PDA

View Full Version : Official Confirmed Artists for 2010

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65

getbetter
11-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Jupiter ring ROLF ...... dude how can u complain about hot chip their fucking bad ass and we don't get hot chip twice a year like aka Atmosphere who does tour a shitload in the states.So they should be accept as third timer. I'm really liking the lineup coming out this next year. Just hoping for a confirm for Beastie boys .Maybe not The Who But like some crazy headlining reunion Talking heads. But I'll be just happy as long as I get to go to another coachella so whoever is there i'll be there.

Still-ill
11-16-2009, 02:14 PM
http://www.unbelgeaparis.fr/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/grammar_nazi2.jpg

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
11-16-2009, 02:15 PM
jupiter ring ROLF ...... dude how can u complain about hot chip their fucking badass and we dont get hot chip twice a year like aka Atmosphere who does tour a shitload in the states. I'm really liking the lineup coming out this next year.Just hoping for a confirm for Beastie boys .Maybe not the who and some crazy headlining reunion like Talking heads.But i'll be just happy as long as i get to go to another coachella so whoever is there i'll be there.

In the english language after you put a period you're supposed to make a space and then start with your next word. It makes you not look like such a dumbass

malcolmjamalawesome
11-16-2009, 02:15 PM
I don't think anybody was actually "over" justice in 2007, seeing as they'd just recently come out and had never played a show before. What you might have encountered there was sarcasm, you dizzy shit.

I saw a Justice DJ set at Pukkelpop in 2006. It was about 40000000 times better than any "live" set they've ever done.

Monklish
11-16-2009, 02:17 PM
My apologies, Mr. Piven.

BlackSwan
11-16-2009, 02:20 PM
In the english language after you put a period you're supposed to make a space and then start with your next word. It makes you not look like such a dumbass

Oh. Hi, irony.

obzen
11-16-2009, 02:26 PM
ROLF.

It's here.

Boourns
11-16-2009, 02:36 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/RolfHarris.jpg

Foucault
11-16-2009, 02:44 PM
definitely the quote of the day. you win.

p.s. i'm so fucking hardcore that in '07 i was already over Justice.

ELECtROjan
11-16-2009, 02:53 PM
It's not always Coachella's choice, guys. That's another thing y'all tend to forget.

Considering AEG's ownership it wouldnt be a bad idea to look into who's touring their other venues before and after this. Their influence in the lineup could extend far beyond bringing top notch talent out for this one weekend....

somebodytoldme
11-16-2009, 03:16 PM
idk... i mean they are releasing a new album, but seriously 3 in the last 4 is rediculous.

I think its something we have to come to expect now, because filling three days of one of the biggest festivals out there with popular bands is probably so much tougher for the organizers now than when it was only two days.

Monklish
11-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Considering AEG's ownership it wouldnt be a bad idea to look into who's touring their other venues before and after this. Their influence in the lineup could extend far beyond bringing top notch talent out for this one weekend....

Ah, this same retarded piece of logic that the flock of monkeys come in with every year. Guess what, guys? AEG/Goldenvoice do not dictate when/where bands play when they tour, especially not to the extent of re-engineering band's tour dates to fit around their fucking desert festival.

obzen
11-16-2009, 03:29 PM
I think its something we have to come to expect now, because filling three days of one of the biggest festivals out there with popular bands is probably so much tougher for the organizers now than when it was only two days.

Not if they brought a wider variety of music.

I'm sure theres alot of good acts out there that just haven't been asked.

malcolmjamalawesome
11-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Yeah! Like less Hot Chip!

Monklish
11-16-2009, 03:33 PM
'Cause it's easy to find bands that can pack the mojave and sahara like that. Seriously. It seems like almost every time I turn around the tents are overflowing, regardless of who's playing.

scoop49er
11-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Cheech and Chong

obzen
11-16-2009, 05:39 PM
What are you smoking?

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
11-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Cheech and Chong

I'd watch that

suprefan
11-16-2009, 06:06 PM

Actually its more of looking at whats happening NOW, more than the time period of the festival. Besides, they announced 4 shows happening at the glasshouse leading up to coachella, all subheadlining artists. so, whats your point.

ELECtROjan
11-16-2009, 06:29 PM
my point is that AEG just like LiveNation, HouseofBlues, etc. coordinate packages with artists and venues. Does that make sense to u?

ELECtROjan
11-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Ah, this same retarded piece of logic that the flock of monkeys come in with every year. Guess what, guys? AEG/Goldenvoice do not dictate when/where bands play when they tour, especially not to the extent of re-engineering band's tour dates to fit around their fucking desert festival.

In no way did I say they engineer or dictate anything. I suggested looking at AEG venues and tours might give a hint to who is playin at Coachella. And if my logic is so bad explain this:

MSTRKRFT First of God Tour last year.
El Rey (AEG)
Fonda (AEG)
Denver - Ogden (AEG)
Seattle - Showbox (AEG)
Houston - Warehouse (AEG)
Coachella (AEG).

RedThom
11-16-2009, 06:58 PM
El Rey (AEG)
Fonda (AEG)
Denver - Ogden (AEG)
Seattle - Showbox (AEG)
and then Coachella (AEG).

Its not random.

Citing Precedent Fail

dorkfish
11-16-2009, 07:01 PM
El Rey (AEG)
Fonda (AEG)
Denver - Ogden (AEG)
Seattle - Showbox (AEG)
and then Coachella (AEG).

Its not random.
It is and it isn't. AEG has a deal with LiveNation. LiveNation has partnerships with venues. AEG books shows primarily in the markets of the venues that you listed. Some booking agents have deals with LiveNation to book tours at LiveNation venues. Some don't.

While there can be found a correlation between acts that play GV/AEG venues and Coachella bookings, likewise there's probably a greater correlation between not playing AEG venues and Coachella bookings.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-16-2009, 07:56 PM
I had a dream about watching the Rolling Stones. Must be a sign.

If I had a dream about it then it must be confirmed in someway. Case in point is a list of dreams I had
here is a list of dreams I had:
Hearing Darkside of the Moon on the Polo Fields (tho in the dream it was Pink Floyd)
Hearing How Soon Is Now on the Polo Fields (tho in the dream it was The Smiths)
Now this? Who knows.

menikmati
11-16-2009, 07:58 PM
God please no.

Monklish
11-16-2009, 08:01 PM
In no way did I say they engineer or dictate anything. I suggested looking at AEG venues and tours might give a hint to who is playin at Coachella. And if my logic is so bad explain this:

El Rey (AEG)
Fonda (AEG)
Denver - Ogden (AEG)
Seattle - Showbox (AEG)
Coachella (AEG).

Now go through last year's Coachella lineup and see all the acts that were in the middle of Livenation tours. This is why your logic sucks. Now please shut up, we've been doing this for years.

obzen
11-16-2009, 08:09 PM
I just found out Deftones are holding a charity auction tomorrow for their bassist,Chi Cheng. Among the prizes(signed gear from Slayer,Metallica,System Of A Down etc.) are a pair of 3-day passes w/VIP for Coachella 2010. This kinda struck me as random. Yet they're slated to tour in support of a highly-anticipated new LP which will be released winter/spring of next year,hmm...

PassiveTheory
11-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Hot Chip is one of the most consistently good bands of the last decade, and they're a great live act so, pretty much, fuck you guys. If you can't be moved to dance by "Over and Over", then you've got no soul.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised that they play the main stage before the sunset act, much like Gogol Bordello in 2008. The Sahara can't hold them this time around.

ficklecycle
11-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Hot Chip is one of the most consistently good bands of the last decade, and they're a great live act so, pretty much, fuck you guys. If you can't be moved to dance by "Over and Over", then you've got no soul.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised that they play the main stage before the sunset act, much like Gogol Bordello in 2008. The Sahara can't hold them this time around.

Although I think they should be on the Main, I just don't see Hot Chip playing during the day again. They deserve a late night spot to really get the party going in the dark.

