PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2010 Glastonbury Coachella Board Meetup

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15

sonofhal
04-30-2010, 10:59 AM
I bought some tents for people today. I'd let them all know, but some of them are incapable of clearing their PM boxes.

Boourns
04-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Sorry, someone just sent me the same PM multiple times, and then posted it on the board.

chiapet
04-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Ya, I tend to think of british food as being fried with lots of "spices" (salt and pepper). :)

Kidding (mostly) - most food I've had in Britain has been pretty good. The only thing I wasn't pleased with, ironically, the Indian food. Maybe I'm just a spoiled brat in that regard.

I like really spicy food and the only thing I've found in the UK that was kind of hot in the way i like things is Colman's, which I will put on almost anything. Haggis + colman's???? mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I bought some tents for people today. I'd let them all know, but some of them are incapable of clearing their PM boxes.

Thanks for that!

sbessiso
04-30-2010, 11:33 AM
i totally forgot to pm you chris

sonofhal
04-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Argos must think I'm starting my own campsite.

chiapet
04-30-2010, 11:41 AM
AREN'T you? :)

Boourns
04-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Ya, I tend to think of british food as being fried with lots of "spices" (salt and pepper). :)

Kidding (mostly) - most food I've had in Britain has been pretty good. The only thing I wasn't pleased with, ironically, the Indian food. Maybe I'm just a spoiled brat in that regard.

I like really spicy food and the only thing I've found in the UK that was kind of hot in the way i like things is Colman's, which I will put on almost anything. Haggis + colman's???? mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks for that!

Yeah, most of what I had to eat was within walking distance of my hostel was crap (fish and chips made with shake n bake and shoestring fries instead of proper chips = wtf epic fail, but one pub nearby that I tried was decent and this place called Hummus Bar was epic, but closed early), and I had places written down to try but after Glasto I was too broke to take the underground very often (should have bought a weeks pass after glasto but didn't have enough at the time and when i did, no longer enough days left in my stay to justify it) to try any of them. For the record, I like spicy but Indian food makes me puke.

Here's a tip everyone, if you're stuck in the train station for long enough to be bored and not long enough to go out and do something, do not eat anything there, except whatever snacks you can get at the newsstand. You're better off starving.

Boourns
04-30-2010, 11:44 AM
My box is cleared (that's what she said)

chiapet
04-30-2010, 11:45 AM
You seem to have just had an unreasonably bad experience food wise. I won't pretend to know London that well, but I've been there I guess 5? 6? times and haven't really had a bad meal. Granted, it's expensive compared to here, but my last resort if I was in a rush was to go to one of the M&S Food stores that are about (especially near tube and train stations). If we had those here, I really don't think people would eat at McDonald's and the like.

Edit: I am lying. I had one bad meal. I was traveling with a friend who has impossibly bad travel luck and a bad attitude and manages to bring doom to travels. We went to a pub that appeared to have good food, but they were out of practically everything. I was starving. They made us jacket potatoes but then could not find even some butter. HOWEVER, after applying a copious amount of Colman's....

emtgreg
04-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Booking flight now.

I guess I'm gonna hang out in Canada for a day too.

chiapet
04-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Greg, are you still going to Dublin first then?

sonofhal
04-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Do you guys not do food research before travelling? I always have a list of the places I want to check out when I head out of the city. London, much like any other big city, has a lot of places that just rip off tourists with piss poor food. There is also a massive amount of great stuff available, but you need to do your homework. Here is a good place to start.

http://willeatformoney.blogspot.com/

Boourns
04-30-2010, 11:53 AM
You seem to have just had an unreasonably bad experience food wise. I won't pretend to know London that well, but I've been there I guess 5? 6? times and haven't really had a bad meal. Granted, it's expensive compared to here, but my last resort if I was in a rush was to go to one of the M&S Food stores that are about (especially near tube and train stations). If we had those here, I really don't think people would eat at McDonald's and the like.

Edit: I am lying. I had one bad meal. I was traveling with a friend who has impossibly bad travel luck and a bad attitude and manages to bring doom to travels. We went to a pub that appeared to have good food, but they were out of practically everything. I was starving. They made us jacket potatoes but then could not find even some butter. HOWEVER, after applying a copious amount of Colman's....

I tend to have extraordinarily bad luck to begin with.

sbessiso
04-30-2010, 11:54 AM
http://sidesalad.net/archives/DebbieDownerRachaelDratch.jpg

Boourns
04-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Do you guys not do food research before travelling? I always have a list of the places I want to check out when I head out of the city. London, much like any other big city, has a lot of places that just rip off tourists with piss poor food. There is also a massive amount of great stuff available, but you need to do your homework. Here is a good place to start.

http://willeatformoney.blogspot.com/

Not as thoroughly as Prague, but I wrote down several places to try. All of them I either couldn't find or couldn't afford to get there (let alone actually eat there) at that point.

chiapet
04-30-2010, 11:57 AM
I do research sometimes, but in London for some reason I mostly just see what looks interesting. It's not tough to dodge tourist places, it seems like most often people are too lazy or unwilling to walk a couple of blocks away to find something better. I have an informal rule that I will not eat within a couple of blocks of a tourist attraction *unless* I have a recommendation that the place is good. Suppose I rely on interesting menu, smelling good, and being pretty brisky busy with people who seem to be local.

chiapet
04-30-2010, 11:57 AM
I guess I should admit I've never done London on a budget. So there's that. I've eaten well though. :)

Boourns
04-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Unless I can find somewhere to stay, I'll only be in London for 2 or 3 days this time around, and on a peanut butter and tap water budget. Hmm, had zero success with couchsurfing.org last year...guess I can try again because I'd really hate to fly all the way out there and then leave immediately after doing Glasto.

chiapet
04-30-2010, 12:08 PM
I have also not figured out what I'm doing before Glasto, immediately after (before Roskilde), or when and where I'm flying. Suppose I should get on that.

emtgreg
04-30-2010, 12:11 PM
I am booked for Dublin. I land early on the 18th. I will be there for the weekend, then Early tuesday morning, take the Ferry to Holyhead, then the Train to Bristol Temple Meads.

sonofhal
04-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Unless I can find somewhere to stay, I'll only be in London for 2 or 3 days this time around, and on a peanut butter and tap water budget. Hmm, had zero success with couchsurfing.org last year...guess I can try again because I'd really hate to fly all the way out there and then leave immediately after doing Glasto.

http://www.hostels.com/london/england

Boourns
04-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I know what a hostel is, wiseass. Hostels cost money I don't have to spare. Even $20-40 a night (plus food, drink, transportation, entertainment) is more than I can afford.

sbessiso
04-30-2010, 12:28 PM
I have also not figured out what I'm doing before Glasto, immediately after (before Roskilde), or when and where I'm flying. Suppose I should get on that.

I too have yet to figure out where to stay/what to do when I get to London, where to stay right after Glasto, how to get to Denmark for Roskilde, and then you know what to do for the 5 days I have after RS before making sure im back in London in time for my flight

Boourns
04-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Right now my agenda is:
arrive London Monday the 21st
leave for Bristol the 22nd
GLASTO
London on the 28th
either London on the 29th and 30th and possibly the 1st of July or return home on the 29th

sonofhal
04-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Things to do around Roskilde.

Spend at least a day in Copenhagen, and also hop on the train over to Malmo in Sweden (it's only 30 mins from Copenhagen).

Visit Christiania - it's a lawless utopia of stoners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown_Christiania

http://ismb01.cbs.dtu.dk/gifs/tivolibynight.jpg
Hit Tivoli gardens - the theme park in the centre of Copenhagen. They have bands on some evenings (I saw Mew there a few years ago).

http://www.wonderfulinfo.com/amazing/oresundbridge/pic02.jpg
The train to Malmo runs under this bridge.

http://www.archnewsnow.com/features/images/Feature0193_04x.jpg
Check out the turning torso in Malmo.

chiapet
04-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Hrmmmm decisions, decisions. Greg, I suspect I'm not doing Dublin. I'd end up having 2 days tops, and I think instead I'm going to go to London, have a low-key weekend, recover from jet lag, visit some friends, and get some shopping done. With some regrets. :)

Salah, I think we can figure out the part between Glasto & Roskilde together.

As for after Roskilde, unless there is stuff you really want to do in Copenhagen, Denmark would not be my suggestion for the week after. It's expensive, and I think for your first chance to actually travel (since you won't see much during the fest weeks), I would go somewhere a little more exciting. For example -- Amsterdam, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid or Paris. Amsterdam is obvious. I think you would love Barcelona, it's somewhat expensive and I can't remember if July is tourist season or not (it would be really hot, but I think that's when Brits go there for sun? July/Aug).

