PDA

View Full Version : Weezer Reunion Pinkerton

faxman75
08-17-2009, 03:07 PM
This would have to be done right. Pat would have to go back to drums and Matt would have to agree to do a one off. Otherwise it's mostly pointless.

I know some of you are happy with what Weezer does these days but i'm not. They are damn near without soul on stage and full of pop cheese these days.

Here is a little sample of what we could all witness if Weezer wanted to grace us with what made them great.

yFWMXDh9lDg

LQepXFRfQzw

I dare you to find something recent where they have this power and stage presence. A Weezer reunion to do the Pinkerton album would be full of WIN!

Fuck it. I would even take the Blue album if they insisted because that fucker Rivers doesn't want to play Pinkerton songs outside of El Scorcho or maybe one other track.

rskapcat
08-17-2009, 03:10 PM
My name is Becca, and I support this thread.

rage patton
08-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Wait... Pat isn't on drums anymore? What happened?

Boourns
08-17-2009, 03:12 PM
I approve.

faxman75
08-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Wait... Pat isn't on drums anymore? What happened?

He plays guitar now.

I don't want to ruin this thread with new weezer but I guess It would make a point. They have also been covering MGMT's Kids of late. For fucks sake. :nono

Pretty shaky vid but Pat is in the blue shirt. I mean, I want to be happy they are playing songs like "the good life" but to me Rivers looks lifeless and lacks passion. Just I dunno generic to me.

hYcQci7LorY

Even the old school videos were better.

8MaHFUE_eT8

I'll trade kermit the fucking frog for Matt Sharp any day. :)

I just smiled so much watching that video. Weezer used to make me smile a lot but now they make me a sad panda.

rage patton
08-17-2009, 03:37 PM
So wait... Weezer has 3 guitarists now? Or does Pat just play guitar sometimes? Who plays drums while he is on guitar?

higgybaby23
08-17-2009, 03:50 PM
When I saw Weezer in Las Vegas a few years ago, I was shocked by their lack of enthusiasm. It actually seemed as if they really didn't want to be on stage. Luckily it was a free show to celebrate the 100th birthday of LV, with the Chili Peppers headlining. The best part of that night was the fireworks show.(and the free tix)

faxman75
08-17-2009, 04:11 PM
So wait... Weezer has 3 guitarists now? Or does Pat just play guitar sometimes? Who plays drums while he is on guitar?

Get ready for this. Josh Freese. I believe this is a full time gig for the current tour at least they want Pat playing more and more guitar and Josh taking over drumming duties. I haven't researched a lot so I don't know the full story but the new footage I see all shows Pat on guitar and Josh drumming.

edit.

I do like Josh and he's not the problem with Weezer.

rage patton
08-17-2009, 04:23 PM
What the fuck? This is just fucked up. Weezer do not need 3 guitars. Or even if they do it like that The Good Life video, where Pat relieves Rivers from guitar duties, they do not need too! If Rivers isn't going to have a guitar in his hands, I want him to go nuts on stage. Not just stand there or pace around and sing. At least when he had a guitar in his hands he had a reason to stand still.

faxman75
08-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Exactly. Not just that though. It is also being reported that the new album will feature only Rivers on lead vocals which hasn't been the case in the past. Also, each band member is writing, so it's a bit of writing from the entire band rather than just Rivers.

More news from Wiki as I haven't been following the band since Make Believe

On August 12, 2009 the band confirmed on their official website that their seventh album will be released on October 27, 2009. The album's first single, entitled, "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To", will be released on August 25, 2009.[14]

On August 16th, 2009 "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To" was leaked onto the internet. The source of the leak was Walmart.com who posted the single up for purchase 9 days before the official release date. It can be streamed here

faxman75
08-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Or even if they do it like that The Good Life video, where Pat relieves Rivers from guitar duties, they do not need too!

It's looking like Pat is taking over guitar duties full time at this point and that Rivers has put down the guitar, at least so far. They are scheduled to play V fest.

