PDA

View Full Version : anyone know a lot about the law/victims of violent hate crime fund?

pocket
07-30-2009, 02:51 AM
sorry to use this for my personal gain but i have a question and really need help. last month while in Fresno for a figure skating competition I was walking back to my hotel (3 blocks away) when i heard someone yell hey, as i turned around a baseball bat hit me in the face as the guy scram fagot. There ended up being 3 guys that beat me until i was unconscious.

i woke up 6 hours later in the trama ward in the Fresno community hospital. I layed in my own pool of blood for around 2 hours before a cop stopped, thinking I was homeless and sleeping on the ground, and got out of his car to wake me up.

I ended up with a fractured skull, 3 broken ribs, a cracked sternum, a fractured jaw, 35 stitches around my left eye, 20 stitches to connect my lip that had split up to my nose, and a sever concussion. I also lost 40% of the vision in my left eye but just had lasik and can see a ton better now(theres pics on my flickr).

I have over 60k in medical bills and have applied for the victims of violent crimes fund and sent the paper work out over 3 weeks ago and really havent heard anything and when I call it really goes nowhere.

does anyone know anything about this fund or can give me any suggestions about what to do as i am already getting calls from the hosiptal people telling me to pay my bills.

fikus222
07-30-2009, 03:19 AM
Damn, I wondered where you had gone. I'm truly sorry for the bullsh!t that has been wrought upon you. Unfortunately, I can't offer any tangible help...well, good luck to you and take care.

pocket
07-30-2009, 04:12 AM
Damn, I wondered where you had gone. I'm truly sorry for the bullsh!t that has been wrought upon you. Unfortunately, I can't offer any tangible help...well, good luck to you and take care.

thank fikus i really appreciate it. i know someone on here most likely when its not the middle of the night might know something. i also have the joy of tons of scarring on my face so the doctors said im not supposed to go out in direct sunlight for the first 3 months cause it will make the scars worse so i kinda sleep all day and stay up at night, plus all the meds make it hard to sleep as well. ugh.

zenidogx
07-30-2009, 05:28 AM
That's some really fucked up stuff. I'm so sorry that happened. The central valley is still a pretty backwards place.

Unfortunatley, I can't direct you to any useful help either, but I do hope you have a speedy recovery.

marooko
07-30-2009, 08:04 AM
send them about $10 bucks a month so it doesnt go to collections. while dealing with an insurance problem, i was told they cant send it to collections as long as you're paying. all i got. sorry.

chairmenmeow47
07-30-2009, 08:26 AM
OMG THAT IS HORRIBLE!

i don't really have any suggestions, other than maybe reaching out to activist groups in your area for help with your bills?

that is just awful though and i am so sorry to hear that this happened to you. i hope your recovery goes well, both physically and emotionally.

Hannahrain
07-30-2009, 08:35 AM
That's absolutely fucking revolting, and I'm really sorry that it happened to you. I don't have any advice.

Suffacated
07-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Try here...
OK..looks like you already did. I'll leave this up anyways...

http://www.boc.ca.gov/default.aspx

Stories like this really piss me off and are the reason why I support and proudly participate in vigilante justice.

Please, let us know how everything turns out.

paganman7
07-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Daaaaaaaaaaaamn.

I'm so terribly sorry that happened to you.

Young blood
07-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Hope you get well soon, and find justice.

Fuck fresno. Fuck hate crimes and those that dare to commit them, fucking cowards.

Alchemy
07-30-2009, 09:20 AM
What a fucking horrible thing. I don't have advice either, but maybe you could talk to an anthropologist/sociologist at your local university. They should have a great bulk of information for the victims of everything, and if they don't, they'll probably start a new fund for you.

faxman75
07-30-2009, 09:24 AM
pocket, i'm sorry that shit happened to you. As far as medical bills you can't afford I have had this issue as have a lot of others I know. Honestly, don't stress over bullshit you can't control. That's my first tip. Second, I take it you have no insurance. Oh well. If you end up exhausting all your resources as to how you can get out of this jam, bankruptcy isn't the end of the world. Shit happens. It's bad enough this prick got away and you had to sustain these injuries over someone's ignorance but the calls aren't going to stop any time soon. The bills won't stop coming in the mail. You have to just tell yourself that this $$ they want is not something you have, it's not something they are likely to recieve and it's not your fault. If you feel better sending them $10 a month for the rest of your life then go for it but don't get desperate, scared or think it's the end of the world because of these medical bills. You are alive and your life is far to important and long to worry about medical debt.