Boourns
04-30-2010, 12:46 PM
That looks awesome

chiapet
04-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Things to do around Roskilde.

Spend at least a day in Copenhagen, and also hop on the train over to Malmo in Sweden (it's only 30 mins from Copenhagen).

I am probably going to be staying up north after Roskilde, so I should get on this planning. I've been waiting to see if Danish & Norwegian friends will be around that week so they can plan it for me.

sbessiso
04-30-2010, 12:50 PM
AHHH all wonderful suggestions! this thread is money...

what I was THINKING of doing was just going through germany, maybe spending a day there then heading to Amsterdam/Belgium before getting back to London (shouldnt be too difficult considering how close they are right?)

for some odd reason Sweden never crossed my mind but a 30 minute train ride is hard to ignore

sbessiso
04-30-2010, 12:51 PM
im thinking france, italy, spain will be my next trip :)

sonofhal
04-30-2010, 12:54 PM
im thinking france, italy, spain will be my next trip :)

Primavera!

emtgreg
04-30-2010, 12:54 PM
After Glasto, I won't be tripping until Ultra 2011!

Boourns
04-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Hrmmmm decisions, decisions. Greg, I suspect I'm not doing Dublin. I'd end up having 2 days tops, and I think instead I'm going to go to London, have a low-key weekend, recover from jet lag, visit some friends, and get some shopping done. With some regrets. :)

Salah, I think we can figure out the part between Glasto & Roskilde together.

As for after Roskilde, unless there is stuff you really want to do in Copenhagen, Denmark would not be my suggestion for the week after. It's expensive, and I think for your first chance to actually travel (since you won't see much during the fest weeks), I would go somewhere a little more exciting. For example -- Amsterdam, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid or Paris. Amsterdam is obvious. I think you would love Barcelona, it's somewhat expensive and I can't remember if July is tourist season or not (it would be really hot, but I think that's when Brits go there for sun? July/Aug).

Prague would be a good one. Cheap, beautiful, tasty food and beer, and lots of cool daytrips. I would recommend spending a day in Cesky Krumlov, too, if you are ever there. I couldn't get a reservation in Cesky Krumlov on any of my 5 planned days in the Czech Republic weeks in advance (and none became available at the last minute), so if you're doing that, book early, as in six months ago early.

sbessiso
04-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Primavera!

why not! the lineups are always so yummy.

gotta make sure to do Roo next year though. I know, I know, dirty hippie. But it'll be the 10th anniversary and i cannot miss that (its painful for me to even skip this year)

chiapet
04-30-2010, 12:56 PM
It is really easy to take trains quickly across Germany, Amsterdam, Belgium and back to London. I've done London -> Brussels -> Amsterdam -> Cologne -> ?? (going east once, and going south once) before and it was a lot of fun. I love traveling by train because it's usually very flexible, on ones where you are just using a pass or do not have to reserve seats. If you see something that looks interesting, get off, do it, if not, ride on to the next city. (I did that in Spain for over a month and it was the best vacation I've ever had).

Brussels <-> London on Eurostar (train) is not cheap. Once you get past that portion (or just decide to fly), it's relatively inexpensive.

I did not love Amsterdam very much but the only time I really gave it a shot (5 days) I was sick most of the time, plus I don't smoke, so it was like... 5 days of drinking beer and going to museums. Not terrible but not the best holiday I've ever had.

Berlin was a lot of fun, and is not a very long train or flight from Copenhagen and you could fly back to London with a < 2 hour flight.

chiapet
04-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Boourns, I've still not been to the Czech republic. I have a lot of traveling to do. :) I'm trying to get myself to do something a little different this time, since I've avoided Scandinavia all together. Originally I was going to Iceland on the tail end of the trip but now I'm afraid it will blow up and strand me. (Actually... HRMMMMM..)

sonofhal
04-30-2010, 12:59 PM
I get quite a lot of emails about eurostar offers (half price etc), so will let you guys know if anything crops up.

emtgreg
04-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Iceland is absolutely, positively on my list of places to visit.

Details are a killer however.

chiapet
04-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Actually I was just noticing that the 69£ return fare via Brussels is a really good deal, the dates are particular but might work. Crap now I'm looking at trips to Avignon.

chiapet
04-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Yea Greg, this was meant to be my trip (even before Roskilde was planned, I was already heading to Denmark). Iceland Air does extended layovers that allow you up to a week between connections in Reykjavik. I don't think I'll have enough time this trip now with RF, and can't risk getting suck since my work will KILL me if I'm not in the office on the day I'm expected back.

Edited to add. One of the reasons I'm stalling on booking flights and stuff is I'm trying to convince my boss that work should put me up in Belfast for a few days, where I have some work stuff to be done. That they want me to do remotely over the phone despite a 8 hour time difference. BS. Send me to Belfast!

sbessiso
04-30-2010, 01:07 PM
It is really easy to take trains quickly across Germany, Amsterdam, Belgium and back to London. I've done London -> Brussels -> Amsterdam -> Cologne -> ?? (going east once, and going south once) before and it was a lot of fun. I love traveling by train because it's usually very flexible, on ones where you are just using a pass or do not have to reserve seats. If you see something that looks interesting, get off, do it, if not, ride on to the next city. (I did that in Spain for over a month and it was the best vacation I've ever had).

Brussels <-> London on Eurostar (train) is not cheap. Once you get past that portion (or just decide to fly), it's relatively inexpensive.

I did not love Amsterdam very much but the only time I really gave it a shot (5 days) I was sick most of the time, plus I don't smoke, so it was like... 5 days of drinking beer and going to museums. Not terrible but not the best holiday I've ever had.

Berlin was a lot of fun, and is not a very long train or flight from Copenhagen and you could fly back to London with a < 2 hour flight.

so helpful, you dont even know. I cant wait to hug you again, Heidi.

and uhh this is going to make me sound really dumb (but i dont care), but
It is really easy to take trains quickly across Germany, Amsterdam, Belgium and back to London.

im looking at a map and I was thinking id need a boat to get back to london

sonofhal
04-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Iceland is absolutely, positively on my list of places to visit.

Details are a killer however.

It's a toss up between Iceland and Norway for the most expensive place I've ever been to. Both beautiful, but expect to pay about $20 for a beer.

chiapet
04-30-2010, 01:12 PM
im looking at a map and I was thinking id need a boat to get back to london

Channel Tunnel :) Trains go under the English Channel between England and France, and then (for Brussels) you loop over from there. It's very fast, especially once you hit the tunnel. Around 2 hours? And you only have to check in like 1 hour early for trains (if I remember correctly), plus the train stations are usually in the city centers. I love trains so much more than planes.

Boourns
04-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Boourns, I've still not been to the Czech republic. I have a lot of traveling to do. :) I'm trying to get myself to do something a little different this time, since I've avoided Scandinavia all together. Originally I was going to Iceland on the tail end of the trip but now I'm afraid it will blow up and strand me. (Actually... HRMMMMM..)

I really want to go back, but there are still so many places I have yet to visit (Spain and Italy are next on the agenda), so who knows when or if I ever will.

lol @ $20 beer in Iceland. Gotta love Prague where beer is 2 for $1 in stores and 1 for $2 in restaurants (away from the tourist strip). Would love to visit Iceland, too. But unless I win the lottery, it's never happening.

Actually, the cheapest eat in Prague is on the tourist strip. Actually, it's the only thing I ate while on it, and I had it often. Smazeny syr...which is basically fried edam cheese on a bun with tartar sauce. Weird, but addictive. Sometimes the simplest things are the best. Cost? $1.50-2.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/frankatcoachella/254.jpg

sonofhal
04-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Yeah - the Eurostar to France/Brussels now goes out of Kings Cross/St Pancras rather than Waterloo. They will be expanding it to Amsterdam and Berlin in a couple of years, and will also start running trains from Stratford (which is 10 mins from my house).

chiapet
04-30-2010, 01:21 PM
^^ I remember Anthony Bourdain eating those on his show on Prague. They look really revolting to me, to be honest.. :) But to each his own.

Regarding places to stay in London before Glastonbury, did anyone check into paulo's suggestion of St Christopher's Inn hostels? I want to check it out more, but there is a location in Shepherd's Bush that I'm considering. It's like a block from where I stayed a few years ago, it's not the absolute most central for tourism, but I like the neighborhood and it's a little quieter than staying in like, Camden, or something.

Edit - I've been in the damned hostel and didn't realize. At least the bar on the ground level.

sbessiso
04-30-2010, 01:22 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/frankatcoachella/254.jpg

this looks beyond disgusting

Boourns
04-30-2010, 01:23 PM
They look revolting, and should be revolting, but they're tasty times.

sonofhal
04-30-2010, 01:30 PM
^^ I remember Anthony Bourdain eating those on his show on Prague. They look really revolting to me, to be honest.. :) But to each his own.