I wonder if that means Josh Freese will sit in on some NIN. I'm guessing not but you never know.

faxman75
08-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Becca, did you ever dig on That Dog?

I loved the song "grunge couple"

_WJ-rUr4K2s

They toured with Beck and Weezer back in the day.

Weezer loved Chicago at the time. I saw them play Chicago 5 times after the Blue album came out and before Pinkerton was released. The first time was a headlining gig at Metro, then they also toured with the band Live. I saw them at a radio station fest Q101 Twisted Christmas with Hole and tons of other great bands as well. I remember saying after the very first time I saw them to my friend "these guys want to be arena rock bad".

rage patton
08-17-2009, 04:42 PM
I remember reading an interview with Pat a while ago. He was talking about his other band (the name of which escapes me right now) and how he said he prefers being on the front of the stage rather than the back. I guess having his own band wasn't good enough for him so he felt like he needed to play guitar for Weezer. Hmmm... I wonder what Bryan Bell thinks of all this.

Also, another new Weezer album? Ugh.

faxman75
08-17-2009, 04:48 PM
How about another new Rentals album!?! I have always casually listened to the Rentals but I have finally put them in heavy rotation. Return of the Rentals and 7 more minutes are probably both better than any post Pinkerton Weezer albums.

Something else that drives me crazy. Rivers and Matt Sharpe apparently had 15-16 new songs for an album in 2004 but they apprently started to not get along again and never completed the project. :nono I blame Rivers for all of this nonsense by the way.

Blinken
08-17-2009, 05:17 PM
When I saw them at the weenie roast this year, Rivers was energetic and happy to be performing. Musically they were great and alot of fun. I did enjoy the kids/poker face cover, it seemed to really get rivers pumped up and he was having a blast with it. I guess I got to see them on a good day.

faxman75
08-17-2009, 05:37 PM
It's possible you like the new Weezer. I mean, some people do. I still remember the empty feeling I had in my stomach after seeing their Coachella 2005 set though. I saw them again with the Foo Fighters later that year and it was a little better but still nothing compared to the real Weezer. I'm firmly in the Matt Sharpe camp at this point and most of the world probably could care less either way.

Blinken
08-17-2009, 05:55 PM
No I like the old Weezer, I just never saw them back in the day.

rskapcat
08-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Mark, I am 100% in the Matt Sharp camp. 7 More Minutes is one of the few records I can listen to front to back.

When I saw them on the Pinkerton tour, Ash opened for them, I believe.

And "Grunge Couple" is a great song...wasn't that on DGC Rarities, Vol 1?

faxman75
08-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Mark, I am 100% in the Matt Sharp camp. 7 More Minutes is one of the few records I can listen to front to back.

When I saw them on the Pinkerton tour, Ash opened for them, I believe.

And "Grunge Couple" is a great song...wasn't that on DGC Rarities, Vol 1?

It was. I had that on cassette. Pretty great track listing. I will have to hunt for it on torrent.

1. Teenage Fanclub, "Mad Dog 20/20" (2:40)
2. Nirvana, "Pay to Play" (3:28)
3. Weezer, "Jamie" (4:19)
4. Cell, "Never Too High" (5:19)
5. Hole, "Beautiful Son" (2:28)
6. Beck, "Bogusflow" (3:11)
8J3qrqEp250
7. Sonic Youth, "Compilation Blues" (3:00)
8. that dog., "Grunge Couple" (3:53)
9. Counting Crows, "Einstein on the Beach (For an Eggman)" (3:53)
10. The Posies, "Open Every Window" (3:14)
11. Sloan, "Stove/Smother" (4:44)
12. St. Johnny, "Wild Goose Chasing" (3:01)
13. Murray Attaway, "Allegory" (4:32)
14. The Sundays, "Don't Tell Your Mother" (2:36)

I forgot how great that Beck song was.

superfiction
08-17-2009, 09:21 PM
holy hell the new weezer is fucking terrible

JebusLives
08-18-2009, 06:54 AM
It's possible you like the new Weezer. I mean, some people do. I still remember the empty feeling I had in my stomach after seeing their Coachella 2005 set though. I saw them again with the Foo Fighters later that year and it was a little better but still nothing compared to the real Weezer. I'm firmly in the Matt Sharpe camp at this point and most of the world probably could care less either way.