Monklish
11-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Seriously. I don't care where we have to put them just as long as they're not during the heat of the day again. It's fucking dangerous. Every time I end up nearly dying of dehydration.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-16-2009, 08:27 PM
God please no.

that was my reacton at 1st but what the hell. I'd rather see the stones over the who. Tho either wouldn't be in my top 8 choices of headliners. I wouldn't mind seeing the stones there after all.

gaypalmsprings
11-16-2009, 08:32 PM
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w302/gaypalmsprings/111609.jpg

Boourns
11-16-2009, 08:41 PM
If I had a dream about it then it must be confirmed in someway. Case in point is a list of dreams I had
here is a list of dreams I had:
Hearing Darkside of the Moon on the Polo Fields (tho in the dream it was Pink Floyd)
Hearing How Soon Is Now on the Polo Fields (tho in the dream it was The Smiths)
Now this? Who knows.

On Sunday morning I had a dream that I went to Coachella and didn't know the lineup until I got inside and bought a pack of posters which included 2010's. All the posters from past years were done in the 2009 style, as was 2010, and on the back of each poster was an aerial shot of the grounds. And the lineup was bizarre. Friday had Tool and Rage playing, plus Pavement and John Mayer (yikes), Saturday had Muse, and I don't remember what else. Sunday had Moby Grape headlining (wtf), with "U2 with Arcade Fire performing The Joshua Tree" on the second line, along with Pavement again. Also, I ran into different boardies as they were searching for ice. And nearly everything was under some shade. Good thing my dreams don't come true, eh?

boarderwoozel3
11-16-2009, 09:12 PM
So all this hoopla over a Hot Chip & xx date in SF on the Apr. 16th? It is a pretty ominous sign though.

seandlr
11-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Someone convince in 3 songs for Hot Chip. I downloaded their last album and sad to say, I thought it was terrible.

ficklecycle
11-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Someone convince in 3 songs for Hot Chip. I downloaded their last album and sad to say, I thought it was terrible.

And I Was A Boy From School, Ready For The Floor, Over & Over.

GeezrRckr
11-16-2009, 10:25 PM

yup.

Monklish
11-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Shake A Fist ought to be in there.

paulb
11-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Look After Me is the only Hot Chip track I can really stand...

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Hot Chip is veeery slowly growing on me still, but the one track I really love so far is One Pure Thought. I agree with Randy that Shake a Fist is really damn good too

It took me a while to even give them a chance because i fucking HATE HATE HATE ready for the floor and i could not escape that goddamn song last year...it was on every single DJ mixtape in the spring/summer of '08, and at every goddamn club, just fucking everywhere, and hating it upon first listen, being drowned by it did not help things

That said, the rest of the album is not terrible and I enjoy the aforementioned two tracks quite a lot

nbvcide
11-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Cheech and Chong
having just seen their show a couple weeks ago, i can tell you i wasn't impressed.. it was great to finally get to see a duo i thought i'd never see, but i was really let down by it.. having seen Tenacious D and Sublime, i'd rather have either of those.. or something new, like The Dan Band.. Richard Cheese & Lounge Against The Machine would be funny..

I just found out Deftones are holding a charity auction tomorrow for their bassist,Chi Cheng. Among the prizes(signed gear from Slayer,Metallica,System Of A Down etc.) are a pair of 3-day passes w/VIP for Coachella 2010. This kinda struck me as random. Yet they're slated to tour in support of a highly-anticipated new LP which will be released winter/spring of next year,hmm...

verrrrrry interesting..

Derekx
11-16-2009, 10:53 PM
I fell in love with Hot Chip when they played the Mojave. A very fun set that was definitely not expected. Sucks their Sahara set was cut short.

Gribbz
11-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Fortunately they won't be called "Sublime" for much longer.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/11/court-injunction-could-halt-sublime-reunion-.html

GeezrRckr
11-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Hot Chip is veeery slowly growing on me still, but the one track I really love so far is One Pure Thought. I agree with Randy that Shake a Fist is really damn good too

It took me a while to even give them a chance because i fucking HATE HATE HATE ready for the floor and i could not escape that goddamn song last year...it was on every single DJ mixtape in the spring/summer of '08, and at every goddamn club, just fucking everywhere, and hating it upon first listen, being drowned by it did not help things

That said, the rest of the album is not terrible and I enjoy the aforementioned two tracks quite a lot

understandable. i will say they are pretty fun live. i just lack enthusiasm for their studio stuff.

Egull
11-16-2009, 11:28 PM
When I saw them at Street Scene last year they played too many slow songs, and didn't play "Shake a Fist". I enjoyed the show, but the song selection could have been way better.

Monklish
11-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Not playing Shake A Fist is just insane. The breakdown in that song is my favorite thing they ever did.

Egull
11-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Honestly that was the song I was most excited for. I thought they were going to close with it, but I was sadly disappointed.

nbvcide
11-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Fortunately they won't be called "Sublime" for much longer.

i don't really care what they're called.. to me a band's music is far more important than their name.. but thanks.

Still-ill
11-16-2009, 11:43 PM
i don't really care what they're called.. to me a band's music is far more important than their name.. but thanks.

Either way... it blows.

Egull
11-16-2009, 11:43 PM

Since you didn't like the last album I am going to say: And I was a boy from school, The Warning, and No fit State. I feel like a lot of people are going to disagree with the last two songs, but I am suggesting them not only because I really like them, but they are really different from stuff on the new album so it will possibly give you a different view of them.

ficklecycle
11-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Since you didn't like the last album I am going to say: And I was a boy from school, The Warning, and No fit State. I feel like a lot of people are going to disagree with the last two songs, but I am suggesting them not only because I really like them, but they are really different from stuff on the new album so it will possibly give you a different view of them.

I still think The Warning is their best album.

Egull
11-16-2009, 11:46 PM
I still think The Warning is their best album.

I agree overall, but there are some songs on Made in the Dark that can compete with my favorites on The Warning.

nbvcide
11-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Either way... it blows.

the 40-50,000 people who saw them a few weeks ago would disagree.. outside of Coachella & *********, it was one of, if not the best set i've caught all year (out of hundreds of acts)

getbetter
11-17-2009, 12:51 AM
At first i didnt like hot chip's slow songs but they grew on me. I'm happy that there going be there

suprefan
11-17-2009, 06:10 AM
the 40-50,000 people who saw them a few weeks ago would disagree.. outside of Coachella & *********, it was one of, if not the best set i've caught all year (out of hundreds of acts)

It was the drugs..

Gribbz
11-17-2009, 06:50 AM
I think they should book "The Doors" and "Nirvana" this year and just hire some 21 year old kid to sing the songs. It's the same thing.

Egull
11-17-2009, 07:24 AM
I think they should book "The Doors" and "Nirvana" this year and just hire some 21 year old kid to sing the songs. It's the same thing.

I don't get it.

Gribbz
11-17-2009, 07:34 AM
Dude has been saying that it doesn't matter if Brad is no longer the singer.

Leeartlee
11-17-2009, 07:54 AM
Is there anything behind this Orbital rumor? Or is it just wishful thinking?

There is nothing concrete at all. They recently just had their last show in Ireland and there is no news (yet) on continuing on with their tour.

Right now, I would say our chances are 1:4

stephen22
11-17-2009, 08:11 AM

agreed. I couldn't even get into the Sahara. Finally said fuck it and got a gator on a stick.

betao
11-17-2009, 08:12 AM
In 08 I left to go to the bathroom right after whoever played before them. Afterwards I went back into the Sahara but it was overflowing. I gave up and instead went over to the mainstage to get ready for the epic night of Kraftwerk - Portishead - Prince.

Best decision evar.

luckyface
11-17-2009, 08:15 AM
In 08 I left to go to the bathroom right after whoever played before them. Afterwards I went back into the Sahara but it was overflowing. I gave up and instead went over to the mainstage to get ready for the epic night of Kraftwerk - Portishead - Prince.

Best decision evar.