Regarding places to stay in London before Glastonbury, did anyone check into paulo's suggestion of St Christopher's Inn hostels? I want to check it out more, but there is a location in Shepherd's Bush that I'm considering. It's like a block from where I stayed a few years ago, it's not the absolute most central for tourism, but I like the neighborhood and it's a little quieter than staying in like, Camden, or something.

Edit - I've been in the damned hostel and didn't realize. At least the bar on the ground level.

Shepherds Bush has had a major facelift recently, and is now a lot busier since the biggest shopping mall in the UK opened there. On a plus side, there is now a ton of places to eat there (and it's still only a 40 min walk into the centre of town from there, for those who don't mind walking).

chiapet
04-30-2010, 01:37 PM
there were an awful lot of cosy pubs in Shepherd's Bush, once you get off the main streets, and ya, lots of decent food. Assuming there are still a lot of convenient things there (like I remember there being a couple of big grocery stores, an Argos in the shopping center, laundromats, etc).

chiapet
04-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Crap. You meant a Westfield mall, didn't you? I should probably stay clear of there, or I'll end up shipping home to myself boxes of clothes and shoes again :(

sonofhal
04-30-2010, 01:42 PM
There is a kebab shop in Shepherds Bush that serves beer all night as long as you buy some food. I have spent many a late night/early morning in there.

sonofhal
04-30-2010, 01:43 PM
...and yes, it is a Westfield one. They are building an even bigger one over near me next to the olympic site.

chiapet
04-30-2010, 01:52 PM
I hate Westfield as a brand but get pulled in by the allure of so many pretty posh things in one area. We have one here and I only go into it like once every year or two but it's doom when I do. And really ridiculous for someone who wears combat boots and tshirts every day to be perusing designer clothing.

Your shopping is just so much better than ours. It makes me sad. That reminds me that I am dedicating a London day to shopping. :(

Boourns
04-30-2010, 02:10 PM
there were an awful lot of cosy pubs in Shepherd's Bush, once you get off the main streets, and ya, lots of decent food. Assuming there are still a lot of convenient things there (like I remember there being a couple of big grocery stores, an Argos in the shopping center, laundromats, etc).

Looking for a new area to stay in this time around...leaning towards Shepherd's Bush at the moment. The St. Christopher's has a really cheap rate right now so I reserved a bed for the 28th-30th just in case.

emtgreg
04-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Alright, everything is booked, Planes, Ferries, Trains.

Now fully committed.

Now, here's to hoping I can get to the Bristol Temple Meads by 1054am on Monday Morning. I may have to find a ride immediately after Orbital, but I'll get there.

emtgreg
04-30-2010, 02:43 PM
It's a toss up between Iceland and Norway for the most expensive place I've ever been to. Both beautiful, but expect to pay about $20 for a beer.

Eeek!

Luckily, I don't drink (or smoke) much (or at all).

Eating however, is how I earned my chubby shape and disposition, so I fear my enjoyment of fatty foods will more than make up for my lack of alcohol or illicit substance purchases!!

Boourns
04-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Alright, everything is booked, Planes, Ferries, Trains.

Now fully committed.

Now, here's to hoping I can get to the Bristol Temple Meads by 1054am on Monday Morning. I may have to find a ride immediately after Orbital, but I'll get there.

High five!

No need to do anything that drastic. Nationalexpress has coaches that go from the festival to Bristol for £20.00 one way, which is hella rapey, I know. But look at the times available for Monday:
07:00 08:15 1hr 15min
08:00 09:15 1hr 15min
09:00 10:15 1hr 15min
10:00 11:15 1hr 15min
11:00 12:15 1hr 15min
12:00 13:15 1hr 15min
13:00 14:15 1hr 15min
14:00 15:15 1hr 15min

I'll book an early one, just in case there are any delays (my train leaves at 14:30) and if not, I'll just wander around Bristol for a couple hours.

Wait, are you flying out of Bristol or what?

chiapet
04-30-2010, 03:52 PM
So Boourns, are you saying you already did book? I haven't decided yet whether I'm doing a hostel or not, but I imagine I'm probably going to end up staying near Shepherd's Bush or Kensington or possibly closer to South Bank (yea I know that's a weird combo). Kensington is right next to Shepherd's Bush though.

Boourns
04-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I reserved a hostel. Only $7 or so, so why not.

Still need to book one for the Monday before Glasto. Will be too busy getting camp gear and recovering from jet lag to have fun, so I don't really care where. Well, maybe convenient to Paddington.

chiapet
04-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Where did you reserve that it was $7? I'm seeing $17-$28 a night for the dates you mentioned and more like $35-40 a night for the days before Glastonbury.

I do not have any good recommendations near Paddington - the places I've stayed reasonably near the station were overpriced and not very good.

shakermaker113
04-30-2010, 04:43 PM
goodness this thread exploded.

Boourns
04-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Where did you reserve that it was $7? I'm seeing $17-$28 a night for the dates you mentioned and more like $35-40 a night for the days before Glastonbury.

I do not have any good recommendations near Paddington - the places I've stayed reasonably near the station were overpriced and not very good.

$7 is the deposit to reserve it.

chiapet
04-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Oh, got it. I'm a bit dense about the hostel situation. Well, I am planning on booking flights and pre-Glasto lodging soon.

emtgreg
04-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Boourns: on that coach, it shows a stop at Kingsdown Bus Station, is that real?

Meaning it will really stop there?

Kuz that would be where I have to get off, given that Temple Meads is a mere 1 mile away from there.

I don't want the Airport, but the only routing out seems to be to the Airport.

sbessiso
04-30-2010, 06:56 PM
ok so next thing on the list should be reserve a hostel that sunday/monday night in London.

OMG ive been wanting to go to London since I was a little kid

emtgreg
04-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Hopefully, I'll buy that, I need that 7am bus out.

chiapet
04-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Boourns, I'm searching this thread and can't seem to find the train you booked from London. Could you indulge me with that again? I'm going to try to get on the same train as you.

emtgreg
04-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Of course, National Express' website fails on me.

Boourns
04-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Boourns: on that coach, it shows a stop at Kingsdown Bus Station, is that real?

Meaning it will really stop there?

Kuz that would be where I have to get off, given that Temple Meads is a mere 1 mile away from there.

I don't want the Airport, but the only routing out seems to be to the Airport.

What are you looking at? I don't see any stops listed.

What I'm seeing:

Stops for service EVG18 Departure / arrival
Glastonbury, Festival site, Pilton lay-by, Somerset Departs: 07:00
BRISTOL, Marlborough St Bus Station, Bristol Arrives: 08:15
End of Journey

Boourns
04-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Boourns, I'm searching this thread and can't seem to find the train you booked from London. Could you indulge me with that again? I'm going to try to get on the same train as you.

First Great Western train service : 13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads 15:15

emtgreg
04-30-2010, 07:45 PM
What are you looking at? I don't see any stops listed.

What I'm seeing:

nevermind, national express is still retarded, i need to clear my cache everytime i visit their site, or else it doesn't think bristol exists.

also, they don't like my credit card.

/rant

Boourns
04-30-2010, 07:52 PM
http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/index.cfm

Looking at one ways from glastonbury festival to bristol on 6/28

emtgreg
04-30-2010, 08:01 PM
well, i found it, but they are declining every card i've tried.

Looks like I'm walking, Thumbing, Taxiing, or attempting the free bus at 6am.

Boourns
04-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Why is it declining your cards?

Don't forget the hitchhikers code. :-O

chiapet
04-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Guys, if you're having trouble with the cards, a few things -- travel bookings & concert tickets are considered high probability of fraud (since they do not necessarily ship merchandise), call your credit card company or bank first. Sometimes I have had to stay on the phone w/ my credit card company while clicking the "submit" button on the payment, in order for them to figure out what was going wrong.

Other than that, the obvious stuff, make sure you're not putting your card expiration date in the "start" date field (our cards usually don't have start dates), and that you're using the right box for the security code (3 digit vs. 4 digit for Amex and some UK cards).

chiapet
04-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Boourns, I'm booked on your train. I haven't done the return trip yet though.

sonofhal
05-01-2010, 12:08 AM

You can get in at the Hostel 639 (near Portobello Rd) for quite cheap on Expedia.co.uk. Works out to just under $20 each per night to stay the sun and mon before glasto, as long as you don't mind staying in a big dorm.

Boourns
05-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Boourns, I'm booked on your train. I haven't done the return trip yet though.

Trainchella

paulo999
05-01-2010, 12:53 AM
Trainchella

:D

sbessiso
05-01-2010, 01:43 AM
You can get in at the Hostel 639 (near Portobello Rd) for quite cheap on Expedia.co.uk. Works out to just under $20 each per night to stay the sun and mon before glasto, as long as you don't mind staying in a big dorm.

