PDA

View Full Version : Board Members with Best and Worst Taste in Music

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

TomAz
10-27-2009, 08:46 AM
cuz you all are boring today and I'm itching for a fight.

List 3 of each.

Best
bmack
Soul Discharge
sydaud

* h.m. to bballarl who is no longer on the board.

Worst
Passive Theory
amyzzz
sbessio

* h.m. to anyone with "daft" in their screen name.

Have at it.

canexplain
10-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Maybe for a couple of best votes:

C Dub
Supre

and yes I agree Bmack

cr****

amyzzz
10-27-2009, 08:49 AM
I already know I have the "worst" taste on here. No fight from me.

TommyboyUNM
10-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Oh, Tom.

Best

Alchemy
Bmack
JSam67

Worst

kingsblend420
Headstruck
sbessiso

The "worst" list is much easier to come up with, or harder depending on your perspective, because there is such a vast pool of people who qualify.

seandlr
10-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Best:
Bmack
Mountmccabe
Wmgaretx
Worst:
Sbessio

betao
10-27-2009, 08:59 AM
this will be kinda cool.

algunz
10-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Best:
Me

Worst:
Me

amyzzz
10-27-2009, 09:02 AM
best:
TCHY Marco

uh, that's all I got.

MassiveChemicalPunk
10-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Best
Alchemy
Sonicifyouwantit
boarderwoozel

Worst
sbessiso
scoop49r
sbessiso

liquidsnake28
10-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Haha, Salah's going to be on everyone's worst list. I'm surprised there's no votes for Sushy or paulb yet.

captncrzy
10-27-2009, 09:09 AM
I was going to chime in about Paul, which would be hard because I totally love the guy. But goddamn, Blink-182?

TomAz
10-27-2009, 09:11 AM
There are a lot of pussies on this thread. Post your lists or get the fuck out.

liquidsnake28
10-27-2009, 09:12 AM
I was going to chime in about Paul, which would be hard because I totally love the guy. But goddamn, Blink-182?

Blink 182 >>>> Limp Bizkit

captncrzy
10-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Don't make me hurt you

paulb

say what? I expect to see my name come up alot in this thread...

RedThom
believe it or not, I can't remember most of your people's taste in music. except paulb and his tested love for the Beastie Boys

malcolmjamalawesome
10-27-2009, 09:14 AM
I don't really know what anyone's tastes in music are other than Salah. His, clearly, are putrid.

RedThom
10-27-2009, 09:15 AM
I don't really know what anyone's tastes in music are other than Salah. His, clearly, are putrid.

how could I forget about the whole brendan flowers month of 2009? Shit drove me bananas.

MassiveChemicalPunk
10-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Everyone remembers Salah's music taste for one reason: The Killers.

That's enought reason to be in the bottom 3.

amyzzz
10-27-2009, 09:16 AM
worst:
ragey josh
paulb

malcolmjamalawesome
10-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Well the thing is, and I think Randy said it best once, when Salah talks about why he likes music/musicians, he tends to do it in the same way Perez Hilton does: He discusses how they dress and their attitude and their appearance, but I can't say I've ever seen him really talk about why the music itself particularly appeals to him.

betao
10-27-2009, 09:18 AM
hmm.

best:
luckyface
orbit
donaldj

worst
sbessio
(like tom said) anyone with "daft" in their name
anyone who thinks DP is the greatest live electronic show ever.

HandBanana
I actually find sbessio's "bad" taste really endearing for some reason.

I give that dude a Lifetime Pass for whatever wackness strikes his fancy.

JebusLives
Best:
Obviously I like the music that I like the best. Most of you have pretty similar or complimentary taste, so this is hard to answer.

Worst:
Sbessiso, easy. I understand he's gay-gay-gay, so I expect Madonna and whatnot, but DAMN this guy has some bad bad taste. And he doesn't like Tool.

seandlr
10-27-2009, 09:19 AM
worst:
ragey josh
paulb

RP? Why? He would be in my top 10 if their were such a list.

malcolmjamalawesome
10-27-2009, 09:19 AM
hmm.

This most certainly includes me.

malcolmjamalawesome
10-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Sbessiso, easy. I understand he's gay-gay-gay, so I expect Madonna and whatnot, but DAMN this guy has some bad bad taste. And he doesn't like Tool.

Being gay isn't a valid excuse to like shitty music.

betao
10-27-2009, 09:20 AM
This most certainly includes me.

You might be an exception to the rule.

malcolmjamalawesome
10-27-2009, 09:21 AM
You might be an exception to the rule.

I'm probably not. I'd say the overwhelming bulk of what I listen to is Cobrasnake Electro.

I'm just surprised to see someone fault one for thinking DP's live show is the best electronic live show.

EDIT: Further, I don't think it's relevant to tastes in music. It's relevant to tastes in live shows.

MassiveChemicalPunk
10-27-2009, 09:22 AM
hmm.

worst
sbessio

Punk doesn't count right?

RedThom
10-27-2009, 09:22 AM

we know you have variety

TomAz
10-27-2009, 09:23 AM
RP? Why? He would be in my top 10 if their were such a list.

yeah, josh's got fine taste. Amy'z dizlike is therefore natural. Plus she knows that Josh is a really nice guy and won't make her cry.

betao
10-27-2009, 09:23 AM

It's canceled out by the "Massive" and "Chemical" in your case.

amyzzz
10-27-2009, 09:25 AM
We're going by whose tastes align with ours, so that is how I chose.

hawkingvsreeve
10-27-2009, 09:25 AM
As this is completely subjective I will have to go with those who are closest to my tastes.

Most like mine:

Adam
Becca
John

Least like mine:

Salah
Paul
Lee

MissingPerson
10-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Being gay isn't a valid excuse to like shitty music.

Exactly. Gay people have ears too. And if the gay community as a whole wants true equality, they have to take responsibility for them.

That includes a sincere written apology for their part in Lady Gaga's initial and continued success.

Never Forget.

RedThom
10-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Exactly. Gay people have ears too. And if the gay community as a whole wants true equality, they have to take responsibility for them.

That includes a sincere written apology, for their part in Lady Gaga's initial and continued success. Never Forget.

Win

betao
10-27-2009, 09:27 AM
I'm probably not. I'd say the overwhelming bulk of what I listen to is Cobrasnake Electro.

I'm just surprised to see someone fault one for thinking DP's live show is the best electronic live show.

EDIT: Further, I don't think it's relevant to tastes in music. It's relevant to tastes in live shows.

It may be relevant to live shows, but it reflects upon music taste IMO. I'd really like to know how many different varieties of EDM people listen to when they claim Daft is the greatest ever. Daft is too cheesy and too generic to be considered the "greatest" ever (again, my opinion).

But i'm going to stop right there. This is an old debate that I have been in many a times, and I dont want it to happen again.

lets talk about other things. happy things. even plur things. maybe.

paulb
we're still friends I hope Brandon...

BlackSwan
I am going to do mine one at a time for maximum emphasis.

Worst:
Tommy

amyzzz
10-27-2009, 09:28 AM
I :pulse Lady GaGA!! So there you go. I can be on your worst lists too.

betao

That includes a sincere written apology for their part in Lady Gaga's initial and continued success.

Never Forget.

fucking post of the week.

hawkingvsreeve
In reference to Paul-

Sure. And I am not saying the people on my least list like bad music, its just that we agree the least on music.

malcolmjamalawesome
10-27-2009, 09:29 AM
It may be relevant to live shows, but it reflects upon music taste IMO. I'd really like to know how many different varieties of EDM people listen to when they claim Daft is the greatest ever. Daft is too cheesy and too generic to be considered the "greatest" ever (again, my opinion).