Seeing Death Cab was the best decision ever?

I wanted to see Boy from School, and luckily they opened with that. I checked that out, high tailed over to Cinematic Orchestra, and then caught the whole Kraftwerk-Portishead-Prince extravaganza.

LiKeBuTtAh !
11-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Regarding a possible Pavement reunion at on the polo fields this article (http://www.nme.com/news/pavement/48093) is informative. It shows a hole in their schedule for which month in o-ten? Yep! April. They are also playing shows at the O2 in London, which has connections to AEG/Live & GV.

suprefan
11-17-2009, 08:24 AM

I wanted to see Boy from School, and luckily they opened with that. I checked that out, high tailed over to Cinematic Orchestra, and then caught the whole Kraftwerk-Portishead-Prince extravaganza.

I watched 10 minutes of Death Cab and didnt die, and when they finished half the crowd left and I got very close up front. BEST. DECISION. EVER

Regarding a possible Pavement reunion at on the polo fields this article (http://www.nme.com/news/pavement/48093) is informative. It shows a hole in their schedule for which month in o-ten? Yep! April. They are also playing shows at the O2 in London, which has connections to AEG/Live & GV.

Theres other stories which give better info on them playing coach btw.

luckyface
11-17-2009, 08:27 AM
I watched 10 minutes of Death Cab and didnt die, and when they finished half the crowd left and I got very close up front. BEST. DECISION. EVER

I got very close, too. I arrived during DCFC's last song after Cinematic Orchestra ended.

betao
11-17-2009, 09:03 AM

Seeing DFCF was a sacrifice I had to make.

But because of it, I was 3-4th row by the time Prince came on.

BlackSwan
11-17-2009, 09:05 AM

I didn't really like Hot Chip until I head them play this song live:

"Over and Over"

kHB9F8tvGVM

This song is great on headphones:

"The Warning"

u2F6tvQszuo

The song everyone should know:

"And I Was a Boy from School"

X-fu1PQWTBk

Give this one a try too:

"Playboy"

YAZIupX58h8

If you don't like any of those you'll never like Hot Chip.

Egull
11-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Dude has been saying that it doesn't matter if Brad is no longer the singer.

Ohhh haha, I agree. I thought you were talking about Hot Chip, and I was confused.

Gribbz
11-17-2009, 09:57 AM
"The Warning"

u2F6tvQszuo

I've always enjoyed the "Made in the Dark" track as well.

Leeartlee
11-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Over and Over is a great "I just got off work and I'm ready for the weekend" track

seandlr
11-17-2009, 10:02 AM
I didn't really like Hot Chip until I head them play this song live:

"Over and Over"

kHB9F8tvGVM

This song is great on headphones:

"The Warning"

u2F6tvQszuo

The song everyone should know:

"And I Was a Boy from School"

X-fu1PQWTBk

Give this one a try too:

"Playboy"

YAZIupX58h8

If you don't like any of those you'll never like Hot Chip.

I thought Playboy and Over and Over werent very appealing. But, I really enjoyed Warning and I Was a Boy from School. As long as there isnt any conflict, I wouldnt be opposed to catching thier set. Thanks.

Sleepingrock
11-17-2009, 10:15 AM
I had a dream that last night I climbed a parkade, and watched David Bowie play on a parkade and I was with Meowmixer....

2010?

BlackSwan
11-17-2009, 10:19 AM
New Hot Chip song...

http://www.thefader.com/2009/11/11/new-hot-chip-song-omg/

...Not bad.

Gribbz
11-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Ahhh I thought it was an even newer song.

BlackSwan
11-17-2009, 10:43 AM
I hadn't heard it yet. It was posted like a week ago.

GeezrRckr
11-17-2009, 11:09 AM
douchey coachellaleaks is poaching the board again (from twitter):

"Hot Chip, the XX announce tour together. No LA date means Coachella confirmation."

there's always one in the bunch, eh.

emtgreg
11-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Can we take that to mean that every band that doesn't play LA is confirmed to play Coachella?

Because we could really have some fun with that.

GeezrRckr
11-17-2009, 11:15 AM
:troll

sames44
11-17-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm surprised no one has created a CoachellaLeaks alias

Sonicifyouwantit
11-17-2009, 11:21 AM
I thought Playboy and Over and Over werent very appealing. But, I really enjoyed Warning and I Was a Boy from School. As long as there isnt any conflict, I wouldnt be opposed to catching thier set. Thanks.

I've seen Hot Chip 7 times and will continue to see them live...if you haven't do yourself the favor and see them...check out the coachella vids of their performance.

GeezrRckr
11-17-2009, 11:22 AM
because anyone who has spent even a minute on this board knows that the moment that someone were to post with that alias would then have their inbox filled with snarky, ironic and pointed hate mail.

i wonder if we'll ever uncover which one of us really is coachellaleaks. until the douche is revealed, i'm done with it. next!

Sonicifyouwantit
11-17-2009, 11:22 AM
New Hot Chip song...

http://www.thefader.com/2009/11/11/new-hot-chip-song-omg/

...Not bad.

I heard it on the filter link, darker sound...but actually "Shake A Fist" has a dark sound too

summerkid
11-17-2009, 11:23 AM
couldn't find the video of them playing this at coachella 07 but i'll post the glastonbury version.

GVxEnKwkerw

Sonicifyouwantit
11-17-2009, 11:29 AM
couldn't find the video of them playing this at coachella 07 but i'll post the glastonbury version.

I absolutely love when they blend into New Orders "Temptation" on this song...FULL ERECTION!

This Hot Chip thing is bullshit...bring them 3 out of the last 4 years?????? Yet fuck Underworld (who haven't played since 2003), leave them to that shitty Hard fest???? WTF?????? I'm outraged!

They can bring them back another four more years, alright by me. I do agree though Underworld needs to perform. It's their year...and a groove armada live set would be nice.

boarderwoozel3
11-17-2009, 11:48 AM

In '07 I didn't know Hot Chip and was hanging out in the shade between the Gobi and Mojave when their set started. I was drawn in by the energy. The tent was going nuts with people pouring out the sides and they killed the performance. Just saying, they can bring the party. For whatever reason I wasn't feeling their '08 set as much but everyone else seemed to be really into it.

weeklymix
11-17-2009, 11:55 AM
I saw them in '08 at ACL and they killed. I also had a blank white hat and took it to their signing session and they all spent about 10 minutes customizing my very own Hot Chip hat. Kind of cool.

summerkid
11-17-2009, 12:03 PM
In '07 I didn't know Hot Chip and was hanging out in the shade between the Gobi and Mojave when their set started. I was drawn in by the energy. The tent was going nuts with people pouring out the sides and they killed the performance. Just saying, they can bring the party. For whatever reason I wasn't feeling their '08 set as much but everyone else seemed to be really into it.

that tent in 2007 was crazy i walked out of their with my shirt drenched in other people's sweat. I dragged my friend to go see them and he was so glad i talked him into it. I missed their 2008 set though i was waiting up front for kraftwerkportisheadprince

Ardentbiscuit
11-17-2009, 01:56 PM
I found this old article from February..

Goldenvoice/AEG launches festival division headed by Stuart Ross Wed, Feb 18th 2009 11:21 am EST

By Jane Cohen & Bob Grossweiner

Promoter Goldenvoice/AEG has launched a North American festival division headed by music industry veteran Stuart Ross, who will be in charge of production and operations.

Ross will work on the company’s festivals, including the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival (Indio, CA), Stagecoach Country Music Festival (Indio, CA), The Mile High Festival (Commerce City, CO), Rothbury (Rothbury, MI) and All Points West Music & Arts Festival (Jersey City, NJ), among others.

A 30-year industry veteran, Ross was part of the original Lollapalooza team (1991-97), worked with Tom Waits for more than 20 years as his North American booking agent and tour director, and also served as tour accountant and/or tour manager for Metallica, George Michael, Weezer and Spinal Tap.

