PDA

View Full Version : Dollhouse

RotationSlimWang
10-05-2009, 12:06 AM
One of the most engaging pilots I've ever seen. I can't wait to see how the network that picked it up managed to make Joss Whedon make a fucking mess out of it.

Kinda annoyed to see the guy that played the really annoying actor in The TV Set, a good indictment of LA showbiz pimped by David Duchovny, getting work. But at the same time, I'm legitimately surprised that I don't hate his fucking guts yet. Maybe he's not as terrible as the terrible actor he played so perfectly.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-05-2009, 12:25 AM
i wanted to strangle that douchebag the entire time i was watching the tv set.

Of course, i wanted to strangle a LOT of characters while watching that movie, so maybe that's more of a testament of the good job Jake kasdan did morseo than how annoying the actors were

nbvcide
10-05-2009, 01:55 AM
when you say pilot, are we talking about Dollhouse 1x01 or the 1x00?

bug on your lip
10-05-2009, 06:42 AM
One of the most engaging pilots I've ever seen. I can't wait to see how the network that picked it up managed to make Joss Whedon make a fucking mess out of it.

actually, the most engaging pilot i've ever seen was Peter Graves

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/ccarter/2005/07/25/airplane.jpg

Mr.Nipples
10-05-2009, 06:59 AM

i prefer otto

RotationSlimWang
10-05-2009, 07:43 AM
when you say pilot, are we talking about Dollhouse 1x01 or the 1x00?

1x00. I managed to get through I believe 1x02 before falling out last night, and despite the typical watering down of Joss's edgy pilots into more typical TV fare by the network, I'm still pretty excited by the series despite Elisha's involvement. It has a fuckload of promise and a really solid premise. Check it out, people. Or maybe wait until I finish the first season and see how I feel about it then, but so far it looks gangbusters.

KooKoo Banana Funtime
10-05-2009, 07:56 AM
you know what else has a fuckload of promise?
Randy's pill cabinet

moderation is for pussies

wmgaretjax
10-05-2009, 09:03 AM
1x00. I managed to get through I believe 1x02 before falling out last night, and despite the typical watering down of Joss's edgy pilots into more typical TV fare by the network, I'm still pretty excited by the series despite Elisha's involvement. It has a fuckload of promise and a really solid premise. Check it out, people. Or maybe wait until I finish the first season and see how I feel about it then, but so far it looks gangbusters.

It gets really good mid season. This season has been badass so far, but I doubt it will be picked up for a 3rd.

MissingPerson
10-05-2009, 09:07 AM
It's still the weakest of Whedon's projects so far, IMHO, but yes, it does find it's legs halfway through the season and Epitaph One totally sold me on it.

RotationSlimWang
10-05-2009, 09:12 AM
It's still the weakest of Whedon's projects so far

Have we all forgotten about Angel?

MissingPerson
10-05-2009, 09:18 AM
I liked Angel. It never hit the heights, but it was consistently strong and had very few thoroughly shit episodes.

Also had an unusually high real-life mortality rate in it's cast.

RotationSlimWang
10-05-2009, 09:30 AM
you thought that dork was cute, didn't you? Fucking women. That show blew.

wmgaretjax
10-05-2009, 09:41 AM
I think it's Whedon's best since Buffy.

sonofhal
10-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Angel was more miss than hit, I found. Plus the worst season of Buffy was when Joss was away getting Angel off the ground.

RotationSlimWang
10-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Season 4 wasn't that bad. Had some moments. Certainly a lot better than when Angel was on the fucking show, except for Season 3 of course.

amyzzz
10-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Those pilot epsiodes are fucking confusing. Love this show though and will keep watching.

nbvcide
10-05-2009, 02:10 PM
i prefer otto

i prefer Kareem Abdul Jabbar..

nbvcide
10-05-2009, 02:12 PM

whoa, whoa, whoa..

Firefly??

boxofbox
10-05-2009, 03:07 PM

um... can you actually make that claim? I thought you couldn't make it through season 1. :rolleyes

re: firefly -> I love this show, but I feel cheated by the way it was forced to wrap up. I really couldn't see it going longer than 1.5 seasons though.

re: dollhouse -> I really hope they move away from the 1-offs and introduce the longer arcs again. Bring back alpha, whiskey & start chugging toward the mental apocalypse! I pray for 2 full seasons and a 4 part mini-series. The pilot was to jumbled. It was the right choice to spread it out a bit and interlace some of the longer plot development in the monster-of-the-week eps.

re: whedon's best -> buffy (fer sure), followed by dr. horrible!! firefly is currently in 3rd for me, but dollhouse (in 4th) has the potential to move up to 2nd if it behaves. angel was tragibad.

amyzzz
10-05-2009, 03:10 PM
I just fiished up Angel a few weeks ago, and some of it was pretty damn good, especially the parts with Darla.