I'm in the "could care less either way" camp (just not a power pop fan) but man, they were bad in 2005 and just as bad in 2001.

faxman75
08-18-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm in the "could care less either way" camp (just not a power pop fan) but man, they were bad in 2005 and just as bad in 2001.

Well of course. Matt left the band in 1998. Rivers went into some depression and painted all his walls black. Rivers remained experimental and at one point decided to open up his demos to fans to give constructive criticism. He then lashed out at them saying they didn't help and ultimately only the song Slob on Maladroit came of the experiment with the fans. Slob is actually a good song and probably the best post Matt Sharpe song.

When Weezer ended their hiatus in 2000 they recorded and played a bunch around L.A. under a different band name and that's where the demos came from they let the fans give constructive critcism too but something happened with Rivers and Pat and Pat left back to Portland, before returning yet again when they were offered a huge paycheck to play Fuji Rocks.

Anyway, here is Slob. The last of any interesting Weezer works.

52_XiKxZ1K4

paganman7
08-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Josh Freese is a fantastically talented drummer. I think the real problem is that Weezer sucks.

They filled an important gap in music in the early '90s, but their time has passed.

faxman75
08-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Josh Freese is a fantastically talented drummer.

No one is saying otherwise.

They filled an important gap in music in the early '90s, but their time has passed.

Their time apparently hasn't passed. Weezer has more fans, acclaim and chart hitting songs now than they did when they were great. They are a current success. Check out how well songs like Pork n' Beans and Beverly Hills have done and it doesn't take much to understand why Rivers is ok with this direction. The money is made with pop singles and catchy hooks.

paganman7
08-18-2009, 08:58 AM
I guess what I'm trying to say is: I don't like Weezer.

PassiveTheory
08-18-2009, 09:07 AM
It's about time that someone take Rivers Cuomo behind the barn and put the ol' boy down.

faxman75
08-18-2009, 09:27 AM
I guess what I'm trying to say is: I don't like Weezer.

Right, so this thread wouldn't be for you. This thread is for people who used to love what Weezer did. So much so they think Pinkerton was probably one of the best albums of the mid 90's. It can hang out and be comfortable at the top of 1996 lists with Tool-Aenema, Fugees-The Score and Beck-Odelay. It's a timeless classic that doesn't have a bad song on it.

gweilo
08-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Weezer were pretty enthusiastic at Fuji this year and the crowd loved them. It helps that Cuomo speaks a bit of Japanese.

But they played a couple of new songs -- something about partying, and something else that obviously wasn't that memorable -- and I really didn't care for them at all. The new arrangement was a bit odd for me too. I prefer Cuomo with a guitar, for one.

I actually liked the green album, just because I thought it was a lark. But if you had told me that was the way they were going for the next eight or more years, I'd have been sad. The last time I saw them live prior to this summer was in Taipei in '98, and they were a blast. At Fuji this year they were fun, but it just wasn't the same thing. In that respect, them having been around for 15 years and just not having that youthful intensity but rather relying on gimmicks and hooks these days, I'd agree they're past it.

faxman75
08-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks for sharing your input gweilo. Are you an American living in Hong Kong? Have you been to Coachella?

