM
An interview with Jonathan Mayers, president of Superfly Presents, co-producer of Bonnaroo with A.C. Entertainment.

Ya know, when Tollett does interviews you dont really hear him referring to Coachella as a "brand" and "marketing platform" and so on.

This dude seems like a greasy Clear Channel Bill Lumberg weaselman...

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i4c8c39f58df428b955b7e1b3bcdd1cf8

canexplain
02-11-2010, 09:36 AM
An interview with Jonathan Mayers, president of Superfly Presents, co-producer of Bonnaroo with A.C. Entertainment.

Ya know, when Tollett does interviews you dont really hear him referring to Coachella as a "brand" and "marketing platform" and so on.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i4c8c39f58df428b955b7e1b3bcdd1cf8

When you think about it, Bonnaroo is a brand more then say Coachella. Coachella is a real city that exists year round. Bonnaroo is a made up city that only exists for a while during the summer. It is a lot like Lollapalooza. So you can get all touchy feely and say the fests are more then just a music event and all of that, but it is a brand to be sure and something you have to market if you want to be around the next year. Cr*****

HandBanana
02-11-2010, 09:41 AM
I understand the realities.

But from a PR perspective, this guys sounds like a corporate twat.

canexplain
02-11-2010, 09:44 AM
I have been burned by Superfly twice so I do have mixed feelings about them in general. cr*****

chairmenmeow47
02-11-2010, 10:13 AM

this guy does sound like a douche. booking kings of crapon, jay-z & dave matthews band is in no way, shape or form "evolving" or "taking chances". it's boring & expected.

canexplain
02-11-2010, 10:20 AM
this guy does sound like a douche. booking kings of crapon, jay-z & dave matthews band is in no way, shape or form "evolving" or "taking chances". it's boring & expected.

A bit like Coachella eh...... I don't like the headliners at either fest.... Muse, why, just because they are headling every other fest in the world ... you already made your comment on Jay-s .......cr*****

Boourns
02-11-2010, 10:27 AM
But Coachella booked Gorillaz. Booking an act whose draw as a live act is unknown (due to a lack of touring and having never played a festival, let alone headline one) as a headliner is definitely adventurous.

chairmenmeow47
02-11-2010, 10:30 AM
especially with a brand new stage set-up. and coachella has a killer undercard this year IMO. it's been mentioned before that a lot of the undercard at bonnaroo aren't bands that are worth travelling for, whereas the undercard at coachella seems to have more acts that ARE worth travelling for based on the rarity of their performances & the quality of their act (plastikman, orbital, pavement, the specials, faith no more).

plus, paul T doesn't sound like a marketing major when he talks, so he's got that going for him.

canexplain
02-11-2010, 10:37 AM
I am just bummed about Coachella because for the last 5 years or so it was way ahead of most fests I think. Boourns, if I went to vegas and only hit 1 out of every 3 times I played a game, I would in the end, lose. Yes, the undercard is great at Coachella but .... I don't buy the argument about who cares what the headliners are .... if that is the case, screw the headliners, don't have any, save millions and cut the ticket prices by half. It's called Monolith here in Colorado ..... cr*****

djandrews25
02-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Are you seriously bitching about coachella's lineup in the bonnaroo thread??? cr****

chairmenmeow47
02-11-2010, 10:40 AM
so you're saying you are disappointed in the coachella headliners?

see, this is the first year i've actually wanted to see all the headliners since 2004. i may not listen to jay-z much these days, but in high school i loved the man and i had tickets to see him, but had to back out at the last minute so i'm excited to finally see him. i saw muse in 2007, but i haven't seen this new stage set-up people have been talking about. and i have a feeling the gorillaz performance will be on par with daft punk in 2006 where anyone who misses it will feel like a complete tool for years to come. AND i like the undercard so it's a great year for me :)

i wish i would have gone to bonnaroo in the past when ben folds was a regular. that's probably the only thing that would bring me to tennessee. my mom spent her formative years trying to escape, so i ain't in no rush to visit :p