Hang in there and don't let this overwhelm or consume your life.

algunz
07-30-2009, 09:32 AM
What a horrible thing, pocket.

Have you contacted any of your local gay rights organizations? I'm sure you can find people who would be happy to rally around you and hopefully point you in the right direction. Also write your representatives, congressman, senators . . . Fuck, call Gloria Allred she feeds off this shit.

Good luck and our prayers are with you. If I find any information, I will post it here for you.

PlayaDelWes
07-30-2009, 09:35 AM
That's terrible news. I've very sorry to hear that. Speaking of news, have you thought of actually calling up the news to share your story and see if anything comes out of that?

faxman75
07-30-2009, 09:44 AM
pocket, i'm assuming this is the fun you already applied for? If not.

http://www.crimevictims.gov/providers.html

Not sure if this resource can help,

http://www.aardvarc.org/victim/states/cavic.shtml

California
http://www.oes.ca.gov/Operational/OESHome.nsf/Content/D16654FCEAA5401D88256E22007F0AD5?OpenDocument

National Organization for Victims Assistance
http://www.trynova.org/

MissingPerson
07-30-2009, 09:56 AM
That's really awful pocket. Speedy recovery man.

sames44
07-30-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm very sorry this happened to you, pocket. Have you contacted Fresno's Victim Advocate Program? http://www.co.fresno.ca.us/DepartmentPage.aspx?id=12989

djandrews25
07-30-2009, 10:18 AM
That's fucking aweful.

Pixiessp
07-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Pocket, I know a few people who have been assaulted due to their sexuality. I will talk to them and report back.
Hang in there. :)

BROKENDOLL
07-30-2009, 10:37 AM
That's terrible news. I've very sorry to hear that. Speaking of news, have you thought of actually calling up the news to share your story and see if anything comes out of that?
This is the exact same advice I was gonna suggest. People need to be made aware that there's someone running around loose that does this shit unprovoked. If so, in realizing it could have been them, perhaps the citizens will be willing to start a fund to help you out, if not I'd think the city's own police could start the effort and help with those bills will be on the way. Seriously, tell your story to the local newspaper and include your pics. Somebody may even offer a reward on your behalf for information leading to an arrest or info on the motherfuckers who did this to you. For every asshole capable of doing shit like this, there's another person willing to talk for money if they know something.

PotVsKtl
lol figure skating

amyzzz
I hope that you get the help you need and recover soon. That's an appallingly horrible act. I feel so bad for you.

marooko
07-30-2009, 10:45 AM
lol figure skating

i just let it go.

BROKENDOLL
07-30-2009, 10:52 AM
lol figure skating

i just let it go.
Wrong. Sorry, PotVsKtl, but way out of line here! Doesn't matter what he was doing, or, it could have been you for that matter...No one deserves to have this happen to them, period.

pocket, I just checked your myspace page and you seem to have met and had the opportunity of meeting many well known people. Let them know your story. The power of music can be pretty strong shit, as you know, and maybe you'll end up with a fundraising show in your behalf to help with those medical bills!

PotVsKtl
07-30-2009, 10:56 AM
lol old people

marooko
07-30-2009, 10:57 AM
laughing that he was figure skating doesnt equate to saying its ok that he got beat up for it. i cant speak for pot, but for me, it was funny because of what it is. male waiters: many times you assume they're gay. male figure skaters, male ballet dancers, male hairdressers, all the same thing. not saying its so, not saying its ok. its just funny. (not ironic. as MP pointed out.)

MissingPerson
07-30-2009, 10:59 AM
That's not what Irony is.

Your stereotypically American improper use of the term in this particular context however, is mildly ironic in itself.

liquidsnake28
07-30-2009, 11:01 AM
a fundraising show in your behalf to help with those medical bills!

Yeah, because that's the most practical and realistic approach to solving this problem for sure.

PotVsKtl
07-30-2009, 11:02 AM
liquidsnake28

marooko
07-30-2009, 11:05 AM
That's not what Irony is.

Your stereotypically American improper use of the term in this particular context however, is midly ironic in itself.

good call. but what is midly?

bug on your lip
07-30-2009, 11:08 AM
not a snap

MissingPerson
07-30-2009, 11:22 AM
good call. but what is midly?