:thu

im going to be sooo shy but theres no better way to get over it

chiapet
05-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Wow that place has bad reviews. I think I've just gotten too old to stay in the cheapest place possible.

emtgreg
05-01-2010, 03:51 PM
I haven't committed to anything yet in regards to where I'm staying.

part of me wants the security/cleanliness of a hotel, part of me wants the social aspect of the hostel...

maybe i'll do both?

paulo999
05-03-2010, 09:25 AM
I haven't committed to anything yet in regards to where I'm staying.

part of me wants the security/cleanliness of a hotel, part of me wants the social aspect of the hostel...

maybe i'll do both?

You can get a private room at some of the St Christopher's Inns locations. Might be a reasonable compromise.

chiapet
05-03-2010, 09:35 AM
I checked that out (thinking even if I'm prissy at least I could stay in the same place as the others), but it looks like they may be sold out of private rooms for the days immediately before Glasto. Need to check more thoroughly/again to see what the options are.

emtgreg
05-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Yeah, most of the Hostels in Dublin are sold out of Singles the weekend before Glasto...

MissingPerson
05-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Potential Dublingoers, you guys ought to know, I'm going to Sweden for the Arcade Fire show and the only cheap flight out I can Stockholmwards is on the 27th. Just so you know.

emtgreg
05-03-2010, 06:58 PM
I'll be there the 18th thru the 22nd. I refuse to conflict with Win.

MissingPerson
05-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Good man. :)

Yeah, was just making sure everybody knew the story. June thru July is going to be dearly expensive for me.

emtgreg
05-03-2010, 07:21 PM
That's the story, morning glory.

*runs away*

Boourns
05-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Good one.

So Chris, what's the latest on the tents?

sonofhal
05-05-2010, 01:38 AM
I have a chiapet tent and a boourns tent.

Volcanic ash is back. Hope this isn't going to go on all summer.

rideincircles
05-05-2010, 08:22 AM
I do not like the volcanic ash, makes me worried when booking 3 weeks worth of vacation. I went ahead & got the plane tix from London to barcelona on iberia for $327 for the pair. Now I need to book Barcelona hostels, then transportation to cinque terre & then to Paris & where to stay there. Still much to do. Hope to finish itinerary by the end of month.

chiapet
05-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Volcanic ash has me really worried too. Over my vacation, as well as how it could fuck up festivals/shows this summer. (Hopefully at this point, people are at least considering this as a possibility when booking shows and -- for the festivals / one offs at least -- are thinking about alternate transport).

Still have not booked flights and this is just going to make me stall longer. Is it worth the extra cost of doing refundable (as to be able to rebook), or would I just be screwed either way as hundreds of thousands of people try to re-route flights? Does travel/trip/flight insurance cover volcanic interruptions or cancellations of trips?

Boourns
05-05-2010, 01:34 PM
I have a chiapet tent and a boourns tent.

How much do I owe you and how should I pay you back?

sonofhal
05-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Volcanic ash has me really worried too. Over my vacation, as well as how it could fuck up festivals/shows this summer. (Hopefully at this point, people are at least considering this as a possibility when booking shows and -- for the festivals / one offs at least -- are thinking about alternate transport).

Still have not booked flights and this is just going to make me stall longer. Is it worth the extra cost of doing refundable (as to be able to rebook), or would I just be screwed either way as hundreds of thousands of people try to re-route flights? Does travel/trip/flight insurance cover volcanic interruptions or cancellations of trips?

Just book one. All the airlines were offering a choice of a rescheduled flight or a refund last month, so I imagine it will be the same for any future ashcidents.

chiapet
05-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Yea, I guess it shouldn't be a big deal as I'm heading in for Glastonbury several days early. I'm considering taking train to Roskilde rather than plane though. I like trains, plus it seems like less hassle should the thing still be sputtering.

suprefan
05-05-2010, 03:27 PM
I do not like the volcanic ash, makes me worried when booking 3 weeks worth of vacation. I went ahead & got the plane tix from London to barcelona on iberia for $327 for the pair. Now I need to book Barcelona hostels, then transportation to cinque terre & then to Paris & where to stay there. Still much to do. Hope to finish itinerary by the end of month.

Check out this hostel in Barcelona. http://kabul.es right smack in the middle of the city, and not that pricey.

MissingPerson
05-05-2010, 03:29 PM

Tell me about it.

That said, I have just booked some flights. I'm not letting the volcano/terrorists win dammit, and you guys shouldn't either.

sbessiso
05-05-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm considering taking train to Roskilde rather than plane though

Yes.

chiapet
05-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Yes? Let's maybe train then. I'll figure out what we'd be looking at to get from London to Copenhagen.

sbessiso
05-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Train just seems a little more adventurous and easier in terms of not having to check bags and stuff

chiapet
05-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Yea, it's a bit more hassle in the sense that you have to port your own bags and change trains and such but would be a lot more flexible regarding baggage weight. Trains are fun. :)

Bongo-anders
05-06-2010, 01:05 PM
I think that a train trip is a good idea and if i was you i would take a high speed train from London to Cologne (Köln) through Brussels.
There is a direct night train from Cologne to Copenhagen.

A timetable could look like this.

London St. Pancras International - 29.06.10 - 16:04
Bruxelles-Midi Eurostar - 29.06.10 - 19:03
Change of terminal by foot
Bruxelles-Midi - 29.06.10 - 19:28
Köln Hbf - 29.06.10 - 21:15
Köln Hbf - 29.06.10 - 22:28
København H (Copenhagen) - 30.06.10 - 10:06

Boourns
05-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Has anyone been to Sheffield? Looks like I can get there on the megabus cheaply.

chiapet
05-06-2010, 02:23 PM
I think that a train trip is a good idea and if i was you i would take a high speed train from London to Cologne (Köln) through Brussels.

That is almost verbatim what I'm looking at, I haven't done the Koeln -> Copenhagen leg of it but have done London -> brussels -> Koeln a few times and it's not a bad trip at all.

I'd forgotten that the night train to Copenhagen would be close to 12 hours, .... fortunately the time tables are accurate, unlike American trains (Amtrak) where a 12 hour stated time would mean like 18 or 20 hours ;)

chiapet
05-06-2010, 05:56 PM
I'm almost reconsidering staying in denmark after Roskilde, the exchange rates for GBP are so poor right now (in our favor) that it seems like a good time to see more of England.

So far I've booked my hotel pre-Glasto, have exhausted myself looking for a reasonable (and cheap) place to stay after, and have gotten irritated with flight costs. I'm going to go read my Denmark travel book now. :)

Boourns
05-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Article about Arcadia...one excerpt:

The Glastonbury show will, of course, be the biggest. I try to tease out some more details.

"Lightning" says Bertie.

All they'll say is that it's not Tesla Coils - the monster size plasma creations seen occasionally at the likes of Burning Man. But any more than that, they're not revealing.

http://www.glastoearth.com/news/arcadia-glastonbury-preview

shakermaker113
05-07-2010, 08:26 AM
all that did was remind me how I missed the tesla coils this year. :-(

emtgreg
05-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Oh Snap...snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap...

Bongo-anders
05-07-2010, 10:31 AM
@ chiapet

If you don´t have any business in Copenhagen you can just get of the train in Høje Taastrup and take another train backwards to Roskilde.
It only takes around 5-10 minutes from Høje Taastrup but around 25-30 minutes from Copenhagen.

The night train will pass Roskilde on its way to Copenhagen but not stop there.

chiapet
05-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Yup, understood. We're waffling on taking the train all the way to Copenhagen because of the length of time...

Bongo-anders
05-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Then you can get some more sleep on the train. :-)

sonofhal
05-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Has anyone been to Sheffield? Looks like I can get there on the megabus cheaply.

Unless there is a show on there that you want to see, I can't think of any good reason to visit Sheffield. It only has a rich musical heritage due to how dull the place is. Nothing else to do but start a band.

chiapet
05-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Skip it and watch the "Made in Sheffield" documentary instead.

chiapet
05-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Are you looking for things to do after Glastonbury, Boourns? How much time do you have? What about Scotland? National Express has overnight trains to Edinburgh for less than $50 USD round trip.

Boourns
05-07-2010, 11:34 AM
To see all the pulp related sights. I do know that the fountain down the road is long gone.

paulo999
05-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Tight change at Brussels. It's not the best laid out station. One big concourse (good) which has lots of needless obstructions like shops (bad).

Definitely doable, just be on your toes! :) v. jealous. I've done London to Berlin on the train, but not as far as Copenhagen.

paulo999
05-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Article about Arcadia

Hope it was a fun read. :) The article was a long time in gestation. They're really great people, and I hope they do make it to BM in 2012. Hope I do too.

sonofhal
05-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Go back to London and see Grizzly Bear in Hyde Park (Mon) or Broken Social Scene at The Forum (Wed).