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-11-2010, 10:41 AM
A bit like Coachella eh...... I don't like the headliners at either fest.... Muse, why, just because they are headling every other fest in the world ... you already made your comment on Jay-s .......cr*****

I think you're a little off based with Muse ron. Muse is headlining festivals in Europe but so far the only festival they are headlining in the US is Coachella. And it doesn't appear that they will headline any other festivals in the US at this point.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-11-2010, 10:43 AM
I am just bummed about Coachella because for the last 5 years or so it was way ahead of most fests I think. Boourns, if I went to vegas and only hit 1 out of every 3 times I played a game, I would in the end, lose. Yes, the undercard is great at Coachella but .... I don't buy the argument about who cares what the headliners are .... if that is the case, screw the headliners, don't have any, save millions and cut the ticket prices by half. It's called Monolith here in Colorado ..... cr*****

You're headliner argument would be fine for Coachella if tickets weren't selling well. Which they are. So Gorillaz/Muse are a big headliners despite what you may think.

Gribbz
02-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Sounds like Ron is just upset that so many people hate Bonnaroo's line-up this year. Rabid defender.

amyzzz
02-11-2010, 10:48 AM
so you're saying you are disappointed in the coachella headliners?

see, this is the first year i've actually wanted to see all the headliners since 2004.
First time since 2005 for me. :thu

Gribbz
02-11-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm happy that I've never wanted to see all three headliners.

canexplain
02-11-2010, 10:50 AM
You're headliner argument would be fine for Coachella if tickets weren't selling well. Which they are. So Gorillaz/Muse are a big headliners despite what you may think.

I disagree some only because many many people on this board have said "I don't care what the headliners are, I go just xxxx or just because". They will buy tickets no matter what. Coachella and bonnaroo are the only major fests to give out there bill so I expect to see Muse pop up a number of more times. I guess we will see. Gorillaz, in like 3 years people will be like huh, who played that year. Oh yea. cr*****

canexplain
02-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Sounds like Ron is just upset that so many people hate Bonnaroo's line-up this year. Rabid defender.

No dude, they both suck. cr*****

rage patton
02-11-2010, 10:51 AM
The only festival where I have seen all the headliners was Sasquatch 08. REM, The Cure, The Flaming Lips. Great weekend.

Gorillaz, in like 3 years people will be like huh, who played that year. Oh yea. cr*****

Strongly have to disagree with you here Ron. People have been saying this about Gorillaz since their first album. They are a schtick, a one trick pony, they have no lasting power, they will be forgotten about, and stuff like this. 9 years later, their third album is highly anticipated and they are headlining the last day of one of the US's biggest music festival and for a lot of people they are the most anticipated set of the weekend. No one will forget this Gorillaz performance.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-11-2010, 10:53 AM
I disagree some only because many many people on this board have said "I don't care what the headliners are, I go just xxxx or just because". They will buy tickets no matter what. Coachella and bonnaroo are the only major fests to give out there bill so I expect to see Muse pop up a number of more times. I guess we will see. Gorillaz, in like 3 years people will be like huh, who played that year. Oh yea. cr*****

For people on the board sure Headliners don't matter, but the board isn't the consensus of the public. Also, I think its very "stupidly" (HA!) to say what people will be talking about after the Gorillaz show in 3 years. The same could have been said for any act that ever headlined or played at Coachella. "Who the fuck is Daft Punk anyways?"

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
02-11-2010, 10:54 AM
The only festival where I have seen all the headliners was Sasquatch 08. REM, The Cure, The Flaming Lips. Great weekend.

man, the more you bring it up, the more I think I should have gone to Sasquatch that year.

TomAz
02-11-2010, 10:55 AM
I like it when Coachella headliners suck. Less traffic when I leave.