In addition to his new position, Ross will continue as Waits' booking agent and continue to operate his tour consulting firm, Music Tour Consulting.

Coachella will be held April 17-19; Stagecoach, April 25-26; Mile High Festival, July 18-19; Rothbury (July 2-5); and All Points West is yet to be announced.

http://www.ticketnews.com/Goldenvoice-AEG-launches-festival-division-headed-by-Stuart-Ross2918443

obzen
11-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Deftones are auctioning a pair of 3-day passes w/VIP to Coachella 2010 (http://www.charitybuzz.com/auctions/BenefitForChi/catalog_items/109111)starting at $200.00. Nobody has bid yet.

ficklecycle
11-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Deftones are auctioning a pair of 3-day passes w/VIP to Coachella 2010 (http://www.charitybuzz.com/auctions/BenefitForChi/catalog_items/109111)starting at $200.00. Nobody has bid yet.

Yeah someone posted this somewhere on here. Think it might have been this thread.

Wonder how much they'll go up to.

What are they raising money for?

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
11-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Deftones better be there next year
I havent seen them in like 3 years, I need my fix :D

obzen
11-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Is it some kind of indicator? I'm starting to wonder if they've been asked to play next year.

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
11-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Is it some kind of indicator?

lets hope

kroqken
11-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Magnetic Fields should play Coachella, they have an album out in January.

Coachella Leaks
11-17-2009, 03:45 PM
douchey coachellaleaks is poaching the board again (from twitter):

"Hot Chip, the XX announce tour together. No LA date means Coachella confirmation."

there's always one in the bunch, eh.

I am not poaching the board, I am ahead of everyone. Muhahaha

suprefan
11-17-2009, 03:47 PM

Really? Well you just killed your '' I am not one of you'' tweets regarding not being a board member. And this is sooo an alias. Youre still a piece of shit btw...

ficklecycle
11-17-2009, 03:49 PM

crap

Monklish
11-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Really? Well you just killed your '' I am not one of you'' tweets regarding not being a board member. And this is sooo an alias. Youre still a piece of shit btw...

... you really don't have the slightest bit of perspective how dumb you look, do you?

boarderwoozel3
11-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Haha. I was on the cusp of saying something similar but was rendered speechless by the sheer scope of his dipshitery.

Boourns
11-17-2009, 04:03 PM
The Kanye west homepage had coachella passes a couple years ago. He wasn't playing.

kroqken
11-17-2009, 04:04 PM

It is a response that is refreshingly sardonic and slightly urbane. If it ever got pedantic, I would call that out.

obzen
11-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Dipshitery. I'll have to remember that one.

rage patton
11-17-2009, 05:05 PM

The fuck?

obzen
11-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Apparently someone has made a bid for $200. Next minimum bid is set at $225.

rage patton
11-17-2009, 06:06 PM
When does the bidding end?

obzen
11-17-2009, 06:11 PM
12/08/09 -in 20 days.

MassiveChemicalPunk
11-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Deftones better be there next year
I havent seen them in like 3 years, I need my fix :D

Dude, I need my fix too. Saw them in 2006 and the show was intense.

I hope this Coachella VIP giveaway is cause they're playing...

dorkfish
11-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Dude, I need my fix too. Saw them in 2006 and the show was intense.

I hope this Coachella VIP giveaway is cause they're playing...
More like they asked a bunch of people to donate items for their comatose bass player's charity, and Goldenvoice supplied the tickets. They've played enough GV shows, that they probably have a good relationship.

obzen
11-17-2009, 07:24 PM
their comatose bass player's charity
Yeah,I mentioned that earlier.

The thing is though,they're also auctioning tickets for Bamboozle and KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas - both of which they've played before. They haven't played Coachella yet.

Besides that, they're a festival band.

rage patton
11-17-2009, 07:28 PM
If these are $500 or under the day the charity expires, im bidding.

kroqken
11-17-2009, 07:31 PM
More like they asked a bunch of people to donate items for their comatose bass player's charity, and Goldenvoice supplied the tickets. They've played enough GV shows, that they probably have a good relationship.

the Deftones did a free show a few years ago at a Best Buy parking lot when KROQ was promoting its calendar, and they played with Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, whose fans did not get along with the Deftones fans.

obzen
11-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Yeah,in 2006. I was there. It was apparent almost everyone went for Deftones. You could tell who was there for Red Jumpsuit Apparatus because they all had the same fucking hair-cut,the little twerps.
And yes,Red Jumpsuit Apparatus was/is complete shit.

Boourns
11-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Deftones fans love it when you refer to the band as The Deftones.

obzen
11-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Yeah I don't get it.
It's Deftones(which looks/sounds better).

Not The Deftones.

paulb
11-17-2009, 08:14 PM
are The Blur having any Coachella auction as well?

nbvcide
11-17-2009, 08:57 PM
The Kanye west homepage had coachella passes a couple years ago. He wasn't playing.

if by 'a couple years ago' you mean three years ago, then yes, he was a late add..

Boourns
11-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Yeah, but the whole thing with the tickets was after he played.

karma_guy
11-17-2009, 09:45 PM
i was re-listening to some king khan & BBQ/Shrines
and i came to the conclusion that coachella MUST HAVE either of these bands next year

digitaldragon03
11-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Sorry but if your band name is a plural version of a word (even a made up word), you are THE Deftones.

liquidsnake28
11-17-2009, 09:59 PM
You're one of The Liars.

Monklish
11-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Pixies.

Cdubby
11-17-2009, 10:03 PM
The Peaches

luckyface
11-17-2009, 10:04 PM
if by 'a couple years ago' you mean three years ago, then yes, he was a late add..

It was either last year or the year before. Not the year he played.

Monklish
11-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Beach Boys

obzen
11-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Sorry but if your band name is a plural version of a word (even a made up word), you are THE Deftones.

No,it's just Deftones. Straight up.
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/20/l_90b660bdf5d049ffb47a88cc63beb4d6.jpg

Dr. Lufs-al-ot
11-17-2009, 10:12 PM
A close friend of mine dated Steph for a bit.
Apparently he diggs rap

true story

obzen
11-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Duh.
He's also a big fan of Depeche Mode/Led Zeppelin/Meshuggah.

His autrographs tend to read: Steftones.

digitaldragon03
11-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Wikipedia solves all.

The name "Deftones" was created by Carpenter who wanted to pick "something that would just stand out but you know, not be all cheese-ball at the same time."[6] Carpenter combined the hip hop slang term "def", which was used by artists he listened to such as LL Cool J and Public Enemy, with the suffix "-tones", which was a popular suffix among 50s bands whose music he also enjoyed (e.g. Dick Dale and The Deltones; The Quin-Tones, The Monotones, The Cleftones and The Harptones). Carpenter said the name is intentionally vague to reflect the band's tendency to not focus on just one style of music.[6]The 50's had it right.

obzen
11-17-2009, 10:38 PM
I don't see where you're going with this. The band is still Deftones.

psycobetabuckdown
11-17-2009, 10:38 PM
What if your name is not plural (Arcade Fire) but everyone adds a "the" anyway even though all your printed materials don't contain the article in the name? Should there be a "the"?

suprefan
11-17-2009, 10:58 PM
What if your name is not plural (Arcade Fire) but everyone adds a "the" anyway even though all your printed materials don't contain the article in the name? Should there be a "the"?

Win butler says '' The Arcade Fire'', that makes that null and void.

nbvcide
11-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Smashing Pumpkins

obzen
11-17-2009, 11:09 PM
http://images.artistdirect.com/Images/a3/news/240/4812558_deftones_240.jpg
http://991.com/newgallery/Deftones-Live-383805.jpg
http://consequenceofsound.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/51284deftones-red-pony-posters.jpg
http://www.deftonesworld.com/covers/Deftones_-_Around_The_Fur-front.jpg

I rest my case.