If you are really daring, go see Jack Johnson at the 02.

Boourns
05-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Grizzly Bear in Hyde Park? Seriously? Surely in a different part of the park than the massive area they use for Blur and Wireless, right?

I don't think I can do anything on Monday, sadly. My train doesn't get back to London until 16:14, then I have to get to the hostel, and then write and submit my report on the whole festival before doing anything else.

BSS is tempting, especially since they are clashing with LCD at Glasto.

chiapet
05-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Definitely doable, just be on your toes! :) v. jealous. I've done London to Berlin on the train, but not as far as Copenhagen.

Same -- and I don't remember the trip being so long. (Unfortunately?) I suspect we'll end up on a plane just because we don't have a lot of free time.

shakermaker113
05-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Are you looking for things to do after Glastonbury, Boourns? How much time do you have? What about Scotland? National Express has overnight trains to Edinburgh for less than $50 USD round trip.

I'm going to be in edinburgh the weekend after glastonbury.

suprefan
05-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Grizzly Bear in Hyde Park? Seriously? Surely in a different part of the park than the massive area they use for Blur and Wireless, right?

I don't think I can do anything on Monday, sadly. My train doesn't get back to London until 16:14, then I have to get to the hostel, and then write and submit my report on the whole festival before doing anything else.

you imagine Grizzly Bear are going to be with 3 or 4 other acts so that it will fill up?

sonofhal
05-08-2010, 10:43 AM

Yeah - they use the large tent round the back and the bandstand. There will probably be 5 or 6 acts on. The Bon Iver one finished at 10pm last year, giving me enought time to nip over to Madame Jojo's and catch the Portugal.The Man show.

chiapet
05-08-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm going to be in edinburgh the weekend after glastonbury.

I was tempted to do that and then go further north. A couple of my uncles were keen to send me on a genealogical mission to get some pictures of family estates and whatnot. (I always say I'm italian but my mom's family is mostly scottish).

But I'm trying to make myself do something new instead of just going to the same places every time I travel... hence Roskilde and a week following in Denmark and maybe Sweden.

... And now that I'm sort of committed to it, I'm feeling bad for myself wanting to go to Scotland and also wishing I could go visit friends in Paris too on this trip. Yes I know I'm a spoiled brat. :(

chiapet
05-08-2010, 11:43 AM
I think the Serpentine sessions series would be quite fun if you have the time and $$. Patti Smith would be good but I'll be seeing her at Roskilde. <3 No info yet on the supporting acts but I've been keeping an eye on it.

chiapet
05-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Hey Boourns, did you pre-book your bus ride from Bristol to Glastonbury, or just the train?

Have you buys already booked the return trip? It just occurred to me that this is perhaps more important since everyone will be trying to leave at the same time. Are you taking the National Express coach from the festival to Bristol? I might try to catch the same bus as some of you if you are.

emtgreg
05-08-2010, 03:44 PM
I am feeling the 7am bus out, gives me enough time to get to the train station, they claim a 1.5 hour bus ride, id rather get there early with no stress than wonder if i'm going to make it to a 10am train...

I've booked the train and ferry back to dublin, id fly back, but there's only one flight direct to dublin on ryan air, and its at 7am, and with bags it would be so expensive...

emtgreg
05-08-2010, 03:44 PM
i need to pay for it though, soon, all my credit cards block national express for some reason, so annoying...

Boourns
05-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Hey Boourns, did you pre-book your bus ride from Bristol to Glastonbury, or just the train?

Have you buys already booked the return trip? It just occurred to me that this is perhaps more important since everyone will be trying to leave at the same time. Are you taking the National Express coach from the festival to Bristol? I might try to catch the same bus as some of you if you are.

I believe the bus from Bristol to town is a local one so no on that but I should probably book my natexp back to Bristol soon. Tonight actually. And I need to book a hostel for the Monday before glasto in London.

shakermaker113
05-08-2010, 05:08 PM

ha. I am visiting a friend in paris the weekend before, and friends in edinburgh the weekend after. and a friend in oxford and some family in between.

sbessiso
05-08-2010, 06:30 PM
yeah, hostels. i need to get on that...

chiapet
05-08-2010, 06:59 PM
I believe the bus from Bristol to town is a local one so no on that but I should probably book my natexp back to Bristol soon.

Cool, that's what I was planning on doing too (booking the national express coach from the festival to bristol). It's like 20 GBP one way though, which has me wondering how bad taxi fare would be. (probably bad, with traffic).

chiapet
05-08-2010, 07:03 PM
ha. I am visiting a friend in paris the weekend before, and friends in edinburgh the weekend after. and a friend in oxford and some family in between.

I'd be jealous (okay I am a bit), I'm sure I'll have fun if I could just figure out where I'm gong to go... :)

Boourns
05-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Emily eavis said no more flags in the front area of the pyramid. No idea how they will enforce that.

emtgreg
05-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Beatings.

Severe Beatings.

Also, every-time someone waves a flag, a Jack Johnson song is played.

If this is during Jack Johnson, his set is extended by one song.

Boourns
05-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Every time the I <3 Sausages flag appears front and center, Jack Johnson covers a Radiohead song.

sbessiso
05-09-2010, 08:58 AM
so theoretically I can buy a tent when I get into London that Sunday, right?

sbessiso
05-09-2010, 09:06 AM
I dont give a SHIT about conflicts, i have to see this

EGqKFxMqI_E

sbessiso
05-09-2010, 09:19 AM
also, someone wanna recommend me a decent not TERRIBLY overpriced backpack that will fit most if not all my shit

sonofhal
05-09-2010, 09:23 AM
I dont give a SHIT about conflicts, i have to see this

EGqKFxMqI_E

They are playing in London the day after you arrive.

sonofhal
05-09-2010, 09:24 AM
so theoretically I can buy a tent when I get into London that Sunday, right?

What time do you get in?

sbessiso
05-09-2010, 09:27 AM
What time do you get in?

Had to check again, I arrive at London Gatwick Apt on June 20th at 9:55am

sonofhal
05-09-2010, 09:36 AM
You should have plenty of time to grab a tent on sunday then. You'll probably be in the city by midday.

sbessiso
05-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Excellent!

And...

http://meltdown.southbankcentre.co.uk/2010/events/broken-bells/

you should totally go, dude

sonofhal
05-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Yeah - I already have tix.

sbessiso
05-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Hurray! Ill probably see you there then but I feel like I shouldnt commit to a show before I book a hostel.

OR just find a hostel close to the venue. *scratches chin*

sonofhal
05-09-2010, 10:54 AM
London has pretty damn good public transport, but if you are staying centrally then you'll probably be able to walk back to your hostel after the show.

This place in Russel Square has rooms for under £10 if you don't mind sharing a big dorm. It's also very central (and about a 30 min walk from the venue).

http://www.hostelworld.com/availability.php/Smart-Russell-Square/London/29412

paulo999
05-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Had to check again, I arrive at London Gatwick Apt on June 20th at 9:55am

Take the tube to Canada Water - there's a huge Decathlon there. Sells everything you need (apart from wellies), half the price of central London camping stores, and it's all really good quality stuff.

Plus they have all the tents on display, so you can see what you're buying. The pop-ups, which they invented, are very popular. If you get one, ask for a demo of how to pack it back up.

It's about 20 mins from middle of town on the Jubilee Line.

sbessiso
05-09-2010, 12:38 PM
So many helpful tips! I thank you lads. im gunna have to come back and re-read once we get closer to the date

Boourns
05-09-2010, 12:56 PM
I just booked a national express from Glasto to Bristol for Monday at 10am. Train doesn't leave until 2:30 but I figured I better book an early one in case there are any delays. Now just have to book a hostel for the Monday before Glasto. And get my plane ticket...

chiapet
05-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Salah, you want to take the same bus/train from Glastonbury that Boourns is taking?

sbessiso
05-09-2010, 01:21 PM
I dont know, I havent thought about that yet

Boourns
05-09-2010, 01:25 PM
If so, what I booked

To Glasto on Tuesday: First Great Western train service : 13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads 15:15

From Glasto:
First Great Western train service : 14:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington 16:14

chiapet
05-09-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm keen to book the return trip from Glastonbury soon, it seems like that would sell out at point.

Boourns
05-10-2010, 03:06 AM
Totally. National Express is a bit misleading...it does not inform you that a bus is sold out until you you try to check out. I ran into some trouble last year when I tried to book my coach (I had to try about 5-6 times for each leg of the trip before I found times that weren't sold out).

