PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2010 Glastonbury Coachella Board Meetup

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15

shakermaker113
06-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Yes... that is what I meant, I have completely lost track of who is playing which nights at glastonbury. :D

sounds like a job for the augmented reality iphone app.

chiapet
06-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Too bad data usage is so expensive. A small GPS unit would work, they're kind of pricey though and I'm trying not to spend any more money before I leave.

shakermaker113
06-11-2010, 08:21 PM
I think it would take me an hour just to look through all the acts to pick which ones I want to highlight on the clashfinder. INSANE.

chiapet
06-11-2010, 08:37 PM
I can't even read the clash finder once I add in every stage I'm interested in. I try but then my head explodes. I'll end up just wandering around for 5 days.

shakermaker113
06-11-2010, 08:39 PM
from what I can tell it's going to take a long time to get from west dance to the glade. right?

chiapet
06-11-2010, 09:33 PM
It kind of looks like you could just cut through the dance field, but really I don't know what to make of the map at all.

chiapet
06-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Okay, the festival info guide says the Glastonbury town bus starts running at 7AM on Wednesday: http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/_assets/pdf/fineguide10.pdf

I uhm guess I'm up for trying to be on the 7AM bus. :)

Boourns
06-11-2010, 11:59 PM
from what I can tell it's going to take a long time to get from west dance to the glade. right?

Not really. There's a path that goes through the dance village, which goes around the Other area and ends up at the Glade. Maybe 5-10 minutes without major traffic?

Boourns
06-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Karaoke, anyone? Lots of places for it at Glasto...two in the Shangri-la alone. Or if you'd rather, raveoke. No, seriously, that's a thing.

Sushov23
06-12-2010, 01:12 AM
How far away is the park stage, from the John Peel stage? what about the Pyramid to the west dance stage?

paulo999
06-12-2010, 01:41 AM
How far away is the park stage, from the John Peel stage? what about the Pyramid to the west dance stage?

JP to Park about 30 mins or so, again without much traffic.

Pyramid to West Dance a little less. It's best to take the right hand side of the Pyramid stage to leave there, down a long market strip called The Silverhayes Road, and that drops you at the south entrance to the DV. West Dance is at the other end.

Remember these times can go up significantly if an act has just finished.

As a piece of general advice, don't get too hung up on seeing everything you can theoretically see. I tend to mark up all the things I'm interested in, even if they clash, and then use it as a menu to glance at as and when I feel like moving on.

Alot of people going for the first time - kid in a candy store - try to run a schedule (I did), and then when they go back again realise that it's more enjoyable to take it as it comes - with a few "must sees" of course. YMMV :)

Sushov23
06-12-2010, 04:19 AM
JP to Park about 30 mins or so, again without much traffic.

Pyramid to West Dance a little less. It's best to take the right hand side of the Pyramid stage to leave there, down a long market strip called The Silverhayes Road, and that drops you at the south entrance to the DV. West Dance is at the other end.

Remember these times can go up significantly if an act has just finished.

As a piece of general advice, don't get too hung up on seeing everything you can theoretically see. I tend to mark up all the things I'm interested in, even if they clash, and then use it as a menu to glance at as and when I feel like moving on.

Alot of people going for the first time - kid in a candy store - try to run a schedule (I did), and then when they go back again realise that it's more enjoyable to take it as it comes - with a few "must sees" of course. YMMV :)

Yeah I go to all my festivals with a take it as it comes mentality. I have found it best to go that route. I usually only make it a point to make 3 acts per day must sees, and then go with the flow for the rest of the time i'm there. It's how i've stumbled onto some great sets at festivals. Thanks for the info, it's for some friends going. I'll make sure to tell them everything you just shared with me. I very much appreciate your advice, and recomendations.

chiapet
06-12-2010, 08:59 AM
I've been doing the clash finder in a color coded system of "must see", "very interested in" that I'll try to see if I think I can get to the stage easily enough, and "if I don't feel like wandering" sets. I've only marked 9 things as must see the whole weekend.

This brings me to a question! Electronic acts.... some are labeled Live, some are labeled DJ, some are not designated at all.

Should I assume that if they are on a main stage, they are "live", and if they are on a smaller stage or Shangri-La type area, it is a DJ set unless explicitly labeled live?

Some examples:
the Orb - Cubehenge is marked live, the glade is not
Rusko - west dance is marked DJ, the hub stage is not
"808 State DJs" on the lineup and in the glade lounge, but just labeled "808 State" in "bez's acid house"

(this last one is the main reason I'm asking :P )

chiapet
06-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Oh and greg, I saw raveoke, and it sounds AWESOME, though I'm trying to imagine people "singing" rave songs. It is making me think of the MJA lemonade contest with "singing" sandstorm.

Boourns
06-12-2010, 10:15 AM
BBC6 said the strokes are playing. If, and that's a snorlaxy big if, that's correct, then Saturday in the park? They are in France on Friday and Julian is on sunday.

chiapet
06-12-2010, 11:46 AM
I wish we would bring Glasto the weather we're having in SF.... slight breeze, clear, sunny, already 82F when the forecast was only for 75F :)

sonofhal
06-12-2010, 12:49 PM
http://web.orange.co.uk/article/news/wellies_to_recharge_mobile_phones

Wellies that charge your phone!

chiapet
06-12-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about generating electric currents in my rain boots.

I'm going to test my phone the first few days I'm in London to see how long I can get by on one charge if I have data + gps turned off.

sbessiso
06-12-2010, 01:32 PM
backpack has been purchased!

http://media.rei.com/media/zz/a47c22d3-a71f-4a6c-a5fc-569139bc7c1c.jpg

the user reviews online are great, thank god.

chiapet
06-12-2010, 01:44 PM
The reviews for mine are not good (apparently one of the parts breaks quite often). It's making me nervous. It was the most comfortable one by a long shot though. I almost took it back but I'm going to just see how it works. Hopefully that's not a mistake.

If you have your backpack, you're practically ready to go ;)

shakermaker113
06-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Should I assume that if they are on a main stage, they are "live", and if they are on a smaller stage or Shangri-La type area, it is a DJ set unless explicitly labeled live?

Some examples:
the Orb - Cubehenge is marked live, the glade is not
Rusko - west dance is marked DJ, the hub stage is not
"808 State DJs" on the lineup and in the glade lounge, but just labeled "808 State" in "bez's acid house"

I think it might depend who is organizing the stage. some might be prudent enough to distinguish live from dj. the orb, for example -- acording to their myspace cubehenge is a "greatest shits" set and glade is a baghdad batteries set "with full lights". sounds like both are live to me.

I had assumed that the unmarked 808 state slots were live.

backpack has been purchased!

http://media.rei.com/media/zz/a47c22d3-a71f-4a6c-a5fc-569139bc7c1c.jpg

the user reviews online are great, thank god.

congrats!

Boourns
06-12-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm bringing the one suitcase here that still zips. The frame is all broken to pieces on the inside, though.

rideincircles
06-12-2010, 08:13 PM
I already have most of my pack ready after I put it together yesterday. Now I am a lot less worried on that end. I am still debating about double checking with baggage people at the airport to see if its not oversized since I have to pick up Zoie at DFW next Saturday. Probably gonna run and drop off her stuff at the crib then head to Dallas for Electric Daisy Carnival. Might as well.

I have a few picks
Phoenix
Gorillaz to Dance village
Dead Weather
Muse
Holy Fuck
faithless
Crystal Castles

Tons of other selections to find.

T-minus 10 days. Dizzammmm....

unit300021
06-12-2010, 11:31 PM
just reading this thread is making it clear to me that I must go to Glastonbury some time in the next few years while I'm still young and don't have more responsibilities with my life.

Boourns
06-13-2010, 09:40 AM
just reading this thread is making it clear to me that I must go to Glastonbury some time in the next few years while I'm still young and don't have more responsibilities with my life.

Definitely. It's a pilgrimage.

sonofhal
06-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Those of you who are already in the London area on Sun 20th might want to head to the South bank and check this out.

http://www.last.fm/event/1564068+Meltdown+-+Bandstand+Busking

It's runs from 1pm - 7pm and it's free.

Also, Slow Club are ace.

Boourns
06-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Watching the documentary now.