TickleMeElmo
11-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Smashing Pumpkins

Not a plural so it doesn't count. It's meant as an action, a verb.

digitaldragon03
11-17-2009, 11:23 PM
I don't see where you're going with this. The band is still Deftones.
What im trying to say is that adding "The" to the band's name shouldnt cause the fans to get riled up and feel a need to point out the error.

Monklish
11-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Except that that's not their name. Kinda like The Blur.

steve7268
11-17-2009, 11:42 PM
haven't you seen Pretty Lights already? that would be a pretty easy choice if you have.

You would think so, but it has been my experience that he gets better every time you see him. I've seen him 4 times by the way. The last one was just amazing.

sonofhal
11-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Still hoping The The The play.

psycobetabuckdown
11-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Win butler says '' The Arcade Fire'', that makes that null and void.

Nope, it doesn't. Long after Win dies all we will have is what's written down and what's official.

I can't seem to find the "the" on this album cover:
http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/arcade-fire-funeral.jpg

or this one:

http://www.redimg.net/archivos/262/The_Arcade_Fire-Arcade_Fire_(Ep)-Frontal.jpg

If he said it then he said it though. I find that kinda strange he would say that but not write it down on the album covers or anything else to speak of. I'm guessing it doesn't make a difference to him. There are like 20 members in the band though, right? Maybe his brother hates the "the" and Win said that to spite him.

Boourns
11-17-2009, 11:56 PM
It just usually (not always) sounds better to have a "the" with plural band names. "White Stripes" just doesn't sound right.

liquidsnake28
11-17-2009, 11:58 PM
The Battles

rage patton
11-18-2009, 12:00 AM
I remember when Battles first started getting popular and everone was calling them The Battles.

Boourns does have a point though. Sometimes it does just feel natural to put a "The" in front of plural band names, even if there is no "the" in the name.

nbvcide
11-18-2009, 12:03 AM

i agree, but technically Pumpkins IS plural, it's only Smashing that's a verb..

but i guess people could try calling them Smashing The Pumpkins..

obzen
11-18-2009, 12:04 AM
What im trying to say is that adding "The" to the band's name shouldnt cause the fans to get riled up and feel a need to point out the error.

Okay. As long as you realize that is not what you were trying to say initially.

digitaldragon03
11-18-2009, 12:11 AM
It is what i was trying to say initially; its not what i said initially.

sonofhal
11-18-2009, 12:11 AM
i agree, but technically Pumpkins IS plural, it's only Smashing that's a verb..

but i guess people could try calling them Smashing The Pumpkins..

I prefer to call them "Formerly Great, Bollocks of Late".

Boourns
11-18-2009, 12:13 AM
I almost always say The Pixies but never The Cocteau Twins.

Boourns
11-18-2009, 12:14 AM
I prefer to call them "Formerly Great, Bollocks of Late".

Win.

Monklish
11-18-2009, 12:15 AM
I think The White Stripes just feels more natural because that's how we were introduced to it. It doesn't feel natural with The Beach Boys, or Annuals, or Black Lips, or Black Kids.

MissingPerson
11-18-2009, 06:03 AM
or this one:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7eDg_XOE5Is/R6CK-bBctwI/AAAAAAAACBM/vRGWoGrz5Nw/s320/Copia+de+ArcadeFireEP-1.jpg

Check the spine.

[nerd]

Butler reckons "The Arcade Fire" sounds like it's specifically referring to the fire they're named after, whereas "Arcade Fire" is just the name of the group. Win does, almost invariably, introduce the band as "The Arcade Fire from Montréal" when they go on stage, but when he talks about the band in any other contexts, he usually just says Arcade Fire. As does Richard, he rarely bothers with the The.

They've been asked about it before, and they don't mind one way or the other. It doesn't really matter to them and they go by both. Which is fine for them, but it's a pain in the ass for my MP3 player.

Cocteau Twins, on the other hand, will only go by Cocteau Twins and get kind of pissy about it. See the very start of this interview for both details:

ByX4oObvCHg

TommyboyUNM
11-18-2009, 06:27 AM
Boourns does have a point though. Sometimes it does just feel natural to put a "The" in front of plural band names, even if there is no "the" in the name.

It also feels natural for you to put "are" after every band name, even if the band name is singular (and a collective noun, and a proper noun, etc...). That doesn't make it correct. Faith No More IS a band, Josh.

=)

somebodytoldme
11-18-2009, 06:36 AM
I really hope Deftones don't play, because my guess is they'll be put on the same day as Faith No More and it'll turn out to be a huge tough guy fest like the Rage reunion did. I should have skipped that day altogether and will probably consider doing the same if the top lines are filled with bands geared towards the angry pit-starting demographic. Deftones > Faith No More > Muse is what one day night look like but haven't Deftones fallen off the radar in terms of immense popularity over the past few years?

Magnetic Fields should play Coachella, they have an album out in January.

They rarely play festivals because Merritt has that hearing problem where even the slightest of sounds begin to reverberate painfully in his ear drum, hence why their shows mostly take place in intimate theaters and they urge people not to clap or cheer for his sake. They also use stripped down acoustic instruments, even when they did their Distortion tour because of the hearing problem.

rskapcat
11-18-2009, 06:42 AM
It also feels natural for you to put "are" after every band name, even if the band name is singular (and a collective noun, and a proper noun, etc...). That doesn't make it correct. Faith No More IS a band, Josh.

=)

But "The Pixies is playing!" sounds retarded. While it's grammatically incorrect, sometimes it works better conversationally (especially with pluralized nouns as band names) to refer to the band as a group of individuals; i.e., "they".

MissingPerson
11-18-2009, 06:46 AM
"The pixies is playing!" sounds like a line from The Wicker Man or something.

The good Wicker Man, not the stupid bee one.

captncrzy
11-18-2009, 06:51 AM

CoS took this info this morning and posted it as a rumor.

captncrzy
11-18-2009, 06:53 AM
LOL Whining from Monklish

You can start holding me to this slightly
I'm more or less saying that these bands will be there:

1) As Tall As Lions
2) Avett Brothers
3) Bonobo
4) Craze and Klever
5) Deerhunter
6) Devo
7) Dirty Projectors
8) Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
9) El Gran Silencio
10) Faith No More
11) Florence and the Machines
12) Fool's Gold
13) Free Energy
14) Girls
15) Hot Chip
16) Iggy Pop and the Stooges
17) Imogen Heap
18) Little Boots
19) KiD CuDi
20) Major Lazer
21) MGMT
22) Micachu & The Shapes
23) Miike Snow
24) Muse
25) No Age
26) Panda Bear
27) Pavement
28) Perry Farrell
29) Phoenix
30) Pretty Lights
31) Quantic
32) Sleepy Sun
33) Spoon
34) Tallest Man on Earth
35) Tegan and Sara
36) The Antlers
37) The Dead Weather
38) The xx
39) Vieux Farka Touré
40) Vitalic
41) Yeasayer
42) Zoé

Muse is headlining one of the nights. My gut feeling for the other two are Beastie Boys and Pavement. I love Pavement, but I would prefer seeing them get the Pixies slot and just try to catch them on their inevitable West Coast tour.

I wouldn't expect Lady Gaga to play. For the same price that it costs to book her latest show, you could have Tool, GWAR, and the Arcade Fire play back to back to back. You'd get the spectacle, the catchy songs and the bad makeup. Personally, I wouldn't be heartbroken if Gaga plays in the Sahara. She has some fun outfits.

-----------------------------

Here's my now annual boring whining section that's not recommended for those that only care about the lineup.....

I'll probably delete some of these between now and January as I find out that things weren't true or didn't work out, and then people will call me a fraud. People will say that I'm stealing "confirmations" from the Coachella Message Board because someone made a wishlist that said Yeasayer months ago, so that means that they thought of the idea of a band playing the festival first. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I am still on a Sabbatical from posting in the Consequence of Sound comments section, so just a friendly reminder on the same old disclaimer: It's not me. So, while there's the standard internet douches that like using my name on there, this year brings a weirdo who posts as me defending myself. Creepy, a bit, but it's better that they troll me (or fake me or some concept of me) over there than here, right? There is also some aggro dude that's kinda sorta defending me, but mostly just pointing out how much of the Coachella Messsage Board internet stupity has overflown to Consequence of Sound. Alex runs a pretty good site, though.