The reason I booked such an early time on Monday is because I remember how things go with the coaches: once space in the luggage compartment runs out, they don't let anyone else on the bus. This is why there was such an epic queue in London.

Boourns
05-10-2010, 03:13 AM
It was hard to pass up Kings of Leon and even harder to skip Jack Johnson, but I just bought my ticket for Broken Social Scene in London on the 30th.

Boourns
05-10-2010, 03:35 AM
London has pretty damn good public transport, but if you are staying centrally then you'll probably be able to walk back to your hostel after the show.

This place in Russel Square has rooms for under £10 if you don't mind sharing a big dorm. It's also very central (and about a 30 min walk from the venue).

http://www.hostelworld.com/availability.php/Smart-Russell-Square/London/29412

I doubt I'm going to the show, but I just booked a bed here. 24 people is massive for one room but the price is right. Should be interesting.

Boourns
05-10-2010, 04:40 AM
The chems did a secret set in 2004 after hours in the glade (in addition to a non-secret one on the other) if that counts for anything.

sbessiso
05-10-2010, 12:28 PM
I doubt I'm going to the show, but I just booked a bed here. 24 people is massive for one room but the price is right. Should be interesting.

Did you read those reviews? scary...

Boourns
05-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Oh, I've stayed in hostels with reviews as bad as that. It's fine.

Boourns
05-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Map has been updated:
http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/data/image/Fineguide-10-map-may-update.jpg

So I guess latenight now consists of Arcadia, The Common, Block 9, Shangri-la, The Unfair Ground. Seems some things from Trash City will be incorporated into these new areas. Can't wait to check them all out.

chiapet
05-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Does that impact where we'd like to camp?

Boourns
05-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Not really, except they finally labeled Holts as such.

rideincircles
05-10-2010, 05:50 PM
I would be all over the BSS show if I wasnt leaving for Barcelona that day. Not much I can do now. Nothing new yet this week in my trip booking. Need to get a hostel in Barcelona. My other option is getting a hotel with a $50 off $300 coupon on expedia in Barcelona. I am leaning towards the hostel, my only worry is security on my stuff.

I will have my $600 canon camera, iphone, netbook, pocket canon camera, batteries memory cards and personal stuff. I dont know how good security and lockers are at hostels since I have never been to one. That and 20% unemployment makes me worry a little. Not sure if I need to. I got a hotel in London so I can get organized after the festival. I will still have to check my glasto supplies bag at the coach station for the rest of my trip, unless i can leave it with someone in London (no clue who).

Still havent decided on stopping in Nice from Barcelona on the train ride to Cinque Terre, I would arrive around 6pm and have to leave by 2pm or earlier the next day. Its mainly just to break up an 18+ hour train ride, still havent ironed that out yet. My room in Cinque Terre is booked for 3 nights already. Paris is next after that for a day or so.

chiapet
05-10-2010, 06:18 PM
When you look at hostels, their websites may explain what kind of locker/left luggage they have -- if not, you could try emailing or calling. Hostels will surely have someone on staff that reads and speaks English.

Many will have lockers where you bring your own lock (so remember to check this and bring one). That should be very safe. You may also want to lock up your luggage in general (or use a bicycle chain to attach your suitcase to a bed or something), property theft is pretty common in Barcelona. Each of the hotels I stayed in were very persistent in asking guests to use the room safe even when they were sleeping -- saying they would not take responsibility for thefts from the rooms.

Boourns
05-10-2010, 06:29 PM
I stayed at one hostel in new York that did not have lockers...just tiny ones behind the counter for jewelry and such.

ShyGuy75
05-10-2010, 06:59 PM
so, um, yeah...

can we discuss the lineup yet or are we still on train schedules?

hal, anything you want to recommend that we may not be aware of? i know there was some negative knee jerk reaction to the john peel tent, but that usually produces two or three bands that i wasn't familiar with before.

going to attempt to find time to sit down and research the entire lineup thoroughly this weekend.

rideincircles
05-10-2010, 07:59 PM
I will try and bring a lock and a bikelock, it was something I already considered.

To the lineup.

http://www.clashfindergeneral.co.uk/s/g2010/

So much to do, Im clueless.

Thursday Local Natives probably and exploration.

Friday at Glastonbury?????? Anywhere is good.

I still think in terms of Bonnaroo and probably need to throw that away and start over.

Would like to see Willie since he's from Fort Worth & it's Willie, but leaning towards Phoenix. Snoop will be bumping, but Kele and Chali 2na are up (I missed Chali's late night Roo set 4 Kanye's fiasco, need to make that 1 up.) Haven't heard Kele's new stuff.
I am debating on staying by the pyramid for the rest of the evening, Or Vampire Weekend to Hot Chip to U2 to the nearest dance party available.

Worst conflicts of the fest Friday night. Possibly ever in one night. Still tons more bands to consider & who knows what route to take.

Saturday is easier.
Wander around for a while then Beach House to The National to Holy Fuck to ??? Dance Village maybe to Muse. Oh yeah Dead Weather.

Sunday

Frightened Rabbit if I'm up & out, Norah Jones, need to listen to Hold steady not sure, Holy Fuck or Grizzly Bear probably to MGMT, BSS Faithless & LCD is a tossup. Crystal Castles maybe to Orbital (Zoie likes EOTS). Stevie is uncertain.

That's highly theoretical & I need to put Pandora to work over the next month checking out bands I haven't heard of.

sonofhal
05-10-2010, 11:31 PM
I'll get ATP and Primavera out of the way before getting my teeth into the Glastonbury lineup. It's quite an uninspiring lineup of safe artists.

Boourns
05-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Last year's lineup was easily better.

rideincircles
05-11-2010, 08:16 AM
It would be much more awesome if they just add the chemical brothers.

chiapet
05-11-2010, 08:25 AM
I am not about to complain about the lineup when there is already far more than would be possible to see each day. Perhaps it's best that the lineup does not completely blow me away, as I'd just suffer from angst over the things I will not see!

Tupper
05-11-2010, 09:20 AM
My main complaint is 4 of my top 6 are conflicting Fri night. Mathew Herbert is gonna be outstanding.
Bush is tight.

sbessiso
05-11-2010, 11:38 AM
If theres any festival for me to not bother doing research its this one. I have my couple must-sees and the rest will just go with the flow :)

Boourns
05-11-2010, 12:59 PM
I am not about to complain about the lineup when there is already far more than would be possible to see each day. Perhaps it's best that the lineup does not completely blow me away, as I'd just suffer from angst over the things I will not see!

This is true...lots of conflicts and only so many hours in the day and way too many non-musical things to see and do. The thing is I've noticed that the acts on last year's to-see list were far more interesting than the ones on this year's to-see list overall...

Current plans (never stick to them completely, especially at Glasto):
Wednesday: set up camp, explore, watch the England vs Slovenia match with thousands of drunks in England (hate soccer and sports in general but this should be an interesting experience), explore the healing, arts, green fields, get sunrise at the stone circle out of the way

Thursday: whatever you kids want to see...I'd like to check out Boy George if not already in the Shangri-la (he's playing at 9, apparently), then party all night in Shangri-la, Arcadia, The Common, Block 9, The Unfair Ground, the silent discos at The Park and Dance Village, maybe stone circle again.

Friday: Willie Nelson, possibly some Phoenix if I'm not too tired, some Snoop Dogg, suffer through some La Roux to stake out a spot for Florence & the Machine, either Dizzee Rascal or the special guests on the Park (depends on if their identity leaks before then), U2, party all night

Saturday: sleep in, Imogen Heap, either The Dead Weather, either the special guests on the Park or Holy Fuck, then nothing until Muse, maybe Scissor Sisters to get a spot for Muse, then maybe leave Muse early to get a head start on latenight activities

Sunday: Grizzly Bear, Beak> (seeing them will mean having to leave Grizzly Bear very early since the Park is so far from everything, but when else am I ever going to see Beak>), MGMT, LCD, Stevie Wonder

It's a good lineup, certainly better than the other huge UK fests, just not as amazing as the hype or even last year's non-anniversary edition. More of the epic acts that played Coachella (AfP, Fever Ray, Jonsi, Charlotte, Little Dragon, She & Him, etc) and some more acts that us Americans don't have the option of seeing at home (anything of interest besides Beak>?) would have been nice. Arcade Fire or Pixies or Pavement, too, of course, but I wouldn't hold their absence against Glasto. I know it's all about the money for Pavement and the Pixies reunions, money that Glasto doesn't have to spend. But apparently it's not about the money for AF, it's about how a little bit of rain and a few minor tech issues gave them no choice but to play the corporate, rapey chav fests.

chiapet
05-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Okay I haven't really looked at the lineup THAT much, nor researched any for the UK/European bands I didn't already know. However, bleh:

Thursday: Boy George, Joy Orbison, Local Natives, ?