But i'm going to stop right there. This is an old debate that I have been in many a times, and I dont want it to happen again.

lets talk about other things. happy things. even plur things. maybe.

Well, hold on now, you said that people who think Daft Punk's live show is the best electronic live show have bad taste in music. I'm not going to contest your "cheesy and generic" claims, but I still don't see how that, in turn, means someone who enjoyed their live show more than watching another electronic artist perform live has bad tastes in music.

It's completely plausible that someone could not particularly enjoy listening to Daft Punk at home (like me) but have totally had a great experience upon seeing their live show.

canexplain
10-27-2009, 09:30 AM
I did think Tom would put my name on the worst just to fight with me lol .... cr****

malcolmjamalawesome
10-27-2009, 09:30 AM
I also think mittens4kittens has bad taste.

amyzzz
10-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Daft Punk is good cleaning music.

MassiveChemicalPunk

Pokerface? Really?

RedThom
Daft Punk is good cleaning music.

so is Royksopp's "Melody A.M."

TommyboyUNM

Worst:
Tommy

You motherfucking cocksucker.

Is it cause of Gorillaz?

Donaldj
hmm.
best:
donaldj

wow, thanks.

rage patton
10-27-2009, 09:33 AM
worst:
ragey josh

:nono

Last time I help you out of a NIN pit.

Just kidding. And it did make me laugh how you wrote "ragey josh"

algunz
10-27-2009, 09:33 AM
What was the guys name that was all into 90's grunge and rock? I love the music too, but that was all he seemed to talk about.

RedThom
10-27-2009, 09:34 AM
What was the guys name that was all into 90's grunge and rock? I love the music too, but that was all he seemed to talk about.

erik?

hawkingvsreeve
Erik.

hawkingvsreeve
hahahaha.

Good times.

algunz
10-27-2009, 09:35 AM
No, he was not who I was thinking of.

menikmati
10-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble but I don't listen to Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, STP, and other 90's grunge.

amyzzz
10-27-2009, 09:37 AM
:nono

Last time I help you out of a NIN pit.

You see, Tom? YOU SEE? He's not all kittens and lollipops.

algunz
10-27-2009, 09:38 AM
I know, Erik. Who was that guy? He raved about Sublime and Pearl Jam. I told him he should go to the Hootennanay (sp?)

Courtney
10-27-2009, 09:40 AM
I have no idea. Back when I paid attention to the music part of this board, I very much enjoyed selections by FOI and Yablo, so I would say that my taste is closely in line with both of theirs.

I'm sure there are many many board members whose taste I do not know off the top of my head, but of those outspoken folks who I do, I find that mine is significantly different from Salah and PassiveTheory. Although Last.fm tells me that my musical compatibility with LuckyFace is nonexistent also, so that's something.

betao
Well, hold on now, you said that people who think Daft Punk's live show is the best electronic live show have bad taste in music. I'm not going to contest your "cheesy and generic" claims, but I still don't see how that, in turn, means someone who enjoyed their live show more than watching another electronic artist perform live has bad tastes in music.

It's completely plausible that someone could not particularly enjoy listening to Daft Punk at home (like me) but have totally had a great experience upon seeing their live show.

with the way I said it, its not always the case. but more often than not, people who claim DP is the greatest live EDM show ever generally don't listen to much more than DP in terms of EDM. I dont see how people can make that claim when they havent even heard of certain other acts that will not be named. I think it casts reflection upon one's own musical taste when they dare make a claim like that. Bandwagon.

But like I said - I really dont want to debate this. It's all been said and done before numerous times. If you really want to though, drop me a PM. not in here.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
Sorry to burst your bubble but I don't listen to Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, STP, and other 90's grunge.

why the fuck not?!?!

TomAz
10-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Brandon & Courtney: serious wusses.

malcolmjamalawesome
10-27-2009, 09:42 AM
with the way I said it, its not always the case. but more often than not, people who claim DP is the greatest live EDM show ever generally don't listen to much more than DP in terms of EDM. I dont see how people can make that claim when they havent even heard of certain other acts that will not be named. I think it casts reflection upon one's own musical taste when they dare make a claim like that. Bandwagon.

But like I said - I really dont want to debate this. It's all been said and done before numerous times. If you really want to though, drop me a PM. not in here.

I will not be PM'ing you. I think I would have just preferred it been phrased as "People who think Daft Punk is the best electronic artist". However, you are still my best friend and I owe you a lemonade.

luckyface
10-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Best:
Orbit
Jazzz
Betao
Pretty much all of the IDM & Downtempo Lounge regulars

Worst:
Salah (Just God awful!)
Paulb (Sorry Paul, even though you like some good ones, you love some major clunkers, too)
Sushy

locachica73
10-27-2009, 09:43 AM

OK I will be the first to admit that I have some pretty boring taste in music. I never even know half the people/groups you all talk about. But this right here... I am sorry but that woman makes me want to punch people in the face. I actually hate her more than fergie which is saying a lot.

luckyface
10-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Although Last.fm tells me that my musical compatibility with LuckyFace is nonexistent also, so that's something.

Hahahaha. It's a shame. I think you would like some of the stuff I listen to regularly. And I am sure I would like some of yours, as well. But yes, I don't think I am that incompatible with anyone else on my list.

malcolmjamalawesome
Best:
Orbit
Jazzz
Betao

Worst:
Salah (Just God awful!)
Paulb (Sorry Paul, even though you like some good ones, you love some major clunkers, too)
Sushy

I need to start hanging in that lounge.

amyzzz
OK I will be the first to admit that I have some pretty boring taste in music. I never even know half the people/groups you all talk about. But this right here... I am sorry but that woman makes me want to punch people in the face. I actually hate her more than fergie which is saying a lot.
Ah hell. I should've stayed in the closet.

BlackSwan
10-27-2009, 09:46 AM
You motherfucking cocksucker.

Is it cause of Gorillaz?

And David Bowie.

algunz
10-27-2009, 09:46 AM
That's why she wears the masks to protect and hide the face. Although I must admit after the MtV Awards I was enjoying some of her music, but that was short Lived.

luckyface
10-27-2009, 09:47 AM
I need to start hanging in that lounge.

Yes, yes you do. Good suggestions in there, and always pleasant conversations.

malcolmjamalawesome
10-27-2009, 09:49 AM
For your health.

menikmati
10-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Every single board member who is on my Last.FM friends list (Barbara, rocke, lama, hannah, john etc..) are all rated 'very high' in their music compatibility with me, except you Courtney, you're only medium.

TomAz
10-27-2009, 09:52 AM
My hopes for this thread weren't all that high, but I'm disappointed yet still.

malcolmjamalawesome
10-27-2009, 09:54 AM
A man defeated.

TommyboyUNM
10-27-2009, 09:55 AM
And David Bowie.

I like David Bowie, just not as much as everyone else it seems. His voice can rub me the wrong way sometimes, but I find most of his stuff to be pretty enjoyable. I listened to Ziggy Stardust again this morning, actually. I want him to play so you all will go your wishes. I'm sure I'd check him out too.

I still like Sublime, though, so you should give me shit for that instead.

amyzzz
10-27-2009, 09:57 AM
I don't mind Sublime, but I don't own any of it. Hum along to the radio.