Last complaint. A few of the message board people are a really self righteous sounding. Internet communities are usually skewed demographics of normal society, but they really could use trying the "eat their own" approach to make things more accessible for outsiders looking for information. They attempt to be informative by offering the same services as Consequence of Sound's Coachella confirmation and rumor section, but every single effort devolves into unreadable garbage. Then they have the brashness to complain in situations such as one of their members finds a Billboard article on Google News that says such-and-such band is playing Coachella and Consequence of Sound posts this found information without citing them as the source instead of the Billboard article. When presented with my makeshift blog and Consequence of Sound's easy layout, is it any doubt why people would choose not to sift through their mess? (And yes, I'm aware that "everything is on the first page". If it was deemed newsworthy enough, stick the thread to the top of the message board, change the title to something similar to "2010 Rumors: Updated Nov 17th", lock the thread, delete all but the first post, and have a moderator update it). Damn, you all frustrate me when I try to figure you out.

For perspective, this is what we have on our front page:

Confirmed
Devo http://themusicslut.com/2009/10/8-questions-with-devo/
Pretty Lights http://twitter.com/theprettylights
Zoe http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/espectaculos/93719.html
Miike Snow http://www.examiner.com/x-17319-Chic...-of-Miike-Snow
Craze and Klever http://amonly.com/default.aspx
Aeroplane http://www.myspace.com/aeroplanemusiclove
El Gran Silencio http://monterreyunder.wordpress.com/...oachella-2010/
As Tall As Lions http://www.neworleans.com/index.php?...73&Itemid=2322

Heavily Rumored
Pavement http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...vement_re.html

Muse (Begin US Tour in April)

Jack White in some form (said he might go to coachella on the vault chat someone took a screen shot here) http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...t=33601&page=8

Faith No More (Are apparently playing SF in April) http://twitter.com/Roddybottum

Iggy Pop and the Stooges (said he wants to play Coachella and it would fit into his schedule well) http://www.twentyfourbit.com/post/20...oachella-frodo

Spacemen 3-Offer to reunite for $500,000.
NSFW
http://www.buddyhead.com/gossip-130-...ka-suck-pedal/

Echo and the Bunnymen-Touring West and East Coast in April
http://www.bunnymen.com/#/news/

Vampire Weekend-Lediable said that they told him they were playing coachella after a show.

Hot Chip and the xx (touring together in April 16 in SF)

Tegan and Sara (spring tour does not include LA and stops in SLC Utah on April 6) http://teganandsara.com/shows/

Bad Lieutenant "additional dates in April" http://pitchfork.com/news/37101-bad-...ancel-us-gigs/

The Cribs-Johnny Marr said so after a show

Dirty Projectors (pancakes talked to them after the show and confirmed it)

Imogen Heap: wants to play and working on getting booked http://twitter.com/imogenheap/status/5180421079

Cornelius http://www.windishagency.com/avails
looking for opportunities in Spring around anchor festivals

Avett Brothers (playing in Nevada the weekend of Coachella and stagecoach http://www.theavettbrothers.com/events

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros (Coachella Bound was told by the band they have an offer to play)

I'll be curious to look back and compare the two.

Ardentbiscuit
11-18-2009, 06:54 AM
The or no The?

Plural or not plural?

Can I reuse my $10 water bottle?

Will there be fresh milk?

Has everyone lost their minds?

suprefan
11-18-2009, 06:59 AM
LOL Whining from Monklish

For perspective, this is what we have on our front page:

I'll be curious to look back and compare the two.

I have the right to complain. :nono

captncrzy
11-18-2009, 07:00 AM
:rolleyes

suprefan
11-18-2009, 07:01 AM
I still love you Jen. PLUR

TommyboyUNM
11-18-2009, 07:12 AM
But "The Pixies is playing!" sounds retarded. While it's grammatically incorrect, sometimes it works better conversationally (especially with pluralized nouns as band names) to refer to the band as a group of individuals; i.e., "they".

It sounds retarded because the band is called "Pixies" not "The Pixies." Hehe. But I agree and I only really ever gave people shit (in a tongue-in-cheek way) about the singular band names. "Faith No More are..." "Tool are..." "Muse are..." and so forth.

Though it's weird because "I hope Talking Heads is playing Coachella" doesn't sound all that awkward to me. But "The White Stripes is not playing" does sound awkward. Beastie Boys' Wikipedia page begins like this, "Beastie Boys is an American hip hop group from New York City." That doesn't seem weird to me, so maybe it's the article "the" that throws me off.

We can have this conversation in its entirety again if you want. :)

rskapcat
11-18-2009, 07:22 AM
That's the only thing we will do when you are in Dallas. No karaoke, just semantics. Though it looks like we agree, so it would be a really boring debate.

ficklecycle
11-18-2009, 07:27 AM
This girl I knew would always add "The" to one word band names. No matter what.

"The Muse", "The Wavves". It was really fucking annoying.

captncrzy
11-18-2009, 07:37 AM
:yyablo

MissingPerson
11-18-2009, 07:39 AM
The captncrzy's right. We're beating The dead horse.

rskapcat
11-18-2009, 07:46 AM
I'd never noticed that the abusive smilies are smiling before the beating begins. Or is after? Creepy.

luckyface
11-18-2009, 07:56 AM

Actually, smashing is not meant as an action. I read somewhere that the "smashing" is an adjective. So they are the "The Impressive or Wonderful Pumpkins."

thestripe
11-18-2009, 08:24 AM
The or no The?

The. Always.

rage patton
11-18-2009, 08:35 AM

=)

Somehow I just KNEW that was going to come up. I love you Tommy. You never let me down. (P.S. Go listen to my bands EP. You can find it in the music lounge).

THANK YOU, BECCA! See Tommy? (P.S. You should go listen to my EP too. I would love to hear what you think. I think you will like it).

Leeartlee
11-18-2009, 08:37 AM
WTF are you guys talking about? Is it seriously a debate over adding "the's" and pluralizing bands?

CellarOwl
11-18-2009, 08:40 AM
This is all The Blur's fault.

Leeartlee
11-18-2009, 08:42 AM
The Blur was a joke. What's going on here is another beast entirely.

rage patton
11-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Does Monklish really think the headliners are going to be Muse, Beastie Boys, Pavement? Talk about the weakest headliners of Coachella history. I do think Muse and the Beastie Boys will headline... but Pavement will not be the other headliner.

captncrzy
11-18-2009, 08:54 AM
I personally think it's funny that she can't take the assholiness of us. If it's that bad, then don't do your stupid blog, dumbass.

Leeartlee
11-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Considering this is where she mines her info, you would think she had built up a thicker skin by now

Monklish
11-18-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm going to really enjoy commenting as Monklish on his/her blog.

thestripe
11-18-2009, 08:59 AM
That new Muse song makes me want to puke everytime I hear it. Especially the parts that include the guitar sound that mimics the Blondie song "Call Me". Fucking blah.

Sonicifyouwantit
11-18-2009, 09:04 AM
It sounds retarded because the band is called "Pixies" not "The Pixies." Hehe. But I agree and I only really ever gave people shit (in a tongue-in-cheek way) about the singular band names. "Faith No More are..." "Tool are..." "Muse are..." and so forth.

Though it's weird because "I hope Talking Heads is playing Coachella" doesn't sound all that awkward to me. But "The White Stripes is not playing" does sound awkward. Beastie Boys' Wikipedia page begins like this, "Beastie Boys is an American hip hop group from New York City." That doesn't seem weird to me, so maybe it's the article "the" that throws me off.