Mr. Dylanja
02-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Rach, Suz, TITS OR GTFO

luckyface
02-11-2010, 10:59 AM

Yeah, I would love to see the risks they are talking about. Dave "I tour every city every year and have played Bonnaroo 7 times" Matthews, King of "Every festival the last 5 years" Leon, and JayZ (who is only hitting up every festival) are risky?? My ass that is risky.

ShyGuy75
02-11-2010, 10:59 AM
see, this is the first year i've actually wanted to see all the headliners since 2004.

does randy know about this?

faxman75
02-11-2010, 11:02 AM
That interview is funny.

Isn't this almost exactly what Paul T. said about the Killers last year?

It has to be gratifying to watch Kings Of Leon move from a tent a few years ago to the main stage this year.
I get real excited when we start thinking of Bonnaroo as a great marketing platform that can really help artists get in front of a lot of different fans, even beyond the physical event, what happens those four days. How can we continue that conversation throughout the rest of the year? When we look at bands like Kings Of Leon, the fact they played the tent stage to maybe 1,000 people and now they’re headlining, that’s a really exciting thing. Hopefully that can happen more. I do think Bonnaroo has the power to help artists and artist development, and that’s the bigger vision.

What a terrible interview. Any of us could have asked better and far more interesting questions. Also, I agree with Ivy regarding this lineup not being an inventive new direction but rather tired and uninspired.

chairmenmeow47
02-11-2010, 11:04 AM
does randy know about this?

yes he does. he's ok with it though because he knows i'm going to be getting low like whoa for the jigga man and i'm sure that's enjoyment enough for him :p

ShyGuy75
02-11-2010, 11:17 AM
yes he does. he's ok with it though because he knows i'm going to be getting low like whoa for the jigga man and i'm sure that's enjoyment enough for him :p

haha.

while that is acceptable, there is no excuse for going to the first 45 minutes of muse.

also, a picture of randy with jigga in the background please.

softbulletin
02-11-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm just curious has Paul Tollett ever said anything like this.

Well, I always like to pay less.

Bonnaroo is not doing a good job of covering their asses right now.

liquidsnake28
02-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Hmm, 311 is no longer on the lineup. That's one tiny step in the right direction.

Rachelll0ve
02-11-2010, 11:59 AM

Wha wha whaaaaa. I JUST moved to LA from NY in Sept... Where in NY were you comin from!? So happy to have another roo-kid/New Yorker on the boards hahaha YAYYYY SUZI!

Rachelll0ve
02-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Welcome aboard! What are you looking forward to seeing at Coachella?

For sure I am STOKED about seeing the Gorillaz and what will go down with all their hologram technology (I'm a nerd...), Muse, LCD Soundsystem, Proxy, HOT CHIP, Beach House (for the first time!), DE LA SOUL, Phoenix, Pretty Lights, Passion Pit (Gotta rep the hometown hero, Mike Angelakos), Deadmau5, Echo and the Bunnymen....

man, I'm getting too excited. I'm just really really looking forward to seeing music in a brand new place. As nervous as I was about switching up festivals this year, I'm glad this lineup is the first Coachella I'll be attending!

canexplain
02-11-2010, 12:11 PM
I think you are making my point a bit. Rage, yea 10 years later people are talking about them. 5 years ago they had a big selling cd and grammy nominations to boot, why did it take 5 years to get them on stage as a headliner at a major fest. We had Gorillaz when I was young. They were called the Archies. Daft Punk. Yea I saw them 4 or 5 times that year they hit all the fests and it was the coachella performance to end all. ask most people who aren't fan boys of the indie music or music festivals who DP is and they will say huh, who? Don't get caught in the hype. cr*****

BlackSwan
02-11-2010, 12:13 PM
For sure I am STOKED about seeing the Gorillaz and what will go down with all their hologram technology (I'm a nerd...),

There will most likely be no hologram technology involved in their show.