L's are sient.

EDIT:

Also, I think it's probably safe to assume that a bunch of lads with baseball bats and an inclination to gay bash might just have been hanging around the event in question for that reason exactly.

BROKENDOLL
07-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Yeah, because that's the most practical and realistic approach to solving this problem for sure.
Maybe my suggestions weren't practical or realistic, but they were better than yours. (Oh, wait. you didn't have any, did you?)

djandrews25
07-30-2009, 11:29 AM
I cant believe some people would laugh at any part of this situation.

Sexecutioner
07-30-2009, 11:32 AM
i dont know, this part made me laugh pretty hard:

lol old people

marooko
07-30-2009, 11:33 AM
L's are sient.

EDIT:

Also, I think it's probably safe to assume that a bunch of lads with baseball bats and an inclination to gay bash might just have been hanging around the event in question for that reason exactly.

this truth catches me off guard a lot, but sadly, its never surprising.

BROKENDOLL
07-30-2009, 11:40 AM
I cant believe some people would laugh at any part of this situation.

i dont know, this part made me laugh pretty hard:
pocket's story isn't funny at all, but I'm okay with your laughing at old people because I snicker to myself knowing all of you will get there one day. (Hopefully, you'll still be laughing as I do!:lool)

Now, c'mon you guys...if anyone needs help and a smile right now, it's pocket. What can we do around here?

marooko
07-30-2009, 11:44 AM
post about it. changing the world one message board at a time.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-30-2009, 11:49 AM
This is so fucked up! I wish you the best of luck with all of this. I'm glad you're healing and recovering well, at the very least!

Blinken
07-30-2009, 12:57 PM
The best advice so far is to pay $10 a month on the medical bills. It will give you the time to sort out everything. It can even be less than that, I had one friend who would write out a check $0.02 a month to pay a medical bill. It was that amount becuase they couldn't go to collections since a payment was sent in, and it costs the hospital around $0.10 to cash a check. It really is a shitty situation for you to be in, this should buy you some time to get everything figured out.

Get well soon.

pocket
07-30-2009, 01:30 PM
pocket, i'm sorry that shit happened to you. As far as medical bills you can't afford I have had this issue as have a lot of others I know. Honestly, don't stress over bullshit you can't control. That's my first tip. Second, I take it you have no insurance. Oh well. If you end up exhausting all your resources as to how you can get out of this jam, bankruptcy isn't the end of the world. Shit happens. It's bad enough this prick got away and you had to sustain these injuries over someone's ignorance but the calls aren't going to stop any time soon. The bills won't stop coming in the mail. You have to just tell yourself that this $$ they want is not something you have, it's not something they are likely to recieve and it's not your fault. If you feel better sending them $10 a month for the rest of your life then go for it but don't get desperate, scared or think it's the end of the world because of these medical bills. You are alive and your life is far to important and long to worry about medical debt.

Hang in there and don't let this overwhelm or consume your life.

i never thought of just sending in the $10 a month, that really is a fantastic idea. i have just been freaked cause i get the bills that say you owe 21,836.97, pay in full by August 6th and its like wtf. I have even called some of the hospitals I was at/transfered to to qualify for the low cost/low funded care but it seems to take forever and when I call I end up on hold for hours at a time.

I did an interview with the Fresno newspaper as well as something for a website there. apparently this is quite common in Fresno and what made matters I guess worse for me was that 2 days after my accident, someone was shot in the head and killed in about the same spot I was attacked.

The police told me it is where they do many gang initiations and such.

pocket, i'm assuming this is the fun you already applied for? If not.

http://www.crimevictims.gov/providers.html

Not sure if this resource can help,

http://www.aardvarc.org/victim/states/cavic.shtml

California
http://www.oes.ca.gov/Operational/OESHome.nsf/Content/D16654FCEAA5401D88256E22007F0AD5?OpenDocument

National Organization for Victims Assistance
http://www.trynova.org/

I had all those links except the National Organization one. Thats another resource for me to check out and I totally appreciate it. I have also applied to other funds through the hospitals as well. The problem with many of them is they want you to send in all of your bills at once, but many of my problems taking more than 3 months to heal, so I just dont have everything.