We can have this conversation in its entirety again if you want. :)

A band is a collective so it's singular to me.

ficklecycle
11-18-2009, 09:06 AM
crap

Sonicifyouwantit
11-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Does Monklish really think the headliners are going to be Muse, Beastie Boys, Pavement? Talk about the weakest headliners of Coachella history. I do think Muse and the Beastie Boys will headline... but Pavement will not be the other headliner.

So you really only have a problem with 1/3 of that argument.

Leeartlee
11-18-2009, 09:08 AM
So you really only have a problem with 1/3 of that argument.

The math makes sense...

paganman7
11-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Nothing could be as bad as last year's headliners. As a group, that was as bad as it has ever, and hopefully will ever, get.

Sonicifyouwantit
11-18-2009, 09:13 AM
The math makes sense...

hey "two out of three ain't bad"

Except last time beasties headlined it was tragic...and are they even touring right now? Fighting cancer seems to conflict with tours.

Monklish
11-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Why does anyone think Beasties are gonna play anywhere?

Leeartlee
11-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Personally, I fucking hate, hate, Beastie Boys. Do people know that when they started out, they were mocking hip hop intentionally? Somehow, the joke was lost and they become heavy hitters.

I really hope GV has something better in store for us.

liquidsnake28
Nothing could be as bad as last year's headliners. As a group, that was as bad as it has ever, and hopefully will ever, get.

Last year's headliners were definitely weak but you're lying to yourself if you don't think it will ever get worse. All good things of this nature start to suck eventually.

Monklish
If Muse headlines, which I don't find unlikely, they will be the weak headliner out of the three. Pavement ain't fucking headlining. I say it again:

NOBODY REALLY KNOWS WHO PAVEMENT IS.

rage patton
11-18-2009, 09:18 AM
MCA has apparently overcome the cancer and is well on the road to recovery. They are talking about a Spring release for the new album and a possible tour as well.

Mau5 Boyz
The headliners were supposed to be..

Friday

David Bowie
Muse / Pavement

Bowie backed out again.

Saturday

Beastie Boys

Can't tour because of the cancer recovery.

Sunday

Michael Jackson

Can't play for obvious reasons.

That's why the dates aren't out yet.

They may have to put the festival on hold until 2011 because of set backs.

liquidsnake28
Personally, I fucking hate, hate, Beastie Boys. Do people know that when they started out, they were mocking hip hop intentionally? Somehow, the joke was lost and they become heavy hitters.

I really hope GV has something better in store for us.

Didn't they start out as a hardcore punk band? Maybe they're trying to be the worst of every genre?

Leeartlee
11-18-2009, 09:19 AM
If Muse headlines, which I don't find unlikely, they will be the weak headliner out of the three. Pavement ain't fucking headlining. I say it again:

NOBODY REALLY KNOWS WHO PAVEMENT IS.

Muse is this years, "Let's bump someone up a notch to headliner" artist of the year. So I agree, that will be our weakest headliner.

Monklish
11-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Ugh. That's all we need--forty-five year old Jews who look sixty bouncing around on stage with their pathetic bullshit.

paganman7
11-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Last year's headliners were definitely weak but you're lying to yourself if you don't think it will ever get worse. All good things of this nature start to suck eventually.

Nope, last year was fucking atrocious. My personal headliners this past year were:

Friday: The Presets
Saturday: Spicy Pie
Sunday: Groove Armada

Sonicifyouwantit
11-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Ugh. That's all we need--forty-five year old Jews who look sixty bouncing around on stage with their pathetic bullshit.

Screw it, I give up. Let's just bring Red Hot Chili Peppers back. All the KROQ fans can show up and burn things.

TommyboyUNM
11-18-2009, 09:24 AM
WTF are you guys talking about? Is it seriously a debate over adding "the's" and pluralizing bands?

The pluralizing argument has been going on for a year and is really just done in jest at this point. Just go ahead and plead ignorance on this one.

A band is a collective so it's singular to me.

Yup. SEE, JOSH.

ficklecycle
11-18-2009, 09:25 AM
The headliners were supposed to be..

Friday

David Bowie
Muse / Pavement

Bowie backed out again.

Saturday

Beastie Boys

Can't tour because of the cancer recovery.

Sunday

Michael Jackson

Can't play for obvious reasons.

That's why the dates aren't out yet.

They may have to put the festival on hold until 2011 because of set backs.

This had to be quoted cause it cant stay buried.

rage patton
11-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Yup. SEE, JOSH.

Whatever. Go listen to my EP.

Sonicifyouwantit
11-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Nope, last year was fucking atrocious. My personal headliners this past year were:

I could hardly call Paul McCartney atrocious...he may not be your cup o' tea but come on. I caught a few songs of his, he entertained tens of thousands of people and kept the Sahara at a desirable crowd level. He's alright in my book.

Still-ill
11-18-2009, 09:27 AM

Those headliners suck.

Sonicifyouwantit
11-18-2009, 09:28 AM

I preferred the Pastrami Sandwich over the spicey pie this year.

Still-ill
11-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Spicy Pie was better than the killers though. Spicy Pie was fantastic.

Sonicifyouwantit
11-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Spicy Pie was better than the killers though. Spicy Pie was fantastic.

Definitely better than the killers.

EDIT: Also the Presets were one of my favorite performances this year.

GeezrRckr
11-18-2009, 09:33 AM

^agreed...will be hard to stoop that low again. on the other hand, once you check off muse, what other *touring* band right now has a genuine shot at headlining coachella this year? unless they come up with a bowie caliber get, it's slim pickings. as disappointed as i was with the killers headlining last year, arcade fire is really not likely as big of a draw as them (and i love AF, just saying that they lack the fanbase the killers do).

and, new matt bellamy solo album aside....i predict that muse is going to win some folks over on this board. i've seen them 3x and they are, hands down, my favorite live (large) act touring right now (esp now that Trent has retired). there is a reason why they keep winning "best live act" year after year across the pond.

but, really....do we care that much about headliners anyway?

obzen
11-18-2009, 09:33 AM
It is what i was trying to say initially; its not what i said initially.

crombrenner
11-18-2009, 09:34 AM
I loved the Spicy Pie til I cracked one of my teeth on it's crispy crust. Damn you spicy pie!!

Boourns
11-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Bands are collectives and therefore singular, but sometimes it is perfectly cromulent to refer to one as a plural like so:
1. (the) Pixies are playing? Nice.
2. Blur is one of those bands that i needed to see for a long time, and when i finally did, they killed it.

Did I just open another can of worms?

suprefan
11-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Yes, and NO, PULP WILL NOT BE PLAYING.

Boourns
11-18-2009, 09:40 AM
What are you talking about? Tourettes much?

But they would save 2010 from the current suspected mehness.

obzen
11-18-2009, 09:41 AM
I really hope Deftones don't play, because my guess is they'll be put on the same day as Faith No More and it'll turn out to be a huge tough guy fest like the Rage reunion did. I should have skipped that day altogether and will probably consider doing the same if the top lines are filled with bands geared towards the angry pit-starting demographic. Deftones > Faith No More > Muse is what one day night look like but haven't Deftones fallen off the radar in terms of immense popularity over the past few years?
What the fuck is wrong with you?!

Deftones are like The Cure/The Smiths/Depeche Mode of metal,and depending what type of material they play it might not be the mosh-pit happy crowd that you mentioned earlier. You obviously have a predispostion and furthermore,you don't even know what you're talking about . Besides,not everything is rainbows and sunshine.

captncrzy
11-18-2009, 09:42 AM
God, stop with the "the" shit already.

Gribbz
11-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Has a Pavement album even gone gold in the US?

chairmenmeow47
11-18-2009, 09:57 AM
god i hope and pray the deftones come no where near coachella ever. they do not belong.

obzen
11-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Speak for yourself.

If Tool/Rage Against The Machine/Mike Patton/Mastodon belong, so do Deftones.

Monklish
11-18-2009, 10:05 AM
If Deftones would let me know ahead of time when they'd be playing Head Up or Engine No. 9, I'd be there.