Aaaaahhhh pulp! Aaaaaahhhh Bowie! What a way to finish.

paulo999
06-13-2010, 05:29 PM
The site is looking luurrrvely. The grass is mown, trucks are buzzing around, and there's a lovely atmosphere on site. Everyone on the build is full of smiles and cheery hellos - something very un British. Even though people are putting in long hours, everyone seems to be genuinely pleased to be there, working away.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1294/4697559719_a15c6b5a84.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4698188978_3e501f998c.jpg

Arcadia... newwww rig!! Even in it's basic frame form, it is looking amazine. The fact that they got the arms as scrap from our equivelent of the IRS is even better.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4698223808_86af847e2c.jpg

And of course, the man himself. On great form:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4058/4698206890_160fb17e8b.jpg

shakermaker113
06-13-2010, 06:39 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4698223808_86af847e2c_m.jpg

oh my. look at the size of that.

shakermaker113
06-13-2010, 09:15 PM
this has been bothering me all day. what songs will we see at raveoke? I cannot quite get my head around this concept.

Boourns
06-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Join the facebook group and make requests, I guess

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=117639634934922

emtgreg
06-14-2010, 06:35 AM
this has been bothering me all day. what songs will we see at raveoke? I cannot quite get my head around this concept.

1500 versions of "I got a feeling..."

hahaha

probably alot of tiesto and kaskade...

Boourns
06-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Steve Raveoki

shakermaker113
06-14-2010, 08:49 AM
OH GOD.

chiapet
06-14-2010, 09:03 AM
I found this the other night on a random forum:

First of all we had a stage, we got a few acts lined up, then Radio 1 turned up, asked the organisers if they could have a stage, the organisers said no, but if you want to put Champion Sound on the Radio then you can do that... Radio 1 said hmmmm, that sounds interesting, who are Champion Sound thinking of putting on, we showed them, they were like SHIT YEAH!!!! and here we are... Friday night in the Trash City / Shangri La area.. Champion Sound live on Radio 1, 11 til 6.. so far confirmed, Dizzee Rascal, Tinnie Tempah, Chase & Status, Top Cat, Rusko, Toddla T, Gappy Ranks, extra special hosts and a load of up for it ravers, all broadcasting worldwide.. It's big, so big we can't even fit it all in..

But also while we're there we need to tell you about this, this is gonna be where we're at for most of the festival... RAVEOKE.

It is what it says it is, Karaoke Rave.. Slap bang in the most exciting part of the festival holding it up for the original back to the old skool reach for the lasers vibe.. We thought of the idea and the organisers liked it, the plan is to get as many celebrity guests in as possible, along with all of our best up and coming DJ friends and basically have it really large in a not so large space, for the whole of the festival! We have a bar and a ton of rave related goodies to unleash so make sure you come up and see us at some point... There's more info here, http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/group.php?gid=117639634934922

If you've not been to Glastonbury then waste no time sorting yourself a way to get in, it's basically amazing...

please add yourself to that Raveoke group and make requests, its all type of rave music so old skool, jungle, drum & bass, happy hardcore, electro, anything!!

Boourns
06-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Interesting.

chiapet
06-14-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm leaving for the airport in 96 hours! I'm maybe about 1/3 packed, and getting aggravated with myself for the amount of stuff I am bringing, though I suppose for a 3 week trip, a carry on sized suitcase and a pack are not really *that* much.

Chris, did we decide upon a certain time/place to meet up on Monday? The pancake place?

Frank & Greg, are we going to try to get any more people into the B&B space? If not, I can contact the owner to see if she would reduce the price any for 3 instead of 5, but I suspect the price will not come down due to the demand.

sonofhal
06-14-2010, 12:40 PM
I can be at the pancake place for any time, but I would suggest around 3pm as the lunchtime crowd will be gone and it'll be a bit more chilled.

I will bring yours and Franks tents along with me.

Frank - did you still want that spare sleeping bag? If so, I'll bring that along too.

Boourns
06-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Yes, please.

3pm is good for pancaketasticness. I will have arrived back in London by then.

As for the BnB...I worry that if we contact them now, they'll get mad and give the reservation to someone else.

chiapet
06-14-2010, 01:04 PM
I already paid a 50GBP deposit on the reservation, so they won't give it away. I figure worst case there will be no reduction in rates. Best case she may have a waiting list and offer to put all 3 of us in a room. Do we want that?

If it's just the 3 of us, I've already put 50GBP in, which is fine, would you guys be able to figure out a split of the remaining 75GBP?

sonofhal
06-15-2010, 04:18 AM
http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Glastonbury/forecasts/latest

I love that it is totally dry until we get there on Wed.

Also, I'm sure the forecast will change on a daily basis between now and then.

shakermaker113
06-15-2010, 07:43 AM
oh great.

sbessiso
06-15-2010, 08:06 AM
im sitting here trying to compile a comprehensive list of what to pack and its giving me heart burn. I know im supposed to bring only a small amount of clothes but im gunna be gone for 3 weeks!

shakermaker113
06-15-2010, 08:24 AM
im sitting here trying to compile a comprehensive list of what to pack and its giving me heart burn. I know im supposed to bring only a small amount of clothes but im gunna be gone for 3 weeks!

plan to do laundry at least once while you are there.

chiapet
06-15-2010, 10:09 AM
I love that it is totally dry until we get there on Wed.

Also, I'm sure the forecast will change on a daily basis between now and then.

I noticed that and am using it as rationale to procrastinate on packing clothing.

We'll find a laundromat either before we leave London or after we get to Roskilde. I'll need to do laundry too. And my packing has already gotten out of control and I haven't even packed any clothing yet.

Bongo-anders
06-15-2010, 12:28 PM
There are several places at Roskilde Festival were you can find a laundromat but lets take that one in the RF thread.

rideincircles
06-15-2010, 03:00 PM
I just realized the high temperature may not break 70 degrees at the festival. This changes my idea of what to pack. I'm too used to hot festival weather. More fllece and long sleeves are getting packed.

Also, I copied and pasted the lineup for the 34 smaller stages into a word document and it's 51 pages long. Why even bother.

chiapet
06-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Yea I've not packed because I can't figure out what to pack. I guess I'm planning on wearing pants and tshirts and bringing hoodies. On the upside (so far) the night time temperatures don't look too bad.

sonofhal
06-16-2010, 04:38 AM
Rain has magically vanished on todays forecast.

Ed of The Chemical Brothers is going to Glasto as a punter, so I don't see them being a late add.

ShyGuy75
06-16-2010, 01:15 PM
this is the time.... the very best time....so give me a line and take me hoooome...take me oveeeer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i guess i should probably start getting ready for this

sonofhal
06-16-2010, 01:57 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jun/16/glastonbury-2010-met-office

Spent the day washing my sleeping bags. They had been in my garage for 2 years and were quite musty.

sbessiso
06-16-2010, 01:59 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jun/16/glastonbury-2010-met-office

Spent the day washing my sleeping bags. They had been in my garage for 2 years and were quite musty.

i will not get my hopes up!!!

also, i think I might end up doing the same thing you guys are and leave a suitcase in a locker in london. I need to have somewhat nicer clothes for going out at night once im done with these fests

chiapet
06-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Sure, now that I've finally started packing clothes and have planned only for cooler rainy weather :P

Salah, precisely, I'm also only taking things to Glasto & Roskilde that I don't mind becoming completely wrecked and possibly throwing away after. Paddington Station (near where we're staying) has left luggage lockers. This is the URL Chris posted:

http://www.left-baggage.co.uk/locations.php

It's pricey but worth it for me in order to not have to take my suitcase all the way to Glasto.

Boourns
06-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Packing and doing some laundry...almost time. I leave for New York at midnight, and I arrive there tomorrow morning (7 hour bus ride), then fly to London later in the evening.

Just printed out the fine guide and directions on where to pick up my wristbands.

shakermaker113
06-16-2010, 04:15 PM
two days until I depart and not only have I not packed, I'm sick too. this does not look good.

sbessiso
06-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Take the necessary precautions, Ed. You can nip this in the bud!