Cancersticks1
10-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Delete Connor and Jasmine and Angel was great.

Cancersticks1
10-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Fuck that, it is great. But that would have been greater.

iv3rdawG
10-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Yeah, halfway through the first season it gets pretty great. I hope it gets picked up for a second season but being in the same time slot that they are in as they were last year, it seems unlikely.

amyzzz
10-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Oh man, I LOVED Connor. He was so creepy and so adorable AT THE SAME TIME.

Cancersticks1
10-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Oh man, I LOVED Connor. He was so creepy and so adorable AT THE SAME TIME.

Ugh, Connor and Dawn need to be shipped off to "Quitcherbitchin Island." Buffy/Angel are among my favorite shows, but every time I watch them I want to slap those two. Even when he's a baby I want to slap him.

Boourns
10-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Delete Connor and Jasmine and Angel was great.

Seconded.

Fell way behind in Dollhouse...need to check out the DVD's.

MissingPerson
10-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Ugh, Connor and Dawn need to be shipped off to "Quitcherbitchin Island." Buffy/Angel are among my favorite shows, but every time I watch them I want to slap those two. Even when he's a baby I want to slap him.

Also, Willow from Season 6+. While we're doing that, maybe we can rescue Xander from the Ocean of Redundancy.

RotationSlimWang
10-06-2009, 08:33 PM
No, Xander needs to go to The Island of Poorly Feigned Incredulity.

Just finished season one. Fucking awesome. I wish Joss would just do a show for HBO already.

wmgaretjax
10-06-2009, 09:17 PM
amen to that.

Sushov23
10-06-2009, 09:25 PM
I just fiished up Angel a few weeks ago, and some of it was pretty damn good, especially the parts with Darla.

I agree with this 100 percent. Angel Season 3 was fucking great.

Boourns
10-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Is anyone reading Buffy Season 8?

FoamFinger86
10-06-2009, 09:40 PM

One of the greatest movies ever!
*avoids homework*

Cancersticks1
10-07-2009, 07:58 AM
Is anyone reading Buffy Season 8?

I've been picking them all up as the trade paperbacks come out. I'm not really sure what I feel about it. I need to pick up Angel: After The Fall too.

Cancersticks1
10-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Also, Willow from Season 6+. While we're doing that, maybe we can rescue Xander from the Ocean of Redundancy.

Dark Willow gives me boners. Leave her alone.

RotationSlimWang
10-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Vampire Willow was cool, dark Willow was fucking lame.

bug on your lip
10-07-2009, 08:50 AM
racist

RotationSlimWang
10-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Darkie Willow stole my wallet.

bug on your lip
10-07-2009, 09:02 AM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w103/DreadedChris/willow075.jpg

iv3rdawG
11-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Well, I think most of us knew it was coming but still pretty sad:

Fox cancels 'Dollhouse'
Whedon drama to finish 13-episode order

Geeks of the world, prepare to rise up: Fox has cancelled the Joss Whedon drama “Dollhouse.”
Whedon was set to announce the news to his army of loyalists via Twitter this afternoon. Decision isn’t a surprise, as Fox had already yanked the show from its Friday slot during November sweeps. Show was still skedded to come back Dec. 4, however.

20th Century Fox TV is currently producing the show’s 11th episode; production has not yet halted, which means “Dollhouse” is expected to finish up its 13-episode order.

A Fox exec also confirmed that all 13 episodes of “Dollhouse” will ultimately air on the net, with the 13th serving as the series finale.

“Dollhouse” narrowly avoided cancellation last spring after its first season; show has struggled this fall on Fridays, however -- a night that Fox hasn’t found much success over the past decade.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118011179.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&ref=bd_tv

amyzzz
11-11-2009, 12:29 PM
I stopped watching it this year after the first few episodes. First season ended really awesome -- wtf were they doing switching gears and taking important people off the show?

Cancersticks1
11-12-2009, 06:55 AM
sigh.

obzen
11-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Well, I think most of us knew it was coming

HA!

mountmccabe
11-12-2009, 08:26 AM
I stopped watching it this year after the first few episodes. First season ended really awesome -- wtf were they doing switching gears and taking important people off the show?