Rachelll0ve
02-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Rach, Suz, TITS OR GTFO

GOOD SIR, I am a LADY, and I should be TREATED as so... In the future, please Private Message all tits requests.

thx.

HandBanana
02-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Rage, yea 10 years later people are talking about them. 5 years ago they had a big selling cd and grammy nominations to boot, why did it take 5 years to get them on stage as a headliner at a major fest.

Um... Coachella had them at their first peak in 99 and had the reunion before anyone else in 07.

We had Gorillaz when I was young. They were called the Archies.

That would be true IF the fact that Gorillaz are toons were the most interesting thing about them. It's not, so you're wrong.

ask most people who aren't fan boys of the indie music or music festivals who DP is and they will say huh, who? Don't get caught in the hype.

Which of course is why they headlined everywhere and are scoring the Tron2 soundtrack for Disney and...oh yeah, theres that whole thing about them basically setting the tone for late aughts dance music.

Oh and theres no way Im quoting that obnoxious c asterisk asterisk asterisk asterisk bullshit. Just seeing that nonsense at the end of every. single. fucking. post. hurts my ears.

Now back to the frisbee golf course with ya....

Rachelll0ve
02-11-2010, 12:18 PM
There will most likely be no hologram technology involved in their show.

....I'm not mad. I thought I would be. But I'm not. Still Gorillaz

HandBanana
02-11-2010, 12:19 PM
GOOD SIR, I am a LADY, and I should be TREATED as so... In the future, please Private Message all tits requests.

thx.

BlackSwan will blast ya his nipz depending on how much your car is worth.

Gribbz
02-11-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm happy that there will be no holograms.

TomAz
02-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Wha wha whaaaaa. I JUST moved to LA from NY in Sept... Where in NY were you comin from!? So happy to have another roo-kid/New Yorker on the boards hahaha YAYYYY SUZI!

http://fusible.com/uploads/mtv-jersey-shore-girls.jpg

BlackSwan
02-11-2010, 12:26 PM
I think there is a chance there may be some 3D action going on. The only problem with that is everyone would need to be given 3D glasses.

canexplain
02-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Um... Coachella had them at their first peak in 99 and had the reunion before anyone else in 07.

That would be true IF the fact that Gorillaz are toons were the most interesting thing about them. It's not, so you're wrong.

Which of course is why they headlined everywhere and are scoring the Tron2 soundtrack for Disney and...oh yeah, theres that whole thing about them basically setting the tone for late aughts dance music.

Oh and theres no way Im quoting that obnoxious c asterisk asterisk asterisk asterisk bullshit. Just seeing that nonsense at the end of every. single. fucking. post. hurts my ears.

Now back to the frisbee golf course with ya....

Who are you talking about in your first sentence?

Yea they headlined a bunch of fests. hummm now where are they now, do they only come out every 5 years.

The Archies: Sugar, sugar, ... do you know that song ... now ask the next 10 people you know to hum a Gorillaz tune. Or better, wait about 15 or 20 years and ask that.

and if you don't like my ********************

then don't waste your time reading what I say ..... cr****************

sbessiso
02-11-2010, 12:29 PM

Are they a Roo regular though? I thought they only stunk up the mainstage once (07)

imagine if they got black keys, tenacious d and the xx for late night sets

amyzzz
02-11-2010, 12:33 PM
imagine if they got black keys, tenacious d and the xx for late night sets
That sounds pretty good.

liquidsnake28
02-11-2010, 12:40 PM
KOL played at least one more, 04 I think.

Just because you really like the Black Keys doesn't mean they would be appropriate for late night in any way. Late nights this year are probably going to be Flips, LCD, Hall + Chromeo, Bassnectar, Lotus, Deadmau5, The Melvins, maybe Gwar.