I'm very sorry this happened to you, pocket. Have you contacted Fresno's Victim Advocate Program? http://www.co.fresno.ca.us/DepartmentPage.aspx?id=12989

Yes I contacted them and they more or less are there for battered women or people who know or were able to identify their assalants. I unfortunately did not get a good look at the people, plus they want you to do lots of interviews in office in Fresno, and needless to say Fresno is a place I will NEVER be going to again.

Pocket, I know a few people who have been assaulted due to their sexuality. I will talk to them and report back.
Hang in there. :)

Thanks so much feel free to PM me if its sensitive information or anything you dont want published out to the world.

Thanks everyone else for your comments as it totally has made me feel a bit better about life and that If I just send in a few bucks each month on the bills then I wont have to worry about bankruptcy and such. I will keep everyone posted on how everything goes as well.

BlackSwan
07-30-2009, 01:44 PM
What the fuck?

I don't have any advice.

gaypalmsprings
07-30-2009, 01:51 PM
This is fucked up. You shouldn't have to pay a penny. Have you tried contacting Gay/Lesbian advocacy groups for support? Do an internet search. It sounds like you are not gay, but that shouldn't matter since you were perceived as gay. Your pictures look awful. I would hope that a gay/lesbian group could provide you with legal advice. Don't give up & my prayers are with you.

faxman75
07-30-2009, 01:58 PM
As someone who just declared bankruptcy. It's not a big deal. I did the whole thing with a smile. Don't ever let debt ruin your life. This $10 a month plan isn't going to stop them from harassing you by the way. They will be relentless with phone calls, mail and threats demanding more.

You have one of two options. You can call the billing departments of each of these places and tell them you can't afford anything more than what you want to afford...so say $15/month is your number. You negotiate and stay in good standing.

Or you avoid that all together and start mailng a check for a small amount each month. I wouldn't do less than $5 as I have heard places will accept it. Keep tight records and track your payments and your checking account, making copies of everything you send for payment. If they start cashing checks then you have a paper trail of them accepting your $5/month payments. If they mail the check back. Then you can call and try to negotiate.

From what I understand the hospital has every right to say fuck you and not accept the payment but most don't because they figure they will never see a cent so $5 is better than $0.

pocket
07-30-2009, 04:09 PM
This is fucked up. You shouldn't have to pay a penny. Have you tried contacting Gay/Lesbian advocacy groups for support? Do an internet search. It sounds like you are not gay, but that shouldn't matter since you were perceived as gay. Your pictures look awful. I would hope that a gay/lesbian group could provide you with legal advice. Don't give up & my prayers are with you.

yeah i just started doing internet searchs, i was more or less told not to be on the computer while my eye healed because they didnt want me straining the other eye, plus with the fruit salad of drugs they gave me i could barely focus on anything.

and yes i am not gay, thats why all of this is kinda weird and i feel weird asking for help from GBLT groups because I rally am not, I just get percieved by others as falling in that group.

The fresno police have listed it as a hate crime, especially since all the people stole off of me was my id and credit cards, but they left my cash, my phone, my keys, and other random things in my pockets. the police said they did that because it would make the cops that found me harder to identify.

i appreciate your thoughts and prayers GPS

As someone who just declared bankruptcy. It's not a big deal. I did the whole thing with a smile. Don't ever let debt ruin your life. This $10 a month plan isn't going to stop them from harassing you by the way. They will be relentless with phone calls, mail and threats demanding more.

You have one of two options. You can call the billing departments of each of these places and tell them you can't afford anything more than what you want to afford...so say $15/month is your number. You negotiate and stay in good standing.

Or you avoid that all together and start mailng a check for a small amount each month. I wouldn't do less than $5 as I have heard places will accept it. Keep tight records and track your payments and your checking account, making copies of everything you send for payment. If they start cashing checks then you have a paper trail of them accepting your $5/month payments. If they mail the check back. Then you can call and try to negotiate.

From what I understand the hospital has every right to say fuck you and not accept the payment but most don't because they figure they will never see a cent so $5 is better than $0.

I just mailed out $10 to each of the bills that I owe as well as made copies of the checks beofre I sent them and got tracking put on each so that I know that they are recieved by the groups.

I have called a few but they more or less are just assholes about the whole thing.