There've only been a few episodes this season. They haven't been airing Dollhouse because of November sweeps.

Also what important people are off the show?

To partially answer my own question, has the Doc been around this season? If'n then really I would suspect it was a contract thing and not a, "oh, we don't want her around anymore" thing.

amyzzz
11-12-2009, 08:48 AM
I meant I never saw Amy Acker/Whiskey whatever on it anymore, never saw Alpha, never saw the black handler guy (forget his name). I liked those characters a lot and missed them not being there.

iv3rdawG
11-12-2009, 09:45 AM
There have only been 4 episodes that have aired so far and the Doctor was just in the first one.

mountmccabe
05-16-2010, 09:09 AM
So I've been rewatching* Season 1 and I'm struck by how much stronger this is after I know what's coming. I like the focus. When I was first watching I liked the mystery, wondering about/slowly learning what was actually going on, what drove this world and this story. Yeah, some of the episodes're not that smooth and much of the acting is questionable... but this is SciFi and that doesn't phase me.

But yeah these episodes - "Man On the Street" in particular - really gave away far more than I picked up on at the time.

Even the opening title/credits sequence struck me as very directed and purposeful, even if I still hate the music and want to skip it.

* actually I had missed two of the episodes, so they were new to me

M Sparks
05-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Hmmm, maybe I should revisit.

mountmccabe
05-16-2010, 09:44 AM
You can borrow my copy next time I see you if'n you like.

miscorrections
05-16-2010, 09:55 AM
It's on Netflix instant.

M Sparks
05-16-2010, 10:07 AM
And now it's on my Netflix Instant Queue.

Honestly, I don't think I even saw the pilot. I missed the first couple of weeks I think, which probably didn't help.

amyzzz
05-16-2010, 10:17 AM
We downloaded it episode by episode for Season 1, but I never did finish up Season 2. I need to re-watch.

Alchemy
05-16-2010, 12:54 PM
I think I might check Buffy and Dollhouse out in the summer. I'd never seen any of Whedon's stuff until this past month. I sped through Firefly and Serenity and loved it.

MissingPerson
05-16-2010, 12:59 PM
The first series of Buffy is pretty crummy right up until the last episode. Then it's good stuff right up until s5, when Whedon stepped back for a while and left Marti Noxon slumped over the wheel careening through six lanes of traffic for a bit.

mountmccabe
05-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Honestly, I don't think I even saw the pilot.

Didn't help that they didn't air it.

I could probably deal with Joss not doing a show again better than Joss doing another show with FOX.

Also I'mn't gonna be where I can check such things; can someone assure me that they have Epitaph One available on Instant?

mountmccabe
05-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Also I have been considering going down the Buffy rabbit hole, too. My fondness of Joss has been renewed. Hmm.

M Sparks
05-16-2010, 08:27 PM
I have a complete Buffy set if you wish.

And MP, season 5 was when I first started to watch and get hooked. I think most seasons had their rough spots. Season 7 is my least favorite, but even that has some brilliant and/or really funny eps (Storyteller, Him, Conversations with Dead People.)

MissingPerson
05-16-2010, 09:15 PM
For me it felt like, after five years of being a tightly written show about a bunch of stupidly normal people who happened to have to fight a fuckload of b-movie monsters all the time, it just started to actually be about fighting the b-movie monsters.

It also became fairly apparent to me that Whedon had largely lost interest, having wrapped things up quite nicely for the show's would-be finale in the fifth year, other than to try out a few gimmicks he wouldn't get away with in Angel or Firefly, like the musical episode. Which was actually rather good, as musical episodes of anything go, but it felt like something of a last hurrah.

I was in school when Buffy started airing, and it was the show I and my friends used to talk about in the school canteen every week. I mean, a poor episode of Buffy was still streets ahead of most other shows, but I was really genuinely a bit saddened to see the state of it by the last season. I couldn't believe they went to such tremendous rounds to bring back Faith, for instance, only to write her so poorly. By then I'd already accepted that Xander and Willow just... just weren't the kids I used to know but Faith... that character blew my moody teenage fucking mind when I was fifteen, and seeing her pissed away like that, in the home stretch of a show that used to define my schoolweek, was just a bit like watching Billy Corgan rap for WWE.

Still though, The Body. I can think of few more genuinely traumatic television experiences than that one, and I mean that as high praise.

EDIT:

Except maybe the death of Lucy in ER. That fucked me right up, let me tell you.