The superjam will definitely be back. It was never supposed to go but last year it just didn't work out for the artists schedules. I'm thinking it should be Jack White on guitar, Patrick from Black Keys on drums, maybe Claypool on bass. Jeff Beck in there would be cool too.

sbessiso
02-11-2010, 12:43 PM
why wouldnt amazing garage rock blues be perfect in a tent in the middle of the night?

liquidsnake28
02-11-2010, 12:48 PM
because they would be taking up a slot that acts who are known for having impressive light shows should have been given

rage patton
02-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Ummm... I think The xx are practically garaunteed a late night set.

liquidsnake28
02-11-2010, 12:49 PM
That's what we all thought about Animal Collective last year.

luckyface
02-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Has Ron always been this cantankerous, or did that disgruntled hippie meme send him over the edge?

sbessiso
02-11-2010, 12:52 PM
because they would be taking up a slot that acts who are known for having impressive light shows should have been given

thats a stupid reason. stop fucking talking like youre the only roo expert here. i dont care if youve been to more, ive been going to the last 3. i know my shit, plus i wasnt even saying black keys were getting a late night slot i was just playing with the idea

amyzzz
02-11-2010, 12:52 PM
I think TomAz singlehandedly sent him over the edge.

apostle2
02-11-2010, 12:54 PM
I think the latenight structure will be different this year. I don't really have it totally formed yet, but I think preheadliner > headliner > big latenights will all look a little different. KoL, DMB, and Jay Z aren't getting 3 hour unopposed sets, and Weezer and Tenacious D should both probably be after dark....

and we already know FLips are latenight which stage

Rachelll0ve
02-11-2010, 12:55 PM
The superjam will definitely be back. It was never supposed to go but last year it just didn't work out for the artists schedules. I'm thinking it should be Jack White on guitar, Patrick from Black Keys on drums, maybe Claypool on bass. Jeff Beck in there would be cool too.

The Superjam was Phish and Bruce for a minute. Sunday night. And a mini Jam at Moe on Saturday.

chairmenmeow47
02-11-2010, 12:55 PM
The Archies: Sugar, sugar, ... do you know that song ... now ask the next 10 people you know to hum a Gorillaz tune. Or better, wait about 15 or 20 years and ask that.

right, because feel good inc was so underplayed.

hawkingvsreeve
02-11-2010, 12:57 PM

thx.

PM sent.

stinkbutt
02-11-2010, 12:57 PM
right, because feel good inc was so underplayed.

or Dare jesus you couldn't walk ten feet without hearing that song being played everywhere that summer

Gribbz
02-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Nobody knows who Gorillaz is guys. The Archies on the other hand...

faxman75
02-11-2010, 01:01 PM
ask most people who aren't fan boys of the indie music or music festivals who DP is and they will say huh, who? Don't get caught in the hype. cr*****

I have friends who almost strictly listen to classic rock and and some 80's synth pop and their two favorite bands are NIN and Rick Springfield. They introduced me to Daft Punk. Daft Punk is pretty huge and even people who don't know the name would instantly recognize something like Da Funk or Around the World..

amyzzz
02-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Set down the crack pipe, cr****.

liquidsnake28
02-11-2010, 01:12 PM
thats a stupid reason.

The quality of the light show is a stupid reason to judge who should get a day or night set? Are you serious?

sbessiso
02-11-2010, 01:16 PM
The quality of the light show is a stupid reason to judge who should get a day or night set? Are you serious?

Are you going to sit there and tell me that every single act that got a roo late-night set had a crazy light show?

softbulletin
02-11-2010, 01:21 PM
The rumor is Black Keys late night.

canexplain
02-11-2010, 01:22 PM
I have friends who almost strictly listen to classic rock and and some 80's synth pop and their two favorite bands are NIN and Rick Springfield. They introduced me to Daft Punk. Daft Punk is pretty huge and even people who don't know the name would instantly recognize something like Da Funk or Around the World..