Also, hostel has finally been booked!

http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Generator-Hostel-London/London/510?source=googleadwordshostelsbyname&gclid=CJqGyavppaICFQLCsgodcg7ZRA

am now tackling the MASSIVE task of doing my laundry which wont be finished until tomorrow. then pack! the extra suitcase is a last alternative for me, i would really like to be able to condense to just one bag. Its the 50lb limit that has me sweating

chiapet
06-16-2010, 06:41 PM
I am sick too but I've been trying to sleep a ton this week.

Almost packed though. Need to pack clothes but everything else is done. And I'm taking the night off to drink tea, eat soup, and watch my Netflix movies. :)

emtgreg
06-16-2010, 07:21 PM
I am packed.

This thread is a novel, an adventure movie really.

And we haven't even hit the best part :)

I see you all soon, I'll be checking into the board once I am in Dublin.

I love you all, see you soon!

Paulo999, I look forward to having a cider, and shaking your hand. Your help has been brilliant, and is appreciated by this newbie world traveller more than you know.

I look forward to what will be the most insane thing I have ever done.

I am nervous, scared, worried, frightened, excited, amazed and most of all, fucking thrillied to go on this adventure.

I'll travel farther than I ever have, and see shit that I will remember forever.

I just hope if the airplane explodes, it's on the way back.

Peace be with you friends.

MissingPerson, see you Friday night :)

MissingPerson
06-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Hell yeah. Pm'd you my number, gimme a shout when you're fixing to meet up. Happy travels in the meantime.

chiapet
06-16-2010, 07:47 PM
I am surprisingly not nervous at all! At this point I'm alternating between being excited and completely forgetting that this is so close.

In one week we will be, well, not sleeping, on the Worthy Farm. :)

emtgreg
06-16-2010, 07:55 PM
:D

Also, since I am taking the 7am bus out of Glasto, and my train leaves at 11am...

I am going to explore Bristol for a minute, take pics, and go to:

Baristas Coffee Collective on 29 Victoria Street!!

Possibly lock up my stuff and be stuff-less for a small part of my trip, and go and enjoy a GOOD cup of coffee and a pastry before a long trip home :)

Just an idea, you know, its in my head.

chiapet
06-16-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm hopefully also having a couple hour gap in Bristol to look around... though an acquaintance who lives there keeps telling me there is absolutely nothing to see.

Mr. Porter
06-17-2010, 03:14 AM
Set times for the attendees (http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/lineuptimes/)

unknown
06-17-2010, 03:24 AM
Ahhhhh! Have fun and be safe, everyone. I'm so excited for you guys and can't wait to hear reviews and see a ton of pictures!

Boourns
06-17-2010, 06:16 AM
Mos Def with Gorillaz is a given now that he's switched timeslots with Femi Kuti.

Boourns
06-17-2010, 06:28 AM
Friday:
Miike Snow 13:05-13:45
Willie Nelson 15:15-16:30
Phoenix 16:30-17:20
Snoop Dogg 17:00-18:00
Florence + the Machine 19:20-20:10
Special Guests 20:30-21:15 (or leave if it's nobody good)
Gorillaz 22:00-23:45

Saturday:
Imogen Heap 14:40-15:30
Dead Weather 17:00-18:00
New Islands 17:35-18:00
Special Guests 18:40-19:30
Muse 22:15-23:45

Sunday:
Grizzly Bear 16:00-17:00
Beak> 17:10-18:00 (probably have to duck out of Grizzly early, sadly, but it's not like Beak> will ever tour here, so...)
MGMT 19:00-20:00
LCD Soundsystem 20:30-21:30
Stevie Wonder 21:45-23:15
Arcadia fire show 00:00

Maybe Birdy Nam Nam at one of the late night sets.

Hmm, need something between special guests and Muse. Already seen Foals and the XX, have no need to see either again. Refuse to watch Editors Want Interpol, maybe Scissor Sisters to get a spot for Muse but don't really want to do that, either.

shakermaker113
06-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Dead Weather 17:00-18:00
New Islands 17:35-18:00

how do you plan to do that??

ShyGuy75
06-17-2010, 07:42 AM
i hope to see at at least 4 of these

People's String Foundation 21:15 22:15 Small World Stage Wednesday
Local Natives 21:00 21:45 Queens Head Thursday
Curved Air 22:30 23:30 Croissant Neuf Thursday
Joy Orbison 23:30 0:30 Wow! Thursday
Seventies Funk 14:30 16:00 Experimental Soundfield Dance Friday
The Bees 22:00 22:45 Queens Head Friday
Hypnotic Brass Ensemble 1:30 2:30 Club Dada Saturday
Seventies Funk 14:30 16:00 Experimental Soundfield Dance Saturday
Marsupilami 18:00 19:00 The Rabbit Hole Saturday
Quintessence 20:00 22:00 The Rabbit Hole Saturday
Phenomenal Handclap Band 21:00 21:45 Queens Head Saturday
Kissy Sell Out 23:00 0:30 Cube Henge Saturday
Arcada Fire Show 0:00 0:30 Arcadia Sunday
Wonkavision 0:30 2:00 Arcadia Sunday
Special Guest 1:00 2:00 London Underground / Block9 Sunday
Special Guest 2:45 4:10 NYC Downlow / Block9 Sunday
The Egg 4:00 6:00 The Rabbit Hole Sunday
Suprise Guest 4:40 5:10 Club Dada Sunday
Michael Eavis 16:00 17:15 Speakers Forum Sunday
The Middle East 21:00 21:45 Queens Head Sunday
Secret Special Guest 23:00 0:30 The Rabbit Hole Sunday
Four Tet (Live) 23:00 0:00 Wow! Sunday
Very Special Guests 0:00 2:00 Stonebridge Bar/The Park Monday
Peoples String Foundation 2:15 3:30 Small World Stage Monday

Boourns
06-17-2010, 08:05 AM
how do you plan to do that??

Leave early.

unknown
06-17-2010, 08:12 AM
i hope to see at at least 4 of these

bwahahahaha

canexplain
06-17-2010, 08:34 AM
I hope you guys have some of the best times of your life at the festy and over the pond. think of us while you are playing ...... peace and safe trip (s)

Boourns
06-17-2010, 08:54 AM
The International Ticket Collection Cabin will be open from 10am to 8pm,
Wednesday 23rd - Sunday 27th June.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Gribbz
06-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Good journey friends.

liquidsnake28
06-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Don't expect much out of Stevie Wonder. Just saying. His set at roo was very underwhelming.

sbessiso
06-17-2010, 11:49 AM
havent looked at the set times yet but all i know after a conversation with jsam is that our friday will go a little something like

phoenix->big pink->hot chip->GORILLAZ->fatboy

sonofhal
06-17-2010, 11:52 AM
^I will probably watch none of that^

shakermaker113
06-17-2010, 12:01 PM
my friday will go Rolf Harris --> wherever the hell the day takes me --> Gorillaz --> desperate attempt to catch the end of the Orb.

my other days are similar. 2, maybe 3 definite acts, and a whole lot of wandering & discovering.

amyzzz
06-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Mos Def with Gorillaz is a given now that he's switched timeslots with Femi Kuti.
NICE!

chiapet
06-17-2010, 01:52 PM
I saw Stevie like 2 years ago and thought he was pretty good.

For those of you traveling Virgin Atlantic, their website mentioned an extra baggage allowance for "Sports equipment" which they go into in some detail. As they mentioned things like rain boots for fishing trips, I decided to call and find out if they'd let me bring an extra free bag for camping or backpacking gear -- and the answer is YES. I called twice just to make sure I didn't get a lazy answer the first time.

It has to be under 23kg, is bound by the normal size requirements on their site, and they may ask to take a peek at the check-in counter to make sure you're not trying to bring a bag full of clothes for free. If you check in online do not list it, just take it to the baggage drop.

I am totally doing this with my sleeping bag and rain gear. :thu

amyzzz
06-17-2010, 01:57 PM
That is such an awesome find, Heidi! Do any other airlines do this I wonder? That could help for various destination festivals.

chiapet
06-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Not that I've found - most of the others let you bring sports equipment but it's part of your normal baggage allocation. That's a big plus for Virgin -- to check another bag round trip would be like $200 for me.

sonofhal
06-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Virgin tend to be pretty laid back. Flew B.A. to Coachella for the first time this year to save 20. Never again!

sbessiso
06-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Chris, remind me the name of the place you guys are meeting for lunch on tuesday. i would like to join

chiapet
06-17-2010, 04:45 PM
It's on Monday - here - http://www.myolddutch.com/restaurants3.asp

Tuesday, you better be in route to Glasto :)

sbessiso
06-17-2010, 04:49 PM
oops! yeah thats what I meant. Awesome, this is only like a mile away from my hostel.