Friday: U2, maybe Courteneers -> Phoenix -> La Roux -> Florence -> Hot Chip ? , I'd like to catch some of aeroplane -> chromeo -> rusko -> fake blood though... and what about the orb? or spooky? or or or ..
(Friday is a great example of how this lineup does not suck. I have NO idea what I'll end up seeing. There are around 25 acts I'd really like to see. And only a few stages that don't interest me at all).

Saturday: Scissor Sisters, Pet Shop Boys, Blood Red Shoes, The Orb (this one is live, too, isn't it?), ???

Sunday: Orbital, Faithless, Frightened Rabbit, Jaguar Skills, Four Tet, ???

There are a bunch of other things I want to see on Saturday & Sunday, but I'm betting I will get less motivated about running from stage to stage, plus I can't really think about it too much until I have a schedule in hand.

paulo999
05-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Saturday: Arrive
Wednesday: Meet you lot.
Monday: Work out what the hell happened to Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. ;)

chiapet
05-11-2010, 02:44 PM
I forgot that Wednesday realistically is going to go something like:
Arrive, set up tent, (given our luck, the heavens open and we get rained on heavily), find cider bus, ... [ ??? ] .. "Wasn't Boy George playing somewhere?"

Boourns
05-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Mmmm cider.

shakermaker113
05-11-2010, 09:03 PM
rolf harris added to friday!

sonofhal
05-12-2010, 01:03 AM
i would think that one who complains about a festival in which there are over 50 stages with over 300 acts playing either has to be a) very miserable b) very jaded or c) very lazy

for me, last years lineup was a complete snore fest outside of blur and the prodigy, whom ended up playing against each other. as chia mentioned, there is already too much one could see each day on this years lineup. its not glasto's fault that we have already seen most of it.

When attempting to make a point, don't then go and undermine it in the same post.

And, yes - it is Glasto's fault that we have already seen most of it. The big talk and promises about the 40 year lineup was what persuaded me to buy a ticket.

ShyGuy75
05-12-2010, 06:03 AM
festival ≠ lineup, yet i did word that horribly.

i agree with the 40 year hype issue, although i feel they think getting U2 justifies the lineup hype, which it does for some people.

chems left a nice gap of hope in their new tour schedule:

06/19 – Barcelona, ES @ Sonar Festival
07/09 – Balaton, HU @ Balaton Sound Festival
07/11 – Novi Sad, SB @ Exit Festival
08/20 – Krakow, PL @ Coke Live Festival
08/28 – Oakland, CA @ Fox Theatre
08/29 – Los Angeles, CA @ Hollywood Bowl #
08/31 – Seattle, WA @ Showbox
09/01 – Vancouver, BC @ Malkin Park
09/03 – Chicago, IL @ Union Park
09/04 – New York, NY @ Electric Zoo

chiapet
05-12-2010, 02:40 PM
I have to admit that there are a lot of big names on the lineup this year, as well as reasonable mid-tier acts.... it just happens to be that we've already seen so many of them. I guess I'd been hoping to have less US bands and less-well-toured UK and European ones?

sbessiso
05-12-2010, 03:46 PM
I think i've forgotten/stopped caring about who else is playing during this...

luwp5iZD8wQ

ShyGuy75
05-12-2010, 04:19 PM
that fits right in the middle of the mother of all conflicts taking place friday evening:

- snoop into vampire weekend into some douche into u2. the advantage to this one is obviously snoop and getting a spot for u2

or

phoenix into laroux into florence and the machine into hot chip into flaming lips

or

black keys into groove armada live closing out a tent

or

mos def closing out the jazz world stage

or

the local natives into the big pink into 'special guest' into broken bells into the xx to close out the park stage.

or

fat boy slim closing out a dance ten

or

sasha closing out a small tent

if it were not for U2, the park stage would be a dream setup for me friday. something i couldn't have imagined would script out the way it is. i wouldn't have to move from 5:30 to the end, and then walk a short distance to the stone circle. fcking bono.

sbessiso
05-12-2010, 04:33 PM
that fits right in the middle of the mother of all conflicts taking place friday evening:

- snoop into vampire weekend into some douche into u2. the advantage to this one is obviously snoop and getting a spot for u2

or

phoenix into laroux into florence and the machine into hot chip into flaming lips

or

black keys into groove armada live closing out a tent

or

mos def closing out the jazz world stage

or

the local natives into the big pink into 'special guest' into broken bells into the xx to close out the park stage.

or

fat boy slim closing out a dance ten

or

sasha closing out a small tent

if it were not for U2, the park stage would be a dream setup for me friday. something i couldn't have imagined would script out the way it is. i wouldn't have to move from 5:30 to the end, and then walk a short distance to the stone circle. fcking bono.

FUCK

i just bolded everything i wanna see

rage patton
05-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Just looked at the Clashfinder and my first exposure to the line up... Is the clashfinder usually very accurate? There would be some odd conflicts there if so.

Boourns
05-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Just looked at the Clashfinder and my first exposure to the line up... Is the clashfinder usually very accurate? There would be some odd conflicts there if so.

I know it was last year. The order of billing on the poster is the order of playing, so it's just a matter of plugging everyone into the appropriate timeslot.

I might have to duck out of a headliner early in order to get to Arcadia by midnight because I really want to see a fire show this time around.

Boourns
05-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I have to admit that there are a lot of big names on the lineup this year, as well as reasonable mid-tier acts.... it just happens to be that we've already seen so many of them. I guess I'd been hoping to have less US bands and less-well-toured UK and European ones?

I know what you mean, but I don't even care anymore, I just want the next six weeks to pass, already. I should actually start crossing bands off my list since I want to spend more time doing other things this time around, and Glasto is the ultimate place for that.

FUCK

i just bolded everything i wanna see

I just noticed The Black Keys vs Broken Bells...bummer, man. So are you going to the Broken Bells show in London before Glasto, then?

sbessiso
05-12-2010, 05:00 PM
yeah! didnt you see in the upcoming shows thread? i already bought my broken bells ticket! gunna be soo much better at their own show then a fest i think.

what is this clashfinder rage speaks of?

chiapet
05-12-2010, 05:04 PM
http://www.clashfindergeneral.co.uk/s/g2010/

chiapet
05-12-2010, 05:04 PM
I feel unable to concentrate on Glastonbury until I plan the rest of my trip or at least book a damned flight. :)

sbessiso
05-12-2010, 05:09 PM
I just noticed Norah Jones is playing early on Sunday. Yup, im going to have to catch some of that (believe it or not, I do like her)

chiapet
05-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Cubehenge is not on the clash finder. I started to wonder why i couldn't find the Orb.

Boourns
05-12-2010, 05:30 PM
yeah! didnt you see in the upcoming shows thread? i already bought my broken bells ticket! gunna be soo much better at their own show then a fest i think.

what is this clashfinder rage speaks of?

Nice. If you make it to the Peel during the end of the act before The Black Keys, you should be able to get a very good spot up front, if not rail. Rail for Groove Armada is a definite if you stick around.

sbessiso
05-12-2010, 05:31 PM
i literally started quivering and gasped at the very thought of being rail for the black keys

Boourns
05-12-2010, 05:40 PM
I just realized that I most likely won't make into the Peel tent at all this year.

emtgreg
05-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Sasha.

shakermaker113
05-12-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm caught between sasha and the orb, given that the orb announced their friday set will be a greatest hits set.

Boourns
05-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Grey

rideincircles
05-12-2010, 09:38 PM
A definite Friday skip is Mos Def. I have seen him twice and he is boring on a big stage. There are much better choices. 6 weeks to go.

I think I need to get a watch also, or I could wander around with no idea what time it is other than what bands are playing.

Boourns
05-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Interesting. I always wondered how he was live. But yeah, I'll be at U2. Hopefully I'll finally get to see the Flaming Lips sometime soon, though.

For all of us staying the night before in town, I can't wait to see how you all react when the bus takes us to the site because once you see it from the road, that's when you get overwhelmed with how big it really is. I was freaking out (in a good way) over it. All the aerial photos in the world can't do it justice.

sonofhal
05-12-2010, 11:21 PM
I'd pick The Flaming Lips over U2 live, especially if you've never seen The Flaming Lips before.

Unless you're a really big U2 fan, you probably won't think that much of them live.

Boourns
05-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Well, I really love The Joshua Tree.

sonofhal
05-12-2010, 11:46 PM
My group are now also doing a B&B on Tue night. We'll be in Shepton Mallett and only 2 miles from the site. Should make wed a lot easier.

sbessiso
05-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Grey

ohhhh i just got this. hahahah Ed messed it up

chiapet
05-13-2010, 06:17 AM
I'll probably check out U2, just because I've never seen them and I've seen the flips a couple of times. It seems wrong to go all the way to glasto and not see U2?

