PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Records

thinnerair
02-18-2007, 07:50 PM
A friend of mine recently gave me a set of turntables since he didn't have room in his apartment to set them up. Along with the turntables, he gave me a crate of some old hip hop records to play around with and so he could play with them when he came over. It had been a while since I had listened to any of my old records, so I went to my parents house to see if I could find some of these records that I used to listen to as a teenager. They were all gone. So, while in Berkeley this weekend, I stopped over at Amoeba and just browsed around and found a used copy of Getz/Gilberto, one of my favorite albums that I used to have on vinyl. I was thrilled to find it for only $6. Sounds great.

menikmati
02-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Did you ever stumble across that old box of tapes at your parents house?

thinnerair
02-18-2007, 08:10 PM
i did find a huge bag of old tapes and started going through them, but havent come across "the" tape.

idrive1life
02-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Cool. That's a great find and yup, what a steal. I have the CD and SACD of that album. The Girl From Ipanema is awesome. (All I need is the vinyl version)

Okay, I have'nt loaded it in my iTunes - hmmm, I guess I'll just play some tracks in the Bebel Gilberto Remixed.

smellysocks
02-18-2007, 08:18 PM
i have a shit ton of tapes. My parents figured for a long time, that since i had a walkman they were going to buy shit tons of tapes. (shit ton of shitty tapes). I found Spice Girls, Savage Garden, and Jewel at my house the other day...ohh those were the days

thinnerair
02-18-2007, 08:20 PM
I bought 3 records while I was there.
Neutral Milk Hotel - In an Aeroplane Over the Sea
Snapcase - Designs for Automotion
Getz/Gilberto

I had remembered seeing a used copy of Jeff Buckley 'Grace' the last time I went there, but unfortunately it was gone. There was also a used copy of Dark Side of the Moon, but it looked a bit hammered, so I didn't get it.

idrive1life
02-18-2007, 08:29 PM
I hate and broke lot of those shitty tapes when I was a kid.

Vinyl > SACD/DVD-A > CD > MP3/MP4/Digital? > TAPES

I bought ton of The Beatles LPs early last year in e-bay and amazon marketplace. (Oh I'd buy them all again if they remaster, remix and do some more best of iterations in any form)

thinnerair
02-18-2007, 08:36 PM
the tape Menik is referring to is an old bootleg from a Nirvana show at Roseland in New York that someone I went to school with recorded using a tape recorder taped to his leg.

Im on eBay right now browsing around at some records of some of my favorite albums that I'd like to own and I find myself really wondering how much I'd spend on a record.
For example, one of my favorite albums ever, Hum -Downward is Heavenward, which is out of print, is going for $40 on eBay. Im just getting back into buying a few records here and there and not quite in that mentality of spending tons of dough on records yet...especially after scoring a few records for very little dough this past weekend.

smellysocks
02-18-2007, 08:41 PM
i wanted to throw in a tape anecdote
deal with it...haha

bmack86
02-18-2007, 09:08 PM
Hum is out of print? That is a damn good album

thinnerair
02-18-2007, 09:24 PM
yeah... the vinyl version is out of print.
Its a damn shame. That album is one of the most underrated albums to come out of the 90s.

bballarl
02-18-2007, 10:36 PM
I bought my vinyl copies of Getz/Gilberto and Aeroplane at Amoeba Berkeley as well. Hooray.

full on idle
02-18-2007, 11:35 PM
Is that Getz/Gilberto the one with "Girl from Ipanema"? I love that record.
I want NMH on vinyl. All my records are gone.

thinnerair
02-18-2007, 11:45 PM
There are a ton of different recordings of Girl from Ipanema, but I love the version on Getz/Gilberto. I also like this version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vne7Gue4Cdc) , featuring Frank Sinatra.