Oh yeah! I got some dollars converted into pounds today! DAMN this dollar is weak

chiapet
06-17-2010, 05:55 PM
... really? The pound and euro are extremely weak right now compared to their past positions. I guess it's gone up a tiny bit this week but still 1.48:1 GBP:USD is pretty damned good. It was 1.95:1 the last time I was in the UK.

But yes it is a shock, and you have to be careful when you're using ATMs or buying stuff because it's easy to slip into thinking of price tags as dollars. If you're horrified with the exchange rate now, you're going to be pissed at prices in a few days. :) Everything costs so much, especially in London. As Boourns has complained many times you could spend like $7-10 just trying to get a simple breakfast.

sonofhal
06-18-2010, 02:57 AM
oops! yeah thats what I meant. Awesome, this is only like a mile away from my hostel.

Yep 3pm.

Also, Map.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/interactive/2010/jun/18/glastonbury-2010-free-site-map

shakermaker113
06-18-2010, 06:45 AM
and I'm off! see you all in england.

chiapet
06-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Safe travels! I'm leaving in 3 hours :)

unit300021
06-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Have a fun and safe trip everyone! Hopefully next year I will be able to join everyone on that side of the pond!

Boourns
06-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Made it. Barely. Never ever fly iceland express. Left Newark 2.5 hours late. And unlike every other flight ever they only give you your first ticket at check-in and not the one for the connection. So once we finally made it to Iceland we had to go through security again and then wait in line for another almost 2 hours for the boarding passes to London, etc. Weird.

In oxford now. Raining...feels good.

Okay haven't slept since Wednesday morning.

Boourns
06-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Here's a tip: airport in London gave a better exchange rate for currency. They offered almost 20 pounds more at Gatwick than in Newark.

Boourns
06-18-2010, 04:53 PM
I am a bit concerned over the ticket situation. Gates open at 8am, but will call doesn't open until 10am...that can't be good if we're planning on arriving at 8...

Press check-in opens at 9am, oddly enough.

emtgreg
06-19-2010, 01:10 AM
I'm still adjusting to 1 and 2 euro coins, I thought I had lost a bill, but no, I just had an entire pocket full of change...

Also, I love how in the US I am presumed to be Irish due to my stature and redbeard...

Instantly spotted as an American everyhere I've gone so far...I need to read up on soccer a bit, due to world cup it is what everyone wants to talk about! 2 people started chatting with me about it last night, I'm like "guuhhhhhggarrblewarble".

Luckily I was obviously 4 Beers in so they merely presumed me to be drunk, lol.

paulo999
06-19-2010, 01:34 AM
An American in Europe, on their fourth pint? They were probably wondering when to call an ambulance ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Cool to hear the updates as everyone arrives. Knowing how big a trip this is for you all, and that a few of you are seeing it for the first time, is a whole extra layer of festival excitement.

I'm going to climb the hill above the Park on Wednesday afternoon. If anyone fancies joining me, meet at the Park Bar at 6. The view from the top is breathtaking.

sbessiso
06-19-2010, 01:37 AM
i leave in less than 12 hours!! Paulo i will see you wednesday!

and i wont talk shit about the world cup but im not going to dive right into it either. on the other hand, i do love futbol players and their legs

paulo999
06-19-2010, 01:59 AM
i leave in less than 12 hours!! Paulo i will see you wednesday!

Cool. I'll have a black backpack with a tripod strapped to it.

Glad you reminded me about the football. Might be nearer 6.30 at the Park Bar, to allow for the walk from Pyramid.

and i wont talk shit about the world cup but im not going to dive right into it either. on the other hand, i do love futbol players and their legs

Heh heh, why does that not surprise me. :)

suprefan
06-19-2010, 02:58 AM
I'm still adjusting to 1 and 2 euro coins, I thought I had lost a bill, but no, I just had an entire pocket full of change...

Also, I love how in the US I am presumed to be Irish due to my stature and redbeard...

Instantly spotted as an American everyhere I've gone so far...I need to read up on soccer a bit, due to world cup it is what everyone wants to talk about! 2 people started chatting with me about it last night, I'm like "guuhhhhhggarrblewarble".

Those pocketfuls of coins will come in handy. Youll magically find another 10 euro in coins later in your trip, it pays off.

Here's a tip: airport in London gave a better exchange rate for currency. They offered almost 20 pounds more at Gatwick than in Newark.

Airports rip you off the most actually, thats the weird thing. I am sure if you went to a bank, you couldve gotten even more.

emtgreg
06-19-2010, 02:59 AM
An American in Europe, on their fourth pint? They were probably wondering when to call an ambulance ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Hahaha, there are advantages to being 6 feet tall and 220lbs.

Also, advantages to normally drinking hard liquor, and transitioning to Beer when in Europe :)

I'm not even hung over!

Now, to explore and look like a tourist! (while hopefully not getting pickpocketed or mugged!)

See you soon sir!

suprefan
06-19-2010, 03:05 AM
Wallet in your front pocket, not back pocket... Also, headphones on pretty much tells the world you are ignoring them...

sbessiso
06-19-2010, 03:09 AM
wear tight pants so youll definitely notice if someones hand is trying to get all up in there

suprefan
06-19-2010, 03:25 AM
You just want Greg to wear tight pants so you can attempt to pick pocket him.

sbessiso
06-19-2010, 03:38 AM
oh boy, he doesnt need to have tight pants for me to make any attempts.

Hahaha, there are advantages to being 6 feet tall and 220lbs.

plus a beard! watch your ass greg!

emtgreg
06-19-2010, 06:54 AM
Yeah, and I guess it is Pride Weekend in Dublin!

Yes Salah, you are missing a Pride Weekend in Ireland, oopsie!

Although, I guess MP is bringing me to a few Gay bars tonight, too bad for the boys I won't be taking anyone home!

Although, I'm not gonne lie, there are way more hot women here than I thought there was going to be!

Then again, I like freckly redheads, I really do ::cat

sbessiso
06-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Yes Salah, you are missing a Pride Weekend in Ireland, oopsie!

Noooooooooooooooo

why oh why didnt i stick to my original plan

emtgreg
06-19-2010, 07:14 AM
(tis pride weekend damn near everywhere friend)

sbessiso
06-19-2010, 07:16 AM
yeah i looked at the site and im not missing any huge events, the good stuff is during glastonbury.

london will have all the pride i need

Boourns
06-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Airports rip you off the most actually, thats the weird thing. I am sure if you went to a bank, you couldve gotten even more.

Yes, significantly more. Desperately needed money, at that. But when you don't even make it to London until after 5pm on a Friday... Thank you, Iceland Express!

Boourns
06-19-2010, 10:01 AM

Just tell everyone at Glasto that 0-0 (or ties in general) is not a cromulent result, they love that.

JustSteve
06-19-2010, 10:07 AM

Whenever I am over there I just hit an ATM right at the airport. Never worth paying the fees while still in the states. Atm's always seem to be the way to go, just make sure to take out enough to make it worth the fees associated, never just pull out a 20.

MissingPerson
06-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Was late for work this morning because I had to stop for Alka Seltzer.

shotglass75
06-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Have fun fuckers!!!!

MissingPerson
06-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Mariah Carey Christmas everyone!

chiapet
06-20-2010, 01:39 AM
Yea I don't bother changing money, only take enough dollars for my US airport transfers then hit the ATM before leaving the airport. I grabbed 200 quid which hit my bank as $295 which seems just right with the exchange rate + bank charges

Greg, regarding that pocketful of change, try to pay for small things from change, you usually can't exchange coins (though there is a machine at the airport to get bills from change).

chiapet
06-20-2010, 01:52 AM
I had no arrival troubles at all. VA flight was very nice. I'm staying in paddington so I was in my hotel shower within 30 minutes of leaving the airport. Ahhhh. I've been here less than 24 hours and have already had 5L of cider. :)

for the first time, I managed to adjust schedules immediately though it meant staying up for about 36 hours... Went to bed at 3 last night, woke up at 9am. For a minute I'd thought I'd slept through the whole day until I realized my phone finally had joined me in BST.

sonofhal
06-20-2010, 02:01 AM
Head down to Bandstand Busking later at the Royal Festival Hall if you don't have any plans (1-7).

