PDA

View Full Version : Tony Wilson @ Coachella

mob roulette
02-17-2007, 08:23 PM
from spin (http://www.spin.com/features/news/2007/02/070216_tonywilson/)

despite cancer. vegasoasis just dropped this in the lineup section but i'm reposting over here so that we might peruse it. this is a scoop son. he's allegedly going to be on stage to introduce the mondays. sounds like he's going to have the sunday night after party too. DESPITE cancer. that's hot. way to go buddy. way. to. go.

ok discuss

Hannahrain
02-18-2007, 12:18 AM
look, mob. tumbleweeds.

mob roulette
02-18-2007, 01:03 AM
loser. it won't let me delete.

but yeah, i deserved that.

Hannahrain
02-18-2007, 02:10 AM
ps http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?p=61939#post61939

smilingdownward
02-18-2007, 02:30 AM
he was there in 2005 with gang of four and new order. he will more than likely itroduce happy mondays like he did with gang of four.

kroqken
11-21-2008, 08:02 PM
I cannot believe I found this thread. Tony Wilson's last appearance EVER was introducing the Happy Mondays at Coachella. Even though the Happy Mondays sucked that night, I was so honored to see Mr. WIlson in his final days just feet away from me. That is one of my biggest highlights of all time in terms of Coachella memories.

Pixiessp
11-21-2008, 08:04 PM
:( :(

kroqken
11-21-2008, 08:06 PM
I know, that movie "24 Hour Party People" did not do Mr. Wilson justice. His contributions to music is legendary.
Tony Wilson = John Peel

kitt kat
11-21-2008, 08:20 PM
That man was God for a while.

jazzz
11-21-2008, 08:20 PM
did anyone catch Tony's favorites A CERTAIN RATIO the other night in LA?

kroqken
11-21-2008, 08:22 PM
What is A CERTAIN RATIO? Do tell.

jazzz
11-21-2008, 08:33 PM
A CERTAIN RATIO is one of Factory greatest bands. They were the true post punk funk! They were a huge influence on The Happy Mondays. Produced by Martin Hannet

Pixiessp
11-21-2008, 08:39 PM
you have peaked my interest Jazzz.

jazzz
11-21-2008, 08:56 PM
you have peaked my interest Jazzz.

Hey Pixiessp!!

I recommend the early stuff! the mid to late 80's is ok but not anything like the early records
the top records I like are
The Graveyard and the Ballroom
Too Each
Sextet

Also the label Soul Jazz released a record called "Early" I would get that to start with!

jazzz
11-21-2008, 09:00 PM
I know, that movie "24 Hour Party People" did not do Mr. Wilson justice. His contributions to music is legendary.
Tony Wilson = John Peel

A Certain Ratio was suppose to be the band in the movie that Tony was rubbing oil or something on their knees before they were going on...

kroqken
11-21-2008, 09:41 PM
I will have to check out A Certain Ratio. If they influenced the Happy Mondays, they are at least halfway decent.

Sonicifyouwantit
11-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Tony Wilson = John Peel

24 hour party people was great!

Pixiessp
11-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Hey Pixiessp!!

I recommend the early stuff! the mid to late 80's is ok but not anything like the early records
the top records I like are
The Graveyard and the Ballroom
Too Each
Sextet

Also the label Soul Jazz released a record called "Early" I would get that to start with!

will do. thanks!!

jazzz
11-21-2008, 10:04 PM
I will have to check out A Certain Ratio. If they influenced the Happy Mondays, they are at least halfway decent.

again make sure its the early stuff you check out

kroqken
11-21-2008, 10:05 PM
24 hour party people was great!

24 Hour Party People was a decent film, but I wanted more details on Tony Wilson's life, especially after his heyday had peaked.

Sonicifyouwantit
11-21-2008, 10:16 PM
I think they left off at good spot. gave it a legen (wait for it) dary feel

jazzz
11-21-2008, 10:17 PM
there was a good documentary on Tony Wilson and Factory Records that was played on Night Flight back around 87' I'm sure it's floating around somewhere. I remember watching it at a party being pissed I wasn't able to record it. Back then I recorded tons of rare footage of the sort.

kroqken
11-21-2008, 10:18 PM
I guess I like more details. Of course, it is hard to put a person's entire life in a 2 hour film. I thought "Control" did a better job showing the brief life of Joy Division's Ian Curtis.