RedThom
08-19-2009, 02:24 AM
If Weezer were to do this pinkerton reunion right, Rivers would have to actually sing instead of just moaning in tune for an evening.

gweilo
08-20-2009, 10:07 AM
faxman: Yup. I haven't been to Coachella -- I came across this board looking for info about this year's Fuji lineup. Fuji's pretty much my "local" festival despite the four-hour flight time. Actually, it's about a 10-hour trip when you take into account trains and buses....

faxman75
08-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Very cool. Stick around and post in the fuji rock thread and bs about music in the music lounge. Maybe you might make it to Coachella some day. I would like to go to Fuji Rock but the logistics of getting there and cost is gonna require lots of planning. Welcome.

sbessiso
09-11-2009, 02:23 PM
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/090911/weezer-raditude_l.jpg

Cdubby
09-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Saw Weezer this past Sunday at the Shoreline. Best show I saw all weekend. They didnt phone it in, Rivers was all over the stage, good crowd interaction. Got a lot of songs I wasnt expecting to hear (Blue Album songs). Surf Wax America, Undone- The Sweater Song, My Name is Jonas, Buddy Holly, Say It Ain't So. Even loved singing along to Island in the Sun with the rest of the crowd.

I would really enjoy seeing Weezer show up on the next Coachella lineup.

BlackSwan
09-16-2009, 10:27 PM
I have to second Cdub. I went in really hoping Weezer would be good, and they were even better than I hoped. I want to see a full show next time so hopefully they come back with a headlining tour soon.

BillyCrystal
09-16-2009, 10:39 PM
As long as we're wishing for Weezer to do stuff they'll never do, why not hope for a set where they play Pinkerton and Blue Album, both in their entirity? Thos albums are short enough that they could fit it into a sub-headliner spot.

rage patton
09-17-2009, 12:18 AM
Surf Wax America

WOH! Fuck yes!

theripped
09-18-2009, 01:24 AM
I saw them two times, on the Make Believe tour they looked like they were going through the motions, but on The Red Album tour they were really into it. I guess it depends on what mood Rivers is in. They would be a good fit though.

corrupt619
09-18-2009, 01:48 AM
How about a Goat Punishment reunion, since Rivers hates the Pinkerton album.

brycerosen
09-20-2009, 04:05 PM
if weezer were to play coachella this year i dont even know if I would see them, but if it were "performing pinkerton or blue" i would miss just about anyone to see it

faxman75
09-21-2009, 04:30 PM
See, so many of us have the same opinion. We share a love for the great Weezer not the current imposters running around making shitty pop records.

and as far as this goes..

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/090911/weezer-raditude_l.jpg

Fucking terrible. :nono The cover, the name, the picture, the music. All of it. Awful. Raditude? Are you fucking kidding me?

menikmati
09-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Weezer should kill themselves.

BlackSwan
09-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Then you'll just accuse Rivers Cuomo of trying to be like Kurt Cobain.

menikmati
09-21-2009, 04:57 PM
He's already tried that, and there are already conspiracies surrounding that. Unfortunately the site that use to document this conspiracy has gone the way of the dodo.

obzen
09-21-2009, 05:32 PM
I will say this-the guy is really smart and almost eccentric.

Cdubby
08-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Weezer planning a Pinkerton tour?

http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/weezer_planning_pinkerton_tour/

knytt
08-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Oh fuck yes.

rskapcat
08-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Call me when Matt Sharp participates.

menikmati
08-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Weezer was dead 10 years ago, give it a rest.

noolan
08-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Call me when Matt Sharp participates.
Thread.

knytt
08-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Just have The Rentals open and then have Sharp play with Weezer. It would be perfection.

brycerosen
08-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Weezer planning a Pinkerton tour?

http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/weezer_planning_pinkerton_tour/

can not miss this

knytt
09-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Folks, here are the first official dates of the Memories Tour, in which each city on the tour gets 2 nights of shows: a complete Blue Album set + greatest hits set, and a complete Pinkerton set + Greatest Hits set! Ticket info coming tomorrow! More dates to be announced!

November 26 & 27
Los Angeles, CA
Gibson Amphitheatre
American Express Early On Sale: Sat Sept 25 – Thurs Sept 30
Public On Sale: Fri Oct 1

November 29 & 30
San Francisco, CA
Nob Hill Masonic Center
American Express Early On Sale: Sat Sept 25 – Sat Oct 2
Public On Sale: Sun Oct 3

Yes.