Young blood
07-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Whoa.....you ice skate and you are not gay?

chairmenmeow47
07-30-2009, 04:15 PM
i work at a university in financial aid and sometimes we have to do collections. as much as they will be assholes, at least try to maintain contact, even if you can't pay. it looks better and it makes it harder to close your case if you're both staying in contact and making some form of payment. if you avoid contact, it makes it a lot easier to close your file. and keep detailed records of everything you send, what dates you talk to people, the names of who you talk to, etc. as cheesy as it sounds, a personal planner to organize all of the dates of issue really would help. also save all documents you receive with regard to this. make copies of anything you sign if you can.

again, best of luck and sorry to hear.

bug on your lip
07-30-2009, 04:15 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/images/oly98/graphics/tonya_montage.jpg

Young blood
07-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Jealousy is a mother fucker.

pocket
07-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Whoa.....you ice skate and you are not gay?

its actually figureskating on roller skates, same thing they do on ice but with the quad skates.

it looks like this http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u56/petr4sberg/kiss.jpg
or thishttp://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u56/petr4sberg/youdel.jpg

and yeah i am not gay, i know its weird, but think of it this way, the girl to straight guy ratio is like 1:100 and most of the females are attractive and inshape so your odds are pretty good, heh.

i work at a university in financial aid and sometimes we have to do collections. as much as they will be assholes, at least try to maintain contact, even if you can't pay. it looks better and it makes it harder to close your case if you're both staying in contact and making some form of payment. if you avoid contact, it makes it a lot easier to close your file. and keep detailed records of everything you send, what dates you talk to people, the names of who you talk to, etc. as cheesy as it sounds, a personal planner to organize all of the dates of issue really would help. also save all documents you receive with regard to this. make copies of anything you sign if you can.

again, best of luck and sorry to hear.

i just went out and got an organizer and thanks to craigslist something that i can use to scan papers when i send stuff. again this is helpful advice and i appreciate it.

also a quick question since you might know, if the person i call and speak to isnt helpful should i just ask for a supervisor, because some i have tried to explain the situation to and they just say i have to pay and really don't listen.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/images/oly98/graphics/tonya_montage.jpg

this made me lolz.

RotationSlimWang
07-30-2009, 08:56 PM
lol rollerfigureskating

Sexecutioner
07-30-2009, 09:46 PM
As someone who just declared bankruptcy. It's not a big deal.

except that it totally fucks your credit, which is a really big deal, if you ask me.

hawkingvsreeve
07-30-2009, 09:57 PM
I'd say being alive is more important than a credit score.

RotationSlimWang
07-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Sounds like communist jargon to me, Brandon.

chiapet
07-30-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm sorry to hear what happened to you... it is pretty messed up. But you should reach out to the GLBT organizations, even though you are not gay. (I'm assuming you're not a bigot yourself or anything, yea?) It doesn't matter that you're straight, the community is concerned with hate crimes against people perceived to be gay, which is what happened to you. It may not help pay your bills but it might help catch the people who did this.

My only experience with filing for victims of crime compensation was quite a few years ago, but my memory of it was that they said it would take "up to" 3 months (90 days) to review, my lawyer warned me that it would probably take that full time, and it did take almost the full 3 months. The upside was that once the case was finally reviewed they sent a check almost immediately.

algunz
07-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Have you dealt at all with the group that sponsored the event?

boarderwoozel3
07-30-2009, 11:50 PM
If you haven't already make plans to start seeing a counselor for PTSD. It's a vital step. All the best in your recovery.

RotationSlimWang
07-30-2009, 11:53 PM
Have you considered suing the rollerfigureskating institution for perpetuating a recreation that lead to getting you gaybashed?

algunz
07-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Hey, that was my question!

RageAgainstTheAoki
07-31-2009, 12:55 AM
How absolutely dreadful. Do you have a lawyer? If not, I would consider getting in touch with the local ACLU office. If they can't help, they often can put you in touch with local civil rights attorneys who will handle cases like yours for little or no money. I have a contact at the ACLU down here, but I think it would be better to talk to someone in your area.

caco0283
07-31-2009, 06:27 AM
its actually figureskating on roller skates, same thing they do on ice but with the quad skates.

Come on now....that's gayer than aids. Admit it...you got at least half a chub during the sex scene in Brokeback Mountain.

BTW...glad to see youre back

Sexecutioner
07-31-2009, 04:12 PM
I'd say being alive is more important than a credit score.

WTF are you talking about? I was referring to declaring bankruptcy, which as far as i know, will not affect whether he lives or dies.