Sonicifyouwantit
11-21-2008, 10:19 PM
I liked control, I loved the new documentary "Joy Division" better

kroqken
11-21-2008, 10:20 PM
I am planning to see "Joy Division" when I get a chance. I have heard great things about it.

sacleonard
11-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Tony Wilson's introduction was the only worthwhile part of the Happy Monday's appearance. What a complete train wreck.

jazzz
11-21-2008, 10:55 PM
too bad BEZ wasn't there.. I think that would of made a world of difference. I seen them for the Call The Cops tour 89' or 90' and it was a fucking non-stop party!

kroqken
11-22-2008, 06:10 AM
The Happy Mondays sucked at Coachella. The lead singer forgot his lyrics and had to read them off a machine. That black lady, who is not an original member of the band, did more singing than the original lead singer. Bez could not get a visa to travel.

shakermaker113
11-22-2008, 06:35 AM
The Happy Mondays sucked at Coachella. The lead singer forgot his lyrics and had to read them off a machine. That black lady, who is not an original member of the band, did more singing than the original lead singer. Bez could not get a visa to travel.

you were expecting more from them? they've always been a trainwreck. I enjoyed a few of the songs that I witnessed, but I never on any account expect shaun ryder to be good at anything except taking drugs.

kroqken
11-22-2008, 06:46 AM
THe fact that Shaun Ryder is even alive in 2008 is a major accomplishment.

jazzz
11-22-2008, 11:07 AM
If HAPPY MONDAYS came back I would give em' another shot!

kroqken
11-22-2008, 12:50 PM
I would also. The Cure were boring at Coachella 2004, in my opinion, but I heard they were much better live on subsequent tours. However, Ryder has taken SO MANY DRUGS that is mind will never be 100 percent functional.

jazzz
11-22-2008, 06:59 PM
I would also. The Cure were boring at Coachella 2004, in my opinion, but I heard they were much better live on subsequent tours. However, Ryder has taken SO MANY DRUGS that is mind will never be 100 percent functional.

I think Shaun Ryder still has a trick or two up his sleeve. I mean the last Mondays album wasn't bad at all. And when the Mondays split the first time everyone thought Shaun was too far gone then bam! we got Black Grape which was fucking right on too...

PS. THE CURE are never boring.

goodgrl
11-22-2008, 07:12 PM
THe fact that Shaun Ryder is even alive in 2008 is a major accomplishment.

Agreed!

I saw them in '91. Total effing trainwreck. I couldnt believe it. Ryder
was so wasted. He barely pulled it off.

The joy division doc. was a pleasant surprise.

kroqken
11-22-2008, 09:55 PM
I think Shaun Ryder still has a trick or two up his sleeve. I mean the last Mondays album wasn't bad at all. And when the Mondays split the first time everyone thought Shaun was too far gone then bam! we got Black Grape which was fucking right on too...

PS. THE CURE are never boring.

Sorry, but they were boring at Coachella 2004, especially compared to earlier sets by the Pixies, the Flaming Lips and Radiohead. And yes, I am a Cure fan. Other reviews of their 2004 Coachella appearance said it was a boring performance. I am curious what other board members who saw that appearance have to say about it.

sacleonard
11-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Sorry, but they were boring at Coachella 2004, especially compared to earlier sets by the Pixies, the Flaming Lips and Radiohead. And yes, I am a Cure fan. Other reviews of their 2004 Coachella appearance said it was a boring performance. I am curious what other board members who saw that appearance have to say about it.

The Flaming Lips set was long on banter, but short on music. I don't have an exact count, but it seemed like they only played 6-8 songs b/c Wayne & Co. had lengthy delays between each song. I think that their fragmented set, as well as The Cure starting late deflated the Sunday night crowd.

Also, as it's been stated on the Cure Tour thread, it seems like it takes them an hour to warm up. They were just getting into their groove as the clocks were chiming midnight. Those who stuck around would probably agree that the second half was better than the first...

That being said, their 2004 show ranked somewhere in the middle of the pack for me. I think that having Porl back (with a new CD too), they've received glowing reviews from other shows. I would really like for them to make another appearance in 2009.

shakermaker113
11-23-2008, 02:08 PM
The Flaming Lips set was long on banter, but short on music. I don't have an exact count, but it seemed like they only played 6-8 songs b/c Wayne & Co. had lengthy delays between each song. I think that their fragmented set, as well as The Cure starting late deflated the Sunday night crowd.

6-8? HAHAHAHA. no, it was FOUR songs. they played race for the prize, fight test, the gash, and yoshimi battles the pink robots pt 1. five songs if you count them singing happy birthday to beck's unborn child. which you shouldn't.

BUT those four songs were fucking awesome. and we got to see wayne walk on the crowd in the hampster ball, which had never been done before. watching all the balloons bouncing on the crowd, and all the furry animals on stage, during that set, is still one of my best coachella memories.

sacleonard
11-23-2008, 06:15 PM
6-8? HAHAHAHA. no, it was FOUR songs. they played race for the prize, fight test, the gash, and yoshimi battles the pink robots pt 1. five songs if you count them singing happy birthday to beck's unborn child. which you shouldn't.

BUT those four songs were fucking awesome. and we got to see wayne walk on the crowd in the hampster ball, which had never been done before. watching all the balloons bouncing on the crowd, and all the furry animals on stage, during that set, is still one of my best coachella memories.

Thanks for the clarification. I have to admit that watching Wayne inside the ball was pretty cool, and I am glad that it's included on the DVD.

kroqken
11-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Wayne went over me when he was in the ball. I hope the Flaming Lips come back to Coachella 2009 and play way more songs. I will go out on a limb and say the Flaming Lips are big enough to HEADLINE Coachella.