Hoping to get down there for the last couple of hours.

sbessiso
06-20-2010, 05:41 AM
Head down to Bandstand Busking later at the Royal Festival Hall if you don't have any plans (1-7).

Hoping to get down there for the last couple of hours.

I think i might head down there after i finish camp shopping!

shotglass75
06-20-2010, 06:59 AM
PUT THE INTERNET AWAY AND EXPLORE THE DAMN WORLD ALREADY!!!!!!!!!

chiapet
06-20-2010, 10:26 AM
I guess I better do camp shopping tomorrow. I've been dress shopping all day. :p

suprefan
06-20-2010, 11:02 AM
PUT THE INTERNET AWAY AND EXPLORE THE DAMN WORLD ALREADY!!!!!!!!!

you know, some people have these cool phones that let you use the internet.

YOU CAN BE SEEING THE WORLD AND BE POSTING AT THE SAME TIME!!!

shotglass75
06-20-2010, 01:05 PM
PUT DOWN THE TECHNOLOGY AND EXPLORE THE DAMN WORLD ALREADY!!!!!!

BROKENDOLL
06-20-2010, 03:42 PM
I am packed.

This thread is a novel, an adventure movie really.

And we haven't even hit the best part :)

I see you all soon, I'll be checking into the board once I am in Dublin.

I love you all, see you soon!

Paulo999, I look forward to having a cider, and shaking your hand. Your help has been brilliant, and is appreciated by this newbie world traveller more than you know.

I look forward to what will be the most insane thing I have ever done.

I am nervous, scared, worried, frightened, excited, amazed and most of all, fucking thrillied to go on this adventure.

I'll travel farther than I ever have, and see shit that I will remember forever.

I just hope if the airplane explodes, it's on the way back.

Peace be with you friends.

MissingPerson, see you Friday night :)
Greg, your post here just brought tears to my eyes! May all of you have the time of your lives! Safe travels!

suprefan
06-20-2010, 03:58 PM
PUT DOWN THE TECHNOLOGY AND EXPLORE THE DAMN WORLD ALREADY!!!!!!

Go over there and show em how its done......

And if I listened to you, I wouldnt have any pictures from my own trip btw, since a camera is ''technology''

emtgreg
06-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Also, its not like there isn't readily accessible internet, while over here in the "europe".

Fairly easy to live life and also participate in life.

Now, if I was at Glasto, and was passing on experiences, ie missing La Roux or Florence or the Gorrilaz so that I can post on the board, it might be different...

When the festival proper starts, it will be a different story..

But uhh, I am in a nice hotel, I can internet while lying in a king sized bed...and I am sure Salah is at a hostel, that has, omg, free wifi!

BROKENDOLL
06-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Also, its not like there isn't readily accessible internet, while over here in the "europe".

Fairly easy to live life and also participate in life.

Now, if I was at Glasto, and was passing on experiences, ie missing La Roux or Florence or the Gorrilaz so that I can post on the board, it might be different...

When the festival proper starts, it will be a different story..

But uhh, I am in a nice hotel, I can internet while lying in a king sized bed...and I am sure Salah is at a hostel, that has, omg, free wifi!

And I'm sitting here in Coachella where it's 105*, turning green with envy, dammit!

shotglass75
06-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Go over there and show em how its done......

And if I listened to you, I wouldnt have any pictures from my own trip btw, since a camera is ''technology''

man, you are such a douche

chiapet
06-20-2010, 07:45 PM
There is not really *that* much to do at 3am on Sunday night, even in London. Thus, interwebz

Boourns
06-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Staying out all night was probably a bad idea since I won't be getting much sleep this week but oh well!

lol "oranges"

Boourns
06-20-2010, 08:03 PM
There is not really *that* much to do at 3am on Sunday night, even in London. Thus, interwebz

Brighton, too. I guess bars everywhere close at 2?

Need to catch a train to london in 9 hours but I can't sleep.

chiapet
06-20-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm not really attempting to keep a normal schedule. Figure staying up all night and then sleeping til 2 will suit me at glasto. So far, the high temps aren't forecast above 70. I can sleep all day in that :)

rideincircles
06-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Trip anxiety finally kicked in but at least its the night before. Pretty much everything is packed and we are shipping out tomorrow at 1225pm to London eta 8am London Tuesday morning. Every item has been scrutinized and the luggage still weighs a ton. Normally I would say I can't wait, but sleep sounds like a good idea right now. That is if I can fall asleep.

Holy Fuck! Glastonbury!

rideincircles
06-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Update, my 3 bags weigh 75 lbs. And I never was able to fall asleep. About to board plane, and routing thru Detroit. Must sleep somehow soon.

faxman75
06-21-2010, 04:36 PM
75 pounds of what?

Joel departed this morning. He is flying into Bristol after connecting over and over again. He was able to fit his tent in his carry on.

Gribbz
06-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Nice. I didn't know Joel was going.

faxman75
06-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Yea, I think he's part of the whole official glasto twitter group or something. A bunch of britts are going to show him how to party. I think they are going straight from the aiport to the farm and they are sleeping in their car until gates open so they will be there super early.

JustSteve
06-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Every item has been scrutinized and the luggage still weighs a ton.

i know the feeling! i went backpacking for 3 months throughout europe. we got there and were over all the shit we brought, so shipped half of it home. pretty much made it with 4-5 t-shirts, 2 pairs of shorts, swim trunks, pair of shoes and sandals, and a pair of jeans for all 90 days. laundromat was always easy to find, fortunately.

Boourns
06-21-2010, 10:35 PM
In my suitcase I brought maybe seven shirts, enough underwear and socks to make it through a week without laundry, an airbed, toiletries, towel, one pair of jeans...50 pounds. It somehow feels a lot heavier now than before...no idea why.

Woke up way too early this morning but that's okay since we're catching the 7am bus to Glasto tomorrow.

rage patton
06-22-2010, 01:09 AM
Have fun everyone!

Boourns
06-22-2010, 01:14 AM
Chilling at the hostel waiting for a bit before hauling all this shit to Paddington.

Salah, the hostel isn't as bad as the reviews indicated. Those pods in the room are really small but I liked the privacy they gave.

For some reason, Michael McDonald is on TV right now. I guess yacht rock lives on here, as well. A girl is booing the TV and giving it the thumbs down. Wonder if he can see her.

Forecast looks very nice for this weekend.

sbessiso
06-22-2010, 04:20 AM
i know the feeling! i went backpacking for 3 months throughout europe. we got there and were over all the shit we brought, so shipped half of it home. pretty much made it with 4-5 t-shirts, 2 pairs of shorts, swim trunks, pair of shoes and sandals, and a pair of jeans for all 90 days. laundromat was always easy to find, fortunately.

UGHHHH!!

i should have done this. i wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy overpacked and its sort of killing me

Boourns
06-22-2010, 10:30 AM
At the bed & breakfast now. Once Greg gets here, go foraging and then sleep because we have to be out of here by 6:45am.

chiapet
06-22-2010, 10:44 AM
I KNOW how to pack light but i can't seem to do it when I'm camping. I am already hating my backpack and wondering what I can ditch. :)

it is going to take me hours to get in and out of the fest as i need a break every few blocks

faxman75
06-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Joel has arrived at the Farm. He just texted me and already has cider in hand.

MissingPerson
06-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Have a good time, y'all.