Jordanp
09-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Weezer died after Pinkerton. Rivers writes the best Weezer album and it isnt accepted by the masses. Now we have this shitty pop weezer. pinkerton/blue tour would be cool.

jonesjupiter
09-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Poor Weezer...I was just thinking today of how I want, "I've gone crazy and going to harvard", Rivers back...but unfortunately we are left with this...at least they are gonna return to their roots on this tour but I'm sure they will force new stuff down everyones throats...I was embarrassed for the way he was parading around at bonnaroo, luckily I saw him during the pinkerton tour many years ago!

"Pop music is a young man's game" - Win Butler

Darth_Bater
09-22-2010, 05:44 PM
I will definitely be at the Pinkerton show!!!!

paulb
09-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Blue album, maybe both for me....if I get a job soon.

robotrock1382
09-22-2010, 07:27 PM
dude. yes.

knytt
09-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Looks like I'll be at least going to the Gibson, as much as it sucks. Gonna try and pull pit, anyone know how many tickets they usually release for pit?

paulb
09-22-2010, 08:49 PM
106 bucks....thats all i gotta say

ElBlueblazer
09-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Nice, weezer at a toppless beach club.

Live Like A Rock Star at The Mirage
October 1 - 3, 2010

A Special Performance by
Weezer

Friday, 10.01.10
Doors Open 7 p.m.
$100 plus tax & $7.50 Service Fee Bare Pool Lounge
Concert Begins 8 p.m.
Book Online

Poolside Recovery Party
Special DJ performance by KCRW
Music Director Jason Bentley

Saturday, 10.02.10
Noon - 3 p.m. Bare Pool Lounge
Bare Details

Rock Star Accommodations

Premium View Deluxe Room with 2:00 p.m. Rock Star late checkout.

Rates starting from $99 Thursday, 09.30.10 - Sunday, 10.03.10

paulb
09-23-2010, 09:01 PM
lol, damn.....

pachucasunrise
09-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Tickets for the LA dates start at around $30, fuck yes. Going both nights.

StubbADubb
09-23-2010, 09:31 PM
For what it's worth, I used to be a Weezer fan in the 90's. Just stopped listening, but never hated them or anything.

Recently I covered their concert at Bumbershoot (shameless plug: http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/09/09/seattle-im-listening-cos-at-bumbershoot-10/ ). I had heard from many people that Weezer were lifeless live and I really was expecting nothing... just expecting it to be better than Hole...

Anyway... funnest concert I had been to this year, and I've been to a lot. Maybe it was the crowd, maybe it was having to follow Hole, maybe it was a lot of things but Cuomo and crew looked like they were having the time of their lives.

Wish they played more from Maladroit, but I could not complain. It was awesome. Hope they keep it up.

condenser
10-20-2010, 01:30 AM
I would love either Pinkerton or Blue live! I can't afford to pay 90 bucks for one Weezer show, so this at Coachella would be incredible!

Bons222000
10-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Weezer is one band I would almost definitely skip at Coachella. Just not into them. I don't think they'd headline though.

Ride a Tire!
10-31-2010, 04:35 PM
"I was frustrated with the reception that our first album had received," Coumo explained of writing 'Pinkerton.' "What I was hearing was that people thought we were a jokey, shallow, corporate version of the Pixies. I wanted to be taken more seriously. I wrote the second album, 'Pinkerton,' very carefully trying to avoid anything that would've made it seem like a novelty act, which I assumed was happening on the first record."

http://www.spinner.com/2010/10/21/weezers-rivers-cuomo-pinkerton-diaries-book/

Article about book The Pinkerton Diaries. It's kind of sad that they ended up becoming the very novelty act "jokey, shallow" band that he was trying to avoid at that period. Even worse is that they couldn't even hide behind "corporate version of the Pixies," since the quality of their music is in decline, as well... but here's to hoping this book is a good read. Sounds interesting.