Courtney
Every single board member who is on my Last.FM friends list (Barbara, rocke, lama, hannah, john etc..) are all rated 'very high' in their music compatibility with me, except you Courtney, you're only medium.

Last.fm knows that I am burned out on Nirvana and is taking its revenge.

malcolmjamalawesome
I find still liking Sublime to be no more offensive than ever liking Sublime.

feather
10-27-2009, 09:58 AM
For the electronic genre I look up to Orbit, I always have. He knows.

Courtney
10-27-2009, 09:59 AM
My hopes for this thread weren't all that high, but I'm disappointed yet still.

Screw you Tom and your shitty thread for wanting to start a fight. You're a bottom-feeding shit-stirrer who doesn't have anything better to do that sit on an internet message board and cause trouble. Oh yeah, and you have crappy taste in music too.

menikmati
10-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Remember the time Gabe and Rue invaded that Sublime forum...ah good times.

MissingPerson
10-27-2009, 10:00 AM
fucking post of the week.

I should elaborate that I don't think all or even most gay people have terrible music taste. But the silence of many moderates permits a few extremists to speak for the whole community.

Just like terrorism.

RedThom
10-27-2009, 10:01 AM
I should elaborate that I don't think all or even most gay people have terrible music taste. But the silence of many moderates permits a few extremists to speak for the whole community.

Just like terrorism.

i think he mostly meant, as i did, the apology letter for the success and continued success of Lady Gaga.

stuporfly
Really, I'd like to unload praise/abuse in the spirit of the thread, but I'm finding this a difficult process. I think I've probably got a lot in common musically with folks like Alchemy, but I'd also give props to fellers like bmack86 and wmgaretjax for their much deeper exploration down avenues of music on which I've only ever lightly traveled.

Likewise, while I may bristle at the music of the Killers (sbessiso) or Pearl Jam (TallGuyCM) or much of what's played in the Sahara (feather), or can't quite identify with the wild praise afforded Arcade Fire (MissingPerson) or Radiohead (almost everyone on the forum), But I don't know that I know enough beyond that for me to single out three people for scorn. Even fun scorn.

And yes, I know...PUSSY!

TomAz
Screw you Tom and your shitty thread for wanting to start a fight. You're a bottom-feeding shit-stirrer who doesn't have anything better to do that sit on an internet message board and cause trouble. Oh yeah, and you have crappy taste in music too.

I appreciate the effort. I truly do.

menikmati
10-27-2009, 10:02 AM
some of the best:
Gabe
Orbit
Barbara

the worst:
Sbessiso
PaulB
and pretty much anyone else who still thinks the Prodigy are relevant.

TommyboyUNM
10-27-2009, 10:03 AM
I find still liking Sublime to be no more offensive than ever liking Sublime.

Blasphemy. 40 Oz. To Freedom was wonderful. Shut your goddamn mouth.

TommyboyUNM
10-27-2009, 10:04 AM

Just like terrorism.

Those moderate terrorists never get to have their say in terrorist matters.

luckyface
Perhaps a best and worst board members list thread would do the trick. That way, you can make attacks more personal instead of just aiming for the music tastes of those here.

rskapcat
Amy, you need to get over your Gaga guilt. Own your taste. I like a lot of crap, but I feel no shame. Can't be cool all the time.
Off the top of my head...

Best:
Casey
Brandon
Gemma

Worst:
Paul (Oh, Limp Bizkit.)
The rest TBA.
While I don't necessarily think they have the worst taste, I probably have very little in common with the plur kids, music-wise.

malcolmjamalawesome
10-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Was there like a big reveal in which Paul's liking of Limp Bizkit came out? I would have loved to have been there.

And I still think "My Way" is a great song but I believe that's because I link it with the single greatest WWF Wrestlemania Main Event Promo of all time, The Stone Cold Steve Austin heel turn on The Rock.

MissingPerson
i think he mostly meant, as i did, the apology letter for the success and continued success of Lady Gaga.

Yes. Strong condemnations are needed from the grassroots, to promote a more representative image and further mutual understanding.

Just like terrorism.

kreutz2112
Best:

Brandon
Corinna
Bryan
Jared
Gabe
Andrew
Patrick
bug
Orbit
Luckyface
betao
still-ill
Blackswan
Young Blood

Worst:

Randy
Brokendoll
salah

menikmati
Yes, Paul might actually overtake salah as #1....Beastie Boys, Lamb of God, Bad Religion (he got a fucking tattoo of this), Limp Bizkit, Prodigy....he should be posting on Rock-am Ring's forum, not ours.

Gribbz
10-27-2009, 10:07 AM
And I still think "My Way" is a great song but I believe that's because I link it with the single greatest WWF Wrestlemania Main Event Promo of all time, The Stone Cold Steve Austin heel turn on The Rock.

Oh my...

malcolmjamalawesome
10-27-2009, 10:08 AM
My fucking world was turned upside down.

gmoneyak
10-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Generally speaking, I`ve always thought that Bmack had the broadest taste in good music. I tend to agree with his takes than most. RP probably has the most similiar taste with me. Salah seems to always love the bands I dispise of...

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Was there like a big reveal in which Paul's liking of Limp Bizkit came out? I would have loved to have been there.

he wrote about going to see them in Las Vegas and how much fun he had

TomAz
10-27-2009, 10:13 AM
you people are forgetting Passive Theory. Maybe it's been too many years since he professed his undying love for Maroon 5?

Pixiessp
10-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Best:

Jazzz
Becca (anyone who can FINALLY get me to like Animal Collective deserves kudos). ;)
Bmack

Worst:

Salah(sorry, but the Killers are tripe)
I do love your Depeche Mode obsession. :)

menikmati
10-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Yeah Passive Theory is awful too....remember his unforgettable (forgettable?) quote he had when describing the junior boys:

The Boys are a two-piece consisting of Jeremy Greenspan and Matt Didemus. They play electronic dance music, but with a kind of cool and swagger that predates Justin Timberlake's sexyback phase.

WTF????????

Courtney
10-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Can I have that on a t-shirt please?

hawkingvsreeve
10-27-2009, 10:19 AM
God that quote got so much mileage.

malcolmjamalawesome
10-27-2009, 10:19 AM
You kids.

hawkingvsreeve
10-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Ahahaha. Oh, you.

luckyface
10-27-2009, 10:23 AM
you people are forgetting Passive Theory. Maybe it's been too many years since he professed his undying love for Maroon 5?
Hahahaha I really did forget about that. It must have been too many years. He likes a lot of good downtempo, so I didn't consider him for my worst list. But yeah, Maroon 5 is inexcusable.

Yeah Passive Theory is awful too....remember his unforgettable (forgettable?) quote he had when describing the junior boys:

WTF????????

Seriously, WTF, Lee??

SoulDischarge
10-27-2009, 10:24 AM
God how I hate Sublime. I might even hate them more than ICP. Both are bands that were idolized by just about everyone I grew up around. I had to listen to Sublime practically every time I went out with my friends this summer and it made me want to bash peoples' heads in.

To be honest, Salah's taste kind of gets more of a bad rep than it really deserves. Yes he has an irrational love for some pretty shitty bands and an irrational hate for some pretty good bands, but taken as a whole, it's a lot better than a good number of people on here. I think the problem a lot of people take with his taste is how he presents it, which can be pretty obnoxious. Killers aside, he just has mediocre taste, not terrible. I'd also wager Randy has worse taste than him.

hawkingvsreeve
10-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Hahahaha I really did forget about that. It must have been too many years. He likes a lot of good downtempo, so I didn't consider him for my worst list. But yeah, Maroon 5 is inexcusable.