ShyGuy75
05-13-2010, 06:24 AM
I'll probably check out U2, just because I've never seen them and I've seen the flips a couple of times. It seems wrong to go all the way to glasto and not see U2?

exactly how i feel. the crowd will be electric.

shakermaker113
05-13-2010, 06:27 AM
It seems wrong to go all the way to glasto and not see U2?

am I the only person who isn't interested in u2?

ShyGuy75
05-13-2010, 06:33 AM
surrender, shaker, and drink bono's magic juice

shakermaker113
05-13-2010, 06:52 AM
ugh.

sonofhal
05-13-2010, 07:03 AM
am I the only person who isn't interested in u2?

You are certainly not alone. Bored me to tears when I saw them. Not worth losing brain cells listening to the new stuff in the hope of them playing the odd classic.

They did Vertigo as an enocore when I saw them, even though they'd already played it in the main set. Obviously didn't have much back cat to choose from.

chiapet
05-13-2010, 07:18 AM
I'm sure you're not the only persons not interested in U2. I'm not sure I'll end up watching much of their set, but I feel like I have to give it a try. I really liked U2 through Achtung, Baby. In fact that and Joshua Tree are albums I still really enjoy listening to. Just haven't liked much that they've done in the last 15+ years. :)

So you think they'll play almost no old songs, chris?

Tupper
05-13-2010, 07:22 AM
I'm not interested in U2.

ShyGuy75
05-13-2010, 07:27 AM
they play a ton of old material.

a set from last tour

1 Breathe
2 No Line on the Horizon
3 Get On Your Boots
4 Magnificent
5 Beautiful Day/Blackbird (Beatles snippet)
6 Elevation
7 I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
8 Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of
9 Unknown Caller
10 The Unforgettable Fire
11 City Of Blinding Lights
12 Vertigo
13 I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight
14 Sunday Bloody Sunday
15 Pride (In The Name Of Love)
16 MLK
17 Walk On
18 Where The Streets Have No Name

Encore
19 One
20 Bad

Second encore
21 Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
22 With Or Without You
23 Moment of Surrender

chiapet
05-13-2010, 07:30 AM
See, that set list looks so-so to me. I'd probably stay to the end waiting to hear more songs I like, and then might regret spending so long watching them. Obviously I only mean this in the context of the clusterfuck that is Glasto Friday night.

emtgreg
05-13-2010, 08:36 AM
So remind me, where are we planning on camping again?

Also, SMD into Sasha (or The Orb, but probably Sasha)

sbessiso
05-13-2010, 10:59 AM
See, that set list looks so-so to me. I'd probably stay to the end waiting to hear more songs I like, and then might regret spending so long watching them. Obviously I only mean this in the context of the clusterfuck that is Glasto Friday night.

im going to check them out for the same reasons you mentioned but i dont think i need the full set. Joshua Tree is the album I love, the rest is whatever.

paulo999
05-13-2010, 03:21 PM
exactly how i feel. the crowd will be electric.

That's what I reckon too.

Boourns
05-14-2010, 12:11 AM
So remind me, where are we planning on camping again?

Also, SMD into Sasha (or The Orb, but probably Sasha)

Holts.

Is anyone else worried about the volcano?

Boourns
05-14-2010, 03:32 AM
So is everyone down with checking out some of the England vs Slovenia match on the Pyramid on Wednesday?

Has everyone that wants to shower figured out where they all are? I know there are some eco-friendly ones in Greenpeace. I'll be camping with you all and not in hospitality camping, but I will try to make it in there a couple times for a shower. The area looks pretty far away, so probably not every day. Of course, it it rains all weekend...

shakermaker113
05-14-2010, 07:24 AM
So is everyone down with checking out some of the England vs Slovenia match on the Pyramid on Wednesday?

oh that would be fun. do we know what time it happens?

chiapet
05-14-2010, 10:16 AM
If there is anyone reading along who wished they had gotten tickets (and was registered), the final resale for the returned tickets happens on Sunday:

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/news/limited-re-sale-of-tickets-on-sunday

I plan on watching at least some of the game, I don't know much about soccer, but it seems like it would be fun. (I will require a lot of cider for this).

Boourns, I have no perception of where the showers are. I would like to be able to take a shower sometime during the weekend. I was thinking I could probably sacrifice some time on Saturday since there isn't that much I need to see.

Greg, yes, I'm worried about the volcano... but I still have not purchased my flights, so I am more concerned with my procrastination about the volcano than the actual volcano, at this point. :D

sbessiso
05-14-2010, 10:35 AM
im pretty positive I can find something better to do than watch sports :D

Boourns
05-14-2010, 11:11 AM
That's how I feel every day of the year. However, this the world cup which is a much bigger deal to them than the super bowl is to us. It only comes once every 4 years and watching England vs Slovenia in England in a place known for crazy crowds should be an interesting and unique experience.

Well, my question is how many people will be through the gates and set up (assuming everyone does that first) by wednesday afternoon for it? I know over 90000 people were there by the end of Wednesday last year.

chiapet
05-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Salah, I was assuming it would be more about checking out all the cute English boys and drinking a lot. ;)

sbessiso
05-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Salah, I was assuming it would be more about checking out all the cute English boys and drinking a lot. ;)

Youre absolutely right but there will be acres and acres of more cute boys and cider than you can shake a stick at. i recognize that futball is massive over there and ill make sure not speak any ill of it unless i want a pounding (not the good kind), but hell no. surely i will find refuge with others haters, those are the ppl i wanna dance with anyway ;)

emtgreg
05-14-2010, 11:24 AM
I'll go with the flow.

shakermaker113
05-14-2010, 05:10 PM
That's how I feel every day of the year. However, this the world cup which is a much bigger deal to them than the super bowl is to us. It only comes once every 4 years and watching England vs Slovenia in England in a place known for crazy crowds should be an interesting and unique experience.

exactly.

also, it's not like music starts on wednesday.

sbessiso
05-14-2010, 06:24 PM
when do we get tickets? I dont even remember what picture I used lol

Boourns
05-14-2010, 07:22 PM
I emailed and asked what the procedure is for foreigners this year. If they are despatched 5-7 days before the fest, we wouldn't get them in time.

sbessiso
05-14-2010, 09:01 PM
ooh good call! thanks dude

emtgreg
05-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Fantastic call.

rideincircles
05-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Based on the map, if I take the coach from London to Glasto what entrance will I go through?

Boourns
05-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Upper left entrance, the one by the festival bus station.

Boourns
05-15-2010, 02:01 AM
There's another intersting place that I missed last time that I need to find this time around: The Rabbit Hole in the Park.

Boourns
05-15-2010, 02:46 AM
Has anyone ever flown Virgin Atlantic? Is it worth an extra $87 compared to Delta?

shakermaker113
05-15-2010, 08:22 AM
virgin atlantic used to be the shit, but I haven't flown with them in many years so I don't know how they compare these days.

chiapet
05-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Really? I think I've flown Virgin Atlantic once and don't remember it being bad -- i'd assume it would be better than Delta for int'l flights. I prefer BA or (not for direct to London, KLM).

shakermaker113
05-15-2010, 10:36 AM
the shit. not shit.

chiapet
05-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Yea, I really have a reading comprehension problem lately, don't i?

shakermaker113
05-15-2010, 11:17 AM
eh. it is a dumb phrase anyway.

chiapet
05-15-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm getting aggravated trying to book flights because the open jaw ones are really expensive. Thinking of booking round trip from London and then just flying back to LHR from wherever I am at that time (which I've not figured out yet). It seems risky though, if I had a delay on the earlier flight...

shakermaker113
05-15-2010, 12:15 PM
yeah you have to allow lots of time. especially if you have to pick up your backs, re-check them, and go through security again.

sbessiso
05-15-2010, 01:55 PM
ive got Virgin, ive been told by many different ppl that its pretty great. ill let you guys know :)

chiapet
05-15-2010, 02:22 PM
I just booked a national express from Glasto to Bristol for Monday at 10am. Train doesn't leave until 2:30 but I figured I better book an early one in case there are any delays. Now just have to book a hostel for the Monday before Glasto. And get my plane ticket...

Any idea which one is closest to the train depot? The National Express site lists Queens Road, Stoke Bishop Campus and Airport. There's also one that's just "Bristol". Is that the one that you picked? None of them look very close on the map (Queens Road looks to be like 2 mi away?)

Boourns
05-15-2010, 03:30 PM
I just booked the one that says "Bristol" and hopefully it is close. Good thing i booked an early coach, just in case.

chiapet
05-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Cool, Salah and I will be on the same bus + train as you. Figure the 2:30 one leaves plenty of time to get lunch and find the train station.. :)