PDA

View Full Version : It's raining pie-in-the-face comedians!

fiyahhh!
10-23-2009, 04:51 AM
Pie-splattered comedian Soupy Sales dies at 83
By DAVID N. GOODMAN, Associated Press Writer
44 minutes ago

Soupy Sales, the rubber-faced comedian whose anything-for-a-chuckle career was built on 20,000 pies to the face and 5,000 live TV appearances across a half-century of laughs, has died. He was 83.

Sales died Thursday night at Calvary Hospice in the Bronx, New York, said his former manager and longtime friend, Dave Usher. Sales had many health problems and entered the hospice last week, Usher said.

At the peak of his fame in the 1950s and '60s, Sales was one of the best-known faces in the nation, Usher said.

"If President Eisenhower would have walked down the street, no one would have recognized him as much as Soupy," Usher said.

At the same time, Sales retained an openness to fans that turned every restaurant meal into an endless autograph-signing session, Usher said.

"He was just good to people," said Usher, a former jazz music producer who managed Sales in the 1950s and now owns Detroit-based Marine Pollution Control.

Sales began his TV career in Cincinnati and Cleveland, then moved to Detroit, where he drew a large audience on WXYZ-TV. He moved to Los Angeles in 1961.

The comic's pie-throwing schtick became his trademark, and celebrities lined up to take one on the chin alongside Sales. During the early 1960s, stars such as Frank Sinatra, Tony Curtis and Shirley MacLaine received their just desserts side-by-side with the comedian on his television show.

canexplain
10-23-2009, 05:27 AM
Ah I grew up with Soopy :( RIP cr****

fatbastard
10-23-2009, 05:30 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Oh Pookie!!!!!!! I loved you so much.

gaypalmsprings
10-23-2009, 05:49 AM
R.I.P. Soupy.

http://myfilm.com/blogimage/01soupy.jpg

HunterGather
10-23-2009, 06:07 AM
Sterns gonna be on this monday. His childhood hero.

Ardentbiscuit
10-23-2009, 06:10 AM
This has been a terrible year.

TheWatcher
10-23-2009, 06:11 AM
While his TV fame had faded by the late 1960s, Sales continued to be a staple in the medium, thanks to appearances on TV game shows such as "What's My Line," "To Tell the Truth," "Match Game" and "Hollywood Squares."

Yeah, I grew up watching him too, but mostly on the game shows.

R.I.P.

M Sparks
10-23-2009, 07:28 AM
NSFW! Ahhhh...live TV...

NdUD4giJPOk

(No, of course the alternate angle didn't air.)

EDIT- Damn Youtube. Can't find it anywhere else either. It's a clip from a live show...Soupy answers the door and "stripper music" plays, while a balloon bounces in the doorway. Soupy is very flustered. The clip is shown again with an alternate angle shown- the balloon is being held by a stagehand, but there is a topless woman dancing behind him that can't be seen by the audience.

TomAz
10-23-2009, 07:54 AM
Yeah, I grew up watching him too, but mostly on the game shows.

R.I.P.

yeah I can remember as a kid he was on all these game shows as a b-list celebrity contestent and I was always like, who is soupy sales? you know, like you'd watch hollywood squares and wonder 'who is wally cox?'

chairmenmeow47
10-23-2009, 07:54 AM
the only reason i know this name is from friends. FML