Seriously, WTF, Lee??

No, this was like 3 years ago.

He then heard Death Cab's Trans and Plans and felt that was all he needed to be an expert.

PlayaDelWes
Hands down, I have the worst taste in music on here. Everything I listen to and every show I go to is a direct result of learning about it right here. Maybe if I like it, that means I have good taste? Regardless, I have not added a single ounce of musical value to the forums.

Thanks to all for sharing so much. It at a minimum has kept me from tunring into what my other 30+ y/o friends have.

rskapcat
I didn't even consider BD for my worst list...her involvement with the board doesn't seem to have anything to do with music.

malcolmjamalawesome
10-27-2009, 10:26 AM
SD, I was going to make the comment that I'd observed a high Sublime/ICP overlap myself. Kudos to you.

I also find your statement about Salah to be false, or, at the very least, lacking proof.

kreutz2112
10-27-2009, 10:27 AM
...her involvement with the board doesn't seem to have anything to do with music.

but when it does, it is ridiculous. I think she is number 1. Do you remember her best bands of all time list? Jesus.

hawkingvsreeve
I think she pretty much only likes dance music. And Floyd.

Gribbz
So I take it the "Sublime" reunion isn't doing it for you guys?

Gribbz
10-27-2009, 10:28 AM
but when it does, it is ridiculous. I think she is number 1. Do you remember her best bands of all time list? Jesus.

Wasn't Disturbed on there? Yeah.

kreutz2112
10-27-2009, 10:28 AM

and distrurbed, bon jovi and def leppard. It's ok to like those bands, well not disturbed, but to call them the greatest bands of all time is ludicrous.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-27-2009, 10:29 AM
God how I hate Sublime. I might even hate them more than ICP. Both are bands that were idolized by just about everyone I grew up around. I had to listen to Sublime practically every time I went out with my friends this summer and it made me want to bash peoples' heads in.

i don't think i've ever actually had to hear an ICP song before. Having grown in Southern California though, Sublime however was fucking inescapable and continues to be

faxman75
so is Royksopp's "Melody A.M."

That album seems to be good anywhere, anytime.

TomAz
I'd also wager Randy has worse taste than him.

Let's put that to the test.

sbessio how do you feel about Pink Floyd?

faxman75
10-27-2009, 10:30 AM

faxman75

rskapcat
10-27-2009, 10:30 AM
And my inclusion of Sally had to do with the artists he doesn't like in addition to the ones he does. And he assigns emotional importance to fluff.

hawkingvsreeve
10-27-2009, 10:31 AM
And my inclusion of Sally had to do with the artists he doesn't like in addition to the ones he does. And he assigns emotional importance to fluff.

Understatement.

betao
I will not be PM'ing you. I think I would have just preferred it been phrased as "People who think Daft Punk is the best electronic artist". However, you are still my best friend and I owe you a lemonade.

Very well then, you make a valid point. And you can buy me a lemonade as long as I can buy you a churro.

some of the best:
Gabe
Orbit
Barbara

the worst:
Sbessiso
PaulB

haha oh erik.

Just like terrorism.

well it really hit a spot with me because there is a very large and outspoken gay community at my college campus. they recently pulled together and get Buju Banton's show in the city canceled because of offensive/hateful song lyrics. I had friends that were going to that show :(

SoulDischarge
I also find your statement about Salah to be false, or, at the very least, lacking proof.

Salah's music taste is unadventurous, sure, but besides the Killers, it's not terrible. He mostly just likes Beck, White Stripes, Depeche Mode, Prince, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, etc. Shit most of us on here like as well. Passionate love for one terrible band does not terrible taste make.

algunz
Faxy, It wasn't. He was not a regular.

TomAz
10-27-2009, 10:32 AM

this is a very good point and I was wrong to overlook her for my list.

Young blood
10-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Salad likes KISS.

MissingPerson
10-27-2009, 10:34 AM
And my inclusion of Sally had to do with the artists he doesn't like in addition to the ones he does.

Indeed.

BlackSwan
10-27-2009, 10:35 AM

Worst:
Tommy
Paulb

There is no excusing Limp Bizkit and Lamb of God. I'm not even going to mention the Lamb of God tattoo... oh wait, just did.

Young blood
10-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Anybody that aligns themselves with a raging asshole named "Dave Wang" is on my worst list.

Still-ill
10-27-2009, 10:37 AM
I feel awkward for using real names this morning for some reason
Best:
Bryan (Not me... Bmack)
Patrick
Jared
Kreutz
Vinylmartyr
MountMccabe
Pancakes (He and I have an almost 100% rating on Last.fm. I have to include him.)
Buddy

Worst:
Sushov
Salah
Randy
Brokendoll
PaulB

This will be a running list. PassiveTheory likes enough good music to save him from making the worst... he's one or two off-kilter comments away from making it though.

amyzzz
10-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Amy, you need to get over your Gaga guilt. Own your taste. I like a lot of crap, but I feel no shame. Can't be cool all the time.
Off the top of my head...

Best:
Casey
Brandon
Gemma

Worst:
Sally
Amy
Paul (Oh, Limp Bizkit.)
Fuck off.

MissingPerson
10-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Fuck off.

Muhahahaha.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

hawkingvsreeve
10-27-2009, 10:42 AM
I was going to ask if you were stroking your cat while laughing like a super villain, but then decided the phrasing wasnt quite right.

TomAz
10-27-2009, 10:43 AM
i guffawed.

SoulDischarge
10-27-2009, 10:44 AM
People with worse taste than Salah:

PaulB
BROKENDOLL
Randy
psychobetabuckdown
Sushov
WhyTheLongFace
gaypalmsprings
HunterGather
TallGuyCM

hawkingvsreeve
10-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Fightin' words.

Young blood

WhyTheLongFace

2nded.

Pixiessp

PaulB
BROKENDOLL
Randy
psychobetabuckdown
Sushov
WhyTheLongFace
gaypalmsprings
HunterGather
TallGuyCM

Likes the Pixies= ok by me.

rskapcat
10-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Amy, you dislike some of my favorite bands. And you love Muse. Doesn't mean I don't like you...just means you'll never be in charge of music on a road trip. :p

SoulDischarge
You have really weird tastes too.

EDIT: @Brandon

Young blood
obzen

SoulDischarge
10-27-2009, 10:48 AM
I was going to put obzen, but then I realized I don't pay attention to him enough to know what the fuck he listens to.

amyzzz
10-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Amy, you dislike some of my favorite bands. And you love Muse. Doesn't mean I don't like you...just means you'll never be in charge of music on a road trip. :p
I was referring to how you prattle on nicely how about I should own my bad taste and I should be happy with who I am, bla blah blah then BAM! "Your tastes suck."

captncrzy
10-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Geez Amy.

Best:
Stupor (same taste as me)
Bmack (props for knowledge)
Vinyl (props for knowledge)

Worst
Paul
Salah
Any fanboy that saw NIN more than three times this last year. Jesus Christ people, there's other shit to do.

amyzzz
10-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Brandon lurves Madonna.

SoulDischarge
amyzzz gets a pass for all the shoegaze and trip-hop. I'm not really sure what else she likes besides the Smiths and NIN actually.