Yea and I can humm the song from the Andy Griffith Show but most people could not name who did that song or anything about it. And would you like them to headline coachella even if you knew who they were (or if they were alive) just because "they are big and everyone knows who they are". You can add this to my racist profile. French music never lasts for more then a few years. We will forget DP in a short time. Name all of your favorite French artists.

Has Ron always been this cantankerous

No but I just got tired of trying to placate everyone.

cr*****

BTW Faxy, is NIN classic rock or 80's synth pop

Mr. Dylanja
02-11-2010, 01:22 PM
The Black Keys would be perfect late night, I'd sure as hell watch them over almost any "light show act" on the line up.

Timmeh's just being his normal hippie, hipster, elitist self.

chairmenmeow47
02-11-2010, 01:24 PM
around the world by daft punk makes people dance 13 years later. they sure as hell haven't been forgotten.

canexplain
02-11-2010, 01:33 PM
around the world by daft punk makes people dance 13 years later. they sure as hell haven't been forgotten.

And people still listen to Brahms and he has been dead for over a 100 years and most people would not recogonize who did the song just that they know it. So.

Amy I said this before: I don't do white drugs thus no crack even if you were kidding.

cr*****

stinkbutt
02-11-2010, 01:35 PM
discriminating with his drugs too

rage patton
02-11-2010, 01:36 PM
French music never lasts for more then a few years.

Sorry Ron but... Edith Piaf?

liquidsnake28
02-11-2010, 01:37 PM
He may not like the black artists but he loves the black drugs.

canexplain
02-11-2010, 01:37 PM
I said "should." If a band already has a great light show that enhances their performance then it doesn't make any sense to put them during the day. We already know Flips and EDM will be taking up a good deal of the time and there's a few other acts that seem like they will be late night and black keys aren't one of them.

You can't win this, we have been over this time after time. I will say though :) if lights don't make a difference, and it's all about the music then it wouldn't matter where a band played either or how the audience was. A band could play in a fucking telephone booth with 3 80 year old homeless people watching and , well no that wouldn't make any difference in the performance at all would it .... cr****

chairmenmeow47
02-11-2010, 01:38 PM
but there's a difference between people not really recognizing the name of your band vs. people who have no idea of what music you produced. if you say have you heard of the gorillaz and someone goes "who?" you singing feel good inc. immediately triggers their memory and they know who you are talking about right away even if they don't know the name of the band. both the gorillaz and daft punk generally do not perform as themselves as they have performed as holligrams & in helmets. they also aren't the types to plaster themselves all over the cover of US magazine and let their publicist slip out tidbits of info on who they are sleeping with. therefore it's perfectly reasonable that people recognize the music but not the men behind the music, you dig?

faxman75
02-11-2010, 01:38 PM
BTW Faxy, is NIN classic rock or 80's synth pop

Have you ever heard Pretty Hate Machine? It's 80's synth pop.

liquidsnake28
02-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Well I never said they always get it right. They really messed up the late nights last year. According to softbulletin black keys late night is a rumor and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. Almost all of us disagreed with who they had playing nights last year other than NIN.

rage patton
02-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Animal Collective and Of Montreal should have been late night sets. Yeasayer should have played during the day.

liquidsnake28
02-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Exactly.

canexplain
02-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Have you ever heard Pretty Hate Machine? It's 80's synth pop.

Can you rephrase that so I can quote you as saying that NIN is 80's synth pop.

Rage you want to put Edith Piaf in a poll and see how many people know who she is (without looking her up which is what I had to do)

No I don't DIG. So if it's all helmets and cartoons and we only care about the music, then it shouldn't matter either WHO plays the music at coachella right? this goes against the cover band discussion though because if a band can cover a song just like the original band, who cares who is playing the song. Paul could save a bunch of money by just putting up a giant jukebox and then we can all just put in a dollar and have whoever we want at the fest ..... fuck.....................