Take care of yourselves. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand each other.

rideincircles
06-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Our Coach leaves from Heathrow terminal in 9 hours, about to crash out and probably leaving our hotel at 8. Im pretty sure I have too many clothes, but thats not the main weight issue. I have almost 15 pounds of technology with my netbook, 2 cameras batteries and chargers and the camera cases. Everything adds up, and I have most of the gear for two people. After Glasto, I am ditching a ton when travelling Europe, were still here until July 10th. That is all for now, I have my phone, but no internet access at Glasto to my knowledge. If you see a Texas shirt, it might be me. Peace out.

sin213
06-24-2010, 10:59 AM
is there a web cast or radio broadcast of any glasto sets?

faxman75
06-24-2010, 11:01 AM
BBC does a radio broadcast. I think it's BBC2. I don't know of any webcasts. i was looking last night and came up empty.

citizenerased
06-24-2010, 11:07 AM
God I wish I could see this upcoming spectacular Muse performance.

faxman75
06-24-2010, 11:55 AM
I can't even get a radio broadcast of anything at this point. Fail.

sin213
06-24-2010, 12:35 PM
yeah, i cant find anything either. the one thing that i did find that looked promising isn't available to anyone outside of the UK. :(

faxman75
06-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Yep, I saw that too.

I just got a text from Joel. The fest hasn't even started yet but he's having the time of his life with his Glasto Twitter friends. He is already making plans to go back next year lol. He's in love with the entire pre-festivities. I know he watched the England soccer match at the Pyramid stage yesterday as well and said it was insane how many people were there already and watching. He's in complete awe of the farm and insists people need to come there at least once. Simply incredible. the part that gets me is he hasn't even seen a single band yet!

venturas90sgirl
06-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Man that's settled then: England/Denmark 2011 for me!!! Dare I suggest the CAA go international?

So bummed I'm not there this year but work is work.

sin213
06-25-2010, 10:57 AM
you have to be there that early, though, right? otherwise you have a mile to walk from your campsite to the fest...

that's awesome that he's having a great time. still dunno that i'd want to do glasto though...

i'd definitely be down for CAA @ Roskilde 2011 though!

faxman75
06-25-2010, 11:13 AM
He sent me texts from around 2:30 am London time telling me he was dancing in some dj area and bragging about outlasting all of this new Britt friends. He said it was about a 6 hour car wait to get into the fest which I thought was reasonable for over a fest of over 200K people. They were in the car line early though. I think they got there on Tuesday night because they were definitely settled in long before the England World Cup game.

He didn't say how far away they were camped but he said it's not that long of a walk to places. He claimed he had been able to get to most places in 30 minutes. He also said he was able to find his tent fairly easily. I'm glad he's having such a great time. He wishes it would rain though, he said he has sunburn.

shotglass75
06-25-2010, 11:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/GlastonburyOfficial

IOAoIbBgYK0&

yeahfontaine
06-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Oh my God that marriage proposal about 2 minutes in is absolutely darling. Made tears come to my eyes...

softbulletin
06-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Fuck

http://yfrog.com/5jtq6uj

shotglass75
06-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Fuck

faxman75
06-25-2010, 01:33 PM
It even looks like Jesus is wearing his crown of thorns!

Joel just texted and he's been bouncing stage to stage. So far he's seen Mumford & Sons and is waiting for the Black Keys to begin right now.

TickleMeElmo
06-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Pleeeeaaaassseeee tell me somebody from the board caught the secret Thom Yorke set and hopefully will catch The Chemical Brothers one too. God I'm fucking kicking myself for not going this year!

shotglass75
06-25-2010, 01:58 PM
MurdocGorillaz

Yep, Mr Lou Reed will be on stage with Gorillaz!!! Him AND Snoop Dogg!! Don’t say I never give you anything.

Semprini
06-25-2010, 02:23 PM
The guy who did the marriage proposal is off efestivals and there's a whole thread on the Glasto chat forum where he was organising it all. Glad to see it worked and paid off!!

I've been watching a fair bit of the coverage tonight and it looks amazing as usual. Saw a bit of Hot Chip, Vampire Weekend and Florence earlier (who all looked good) and Gorillaz are on live now, in HD too which is nice! I'm just finishing off some work and will then settle in with some beers to watch the rest of the action.

shotglass75
06-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Anyway to watch this stuff in the states?

shotglass75
06-25-2010, 03:00 PM
England's massive Glastonbury Festival is celebrating its 40th anniversary this weekend at Worthy Farm in Somerset. There's still two more days left to the fest, but a particularly huge occurrence has already taken place: a surprise set today from Radiohead's Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood.

According to At Ease, the pair were introduced by festival organizer Michael Eavis. Yorke, introducing himself as "Thomas Yorke", then stepped out on stage performed a few solo tunes. Greenwood later joined him. Check out the setlist below:

Setlist:

The Eraser
Harrowdown Hill
Black Swan
Cymbal Rush
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
Pyramid Song
Idioteque
Karma Police
Street Spirit (Fade Out)

http://pitchfork.com/news/39283-thom-yorke-and-jonny-greenwood-play-surprise-glastonbury-set/

heart cooks brain
06-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Fuck that woulda been awesome

Semprini
06-25-2010, 03:11 PM
I'm watching a stream on the BBC Glastonbury website at the minute but I think that might not be available in the States??

Just to annoy you all a bit more, got a choice of a full Groove Armada set on BBC4, 3 hours of a bit everything just starting on BBC HD and a choice of Hot Chip, Florence or Phoenix on interactive. Got Mumford and Sons, Willie Nelson and La Roux coming up in the next hour as well as more Gorillaz and Flaming Lips!! No mention of Thom Yorke coming on but it's no surprise really as they never show anything from the Park.

shotglass75
06-25-2010, 03:12 PM
I figured as much. I'll get the torrent rips in a few days ;)

MissingPerson
06-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Presumably if you could rummage out some manner of UK proxy, you could probably watch the streams, right?

shotglass75
06-25-2010, 03:21 PM
huh?

faxman75
06-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Just got a text "ok enough of Wayne's talking, going to check out Gorillaz".

Why does Wayne insist upon ruining the Lips sets these days? Shut the fuck up and play that catalog of great music god damn it!

heart cooks brain
06-25-2010, 04:36 PM
He couldn't even shut up and play DSOTM at Bonnaroo. Dude has serious issues

crazzz2007
06-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Just got a text "ok enough of Wayne's talking, going to check out Gorillaz".

Why does Wayne insist upon ruining the Lips sets these days? Shut the fuck up and play that catalog of great music god damn it!

What do you mean "these days"?

He's always been like that. Or have you forgotten Coachella 04?

SDsoldier7
06-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Simply incredible. the part that gets me is he hasn't even seen a single band yet!

my kind of festival!

Pat24
06-25-2010, 05:16 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mFmWg4BkZsg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mFmWg4BkZsg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Damn the BBC for not letting outside UKers view video highlights on their site! There's sooo much good coverage of the fest on their site!

yeahfontaine
06-25-2010, 05:27 PM
What do you mean "these days"?

He's always been like that. Or have you forgotten Coachella 04?

Seriously? I've been seeing them since '99 and the first time I ever saw him pull that "come on! get into it!" shit was at Pemberton '08. Thought it was because Canadians don't know the Lips that well and weren't singing along at all and the crowd was TINY. Thought it was just a last-couple-of-years thing, but maybe not.

But he absolutely needs to knock that shit off.

crazzz2007
06-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Seriously? I've been seeing them since '99 and the first time I ever saw him pull that "come on! get into it!" shit was at Pemberton '08. Thought it was because Canadians don't know the Lips that well and weren't singing along at all and the crowd was TINY. Thought it was just a last-couple-of-years thing, but maybe not.

But he absolutely needs to knock that shit off.

He played 4 songs at Coachella. One of the songs was "Happy Birthday To You" to Beck.

HandBanana
06-25-2010, 09:03 PM
And look who isnt up to headlining Glasto either....

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=149796

Gribbz
06-25-2010, 09:05 PM
How overwhelmingly definitive.

EDIT: You're joking, right?

HandBanana
06-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Yeah kinda. Just starting shit :P

heart cooks brain
06-25-2010, 09:24 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jkWpLkZ2NWQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jkWpLkZ2NWQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

FoxeyLady
06-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Is it me or did Bobby Womack fuck up again? On the second verse this time.

heart cooks brain
06-25-2010, 09:42 PM
It's Bobby Womack. He apparently sucks at life/live

FoxeyLady
06-25-2010, 09:43 PM
He's got a great voice but he keeps missing cues.

Can't wait to see the rest.

softbulletin
06-25-2010, 09:50 PM
From what I saw of the BBC archive they put up Gorillaz sounded fantastic. Just like Coachella.