Still-ill

Yeah, whether it is an artist I like or dont like, I tend to disagree with him a lot.

hawkingvsreeve
10-27-2009, 10:52 AM

Compared to whom?

Or rather, what is weird? I'm not ashamed of anything I like, I defend it all.

Mr. Dylanja
10-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Any fanboy that saw NIN more than three this last year. Jesus Christ people, there's other shit to do.

Like sleep?

KK has pretty bad taste.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Any fanboy that saw NIN more than three this last year. Jesus Christ people, there's other shit to do.

most of the people that did that go to a bazillion shows though. 4 or 5 NIN shows out of 200+ shows in one year isn't that crazy

amyzzz
amyzzz gets a pass for all the shoegaze and trip-hop. I'm not really sure what else she likes besides the Smiths and NIN actually.
Shoegaze and triphop basically. And some 90's Britpop.

Courtney
Knowledge and taste are completely separate issues, for me.

Yes, if you have a wider knowledge of music you will be better able to demonstrate your tastes, but that's about it.

malcolmjamalawesome
10-27-2009, 10:54 AM
I'd like to add Cherita Chen to worst taste list.

amyzzz
under the wire! (saw em twice)

SoulDischarge
Compared to whom?

I just feel like out of everyone here, I can predict whether you'll like something or not the least. You just have an unusual blend of bands that you like and dislike.

I forgot to put SDsoldier on my list.

rskapcat
10-27-2009, 10:55 AM
I was referring to how you prattle on nicely how about I should own my bad taste and I should be happy with who I am, bla blah blah then BAM! "Your tastes suck."

My lists were like Brandon's; i.e., the people who have the most & least in common with me. Don't worry...I'll play "Pokerface" on our road trip.

hawkingvsreeve
10-27-2009, 10:56 AM

Yes, if you have a wider knowledge of music you will be better able to demonstrate your tastes, but that's about it.

I agree. Jared is a good example. He knows about a lot of music, but it seems like at least 80% of the things he mentions I have no interest in or dont really run parallel to what I like. Bryan as well, but that is more half and half.

captncrzy
10-27-2009, 10:56 AM

Yeah, but most of us have similar tastes in music, otherwise we'd be hanging out at the Stagecoach board. Bmack and Vinyl have great taste, plus a broad palate...see what I mean? It's great if you love In N Out, but your opinion has more clout if you've tasted burgers from 1000 different places.

obzen
10-27-2009, 10:57 AM
obzen

Broncos will lose.

amyzzz
I don't want the responsibility that comes with all that Music Knowledge.

captncrzy
Trent Reznor is humping his new wife in that big pile of money you all just forked over.

hawkingvsreeve
10-27-2009, 10:58 AM
I just feel like out of everyone here, I can predict whether you'll like something or not the least. You just have an unusual blend of bands that you like and dislike.

I forgot to put SDsoldier on my list.

I see. Others have had the same issue with me and are often surprised to hear that I like certain things. I dont know. If it's not my go-to genre but it's good, chances are I will enjoy it.

wmgaretjax
10-27-2009, 11:06 AM

You are hard to predict. In a good way.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-27-2009, 11:09 AM
i like most things that Brandon mentions

I listen to pretty much everything, and tons of stuff that most of you would find deplorable, but I don't mention those artists most of the time because they're not relevant to discussions here, and/or i know people here wouldn't care about them (lots of punk/hardcore/metal stuff)

hawkingvsreeve
10-27-2009, 11:12 AM
I never knew I was so enigmatic.

MissingPerson
10-27-2009, 11:13 AM
The inscrutable avatar helps.

In much the same way my brain thinks our Dale Gribble is the actual Dale Gribble.

TomAz
10-27-2009, 11:20 AM
I agree. Jared is a good example. He knows about a lot of music, but it seems like at least 80% of the things he mentions I have no interest in or dont really run parallel to what I like. Bryan as well, but that is more half and half.

I can't think of a single band or album that either of those two have recommended that I have not liked. Even stuff outside my comfort zone. Especially stuff outside my comfort zone.

rskapcat
10-27-2009, 11:21 AM
I don't tend to discuss the groups I don't like (or discuss the stuff I like that isn't relevant, like Drinkey said). I do NOT like RATM, SOAD, Tool, Metallica, or NIN. I am neutral on The Killers. I like Radiohead, but I don't LOVE them. Does that cover all the oft-discussed artists?

TomAz
10-27-2009, 11:23 AM
I do NOT like RATM, SOAD, Tool, Metallica, or NIN.

what an heterogeneous list. I love Tool, am ok with Metallica and Rage, am indifferent to System and despise Nine Inch Snails.

SoulDischarge
10-27-2009, 11:26 AM
I love Tool

Oh Tom.

hawkingvsreeve
10-27-2009, 11:27 AM
what an heterogeneous list. I love Tool, am ok with Metallica and Rage, am indifferent to System and despise Nine Inch Snails.

You love Tool?

Really?

Edit:

Ok, yeah. I knew something was off.

TomAz
10-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Tool is fun. Fun, dumb music, but dumb in the good way, not in the Kid Rock way.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-27-2009, 11:33 AM
i think everyone (most) here have such broad tastes in music that this discussion is difficult to have.

if you want to talk about MOVIES though, Salah has perhaps the worst taste and ability to critique review movies out of anyone I ever come across

Courtney
10-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Yeah, but most of us have similar tastes in music, otherwise we'd be hanging out at the Stagecoach board. Bmack and Vinyl have great taste, plus a broad palate...see what I mean? It's great if you love In N Out, but your opinion has more clout if you've tasted burgers from 1000 different places.

I agree that I would be more likely to value the opinion of someone who has tasted burgers from 1000 different burger joints, but that does not mean that they have better taste.

M Sparks
I'm disappointed that I didn't turn up on any Worst lists. Not because of ACTUAL bad taste, but because I refuse to be guilty about my guilty pleasures, and because I've never masturbated to Radiohead.

SoulDischarge
if you want to talk about MOVIES though, Salah has perhaps the worst taste and ability to critique review movies out of anyone I ever come across

I won't argue with that.

captncrzy
But it does if I think they do....

faxman75
10-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Worst
Any fanboy that saw NIN more than three times this last year. Jesus Christ people, there's other shit to do.

Yes! I finally made a list :D Thanks Jen.

Pixiessp
10-27-2009, 11:39 AM
I am the only Earlimart fan on this board(with the exception of Humanoid).
Whether that means anything to you Coachellians or not does not keep me from
professing my love.

Coachellian is a weird word.

TomAz
10-27-2009, 11:40 AM
I agree that I would be more likely to value the opinion of someone who has tasted burgers from 1000 different burger joints, but that does not mean that they have better taste.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/rjo0619l.jpg

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-27-2009, 11:44 AM

It's true...i have tasted close to 1,000 different beers, but continue to get hated on because of my love for PBR and Natural Light

EDIT: ...which people here like to use against me regarding my opinion in all manner of arguments

stuporfly
10-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Best:
Stupor (same taste as me)

Hooray!

SoulDischarge
10-27-2009, 11:46 AM
I drink a lot of fucking swill, but Natty Light, ugh. I've drank a lot of that shit since it's on draught for $0.50 every Tuesday at the local punk bar, but I can't even stomach it any more. I usually throw down the extra $1 for the Dundee Honey Brown or extra $1.50 for tallboys of PBR.

mountmccabe
10-27-2009, 11:49 AM
I am the only Earlimart fan on this board(with the exception of Humanoid).

False.