Lastly, you guys sometimes dog me about my age. Well I have friends of all age groups just like you guys, but most of your friends are probably around the same age. Therefore, when you talk about what your friends say about music, remember who your friends are.l
cr*****

xavierfah
02-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Great new Coachella playlist @ http://wp.me/pL8mh-4D check it out!!!

liquidsnake28
02-11-2010, 01:53 PM
No I don't DIG.

Hahahaha

liquidsnake28
02-11-2010, 01:56 PM
The Superjam was Phish and Bruce for a minute. Sunday night. And a mini Jam at Moe on Saturday.

I mean where it actually says Superjam on the schedule and they reserve a tent for an hour or so for it. Guest appearances/sit ins whatever you call them are always common. Who showed up at moe? I only caught the very end and they were killing it.

sbessiso
According to softbulletin black keys late night is a rumor and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

....what?

chairmenmeow47
my bad for thinking you could understand logic.

and you don't know shit about my friends old man.

liquidsnake28
02-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Did you actually read anything I said Salah? I said the lights should be a determining factor in who plays at night, I never said it is. We all agreed they made bad choices last year as Josh just said. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they fuck up in that way again this year.

sbessiso
02-11-2010, 02:01 PM
thats Mr. Bessiso to you.

HandBanana
02-11-2010, 02:03 PM
oooops wrong thread

liquidsnake28
02-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Having said that, if I go and they do play late night then I'll probably watch. I'd watch that over Flips DSOTM, bassnectar or deadmau5 and some others. However if it was between say Melvins or Black Keys late night, I'd rather it be Melvins, or Isis, or Claypool, etc.

sbessiso
02-11-2010, 02:06 PM
black keys and The D late night would be enough to warrant my attendance

canexplain
02-11-2010, 02:07 PM
my bad for thinking you could understand logic.

and you don't know shit about my friends old man.

I didn't see any logic so I don't know what you are talking about.
I don't know much about your friends but I know more about your friends
then you know about mine.
Randy can argue much better then you. You need lessons if you want to keep up.

cr*****

liquidsnake28
02-11-2010, 02:08 PM
I'll probably wait all the way until they release the schedule to even decide if I'm going.

chairmenmeow47
02-11-2010, 02:15 PM
blah blah blah i'm an irrelevant old hippie blah blah blah

stinkbutt
02-11-2010, 02:18 PM
God I keep forgetting how great the metal this year is

Clutch into Melvins

Baroness into Isis

would be epic late night sets

caco0283
02-11-2010, 02:20 PM
You can't win this, we have been over this time after time. I will say though :) if lights don't make a difference, and it's all about the music then it wouldn't matter where a band played either or how the audience was. A band could play in a fucking telephone booth with 3 80 year old homeless people watching and , well no that wouldn't make any difference in the performance at all would it .... cr****

Ron what show did you go to last week with your two buddies??

liquidsnake28
02-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Clutch is always a really good time. One of those bands you can't always count on to deliver.

stinkbutt
02-11-2010, 02:24 PM
One of those bands you can't always count on to deliver.

What do you mean? I've seen all of them but the Melvins and they're all great live and I've only heard good things about the Melvins live especially now with 2 drummers

liquidsnake28
02-11-2010, 02:35 PM
I was just talking about Clutch, shouldn't have made it a new sentence. I don't doubt that all four are consistently good, they're just the only one I've seen multiple times. I saw the Melvins for my first time recently and yes, they are still awesome.

rage patton
02-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Rage you want to put Edith Piaf in a poll and see how many people know who she is (without looking her up which is what I had to do)

They just made a movie about her. The acress won best acrtress for playing Edith Piaf. Whether or not a bunch of jack-off on the internet know who she is or not doesn't make a difference as to whether or not Eith Piaf's music has stood the test of time. And it has. So I was just using her as one example of French music that lasted more than a couple years.

faxman75
02-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Can you rephrase that so I can quote you as saying that NIN is 80's synth pop.