Pat24
06-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Has anybody been listening to the radio coverage? The Flaming Lips are on right now. Ha.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/6music

suprefan
06-25-2010, 10:38 PM
I figured as much. I'll get the torrent rips in a few days ;)

Already downloading a Gorillaz torrent. Youre slow...

Boourns
06-26-2010, 05:36 AM
Ducked out of this coachellaesque heat to search for new rumors.

So yesterday the biggest ones were thom, Katy Perry, strokes. Figured I would be devastated if thom was really there and I missed him so I went. Florence and a good dinner were acceptable risked losses. Got there before big pink and just walked up to rail and dead center.

Best set I have eer seen here. Michael eavis introduced them, too.

Karma police is the singalong of the weekend. Heard it all night.

Crowd did not like gorillaz for the most part even with all those guests.

Had to go to emergency roomon plursday. Sinusitis and bronchitis for the lose. Yes they have doctors nurses emts and even dentists onsite.

sonofhal
06-26-2010, 05:44 AM
Pleeeeaaaassseeee tell me somebody from the board caught the secret Thom Yorke set and hopefully will catch The Chemical Brothers one too. God I'm fucking kicking myself for not going this year!

I caught Thom and Mr Greenwood, and Boourns was rail humping a good hour before they started.

Boourns
06-26-2010, 05:49 AM
An hour is nothing. Thom and radiohead usually = 12-24 hours

liquidsnake28
06-26-2010, 06:15 AM
I caught Thom and Mr Greenwood, and Boourns was rail humping a good hour before they started.

Nice. Who were they waiting for on the rail?

shotglass75
06-26-2010, 06:54 AM
Already downloading a Gorillaz torrent. Youre slow...

Because I went to bed early does not make me slow you fat fucking glob of wasted sperm that should have been blown up your mothers ass :) I'm slow for other reasons. Downloading now.

suprefan
06-26-2010, 07:26 AM
Im not the mid westerner here, youre the fat one.

liquidsnake28
06-26-2010, 07:49 AM
Supre, what you don't know about the midwest almost equates to what DO know about being a gay man.

Tell us more about the midwest. It's amusing.

TheScenestar
06-26-2010, 09:08 AM
View from one of the most popular stages at Glastonbury. The one showing the England World Cup game!

http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/worldcup_06_25/w32_24017253.jpg

shotglass75
06-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Im not the mid westerner here, youre the fat one.

Notice how he doesn't argue the "wasted glob of sperm who should have been blown up his mothers ass" part

Semprini
06-26-2010, 03:15 PM
So Muse are on live now and the crowd is massive, definitely bigger than Gorillaz last night. I've watched bits and pieces from Editors, The Cribs, Kate Nash, Scissor Sisters, Delphic, The xx and the National so far today but the only other choice on at the moment aside from Muse is the Pet Shop Boys who seem pretty bland.

I don't know if this is also just a UK thing but quite a lot of the sets from yesterday can be watched on the BBC website. Failing that, the Essential Mix from the Hub stage in Shangri La is on listen again and features sets from Annie Mac, Chase and Status, Skream (who filled in for Rusko) and Toddla T.

shotglass75
06-26-2010, 10:53 PM
Holy Fucking Hell. Chills.

Q77sS3wd1tc

GeezrRckr
06-26-2010, 11:32 PM
yup.

man, i wished they would let us yanks see the fucking vids. only a few have slipped onto YT. if anyone knows of any good proxies that enable java, serve it up please. i'd love to see some Broken Bells, Delphic, Florence (more than what's up there now), Foals, Grizzly Bear, Stevie, George/P-Funk, damn...the lineup is ginormous. that's just mean.

ivankay
06-27-2010, 12:11 AM
So great, but that clip's got some sync issues.

shotglass75
06-27-2010, 07:21 AM
Muse is up on DIME

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=310508

HD
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=310512

sin213
06-27-2010, 10:52 AM
The National up on Demoniod

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2293883/3597111/

Hot Chip as well...

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2293407/8393259/

apostle2
06-27-2010, 11:31 AM
anyone have a demonoid invite they want to send me?

Semprini
06-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Faithless on now and the crowd is HUGE!! It's always hard to compare daytime sets to night but I haven't seen anyone else who's played during the day with a bigger crowd, or anything near this to be fair. The field is full to the back but maybe some of that is the Stevie factor, although he's not on for well over an hour yet.

God knows what it must feel like to stand on stage in front of a crowd of that size......

Here comes Insomnia :eek:

DRcube
06-27-2010, 01:59 PM
IB9j_tVlTu4

wewantmuse
06-27-2010, 04:01 PM
that muse/edge collaboration is complete magic. i can't stand u2, but that video is absolutely incredible.

what also gave me chills were the videos of florence + the machine. apparently she drew one of the biggest crowds of the weekend (nme said approximately half of all festival goers which would be ~88,500). i hate that i had to miss her at coachella to see matt and kim, but then again.. matt and kim was my set of the weekend.

TYwGEItYpDA

i need to figure out a way to make it to glastonbury one of these years.

shakermaker113
06-28-2010, 05:23 AM
glastonbury ended today. having arrived 3 am wednesday and left 5 am monday we were there almost a week, which felt like a lifetime. there were highs and there were lows. the highs were everything that we had travelled for, and the lows really fucking sucked. this isn't so much a festival as an entire city that springs up for a few days. and incredibly well organized, beautiful city. though its population is heavily drunkard. it was one of the hottest glastonburies ever, without a single drop of rain the entire weekend. with the sun not setting until 10.30 there was little relief. even us coachella veterans were suffering. we were all exhausted and ailing by sunday, though that did not stop us dancing into the hours of the morning before leaving. so much to write about, so much we saw and so much we only heard stories about. so much good music, delicious food, and many rabbit holes to fall down. it was one hell of an adventure. it pushed us to our limits, and provided new perspective on a lot of things. we loved it, but in the end missed our festivals back home. farewell, glastonbury.

ivankay
06-28-2010, 05:27 AM
Return home safely and looking forward to all the tales and pictures to come.

shakermaker113
06-28-2010, 05:29 AM
PS motherfucking orbital.

ivankay
06-28-2010, 05:39 AM
awesome.

sonofhal
06-28-2010, 06:16 AM
PS motherfucking orbital.

As much as I love Orbital, anyone who was there missed the best set I have EVER witnessed.

Empire of the Sun.

I have a new favourite live act.

GeezrRckr
06-28-2010, 09:30 AM
glastonbury ended today. having arrived 3 am wednesday and left 5 am monday we were there almost a week, which felt like a lifetime. there were highs and there were lows. the highs were everything that we had travelled for, and the lows really fucking sucked.
can't wait to hear all about this over a beer soon, Edward. have always been curious about Glasto.

As much as I love Orbital, anyone who was there missed the best set I have EVER witnessed.

Empire of the Sun.

I have a new favourite live act.
wow, strong statement. there's been a lot of hype on this board about these guys. i gave their jams a listen and wasn't feeling it. could you tell us more about their set, please.

sonofhal
06-28-2010, 09:34 AM
wow, strong statement. there's been a lot of hype on this board about these guys. i gave their jams a listen and wasn't feeling it. could you tell us more about their set, please.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41399&page=2

sonofhal
06-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Some pics for you all.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs087.snc4/35720_443911876998_665226998_6391627_2380704_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs047.ash2/35720_443911881998_665226998_6391628_1560452_n.jpg
Snoop and a doll - for some reason.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs087.snc4/35720_443911896998_665226998_6391631_461569_n.jpg
Spooky eyes in the dance village.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs087.snc4/35720_443911901998_665226998_6391632_465712_n.jpg
Cube Henge

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs017.snc4/34228_443912311998_665226998_6391655_1419801_n.jpg
tUnE-YarDs

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs017.ash2/34228_443912321998_665226998_6391657_1504556_n.jpg
That guy from Radiohead.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs017.snc4/34228_443912326998_665226998_6391658_4868787_n.jpg
..and again..

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs115.snc4/36093_443912331998_665226998_6391659_5901749_n.jpg
..and again..

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs014.snc4/34060_443912691998_665226998_6391666_2577525_n.jpg
..and with some random dude..

