PDA

View Full Version : It also rained Barth...

CuervoPH
07-24-2009, 08:39 PM
This week, and there may have already been a thread about it, but between the raining Gidget, raining Cronkite, and raining Frank McCourt threads, I might have missed it...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/24/arts/television/24lye.html?_r=1

Les Lye, Canadian TV Comic, Dies at 84

Les Lye, a Canadian actor and broadcaster best known in the United States as a cast member of the children's comedy show ''You Can't Do That on Television,'' died Tuesday in Ottawa. He was 84.

His death was announced by the Canadian network CTV.

“You Can’t Do That on Television,” a sort of junior version of “Laugh-In,” had its premiere in 1979 on the Ottawa station CJOH-TV. Mr. Lye appeared in comedy sketches with the show’s young performers, playing foils like Barth of the hamburger stand Barth’s Burgery and the captain of a firing squad that was usually about to execute the children.

When it was shown on Nickelodeon in the early ’80s, it quickly became one of that channel’s most popular programs. It ran until 1990 in Canada, then continued in Nickelodeon reruns.

Born in Toronto on Nov. 18, 1924, Leslie Earnest Lye served briefly in the armed forces, then earned a degree from the University of Toronto and studied at Lorne Greene’s Academy of Radio Arts.

Mr. Lye began his broadcast career in 1948 at the talk radio station CFRA, where he worked with the comedian and impersonator Rich Little. They made a comedy album, “My Fellow Canadians.”

In 1961, he joined CJOH as a freelance writer and performer.

Mr. Lye and Bill Luxton created the popular comedy duo Uncle Willy and Floyd, who appeared on Canadian television for more than 20 years and drew many famous guest stars like Alanis Morissette and Margaret Trudeau.

Mr. Lye is survived by his wife, Johnni, and three children, Brett, Daralyn and Emily.

rskapcat
07-25-2009, 05:01 AM
Aww, that makes me sad. I loved You Can't Do That on Television. :(

marooko
07-25-2009, 07:36 AM
now THIS is sad news. RIP.

GoEastYoungMan
07-27-2009, 10:58 AM
R.I.P. Les.

MBTrjZCyO94

Motherfuckers need to release DVDs of this show.

chairmenmeow47
07-27-2009, 11:07 AM
wonder if the burial will end with the coffin being slimed.