What do you think of Hymn and Her? I have not yet heard that. I almost feel like it is appropriate for the symmetry as I have also not heard Filthy Doorways.

But, yeah. Significant love here. They put on a great live show, too. The time before last what I saw them (Treble and Tremble tour) they covered "State Trooper" by Springsteen. It was phenomenal.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-27-2009, 11:52 AM
I drink a lot of fucking swill, but Natty Light, ugh. I've drank a lot of that shit since it's on draught for $0.50 every Tuesday at the local punk bar, but I can't even stomach it any more. I usually throw down the extra $1 for the Dundee Honey Brown or extra $1.50 for tallboys of PBR.

my thing I guess is that beer has to have a very strong taste in order for me to dislike it. I'm generally extremely easy to please. When i'm out I rarely drink cheap beer because there's not much of a price difference around here. But for $5.99 a 12-pack, Natty Light is the bomb

Courtney
10-27-2009, 11:52 AM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/rjo0619l.jpg

I think it's a significant distinction, which is why I mentioned it.

Bryan, for example, while he is a wonderful person and has an impressive breadth of musical knowledge, is not on my list. His experience is broad, and he is a wonderful source of information, but for me he simply likes too much (some of which I personally dislike). This is not to say that I do not greatly enjoy reading about Bryan's musical opinions, because I do.

Of course, I understand what Jen is saying, which is that we all have such similar tastes in the greater scheme of things, that it makes sense to take other factors besides taste in consideration when making a ranking. But then it needs to be acknowledged that the ranking is based on more than pure taste.

mountmccabe
10-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Best
bmack
Soul Discharge
sydaud
* h.m. to bballarl who is no longer on the board.

Worst
Passive Theory
amyzzz
sbessio
* h.m. to anyone with "daft" in their screen name.

Tom's taste in boardmember's taste on the positive side is quite fantastic. On the Worst side I would disagree with putting amyzzz there but I can understand why it happened. And I don't seem to recall Passive Theory as actually having taste. Based on his opining, though, I can't argue.

Maybe for a couple of best votes:

C Dub
Supre

and yes I agree Bmack

cr****

Ron's taste is, unsurprisingly, baffling.

Best
Alchemy
Bmack
JSam67

Worst
kingsblend420
Headstruck
sbessiso

The "worst" list is much easier to come up with, or harder depending on your perspective, because there is such a vast pool of people who qualify.

I don't know JSam67 well enough to comment on that but the other two for Best are solid choices. Similarly I do not know Headstruck's musical tastes very well but the other two are also quite fantastic choices.

So Tommy does quite well, which surprises me a fair amount.

Best:
Bmack
Mountmccabe
Wmgaretx
Worst:
Sbessio

Best group yet. Other than that there's only one name under worst.

Best:
Me

Worst:
Me

One out of two isn't bad.

Best
Alchemy
Sonicifyouwantit
boarderwoozel

Worst
sbessiso
scoop49r
sbessiso

Alchemy is a good choice. sbessio is a good choice. I am a bit in the dark on the others, though I feel that they're at least in the ballpark.

best:
TCHY Marco

uh, that's all I got.

worst:
ragey josh
paulb

paulb is not a bad choice for worst, but including Josh is ridiculous. I realize he reps endlessly for Gogol Bordello and a few other bad bands but for the most part I think he has fine taste. I'd call TCHY a less than inspired choice for best as well.

I am a little surprised at this, Amy. I figured you have some more folks that share the Brit Pop/Shoegaze/90s thing you have going on. I would say you have good, if limited, tastes.

best:
luckyface
orbit
donaldj

worst
sbessio

luckyface and orbit are decent to good choices. donaldj's interests do not allign with mine so I would vote against that. Your attempt at a worst was kinda halfassed.

Best:
Obviously I like the music that I like the best. Most of you have pretty similar or complimentary taste, so this is hard to answer.

Worst:

Your best is, yes, obvious. And, therefore, not really contributing anything to the conversation.

And your worst has some bad reasoning as well, even if your choice is unarguable.

And that's page 1. Though I likely will not be able to finish this.

Pixiessp
10-27-2009, 11:56 AM
False.

What do you think of Hymn and Her? I have not yet heard that. I almost feel like it is appropriate for the symmetry as I have also not heard Filthy Doorways.

But, yeah. Significant love here. They put on a great live show, too. The time before last what I saw them (Treble and Tremble tour) they covered "State Trooper" by Springsteen. It was phenomenal.

Hymn and Her is probably my least favorite. It's very nice just not as good as Treble and Tremble or Mentor Tormentor. I've yet to hear Filthy Doorways.
No good record stores around here. Need to give it a listen though. :)

TomAz
10-27-2009, 11:59 AM
On the Worst side I would disagree with putting amyzzz there but I can understand why it happened.

amy has an extremely narrow, limited scope, and much of that limited scope includes shit. But it's the long list of stuff she doesn't like that shows she doesn't know a fucking thing about anything.

TommyboyUNM
10-27-2009, 12:00 PM
So Tommy does quite well, which surprises me a fair amount.

Hah. Thanks, John.

amyzzz
10-27-2009, 12:02 PM
And yet again, I am wishing for the option to /ignore a thread.

SoulDischarge
10-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Sadly, there's no one on the board that has worst taste than the majority of my IRL friends.

TommyboyUNM
10-27-2009, 12:04 PM
If it makes you feel any better, Amy, I like that you have shitty taste in music.

Gribbz
10-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Sadly, there's no one on the board that has worst taste than the majority of my IRL friends.

One of my friends was trying to convince me how awesome Slightly Stoopid and Pepper are. I wanted to say something so bad. I've been trying to be nice though lately...

sames44
10-27-2009, 12:05 PM

this.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-27-2009, 12:06 PM

well, this is precisely why we have to go online to talk about our musical obsessions

amyzzz
10-27-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm going to go cry in my room with my shitty Snow Patrol and Coldplay albums.

TomAz
10-27-2009, 12:08 PM
I think it's a significant distinction, which is why I mentioned it.

Bryan, for example, while he is a wonderful person and has an impressive breadth of musical knowledge, is not on my list. His experience is broad, and he is a wonderful source of information, but for me he simply likes too much (some of which I personally dislike). This is not to say that I do not greatly enjoy reading about Bryan's musical opinions, because I do.

Of course, I understand what Jen is saying, which is that we all have such similar tastes in the greater scheme of things, that it makes sense to take other factors besides taste in consideration when making a ranking. But then it needs to be acknowledged that the ranking is based on more than pure taste.

just write your damned list already, rather than pondering the meaning of 'taste'.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-27-2009, 12:09 PM
it's not first nature for all us to be a total dick at the drop of a dime. Some of us need mental foreplay to ease our way into it

hawkingvsreeve
10-27-2009, 12:12 PM
A mental lube, if you will.

miscorrections
10-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Best:
Bballarl (I know he's not around anymore but too fucking bad)
Bmack
SoulDischarge
honorable mentions to sydaud, Brad, Rey, and Jared

Worst:
PaulB
Salah
Airguitarvet (how did you people forget about his execrable taste?)

Courtney
10-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Hahaha. Drinkey has me figured out, I think.

And wow, yes I had forgotten about Airguitarvet. Thanks for re-branding that hideous memory in my brain.

menikmati
10-27-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm going to go cry in my room with my shitty Snow Patrol and Coldplay albums.