EDIT 2:

Somebody needs to take Youtube upload rights away from Buffy fans. Or at least all their Evanescence albums. Jesus holy Christ, this is awful.

M Sparks
05-17-2010, 05:40 AM
Still though, The Body. I can think of few more genuinely traumatic television experiences than that one, and I mean that as high praise.

Anya's monologue. Am I right? I'm getting a little misty right now.

Yeah, I can understand that frustration, but it was new to me then. I think there was a point that Season 5 was the only thing I had seen. Then, the following year, FX started running daily reruns of seasons 1-5, so I was catching up while watching season 6 in real time. I may have started to see the cracks then, but I don't think it fell apart until season 7.

The other issue with season 6 and 7 is that the network change here in the US allowed them to get away with whatever they wanted, and the sex/violence level got ratcheted up to a distracting level. If they had the freedom all along, the whole series might have been better, but now they were acting like kids trying to get away with something while the teacher is away. I mean, Buffy & Spike literally fucked a house to rubble.

mountmccabe
05-23-2010, 09:01 PM
The commentary on "Ghost" is Joss and Eliza and a little weird. Eliza doesn't seem to have much to say and Joss doesn't get into much, either.

The commentary for "Man On The Street" is just Joss and it is fascinating. He talks a lot about what he likes in TV and what drives his shows. It really confirmed my love for his work and that I am picking up what he's laying down.

Just for reference I had the exact opposite reaction from hearing Mike Leigh talk after Happy-Go-Lucky. I enjoyed his film but under very different terms than he had intended.

MissingPerson
05-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Whedon does a great commentary for The Body as well, that's well worth hearing. He's best just left to natter away on his own.

mountmccabe
05-24-2010, 04:42 AM
Things're conspiring to make me watch this show.

sbessiso
12-26-2010, 05:32 PM
So this show is supposed to be good right? Saw it was on netflix instant and watched the first episode. I'm not sure if I liked it or not but im willing to give it a bit more time. Plus I REALLY REALLY have a crush on eliza

spiggums
12-26-2010, 06:37 PM
So this show is supposed to be good right? Saw it was on netflix instant and watched the first episode. I'm not sure if I liked it or not but im willing to give it a bit more time. Plus I REALLY REALLY have a crush on eliza

I've been a big fan of a lot of Whedon's shows. So I was hopeful going into it.

Then I watched it as it aired. Caught the first three episodes and decided it was awful and stopped.

A month or so later, a friend of mine whose opinion I trust was like "no... go back and watch it.. it picks up"

And I did. And man was I glad I did. Although with a start like that, it was going to be next to impossible to pick up more viewers cause it really did start off hella weak.

Anyhow, what I'm saying is... yes, watch it... get past the first few episodes and then it'll pick up.

MissingPerson
12-26-2010, 07:00 PM
It's patchy. When it's good, it's really really good, and it gets better every week - but Dushku, much as we all love her, is a questionable choice in a show that requires her to play lots and lots of characters who aren't quite Eliza Dushku. The format of the show also means that there's very little to lead you from one episode to the next; handy in one way, 'cause you can drop in and out of it, but it does mean that it didn't hook me in the same way as a show with a stronger arc.

The best episodes are the ones which hint at the grander plan behind the whole thing, which was sadly not fully realised.

sbessiso
12-26-2010, 09:59 PM
but Dushku, much as we all love her, is a questionable choice in a show that requires her to play lots and lots of characters who aren't quite Eliza Dushku.

LOL like her negotiator type character in the 1st ep. I found it quite amusing. But Im not kidding about the crush. theres just something about her. I fucking LOVED "Tru Calling"

I hear both you guys loud and clear. Im going to try to stick with it and see. But wow that IS a pretty weak pilot, right?

spiggums
12-26-2010, 11:42 PM
LOL like her negotiator type character in the 1st ep. I found it quite amusing. But Im not kidding about the crush. theres just something about her. I fucking LOVED "Tru Calling"

I hear both you guys loud and clear. Im going to try to stick with it and see. But wow that IS a pretty weak pilot, right?

oh man. It gets worse before it gets better. I think the one that left me removing it from the DVR was the "pop star" one.

Fortunately, when it hits it's stride and starts delving more into the larger arc it actually gets pretty dark and intriguing.

amyzzz
12-27-2010, 10:35 AM
We started up watching season 2 from Netflix since we never finished it. Gemma's right: when it's good, it IS really good, but half the time the show does not come together.