If they're really apparently the Depeche Mode of metal, well, that's sad. They used to be some bad motherfuckers.

obzen
11-18-2009, 10:08 AM
They were fucking insane in the early shows,almost too insane-jumping off 20-foot PAs and whatnot.
But you could still be transcendent and be bad motherfuckers at the same time.

Deftones is straight pimp music though. They have alot of cuties for fans.

ficklecycle
11-18-2009, 10:09 AM
I'd watch Deftones. Jus sayin.

TommyboyUNM
11-18-2009, 10:19 AM
I've seen Deftones 5 times. They were really fucking good 3 times and really really sucked the other 2 times. The show all depends on how Chino is feeling. The other guys are pretty consistent, Abe is especially good, but Chino can really fuck up a show.

If they played White Pony all the way through, I'd be there for sure. I'm not really in a hurry to see them a 6th time, but I wouldn't be opposed to them being at Coachella. There are have been much heavier bands at the fest than Deftones.

ficklecycle
11-18-2009, 10:25 AM
What was that band that had a human pyramid forming in the crowd? It was in the Mojave or Gobi in 08. Very late at night.

Edit: It was Enter Shikari. If they can play Coachella, Deftones surely can.

Monklish
11-18-2009, 10:58 AM
White Pony is when I tuned out. The pit at Convention Hall in Asbury Park during the Adrenaline tour was one of the scariest ones I ever set foot in though. It was seemingly nothing but 250 pound plus guys either in ECW t-shirts or shirtless to show off their knife/bullet scars.

Sonicifyouwantit
11-18-2009, 11:04 AM
I loved the Spicy Pie til I cracked one of my teeth on it's crispy crust. Damn you spicy pie!!

Gotta lay of that soda pop...its eroding your teeth.

Sonicifyouwantit
11-18-2009, 11:06 AM
God, stop with the "the" shit already.

The The...now there's a band.

Leeartlee
11-18-2009, 11:10 AM
The The...now there's a band.

Oh if you want to hear about that, you need to hit up the original thread

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33998

Ardentbiscuit
11-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Favorites so far:

The Blur

Dove

I'm hoping someone says The David Bowie or Smash Pumpkin soon.

I've had Spicy Pie, I can't really remember it.

Was it that good?

I found their website, you can hire them to set up at your next home/family/friend event...

http://www.spicypie.com/

ficklecycle
11-18-2009, 11:19 AM
I've had Spicy Pie, I can't really remember it.

Was it that good?

I found their website, you can hire them to set up at your next home/family/friend event...

http://www.spicypie.com/

It was pretty good. I remember friday night in 07 they were selling slices for a dollar during Bjork. They were cold, but for $1 I wasn't complaining.

Monklish
11-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Ugh. Spicy Pie is barely edible. You people suck.

obzen
11-18-2009, 11:22 AM
At the campsite this year where I set up my tent,I was practically looking at Spicy Pie's stand the entire weekend.

Crushing blows.

luckyface
11-18-2009, 11:27 AM
If they're really apparently the Depeche Mode of metal, well, that's sad. They used to be some bad motherfuckers.

Chino has long expressed his love for Smashing Pumpkins, the Cure, and Depeche Mode. I am sure he would find that designation to be complimentary.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-18-2009, 11:37 AM
yep, Detones made appearances on both Depeche Mode and The Smiths tribute albums and has also covered The Cure, Duran Duran, and Cocteau Twins, among others

Monklish
11-18-2009, 11:42 AM
I think almost anybody in a rock band that came up in the 90s probably liked Depeche Mode and the Cure. I'm just saying that Deftones sounded NOTHING like the Depeche Mode of metal back in the Around The Fur/Adrenaline period. I can see how that change started to happen with White Pony though, which is why I bailed.

liquidsnake28
11-18-2009, 11:56 AM
They didn't go any further in that direction. They went back to their older, heavier style. Too bad all of the songs they wrote after White Pony sucked. The self titled album that came out after White Pony was horrible, then Saturday Night Wrist was decent at best, and I don't know if they have a sixth one yet. However, they're still awesome live when they want to be. I saw them last year at Spaceland and they played lots of old stuff, great show. They won't be at Coachella next year anyway. If they ever had a chance it would have been the year White Pony came out.

Boourns
11-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Huge shocker here. Radiohead has no plans to play anywhere next summer:
http://www.primaverasound.com/foros/viewtopic.php?p=267411&highlight=#267411

Gabi Ruiz is one of the directors of the Primavera festival.

Monklish
11-18-2009, 12:03 PM
The second that Chino's lyrics started making any sense whatsoever I knew they were doomed.

obzen
11-18-2009, 12:14 PM
^Ha!

Adrenaline was straight up street metal. The Cure/Smashing Pumpkins/Sepultura/Bad Brains bashed to a pulp with left-field tendencies.

But Chino started singing because of Robert Smith. At the same time, he conveys the same kind street-wise cool as Dave Gahan while emulating Morrisey's sense of self-loathing. This became largely apparent in Around The Fur.

Monklish
11-18-2009, 12:21 PM
I don't care who the fucking influences are. They sounded absolutely nothing like that shit when they first came out is my point. They were one of the few bastions of good early nu-metal before it all turned to shit.

nationocean
11-18-2009, 12:26 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Gb0zTYd5B-A/SqabxxRNKII/AAAAAAAABIg/hvyXcxn_bJM/s320/white_pony.jpg

classic.

obzen
11-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Too bad all of the songs they wrote after White Pony sucked. The self titled album that came out after White Pony was horrible.

Totally untrue.

Ever heard of song like: When Girls Telephone Boys/Needles and Pins/Good Morining Beautiful?
Archetypical Deftone songs.

Plus,Lucky You or Anniversary Of An Uninteresting Event--hardly sophomoric.

And despite the turmoil it took to churn,Wrist is just crazy artistic. One could argue the influence Chino's speed addiction had on the song-writing,especially vocals melodies/hooks.

BlackSwan
11-18-2009, 12:28 PM
I am surprised anyone continued listening to the Deftones after the 90's.

obzen
11-18-2009, 12:37 PM
I could say the same thing about Blur.

obzen
11-18-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't care who the fucking influences are. They sounded absolutely nothing like that shit when they first came out is my point. They were one of the few bastions of good early nu-metal before it all turned to shit.

What did you expect from a world-class band that had so much more influences/savy in them than to write a bunch of chug-fest nu-metal anthems,especially when there were all kinds of other bands(including Korn) that started to rip them off. Nu-metal was a dead and bloated corpse by 1998,if they never spread their wings like they did with White Pony,they probably would've painted themselves into a corner a la Korn/SOAD/Rage Against The Machine.

That's proabably why Tool and Deftones share the same fans and they draw so many comparisons.

Monklish
11-18-2009, 12:43 PM
I suppose. Either way White Pony was lame.

MOVING ON.

Geno_g
11-18-2009, 12:47 PM
^Compared to Adrenaline and Around The Fur, I agree, but their newer shit sucks, but I enjoyed White Pony

Monklish
11-18-2009, 12:49 PM
MOVING ON

BlackSwan
11-18-2009, 12:50 PM
I could say the same thing about Blur.

But not for the same reason.

CellarOwl
11-18-2009, 12:50 PM
http://www.mp3boo.com/cover-album/pony.jpg

getbetter
11-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Deftones are cool i like them but when i saw them at smokeout i wasn't into it and too lazy to move and found myself bored new metal it just plain out like a 80's hair metal

Leeartlee
11-18-2009, 12:52 PM
I suppose. Either way White Pony was lame.

MOVING ON.

In order for that to occur, something needs to fill the void. For example, if someone were to state that Bowie would not be a great headliner because he is a highly overrated artist, that might redirect this thread.

Monklish
11-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Who the fuck quotes The Importance Of Being Earnest in their sig?

Leeartlee
11-18-2009, 12:54 PM
People who've read literature and have appreciation for it

Leeartlee
11-18-2009, 12:55 PM
And I'm not serious about Bowie, I think he is very talented

BlackSwan
11-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Here we go.