Hopefully it's pre-X&Y coldplay...

amyzzz
10-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Hopefully it's pre-X&Y coldplay...
Everything-but-X&Y-Coldplay

SoulDischarge
10-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Airguitarvet (how did you people forget about his execrable taste?)

They just never post any more which is why I didn't put them on my list.

AlecEiffel
10-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Best:

KungFuJay (sadly, he left the board after festival season)

Young blood
10-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Best:

Breakjaw/Abe Lincoln. Fact.

amyzzz
10-27-2009, 12:53 PM
breakjaw is abe lincoln? argh.

TallGuyCM
10-27-2009, 12:56 PM

PaulB
BROKENDOLL
Randy
psychobetabuckdown
Sushov
WhyTheLongFace
gaypalmsprings
HunterGather
TallGuyCM

I'm honored.

Likes the Pixies= ok by me.

Thanks, Pixiessp.

Patrick, you don't know much about my taste in music. I think I may have said some negative things in the past about some obscure bands that you and Jared like so you took that to mean that I have shitty taste in music.

mountmccabe
10-27-2009, 12:56 PM
amy has an extremely narrow, limited scope, and much of that limited scope includes shit. But it's the long list of stuff she doesn't like that shows she doesn't know a fucking thing about anything.

I like the Smiths, Nine Inch Nails and Catherine Wheel. This is the source of our disagreement.

Hah. Thanks, John.

You're welcome.

It'sn't so much that I think you have bad taste in music as that you have, historically, had some pretty bad taste in music. You do seem to be coming along well, though, if I can continue sounding like an ass.

TallGuyCM
10-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Best:

ThomThom
rskapcat
boarderwoozel

Worst:

BrokenDoll
sbessiso
RotationSlimWang

TomAz
10-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Best:

Breakjaw/Abe Lincoln. Fact.

yeah he'd've made my list if I ran it to 5

breakjaw is abe lincoln? argh.

oh amy.

rage patton
10-27-2009, 01:03 PM
This thread has actually been a thoroughly entertaining read. I do have to say though, I feel I need to stick up for Paul. Sure he likes Lamb of God and Limp Bizkit, but its not like those are the only two bands he listens too. According to his last.fm, so of his other top listened to bands include Arcade Fire, Daft Punk, Radiohead, NIN, Rage, Depeche Mode, REM, Pixies, etc. etc. Anyways, just my two cents.

Oh, and Brokendoll easily has the worst taste in music.

Really? This surprises me.

TheWatcher
10-27-2009, 01:09 PM
I am now coming down with the piggy flu and don't have the energy to dig through the threads to determine who has what tastes. :(

I see that it's almost unanimous about sbessiso which is very amusing.

So, how do you know everyone's Last.FM identity? Is it because you guys mostly know each other IRL or is this something that can be found on the board somewhere?

Anyway, on my worst list I would put anyone who really likes Jay-Z or Girl Talk. Also the people who knocked Oingo Boingo off the hurt/heal headliner game. :) I will have to think about it.

I have found a lot of bands I was unaware of on this board, I know there are a lot of people with good taste in music. ;)

SoulDischarge
10-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Patrick, you don't know much about my taste in music. I think I may have said some negative things in the past about some obscure bands that you and Jared like so you took that to mean that I have shitty taste in music.

I probably don't know your taste that well, but everything I've seen you post has been pretty opposite to my own. It's not just that you don't like a couple of obscure bands I like. For example:

1. The Beatles
2. Radiohead
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Crosby, Stills & Nash
5. Neil Young & Crazy Horse
6. Pearl Jam
7. Pink Floyd
8. The Jimi Hendrix Experience
9. Steely Dan
10. The Who

Yeah, I'm a big classic rock guy.

I really hate about half of those bands, and 80% of classic rock in general, which is where it seems a lot of your taste is coming from. I feel like I'm more musically compatible with Salah than you is all.

mountmccabe
Only one list on page 2:

As this is completely subjective I will have to go with those who are closest to my tastes.

Most like mine:
Adam
Becca
John

Least like mine:
Salah
Paul
Lee

Your Most list surprises me quite a bit.

I think Adam has some good taste in music but from what I see of it it seems somewhat more narrow than yours and - at least mostly - in different regions (even if there're some great regions there.) There is some serious overlap, though, with the Jawboxes and such, so maybe that runs deeper than I envisioned.

I probably know Becca's tastes less well but I don't see the breadth I see in your tastes, Brandon. Mostly this is an incomplete, I guess. I see some good likes but I need more information.

Seeing me there surprised me most, actually. Then I looked at your Last.fm and was all, ooh, I like that band. Oh, they're great. Etc. Maybe I am still stuck in a "Brandon loves Self" mindset. It is not that I think you have bad taste - you have great taste - it is just that I wouldn't think of our tastes as being that similar. I have always loved your mixes. Maybe I need to re-evaluate.

I am not at all surprised by your Least list and have no issues there.

buddy
best:
abraham lincoln (vast knowledge, almost always great stuff)
soul discharge (always enjoy his picks from the mixes, and come from left field each time)
real talk (likes similar to mine ghostface, billie holliday, and elliott smith, etc. when she was around. would be excellent on last.fm if i listened to more mountain goats)

honorable mention: miscorrections, still-ill

worst:
im usually in the boat of whatever makes you happy, but anybody that likes limp bizkit, or the killers

TallGuyCM
10-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Anyway, on my worst list I would put anyone who really likes Jay-Z or Girl Talk.

Says the person with Rob Zombie and the Airborne Toxic Event in their upcoming shows. :nono

BlackSwan
10-27-2009, 01:11 PM
This thread has actually been a thoroughly entertaining read. I do have to say though, I feel I need to stick up for Paul. Sure he likes Lamb of God and Limp Bizkit, but its not like those are the only two bands he listens too. According to his last.fm, so of his other top listened to bands include Arcade Fire, Daft Punk, Radiohead, NIN, Rage, Depeche Mode, REM, Pixies, etc. etc. Anyways, just my two cents.

Travelling to see Limp Bizkit and having a Lamb of God tattoo cancels all of that other stuff out for me.

BlackSwan
10-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Only one list on page 2:

McCabe, why are you doing a post-by-post analysis of this thread?

TallGuyCM
10-27-2009, 01:13 PM
I really hate about half of those bands, and 80% of classic rock in general, which is where it seems a lot of your taste is coming from. I feel like I'm more musically compatible with Salah than you is all.

That makes sense. Thanks for explaining. My earliest memories of music are classic rock from being in the parents' car when I was little, so I guess I naturally latched onto it. To each his own, thanks for being cool about it. :)

TheWatcher
10-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Says the person with Rob Zombie and the Airborne Toxic Event in their upcoming shows. :nono

Hey, it's Halloween. Must do something Hallow-weenie. (i made up a word)

Last year we saw the Damned and the Adolescents.

SoulDischarge
10-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Really? This surprises me.

All my Ohio friends anyway. Probably my best friend is a girl who is a huge Juggalo and likes a lot of mainstream country now too. Lots of bad radio rap as well. We agree on some old school punk and some weird shit like the Make-Up, but for the most part, we've got majorly different taste. I'm really good friends with her little sister, who also likes a lot of good punk, but is really, really into lots of really bad mainstream rap and r&b. Another one of my close friends likes a bunch of good stuff, but she likes a lot of really bad shit as well, like terrible trance, Jack Johnson, Sublime, etc. She likes a lot of boring indie that isn't really bad but isn't really great either. For some reason I've always had trouble making friends with people with similar taste in real life.

canexplain
10-27-2009, 01:21 PM
I think I am not on either lists because I tend to like most any band (well cept the argument over ...... ) I do realize that liking everyone can be as bad as no taste but C’est la vie (ELP now there is a musical reference most the people here on the board would hate) … and my votes are somewhat skewed by pictures of concerts and not musical taste …... cr****

mountmccabe
10-27-2009, 01:37 PM
McCabe, why are you doing a post-by-post analysis of this thread?