NIN were synthpop in the 80's. It's a fact. You don't need me to rephrase anything. They wished they could be as good as the Pet Shop Boys and Erasure, fortunately they became better than both and ultimately defined a genre that barely existed.

amyzzz
02-11-2010, 02:50 PM
hrm. 1989.

canexplain
02-11-2010, 02:51 PM
They just made a movie about her. The acress won best acrtress for playing Edith Piaf. Whether or not a bunch of jack-off on the internet doesn't make a difference as to whether or not Eith Piaf's music has stood the test of time. And it has. So I was just using her as one example of French music that lasted more than a couple years.

Point, I was just putting it in context with DP. I would say her music will outlast DP but then who knows eh. cr*****
Ron what show did you go to last week with your two buddies??
I forgot if it was Daft Punk or Justice.

faxman75
02-11-2010, 02:53 PM
I was pretty much only listening to hair metal at that point. My favorite bands were Poison, Motley, Crue, Aerosmith and Bon Jovi and AC/DC.

Mr. Dylanja
02-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Clutch is always a really good time. One of those bands you can't always count on to deliver.

TOO.MANY.DRUGS.

stinkbutt
02-11-2010, 02:55 PM
How is it Faxman wasn't mentioned more often in the boardies with worst taste thread?

Mr. Dylanja
02-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Closet Juggalo

faxman75
How is it Faxman wasn't mentioned more often in the boardies with worst taste thread?

Could be because I don't listen to the same music anymore. My favorite bands today are along the lines of

The National
Wilco
Nine Inch Nails
St. Vincent
Portishead
Massive Attack
Outkast
Pink Floyd
Prince

Stuff like that. So you can say I used to have the worst taste ever with the hair metal and ICP but to be honest, hair metal was pretty fucking popular so I don't think it was that uncool to love L.A. Guns and Faster Pussycat in 1990.

sbessiso
AKA the lets bash sbessiso for 16 pages before moving on to someone else thread

not that it bothered me or anything

amyzzz
02-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Salah, your shitty taste in music is still a lot better than the music taste of most of the people I know (off the board).

Mr. Dylanja
02-11-2010, 03:01 PM

You really took it like a man.

canexplain
02-11-2010, 03:05 PM
hrm. 1989.

Oh he did say "the 80's" so since we are so picky, it was put out then. Faxy, you do think that Head Like a Hole is Pet Shop Boys sounding and then NIN got better and changed. Wow. I learn something new everyday in music. Now when I hear West End Girls I might get NIN and PSB's mixed up because they sound the same. Darn .... cr*****

sbessiso
02-11-2010, 03:06 PM
You really took it like a man.

you havent seen anything yet

MissingPerson
02-11-2010, 03:06 PM

This made me feel bad.

stinkbutt
02-11-2010, 03:46 PM

I don't think I said anything about you in that thread; but I thought for sure Paul was gonna get more shit than you

PJandBompton
02-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Oh he did say "the 80's" so since we are so picky, it was put out then. Faxy, you do think that Head Like a Hole is Pet Shop Boys sounding and then NIN got better and changed. Wow. I learn something new everyday in music. Now when I hear West End Girls I might get NIN and PSB's mixed up because they sound the same. Darn .... cr*****

West End Girls huh?

SoulDischarge
02-11-2010, 03:50 PM
http://memegenerator.net/Instances/647/Discrimination-Hippie-THE-ARCHIES-HEADLINER-MATERIAL.jpg

faxman75
02-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Oh he did say "the 80's" so since we are so picky, it was put out then. Faxy, you do think that Head Like a Hole is Pet Shop Boys sounding and then NIN got better and changed. Wow. I learn something new everyday in music.

I don't know where you learned that Ron, but it wasn't from me. I never said Head Like a Hole sounded like the Pet Shop Boys. What we have here is a failure to communicate.

For instance just because Alice Cooper and Marilyn Manson both fall under the "shock rock" category doesn't mean Schools Out sounds like Marilyn Manson.