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs037.snc4/34205_443912696998_665226998_6391667_8046799_n.jpg
..who has a really big violin.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs014.ash2/34060_443912701998_665226998_6391668_4383968_n.jpg
Some song about Karma and the police. Seemed popular.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs014.snc4/34060_443912711998_665226998_6391670_3086817_n.jpg
An advert for the Gorillaz set?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs014.snc4/34060_443912721998_665226998_6391672_7447299_n.jpg
Unfortunately positioned diner.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs488.snc3/26669_443912726998_665226998_6391673_5772011_n.jpg
Titan would fuck Hot Shot up.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs221.snc3/20853_443919166998_665226998_6392020_2408573_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs040.snc4/34364_443919591998_665226998_6392031_7072653_n.jpg
Empire of the Sun...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs044.ash2/35550_443919596998_665226998_6392032_7284500_n.jpg
..watch way too much Tron, Mad Max and Daft Punk videos.

unit300021
06-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Some pics for you all.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs014.ash2/34060_443912701998_665226998_6391668_4383968_n.jpg
Some song about Karma and the police. Seemed popular.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs221.snc3/20853_443919166998_665226998_6392020_2408573_n.jpg

Yes, I have that same guitar Thom is playing, that makes me happy lol.

Damn what a view. Knew it was a lot of people there but no Idea it was like that. And to think it sold out in 12 hours. Amazing.

Overall some really great pics.

shakermaker113
06-28-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm near delirious at this point. (but clean!) I think I'll refrain from writing too much more for a few days. recovery time.

sonofhal
06-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Yes, I have that same guitar Thom is playing, that makes me happy lol.

Damn what a view. Knew it was a lot of people there but no Idea it was like that. And to think it sold out in 12 hours. Amazing.

Overall some really great pics.

That view is of around one fifth of the site.

unknown
06-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Someone please explain Cube Henge.

sonofhal
06-28-2010, 01:24 PM
It's one of the many dance stages - but outdoors. The cubes change colour constantly - people trip off their tits - the usual plur deal. The orb did a 2hr set there.

Boourns
06-28-2010, 01:25 PM
It's a an area that's a glowing recreation of Stonehenge and The Orb played it.

faxman75
06-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Loving the pictures and hearing the stories trickle in.

sbessiso
06-28-2010, 02:27 PM
the most physically demanding week of my life. Glasto beat the shit out of me. Lots of fun was had but it definitely wasnt what i was expecting or hoping for. im sure ill be back one day.

rideincircles
06-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Fucking incredible, I have well over 1000 photos to upload when I have a faster internet connection. Probably won't get the chance to upload any videos for a while. Might do one tonight, will see. Muse & U2 hmmm.....

I don't ever think I have walked that much in my life. Nothing else compares to Glastonbury, thanks for the tips and advice people. Already want to go back next year, it's worth skipping almost every USA fest for.

Thisismyname
06-28-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more detailed breakdowns of everyones weekends. I'm seriously considering going next year, so I'm really interested to hear what all the first timers thought!

rideincircles
06-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Here is the one photo I have uploaded so far.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs127.snc4/36725_407976372279_174734597279_4324195_2428235_n. jpg

unknown
06-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Wow. That picture is incredible. Can't wait to hear how everyone's adventure was and glad to hear you are safe!

J~$$$$
06-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Good god. How many square acres is the festival? Great pics.

sbessiso
06-28-2010, 03:08 PM
oh yeah, orbital was the best set of the weekend

unknown
06-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Good god. How many square acres is the festival? Great pics.

Wiki has 2005 set at over 900 acres. That's fucking insane.

GeezrRckr
06-28-2010, 03:23 PM
and how many hectares is that?

shotglass75
06-28-2010, 03:24 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs040.snc4/34364_443919591998_665226998_6392031_7072653_n.jpg

On this picture alone, SOLD!!!!

GuyInTucson
06-28-2010, 03:28 PM
View from one of the most popular stages at Glastonbury. The one showing the England World Cup game!

http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/worldcup_06_25/w32_24017253.jpg

The fact that virtually the entire crowd has both hands on their heads in unison is making me lol.

rage patton
06-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Empire of the Sun...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs044.ash2/35550_443919596998_665226998_6392032_7284500_n.jpg
..watch way too much Tron, Mad Max and Daft Punk videos.

I love Tron, Mad Max and Daft Punk... and those pictures are pretty cool... but I cannot listen to more than 30 seconds of a single Empire Of The Sun song.

rage patton
06-28-2010, 07:05 PM

Really? You weren't even that big of a fan of them a couple months ago, were you?

the most physically demanding week of my life. Glasto beat the shit out of me. Lots of fun was had but it definitely wasnt what i was expecting or hoping for. im sure ill be back one day.

Is "wasnt what i was expecting or hoping for" a good thing, a bad thing, or a not sure yet?

digitaldragon03
06-28-2010, 07:57 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/digitaldragon03/w32_24017253.jpg

crazzz2007
06-28-2010, 09:09 PM

if Orbital was the best set of the weekend, they you FAIL at glastonbury.

no wonder it wasn't what you were expecting or hoping for.

theresalwaysone
06-28-2010, 10:04 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/digitaldragon03/w32_24017253.jpg

Hahahaha! Very nicely done.

Ardentbiscuit
06-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Ahh, Orbital with Matt Smith!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF_R5UJGt-g

shakermaker113
06-28-2010, 11:58 PM
if Orbital was the best set of the weekend, they you FAIL at glastonbury.

no wonder it wasn't what you were expecting or hoping for.

you weren't even there. get lost.

Geno_g
06-29-2010, 12:04 AM
OH wow, those pictures look amazing...

crazzz2007
06-29-2010, 01:03 AM
you weren't even there. get lost.

No need to be there. I think it's safe to say that it's impossible for Orbital to be the best set of Glastonbury. It's idiotic to even make the argument.

shakermaker113
06-29-2010, 01:12 AM
No need to be there. I think it's safe to say that it's impossible for Orbital to be the best set of Glastonbury. It's idiotic to even make the argument.

you don't like orbital. we get it. it's idiotic to impose your opinion as fact. go away.

sonofhal
06-29-2010, 01:41 AM

It's way more idiotic to have not been there and claim that it wasn't.

Boourns
06-29-2010, 03:48 AM
The best set was Thom and Jonny, obviously.

And the site is now 1100 acres.

shakermaker113
06-29-2010, 06:01 AM
you feeling any better Frank? I've fallen sick now.

Boourns
06-29-2010, 06:09 AM
In terms of the sinus infection, yes. Thank Xenu for the on-site doctors and pharmacist. Still can't move without pain or even walk properly without shuffling and limping like an OAP.

Shower did not feel nearly as good as it should have. The showers at this hostel are filthier than even those at a festival, and only boiling hot water is available (button turns on the shower, no knob for temperature or intensity adjustment) and there are strangely no shelves or hooks to place towels, clothes, toiletries, etc without getting them wet. Sleeping in a bed felt good, though.

Very busy right now but two things until I'm able to give proper reports, post pics, etc:
1. I got a sinus infection and had to go to the top of the farm to see a doctor and get antibiotics. That's how I spent my Thursday afternoon. And sadly I had to return on Sunday because the pills fell out of my tote bag while I was crawling around the secret tunnels in the Rabbit Hole on Saturday night. So because of these two trips to the doctor, I did not get the time to make anything in the crafts field and I was supposed to make things for a couple people :(
2. HUMAN TESLA COIL

unknown
06-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Damn, Frank. I'm tired of hearing about you suffering from a sinus infection all the time :( I can't even imagine travelling under those conditions. I hope you feel better soon.

citizenerased
06-29-2010, 09:00 AM
Here is the one photo I have uploaded so far.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs127.snc4/36725_407976372279_174734597279_4324195_2428235_n. jpg
All that is part of the festival? Holy shit... so much walking...

PlayaDelWes
06-29-2010, 09:26 AM
All that is part of the festival? Holy shit... so much walking...

Couldn't clusterfuck if they wanted.

shermanoaksyo
06-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Gorgeous photo. Next year I hope!

GuyInTucson
06-29-2010, 11:20 AM
So.... to those who went to Glastonbury from the states... how much money did you spend when you factor everything in (travel, tickets, food, camping/hotel, etc.)?

I have family in England and would love to make it to this festival one day.