I am doing an analysis of each official analysis posted in this thread because that way I can directly offend more than just three people.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-27-2009, 01:37 PM

obviously Jay-Z and Girl Talk are worlds apart stylistically from Rob Zombie and Airborne (no matter anyone's opinion on said bands) so it's not weird to think that a fan of one set would not be a fan of the other

Daft Fro
10-27-2009, 01:41 PM
You DP haters can suck it :thu - '06 @ Coachella was epic, and you know it.

And another +1 to Donald, whom has dope taste.

mountmccabe
10-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Two on page 3:

Best:
Orbit
Jazzz
Betao

Worst:
Salah (Just God awful!)
Sushy

I am a little fuzzy on your Best. Orbit is a good choice but the "IDM & Downtempo Lounge regulars" bit has me leaning the wrong way and distrusting the inclusion of Jazzz and Betao.

Your Worst list is solid, though.

some of the best:
Gabe
Orbit
Barbara

the worst:
Sbessiso
PaulB

Gabe's taste was pretty simple. He'd be low on my oldboard list. Among others already mentioned in this thread he'd also be behind adamnikyo, Jennihoo and tylerdurden. He'd be ahead of asshat, tessa|asset and caco, though.

Orbit is a fine choice. And I don't know Barbara's tastes well enough to say... though what I know leans all towards the Hard/electro/dancy stuff so I'm gonna guess that I'd disagree.

Your worst list is fine, even with the cop-out re The Prodigy. The Fat of the Land was cool, though, right?

M Sparks
10-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Probably my best friend is a girl who is a huge Juggalo .

FAIL!

So, I'm looking for cruel pictures of Juggalo girls, and I run across this...

http://www.viceland.com/newsletter/images2/17848554.jpg

Nothing special about this picture until you read the caption...

"This girl was Miss Juggalette 2006."

Reach for the sky, fellas.

TomAz
10-27-2009, 01:45 PM
I am doing an analysis of each official analysis posted in this thread because that way I can directly offend more than just three people.

so meta.

BROKENDOLL
10-27-2009, 01:45 PM
I didn't even consider BD for my worst list...her involvement with the board doesn't seem to have anything to do with music.
Of course not. I'm still studying the best and worst of people before I move on to insulting their music tastes.

Wasn't Disturbed on there? Yeah.

and distrurbed, bon jovi and def leppard. It's ok to like those bands, well not disturbed, but to call them the greatest bands of all time is ludicrous.
See? Brandon has a general idea. As far as Disturbed goes, yeah, they are one of my favorites for that genre and my time, but certainly not for bands of all time. That thread didn't clarify it's title enough if I recall.

TomAz
10-27-2009, 01:47 PM
You DP haters can suck it :thu - '06 @ Coachella was epic, and you know it.

And another +1 to Donald, whom has dope taste.

slayed by your laser wit.

SoulDischarge
10-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Your worst list is fine, even with the cop-out re The Prodigy. The Fat of the Land was cool, though, right?

Music For The Jilted Generation is better. And yeah, jazzz has really good taste. I wish I had realized who he was when we met during Flying Lotus this year, but I was half deaf at that point and couldn't hear a damned thing he was saying.

BROKENDOLL
10-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Salah's music taste is unadventurous, sure, but besides the Killers, it's not terrible. He mostly just likes Beck, White Stripes, Depeche Mode, Prince, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, etc. Shit most of us on here like as well. Passionate love for one terrible band does not terrible taste make.
Would someone tell SD I said thanks?

mountmccabe
10-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Best:
Casey
Brandon
Gemma

Worst:
Sally
Amy
Paul (Oh, Limp Bizkit.)

Since Brandon named Becca and Becca named Brandon I am going to conclude that there is certainly more of a musical connection there than I noticed. And Brandon has fantastic taste in music so that's a good selection.

I am less familiar with Casey's tastes but I know that I've seen him rep for some good bands. Too much of an unknown for me to say, really.

And Gemma's tastes seem very good. If a bit focused. Such over the top, almost obscene devotion is out of my ken.

A reasonable set for Worst, though. I wouldn't include Amy (this's been discussed) and I also wouldn't include PaulB... Josh mentioned the bands everybody likes so they don't really say anything about your taste... but what pushes him out of the bottom for me is the Bad Religion love. Though, maybe, I need to look deeper there and see what eras get the most reverence.

Best:

Brandon
Corinna
Bryan
Jared
Gabe
Andrew
Patrick
bug
Orbit
Luckyface
betao
still-ill
Blackswan
Young Blood

Worst:

Randy
Brokendoll
salah

You are a cheater for including so many people. The inclusion of Gabe, again, boggles me. I couldn't include luckyface or betao either. Certainly no on BlackSwan.

That might be my final Worst list, though.

Best:

Jazzz
Becca (anyone who can FINALLY get me to like Animal Collective deserves kudos). ;)
Bmack

Worst:

Salah(sorry, but the Killers are tripe)
I do love your Depeche Mode obsession. :)

I guess I don't know Jazzz. And maybe I should talk with Becca more about the music. Bmack is a fantastic choice, he certainly will make my final list.

You kinda copped out on the Worsts, though.

BlackSwan
10-27-2009, 02:25 PM

Oh, delightful (No sarcasm here).

BlackSwan
10-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Certainly no on BlackSwan.

Don't pretend you are familiar enough with my tastes to make that judgement.

TallGuyCM
10-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Now that I think about it, I gotta throw Boourns in there on my Worst list. Without a doubt.

miscorrections
10-27-2009, 02:28 PM
His taste is unfortunately dictated by his love for tiny, attractive Asian women but a lot them make good music so I wouldn't put him as worst.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Now that I think about it, I gotta throw Boourns in there on my Worst list. Without a doubt.

i give him credit for be so insanely passionate about the things he loves though

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-27-2009, 02:29 PM
His taste is unfortunately dictated by his love for tiny, attractive Asian women but a lot them make good music so I wouldn't put him as worst.

and Jarvis, of course

TallGuyCM
10-27-2009, 02:31 PM
This should explain why he would be on my list:

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1319154&postcount=38

miscorrections
10-27-2009, 02:33 PM
I don't find much there to be objectionable. Uninspired, maybe, but not bad. Guess we have fairly different tastes.

rskapcat
10-27-2009, 02:34 PM
I probably know Becca's tastes less well but I don't see the breadth I see in your tastes, Brandon.

Brandon's way cooler than me, but we do share a love SDRE & Dismemberment Plan, among other stuff.

LooseAtTheZoo
10-27-2009, 02:38 PM
I am separating taste from breadth of knowledge in my list (though they are obviously not mutually-exclusive).

Best
TomAz
Mountmccabe
SoulDischarge

Worst
Brokendoll
PaulB
Boourns

(I don't really believe there's such a thing as good or bad taste. Just playing along).

faxman75
10-27-2009, 02:39 PM
The only thing I learned in this thread is everyone thinks Pual B, BrokenDoll, Salah and Sushy have terrible taste. Oh and Tom likes Tool.